PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 7

Smitty
October 5th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Week 6 Results:

Samford 21 Mercer 18

Wofford 17 Citadel 13

Presbyterian 19 Western Carolina 14

Chattanooga 55 VMI 7

Coastal Carolina 37 Furman 31

Power Rankings

1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Furman
6. Mercer
7. Western Carolina
8. VMI

Predictions

Charlotte vs Citadel
Wofford vs WCU
VMI vs Navy
Chattanooga vs Tennessee
Austin Peay vs Mercer

The Cats
October 5th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Week 6 Results:

Samford 21 Mercer 18

Wofford 17 Citadel 13

Presbyterian 19 Western Carolina 14

Chattanooga 55 VMI 7

Coastal Carolina 37 Furman 31

Power Rankings

1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Furman
6. Mercer
7. Western Carolina
8. VMI

Predictions

Charlotte vs Citadel
Wofford vs WCU
VMI vs Navy
Chattanooga vs Tennessee
Austin Peay vs Mercer

WOW - when you turn on the Cats, you turn hard. Are you sure they can beat VMI?

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Are you sure they can beat VMI?

I think you can. VMI is no PC that's for sure!

OL FU
October 5th, 2014, 11:27 AM

I think it is more just how hard it is to compare the games. Furman beats GW, then Wofford loses to GW, then Furman loses to PC in a game that they probably should have won, then WCU beats FU and loses to PC, MErcer against Samford makes Furman against Mercer look pretty good. Then FU plays CCU like most people thought we would play all year.

Honestly, at this point, you put Chattanooga on top, VMI on the bottom and then play 6 card pick up with the rest of them.

OL FU
October 5th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Charlotte vs Citadel
Wofford vs WCU - Western can pass. Can Wofford defend?
VMI vs Navy
Chattanooga vs Tennessee
Austin Peay vs Mercer

Smitty
October 5th, 2014, 11:30 AM

The ranking drop wasn't because of us losing the football game, but because our #1 QB was injured. Our second QB wasn't very effective and threw a pick 6, our 3rd QB first pass was an interception.

If Troy Mitchell is out for the season, then I believe that the rest of the SoCon can beat us.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 11:34 AM
play 6 card pick up with the rest of them.

Not if you went to furman you don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqrpMFxMo8

OL FU
October 5th, 2014, 11:35 AM
The ranking drop wasn't because of us losing the football game, but because our #1 QB was injured. Our second QB wasn't very effective and threw a pick 6, our 3rd QB first pass was an interception.

If Troy Mitchell is out for the season, then I believe that the rest of the SoCon can beat us.

Hope not and if so sorry to hear.

and can I change my pick abovexembarrassedx

Smitty
October 5th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Hope not and if so sorry to hear.

and can I change my pick abovexembarrassedx

Hurry change it before somebody quotes it!

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2014, 11:48 AM
We're not going to see some consistency in terms of predicting games until the season is 3/4 over.

As for Western vs Wofford. If Western can pass decently they can beat us. If they can't defend the option well it'll be a shoot out.

The Cats
October 5th, 2014, 11:57 AM

I too, certainly hope Troy's injury will not keep him out for even one game much less than the season. But, I don't think Brown has been given the opportunity to show what he can do. To be put into that game in the circumstance he was place in Saturday, and given the fact he's not played QB since high school (now a senior) and he's only been in a couple of this season's games for only a snap or two per game, what could be expected.

IMO, Brown should have been given playing time against Brevard, Catawba and to a less extent against Furman. But I guess the coaches didn't foresee Troy's injury. That was very short sighed on on their part, given our QB situation without Eddie.

The Cats
October 5th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Power Ranking

1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. Western Carolina
5. The Citadel
6. Furman
7. Mercer
8. VMI

actually, 2-7 is very close and very fluid, and home field advantage will probably determine game winners in many cases between the teams, like the Wofford/Citadel game. With Troy Mitchell in the game, I think the Cats can beat any of them, however - they have not learned how to win - week after week, as evidenced by the PC game.

Charlotte at The Citadel
VMI at Navy
Wofford at Western Carolina (I give the edge to WCU because of home field and assuming Troy plays)
Chattanooga at Tennessee
Austin Peay at Mercer (the Bears are coming on strong)

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Power Ranking

1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. Western Carolina
5. The Citadel
6. Furman
7. Mercer
8. VMI

actually, 2-7 is very close and very fluid, and home field advantage will probably determine game winners in many cases between the teams, like the Wofford/Citadel game. With Troy Mitchell in the game, I think the Cats can beat any of them, however - they have not learned how to win - week after week, as evidenced by the PC game.

Charlotte at The Citadel
VMI at Navy
Wofford at Western Carolina (I give the edge to WCU because of home field and assuming Troy plays)
Chattanooga at Tennessee
Austin Peay at Mercer (the Bears are coming on strong)

didn't wcu just lose at home to PC????? Woffy is better than PC.

OL FU
October 5th, 2014, 12:33 PM

I think we all said and agreed Wofford can't defend the pass. If Western's QB is playing they can pass and they are at home. The way it has gone this season, I think it is a reasonable pick. IF you want to pick one game to compare, Then Furman is going to beat the **** out of El Cid due to the CCU game. :)

On the other hand, I wouldn't make that comparisonxembarrassedx too many undecided all the way around.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I think we all said and agreed Wofford can't defend the pass. If Western's QB is playing they can pass and they are at home. The way it has gone this season, I think it is a reasonable pick. IF you want to pick one game to compare, Then Furman is going to beat the **** out of El Cid due to the CCU game. :)

On the other hand, I wouldn't make that comparisonxembarrassedx too many undecided all the way around.

You and the Catamounts finally have something in common. Neither of you can whip the Blue Hose. It's not a terrible thing as the British Army couldn't either.

SU DOG
October 5th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Right now I have UTC #1, and get this - IMO, Furman is #2. Yeah, I know don't place so much emphasis on one game, especially not a loss. What I saw last night, however, was a STRANGE team that hadn't played before then. I think that Blazejowski is better right now than Hannon, and Cain is a good compliment to several other good RBs. Furman is starting to do the very SAME thing as last year - overcome adversity and be a butt-beater from here on out - SoCon BEWARE!!
Man those were HARD words to type and maybe I am wrong. LOL
Wofford would be my #3, as I believe they will continue to get better with the Ayers factor.
Maybe I can put my Dogs in at #4. Right now I don't see the progress that I expected, and I am disappointed. We really seem to have a somewhat waste of talent IMO.
#5 The Citadel.
#6 & #7 - I would actually put Mercer ahead of Western IF Troy Mitchell is out. If Mitchell(heart & soul of the team) is in there, I put WCU ahead.
#8 VMI
Of course my opinion changes each and every week.

kdinva
October 5th, 2014, 12:41 PM
1) UTC
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) Furman
5) WCU
6) The Citadel
7) Mercer

VMI

The Citadel 28; UNCC 20
Navy 49, VMI 13
WCU 34; Wofford 28
Tennessee 28; UTC 17
Mercer 35; A. Peay 23

OL FU
October 5th, 2014, 12:42 PM
You and the Catamounts finally have something in common. Neither of you can whip the Blue Hose. It's not a terrible thing as the British Army couldn't either.

We do. on the other hand, you went to the Citadel. I'm sorry:(

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM
We do. on the other hand, you went to the Citadel. I'm sorry:(

At least The Citadel loses to GOOD teams from the Big South. xsmiley_wix

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 5th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I was 4-1 last week with Presbyterian playing SoCon giant killer yesterday. Here is where I have at after this week:

1) Chattanooga - Beat the daylights out of VMI
2) Samford - Came away with their second conference win vs. Mercer
3) Wofford - Kickoffs conference play with a win
4) Western Carolina - Crashed and burned against Presbyterian
5) Furman - Took Coastal Carolina to the limit
6) Mercer - Both conference losses have been by a total of seven points
7) The Citadel - Came up short against Wofford
8) VMI - Got ransacked by Chattanooga
ETSU - Had their second scrimmage at the Stone Castle in Bristol

Predictions
Charlotte @ The Citadel - Bulldogs take out the 49ers
VMI @ Navy - Midshipmen manhandle the Keydets
Wofford @ Western Carolina (Game of the Week) - Catamounts win a close one
Chattanooga @ Tennessee (Beatdown of the Week) - This is NOT 1958, Chattanooga is NOT Georgia Southern and Tennessee is NOT Florida
Austin Peay @ Mercer (Beatdown of the Week) - Bears take it to Austin Peay

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I was 4-1 last week with Presbyterian playing SoCon giant killer yesterday. Here is where I have at after this week:

1) Chattanooga - Beat the daylights out of VMI
2) Samford - Came away with their second conference win vs. Mercer
3) Wofford - Kickoffs conference play with a win
4) Western Carolina - Crashed and burned against Presbyterian
5) Furman - Took Coastal Carolina to the limit
6) Mercer - Both conference losses have been by a total of seven points
7) The Citadel - Came up short against Wofford
8) VMI - Got ransacked by Chattanooga
ETSU - Had their second scrimmage at the Stone Castle in Bristol

Predictions
Charlotte @ The Citadel - Bulldogs take out the 49ers
VMI @ Navy - Midshipmen manhandle the Keydets
Wofford @ Western Carolina (Game of the Week) - Catamounts win a close one
Chattanooga @ Tennessee (Beatdown of the Week) - This is NOT 1958, Chattanooga is NOT Georgia Southern and Tennessee is NOT Florida
Austin Peay @ Mercer (Beatdown of the Week) - Bears take it to Austin Peay

how's appy doing?????

