November 5th, 2006, 09:08 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7169&CHID=3

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Mickey not happy?? Shocking!! xlolx

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM
man i love that guy.

“Justin Rascati is the best football player in the nation,” JMU coach Mickey Matthews said after Rascati quarterbacked the Dukes to a 44-24 dismantling of Delaware on Saturday night. “You can’t win those dadgum awards unless you have a four-wide attack anymore and it really hacks me off.” xlolx xlolx

some people just dont like his good ole country boy style.

i love it:nod: :nod: :hurray: :hurray: :bow: :bow:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I love Mickey, he wears his heart on his sleeve... its a great quality to inspire your players with. Every time I see him he's ready to fight for his team.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Every time I see him he's ready to fight for his team.

More like bitch/whine/complain.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I agree that Rascati is the best QB out there. I've only ever seen him make one mistake with his head. Last year's Richmond game where he stayed in bounds on a scramble that let the clock expire inside UR territory. I've seen him be a playmaker and a leader and a stud. So I've had my peace...

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 09:29 PM
More like bitch/whine/complain.

Watching the tape of the game Sat I can see why the Dukes are better than UD now. Keeler was silent with his arms crossed all game... Mickey was fighting and yelling and sticking up for his players. Thats what a coach does that knows what helps his team. Sorry it doesn't appeal to you. :twocents:

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Watching the tape of the game Sunday I can see why the Dukes are better than UD now. Keeler was silent with his arms crossed all game... Mickey was fighting and yelling and sticking up for his players. Thats what a coach does that knows what helps his team. Sorry it doesn't appeal to you. :twocents:

Keeler and Mickey have both won a NC. Apparently their respective styles work. The thread is about Mickey's comment after the game, not how he acts during the game. I do have a problem when he won't stop bitching about things to the media. What he does on the field I don't really care about.

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM
You can't argue with results and Mickey gets results. The guy has grown on me, I used to want to not like him, but I can't help but like him.

jmufootball2
November 5th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Rascati had a perfect performance yesterday, he is the best qb in I-AA hands down. Check out jmusports.com for the highlight reel which should be out soon(probably tomorrow) if you didnt catch it on tv.

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Rascati isn't even the best, or second best QB in his own conference. He didn't exactly light things up when he came up to Boone to take on Appalachian State earlier this season, either. Santos is hands down the top QB in the country and Coen has had a great year, too. How about Sean Schaefer of Towson? Marvin Burroughs of Villanova and Ron Whitcomb of Maine aren't chopped liver either.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Rascati isn't even the best, or second best QB in his own conference. He didn't exactly light things up when he came up to Boone to take on Appalachian State earlier this season, either. Santos is hands down the top QB in the country and Coen has had a great year, too. How about Sean Schaefer of Towson? Marvin Burroughs of Villanova and Ron Whitcomb of Maine aren't chopped liver either.

Put Rascati in UNH's offense and he'd have just as big as numbers as Santos. Rascati and Santos in the playoffs I'd rather have Rascati on my team any day of the week. Rascati's already been to the promised land.

Coen and Schafer are really good, but only sophmores. As far as Burroughs and Whitcomb, good, but not nearly as good as Rascati.

Can anybody pull up the numbers for the IAA QB ratings?

BillLuc1982
November 5th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I hope the Pittsburgh Steelers get Rascati.

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Put Rascati in UNH's offense and he'd have just as big as numbers as Santos. Rascati and Santos in the playoffs I'd rather have Rascati on my team any day of the week. Rascati's already been to the promised land.

Coen and Schafer are really good, but only sophmores. As far as Burroughs and Whitcomb, good, but not nearly as good as Rascati.

I'd take Santos any day over Rascati and so would almost any coach other than Mickey Matthews.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 5th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'd take Santos any day over Rascati and so would almost any coach other than Mickey Matthews.
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Head-to-head
Rascati-1
Santos-0

National Championships
Rascati-1
Santos-0

Rascati knows how to win.

JMUfan2008
November 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM

They don't have QB ratings, they have efficiency ratings...pretty sure he's in the top 10. But what that doesn't include is his decision-making (well, not completely). He has the ability to make something out of nothing on every play. If all the receivers are covered, he'll run, make a couple linebackers miss and get a 15 yard gain. He doesn't back off from a hit either, if he thinks diving over somebody will get him an extra yard or 2 he'll do it (though he does run out of bounds if he's close to it and about to get clobbered). He throws very few interceptions and at least a few of the ones he's had this season have been pass interference no-calls (App St and Richmond are 2 that come to mind). I mean, is the award for who has the most yards? most TDs? best efficiency? If it's for best all-around player then I would vote Rascati. Just look at the results... And I'm pretty sure we don't base the award off of one game (App St), because if we did I could also go with last night's game against Delaware where he had his best game of the season, or maybe when he played against Santos and we know the results of that game. Rascati is more of a playmaker than any other quarterback I've seen in I-AA this year, you can't just go off of stats.

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 5th, 2006, 10:32 PM
They don't have QB ratings, they have efficiency ratings...pretty sure he's in the top 10. But what that doesn't include is his decision-making (well, not completely). He has the ability to make something out of nothing on every play. If all the receivers are covered, he'll run, make a couple linebackers miss and get a 15 yard gain. He doesn't back off from a hit either, if he thinks diving over somebody will get him an extra yard or 2 he'll do it (though he does run out of bounds if he's close to it and about to get clobbered). He throws very few interceptions and at least a few of the ones he's had this season have been pass interference no-calls (App St and Richmond are 2 that come to mind). I mean, is the award for who has the most yards? most TDs? best efficiency? If it's for best all-around player then I would vote Rascati. Just look at the results... And I'm pretty sure we don't base the award off of one game (App St), because if we did I could also go with last night's game against Delaware where he had his best game of the season, or maybe when he played against Santos and we know the results of that game. Rascati is more of a playmaker than any other quarterback I've seen in I-AA this year, you can't just go off of stats.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

what he said:nod:

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 10:34 PM

Well they can get out their knives and chop liver during Thanksgiving.....xlolx

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Head-to-head
Rascati-1
Santos-0

National Championships
Rascati-1
Santos-0

Rascati knows how to win.
I think JMU's defense had more to do with both of those things than Rascati did. The problem for Rascati is Mickey's stuck-in-the-70s offense. If Rascati is truly that good, Matthews is stupid for not opening things up and utilizing his talent.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM

You can put almost any of the top QB's in the country up at UNH at they'd put up huge #'s (certainly helps to be mobile though). How many fans will say they don't want their own QB and want an oppenents instead? I know I'd rather have Coen then Santos or Rascati.

And what does it matter what year a QB is? If he is good, he's good.

Don't know if it's accurate, but I used http://home.new.rr.com/rosslahaye/ to calculate A10 QB ratings.

Coen - 126.96
Rascati - 109.84
Santos - 109.54
Schaefer - 106.12
Potts - 96.9
Flacco - 84.85
Burroughs - 82.38
Ward - 80.81
Clarkson - 79.73
Whitcomb - 76.58

Passing Efficiency Coen is leading IAA.

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Funny how UNH didn't start putting up those kind of numbers on offense and didn't start winning until Santos emerged as the starter.

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 10:51 PM
You can put almost any of the top QB's in the country up at UNH at they'd put up huge #'s (certainly helps to be mobile though). How many fans will say they don't want their own QB and want an oppenents instead? I know I'd rather have Coen then Santos or Rascati.

And what does it matter what year a QB is? If he is good, he's good.

Don't know if it's accurate, but I used http://home.new.rr.com/rosslahaye/ to calculate A10 QB ratings.

Coen - 126.96
Rascati - 109.84
Santos - 109.54
Schaefer - 106.12
Potts - 96.9
Flacco - 84.85
Burroughs - 82.38
Ward - 80.81
Clarkson - 79.73
Whitcomb - 76.58

Passing Efficiency Coen is leading IAA.

Well look at it like this.. would you rather have a stat happy Dan Marino or a play making Superbowl champ Joe Montana.... While Marino was lighting up the record books, Montana was bringing home the rings and will always be hailed as the better QB... and if Justin wins his 2nd ring this year, his story will be told. I think the Northeastern coach summed it up the best in a recent press conference..."Stats are for Losers"....xcoffeex

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Coen is good and and a sophmore. Rascati is very good. Santos is amazing and a junior. Hard to fault any of 'em.

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Coen is good and and a sophmore. Rascati is very good. Santos is amazing and a junior. Hard to fault any of 'em.
All three play different styles so it is hard to match the three up.

JMUfan2008
November 5th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Agreed. They're all great QB's. I guess in the end I just want to see Rascati get recognition for being great, but it's not my decision so I'll leave it up to the real voters to decide who they think is better. I just don't want anyone looking over him because his stats aren't as high as all the pass-happy offense QB's.

mainejeff
November 5th, 2006, 10:57 PM
man i love that guy.

“Justin Rascati is the best football player in the nation,” JMU coach Mickey Matthews said after Rascati quarterbacked the Dukes to a 44-24 dismantling of Delaware on Saturday night. “You can’t win those dadgum awards unless you have a four-wide attack anymore and it really hacks me off.” xlolx xlolx

Nah, some people just don't like whiney d***heads.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I think JMU's defense had more to do with both of those things than Rascati did. The problem for Rascati is Mickey's stuck-in-the-70s offense. If Rascati is truly that good, Matthews is stupid for not opening things up and utilizing his talent.

More often than not JMU is in a one back, tight end, 3 wideout. Occasionally no tightend, a 4th wideout. Sometimes have the fullback or 2nd tailback, with sometimes the tight end, 2 wideouts, or no tightend, 3 wideouts. It Just varies. Just because they don't throw it 70% of the time doesn't mean they have a stuck in the 70's offense. I'd rather see smash mouth than all that fancy spread throw it 40-50 times a game.

