PDA

View Full Version : Did you all know that...

Go Green
October 4th, 2014, 06:24 PM
If you lose your helmet during play, pick it up, put it back on, and try to make a play....

Then it's a 15 yard penalty on you?

Because that's what the refs called against a Dartmouth player today against Penn.

Judging from the look on Dartmouth's Coach Teevens' face when the refs informed him of the penalty, he didn't know the rule either.

xconfusedx

R3TRO
October 4th, 2014, 06:30 PM
It's a rule. Not that new either.

JALMOND
October 4th, 2014, 06:32 PM
You lose your helmet, you're supposed to stop playing. If you don't, it is an automatic 15 yard penalty. At least on the west coast.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 06:32 PM
That's been a rule since 2012 at least. The only way you are able to go back into the game without missing one play is if a defender or offensive player is the cause of your helmet being removed.

Uncle Buck
October 4th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Shoot, if I lose my helmet I'm not standing around, I'm putting it back on! That's safer!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Go Green
October 4th, 2014, 07:10 PM
That's been a rule since 2012 at least. The only way you are able to go back into the game without missing one play is if a defender or offensive player is the cause of your helmet being removed.

I know that you had to sit out a play if you lose your helmet.

But I didn't know that if you lose your helmet, you are supposed to stop playing, period.

Put your helmet back on while the play is still live, and try to rejoin the action.... and it's 15 yards on you.

Learn something new every day.

Bisonator
October 4th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I know that you had to sit out a play if you lose your helmet.

But I didn't know that if you lose your helmet, you are supposed to stop playing, period.

Put your helmet back on while the play is still live, and try to rejoin the action.... and it's 15 yards on you.

Learn something new every day.

Just another stupid rule.xsmhx

JSUBison
October 4th, 2014, 07:52 PM
It is a stupid rule. So they would rather the helmet-less player just stand there like a dork. He's just asking to be blindsided and laid out standing around watching the play like that.

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Illegal participation if the player continues to play. Its a personal foul if you hit him

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Illegal participation if the player continues to play. Its a personal foul if you hit him

This here. He might be "more at risk" but he really isn't supposed to be. If another player hits him while he's helmet less it's 15 against their team.

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Came up last year in the Nova/Towson game. Only time I've ever seen it

JayJ79
October 4th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I don't have a problem with a flag on a helmetless player that continues to play.
But if the player is able to put the helmet back on, I don't see why he couldn't rejoin the play, as it is no longer a safety concern.
(though I would still consider it justifiable for him to have to sit the next play out for losing his helmet, even if he was able to put it back on during the play)

Nickels
October 5th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Another lame ass rule that's ruining the game. Just give them flags already. That's where we're headed.

What happened to this country? We're pussifying football for ****'s sake.

UNH Fanboi
October 5th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Another lame ass rule that's ruining the game. Just give them flags already. That's where we're headed.

What happened to this country? We're pussifying football for ****'s sake.

What's happened is that professional football players and even some players who stopped playing after college have been found to have serious brain damage as a result of playing football. There may be some rules that are overly cautious or restrictive, but many of the recent rules changes, particularly the crack-down on helmet-to-helmet hits, have been absolutely good changes that needed to be made. Talking about the "pussification of football" is juvenile.

JALMOND
October 5th, 2014, 12:04 PM
I don't have a problem with a flag on a helmetless player that continues to play.
But if the player is able to put the helmet back on, I don't see why he couldn't rejoin the play, as it is no longer a safety concern.
(though I would still consider it justifiable for him to have to sit the next play out for losing his helmet, even if he was able to put it back on during the play)

The intent of the rule is to understand why the helmet came off in the first place. If it was not forced off by another player, the player who lost his helmet is supposed to sit out the next play and be assessed for possible concussion and/or minor head injury. To run around as the play is going around him, to find his helmet and put it back on just to make a play on the field, defeats this intent. We're just talking about one play of many that happens during a game. A team may use a timeout and keep the player in the game.

NDSUSR
October 5th, 2014, 03:00 PM

If I hit him: How did I know his helmet was off at some point during the play?

Sitting Bull
October 5th, 2014, 03:07 PM
If you lose your helmet during play, pick it up, put it back on, and try to make a play....

Then it's a 15 yard penalty on you?

Because that's what the refs called against a Dartmouth player today against Penn.

Judging from the look on Dartmouth's Coach Teevens' face when the refs informed him of the penalty, he didn't know the rule either.

xconfusedx

We had a defensive lineman called for exactly that at our first game at Virginia Tech. I had never actually seen of or heard about the penalty, and 15 yards of infraction to boot.

Of course the question I had was why there was no penalty on the Hokie who ripped his helmet off in the first place. That should be the penalty.