OL FU
October 5th, 2014, 12:48 PM
At least The Citadel loses to GOOD teams from the Big South. xsmiley_wix

Good thing you aren't playing PC this year

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Good thing you aren't playing PC this year

The name of the town PC is located in infuriates me.

The Cats
October 5th, 2014, 12:53 PM

No, the game was in Clinton, SC

I don't think WCU now plays their home games in Clinton, but since you know everything, you might know something I don't.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 5th, 2014, 01:06 PM
1. Chatty
2. Furman with Hannon (guess we won't see this team anymore this season)
3. Wofford
4. Furman with Blazejowski
5. The Citadel
6. Western Carolina
7. Samford
8. Furman with Woodruff
9. Mercer
10. VMI

ElCid
October 5th, 2014, 01:12 PM
1) UTC - keeps getting it done
2) Samford - closer than it needed to be against Mercer; maybe a little let down after last week's loss sunk in
3) Wofford - QB has some legs
4) WCU - QB woes may derail their high hopes, can't win throwing 4 interceptions
5) Furman - probably wished it changed QBs a while ago
6) The Citadel - heartbreaking loss at Wofford. It was one of those games that will live in infamy. But Bulldogs had many chances to win prior to the last play. Defense again showed signs of brilliance, but aggressiveness sprung too many big running plays. Why we did not pass sooner is a mystery.
7) Mercer - Hung in there nicely
8) VMI - ouch again

Charlotte 24 @ The Citadel 34 - The Dogs buckle down at home after the drama in Sparkle City
VMI 10 @ Navy 49 - Navy sinks VMI
Wofford 31 @ WCU 17 - Wofford does not have a good pass D, but looks like WCU may not have a QB
UTC 13 @ Tenn 38 - Tenn has been trying to come back for a while now...they still aren't there yet; still too much for UTC
Austin Peay 16 @ Mercer 28 - Mercer's gets win at home over inept Peay who probably thought they had at least one win by scheduling Mercer

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Right now I have UTC #1, and get this - IMO, Furman is #2. Yeah, I know don't place so much emphasis on one game, especially not a loss. What I saw last night, however, was a STRANGE team that hadn't played before then. I think that Blazejowski is better right now than Hannon, and Cain is a good compliment to several other good RBs. Furman is starting to do the very SAME thing as last year - overcome adversity and be a butt-beater from here on out - SoCon BEWARE!!
Man those were HARD words to type and maybe I am wrong. LOL
Wofford would be my #3, as I believe they will continue to get better with the Ayers factor.
Maybe I can put my Dogs in at #4. Right now I don't see the progress that I expected, and I am disappointed. We really seem to have a somewhat waste of talent IMO.
#5 The Citadel.
#6 & #7 - I would actually put Mercer ahead of Western IF Troy Mitchell is out. If Mitchell(heart & soul of the team) is in there, I put WCU ahead.
#8 VMI
Of course my opinion changes each and every week.

We will have to see how Blazejowski continues to develop. Furman gets an off week and then a road contest at South Carolina before jumping back into conference play.

I said in the preseason that Furman needed to avoid another slow start. They haven't. Still, Furman fans are pretty excited about what they saw Saturday night. The offense was abysmally bad the first half of the season, and really moved it well against a team that had surrendered only 9 points in their last three games.

I do not get the impression that last night was a "fluke." That was the Furman team many of us expected to see all season. Our much criticized coaching staff got a key player back (Cain) and made some lineup changes. Really seemed to work.

Unfortunately, Furman cannot seem to get the chance to develop a young QB. Both Hannon and now Blazejowski (as well as Woodruff) have been thrust into starter's duty at QB as true freshman due to injuries and ineffectiveness. I would have liked to have seen Blazejowski keep the shirt on, get bigger and stronger, and start as a sophomore. No such luck. Gotta play the hand you are dealt.

BearDownMU
October 5th, 2014, 03:17 PM
1) UTC - keeps getting it done
2) Samford - closer than it needed to be against Mercer; maybe a little let down after last week's loss sunk in
3) Wofford - QB has some legs
4) WCU - QB woes may derail their high hopes, can't win throwing 4 interceptions
5) Furman - probably wished it changed QBs a while ago
6) The Citadel - heartbreaking loss at Wofford. It was one of those games that will live in infamy. But Bulldogs had many chances to win prior to the last play. Defense again showed signs of brilliance, but aggressiveness sprung too many big running plays. Why we did not pass sooner is a mystery.
7) Mercer - Hung in there nicely
8) VMI - ouch again

Charlotte 24 @ The Citadel 34 - The Dogs buckle down at home after the drama in Sparkle City
VMI 10 @ Navy 49 - Navy sinks VMI
Wofford 31 @ WCU 17 - Wofford does not have a good pass D, but looks like WCU may not have a QB
UTC 13 @ Tenn 38 - Tenn has been trying to come back for a while now...they still aren't there yet; still too much for UTC
Austin Peay 16 @ Mercer 28 - Mercer's gets win at home over inept Peay who probably thought they had at least one win by scheduling Mercer

Lol. That's us. When you need a win. Schedule the Bears. Coming off their 0-12 season last year, logical they could pencil in a win against lil ole Mercer.

ElCid
October 5th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Lol. That's us. When you need a win. Schedule the Bears. Coming off their 0-12 season last year, logical they could pencil in a win against lil ole Mercer.

Let's just hope your Care Bears don't blow it.

BearDownMU
October 5th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Let's just hope your Care Bears don't blow it.

Never can tell. I'v been lobbying for us to just forfeit the remainder of the games this year out of fear of embarrassment. But, those players insist on playing them all out. Lol. Kids these days.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 05:01 PM
No, the game was in Clinton, SC

I don't think WCU now plays their home games in Clinton, but since you know everything, you might know something I don't.

That's actually WORSE. We would never play PC at their place. The @ CSU was a one time ex-ad mistake.

chattownmocs
October 5th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Furman abd Mercer are both garbage. Not sure why we have to hear so much bs from their fans.

OrangeAndBlack
October 5th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Power Rankings

1. Chattanooga
2. Wofford
3. Samford
4. Western Carolina
5. Furman
6. The Citadel
7. Mercer
8. VMI

Predictions

Charlotte vs The Citadel -- 17-12
Wofford vs WCU -- 20-10
VMI vs Navy -- 52-3
UTC vs Tennessee -- 42-17
Austin Peay vs Mercer -- 31-10

FCSfan
October 5th, 2014, 07:37 PM
1. UTC (clear #1 at present but not the dominant team)
2. Samford & Wofford (both have problems but have talents to beat anyone)
4. Furman & Western (QB issues could cause each to slide)
6. Mercer & Citadel (their head to head should be interesting)
7. VMI (keep on swimming, keep on swimming...)

winners this week:
Mercer
Citadel
Wofford
Tennessee Knoxville
Naval Academy

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 07:42 PM
1. UTC (clear #1 at present but not the dominant team)
2. Samford & Wofford (both have problems but have talents to beat anyone)
4. Furman & Western (QB issues could cause each to slide)
6. Mercer & Citadel (their head to head should be interesting)
7. VMI (keep on swimming, keep on swimming...)

winners this week:
Mercer
Citadel
Wofford
Tennessee Knoxville
Naval Academy

If you were really an FCS fan you would know that it's THE Citadel and that it won't be interesting in Macon at all past halftime.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2014, 07:47 PM

Sandbagging aside, Austin Peay is awful. Just awful.

chattanoogamocs
October 5th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Austin Peay is awful. Just awful.

Yep...and I have seen them in person.

Though honestly, VMI wasn't really much better.

CSU18
October 5th, 2014, 07:51 PM
That's actually WORSE. We would never play PC at their place. The @ CSU was a one time ex-ad mistake.

Probably won't see CSU at the Citadel again without a home and home agreement either. Not sure why you wouldn't go to PC and think going to CSU is so rediculous. The Citadel is not a good team this year, the Big South is obviously a better conference than the SoCon this year, and the last time I checked all football fields are the same length and width. Who cares where you play the game. Show up and play or you won't win - bottom line.