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Agreed. They're all great QB's. I guess in the end I just want to see Rascati get recognition for being great, but it's not my decision so I'll leave it up to the real voters to decide who they think is better. I just don't want anyone looking over him because his stats aren't as high as all the pass-happy offense QB's.

Can it really be said that either one is better...some QBs just know how to win stats be damned... Flutie is another great example...he just knew how to win and always came through when he was needed the most, his stats don't evern register considering how much of an impact player he was...but he always managed great wins "Flutie Style"....

Longhorn
November 5th, 2006, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=Maroon&White]
Coen - 126.96
Rascati - 109.84
Santos - 109.54
Schaefer - 106.12
Potts - 96.9
Flacco - 84.85
Burroughs - 82.38
Ward - 80.81
Clarkson - 79.73
Whitcomb - 76.58
QUOTE]

Don't know how the above numbers (NFL stats) were calculated, but Rascati's NCAA rating is 165.65, a number that includes the UD game. Check it out here:
http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stats/2/teamcume.htm

Kalos
November 5th, 2006, 11:11 PM

The job of a coach isn't to look good in front of the media or other team's fans, it's to win games. His comment about Rascati being the best quarterback may not have been true, but it shows a strong support for his quarterback. It's something that a good coach should be saying.

JMUfan2008
November 5th, 2006, 11:12 PM

is that why people don't like you? :rolleyes:

calling MM whiney or saying he complains too much is one thing...but calling him a d***head is a little much don't you think?

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Coen now has a 10 pt lead over any other Qb in I-AA for Pass Eff.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerpasseff&site=org

1. Coen(UMass) 186.2
2. Johnson(San Deigo) 176.3
3. Thigpen(Costal Car) 168.4
4. Drafts(Charleston So) 166.2
5. Rascati(JMU) 165.6
9. Shaffer(Towson) 153.5
10. Santos(UNH) 152.4

gomer
November 5th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I think everyone here has their own opinion just because they have been exposed to the qb they support. You really have to see all of the top qbs to make your decision. Rascati is a great qb and being a JMU fan i dont think we could find anyone better. But obviously since i-aa teams arent seen on national tv its hard to have an opinion on a qb that you can't watch or see highlights of each week.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM

How does that argument hold up when there is a National Championship and only 7 losses since 2004 began? Don't change what works.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Don't know how the above numbers (NFL stats) were calculated, but Rascati's NCAA rating is 165.65, a number that includes the UD game. Check it out here:
http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stats/2/teamcume.htm

Is passing effiecency the same as QB rating? Don't really care either way, I know Coen's is higher then Rascati's ;) :p

Longhorn
November 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Is passing effiecency the same as QB rating? Don't really care either way, I know Coen's is higher then Rascati's ;) :p

Good point, I've never read how they calculate the difference, but obviously there is. I haven't watched Coen play...perhaps we'll get lucky and get to see this resolved on the field during the playoffs. My money will be on Rascati...to win. :smiley_wi

erb4321
November 5th, 2006, 11:29 PM

How is Coen's run game? As effective as Rascatti's?

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 11:32 PM
How is Coen's run game? As effective as Rascatti's?

He never runs. Whether he can or not I don't know - doesn't look too swift on his feet though. Usually never has to scramble as he has plenty of time to throw - made a nice play scrambling vs. UNH that resulted in a TD though. Long run of season is 9yds and that came this past game too.

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I think everyone here has their own opinion just because they have been exposed to the qb they support. You really have to see all of the top qbs to make your decision. Rascati is a great qb and being a JMU fan i dont think we could find anyone better. But obviously since i-aa teams arent seen on national tv its hard to have an opinion on a qb that you can't watch or see highlights of each week.
I have seen Rascati numerous times on TV and twice in person (once in the I-AA championship game). As someone who actually votes on the Payton Award and for some All-American teams, he has never impressed me enough to vote for him for either honor. I'm just telling you that it is almost unanimous around the country from most experts that Santos is considered far and away the best QB in the country. He is the consensus All-American. No one else is close. Probably the next best is Josh Johnson of San Diego. I watch numerous games every week and see games in person every Saturday, so I know the quarterbacks who are out there. Mickey Matthews is just being the same Mickey Matthews we have all known since his days at Marshall. He hasn't changed. He always is making statements like these.

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Good point, I've never read how they calculate the difference, but obviously there is. I haven't watched Coen play...perhaps we'll get lucky and get to see this resolved on the field during the playoffs. My money will be on Rascati...to win. :smiley_wi
When Coen and Rascati played last season... who won that game? xlolx

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 11:35 PM
He never runs. Whether he can or not I don't know - doesn't look too swift on his feet though. Usually never has to scramble as he has plenty of time to throw - made a nice play scrambling vs. UNH that resulted in a TD though.
From the three times I've seen Coen this year, I've been impressed with his feet. He may not pick up 20 or 30 yards running, but he can be mobile enough to avoid a pass rush and complete a pass downfield. His second TD pass against UNH on Saturday was a perfect example. That was a play that a playmaker makes.

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I have watched 3 JMU games, 3 UNH games and all but 2 UMass games this season. As I said before, all three play a different game therefore its hard to match them up against each other.

JMUfan2008
November 5th, 2006, 11:36 PM

Is the award based on their career or the current season :p And just in case you haven't noticed, we already have more wins this season than last with 2 games left to play...we're a little better this year...

JMUfan2008
November 5th, 2006, 11:39 PM
He never runs. Whether he can or not I don't know - doesn't look too swift on his feet though. Usually never has to scramble as he has plenty of time to throw - made a nice play scrambling vs. UNH that resulted in a TD though. Long run of season is 9yds and that came this past game too.

yeah...Rascati had a pretty nice play against UNH also using his feet...a 4th down conversion option that resulted in a 40 yard touchdown run by Rascati...not too bad for a QB...

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I have seen Rascati numerous times on TV and twice in person (once in the I-AA championship game). As someone who actually votes on the Payton Award and for some All-American teams, he has never impressed me enough to vote for him for either honor. I'm just telling you that it is almost unanimous around the country from most experts that Santos is considered far and away the best QB in the country. He is the consensus All-American. No one else is close. Probably the next best is Josh Johnson of San Diego. I watch numerous games every week and see games in person every Saturday, so I know the quarterbacks who are out there. Mickey Matthews is just being the same Mickey Matthews we have all known since his days at Marshall. He hasn't changed. He always is making statements like these.

I see your point as to not impressing... but smoke and mirrors don't win games, a good head, strong arm, good legs, and playcalling that goes to your strengths works. That has made Rascati the winningest QB at Madsion. And I wouldn't be suprised to see him get invited to tryouts next year at a few NFL teams.
And I also agree Mickey is doing his thing. He's supporting his players. But I also agree with Mickey that stats win awards and Rascati will never have the stats when the Dukes have an effective rush offense and a defense that keeps the Dukes in the lead.
I personally would love to see an O lineman or Fullback win a big award like this, but since they don't have tangible stats noone pays any attention to just how great a player they are. And thats because we sit in our armchairs as great prognositcators of quality and don't actually look beyond our trusty stat books...

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Is the award based on their career or the current season :p And just in case you haven't noticed, we already have more wins this season than last with 2 games left to play...we're a little better this year...
And you should notice we have 1 win more then last as well.

Longhorn
November 5th, 2006, 11:45 PM

The lousy field and playing conditions (plus an assist by the refs that gave you a phantom two yard spot to maintain possession near the game's end) :smiley_wi .

But we like playing teams in the playoffs that "won the last one"...just ask W&M :nod:

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 11:45 PM
How does that argument hold up when there is a National Championship and only 7 losses since 2004 began? Don't change what works.
Talk to a few defensive coaches around the country from some of the better teams and they will tell you that JMU's offense doesn't exactly scare them. It is basic, smash-mouth football and it may win you some games, but when you get up against a really good defense (like Appalachian State's), what does it do for you? If Rascati is truly the best player in the country, then Mickey is wasting him in that three-yards and a cloud of dust offense. I'm not the only one who is critical of JMU's offensive approach. If the Dukes played UMass (like the top two teams in a conference should), I think they would have a hard time generating many points. Same goes for Cal Poly and any other good defense you would throw at them.

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I see your point as to not impressing... but smoke and mirrors don't win games, a good head, strong arm, good legs, and playcalling that goes to your strengths works. That has made Rascati the winningest QB at Madsion. And I wouldn't be suprised to see him get invited to tryouts next year at a few NFL teams.
And I also agree Mickey is doing his thing. He's supporting his players. But I also agree with Mickey that stats win awards and Rascati will never have the stats when the Dukes have an effective rush offense and a defense that keeps the Dukes in the lead.
I personally would love to see an O lineman or Fullback win a big award like this, but since they don't have tangible stats noone pays any attention to just how great a player they are. And thats because we sit in our armchairs as great prognositcators of quality and don't actually look beyond our trusty stat books...
I was one of the few people around the country giving Corey Davis his do during JMU's championship run in 2004. I thought Davis was simply brilliant in the playoffs. BTW, Jerome Felton, the fullback at Furman, will be one of the five players on my Payton Award ballot. He is as good as any player in I-AA and will be a star in the NFL. As for Rascati, he will get a shot at making an NFL roster (that's what my pro contacts say), but calling him the best player in I-AA is just another goofy comment in a long line of goofy comments by Mickey Matthews.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 5th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Talk to a few defensive coaches around the country from some of the better teams and they will tell you that JMU's offense doesn't exactly scare them. It is basic, smash-mouth football and it may win you some games, but when you get up against a really good defense (like Appalachian State's), what does it do for you? If Rascati is truly the best player in the country, then Mickey is wasting him in that three-yards and a cloud of dust offense. I'm not the only one who is critical of JMU's offensive approach. If the Dukes played UMass (like the top two teams in a conference should), I think they would have a hard time generating many points. Same goes for Cal Poly and any other good defense you would throw at them.

