PDA

View Full Version : Are any playoff games played on Sunday?

Old Cage
November 5th, 2006, 04:58 PM
There is a thread going on our UMass board that no one seems to have a good answer for.

Should we make it to December 2nd with home field, we have a conflict. We are playing Boston College in hoops at 2PM in a nationally televised game.

Suggestions include football at 11, bringing in lights for a 5 or 6PM start, and a Sunday game.

Consensus believes that the hoops game will not be changed because of the tv contract.

Thoughts?

dungeonjoe
November 5th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I think the football game is moved and played at Colgate in 2 foot deep snow drifts:smiley_wi xlolx

cosmo here
November 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM
There is a thread going on our UMass board that no one seems to have a good answer for.

Should we make it to December 2nd with home field, we have a conflict. We are playing Boston College in hoops at 2PM in a nationally televised game.

Suggestions include football at 11, bringing in lights for a 5 or 6PM start, and a Sunday game.

Consensus believes that the hoops game will not be changed because of the tv contract.

Thoughts?

why can't the game still be played on Saturday at UMass ? they don't use the same venue . .

Old Cage
November 5th, 2006, 05:39 PM
cosmo - The game can certainly be played at the same time, but the school has tried hard to not do that to our loyal fans. The Mullins Center holds about 9,000 and the tickets have already been sold. The Boston College game is a big deal each year that is played for a specific trophy.

We can seat about 18,000 for football - the last two home games had 16,000 and 15,000.

As an example, next weekend we have Maine at home in football at noon and the hoops opener is at five so that folks who make the drive to The Valley can easily attend both.

It would be hard to ask the fans to choose.

cosmo here
November 5th, 2006, 05:43 PM
cosmo - The game can certainly be played at the same time, but the school has tried hard to not do that to our loyal fans. The Mullins Center holds about 9,000 and the tickets have already been sold. The Boston College game is a big deal each year that is played for a specific trophy.

We can seat about 18,000 for football - the last two home games had 16,000 and 15,000.

As an example, next weekend we have Maine at home in football at noon and the hoops opener is at five so that folks who make the drive to The Valley can easily attend both.

It would be hard to ask the fans to choose.

then I would think either before or after the basketball . . playing the game on Sunday really disadvantages the team that advances - they'll play against a team that played on Saturday and has an extra day off to rest and prepare.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Playing on Sunday would be a terrible decision for two reasons IMO. One for what cosmo said (not my main reason).

My main reason why it would be bad is that the Patriots are playing at 1 that Sunday. Students who will actually go to UMass football games are probably football fans and chances are they are Patriot fans. If the UMass game conflicts with the Patriots, I can't imagine a big crowd. I'd guess this would also effect the general public who might come too. I just can't imagine a large Sunday crowd for a game happening while the Patriots are playing (at least they are playing the Lions and not a top team).

Right now it doesn't matter though. There is still two weeks to be played this regular season and a week of playoffs before it MIGHT be an issue.

GOTOREROS
November 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Thoughts?

How come you guys don't have lights? Just wondering, not trying to flame. Even USD has lights, and we are small time.....does it have to do with the surrounding community? By the way I hate night games....college football is supposed to be played in the afternoon on Saturday's.....

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM
How come you guys don't have lights? Just wondering, not trying to flame. Even USD has lights, and we are small time.....does it have to do with the surrounding community? By the way I hate night games....college football is supposed to be played in the afternoon on Saturday's.....

Don't know the reason why we don't (money would be my best guess)...but they plan on adding them for next year. Added field turf this year and they are still raising funds for lights.

grizband
November 5th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Washington-Grizzly doesn't have lights, and in 2004 when we played a night game on ESPN 2, we had to contract out for lights brought to the stadium.

GOTOREROS
November 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Washington-Grizzly doesn't have lights, and in 2004 when we played a night game on ESPN 2, we had to contract out for lights brought to the stadium.

LOL! So San Diego has lights, but no scholarships....now that is pretty funny and sad at the same time....

DaGriz
November 5th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Can you change your avatar grizband, I keep losing my train of thought.:eek:

Cal doesn't have lights and played Saturday and homecoming night games. They did the same thing we did, they contracted that company to bring in lights.

DaGriz
November 5th, 2006, 06:24 PM
How come you guys don't have lights? Just wondering, not trying to flame. Even USD has lights, and we are small time.....