BearDownMU
October 5th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Furman abd Mercer are both garbage. Not sure why we have to hear so much bs from their fans.

Keep on trollin'...

FCSfan
October 5th, 2014, 08:12 PM
If you were really an FCS fan you would know that it's THE Citadel and that it won't be interesting in Macon at all past halftime.

Now you sound like the annoying ohio state and miami whack jobs. Come on down off your high chair. I at least gave you a capital "C"

longtimemocfan
October 5th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Keep on trollin'...

Something's never change...Actually Mercer has represented themselves very well on the field and in the stands...The Bears have always come to play. Better not take them too lightly.

chattanoogamocs
October 5th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Home Attendance thru Week 6

10,809 Mercer
10,027 Reinhardt
12,227 Furman
10,173 Ave Maria

10,668 Chattanooga
14,285 Jacksonville State
8,872 Samford
8,848 VMI

9,720 Western Carolina
8,929 Brevard
10,511 Catawba

9,701 The Citadel
10,828 Coastal Carolina
8,573 Gardner-Webb

8,223 Furman
7,533 Gardner-Webb
9,789 Western Carolina
7,347 Coastal Carolina

7,920 Wofford
7,392 North Greenville
7,108 UVA-Wise
9,259 The Citadel

6,100 Samford
4,968 Stillman
4,618 VMI
8,714 Mercer

4,485 VMI
4,479 Davidson
4,490 Mercer

2013 Attendance:
13,155 The Citadel
9,922 Chattanooga
9,379 Mercer
8,299 Furman
8,241 Western Carolina
7,773 Wofford
7,512 Samford
5,046 VMI

The Cats
October 5th, 2014, 09:48 PM
from citdog to me:

THOUSANDS of people each week hear my opinion. Your stuck with just your wife to hear yours! Go Catamounts!

wow, thousands, cool. Tell me, how much do you get paid for your opinion to thousands each week? Why if your opinions are so great, it's not millions? or zillions?

ROFLMAO that you have such a big head and high opinion of yourself. douche. xnodx

PS, it's "you are", contracted to "you're" not your.

And by the way, I do at least have a wife, that loves my opinions.

CID1990
October 6th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Probably won't see CSU at the Citadel again without a home and home agreement either. Not sure why you wouldn't go to PC and think going to CSU is so rediculous. The Citadel is not a good team this year, the Big South is obviously a better conference than the SoCon this year, and the last time I checked all football fields are the same length and width. Who cares where you play the game. Show up and play or you won't win - bottom line.

You people need to get over the sensitivity (rightly held) over your stadium. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the teams or conferences are. It is a bad business decision to play an OOC game in either venue and give up the revenue from an extra home game.

There is no credible argument for playing CSU in Ladson when you don't have to, and until they greatly expand their facility they will not have the leverage to demand home and home series with teams that dont want to play in that venue.

AshevilleApp2
October 6th, 2014, 04:19 AM
how's appy doing?????

Get it right man! He's not the Appalachian fan, I am.

And we got pounded by a school I never even knew existed before last week.

Carry on. Go Western!

bonarae
October 6th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Charlotte vs Citadel
Wofford vs WCU
VMI vs Navy
Chattanooga vs Tennessee
Austin Peay vs Mercer

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Get it right man! He's not the Appalachian fan, I am.

And we got pounded by a school I never even knew existed before last week.

Carry on. Go Western!

The school has been around a bit, but South Alabama has had a football team only since 2009.

OrangeJuice
October 6th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Home Attendance thru Week 6

10,809 Mercer
10,027 Reinhardt
12,227 Furman
10,173 Ave Maria

10,668 Chattanooga
14,285 Jacksonville State
8,872 Samford
8,848 VMI

9,720 Western Carolina
8,929 Brevard
10,511 Catawba

9,701 The Citadel
10,828 Coastal Carolina
8,573 Gardner-Webb

8,223 Furman
7,533 Gardner-Webb
9,789 Western Carolina
7,347 Coastal Carolina

7,920 Wofford
7,392 North Greenville
7,108 UVA-Wise
9,259 The Citadel

6,100 Samford
4,968 Stillman
4,618 VMI
8,714 Mercer

4,485 VMI
4,479 Davidson
4,490 Mercer

2013 Attendance:
13,155 The Citadel
9,922 Chattanooga
9,379 Mercer
8,299 Furman
8,241 Western Carolina
7,773 Wofford
7,512 Samford
5,046 VMI

I'm glad to see the Mercer game allowed Samford to get out of the attendance cellar.

SU DOG
October 6th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Mercer had very little to do with our attendance on Saturday. It was a good visitors' following, but from all the excitement I had read about, I thought it would be considerably larger. The fact that it was our Parents' Day was the big draw, and also a factor in the students leaving too early. We generally saw a much larger visitors crowd when Georgia Southern came to Seibert. I will say this, however, the Bears Fans were very loud and really into the game.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 6th, 2014, 08:20 AM
how's appy doing?????

I am not sure if you know this or not, but I am not wearing my Appalachian State hat here anymore. I am wearing my ETSU hat on here. As an ETSU alumnus, we look forward to playing you again aand hopefully continue our winning streak against you as well.

16-13.

Ghost
October 6th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Mercer had very little to do with our attendance on Saturday. It was a good visitors' following, but from all the excitement I had read about, I thought it would be considerably larger. The fact that it was our Parents' Day was the big draw, and also a factor in the students leaving too early. We generally saw a much larger visitors crowd when Georgia Southern came to Seibert. I will say this, however, the Bears Fans were very loud and really into the game.

Mercer had about 200-300 fans in attendance at Samford. They have shown they can travel well and being in a conference where almost every game(sans VMI) is less than a 300 mile trek i'm sure they will continue to travel well. Its been interesting seeing the opinions of the SoCon fans change as Mercer continues to make people nervous when their teams play Mercer. They have, IMO exceeded the expectations of a lot of opponents and their own fans so far this year. Being 8 points away from being undefeated and 3-0 in conference should not be overlooked. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if they wend .500 in conference. But don't let Chattown and Citdog hear you agree with me on this. it might cause them some stomach issues in the coming weeks.

Mocs123
October 6th, 2014, 09:33 AM
1.) Chattanooga. 2-0 in the SoCon.
2.) Samford. Struggled more than I thought but still won.
3.) Furman. I may get some flack for ranking them this high but I have thought they had a good team and seem like they may be figuring it out on offense.
4.) Wofford. Survived the Citadel
5.) Western Carolina. Was on a role until Troy Mitchell got hurt. How long he is out may decide how their season goes.
6.) Citadel. Tough schedule thus far.
7.) Mercer. More competitive than I thought their first year in the SoCon.
8.) VMI. Can pass the ball. No defense.

Charlotte 13
Citadel 27 - The bulldogs get back on track.

VMI 10
Navy 42 - beatdown of the week

Wofford 35
Western Carolina 31 - game of the week - if Troy Mitchell plays WCU wins, if he doesn't Wofford pulls this one out.

Chattanooga 9
Tennessee 27 - beatdown of the week part 2. As much as I want to win this, it won't happen. Hopefully we can keep it close and stay healthy.

Austin Peay 13
Mercer 28 - APSU is no match for Mercer.

chattownmocs
October 6th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Mercer had about 200-300 fans in attendance at Samford. They have shown they can travel well and being in a conference where almost every game(sans VMI) is less than a 300 mile trek i'm sure they will continue to travel well. Its been interesting seeing the opinions of the SoCon fans change as Mercer continues to make people nervous when their teams play Mercer. They have, IMO exceeded the expectations of a lot of opponents and their own fans so far this year. Being 8 points away from being undefeated and 3-0 in conference should not be overlooked. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if they wend .500 in conference. But don't let Chattown and Citdog hear you agree with me on this. it might cause them some stomach issues in the coming weeks.

Again. Just awful. You haven't beaten ANYONE. NOBODY. You are playing the cupcake of all cupcake non league schedule. You are 3 points away from going winless in the conference because you will not win a game in the league the rest of the year. Furman beat you and lost 4 in a row. Reihnhardt and a terrible vmi team played you to the wire. Samford was coming off basically a season ending loss and lets face it. You were not truly in a position to win the game. You are not good. Period.

Mocs123
October 6th, 2014, 09:40 AM

Mercer has looked better then I expected. I doubt they will be .500 in the conference this season but have proven that they can not be overlooked and will be a good program in the years ahead. It's also good to see the good crowds for the bears.

I get the feeling mercer will get their revenge in basketball season.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2014, 09:41 AM

I don't see them going .500 in the conference. It is not out of the blue that most SoCon fans assumed Mercer would struggle. That's not a slight against Mercer, but we've seen a lot of teams come into this league and get blown out in their first several seasons.

