PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two Colleges in the Big South

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 12:41 PM
We've got big doin's goins on down here in South Carolina folks. The rilvary between Charleston Southern University and Coastal Carolina University is simmering, waiting for the last week of football to boil over. We have the two POWERHOUSES OF THE BIG SOUTH CONFERENCE battling thier way to a playoff bid and one towards a perfect season. Charleston Southern is an incredible 9-0 this season with an amazing win over The Citadel(SoCon), and wins over weaker schools like North Greenville and Edward Waters. Coastal Carolina had 4 Southern Conference schools on thier battleplan. The Chants came out 2-2. The losses were hand down by Elon and Georgia Southern but the wins came over Furman and Wofford.

Both squads have defeated all thier Conference opponets thus far and are gearing up for another conference game this weekend. Both squads have amazing talent behind the ball with players like Drafts, Thigpen, and Perkins.

Charleston Southern has a combined opponents win/loss of 43-49
Coastal Carolina has a combined opponents win/loss of 36-46

more to come...xcoffeex

closed circuit to CSUBUCS: Were your suspicions correct?

rokamortis
November 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM
before this talk goes any further - I just want to go on record saying we still need to play and hopefully beat Gardner-Webb!

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM
xlolx Edgar Waters!!!

Coastal89
November 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM
CSU's I-AA competition has a combined record of 13-32, their D-II comp. is combined 21-9, and Ed is naia 1-8.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I know this may give fuel to you guy’s fire but I think PC is the toughest team we have played this year. Tougher than any of the 1-AA’s Citadel, Sav. State, VMI, G-Webb.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM
before this talk goes any further - I just want to go on record saying we still need to play and hopefully beat Gardner-Webb!

I agree, and this isn't about boasting or bragging. No sirre bob!

Ol Blue
November 6th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I know this may give fuel to you guy’s fire but I think PC is the toughest team we have played this year. Tougher than any of the 1-AA’s Citadel, Sav. State, VMI, G-Webb.

I would have to agree, except for the Citadel part which I didn't see, but sounded tough at the end.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 01:09 PM
xlolx Edgar Waters!!!

for some reason i keep wanting to call it edgar watersxlolx

drjman
November 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Maybe we can get Edgar Winters next year. Isn't he kinda long in the tooth?

OLDLCOACH111
November 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM
. We have the two POWERHOUSES OF THE BIG SOUTH CONFERENCE battling thier way to a playoff bid and one towards a perfect season.
closed circuit to CSUBUCS: Were your suspicions correct?

I'm sorry but I would not consider CSU a powerhouse. Yes they won a share of the conference last year, and beat two teams so far this year, but their league dominance has to be longer than a year in a half to for me to consider them that good. Don't forget, it wasn't that longer ago (2003) that this team was not winning any games. They shared their first ever championship with coastal last year.

Also, I don't think Presbyterian is better than GW OR VMI

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM
If Edgar Winters plays at your place, do you think he'll wear his all white uniform?

Thanks, I'll be here all week...

drjman
November 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I'm sorry but I would not consider CSU a powerhouse. Yes they won a share of the conference last year, and beat two teams so far this year, but their league dominance has to be longer than a year in a half to for me to consider them that good. Don't forget, it wasn't that longer ago (2003) that this team was not winning any games. They shared their first ever championship with coastal last year.

Also, I don't think Presbyterian is better than GW OR VMI

Agreed on all counts. I wouldn't say Powerhouse. Up-and-Comer maybe.

But part of your response is why Buc fans are excited--just two years ago 1-11. We can be happy if we want to be. And if they overreach, so what? It'll all come out on the field.

No one at CSU is under the illusion that they're playoff material, as far as I can see. There's a lot of talk but isn't that the fun of it? Could it happen--it could. Will it? Probably not.

Nobody this year with the exception of Appy as far as I can see, is as good as they think they are, or should be for that matter (my alma mater Furman is a prime example).

As far as PC, they will be competitive in the league at least eventually, and the Big South is a step closer to an automatic bid!

Until Coastal ditches us.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
look at our conference....

i'm being generous and trying to get CSUBUCS and CSUdad fired up...

literary liscense

rokamortis
November 6th, 2006, 01:42 PM
No one at CSU is under the illusion that they're playoff material, as far as I can see. There's a lot of talk but isn't that the fun of it? Could it happen--it could. Will it? Probably not.

Your quarterback was quoted in the Charleston newspaper as saying if they win out that they will go to the playoffs.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM
l

i'm being generous and trying to get CSUBUCS and CSUdad fired up...

You know I'm capable of getting fired-up all by myself…………
No assistance needed

lol

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
still, i like to instigate as much and as often as i can

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Your quarterback was quoted in the Charleston newspaper as saying if they win out that they will go to the playoffs.

What would you expect him to say when asked "if you win out do you think you'll go to the play-offs" he's a player, he has to believe or he wouldn't be competitive. I’m sure privately he and the rest of the players know the odds that are stacked against them.

I hope they play balls out these next two weeks as if a national championship is on the line. Let the players take care of what they can control and worry about the rest after it’s over.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 01:49 PM

yeah I read that

drjman
November 6th, 2006, 01:55 PM
The folly of youth. Thank God I'm not held accountable for everything I said or did when I was 18-21.

It's something to shoot for. They know that if they don't win, they definitely don't have a chance.

That said, he's wrong and everybody knows it.

I assure you the coaches are not feeding that to him, per my conversation with Coach Mills ten minutes ago. Collin's father--his chief influence doesn't believe it either. The AD who has a vote in the Poll doesn't think we stand a snowball's chance.

rokamortis
November 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm not holding him accountable - just letting you know since you didn't think anyone felt that way.

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I think it's best that he and the rest of the team does believe it. It gives them more motivation to play hard and win these next two games. More to play far in their mind.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I think CSU knows that the only game that have a chance of losing is Coastal. CSU should take Liberty, but i'm still hoping on a LU victory. I doubt anyone seriously believes they will make the playoffs, even with the perfect season, except for maybe the homers

drjman
November 6th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks I'll be sure and get your corrections from now on.xsmileyclapx

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
no problem dude

Where in Charleston are you?

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Since 2003 CSU's record is 21-19
Since 2003 CCU's record is 31-10

I used 2003 b/c that's Coastal's first year

CSU BUCS
November 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM
It’s the first time a CSU senior class has a chance to go out with a winning record.

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Really?

CSUBUCDAD
November 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM
You know I'm capable of getting fired-up all by myself…………
No assistance needed

lol
As is this old dog.