PDA

View Full Version : Payton Award?

DinoDex200
November 6th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Sorry if there's already a thread about this. Just curious who everyone thought would take home the Trophy?

After perusing the list of candidates, I have to say I would vote for Marcus Mason from YSU. Not only is he putting up big numbers, but he's stepped up in big games against UNI and S. Illinois, and has 2 200 yd. performances in his last 4 games.

That being said, Ricky Santos is still having a big year, despite a rough patch for UNH. He has more name recognition, so I expect to see him in the Final 3.

Thoughts? Observations? Opinions?

The Buchanan Battle seems more convoluted, although it appears Cal Poly has another player in the running (Really curious how they keep stats over there). It appears ASU's Marques Murrell might be fading out of the race as his sack total has tailed off here in the last few games.

UMass922
November 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Right now I'd put Mason first and Santos second.

DinoDex200
November 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Me too. Kind of weird, it seems like it's been a while since the Payton Award winner came from a serious National Title contender. I guess I just remember the days when I first started following I-AA, and Adrian Peterson and Louis Ivory were battling for the award...while Furman and GSU were both going to the Semis or further.

I honestly can say lack of luster is almost the same for the Heisman, as it seems Troy Smith is the leading candidate by default.

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Marcus Mason is the #1 RUNNING BACK in Division I Football statistically; that includes I-A and I-AA!!!

I sure hope Mason gets the Payton!!! Just look at my signature!

DinoDex200
November 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Marcus Mason is the #1 RUNNING BACK in Division I Football statistically; that includes I-A and I-AA!!!

I sure hope Mason gets the Payton!!! Just look at my signature!

Good to see this thread has taken a prudent turn. :D

Reed Rothchild
November 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Mason deserves it but Santos will win it due to more hype coming into the year and East Coast Bias.

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 07:20 PM
what about ball? sure he had some down games, but breaking records that j. rice set is no small task, and plus they might give it to him for that fact, his career work.

WildcatFan
November 6th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Mason deserves it but Santos will win it due to more hype coming into the year and East Coast Bias.

Right because last year's winner was from the East Coast.

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Right because last year's winner was from the East Coast.

big sky pride!!!

BEAR
November 6th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Well, it is hard to say who can win the award when some of the best players are on a team that plays "as a team" not rely on one guy to perform great efforts. I mean if a team has 2 RBs that average 100 yards a game, two receivers that average 100 yards a game then that pretty much rules them out. But if a team has one guy that has to be "the" guy, like catch or run for 200 yards a game, then somehow people see him as extraordinary. That isn't football to me. It's a great effort by that individual but you have to remember it's a football team. It's a team effort, and sometimes "star" players step back to let the "other" players step up against certain defenses that are more to their fit. I applaud all the candidates you have mentioned, but I have to wonder why the other teammates aren't carrying their loads.:eyebrow:
Confusing enough? xlolx

WildcatFan
November 7th, 2006, 04:34 AM
big sky pride!!!As he should be - great player that definitely deserved the award.

UNH 40
November 7th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Unlike the Hiesman this is an award that seldomly, if ever goes to a underclassmen, if there was ever a year where an underclassmen should have recieved the award it was last year. I think Santos has a great chance still, but he is still an underclassmen. I would not be surprised to see Ball recieve the award based on his career and season achievements. He is still going to have 1000 yards recieving and 15 TD's.

DinoDex200
November 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Unlike the Hiesman this is an award that seldomly, if ever goes to a underclassmen, if there was ever a year where an underclassmen should have recieved the award it was last year. I think Santos has a great chance still, but he is still an underclassmen. I would not be surprised to see Ball recieve the award based on his career and season achievements. He is still going to have 1000 yards recieving and 15 TD's.

Adrian Peterson won as a Sophmore, and then never won it again, IIRC. His junior year, he lost to another Junior, Louis Ivory.

AFAIK, they've never given the Heisman to a Soph.

Regarding someone's argument about "team" players. While I do somewhat see the point...it's not like Marcus Mason can pick up all those yards without a line that blocks or a D that keeps the other team off the field.

Same could be said for most of these players.

UNH 40
November 7th, 2006, 09:15 AM
my bad I thought Peterson was a senior in that season. I didn't know what Ivory was. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Appguy
November 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Look at it this way.
Santos in my opinion shouldnt be in the top 5 even.
Santos has thrown the ball over 300 times and gotten less yards or comparable stats to the other QBs like Thigpen or Murietta. Plus, in my opinion awards should go to all pass or all run systems. This year it should go to a runningback. Mason right now, but Kevin Richardson could put up rediculous #s on Western so im not counting him out.

DinoDex200
November 7th, 2006, 09:28 AM
my bad I thought Peterson was a senior in that season. I didn't know what Ivory was. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

No mistake...you said "seldom", which is true. I was just pointing out that your class status is not a determining factor.

I do think you have to be on a decent team, though. A few years back, when Davon Fowlkes was shattering records at ASU, he didn't win...pretty much because ASU was 6-5 that year. If he had put up those numbers in a year like this for App, I think he walks away with it.