I have been impressed with Mercer. I will say that watching them warm up against Furman, I thought the Paladins would win by 50. Furman towered over Mercer at virtually every position except for Mercer's FBS transfers. I did not expect (A) that Furman's offense would struggle like it did against Mercer (and subsequently everyone else), or (B) Mercer would continue to hang around in that game. Frankly, watching our offense the first 5 weeks of the season, I am thankful we even left Macon with a win.

You have to give credit to the Bears. Against both Furman and Samford Mercer was down double digits in the second half, but simply would not let their opponent land the haymaker. That's a testament to their coaches and players. Furman had multiple opportunities to ice the game late, and Mercer just wouldn't go away.

walliver
October 6th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Mercer has looked better then I expected. I doubt they will be .500 in the conference this season but have proven that they can not be overlooked and will be a good program in the years ahead. It's also good to see the good crowds for the bears.

I get the feeling mercer will get their revenge in basketball season.

Didn't all 5 BB starters graduate?

Mocs123
October 6th, 2014, 10:10 AM
The sad thing is, the SoCon looks like a 1 bid league.

So far we have 3 OCC Wins against FCS scholarship teams Austin Peay and Gardner Webb-twice

We have 8 FCS OCC losses: Jacksonville state, Gardner Webb, coastal Carolina-twice, Charlestown southern, Presbyterian-twice , and SC State.

kdinva
October 6th, 2014, 10:13 AM
..... and a terrible vmi team played you to the wire....

Keydets kept Mercer in that game due to four Keydet turnovers inside Mercer's 25........VMI should have won by 17+......

chattownmocs
October 6th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Keydets kept Mercer in that game due to four Keydet turnovers inside Mercer's 25........VMI should have won by 17+......

And no disrespect to you guys. But you guys aren't good. Austin peay is a terrible team. I won't be surprised at all if they are right in the game with mercer.

BearDownMU
October 6th, 2014, 10:20 AM

Dude, your only 2 scoring drives in the first half were from our 10 yard line because we muffed a punt and from our 25 from an interception. You went 35 total yards for 2 touchdowns. lol. And we also had 3 turnovers. Don't know that the 1 turnover differential makes up for the 20 points you are looking for.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Didn't all 5 BB starters graduate?

Something like that. As you know, though, SoCon basketball is just north of atrocious.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM
The sad thing is, the SoCon looks like a 1 bid league.

So far we have 3 OCC Wins against FCS scholarship teams Austin Peay and Gardner Webb-twice

We have 8 FCS OCC losses: Jacksonville state, Gardner Webb, coastal Carolina-twice, Charlestown southern, Presbyterian-twice , and SC State.

I think that has a lot to do with Mercer's surprising success as well. I've seen the SoCon when it was really good, and when it was not so good. I do not think there is a team in this conference right now that could stand four quarters against teams like the 2008 App State team, 2005 Furman, or 2000 Georgia Southern.

My personal opinion is that the continued influx of programs at the D1 level is creating far more evenly spread recruiting. 10 or 15 years ago, when arguably the SoCon was in a period of great success with two or three teams in the top 10 virtually all season every year, there was no Coastal Carolina, South Alabama, Georgia State, Old Dominion, Mercer, Kennesaw State, etc. You take the same number of high school players (give or take) and continue to add competition to the pool, and the talent that could accumulate at those schools gets spread more evenly. There are just more options.

Ghost
October 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Again. Just awful. You haven't beaten ANYONE. NOBODY. You are playing the cupcake of all cupcake non league schedule. You are 3 points away from going winless in the conference because you will not win a game in the league the rest of the year. Furman beat you and lost 4 in a row. Reihnhardt and a terrible vmi team played you to the wire. Samford was coming off basically a season ending loss and lets face it. You were not truly in a position to win the game. You are not good. Period.
I understand that you are on your high horse after beating what looks to be the Conference championship game. Congrats. I believe chatty is the best team in the league. 2 things. 1. I don't hold a degree from mercer. I actually have two from non SoCon FCS schools. Just like what they are doing. 2. I never said that they would go .500 just said I would not be surprised. the absolute obsession you have with trolling is actually an endearing trait. these board wouldn't survive if we didn't have people like you to piss everyone else off. :) So thank you.

BearDownMU
October 6th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Something like that. As you know, though, SoCon basketball is just north of atrocious.

We actually had 7 seniors graduate.

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2014, 10:37 AM
8 graduated - http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20140513pi8916 - but 1 has eligibility remaining...so 7 lost to graduation is correct.

BearDownMU
October 6th, 2014, 10:39 AM
8 - http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20140513pi8916

I meant 7 with no eligibility left. Jibri Bryan got his degree but is going to do grad classes and has 2 years left to play, I think.

Jiggs
October 6th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Power Rankings

1. Chattanooga
2. Wofford
3. Furman
4. Samford
5. Mercer
6. The Citadel
7. Western Carolina
8. VMI

Predictions

Charlotte vs Citadel
Wofford vs WCU
VMI vs Navy
Chattanooga vs Tennessee
Austin Peay vs Mercer

FUBeAR
October 6th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I meant 7 with no eligibility left. Jibri Bryan got his degree but is going to do grad classes and has 2 years left to play, I think.

LOL - I edited my post while you were posting...now 1 of us looks really stupid...probably both. As a bear of very little brain, I have no problem with that.

BearDownMU
October 6th, 2014, 11:10 AM
LOL - I edited my post while you were posting...now 1 of us looks really stupid...probably both. As a bear of very little brain, I have no problem with that.

I've almost made an entire career out of looking stupid.

kdinva
October 6th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Dude, your only 2 scoring drives in the first half were from our 10 yard line because we muffed a punt and from our 25 from an interception. You went 35 total yards for 2 touchdowns. lol. And we also had 3 turnovers. Don't know that the 1 turnover differential makes up for the 20 points you are looking for.

I get your point......VMI actually took advantage of two turnovers in Mercer territory.....and the drives that made up the VMI four turnovers totaled approx. 195 yards......

OrangeJuice
October 6th, 2014, 11:28 AM

Simple minds are so cute. You are adorable!!

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Had to share this play for those that didn't see the Furman/CCU game. I get it, Furman sucks and all that, but this is still a heckuva play with the game on the line. Beautiful throw by Blazejowski and an amazing catch from Chad Scott, who was mugged by the Coastal defender.

Coastal brought three extra rushers and were stonewalled by the re-worked OL. Quarterback finds one on one coverage with nice touch on the ball.

Finally something to cheer about in Greenville on offense.

http://youtu.be/Evk18fObklU?list=UUprLkD5Pj5pk45TVcpo7jKg

OL FU
October 6th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I actually think most posters may be a little overly enthusiastic with some of the power ratings. Yes, this is more what we thought we would look like, and I am pleased. But I need a little more time to see if it last.

If you are talking about Chattown, who caresxrolleyesx

BearDownMU
October 6th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Had to share this play for those that didn't see the Furman/CCU game. I get it, Furman sucks and all that, but this is still a heckuva play with the game on the line. Beautiful throw by Blazejowski and an amazing catch from Chad Scott, who was mugged by the Coastal defender.

Coastal brought three extra rushers and were stonewalled by the re-worked OL. Quarterback finds one on one coverage with nice touch on the ball.

Finally something to cheer about in Greenville on offense.

Wow. No defending that.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Wow. No defending that.

Chad Scott is the son of former All American Vanderbilt WR Chuck Scott. I never saw the older Scott play, but when you have the words "all american wide receiver" and "vanderbilt" in the same sentence, you know he probably had pretty good hands.

NavyDog
October 6th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Power Rankings

1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. The Citadel
5. Furman
6. Mercer
7. Western Carolina
8. VMI

Predictions

Charlotte vs Citadel--Citadel 35-Charlotte 17....If the Bulldogs can channel the anger--they may be a very tough out for the rest of the schedule.
Wofford vs WCU--WU 28-WCU 27...Coin flip. Tempted to go with the home team, but no.
VMI vs Navy--Navy 45-VMI 17....Navy coming off a loss to USAFA looking to get well and build confidence.
Chattanooga vs Tennessee--UT 38-UTC 17...Butch Jones tries to get well off a tough loss, but will find UTC hanging around.
Austin Peay vs Mercer--Mercer 20-AP 14....Don't know anything about either team, but Mercer fan talks more trash than AP fan, so that has to count for something.

PaladinNation
October 6th, 2014, 02:44 PM
PJ's field vision for a rookie is pretty darn good… a clip of Blazejowski's run for a touchdown.

http://youtu.be/LbLBL7qCba4

AshevilleApp2
October 6th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I think that has a lot to do with Mercer's surprising success as well. I've seen the SoCon when it was really good, and when it was not so good. I do not think there is a team in this conference right now that could stand four quarters against teams like the 2008 App State team, 2005 Furman, or 2000 Georgia Southern.