When is the last time it snowed in San Diego? In states with snow, a lot of fans probably wouldn't go to a night game when it's that cold so there is no reason to have lights for 6 home games, 3 or 4 of which are in the winter.

GOTOREROS
November 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
When is the last time it snowed in San Diego? In states with snow, a lot of fans probably wouldn't go to a night game when it's that cold so there is no reason to have lights for 6 home games, 3 or 4 of which are in the winter.

Hey, it can dip into the high 50's in late November.....:D Wearing shorts can get dicey!

Maverick
November 5th, 2006, 06:38 PM
New England, December, Night. In the past at UMass only a few night games were played and they were in early September. McGuirk has never had lights since it was built in the 60's (?). This year the attendance has picked up but still college football at night at UMass at this time of the year will be uncharted territory. With the hoop game at 2 pm it was either 11 am or 6 (maybe 7 pm) on Saturday with a $60K price tag to be added to the event. Tough call to make. Don't forget that students have to buy tickets they can't get in with the student ID. Even your season ticket holders will have to pony up as this is not part of the season ticket package. It will interesting to see what happens.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Don't forget that students have to buy tickets they can't get in with the student ID. Even your season ticket holders will have to pony up as this is not part of the season ticket package. It will interesting to see what happens.

I really can't imagine too many season ticket holders not paying for tickets to a playoff game.

I know this is too completely different things, but for last years NCAA softball tourney in Amherst (UMass won that regional), the university payed for the cost of student tickets and allowed them to go for free. Football is a completely different story, but just throwing it out there.

EDIT: Actually I don't know exactly what the university did last year. I do know students were supposed to pay, but those with a UMass ID got in for free.

Keeper
November 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Are there facilities nearby with lights available for night game?
Thinking BC or Patriots stadiums for a reasonable fee?

Is the B-ball game @ Amherst or Chestnut?

Won't need MIT grad to figure it out. I would definitely do
playoff football over an early-season hoop.

Otherwise, a morning kickoff may have to do.

Maverick
November 5th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Actually the NCAA softball tourney and NCAA football playoffs are similar with one major exception, the amount of the mininum guarantee that UMass has to assure the NCAA it will pay. Ticket costs and attendance at the NCAA softball tournament for 3 days is nothing compared to a football game. When UMass put in its bid I am sure that a certain amount of tickets for students (so that they could attend by using the student IDs was factored in but that doesn't mean students were free, it just means they didn't have to pay. UMass or the athletic department covered the cost of their attendance. The NCAA requires very specific and detailed accounting of attendance which is why some teams attendance figures go down in the playoffs in football. The NCAA requires an actual drop count of stubs since in essence everyone is required to have a ticket unless they are on the teams, staffs, media, or event staff.

Maverick
November 5th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Both games are in Amherst. Hoops vs BC at 2 pm on TV.

Keeper
November 5th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Both games are in Amherst. Hoops vs BC at 2 pm on TV.

Thanks Maverick.
If you piggyback a football playoff on campus before
the hoops game, there could be some free & valuable
exposure on the hoops telecast. Think about it.

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 07:30 PM
In 1995, Appalachian State had a nationally televised basketball game with Georgia Tech scheduled for the same day as its quarterfinal round football playoff game with Stephen F. Austin. ASU was 12-0 and ranked No. 2 nationally. The basketball game was Bobby Cremins' first appearance back in Boone as a coach since he left ASU for Georgia Tech, with a team that featured freshman Stephane Marbury and Matt Harpering among others. The basketball start time was moved to 11 a.m. and the football was moved back to a 2:30 p.m. or 3 p.m. start time. About 7,000 people attended the basketball game and the announced figure for the football game was 8,941.

Last year, the ASU graduation ceremony was scheduled to conflict with the ASU-Furman semfinal game. ESPN controlled the start time for that game and graduation was moved to later in the evening to accomodate the football game.

To answer some questions it would be extremely doubtful that the NCAA would allow a Sunday game for the playoffs. There have been two semifinals played on Fridays for television and, of course, the championship game has been on Fridays since 2000. There was also a first-round game scheduled for ESPN on a Thursday in 1994, featuring defending champion Youngstown State and Steve McNair's Alcorn State club. Television would be the driving force for a change in day, not a basketball game. As a matter of fact, ESPN has dibs on which game or games it wants to televise in the first round. UMass might have choice about when the game was played, or what time.