I see I see... I'd like to play some of those teams who's coaches aren't afraid of the offense... Averaging 33 points per game should scare people... and I don't doubt they'd change their mind after the game.

Also, you have to see that the offense just wasn't together like it is now back vs. App. I mean they only put up 14 points against D-II Bloomsburg the week prior (who is a good team but still should not put up better defensive efforts than Richmond, UNH, Northeastern, URI, etc etc...)

Longhorn
November 5th, 2006, 11:58 PM

:rotateh: I have just lost all respect for your "objectivity"...: smh : ...your last post says it all. Obviously you've not been paying attention to how JMU's been scoring this year, and I think you've somehow got the JMU's 2004 NC offense on your brain. Yes, JMU is a physical, fast and athletic team. JMU's OL is huge, and it will manhandle a team not ready to play. But the speed and number of ways the 2006 edition of the Dukes can score...have been scoring...is frankly scary. Hopefully JMU and UMass will get a chance to meet in the playoffs so this little discussion can be put to rest. :smiley_wi

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 6th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Perhaps MM has some goofy rants, but it has to feel great to hear your coach publicly praise you and support you. Remember, these are still kids playing ball afterall.

And as fans, we eat this stuff up. How do you grow attendance by 5-10% each year? You get a character like this that knows how to recruit, how to coach, and how to encourage the fans base. Oh year, winning helps too :D

Over time, this leads to a long line of fans for games. Most of us in VA often look at VT as an example of how to go from crap to national powerhouse. MM is also quite chummy with Frank Beamer. All this plays a part.

Oh, and if Coen is a true pocket passer, our Dline and LBs will have a field day if and when we see UMass in the playoffs. 40 sacks to date. On pace to surpass the 55 we had in 2004's NC title run. :nod:

erb4321
November 6th, 2006, 12:00 AM

Then I think Rascati's running element should give him a considerable advantage over Coen in a "race" this close. Not only does he gain yards, but he adds a diverse element to the JMU offensive attack. This strengthens all facets of the offense by allowing options and other trickery. Not to mention it always keeps the defensive backs confused on how to react to what he is doing.

umassfan
November 6th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Then I think Rascati's running element should give him a considerable advantage over Coen in a "race" this close. Not only does he gain yards, but he adds a diverse element to the JMU offensive attack. This strengthens all facets of the offense by allowing options and other trickery. Not to mention it always keeps the defensive backs confused on how to react to what he is doing.
How is 20 pts in pass eff close?

umassfan
November 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Perhaps MM has some goofy rants, but it has to feel great to hear your coach publicly praise you and support you. Remember, these are still kids playing ball afterall.

And as fans, we eat this stuff up. How do you grow attendance by 5-10% each year? You get a character like this that knows how to recruit, how to coach, and how to encourage the fans base. Oh year, winning helps too :D

Over time, this leads to a long line of fans for games. Most of us in VA often look at VT as an example of how to go from crap to national powerhouse. MM is also quite chummy with Frank Beamer. All this plays a part.

Oh, and if Coen is a true pocket passer, our Dline and LBs will have a field day if and when we see UMass in the playoffs. 40 sacks to date. On pace to surpass the 55 we had in 2004's NC title run. :nod:

Yea and UMass has given up only 9 sacks in 9 games. Watch the highlights from the game vs UNH and you will see his movement in the pocket.

DB_Atlantic10
November 6th, 2006, 12:08 AM

The more I read your posts, the more bias I see..... not something a voter should be. Now I really have no faith in the process.....

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 12:09 AM
As for Rascati, he will get a shot at making an NFL roster (that's what my pro contacts say), but calling him the best player in I-AA is just another goofy comment in a long line of goofy comments by Mickey Matthews.

As far as the pro scouts, do you know how they rate the IAA senior quarterbacks? Who's likely to be drafted? Where? Free agent shots? I'm guessing Rascati is tabbed as a late round or free agent shot?

Pro scouts are probably far better evaluaters of talent than ALL of us- thats what these guys do for a living with tremendous stakes involved. This year's draft might solve who is the better regarded senior IAA QB, but since Santos is a junior you couln't compare him to Rascati in that regard till next year.

Maroon&White
November 6th, 2006, 12:10 AM

Sacks by JMU on UMass

2005: 1 sack
2004: 1 sack
2003: 1 sack

UMass sacks on JMU

2005: 0
2004: 4
2003: 3

UMass has led the A10 in fewest sacks allowed for how many years now, 2? (really can't remember).

erb4321
November 6th, 2006, 12:10 AM

I thought we were rolling on the passer rating stat. I had been skimming the thread (while watching the Colts and Patriots). Still, I think the added dimension of an effective QB running attack can really turn an entire game around in more ways than just individual QB performance stats. It's easy to overlook in discussions like this.

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:16 AM

GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
Coen
Running 9 16 32 67 -35 -2.2 0 9 -3.9
Passing 9 186.16 120-174-4 69.0 1855 17 89 206.1
Total Yards 1820

Rascati
Running 9 82 403 58 345 4.2 2 40 38.3
Passing 9 165.65 112-166-6 67.5 1533 14 71 170.3
Total Yards 1879

I think I'll take the QB that can run AND pass. :smiley_wi

umassfan
November 6th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Coen
Total Yards 1820

Rascati
Total Yards 1879

We have Baylark to do the running.... A TRUE Payton Watch List player. :D

jmufootball2
November 6th, 2006, 12:17 AM
wow you must really have some time on your hands to pull up a stat like that.

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 12:19 AM

Getting 4 against UD to raise JMU to 40 broke the old regular season team sack record, according to the JMU sports website article on the game (bottom of page)

http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stories/2_4573.asp?TeamID=2

At this pace, IF JMU made the title game, JMU would probably end up with 60-65.

Maroon&White
November 6th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Coen
Total Yards 1820

Rascati
Total Yards 1879

I thought JMU people didn't care about stats???

I'm assuming that QB you'll take is Santos...right?

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 12:24 AM
The more I read your posts, the more bias I see..... not something a voter should be. Now I really have no faith in the process.....
Bias for whom, or against whom? I am not affliated with the A-10 in any way. I judge things with my own eyes and I am just passing along information that others have told me. Obviously, Rascati didn't have much chance of winning the Payton Award in the view of Matt Dougherty and The Sports Network, which is why he was taken off the ballot.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 12:25 AM

Actually... if you're implying total yards is what he's basing his pick on, you'd mean its Schaefer with the most in the A10...

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 12:25 AM

Personally, I think it should be the coaches who also vote for these awards (Buchanan, Payton, etc). With all due respect to sportswriters, I've always had more faith in coaches polls than ones by sportswriters. I don't know if coaches (yes, I know they're also biased towards their own conference's, regions, etc) have any votes for these awards.

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:29 AM
We have Baylark to do the running.... A TRUE Payton Watch List player. :D

Yep...we've heard this before...like Richardson at App ST. who did little to nothing against JMU...or UR's Hightower. Again, I'm honestly looking forward to a possible UMass/JMU matchup...hopefully in Nooga so the A10 can shine. :smiley_wi

By the way, how many 80 yard TDs has Baylark run for this season? JMU's Holloman has done it twice...in just 7 games. :nod:

Maroon&White
November 6th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Actually... if you're implying total yards is what he's basing his pick on, you'd mean its Schaefer with the most in the A10...

I'm not implying anything :confused:

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:31 AM

Santos is a ulimately a loser, too small, and not up to winning the big games. Reminds me of Jake Plummer...put him under pressure and he cracks.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 12:31 AM
As far as the pro scouts, do you know how they rate the IAA senior quarterbacks? Who's likely to be drafted? Where? Free agent shots? I'm guessing Rascati is tabbed as a late round or free agent shot?

Pro scouts are probably far better evaluaters of talent than ALL of us- thats what these guys do for a living with tremendous stakes involved. This year's draft might solve who is the better regarded senior IAA QB, but since Santos is a junior you couln't compare him to Rascati in that regard till next year.
First off, talent alone doesn't mean you should get an award, performance does. In the case of Rascati and the pros, I've heard him listed as a late-round or free agent-type guy. One of the things going for him is he has the pro-type body. But this is an extremely weak year for quarterbacks across the board, particularly seniors. There just are not very many good ones out there. Of course, one of the reasons for that was that we had a tremendous group of senior QBs in I-AA last year.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Yep...we've heard this before...like Richardson at App ST. who did little to nothing against JMU...or UR's Hightower. Again, I'm honestly looking forward to a possible UMass/JMU matchup...hopefully in Nooga so the A10 can shine. :smiley_wi

By the way, how many 80 yard TDs has Baylark run for this season? JMU's Holloman has done it twice...in just 7 games. :nod:

How many 50+ yard plays is that for him now? 4-5-6?? I'm starting to loose count!!
I liked how A10.org put it, "If he's even, he's leavin!"

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 12:35 AM

Actually, Holloman has a 50 yarder against UD, a 53 against W&M, a 64 against RI, a 74 against NE, and an 80 against UD. I think its 806 yards in 7 games, 2 games DNP.

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Bias for whom, or against whom? I am not affliated with the A-10 in any way. I judge things with my own eyes and I am just passing along information that others have told me. Obviously, Rascati didn't have much chance of winning the Payton Award in the view of Matt Dougherty and The Sports Network, which is why he was taken off the ballot.