DinoDex200
November 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Look at it this way.
Santos in my opinion shouldnt be in the top 5 even.
Santos has thrown the ball over 300 times and gotten less yards or comparable stats to the other QBs like Thigpen or Murietta. Plus, in my opinion awards should go to all pass or all run systems. This year it should go to a runningback. Mason right now, but Kevin Richardson could put up rediculous #s on Western so im not counting him out.

KR would have to rush for 500 yards and 6 against WCU to even come close to winning.They aren't going to give it to a guy with 1100 yards rushing, regardless of how many TD's he has.

I think next year is when he will really make a push...especially if he gets heavily involved in both the passing and running game.

Appguy
November 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Masons 1500 yards of offense and Richardsons 1200 yards, both with 19 Tds are comparable esp since Mason has 50 more carries.

DinoDex200
November 7th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Masons 1500 yards of offense and Richardsons 1200 yards, both with 19 Tds are comparable esp since Mason has 50 more carries.

These are the kind of numbers Richardson would have to put up in the regular season to win the Payton:

Rush Yds TD Rec. Yds TD
266 1433 19 52 558 2

Those are his numbers from 15 games last year (I think he may have missed one along the way). If he could do that, he would win the Payton. Right now, though, he's not even averaging over 100 Rush YPG. They aren't going to give it to a guy that doesn't do that.

Also, I think his receiving totals will be discounted, because they aren't eye-popping enough.

I think our offense fell off a bit, for obvious reasons, this year. We are putting up similar point totals, but the yardage isn't there. I think that's in part to our D giving us a short field very often. Next year, with Armanti having more experience as a passer, it will open up the running game more for KR.

I believe Mason has 2 games left? He could be pushing 1700-1800 yards byt that point.

bodoyle
November 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM
santos winning the Payton? :eek:

ball winning it? :eek:

If they want to have a feel good, congratulations on a nice career award winner, fine have one. Either that or change the definition of what the Payton stands for.

Last time I checked, it was the best player for that one season. santos is not the best player on his team, and ball does not deserve it unless they change the meaning of the award (see above) And last time I checked unh still won 10-6 when ball did nothing in a nor'easter.

DinoDex200
November 7th, 2006, 10:19 AM
santos winning the Payton? :eek:

ball winning it? :eek:

If they want to have a feel good, congratulations on a nice career award winner, fine have one. Either that or change the definition of what the Payton stands for.

Last time I checked, it was the best player for that one season. santos is not the best player on his team, and ball does not deserve it unless they change the meaning of the award (see above) And last time I checked unh still won 10-6 when ball did nothing in a nor'easter.

Well, not everyone sees it that way, in the Payton or Heisman. Alot of times, it does become a career achievement award. For example...Ron Dayne won the Heisman in '99, which was arguably his worst season...but he broke Ricky Williams' all-time rushing record that year. Joe Hamilton (2nd...I thought should have won) had the more eye-popping numbers, and Michael Vick (3rd) was probably the National MVP in leading VPI to an undefeated season and National Title Game berth...but those weren't the criteria voters were using.

bodoyle
November 7th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Well, not everyone sees it that way, in the Payton or Heisman. Alot of times, it does become a career achievement award. For example...Ron Dayne won the Heisman in '99, which was arguably his worst season...but he broke Ricky Williams' all-time rushing record that year. Joe Hamilton (2nd...I thought should have won) had the more eye-popping numbers, and Michael Vick (3rd) was probably the National MVP in leading VPI to an undefeated season and National Title Game berth...but those weren't the criteria voters were using.

You're preaching to the choir here Dino. dayne did deserve it his Jr year, but not his Sr year. Okla QB, was it heupel (hype el) didnt deserve it when he won either.

DinoDex200
November 7th, 2006, 10:51 AM
You're preaching to the choir here Dino. dayne did deserve it his Jr year, but not his Sr year. Okla QB, was it heupel (hype el) didnt deserve it when he won either.

Jason White. There have been a few stinkers the last few years...Eric Crouch, Weinke, White, etc.

Of course, it's not like the Heisman is known for equating to NFL success. Right, Rashaan Salaam, Andre Ware, and Ty Detmer? :)

Appguy
November 7th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I wouldnt say Whites a stinker, had bad knees. IMO Weinke never got a great shot at the NFL, Panthers pulled him after a year...granted they were 1-15

DinoDex200
November 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I wouldnt say Whites a stinker, had bad knees. IMO Weinke never got a great shot at the NFL, Panthers pulled him after a year...granted they were 1-15

Weinke was also close to 28 when he entered the NFL.

White's horrendous performances in 2 National Title games, and one Big 12 title game, lead me to say he put up good numbers due to weak Big 12 D's, and a ton of talent around him (Mark Clayton, Quentin Griffin, A. Peterson, etc.).

Also, there's the fact that he wasn't drafted, and couldn't even make it in open tryouts.

Appguy
November 7th, 2006, 12:33 PM
he made the titans but his knees couldnt take the two-a-days

jmuroller
November 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM
A month ago Santos was a sure bet...but now it is up for grabs. Alot can be said about it in the next few weeks.