Retro
November 5th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I guarantee you, if San Diego makes the playoffs, their going to Montana!xlolx

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fi-aa.org%2Fimages%2Farticles%2F51339_snow_stadium_72 dpi.jpg&moduleId=svc_image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Actually the NCAA softball tourney and NCAA football playoffs are similar with one major exception, the amount of the mininum guarantee that UMass has to assure the NCAA it will pay. Ticket costs and attendance at the NCAA softball tournament for 3 days is nothing compared to a football game. When UMass put in its bid I am sure that a certain amount of tickets for students (so that they could attend by using the student IDs was factored in but that doesn't mean students were free, it just means they didn't have to pay. UMass or the athletic department covered the cost of their attendance. The NCAA requires very specific and detailed accounting of attendance which is why some teams attendance figures go down in the playoffs in football. The NCAA requires an actual drop count of stubs since in essence everyone is required to have a ticket unless they are on the teams, staffs, media, or event staff.

I know students weren't free, they just didn't have to pay. Which is why I said the university payed for them.

The reason I said football and softball are different is the number of tickets. The number of students attending softball games and the number attending a football game are vastly different. I wouldn't expect the university to pay for student tickets for football because it's so many more.

Maverick
November 5th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Retro,
Where did you get that picture of spring football in Montana? Besides it will be cold enough for the Toreros in the Gridiron Classic!!xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Keeper
November 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM
What network has the hoops game?
It would certainly be easier to delay the basketball two hours
and the gym already has lights, right?

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM
What network has the hoops game?
It would certainly be easier to delay the basketball a few hours
and the gym already has lights, right?

CSTV.

Did you just ask if our gym has lights? :eek:

Keeper
November 5th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Of course your arena already has the lights, therefore
easier to move the tipoff time for that, rather than
bring in lights for the football, see?

CSTV should be willing to discuss time change.
It's done all the time for all sports with little notice.

BTW.......my prediction for the NCAA final is
UMass over AppSt,

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Of course your arena already has the lights, therefore
easier to move the tipoff time for that, rather than
bring in lights for the football, see?

I was hoping something like that would be the reason for asking...but come on, how many gyms have you seen without lights? :D

CSTV should be willing to discuss time change.
It's done all the time for all sports with little notice.

BTW.......my prediction for the NCAA final is
UMass over AppSt,

This talk is still premature. Playoffs haven't started so it's not an issue.

GOTOREROS
November 5th, 2006, 08:14 PM

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fi-aa.org%2Fimages%2Farticles%2F51339_snow_stadium_72 dpi.jpg&moduleId=svc_image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image Details

What's all that white stuff on the field and in the stands?

November 5th, 2006, 08:26 PM
What's all that white stuff on the field and in the stands?It's what Delaware Stadium looked like prior to a 2003 playoff game. SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

McNeese75
November 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Wrong Newbie, Football is for Saturday nights :nod:

griz37
November 5th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Is that Bobcat stadium in Bozeman? It also looks empty like that after Thanksgiving :)

GOTOREROS
November 5th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Wrong Newbie, Football is for Saturday nights :nod:

Well, we do play our games under the lights on Saturday night's at USD. However, going back to my undergrad days at USC I prefer day games. Nothing like 90,000 people and tailgating in the parking lot, which is why I like day games better. But, I guess that is a "newbie" perspective....not someone at a vaunted football powerhouse like your school. :rolleyes:

And USD, which is my grad school, they play primarily night games because they draw better. In the end some people like day games, some like night games, but lay off with the "jackass" comments because I wouldn't know where to stop with your "school"....:nono:

November 5th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I don't think the NCAA allows Sunday football games due to religious reasons.

cosmo here
November 5th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I don't think the NCAA allows Sunday football games due to religious reasons.

there is a Sunday NCAA football game on right now

November 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
there is a Sunday NCAA football game on right nowThere are no playoff games on today! Those are NCAA games, regular season the schools decide.

cosmo here
November 5th, 2006, 09:14 PM
There are no I-AA games today! :D

it's still NCAA football . . or is I-A exempt from this religous rule

November 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Is that Bobcat stadium in Bozeman? It also looks empty like that after Thanksgiving :)
It is Delaware Stadium before the 2003 playoffs.
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=51339

November 5th, 2006, 09:21 PM
it's still NCAA football . . or is I-A exempt from this religous ruleNo, playoffs are NCAA run events. "Are any playoff games played on Sunday?" is the thread title.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 09:24 PM
No, playoffs are NCAA run events. "Are any playoff games played on Sunday?" is the thread title.