One more round for the Payton list to be amended...MM's lobbying on behalf of Justin can't hurt. ;)

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Personally, I think it should be the coaches who also vote for these awards (Buchanan, Payton, etc). With all due respect to sportswriters, I've always had more faith in coaches polls than ones by sportswriters. I don't know if coaches (yes, I know they're also biased towards their own conference's, regions, etc) have any votes for these awards.
Coaches only see films of the teams they are preparing to play and from my observations over the years are far more biased than media folks in regards to conference loyalties, friends etc. I can't tell you if any coaches have votes for the Payton and Buchanan awards. At least some writers make an effort to keep up with teams from around the country and some even try to watch as many games as they can. I've seen approximately 70 I-AA teams this year either in person, or on tape. If more games were on satellite, I'd see more.

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Coaches only see films of the teams they are preparing to play and from my observations over the years are far more biased than media folks in regards to conference loyalties, friends etc. I can't tell you if any coaches have votes for the Payton and Buchanan awards. At least some writers make an effort to keep up with teams from around the country and some even try to watch as many games as they can. I've seen approximately 70 I-AA teams this year either in person, or on tape. If more games were on satellite, I'd see more.

And pray tell, how many JMU games have you watched?

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 12:38 AM
One more round for the Payton list to be amended...MM's lobbying on behalf of Justin can't hurt. ;)
Totally disagree. I think Mickey's outburst probably turned a lot of people off. Good move to blast the guy who makes the decision on who is on the ballot. Mickey just never has displayed a lot of diplomacy skills.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Actually, Holloman has a 50 yarder against UD, a 53 against W&M, a 64 against RI, a 74 against NE, and an 80 against UD. I think its 806 yards in 7 games, 2 games DNP.

Thats 321 yards in 5 carries right there!!

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Totally disagree. I think Mickey's outburst probably turned a lot of people off. Good move to blast the guy who makes the decision on who is on the ballot. Mickey just never has displayed a lot of diplomacy skills.

Time will tell....a two-time national coach of the year has alot of friends. But MM is first and foremost a player's coach...and his players will run through walls for him....and ultimately that's what counts when it comes to gameday.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 12:42 AM

Oye... diplomacy isn't football... you win games you're a good coach!:twocents:

don't blast that with anything about prospects, recruiting, or awards.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 12:43 AM
And pray tell, how many JMU games have you watched?
I've seen JMU probably more times in the past three years than just about any team not in the south (other than Lafayette, whose games are on every week). Too many times to count. I have seen JMU twice in person in that time frame (once this year) and would have seen a third, but for a family commitment. I am well aware of Rascati's strengths and weaknesses.

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I've seen JMU probably more times in the past three years than just about any team not in the south (other than Lafayette, whose games are on every week). Too many times to count. I have seen JMU twice in person in that time frame (once this year) and would have seen a third, but for a family commitment. I am well aware of Rascati's strengths and weaknesses.

Once this year :rotateh: ...what game?

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 12:47 AM
:rotateh: I have just lost all respect for your "objectivity"...: smh : ...your last post says it all. Obviously you've not been paying attention to how JMU's been scoring this year, and I think you've somehow got the JMU's 2004 NC offense on your brain. Yes, JMU is a physical, fast and athletic team. JMU's OL is huge, and it will manhandle a team not ready to play. But the speed and number of ways the 2006 edition of the Dukes can score...have been scoring...is frankly scary. Hopefully JMU and UMass will get a chance to meet in the playoffs so this little discussion can be put to rest. :smiley_wi
Just so you know, I've had JMU in my top 10 just about all year and have ranked them at least fourth since the win over UNH. I have also seen them play in person and know what they are capable of. Just remember my posts when the end of the road in the playoffs comes as some defense shuts you down again like Appalachian State did. No smack, just my opinion. The Dukes are a team that has some weaknesses, despite their current streak. You folks need to quit being homers about your team.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Once this year :rotateh: ...what game?
Saw JMU in person at Appalachian State.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Saw JMU in person at Appalachian State.

Not the same team that is playing now.

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Just so you know, I've had JMU in my top 10 just about all year and have ranked them at least fourth since the win over UNH. I have also seen them play in person and know what they are capable of. Just remember my posts when the end of the road in the playoffs comes as some defense shuts you down again like Appalachian State did. No smack, just my opinion. The Dukes are a team that has some weaknesses, despite their current streak. You folks need to quit being homers about your team.

I honestly don't care where you've ranked them...your objectivity is already shot IMO....I asked (out of curiosity) what game you watched in person? Sounds like the App St. game as you've referenced that several times.

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I honestly don't care where you've ranked them...your objectivity is already shot IMO....I asked (out of curiosity) what game you watched in person? Sounds like the App St. game as you've referenced that several times.

App St.

Well, there you go. Maybe you should check out a few more recent game tapes and educate yourself. JMU is not flawless...no team is...but I'll make you a little side bet about any JMU/App St. rematch. :smiley_wi

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 12:57 AM
MM has done stuff like this before to motivate. Before the UNH game he talked about how the week prior that UR with a really good D line had been able to get heat on Santos by only rushing 4. MM basically went on to say that his d-line wasn't good enough to do that so JMU would have to blitz. At the time I was thinking, why is he downplaying his d-line's ability? They're leading the A-10 in sacks (JMU was at the time as they still are). Then during the game, what does JMU do- same thing as UR. Almost excusively rushed 4, rarely blitzed, and a motivated JMU d-line sacked Santos 5 times. Suppon, a DT, got 3.

"Matthews credited much of the Spiders’ success to its defensive front and said No. 13 JMU won’t likely be able to generate the same pass rush unless it blitzes some Saturday. Richmond, Matthews said, rushed four defensive linemen and kept its seven other defenders back, yet still pressured UNH star quarterback Ricky Santos.

"With their front four so good at Richmond, they really frustrated New Hampshire in many regards," Matthews said. "For us to think we can do that is probably not reality. … We’re going to do our thing. We’re going to keep doing what we do on defense. We rush four, we rush seven. We rush five, we rush six. We’re going to have to mix it up against them.""

http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=6716&CHID=3&key=JMu%20football%20New%20Hampshire&title=&author=&channelid=

I think MM in his aw shucks West TX kind of way is a great motivator.

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 01:00 AM

Diplomacy never won ballgames...or championships.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Diplomacy never won ballgames...or championships.
But it has helped cost players Payton Awards. Just ask Doug Williams, Bruce Eugene and Grambling.

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Damn- started this thread about 4 hrs ago, and now its 9 pages long. Leave it to Mickey Matthews to provide a little verbal red meat so to speak to the press that stirs up a little controversy..must..go..to...bed.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Not the same team that is playing now.
Neither is an Appalachian State team that has put 40 points or more up in six of the eight games its has played since beating JMU and has been even better on defense than it was in that 21-10 victory. ASU is ranked No. 1 for a reason.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:12 AM
App St.

Well, there you go. Maybe you should check out a few more recent game tapes and educate yourself. JMU is not flawless...no team is...but I'll make you a little side bet about any JMU/App St. rematch. :smiley_wi
I am well educated on what JMU is doing and keep track of them every week. I watch all the A-10 teams as often as possible. By the way, ASU is 11-3 lifetime against JMU and I doubt that the Mountaineers would be too concerned about playing the Dukes again. Now UMass, on the other hand ...

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Neither is an Appalachian State team that has put 40 points or more up in six of the eight games its has played since beating JMU and has been even better on defense than it was in that 21-10 victory. ASU is ranked No. 1 for a reason.

Oh I'm not questioning that at all. 1,2,3,4 is exactly as it should be. I was saying the JMU offense is much much much improved and should be considered dangerous.

jmuduke999999999
November 6th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I doubt that the Mountaineers would be too concerned about playing the Dukes again.

xlolx "Let us be thankful for the fools; but for them the rest of us could not succeed." ~ Mark Twain

Secondly, which of ASU many impressive victories over powerhouse teams has thrilled you the most? Wolford? Gardner-Webb? Mars Hill? The only substantial team since JMU they've managed to beat was Furman. It is easy to feed on the scraps.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 01:20 AM
But it has helped cost players Payton Awards. Just ask Doug Williams, Bruce Eugene and Grambling.

Just goes to show, awards don't make champions. Ever wonder why there is always controversy over stats and awards but never over who's the champ? Its because the best players are the winners and the awards go to who we "think" is the best.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:26 AM
xlolx "Let us be thankful for the fools; but for them the rest of us could not succeed." ~ Mark Twain

Secondly, which of ASU many impressive victories over powerhouse teams has thrilled you the most? Wolford? Gardner-Webb? Mars Hill? The only substantial team since JMU they've managed to beat was Furman. It easy to feed on the scraps.
Who the heck is Wolford? As the defending national champs, it has been well documented that the Mountaineers had trouble finding teams to schedule them (JMU being one of the few exceptions). As far as some of those other schools are concerned, you might be surprised that some of those teams would hold their own with the A-10. Elon, not exactly one of the best SoCon teams, held its own with Towson, one of the schools that is still being talked about as a possible playoff team. And Wofford was on the 10-yard line in the final minute threatening to beat South Carolina of the mighty SEC this season. Wofford would give a bunch of teams in the A-10 fits. ASU has beaten all of the major teams on its schedule handily (including JMU), that's why the Mountaineers are No. 1.

jmuduke999999999
November 6th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Who the heck is Wolford? As the defending national champs, it has been well documented that the Mountaineers had trouble finding teams to schedule them (JMU being one of the few exceptions). As far as some of those other schools are concerned, you might be surprised that some of those teams would hold their own with the A-10. Elon, not exactly one of the best SoCon teams, held its own with Towson, one of the schools that is still being talked about as a possible playoff team. And Wofford was on the 10-yard line in the final minute threatening to beat South Carolina of the mighty SEC this season. Wofford would give a bunch of teams in the A-10 fits. ASU has beaten all of the major teams on its schedule handily (including JMU), that's why the Mountaineers are No. 1.