My personal opinion is that the continued influx of programs at the D1 level is creating far more evenly spread recruiting. 10 or 15 years ago, when arguably the SoCon was in a period of great success with two or three teams in the top 10 virtually all season every year, there was no Coastal Carolina, South Alabama, Georgia State, Old Dominion, Mercer, Kennesaw State, etc. You take the same number of high school players (give or take) and continue to add competition to the pool, and the talent that could accumulate at those schools gets spread more evenly. There are just more options.

Not to mention UNCC. Good observation though.

PaladinFan
October 6th, 2014, 03:56 PM
PJ's field vision for a rookie is pretty darn good… a clip of Blazejowski's run for a touchdown.

Went back and read some articles on him from his senior year. There were a number of FCS teams that offered him scholarships, and a number of FCS and FBS schools that were in on him.

Seems several schools were reluctant to offer him because of his size (6'0 185lbs). There are some concerns over durability and arm strength. Lot of praises, though, for his quick release, accuracy, and ability to get loose in the open field.

As one Mercer fan noted, Blazejowski resembles Mercer's John Russ. The running ability of those two, IMO, is reminiscent of App State's Richie Williams. Not great straight line speed, but extremely good at changing direction and adept at reading their blockers and accelerating to the open field.

BearDownMU
October 6th, 2014, 04:28 PM
As one Mercer fan noted, Blazejowski resembles Mercer's John Russ. The running ability of those two, IMO, is reminiscent of App State's Richie Williams. Not great straight line speed, but extremely good at changing direction and adept at reading their blockers and accelerating to the open field.

Also, they can be super frustrating on busted pass plays. Good coverage and the QB wiggles around and picks up 8-12 yards improvising.

citdog
October 6th, 2014, 04:47 PM

Whatever you furple pukes have to tell yourself. Y'all are making this kid out to be Debusk or Dingleberry Martin after one game.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2014, 07:19 AM
He's a freshman. He'll screw up at some point.

Still, if you had watched our offense play the first five weeks of the season, last Saturday's game was a revelation. We had four offensive touchdowns in our first four games. We managed 17 against Western and lost by double digits.

OL FU
October 7th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Whatever you furple pukes have to tell yourself. Y'all are making this kid out to be Debusk or Dingleberry Martin after one game.

Same thing you have been telling yourself for the last 25 yearsxrolleyesx

Ghost
October 7th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Citdog when was the last time you even won a conference championship? oh thats right it was 1992. over a decade ago. At least Chatt Town can talk a little smack since his team seems to be the best in the conference. you however have shown nothing this season to back up the drivel you've spewed all over this board. keep on trolling buddy. while the rest of us keep on laughing.

CID1990
October 7th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Citdog when was the last time you even won a conference championship? oh thats right it was 1992. over a decade ago. At least Chatt Town can talk a little smack since his team seems to be the best in the conference. you however have shown nothing this season to back up the drivel you've spewed all over this board. keep on trolling buddy. while the rest of us keep on laughing.

Awwww cute

Lookit the new kid

LarryBoy
October 7th, 2014, 09:32 AM

What's the point of a college football message board if we can't convince ourselves that our respective QBs are the second coming?

It's hard to not get excited about PJ, at least in this short moment. A true freshman, in his first start, took the SoCon's worst offense against the fifth ranked defense in FCS, and our offense puts up 400+ yards, 31 points, and doesn't turn the ball over. We surpassed our season high for rushing in the first half.

Now, there are some other factors, definitely. We finally found an O-Line lineup that could block. Hank McCloud is finally healthy. That had as much to do with it as anything. But PJ made his throws, ran excellently, converted on third down, and didn't turn the ball over. That's all a Furman offense needs to be successful.

PJ will make his mistakes, or get injured in the South Carolina game (as our QBs tend to do). But it's our off week, and three weeks until we play a conference game. We're bored, so Blazejowski is the best QB in the land.

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2014, 09:40 AM
What's the point of a college football message board if we can't convince ourselves that our respective QBs are the second coming?

It's hard to not get excited about PJ, at least in this short moment. A true freshman, in his first start, took the SoCon's worst offense against the fifth ranked defense in FCS, and our offense puts up 400+ yards, 31 points, and doesn't turn the ball over. We surpassed our season high for rushing in the first half.

Now, there are some other factors, definitely. We finally found an O-Line lineup that could block. Hank McCloud is finally healthy. That had as much to do with it as anything. But PJ made his throws, ran excellently, converted on third down, and didn't turn the ball over. That's all a Furman offense needs to be successful.

PJ will make his mistakes, or get injured in the South Carolina game (as our QBs tend to do). But it's our off week, and three weeks until we play a conference game. We're bored, so Blazejowski is the best QB in the land.

Unfortunately, I think our weak performance in OOC play has put a lot of pressure on us going forward. If we assume a loss to SC, we will be 2-5 heading into the meat of the conference schedule. No room for error. Have to win every week.

Fortunately, if the team that played Saturday night shows up in the conference slate, I think we'll have a punchers chance of winning every game.

Ghost
October 7th, 2014, 09:50 AM
been a reader for a long time. could not post due to the nature of my previous job. not a "new kid" by any means. just tired of Citdog. I actually like most of the Citadel fans here.

SCPALADIN
October 7th, 2014, 10:10 AM

The block from Emert (54) on that play was a work of art. Sure, Blaze ran it well...but without that block we wouldn't be looking at this video clip. The real story from Saturday night was the improved OL play. IMHO

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2014, 10:43 AM
It was literally like watching a football team I had not seen before. Not just the execution, but the entire offense looked different.

citdog
October 7th, 2014, 11:57 AM
been a reader for a long time. could not post due to the nature of my previous job. not a "new kid" by any means. just tired of Citdog. I actually like most of the Citadel fans here.

That's two posts of your 40 that mention me by name. Are you coming on to me?

Ghost
October 7th, 2014, 12:34 PM
That's two posts of your 40 that mention me by name. Are you coming on to me?
sorry to disappoint, but you aren't my type :)

chattanoogamocs
October 7th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Dingleberry Martin...LOL. I hadn't heard that one in a while.

Catamount87
October 7th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Power Rankings:
1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Tie - Wofford, Western Carolina, Furman (So, who'll have the hot hand this week?)
6. Mercer
7. The Citadel
8. ETSU
9. VMI

Predictions:
UNC-Charlotte vs Citadel - going with the home team but I think it'll be closer than they are expecting
Wofford vs WCU - This is a real toss up because it depends on if Mitchell plays. With Mitchell - WCU, because the Terriers can't defend the pass, if not, WC because The Cats are unproven with back up QBs.
VMI vs Navy - Navy all the way
Chattanooga vs Tennessee - It might be closer than expected by some but it's clear who rules the state of TN.
Austin Peay vs Mercer - Three certainties here, the Bears are well coached, confident and they have a cupcake schedule. Calling AP the VMI of the OVC would be an insult to VMI. VMI at least has something that resembles a defense.

Bonus Prediction: Citadel fans will continue to post as if their team is THE best team in FCS and ignore that fact that at this point they are 1-4.

citdog
October 7th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Power Rankings:
1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Tie - Wofford, Western Carolina, Furman (So, who'll have the hot hand this week?)
6. Mercer
7. The Citadel
8. ETSU
9. VMI

Predictions:
UNC-Charlotte vs Citadel - going with the home team but I think it'll be closer than they are expecting
Wofford vs WCU - This is a real toss up because it depends on if Mitchell plays. With Mitchell - WCU, because the Terriers can't defend the pass, if not, WC because The Cats are unproven with back up QBs.
VMI vs Navy - Navy all the way
Chattanooga vs Tennessee - It might be closer than expected by some but it's clear who rules the state of TN.
Austin Peay vs Mercer - Three certainties here, the Bears are well coached, confident and they have a cupcake schedule. Calling AP the VMI of the OVC would be an insult to VMI. VMI at least has something that resembles a defense.

Bonus Prediction: Citadel fans will continue to post as if their team is THE best team in FCS and ignore that fact that at this point they are 1-4.

my bonus prediction Cullowhee Community College fans will attempt to forget losing to PC by deflecting as much attention away from that as possible. They will also fail to mention the fact that The Citadel has won as many DI games this year as they have in the last SEVERAL.........nice try 87 don't give up!

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Have to pull for Wofford this week. Need someone to saddle WCU with a conference loss.

In a smaller football conference this season, two conference losses might knock you out of the running.

The Cats
October 8th, 2014, 06:23 AM
my bonus prediction Cullowhee Community College fans.........!