You said "I don't think the NCAA allows Sunday football games due to religious reasons".

No mention of playoffs. You're wrong, it's okay to admit it.

cosmo here
November 5th, 2006, 09:25 PM
No, playoffs are NCAA run events. "Are any playoff games played on Sunday?" is the thread title.

I know what the thread title is :)

I don't want to get into a whole semantics thing, but you didn't specify playoffs when you made your statement so I was simply pointing out that there is a game today.

[I don't think the NCAA allows Sunday football games due to religious reasons]

sorry for the confusion.

Retro
November 5th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Well, we do play our games under the lights on Saturday night's at USD. However, going back to my undergrad days at USC I prefer day games. Nothing like 90,000 people and tailgating in the parking lot, which is why I like day games better. But, I guess that is a "newbie" perspective....not someone at a vaunted football powerhouse like your school. :rolleyes:
And USD, which is my grad school, they play primarily night games because they draw better. In the end some people like day games, some like night games, but lay off with the "jackass" comments because I wouldn't know where to stop with your "school"....:nono:

It's easy to tell how new you are to I-AA football in that you don't even know that Mcneese is in fact one the traditional powerhouses of I-AA football. In fact, we have one of the best tailgating scenes in football, any division that starts friday afternoon, then come saturday night it's all about the game. Get a clue before you roll your eyes on this board!:nono:

GOTOREROS
November 5th, 2006, 11:34 PM
It's easy to tell how new you are to I-AA football in that you don't even know that Mcneese is in fact one the traditional powerhouses of I-AA football. In fact, we have one of the best tailgating scenes in football, any division that starts friday afternoon, then come saturday night it's all about the game. Get a clue before you roll your eyes on this board!:nono:

Really, I get a lecture about how night games are better, because you fans from McNeese like it that way? So what? Who died and made you fans God regarding game times, and how the game should be experienced?

Preferring day games to night games has NOTHING to do with being a "newbie". It is simply a personal preference and I don't need a McNeese fan to tell me my preference is wrong or that I am a "newbie" for my belief. What does enjoying day games have to do with being a "newbie" anyway. I guess Cub fans were "newbies" for all those years too huh? So yeah, I will roll my eyes......:rolleyes:

:nono:

November 6th, 2006, 12:03 AM
You said "I don't think the NCAA allows Sunday football games due to religious reasons".
No mention of playoffs. You're wrong, it's okay to admit it.Before you get in a twist to put me down consider that I meant it in the context of the thread. :cool: cosmo I changed my post like in one minute so you replied to the one before I added the reference for clarity. :)

November 6th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Really, I get a lecture...I think rolling eyes at "a vaunted football powerhouse like your school" is what he meant. We all know the Cowboys have a great winning tradition and one of the BEST tailgates in I-AA. Everyone who has been there or catches them on the road experiences it. They were in the champ game in 2002 fer crikeys sake! Even when they lost to WKU they finished top in the GPI (the only time I know of when a non-title team finished first). GEAUX COWBOYS!

Maroon&White
November 6th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Before you get in a twist to put me down consider that I meant it in the context of the thread.

Sure you did :rolleyes: xlolx

November 6th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Sure you did :rolleyes: xlolx:smiley_wi

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I think rolling eyes at "a vaunted football powerhouse like your school" is what he meant. We all know the Cowboys have a great winning tradition and one of the BEST tailgates in I-AA. Everyone who has been there or catches them on the road experiences it. They were in the champ game in 2002 fer crikeys sake! Even when they lost to WKU they finished top in the GPI (the only time I know of when a non-title team finished first). GEAUX COWBOYS!

I guess my point is "McNeese" does not have the "corner" on football knowledge, history, or game day experience. My point is that for someone to lecture me about my football preferences from McNeese is ridiculous. Is the McNeese game day experience any better than JMU or UMASS, or YSU? It is in the eye of the beholder and I guess I resent the implication that some here think they "know" more than others....thus my "reaction" to being called a "newbie" for having a different opinion. :bang:

Maroon&White
November 6th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Is the McNeese game day experience any better than JMU or UMASS, or YSU?