Correction ASU beat one major team this year, JMU, one solid team this year Furman, and a bunch of also rans and scraps, but thanks for playing.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Just goes to show, awards don't make champions. Ever wonder why there is always controversy over stats and awards but never over who's the champ? Its because the best players are the winners and the awards go to who we "think" is the best.
There is no question that it is hard to win a championship. But often times, the best players do not play on teams that are talented enough to win a title. The Payton Award doesn't go to the player who is the most talented guy on the team that wins the most games. It goes to the best player and hopefully that is how people vote for it. Was Rascati a better player than Lang Campbell in 2004, when Campbell won the Payton, but lost to JMU in the semifinals? No, Rascati just had a better supporting cast (though the two teams split their two games that year). Was Rascati a worse player in 2005 than he was in 2004, when the Dukes failed to reach the playoffs? I don't think so. A lot of things go into winning individual awards and championships. When you look at most of the Payton Award and Buchanan Award winners, I think that names like Brian Westbrook and Dexter Coakley tell you that the voters have done a pretty good job over the years.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Correction ASU beat one major team this year, JMU, one solid team this year Furman, and a bunch of also rans and scraps, but thanks for playing.
And JMU has lost to ASU, beat a solid New Hampshire team and a decent Richmond club, along with a bunch of other scraps and also rans. Do you really think that wins over Bloomsburg, VMI and Rhode Island are more impressive than some of ASU's wins?

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 01:45 AM
There is no question that it is hard to win a championship. But often times, the best players do not play on teams that are talented enough to win a title. The Payton Award doesn't go to the player who is the most talented guy on the team that wins the most games. It goes to the best player and hopefully that is how people vote for it. Was Rascati a better player than Lang Campbell in 2004, when Campbell won the Payton, but lost to JMU in the semifinals? No, Rascati just had a better supporting cast (though the two teams split their two games that year). Was Rascati a worse player in 2005 than he was in 2004, when the Dukes failed to reach the playoffs? I don't think so. A lot of things go into winning individual awards and championships. When you look at most of the Payton Award and Buchanan Award winners, I think that names like Brian Westbrook and Dexter Coakley tell you that the voters have done a pretty good job over the years.

Well actually I do think so on both accounts... Clutch performances are more indicative of greatness... I'll relate this to music since its my forte... The best practicer is not the best soloist.

Rascati proved he was better when it counted in the playoffs with no Int's and enough offense to win. Campbell folded under the semi-final's pressure.
2005 Rascati made some mental mistakes and payed for it. Staying in-bounds vs. Richmond cost the Dukes the playoffs.

I'm pretty much done but I'll leave you with a little thing to think about... The Yankees this year... SOOOOOO much talent agreed? Does that talent deserve a consolation prize for their players because they couldn't win in the clutch? Nope...
And Joe Montana is better than Dan Marino any day of the week. Payton Manning will never be Tom Brady unless he starts winning superbowls.

jmuduke999999999
November 6th, 2006, 02:03 AM
And JMU has lost to ASU, beat a solid New Hampshire team and a decent Richmond club, along with a bunch of other scraps and also rans. Do you really think that wins over Bloomsburg, VMI and Rhode Island are more impressive than some of ASU's wins?

Don't downplay UNH, JMU went into their place, at homecoming and beat the #1 team in the country. At what point this year did ASU do that? JMU then went into Richmond, another former top 10 team and beat them at their place. Remind me again, which top ten teams did ASU play on the road this year and beat again?

As to the scraps on JMU's schedule, yes I'd say with certainty a depleted UD, a down W&M and I'd even say a mediocre Northeastern team would beat up on many of the teams ASU has played this year. I think any of those teams would be chomping at the bit to play Mars Hill or Gardner Webb.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 02:11 AM
As to the scraps on JMU's schedule, yes I'd say with certainty a depleted UD, a down W&M and I'd even say a mediocre Northeastern team would beat up on many of the teams ASU has played this year. I think any of those teams would be chomping at the bit to play Mars Hill or Gardner Webb.
Or Bloomsburg.

blur2005
November 6th, 2006, 02:12 AM
I'd like to say that I don't think Rascati should win the Payton. He's a very good quarterback, but he's not Ricky Santos. Just throwing that out there. I'd say Rascati is a top ten QB in I-AA, probably top five. But to make a point, he may not be the number one player individually but he seems to be perfect for JMU...so I wouldn't have anyone else.

jmuduke999999999
November 6th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Or Bloomsburg.
Yup you're right Bloomsburg would beat both Mars Hill and Gardner Webb.

th0m
November 6th, 2006, 05:01 AM
ASU is 11-3 lifetime against JMU and I doubt that the Mountaineers would be too concerned about playing the Dukes again. Now UMass, on the other hand ...

That's EXACTLY how we want you to think of us, and the way Lehigh, Furman (not W&M) and Montana thought about us.

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Or Bloomsburg.

Bloomsburg is 8-1, ranked 6 in DII last weeks poll, only loss to JMU. Last year they finished I believe 11-1, a DII powerhouse, and would beat the majority of non-schlorship, and probably 1/2 the schlorship, IAAs.

Dukie95
November 6th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Wow, such rampant disrespect for JMU here on the AGS boards.

Now that the A-10 has started beating each other up in conference play, it's now so easy to knock our schedule and poo-poo our best wins of the season, UNH and Richmond. Both road wins were were decided at halftime against top 10 teams that had previously beaten I-A clubs.

I don't know what JMU needs to do to gain some respect from the old guard here...maybe they need to run up the score more.

:smiley_wi

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Wow, such rampant disrespect for JMU here on the AGS boards.

Now that the A-10 has started beating each other up in conference play, it's now so easy to knock our schedule and poo-poo our best wins of the season, UNH and Richmond. Both road wins were were decided at halftime against top 10 teams that had previously beaten I-A clubs.

I don't know what JMU needs to do to gain some respect from the old guard here...maybe they need to run up the score more.

:smiley_wi

xlolx xsmileyclapx

JMUfan2008
November 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Bloomsburg is 8-1, ranked 6 in DII last weeks poll, only loss to JMU. Last year they finished I believe 11-1, a DII powerhouse, and would beat the majority of non-schlorship, and probably 1/2 the schlorship, IAAs.

I'd bet on Bloomsburg to beat 2-3 teams on our schedule and several of the teams on ASU's schedule. Look at the team, not the D-II title.

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I am well educated on what JMU is doing and keep track of them every week. I watch all the A-10 teams as often as possible. By the way, ASU is 11-3 lifetime against JMU and I doubt that the Mountaineers would be too concerned about playing the Dukes again. Now UMass, on the other hand ...

Reading the paper/stat lines doesn't cut it...but there are some lovely highlight clips of games played after ASU on the JMU sports site you might enjoy watching. A picture is still worth a thousand words.

And as for ASU's 11-3 all-time record against JMU, so what? JMU has a winning record against UConn...but again, so what? That and 75 cents will get you a Dr. Pepper. You don't play all-time records...things change...like UConn going D1A...does a winning record from days gone by mean we'd beat UConn now? Honestly, citing series records is dumb. And you get a vote on the Payton? : smh : Hard to believe. Oh, by the way, UD has a much more commanding lead in the all-time series against JMU...but those past glory years didn't do them much good this past weekend.

Here's to wishing ASU success the rest of the season, and a sincere hope both schools get a chance at a rematch. But honestly, no smack talk, I don't see App St. making it back to the championship game. Your offense is suspect, led by a talented but still too young QB, and unfortunately you've just lost Cory, most likely for the season. And if your sense of ASU's mindset can be relied upon, and it's true that ASU won't be "too concerned" about playing JMU again...that attitude, in the language of Mr. Burn's is excellent :nod: ....I hope it stays that way until gameday. Overconfidence and high expectations are always an ally for any underdog, and JMU will certainly be cast as the underdog in a rematch. No doubt about that. But if ASU meets either UMass or JMU this year prior to Nooga, IMO ASU's season will be over.

psc2445
November 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM
i just read this whole thread without a response so here goes, rascati is talented and is one of the top qb's in the country, as for the asu references, you may well get your wish of a asu vs. jmu rematch. bring it, i would love to see those two teams square off. both teams are much improved and neither team can do anything about their respective schedules to this point. another reason i love the playoffs. i agree stats are moot especially when teams have multiple weapons and opponents have varying weaknesses that need exploiting each week. believe or not coaches make adjustments to game plans each week to play each opponent. as for the reason this thread started, i to this point have thought mm came across as an aloof jackass, but i have to say i like a coach who isnt afraid to defend his players and i commend him for it. sad to say but awards are given mainly on stats with team success coming in a distant 2nd. rascati is one of many players overlooked each year because he has a succesful supporting cast(i.e. running game and defense). you would never hear jerry moore make a quote like that, but both coaches are succesful at their trade and that should be all that matters wins and losses. different opproaches with similar results. just my thoughts(i believe this i my longes post ever btw)

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM
IMO this is something that should have been said behind closed doors. Rascati was not the only player dropped from the list, but Matthews is the only coach to come out and bitch and moan about it. Sure, he is showing support to his player, but bottom line, you don't go to the press with something like this unless you want to complain about it. This would have a much better effect if he has pulled Rascati into his office and said "Yes, you were dropped from the list, but IMO, you are the best QB in the nation". All this serves to prove is that Matthews likes to hear himself talk.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Reading the paper/stat lines doesn't cut it...but there are some lovely highlight clips of games played after ASU on the JMU sports site you might enjoy watching. A picture is still worth a thousand words.

