PDA

View Full Version : 11/11/06 Ivy Games

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM
This week's schedule includes Brown at Dartmouth, Princeton at Yale (Ivy game of the year?), Cornell at Columbia and Harvard at Penn. YaleFootballFan earned the right to make the first forecast this week, due to his unblemished 4-0 prediction record last week.:nod: YFF, the floor is yours!

bulldog10jw
November 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM
This week's schedule includes Brown at Dartmouth, Princeton at Yale (Ivy game of the year?), Cornell at Columbia and Harvard at Penn. YaleFootballFan earned the right to make the first forecast this week, due to his unblemished 4-0 prediction record last week.:nod: YFF, the floor is yours!

I'll be disappointed if it's nice this weekend and Y-P doesn't draw 25-30k. I would think the Tiger fans would be coming out of the woodwork after the last couple(three ?) of years and the way they have lost to Yale. Yale hasn't been in this position for a while so some of their fair weather fans should make an appearance.

Then again, you can never lose money betting on the apathy of Ivy Leaguers.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM

xlolx

FWIW Princeton fans seemed to really respond to the Princeton/Harvard game earlier this year, and the miracle win last week should keep interest up. Princeton never seems to travel well to Lehigh or Lafayette, though, which is a real travesty since they're what, an hour or so away from us? I've always been mystified by that. With 18,000 at Harvard/Princeton, you'd think more than a lousy 500 or so would come up to the Lehigh Valley.

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I'll be disappointed if it's nice this weekend and Y-P doesn't draw 25-30k. I would think the Tiger fans would be coming out of the woodwork after the last couple(three ?) of years and the way they have lost to Yale. Yale hasn't been in this position for a while so some of their fair weather fans should make an appearance.

You're right about the apathy. Only 14K or so showed up at P'ton for the Penn game, and I was shocked that barely 16K got there for the Harvard game. Harvard-Yale should have its usual Cambridge sellout, particularly if H still has a shot at a piece of the title.

bulldog10jw
November 6th, 2006, 11:52 AM
You're right about the apathy. Only 14K or so showed up at P'ton for the Penn game, and I was shocked that barely 16K got there for the Harvard game. Harvard-Yale should have its usual Cambridge sellout, particularly if H still has a shot at a piece of the title.

I think Yale's rivalry with Princeton is similar to Harvard's with Dartmouth. It's a big game for Y and H, just not as big as the game with each other. For Princeton and Dartmouth their games against Yale and Harvard respectively, are their games of the year. That makes me think there is a chance for a pretty good crowd at the Bowl Saturday.

There is still that apathy thing, though.: smh :

Pard4Life
November 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Is the Y-P game going to be on YES? If so... will tape it...

Those 500 or so from the LV will be at Lafayette this weekend :D

Great seeing the Ivy make play #1 on sportscenter... eat it I-A!

bulldog10jw
November 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Is the Y-P game going to be on YES? If so... will tape it...

As far as I know, no TV.

Pard4Life
November 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
As far as I know, no TV.

awful... an Ivy is game is usually on each Saturday.. likely a Cornell or Dartmouth game this week :rolleyes:

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2006, 12:53 PM
awful... an Ivy is game is usually on each Saturday.. likely a Cornell or Dartmouth game this week :rolleyes:

Harvard-Penn is on CN8!:hurray: :hurray:

bulldog10jw
November 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Harvard-Penn is on CN8!:hurray: :hurray:

Looks like I'll be listening to Y-P and watching H-P. :nod:

LeopardFan04
November 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Looks like the YES game this week is Penn St./Temple...:rolleyes:

Wonder why there's no Ivy game...

http://mattsarz44017.tripod.com/2006/week11.html

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Penn State - Temple??? WTF! What a waste of fricking airtime! I'm calling the FCC!!!

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM

LF: The link clearly shows that Harvard-Penn is on CN8.:nod:

bulldog10jw
November 6th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Penn State - Temple??? WTF! What a waste of fricking airtime! I'm calling the FCC!!!

They will spend more time talking about Joe Pa's broken leg than they will talking about the game.

Harvard Worship
November 6th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Harvard-Penn is on CN8!
I love CN8. The best part is that you can get it anywhere in the country, for free, over the internet at ne.cn8.com. Although sometimes the feed doesn't work so well, and other times the commentators have trouble getting the kids' names right (Patrick Fitzgerald, anyone?).