Well aren't you something, picking up right where the hillbillies left off. Too bad you don't have any new material, just like your 1-4 football team.

citdog
October 8th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Well aren't you something, picking up right where the hillbillies left off. Too bad you don't have any new material, just like your 1-4 football team.

There are other hillbillies other than catamounts? It's nice that you think so much of me to include me in your siggy. Makes my heart all aflutter!

walliver
October 8th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga - I am not convinced yet that this is a power-house team, but they have the best resume
2) Presbyterian - 2-0 in the SoCon. I can take CCU being 2-0, but not the ho's
2) Samford - 2-6 are a toss-up
3) Wofford - team still has significant issues, but we finally beat a D-I
4) The Citadel - well-coached and disciplined .. and a threat to every team left on their schedule
5) Furman - schizoid team so far, we have to wait another 3 weeks for SoCOn action
6) Western Carolina - just when it looks like the Cants have turned the corner, they lose to PC, and I am not convince PC has a good team.
7) Mercer - take away last minute punt return, and they lose to Samford by two scores. Still, they should not be overlooked.
8) VMI - some things never change.

This week:
Charlotte vs The Citadel. There are startup teams which get up to speed quickly (GaSo, CCU, ODU come to mind), but the boys from the Queen City aren't one of those. Bullpups beat the Queens 38-21.
Wofford at WCU - One of the three teams we play away for the second year in a row. I predict a close game that may come down to referee calls near the end. Logic tells me WCU gets the calls, but I go with a homer pick 28-27.
VMI vs Navy - VMI keeps it close for the coin-toss, but Navy pulls away for a 42-10 win.
Austin Peay vs. Mercer - Cubbies go 1-0 vs OVC with a 38-12 win.

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Hard to explain PC. Two wins at home over SoCon competition. I noted before the WCU game that it might be a little tougher sledding than the Catamounts were expecting, particularly after a big win in Greenville.

From what I can gather, PC did nothing against either Furman or WCU on offense. Both games were decided on late turnovers by offenses led by backup quarterbacks. I firmly believe that in both the WCU and Furman games, if both teams just took three knees and punted in the second half they would have won the game. I was left with no impression the PC could actually drive the field on offense and score. Turns out they didn't need to.

For Furman in particular, we play PC virtually every season. They were bound to bite us eventually. Given how bad we were on offense, a road game, poor weather, and a team that gives us their best shot every year, it really was unsurprising.

Unfortunately, that loss may be crippling to Furman's season. Extra OOC loss you didn't see coming, which all but guarantees Furman will have to bat 1.000 in the SoCon going forward.

chattownmocs
October 8th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Presbyterian drove about 45 yards at least gutting furmans defense on the ground before throwing a td pass. Get real

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Presbyterian drove about 45 yards at least gutting furmans defense on the ground before throwing a td pass. Get real

Wrong again. PC took over after a Furman turnover on their own 35. It still took them 8 plays to score.

You can call it "gutting" a defense. In my opinion, Furman's defense, for the third game in a row, was called on to win the game behind an ineffective offense. You give an offense enough time opportunities to score, they eventually will.

The Cats
October 8th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Wofford at WCU - One of the three teams we play away for the second year in a row. I predict a close game that may come down to referee calls near the end. Logic tells me WCU gets the calls, but I go with a homer pick 28-27.

If it comes down to a referee call near the end, you guys have lucked out this week.

It seems that the SoCon referees dislike WCU with a passion (they must all be ASU grads or fans), and the Cats NEVER get a home field advantage/break from an officiating team, the visitors get all the breaks.

Toby
October 8th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Mercer - take away last minute punt return, and they lose to Samford by two scores.

Oooh fun game.

Add the field goal from the 10 yard line in the first half instead of going for it on 4th and 1, and it is a tie game going to OT. Or add the other filed goal that Mercer missed from the 35 and Mercer wins!!! And then take away the Furman pick six and Mercer is undefeated and on top of the SoCon…….

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2014, 02:59 PM
If it comes down to a referee call near the end, you guys have lucked out this week.

It seems that the SoCon referees dislike WCU with a passion (they must all be ASU grads or fans), and the Cats NEVER get a home field advantage/break from an officiating team, the visitors get all the breaks.

There goes The Cats and with that big ole chip on his shoulder...everyone's out to get the Catamounts. I have no doubt that if The Cats was ref, he'd never miss a call.

Newsflash...refs screw up all the time, no one is infallible...from the SoCon to the SEC to the National Championship game, it's no big conspiracy...WCU isn't special. The refs cost the Mocs a game at GSU last year that, in hindsight, kept the Mocs out of the playoffs. **** happens. Get over it. Quit whining (lol...like that will ever happen)

Toby
October 8th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Dingleberry Martin...LOL. I hadn't heard that one in a while.

Turns out Ingle Martin is a pretty darn good football coach too with a current head coaching record of 46-4. Wonder if Furman would ever come calling?

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Oooh fun game.

Add the field goal from the 10 yard line in the first half instead of going for it on 4th and 1, and it is a tie game going to OT. Or add the other filed goal that Mercer missed from the 35 and Mercer wins!!! And then take away the Furman pick six and Mercer is undefeated and on top of the SoCon…….

Great play! Not sure what your OT was trying to do, but it wasn't very effective. I also imagine John Russ, had he time to think about it, would have gone for Wilkin's ankles. Not easy to tackle a guy four inches taller and 50 lbs heavier up around the shoulders.

Still not quite sure how Mercer managed not to take advantage of our quarterback carousel.

http://youtu.be/lC7nTcj-Oi4

OrangeJuice
October 8th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Oooh fun game.

Now that is funny. And logical. Our returner has 3 TDs but somehow they aren't supposed to count?? I see nobody from Mercer talking trash on here but I sure see a lot of digs. Not sure whey folks are so jealous. We have 1 conference win and likely will finish with only 1.

BTW - I have never seen more whining about refs than from the SOCON threads. My team gets the worst calls. No, my time gets the worst calls. blah, blah, blah. It's un-gentlemanlike.

SU DOG
October 8th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Oooh fun game.

Mercer is a good team with really good coaching. They are way ahead of schedule, but let's not get too carried away. I could point to several situations(Samford missed field goals etc) where the score would and maybe should have been more one-sided. At 21-10 I was never in doubt of the winner, with our advantage of 365-262 yds of offense, and 17-11 first downs. I assure you that it was NEVER going into overtime. Still, hats off to a scrappy Mercer Team with more talent than anyone expected.

OrangeJuice
October 8th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Great play! Not sure what your OT was trying to do, but it wasn't very effective. I also imagine John Russ, had he time to think about it, would have gone for Wilkin's ankles. Not easy to tackle a guy four inches taller and 50 lbs heavier up around the shoulders.

Still not quite sure how Mercer managed not to take advantage of our quarterback carousel.

You were favored by 20+ points against a 2nd year team with only 1 class of scholarships and you ask, "Still not quite sure how Mercer managed not to take advantage of our quarterback carousel." Uh, I don't think Mercer is the team you should have questions about. Just sayin'

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM
You were favored by 20+ points against a 2nd year team with only 1 class of scholarships and you ask, "Still not quite sure how Mercer managed not to take advantage of our quarterback carousel." Uh, I don't think Mercer is the team you should have questions about. Just sayin'

Furman lost its all conference starting QB for the season in week 1. You go around to any SoCon team and take their starting QB out, and you will see offensive production plummet. Just look at WCU as an example.

Furman settled for two field goals inside the 10 yard line against Mercer. Convert two chip shot field goals to touchdowns and Furman has a three touchdown lead in the fourth quarter. There's your spread.

Mercer against both Furman and Samford just wouldn't take the haymaker. Both the Paladins and Bulldogs tried to put Mercer away in the second half, and Mercer wouldn't go down. That is absolutely a credit to the Bears. Mercer is better than everyone though they'd be (or the SoCon is worse than expected, its a toss up).

Frankly, I've forgotten what a healthy Furman team looks like. I feel like we are always starting a backup QB. Would like to see a season again where we get on one horse and ride.

OrangeJuice
October 8th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Furman lost its all conference starting QB for the season in week 1. You go around to any SoCon team and take their starting QB out, and you will see offensive production plummet. Just look at WCU as an example.

Furman settled for two field goals inside the 10 yard line against Mercer. Convert two chip shot field goals to touchdowns and Furman has a three touchdown lead in the fourth quarter. There's your spread.

Mercer against both Furman and Samford just wouldn't take the haymaker. Both the Paladins and Bulldogs tried to put Mercer away in the second half, and Mercer wouldn't go down. That is absolutely a credit to the Bears. Mercer is better than everyone though they'd be (or the SoCon is worse than expected, its a toss up).

Frankly, I've forgotten what a healthy Furman team looks like. I feel like we are always starting a backup QB. Would like to see a season again where we get on one horse and ride.