And as for ASU's 11-3 all-time record against JMU, so what? JMU has a winning record against UConn...but again, so what? That and 75 cents will get you a Dr. Pepper. You don't play all-time records...things change...like UConn going D1A...does a winning record from days gone by mean we'd beat UConn now? Honestly, citing series records is dumb. And you get a vote on the Payton? : smh : Hard to believe. Oh, by the way, UD has a much more commanding lead in the all-time series against JMU...but those past glory years didn't do them much good this past weekend.

Here's to wishing ASU success the rest of the season, and a sincere hope both schools get a chance at a rematch. But honestly, no smack talk, I don't see App St. making it back to the championship game. Your offense is suspect, led by a talented but still too young QB, and unfortunately you've just lost Cory, most likely for the season. And if your sense of ASU's mindset can be relied upon, and it's true that ASU won't be "too concerned" about playing JMU again...that attitude, in the language of Mr. Burn's is excellent :nod: ....I hope it stays that way until gameday. Overconfidence and high expectations are always an ally for any underdog, and JMU will certainly be cast as the underdog in a rematch. No doubt about that. But if ASU meets either UMass or JMU this year prior to Nooga, IMO ASU's season will be over.
My offense? I don't play at App State. I don't attend App State. My sheepskin doesn't say App State. I cover I-AA football. That is my tie. But to the facts. App State has won 24 straight games at Kidd Brewer Stadium (including one against JMU in that streak). The Mountaineers haven't lost there since the 2002 playoffs (14-13 against Maine, but that is ancient history). None of the seniors at ASU have ever experienced a loss at Kidd Brewer Stadium. ASU will be home for the first three rounds of the playoffs. It's not any guarantee the Mountaineers won't lose, but it is going to take an incredible team to beat them at home and keep them from returning to Chattanooga.

ASU's offense is suspect? The Mountaineers are averaging over 30 points a game. They have one of the top runners in Kevin Richardson, two of the better receivers in I-AA in William Mayfield and Dexter Jackson, an offensive lineman in Kerry Brown that is considered an NFL-caliber player, another in Matt Isenhour who was the offensive lineman of the year in the SoCon last year, an All-American tight end in Daniel Bettis and a young, talented quarterback who will likely be named the freshman of the year in the SoCon. If something happens to the freshman, a junior QB who wasgood enough to start in a national championship game backs him up. Trey Elder, Eric Sanders and Justin Rascati are the only QBs in I-AA right now who can make that claim.

As good as JMU's offense might be, ASU has more weapons offensively at almost every position (I'd give you the edge at QB, because of Rascati's experience, and the OL is pretty even, though ASU is more experienced. Holloman has also had a very good year). As for overconfidence, I don't think you win every I-AA you play for more than a year (15 straight) if you are over-confident. There is a difference between confidence and over-confidence.

Who said that All-American safety Corey Lynch is out for the season? That hasn't been determined. I would be surprised not to see him playing in the playoffs. And why is citing series records dumb? ASU has just always had its way with JMU and has traditionally had a better program over the years. You might also like to know that Jerry Moore had a huge advantage coaching against Mickey Matthews teams. That means something.

As far as reading stat lines, I ALREADY told you I've seen JMU play as much as almost any team around for the past three years. Short of be at your games every week, I think I have as much knowledge of your team as any non-JMU beat writer in the country.

No one is disrespecting JMU or its quarterback. I just think there are a couple of teams out there that are better than the Dukes. You JMU fans have some of the thinnest skin of anyone on this board. It's also funny how that JMU fans were ripping on your team after the near-loss to D-II Bloomsburg and now you are extolling the virtues of them. A little inconsistent?

If you want to express opinions on this board, fine. That's what it's here for. But you don't need to attack someone who has a differing opinion to the ninth degree like JMU fans so often do. If you are so good, keep on winning and show what you can do in the playoffs this year. Back up your talk on the field.

89Hen
November 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM
And why is citing series records dumb? ASU has just always had its way with JMU and has traditionally had a better program over the years. You might also like to know that Jerry Moore had a huge advantage coaching against Mickey Matthews teams. That means something.
You're wasting your breath MrC, Longhorn doesn't like history or trends. He's more of a snapshot guy.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2006, 10:41 AM
You're wasting your breath MrC, Longhorn doesn't like history or trends. He's more of a snapshot guy.

Yeah, so I guess the Texas/Oklahoma games is just another game every year. No history there:rolleyes:

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Mathews is Harbaugh with the scholarships but without the name :rolleyes: :splat:

bandl
November 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM
If you want to express opinions on this board, fine. That's what it's here for. But you don't need to attack someone who has a differing opinion to the ninth degree like JMU fans so often do.
Hey, don't lump all of us JMU fans into that assumption/accusation! :thumbsup:

Carry on. xcoffeex

asu7
November 6th, 2006, 10:56 AM
personally I believe Umass gets the 3 seed and therefore will be property of Montana football ... secondly I believe if JMU makes it back they will have to win two games to get back to Boone ... and my friends that is a lot of football

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Hey, don't lump all of us JMU fans into that assumption/accusation! :thumbsup:

Carry on. xcoffeex
Sorry, but a few bad apples always make it bad on the whole bunch. Didn't know you were a JMU fan, BTW.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I guess he missed that snapshot of ASU thumping JMU 21-10 in September.

JMU2004
November 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Sorry, but a few bad apples always make it bad on the whole bunch. Didn't know you were a JMU fan, BTW.

lol, every school has a few bad fans on here.

And Mr. C, while you may not have gone to ASU, you are certainly partial to ASU. That much is obvious to all who have read your posts over the years. No problem with it though :hurray:

jmuroller
November 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM
As good as JMU's offense might be, ASU has more weapons offensively at almost every position

By no means am I saying that ASU's offense is not as good as JMU's, but you might be able to say this to every team in 1-AA, but JMU is not one of them. Holloman is averaging almost 120 a game and over 6 yds a carry with multiple 60+ yd TD runs. Our #2 and #3 runners are 5th year seniors with 2,000+ yds on their careers. Our OL averages over 300lb's and Corey Davis is an NFL draft pick next year. Our top 3 receivers all have at least 1 TD catch over 60yds this year also and are as fast and explosive as you can get in 1-AA. Since the 2nd game of the year no one has slowed our offense down the slightest bit. Every sunday people come on our boards and tell us "We'll Northeastern(or whoever we played) was a really bad team, you were suppose to blow them out." And then they turn around the next week and beat somebody.

ASU is good...really good as a matter of fact. I don't know if we will be able to beat them if we play them in the playoffs, but it will be a damn good game..better than week #2.

You might also like to know that Jerry Moore had a huge advantage coaching against Mickey Matthews teams. That means something.

Please explain this one to me?

jmuroller
November 6th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I have not read this entire thread and do not intend to...but I dont see what is wrong with what Matthews said. He was taking up for his best player. He wasn't talking negative about anyone else in the country and certainly not disrespecting another team or individual. I don't get all the uproar about one little comment.

89Hen
November 6th, 2006, 11:39 AM
No, that's history in his book. :p

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I have not read this entire thread and do not intend to...but I dont see what is wrong with what Matthews said. He was taking up for his best player. He wasn't talking negative about anyone else in the country and certainly not disrespecting another team or individual. I don't get all the uproar about one little comment.

He's the only coach that felt the need to vocalize his concern. All the players dropped from the Payton list are just as good as Rascati to their team, but Matthews thinks he needs to tell the press everything. Thats the only problem I have. If you are trying to show confidence in your player, fine, but its not necessary to do it through the media all the time. He is the TO of coaching. He loves it.

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM

I agree. There is nothing wrong with talking positive about his player. Think he could learn to keep his mouth shut the rest of the time:rotateh:

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 11:44 AM
:lmao:

No, that's history in his book. :p

HiHiYikas
November 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I have not read this entire thread and do not intend to...but I dont see what is wrong with what Matthews said.
You're wiser than I am...if you did read the thread, you'd find that the correlation between the thread title and the thread substance is a little south of 15 percent.

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 11:50 AM
You're wiser than I am...if you did read the thread, you'd find that the correlation between the thread title and the thread substance is a little south of 15 percent.

Not Really, when Mathews name is in the thread title it is anything goes, but he will say anything:nod:

jmuroller
November 6th, 2006, 11:53 AM
A favorite snapshot of mine...http://www.jmu.edu/photography/athletics/Football/team/NCAAd1aaChamps04/la17300Q04n069.jpg

Hey, this is what's great about 1-AA...you talk all you want right now because everything will be settled here in the next 2 months. I'm just happy JMU is getting in the playoffs. That right there is an accompishment in itself. Everything else will take of itself after that. Good luck to everyone that is in the playoff field..unless you play JMU of course:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Please explain this one to me?

Jerry Moore's teams have beaten Mickey Matthews teams (at Marshall and JMU) most of the time when they have coached against each other. Why was that so hard to understand?

bandl
November 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Jerry Moore's teams have beaten Mickey Matthews teams (at Marshall and JMU) most of the time when they have coached against each other. Why was that so hard to understand?

Perhaps he didn't know where Jerry Moore was before he went to ASU. :read:

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM
It kind of de-evolved as some of the JMU crowd took the argument that first Rascati and then JMU was being disrespected. They took offense to me saying I hadn't been impressed by him against ASU (though I also pointed out I had seen him numerous other times).

jmuroller
November 6th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I may be mistaken, but didn't Marshall win the Nat'l Championship and go to the finals almost every year when Matthews was there? Where was Moore and App then? I'm sure Marshall went to Finals almost every year in spite of Matthews?

Hey, I think JM is a great coach, but to say he has a coaching advantage is selling Matthews short IMO. He has been the National Coach of the Year 2 times in his time at JMU and has won a Nat'l Championship. Not many coaches can match that.

ngineer
November 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM
man i love that guy.

