PDA

View Full Version : FU versus LU

ngineer
November 6th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Current forecast is for partly sunny (as opposed to partly cloudy) skies and temps near 60, so it looks like a perfect day for football. Lehigh looking for their 4th straight win to stay on the inside track for the PL championship. Fordham coming off a tough loss to Lafayette where they were still in it near the end.
This game has had some spirited bouts and upsets over the years, and despite last year's blowout by Lehigh in the Bronx, I'm expecting a much tougher game from this year's version of the Rams.
Any of the FU faithful travelling to Goodman?

LUHawker
November 6th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Current forecast is for partly sunny (as opposed to partly cloudy) skies and temps near 60, so it looks like a perfect day for football. Lehigh looking for their 4th straight win to stay on the inside track for the PL championship. Fordham coming off a tough loss to Lafayette where they were still in it near the end.
This game has had some spirited bouts and upsets over the years, and despite last year's blowout by Lehigh in the Bronx, I'm expecting a much tougher game from this year's version of the Rams.
Any of the FU faithful travelling to Goodman?

What upsets are you talking about? Fordham has only ever defeated Lehigh once, in 1997. I think there was only one other time ('02 or '03) when Fordham was ranked ahead of Lehigh and perhaps was favored. Other than that LU has been the favorite in all games.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I think ng was referring to these games:

2001 LU 31, FU 21
2002 LU 26, FU 23
2003 LU 23, FU 16
2004 LU 21, FU 14

That 2003 game was a battle of nationally-ranked opponents in Goodman in a rainstorm. And in 2004 Fordham definitely had their chances to win but Lehigh held on to squeak by by a TD. 2005 was a blowout, but by then Fordham had stopped playing for coach Foley.

Even though the record heavily favors Lehigh, lately this series has been quite competitive.

(Hijack alert: ng, I looked for you at the Lehigh game, but didn't see you :( )

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Tom Massella (Wagner, 1981) played for Bill Russo when Russo coached the Wagner Seahawks before he went to Lafayette after the 1980 season.

ngineer
November 6th, 2006, 12:03 PM
What upsets are you talking about? Fordham has only ever defeated Lehigh once, in 1997. I think there was only one other time ('02 or '03) when Fordham was ranked ahead of Lehigh and perhaps was favored. Other than that LU has been the favorite in all games.

Yes, they are the two upsets I was talking about. Fordham knocking us off in the first game of 1997 that seemed to send that year into a tailspin, and then Lehigh's great upset of a then nationally ranked (I believe they were #6) Fordham team in 2003 when Jermaine Pugh ran nuts in the mud. The prior year, while not necessarily an upset, was a great come-from-behind victory in the Bronx on Douglas' two long field goals to tie the game and then win in OT.
There have been a few nailbiters with the Rams over the years.

ngineer
November 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM

2001 LU 31, FU 21
2002 LU 26, FU 23
2003 LU 23, FU 16
2004 LU 21, FU 14

That 2003 game was a battle of nationally-ranked opponents in Goodman in a rainstorm. And in 2004 Fordham definitely had their chances to win but Lehigh held on to squeak by by a TD. 2005 was a blowout, but by then Fordham had stopped playing for coach Foley.

Even though the record heavily favors Lehigh, lately this series has been quite competitive.

I was there. If at halftime, I was visiting Mother Nature for bit..:o

Pard4Life
November 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM

2001 LU 31, FU 21
2002 LU 26, FU 23
2003 LU 23, FU 16
2004 LU 21, FU 14

Ugh, yeah I was there in 2003... messy day and Pugh ran for 250+ yards..

Fordham is a feisty team, but I am actually rooting for Lehigh in this one.