FSU benched their Heisman trophy winner QB against Clemson and still won. Depth is part of the game. Again, we can play this game all day on missed opportunties. Mercer had a 40+ yard touchdown called back against Furman for an off-setting personal foul calls that happened out of bounds and away from the play. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. We shouldn't have been able to hang on the field with Furman or Samford. But there we were with a chance to win in the final minutes of both game -20 point underdogs. At least nobody from Furman is whining about bad calls. In fact, you appear to be the more reasonable of the fans on this board.

I think it's both Mercer is better AND the SOCON is weaker than expected. But I don't have the history of SOCON so it's just a gut call on my part. I told my two boys that we would likely get wiped off the field in both games. We were ecstatic to have a chance to win.

FUBeAR
October 8th, 2014, 05:46 PM

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003862235/431842233_IMG_0077_xlarge.jpeg

Thanks for that Jackal.

I would post the famous video of FU's QB Ingle Martin slipping instead of scoring @ Appy as a reply to your hurtful non sequitur of a post, but that would just piss me off also.

I hate football....until this weekend comes around.

GO BEARS! MAUL 'EM!!

Toby
October 8th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Mercer is a good team with really good coaching. They are way ahead of schedule, but let's not get too carried away. I could point to several situations(Samford missed field goals etc) where the score would and maybe should have been more one-sided. At 21-10 I was never in doubt of the winner, with our advantage of 365-262 yds of offense, and 17-11 first downs. I assure you that it was NEVER going into overtime. Still, hats off to a scrappy Mercer Team with more talent than anyone expected.

I'm happy "not to get too carried away", but if we are going to play a silly game about not counting certain plays, the point I am trying to make is that it can go many different ways.

With only 1 scholarship recruiting class, Mercer is playing competitive against schools with 5 scholarship recruiting classes. That pretty much says it all. I grant you that no one (except probably the players and coaches) expected it. But they have pulled it off so far.

SU DOG
October 8th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I'm happy "not to get too carried away", but if we are going to play a silly game about not counting certain plays, the point I am trying to make is that it can go many different ways.

With only 1 scholarship recruiting class, Mercer is playing competitive against schools with 5 scholarship recruiting classes. That pretty much says it all. I grant you that no one (except probably the players and coaches) expected it. But they have pulled it off so far.

You are right that they have pulled it off(being competitive), but who else should have expected it? What I don't understand is WHAT MORE do Mercer fans want from the fans of other SoCon schools? Maybe I'm the only one on here that is somewhat tired of Bear Fans constantly reminding the rest of us of what a great surprise you are. Most every comment, with maybe a few exceptions, have praised your team, coaches, and school with the way you have competed - I know I have more than once. (You should have seen the venom from Ga. Southern and Appy fans a few years ago when Samford entered the conference). I love Mercer being in the conference, and I can certainly attest to your team being tenacious and surprisingly talented. You have a right to be excited, however, no one on here needs to be reminded time and time again about how many recruiting classes you have or how many your opponents have, or how your "little ole players" are competing. Hope this is taken as constructive criticism, and with the spirit that I post it.

Toby
October 8th, 2014, 06:50 PM
What I don't understand is WHAT MORE do Mercer fans want from the fans of other SoCon schools? Hope this is taken as constructive criticism, and with the spirit that I post it.

Since you asked, how about agreeing that the Samford poster who said if you don't count the punt return, then Samford wins by two scores, is pretty stupid. I hope this is taken as constructive criticism, and with the spirit that I post it. :)

SU DOG
October 8th, 2014, 07:02 PM
OK, so you obviously need a little help. With only 4 posts, I'm sure you will get better. So, I'll help you out a bit. Why not something like :http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/20141007unqvqd. and then we can say Congrats to Mercer and a really fine player instead of reading about your ONE recruiting class etc.

FUBeAR
October 8th, 2014, 07:23 PM
You are right that they have pulled it off(being competitive), but who else should have expected it? What I don't understand is WHAT MORE do Mercer fans want from the fans of other SoCon schools? Maybe I'm the only one on here that is somewhat tired of Bear Fans constantly reminding the rest of us of what a great surprise you are. Most every comment, with maybe a few exceptions, have praised your team, coaches, and school with the way you have competed - I know I have more than once. (You should have seen the venom from Ga. Southern and Appy fans a few years ago when Samford entered the conference). I love Mercer being in the conference, and I can certainly attest to your team being tenacious and surprisingly talented. You have a right to be excited, however, no one on here needs to be reminded time and time again about how many recruiting classes you have or how many your opponents have, or how your "little ole players" are competing. Hope this is taken as constructive criticism, and with the spirit that I post it.

I agree with you about tiring of people 'qualifying' performance by talking about # of scholarship classes, etc. & I hope I have not done that about Mercer's Football Program. If so, I was wrong for doing so, because I believe if you want to sit at the big boy table, you better be ready to eat! Nobody should give a rat's rear end about how many scholarships you do or don't have, how hard your academics are or aren't, how many players you have injured, that your players also have to do other stuff that other schools players don't have to do, how long your program has been around, how long your bus ride was, how bad the officials are, how bad your facilities are, or any of the other hundreds of 'qualifiers' I see fans from many, many teams using to explain or qualify their teams' or their opponents teams' performances. If the game is scheduled, your players should go into that game EXPECTING to win the game. If they win enough of them, they are a good team that year and if they don't, then they aren't - far from rocket surgery.

You are correct that there has been a smattering of nice comments about Mercer Football on this board and elsewhere. I'm sure every Mercer fan appreciates those. On the other hand, I'm not sure what your time frame is regarding your observation that "most every comment...praised your team." I could share the list of over 200 completely disrespectful, derisive, and dismissive comments about Mercer Football that I have gathered and shared with some of Mercer's Football players. Even with the positive comments there have been, I have yet to see 1 FU or SU Fan say something along the lines of "Wow, close game. I guess our team is only a little bit better than Mercer's team this year." Since you asked, maybe that is what Mercer Fans want from fans of other SoCon schools, acknowledgement of the reality of the scoreboard. I don't know because I don't care what fans of other schools think, but many people do.

So, maybe, when the Bears' Fans comments about how excited they are that their team has competed well against 2 defending SoCon Champions exceed 200, it will be 'fair' to shut that down. Personally, I'm not excited (though I am very proud) about Mercer 'competing' well at all. I expected Mercer to win both of those games (regardless of my 'tongue-in-cheek' comments regarding the l'il bears) and am very disappointed that they did not. I'd say I am about half as disappointed as their players and coaches are. I am actually very worried that they may have trouble snapping out of their 'funk' to play a not-as-bad-as-you-all-think APSU team this Saturday.

So, appreciate the constructive criticism of my fellow Bears fan, but I would ask that you grant him/her and others like him/her, who really are just elated to HAVE a football team, a little leeway and time to enjoy the fun ride.

SU DOG
October 8th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Hope you get APSU this week. The SoCon sure needs all the OOC wins it can get GOOD LUCK - GO BEARS!!!

catamount man
October 8th, 2014, 07:28 PM
they just keep getting more and more annoying...............

The Cats
October 8th, 2014, 07:43 PM
they just keep getting more and more annoying...............

What happened to you last Saturday? I looked for you at the game.

catamount man
October 8th, 2014, 08:31 PM
What happened to you last Saturday? I looked for you at the game.

Sent you a PM and thanks. Yeah, I had the outcomes of the Furman and PC games backwards after all. Had a feeling about last week after the cats beat Furman. WCU can still, and I hope, have a good season. Thanks again for checking up on me.xthumbsupx

Toby
October 8th, 2014, 08:38 PM
OK, so you obviously need a little help. With only 4 posts, I'm sure you will get better. So, I'll help you out a bit. Why not something like :http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/fball/2014-15/releases/20141007unqvqd. and then we can say Congrats to Mercer and a really fine player instead of reading about your ONE recruiting class etc.

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx We all submit to you all knowing and all ruling SUDOG. You wear you condescension so well. xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

PaladinNation
October 8th, 2014, 08:53 PM
As impressive as Ingle's record is former Furman receiver George Quarles (Maryville HS) is the man many of us Furman Fans would love to see back in Greenville.
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/R1dxafYoZUKptHvpC-meOA/winningest-high-school-football-coaches-of-the-past-10-years.htm

Toby
October 8th, 2014, 08:56 PM
As impressive as Ingle's record is former Furman receiver George Quarles (Maryville HS) is the man many of us Furman Fans would love to see back in Greenville.
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/R1dxafYoZUKptHvpC-meOA/winningest-high-school-football-coaches-of-the-past-10-years.htm

Agreed. Maryville is a powerhouse and Martin has a long way to go to catch up. So the rumors of coaching discontent are real?

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Agreed. Maryville is a powerhouse and Martin has a long way to go to catch up. So the rumors of coaching discontent are real?