Ivytalk
November 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Where's your prognostication? My trigger finger is getting itchy!:nod: :p ;)

bulldog10jw
November 7th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Where's your prognostication? My trigger finger is getting itchy!:nod: :p ;)

He probably has a real job.:)

Ivytalk
November 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
He probably has a real job.:)

Ow! OWW!:(

:p :p

I saw YFF "surfing" last night. Probably calling his bookie before he makes his picks!:D

YaleFootballFan
November 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I'm here! :D

Anyway, here's my picks for Saturday....

Brown at Dartmouth - Brown has a dangerous offense and should handle Dartmouth pretty easily. Bears roll, 35-10.

Cornell at Columbia - I'm going to go out on a limb and pick the Lions here. Yeah, the Big Red are the better team, but I think Columbia will end the year with at least one win. Saturday they get their first and only Ivy "W," 14-13.

Princeton at Yale - The game of the week. Both these teams scrimmaged each other back in early September with Yale coming up victorious. Couple that with Yale's dominance over the Tigers over the last 4 years, you'd think Princeton is due. Wrong. However, this will be close. Yale wins 28-24 and clinches a share of the Ivy title before 30,000 at the Bowl.

Harvard at Penn - Harvard takes advantage of a demoralized Quaker team and wins 38-21 setting up the big showdown against Yale.

YaleFootballFan
November 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM

I'm wondering the same thing.

YES is done with its Ivy games for '06. Next week there are no Ivy/YES games either.

bulldog10jw
November 7th, 2006, 07:50 PM

Brown at Dartmouth - Brown has a dangerous offense and should handle Dartmouth pretty easily. Bears roll, 35-10.

Cornell at Columbia - I'm going to go out on a limb and pick the Lions here. Yeah, the Big Red are the better team, but I think Columbia will end the year with at least one win. Saturday they get their first and only Ivy "W," 14-13.

Princeton at Yale - The game of the week. Both these teams scrimmaged each other back in early September with Yale coming up victorious. Couple that with Yale's dominance over the Tigers over the last 4 years, you'd think Princeton is due. Wrong. However, this will be close. Yale wins 28-24 and clinches a share of the Ivy title before 30,000 at the Bowl.

Harvard at Penn - Harvard takes advantage of a demoralized Quaker team and wins 38-21 setting up the big showdown against Yale.

Columbia cannot put up enough points to beat anybody, so I like Cornell 21-3.

I agree with your other picks. I think that although Penn will play hard, there's a feeling of doom now over the team. Crimson should roll 35-17.

Brown can still salvage a .500 season and is just better than Dartmouth. Brown 24-10.

Yale and Princeton are evenly matched and they both seem to have the breaks going their way this season. Yale is the the pick just by the margin of the home field. Bulldogs 24-23. (what else would I say:) )

Ivytalk
November 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for finally showing up, fellas!

Brown 26, Dartmouth 23: Dartmouth's late surge is held off, again.
Cornell 14, Columbia 10: I wish I could join YFF's upset pick, but the Lions' anemic O will torpedo them in the Battle of Broadway.
Yale 28, Princeton 24: Because Yale is in Princeton's heads, and is a slightly better team. McLeod runs for 130.
Harvard 24, Penn 20: Penn loses in regulation this week, on the strength of a missed Quaker PAT and a shanked 30-yard FG. Dawson breaks the record in the first half and is showered with toast by ungracious Penn fans.

Harvard Worship
November 8th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Harvard 24, Penn 20: Penn loses in regulation this week

Hope so! We don't need the suspense...
Although if the defense comes out playing "pajama football" (as the WHRB color guys called Harvard's effort vs. Columbia last week) we might be the ones who need a last-minute comeback & overtime heroics.

YaleFootballFan
November 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Who would've thought my only correct pick was Columbia beating Cornell! :eek:

Harvard Worship
November 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Yeesh. I agree the results this week weren't what most folks expected. That's Ivy League football for you.

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Harvard played a very sloppy game and deserved to lose. The only bright spot was Dawson's record. O'Hagan made stupid decisions all day and the team had 4 more turnovers.: smh :

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2006, 09:20 PM

Actually, you got Brown-Dartmouth right also.

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM
ROAR LIONS ROAR ALL UP AND DOWN THE HUDSON SHORE !!!!

Congratulations to the Columbia Lions !!!