Must have run into a rabbi before the post game press conference....;)

HiHiYikas
November 6th, 2006, 01:02 PM
It kind of de-evolved as some of the JMU crowd took the argument that first Rascati and then JMU was being disrespected. They took offense to me saying I hadn't been impressed by him against ASU (though I also pointed out I had seen him numerous other times).
Hard to follow the tailspin...what is this, 14 pages?

Matthews is mad...Rascati is the best...JMU is the best...best players and best teams and why that doesn't neccesarily translate into playoff success - or does it? - and depth and NFL-worthiness and I hate you Mr. C. and how the 2004 Dukes were put together and ASU apparently beat some other JMU back in September and oh, by the way, Matthews is still mad, etc., etc., etc.

I think I'm on board.

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Hard to follow the tailspin...what is this, 14 pages?

Matthews is mad...Rascati is the best...JMU is the best...best players and best teams and why that doesn't neccesarily translate into playoff success - or does it? - and depth and NFL-worthiness and I hate you Mr. C. and how the 2004 Dukes were put together and ASU apparently beat some other JMU back in September and oh, by the way, Matthews is still mad, etc., etc., etc.

I think I'm on board.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

That is great! Can you do that for every thread over 10 pages? I guarantee you that for 90% it'll be good!!

(even though I'm a JMU fan, this is serious, not sarcasm. I too thought the thread got away a bit and this is great proof)

"and I hate you Mr. C" is the best.

Saint3333
November 6th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I may be mistaken, but didn't Marshall win the Nat'l Championship and go to the finals almost every year when Matthews was there? Where was Moore and App then? I'm sure Marshall went to Finals almost every year in spite of Matthews?

I'm not saying JM is the better coach, both are obviously pretty good.

As to where was ASU, check the record:

10/26/1996 10-24 L
10/21/1995 10-3 W
10/22/1994 24-14 W
10/23/1993 3-35 L
11/07/1992 37-34 W
08/31/1991 9-3 W
11/03/1990 0-50 L
11/04/1989 28-7 W

Jerry Moore vs. 1-AA Marshall 5-3. ASU is 14-8 all-time vs. the Herd.

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM
it is going to take an incredible team to beat them at home and keep them from returning to Chattanooga.

If you want to express opinions on this board, fine. That's what it's here for. But you don't need to attack someone who has a differing opinion to the ninth degree like JMU fans so often do. If you are so good, keep on winning and show what you can do in the playoffs this year. Back up your talk on the field.

Nobody, has "attacked" you...but if you consider a strong challenge to your opinions and someone dismissing your comments for their lack of objectivity as "attacking" then I'd see a dermatologist about your thin skin. Your responses show an obvious App St. bias...that's your right, as is mine in advancing a point of view you disagree with. As for your thought about it taking "an incredible team" to beat ASU at home I would agree. When the Dukes pull it off, either at the Rock, or in Nooga....remember your qoute above. :smiley_wi

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM
It's also funny how that JMU fans were ripping on your team after the near-loss to D-II Bloomsburg and now you are extolling the virtues of them. A little inconsistent?

I was the one extolling the virtues of Bloomsburg. I wasn't on this board in Sept. I was telling people in Aug to watch out for Bloomsburg. I live in PA and knew these guys are a DII powerhouse, the cream of the crop in the 14 team PA State Athletic Conference. Now 8-1 and 6th in DII poll. Offensive tackle drafted in the 4th round last yr. Tailback who was 3rd last yr in the Harlon Hill (DII version of Heisman/Payton) voting and will probably be drafted. He didn't even play against JMU. They aren't Lock Haven, a pereniall PSAC doormat who usually wins 1-2 games a yr (Now 2-8) who JMU had beaten the previous 3 years a combined 180 something to 3. I think alot of JMU fans just saw "DII" and thought it would be like Lock Haven from the previous 3 years. I was very surprised the JMU-Bloomsburg game was as close as it was, but I didn't expect a 40-50 point blowout, esp knowing some JMU players would inevitably be looking past Bloomsburg to the ASU game. but I wasn't like the sky is falling like some JMU fans were. As I've said in previous posts, Bloomsburg would be ALOT of IAA teams, just like ASU would beat half the IAs and Duke probably wouldn't finish .500 in the A-10. I wish JMU could have played Duke or some Sun Belt team instead of ASU. Then we'd probably be undefeated with a IA win but it wouldn't mean we were any better. This isn't directed at you Mr. C-as I've said before whether a team has IA,IAA or DII by their name doesn't mean squat when examing schedules. You have to look at each team

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 04:18 PM

C, I think you're a pretty objective guy. Now I'll admit I'm a bit of a homer, but I'll try to be an objective homer xlolx (I know, thats an oxymoron!). Earlier in this thread you said ASU beat JMU handily and now you say it was a thumping. I wasn't at the game, but did listen to much of it over the internet. JMU App state game was 21-3 at the half. Only scoring the 2nd half was the 4th quarter Rascati to LC baker 43 yd TD pass with 8:43. Thats not quite garbage time in my book, but close. JMU outgained ASU 337-236. By quarter JMU's yards were pretty even: 79, 86, 92, 75 (I know that adds up to 332, not 337, but that's what the drive stats show). ASU show 180 yards 1st half, 52 the 2nd) I don't know if that was due more to JMU's defense or ASU going way conservative. The biggest difference was 2 turnovers JMU, 0 ASU. I've read/heard about the no pass interference call on the ASU INT from JMU fans, MM, and Rascati, but I didn't see it. Regardless, it really hurt JMU- 1st quarter, ASU gets the ball on JMUs 38 and it led to an ASU TD. Then the fumble at the ASU 24 in the 2nd quarter. Would JMU have scored if they didn't fumble? Don't know. But instead of looking at a potential 14-10 at the half, it was 21-3, which against that ASU defense, was basically game, set, match.

http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stats/2/appstate.htm

In my book what constitutes "handling" or "thumping" a team is to win by 3TDs or more (2 TDs if the loser gets a TD or 2 in garbage time) and to significantly outgain them yardage wise, or if the losing team gets a lot of garbage time yards, at least it should be close yardage wise. Neither of those was the case. (JMU didn't get that much garbage time yards yet were still about 100 ahead). How does that constitute a "thumping?" Maybe you have a diff definition. Or maybe it was just a bit of sarcasm directed at some of the JMU fans who I'll admit have dispayed a little too much "homerism" and have gone a little overboard in their crticism of you're objectivity.

I'd like to add there's no doubt in my mind ASU has a little more talent than JMU and 2 months ago and RIGHT NOW is a little better team, but not alot (fellow JMU fans, right now you have to admit that).

BDKJMU
November 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM

I agree that coaches wouldn't be very qualified to vote for players OOC or that they haven't faced. But they are very familiar with players (film breakdown plus on the field) they have faced. I'd like to see the coaches at least be able to vote for someone they have played against (but not their own players). Every IAA has 8-11 fellow IAA opponents, most 9-10, so a super player could get up to 8-11 coaches votes to go along with the sportswriter's votes (don't know how many vote for the Buchanan & Payton).

jmuroller
November 6th, 2006, 08:00 PM

10/26/1996 10-24 L
10/21/1995 10-3 W
10/22/1994 24-14 W
10/23/1993 3-35 L
11/07/1992 37-34 W
08/31/1991 9-3 W
11/03/1990 0-50 L
11/04/1989 28-7 W

The statement was in that Jerry Moore coached teams have fared better against MM coached teams. I don't believe MM was there for all those years, but I can check.

I just don't see how Mr. C can come and say "Jerry Moore had a coaching advantage" like it is a fact. IMO, they are both very good coaches with proven track records. They could play each other 100 times and it would probably come out around 50/50.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
The statement was in that Jerry Moore coached teams have fared better against MM coached teams. I don't believe MM was there for all those years, but I can check.

I just don't see how Mr. C can come and say "Jerry Moore had a coaching advantage" like it is a fact. IMO, they are both very good coaches with proven track records. They could play each other 100 times and it would probably come out around 50/50.
Because IT IS A FACT that Moore has won most of the meetings with Matthews.

Moore wins: 2006, 1995, 1994, 1992, 1991
Matthews wins: 1993, 1990

Moore's record against Matthews: 5-2.

Any part of that you don't understand?

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 08:46 PM

10/26/1996 10-24 L
10/21/1995 10-3 W
10/22/1994 24-14 W
10/23/1993 3-35 L
11/07/1992 37-34 W
08/31/1991 9-3 W
11/03/1990 0-50 L
11/04/1989 28-7 W

Saint, FYI:

Mickey Matthews came to Marshall as the defensive coordinator/assistant head coach in 1990 and left for Georgia when he was snubbed for the Marshall head coaching job and Bob Pruett was hired in 1996.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 6th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Saint, FYI:

Mickey Matthews came to Marshall as the defensive coordinator/assistant head coach in 1990 and left for Georgia when he was snubbed for the Marshall head coaching job and Bob Pruett was hired in 1996.
.................all this crap means nothing..........

Only one team will be yapping at the end of the season.....The Champions!!!!!!!

XJMU84
November 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM

Are you sure you were at the game? It was far from a thumping.

Remember the ZERO points for ASU in the second half? The interference no call? Let's not forget the fumble that Lazotte caused on the receiver at the JMU 7 which rolled out of bounds before the other JMU defender could pounce on it (ASU scored just before the half after that play). That JMU outgained ASU by a substantial margin.

I will agree that Rascati (and the offense in general) did not look sharp that game.

I hope and pray they get a rematch!

And on Rascati being dropped from Payton watch list. Hopefully his great performance Saturday will get him back on. If not, that's OK because he's got one ring, looking for a second and winning is a team effort.

PS: Vote for Akeem Jordon for the Buchanon (If you get a vote on that one) :thumbsup:

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Are you sure you were at the game? It was far from a thumping.