Not sure what you mean. I don't think there is any discontent with Bruce Fowler. I do think there might be a few grumblings with the offensive coaching staff. Furman's offense this season went from bad to abysmal. We could win with bad.

PaladinNation
October 8th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Not sure what you mean. I don't think there is any discontent with Bruce Fowler. I do think there might be a few grumblings with the offensive coaching staff. Furman's offense this season went from bad to abysmal. We could win with bad.

I should have said that some dream of Quarles being the OC at Furman. I hope BF will have a long coaching career at FU.

SU DOG
October 9th, 2014, 12:38 AM
xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx We all submit to you all knowing and all ruling SUDOG. You wear you condescension so well. xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

LOL! I do know enough to realize the "Samford" fan's comment you objected to and quoted concerning the 2 scores, not counting the return, was made by a WOFFORD Fan. LOL.

OL FU
October 9th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Can't believe I am about to say this but I am beginning to look forward to the obligatory "Furman Sucks" post from citdog

Toby
October 9th, 2014, 08:13 AM
LOL! I do know enough to realize the "Samford" fan's comment you objected to and quoted concerning the 2 scores, not counting the return, was made by a WOFFORD Fan. LOL.

You all wise one are correct! It was a Wofford fan. However, you were the one that doubled down. In my defense it is hard to keep track of all the puppy dogs in this conference. For my penance, I will grudgingly admit that Samford has a beautiful campus and we enjoyed the visit last Sat.

Toby
October 9th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I should have said that some dream of Quarles being the OC at Furman. I hope BF will have a long coaching career at FU.

Got it. I did think it was a bit too early to be throwing BF under the bus. But some of the FU fans (on other forums) are not happy campers right now.

SU DOG
October 9th, 2014, 08:58 AM
You all wise one are correct! It was a Wofford fan. However, you were the one that doubled down. In my defense it is hard to keep track of all the puppy dogs in this conference. For my penance, I will grudgingly admit that Samford has a beautiful campus and we enjoyed the visit last Sat.

Thanks for those kind words. In response I will say that you guys were loud and into the game while our fans might have sore hands from sitting on them. My team is off this week, so I hope to catch the streaming of the Mercer-APSU Game, and pull hard for the Bears. I SINCERELY wish you good luck Saturday and for the rest of the season.

Catamount87
October 9th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Can't believe I am about to say this but I am beginning to look forward to the obligatory "Furman Sucks" post from citdog

I doubt you'll get that this week. I think their whine this week is "SoCon Refs Suck!"

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Got it. I did think it was a bit too early to be throwing BF under the bus. But some of the FU fans (on other forums) are not happy campers right now.

Were you to watch our first five games of the season, nor would you be.

Our offense has been pretty bad for the last several years. We have also dealt with almost an unbelievable number of injuries at the quarterback position. Hard to really know if it is the coaching, the system, or just dumb daggum luck.

citdog
October 9th, 2014, 10:11 AM

socon refs suck

also furman

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt you'll get that this week. I think their whine this week is "SoCon Refs Suck!"

see above post

OL FU
October 9th, 2014, 10:45 AM
socon refs suck

also furman

- - - Updated - - -

see above post

I feel betterxnodx

Toby
October 9th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks for those kind words. In response I will say that you guys were loud and into the game while our fans might have sore hands from sitting on them. My team is off this week, so I hope to catch the streaming of the Mercer-APSU Game, and pull hard for the Bears. I SINCERELY wish you good luck Saturday and for the rest of the season.

I was pleased with the Mercer turnout. I think the Samford visitor section seats 600 (according to the Samford Sports website) and I believe it was almost full. Hard to tell for sure when your in it.

Toby
October 9th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Some good stuff here:

• The Southern Conference had one player named to the Walter Payton Award Watch List, while two were tabbed for the Buck Buchanan Award Watch List. Three SoCon players were named to the Jerry Rice Award Watch List. The Payton Award is presented annually to the most outstanding player at the FCS level, while the Buchanan honors the nation’s top defensive player in FCS. The Rice Award is given to the nation’s top freshman.
• Payton Award Watch List - Jacob Huesman (Chattanooga).
• Buchanan Award Watch List - Jaquiski Tartt (Samford) and Davis Tull (Chattanooga).
• Rice Award Watch List - Chandler Curtis (Mercer), Al Cobb (VMI) and Alex Lakes (Mercer).

PaladinNation
October 9th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Some good stuff here:

• The Southern Conference had one player named to the Walter Payton Award Watch List, while two were tabbed for the Buck Buchanan Award Watch List. Three SoCon players were named to the Jerry Rice Award Watch List. The Payton Award is presented annually to the most outstanding player at the FCS level, while the Buchanan honors the nation’s top defensive player in FCS. The Rice Award is given to the nation’s top freshman.
• Payton Award Watch List - Jacob Huesman (Chattanooga).
• Buchanan Award Watch List - Jaquiski Tartt (Samford) and Davis Tull (Chattanooga).
• Rice Award Watch List - Chandler Curtis (Mercer), Al Cobb (VMI) and Alex Lakes (Mercer).

All deserved but why no love for; Corey Magwood 44 solo tackles, 73 total and Gary Wilkins 35 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 11 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles, 1 int returned for a touchdown.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2014, 02:07 PM
All deserved but why no love for; Corey Magwood 44 solo tackles, 73 total and Gary Wilkins 35 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 11 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles, 1 int returned for a touchdown.

Hard to put Davis Tull on the list and not Gary Wilkins. Their numbers for the season are virtually identical.

Toby
October 9th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Here are the current SoCon defensive stats:

Cory Magwood-FUR
JR
LB

Tyler Ward-MER
SO
LB

Muhasibi Wakeel-UTC
SR

Christon Gill-WCU
SR
LB

Tevin Floyd-CIT
SO

Ace Clark-WCU
SR
DB

Cedric Nettles-UTC
SO

Daniel Riddle-WCU
FR
LB

Justin Cooper-SAM
JR
LB

Miller Williams-VMI
SR
LB

Cole Higbie-WOF
FR
DB

Kevin Thomas-WOF
SR
LB

James Fruehan-VMI
SR
DB

Jaquiski Tartt-SAM
SR

Julian Baxter-CIT
SR

Gary Wilkins-FUR
SR
DL

Rah Muhammad-CIT
SR

Trey Robinson-FUR
JR
DB

Nakevion Leslie-UTC
SO

Carl Robinson-CIT
SR

Darnell Ashton-VMI
SO
LB

Walker Smith-CIT
SR

Jaleel Green-WOF
SO
DB

Marcus McMorris-FUR
SR

Alex Avant-MER
JR
DB

Alijah Robinson-VMI
SO
DB

Byron Johnson-FUR
SO
LB

Dee Virgin-UTC
SO

Caleb Lindsey-VMI
JR
LB

Ryan Francis-VMI
FR

Jeremy James-MER
FR
DB

Devin Davidson-MER
SO
LB

Nick Willis-CIT
JR

Jamerson Blount-SAM
SO
DB

Lucas Webb-UTC
FR

Davis Tull-UTC
SR

Tarek Odom-WOF
SR
DL

Toby
October 9th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Based on stats, I would say that Magwood has a pretty good beef.

chattownmocs
October 9th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Hard to put Davis Tull on the list and not Gary Wilkins. Their numbers for the season are virtually identical.

Not at all. Tull is in a different class.

PaladinFan
October 10th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Not at all. Tull is in a different class.

If you can come to that conclusion looking at the season's numbers, I'd be interested to hear your argument.

OL FU
October 10th, 2014, 07:33 AM
If you can come to that conclusion looking at the season's numbers, I'd be interested to hear your argument.

Hold the mayoxnodx

Catamount87
October 10th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I'm always somewhat skeptical of watch lists. There's a lot of behind the scene PR action being played in all of these post season awards.

walliver
October 10th, 2014, 08:43 AM
One problem with FCS level awards and watch-lists, is that there is very little transparency. With "big time" players at "big time" programs there is near ubiquitous TV access and highlights are shown on the ESPN family of networks ad nauseum. At the FCS level, fans (and reporters) have to make a concerted effort to track down games and highlights. As a result, most fans and sports writers know mostly players on their team or their opponents. There are only a handful of reporters who actually know much about the national FCS scene.

The good thing, however, is that unlike the Heisman watch, where last year's winner has already been suspended one game and is still under investigation for sexual assault, and this year's leader is indefinitely suspended for getting paid for autographs; it is unlikely any of the FCS watch-listed players will get that kind of publicity.

Sandlapper Spike
October 10th, 2014, 10:33 AM
There are about 50,000 watch lists these days, anyway.

AshevilleApp2
October 10th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Hold the mayoxnodx

xlolx xthumbsupx