Remember the ZERO points for ASU in the second half? The interference no call? Let's not forget the fumble that Lazotte caused on the receiver at the JMU 7 which rolled out of bounds before the other JMU defender could pounce on it (ASU scored just before the half after that play). That JMU outgained ASU by a substantial margin.

I will agree that Rascati (and the offense in general) did not look sharp that game.

I hope and pray they get a rematch!

And on Rascati being dropped from Payton watch list. Hopefully his great performance Saturday will get him back on. If not, that's OK because he's got one ring, looking for a second and winning is a team effort.

PS: Vote for Akeem Jordon for the Buchanon (If you get a vote on that one) :thumbsup:
ASU took control of the game and by the half, it was over at 21-3. In the second half, the Mountaineers just tried to get their freshman QB some work and attempted to run out the clock. They didn't hardly throw any passes. The total offense stats for that game are meaningless. The one touchdown that JMU had was in garbage time. No one in the press box that day thought that JMU had ANY chance to come back in the second half. Other than a few little swing passes to Holloman and that one bust on coverage late in the game, JMU offered little competition. You make it sound like the Dukes were lucky to lose.

bandl
November 7th, 2006, 06:56 AM
My god, who really gives a ***** about this Matthews/Moore pissing match anymore?? They are both good coaches. End or story. Let it go.

XJMU84
November 7th, 2006, 06:57 AM
ASU took control of the game and by the half, it was over at 21-3. In the second half, the Mountaineers just tried to get their freshman QB some work and attempted to run out the clock. They didn't hardly throw any passes. The total offense stats for that game are meaningless. The one touchdown that JMU had was in garbage time. No one in the press box that day thought that JMU had ANY chance to come back in the second half. Other than a few little swing passes to Holloman and that one bust on coverage late in the game, JMU offered little competition. You make it sound like the Dukes were lucky to lose.

You make it sound like ASU dominated the game, I disagree. A loss by a touchdown, 2 pt conversion and field goal (11 points) is not a thumping. JMU did not score their touchdown during "garbage time" as you state. ASU was still playing their starters. Garbage time is when the 2nd stringers are in and/or a "prevent" defense is being implemented. Did you not see the JMU receiver get creamed by the ASU defender prior to his teammates interception? ASU scored after that gift from the officials. And JMU had two other penetrations inside the ASU 25 with zero points (some credit to the ASU defense on the fumble, some discredit to the JMU kicker for the FG miss). Being up 21-3 at halftime is not a sure win so you can't tell me that ASU wasn't trying to score any more points.

Like I said before, I hope that there is a rematch. :smiley_wi

SoCon48
November 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM
You make it sound like ASU dominated the game, I disagree. A loss by a touchdown, 2 pt conversion and field goal (11 points) is not a thumping. JMU did not score their touchdown during "garbage time" as you state. ASU was still playing their starters. Garbage time is when the 2nd stringers are in and/or a "prevent" defense is being implemented. Did you not see the JMU receiver get creamed by the ASU defender prior to his teammates interception? ASU scored after that gift from the officials. And JMU had two other penetrations inside the ASU 25 with zero points (some credit to the ASU defense on the fumble, some discredit to the JMU kicker for the FG miss). Being up 21-3 at halftime is not a sure win so you can't tell me that ASU wasn't trying to score any more points.

Like I said before, I hope that there is a rematch. :smiley_wi

A rematch would be heavenly. Our little true freshman who subbed for Elder at QB beginning with 47 sec left in the 3rd quarter has come along ways since then. A long way!! As Mr C stated, Edwards was just in for playing time for the JMU game but since has earned the starting position and has shown what he can do and could have done had Jerry turned him loose vs the Dukes.

Gift from the officials? Nope didn't see an illegal hit on your receiver but did notice quite a bit of crap the JMU guys got away with.
App did play very conservatively in the second half much to the consternation of the ASU fans the week following.
As to the second string. Much of the 2nd string defense was in duriing JMU's short scoring drive.

ChickenMan
November 8th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Winning the 1st game during the regular season is hardly a guarantee that the result will be similar in a playoff rematch. I can recall two separate UD/W&M playoff rematches where the winner in the first game was the loser in the second.

'04...
1st - UD 31 W&M 28
2d - W&M 44 UD 38 (OT)

'86...
1st - W&M 24 UD 18
2d - UD 51 W&M 17

I wouldn't put too much stock in ASU's early season win... I'm sure both teams are quite a bit different now than they were then.

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Winning the 1st game during the regular season is hardly a guarantee that the result will be similar in a playoff rematch. I can recall two separate UD/W&M playoff rematches where the winner in the first game was the loser in the second.

'04...
1st - UD 31 W&M 28
2d - W&M 44 UD 38 (OT)

'86...
1st - W&M 24 UD 18
2d - UD 51 W&M 17

I wouldn't put too much stock in ASU's early season win... I'm sure both teams are quite a bit different now than they were then.

also remember JMU's regular season matchup with W&M in 2004. JMU lost the regular season matchup, but won in the National Semis (which mattered much more than a regular season game). They also beat W&M on their home turf. A feat that CAN be done in Boone...if necessary.

KiddBrewer
November 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM
those games werent played in boone. dont disregard the location. as for asu fans, its getting to that time when we need to, in the words of teddy roosevelt, walk quietly and carry a big stick.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM
A rematch would be heavenly. Our little true freshman who subbed for Elder at QB beginning with 47 sec left in the 3rd quarter has come along ways since then. A long way!! As Mr C stated, Edwards was just in for playing time for the JMU game but since has earned the starting position and has shown what he can do and could have done had Jerry turned him loose vs the Dukes.

Gift from the officials? Nope didn't see an illegal hit on your receiver but did notice quite a bit of crap the JMU guys got away with.
App did play very conservatively in the second half much to the consternation of the ASU fans the week following.
As to the second string. Much of the 2nd string defense was in duriing JMU's short scoring drive.

You want to see it? I have the highlight reel that shows it on my computer! Quite a big hold to be "missed" by anyone. Rascati threw the ball right where he would have been.

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM
those games werent played in boone. dont disregard the location. as for asu fans, its getting to that time when we need to, in the words of teddy roosevelt, walk quietly and carry a big stick.

it's ok. jmu is fine with playing playoff games on the road. first team to win 3 road games and win the national title.

KiddBrewer
November 8th, 2006, 03:07 PM
it's ok. jmu is fine with playing playoff games on the road. first team to win 3 road games and win the national title.

ohhh boy, i hope it works out, cause this could set up for a rematch for the ages. either way, both teams are much better now and it will def. be fun as hell, and ill be equally as drunk!

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 03:20 PM
ohhh boy, i hope it works out, cause this could set up for a rematch for the ages. either way, both teams are much better now and it will def. be fun as hell, and ill be equally as drunk!

as will i. it will be quite exciting indeed.

psc2445
November 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM
as will i. it will be quite exciting indeed.

brown liquor season in full effect in December.

btw.....i just realized my 100th post on here was about brown liquor. Can you beat it?

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 04:53 PM
brown liquor season in full effect in December.

btw.....i just realized my 100th post on here was about brown liquor. Can you beat it?

well if that's not a cause for celebration i don't know what is. not sure if i'll be partaking in any brown liquor though...i think i'll stick with a nice lager.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 05:51 PM

Please put us in opposite brackets, (or UMass and us) I want to see a rematch of JMU vs App or a matchup of JMU vs UMass in the finals.

Tubby Raymond
November 8th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Please put us in opposite brackets, (or UMass and us) I want to see a rematch of JMU vs App or a matchup of JMU vs UMass in the finals.

UMASS beats you and if App St. is in your bracket, JMU don't make it:mad:

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM
i agree - i'd like to see a rematch of JMU and App St. mainly because I missed the regular season game - and I would most definitely make the trip to Boone for a playoff game!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 07:30 PM
UMASS beats you and if App St. is in your bracket, JMU don't make it:mad:

Woah geesh... thats a lotta hate right there! As its always said its tough to beat a team twice in a season. And call me a homer, but we won't loose if we make it to the finals... the journey there is tougher than the game itself.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2006, 10:32 PM
You want to see it? I have the highlight reel that shows it on my computer! Quite a big hold to be "missed" by anyone. Rascati threw the ball right where he would have been.

Sure pop it up on here.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Give me a minute and I'll put it on Youtube

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 8th, 2006, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd3jzDGtOs0

The play in question is at 1:10 into the clip.

I'm not sayin JMU woulda won cause we did get beat... but man, you gotta flag that!! SoCon refs are terrible!

Look for more clips in the future... I have 2 years worth of highlight reels I'll probably put up on Youtube sometime here soon.

BDKJMU
November 8th, 2006, 11:38 PM
That is SO OBVIOUS. I can't believe the refs missed that. Either they were on the side of App State (no, I don't believe that) or was a case of gross incompetence. ASU got the ball on JMU's 38 and went on to score a TD.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 8th, 2006, 11:50 PM
The past is the past. Let it rest boys! :nod:

With any luck we'll get another chance, and just like W&M in 2004, they'll see what JMU revenge is all about... :cool:

Tribe4SF
November 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM
With or without the contact, that ball is picked. Justin just overthrew that one.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 9th, 2006, 07:35 AM
With or without the contact, that ball is picked. Justin just overthrew that one.

The reciever was held back two steps... that was a perfect lead with two more full steps.

Its all moot anyway, we lost the game.

SirApp
November 9th, 2006, 07:43 AM
that vid made JMU look so stout

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 9th, 2006, 07:44 AM
that vid made JMU look so stout

Of course!!! It was put together for the jmu sports website where everything is fair and balanced :D

psc2445
November 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Of course!!! It was put together for the jmu sports website where everything is fair and balanced :D

it looks like we got our ass kicked. nice edit work. bring some of that jmu revenge on up the hill. i hope both make it that far to play again.