I don't even have to go to McNeese to know :nod: :nod: :nod:

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I don't even have to go to McNeese to know :nod: :nod: :nod:

OK, maybe UMASS was a bad example.....:smiley_wi

November 6th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I guess my point is "McNeese" does not have the "corner" on football knowledge, history, or game day experience. My point is that for someone to lecture me about my football preferences from McNeese is ridiculous. Is the McNeese game day experience any better than JMU or UMASS, or YSU?... Yes, yes and pretty much. MACNEESE as it is pronounced has history and gameday experience that no I-AA fan makes fun of. It is real and should be celebrated, hopefully emulated too.

Schools With the Top Fans of I-AA
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=71678

http://www.i-aa.org/stats/writers/burton/Rowdy.jpg
6. McNeese State
Conference: Southland
City: Lake Charles, LA

Mascot: "Rowdy" the cowboy, named after Clint Eastwood's character on the "Rawhide" television show, comes way before a pro football team in a little town called Dallas decided to come up with a sad imitation of McNeese's mascot. Rowdy is one cool cowboy (and that's just not from the ice pack in the suit either). Though, it has to be said: Rowdy and Woody from Toy Story - separated at birth?

Rival: Even though the Cowboys end their season yearly against Nicholls St. (and generally beat the tar out of them), McNeese's greatest goal year in and year out is to bring the RVs up Route 49 and beat the Demons of Northwestern State. More often than not a Southland championship hangs in the balance as well.

Resembles: Emeril Lagasse fans, c. 2003

Typical Fan: Like Emeril in some of his cooking specials, McNeese State fans have made tailgating into an art form. If you show up at Lake Charles two hours before a game, and hit just a few of the many RV's and tents that are set up, you can easily get a sampling of incredible food - even if your cholesterol count could well end up in the 250 range. More than any other fans in I-AA, Cowboy fans know how to throw a pregame and postgame party. (I hear it's also the best press box food in all of I-AA as well.) For McNeese fans, it's not all about the food - it's also about great gameday traditions and spurring their Cowboys to victory, whether McNeese is in the I-AA playoff hunt or just wanting to have Rowdy beat up on Northwestern's ugly mascot. McNeese fans are great followers of I-AA gameday traditions, and cooking traditions as well.

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Yes, yes and pretty much. MACNEESE as it is pronounced has history and gameday experience that no I-AA fan makes fun of. It is real and should be celebrated, hopefully emulated too.

Schools With the Top Fans of I-AA
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=71678

http://www.i-aa.org/stats/writers/burton/Rowdy.jpg

Again my point is if you want me to respect you, then don't call me a "newbie" and expect a nice response. I was simply talking about "lights" and "day games", to which I was called a "newbie" for that personal preference. Personally, I grew up with USC football as a kid, then a student, and now an alum. I, along with most USC fans enjoy the day games verus the night games - simple preference. I don't even want to go on a diatribe of what USC football is about since this isn't the proper forum but as you know it is STORIED. So to have someone from McNeese lecture me about tradition and game day experiences IS a bit much. If McNeese fans like night games, GREAT it's a free world! But don't lecture me on YOUR personal preferences.

With respect to I-AA, USD has little gameday atmosphere compared to most larger I-AA schools. Such is the life of a Trojan and Torero fan....

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Having been to Montana, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Northwestern State and some of the other great I-AA venues around the country, and having seen fans from several more major schools at the NCAA championship games, I can tell you that McNeese State — home and away — has an experience and tradition as good as anyone's in I-AA. Like Ralph said, anyone who has experienced it, knows it to be true. Where else can you go to tailgate and have someone offer you a sample of alligator they just grilled up?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

November 6th, 2006, 01:05 AM
... I don't even want to go on a diatribe of what USC football is about since this isn't the proper forum but as you know it is STORIED.....I heard of it on the OJ Simpson trial TV. There is no reason to make fun of the great McNeese State winning tradition or gameday experience though, IT IS STORIED but not GORY. :nod:

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Having been to Montana, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Northwestern State and some of the other great I-AA venues around the country, and having seen fans from several more major schools at the NCAA championship games, I can tell you that McNeese State — home and away — has an experience and tradition as good as anyone's in I-AA. Like Ralph said, anyone who has experienced it, knows it to be true. Where else can you go to tailgate and have someone offer you a sample of alligator they just grilled up?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Point taken! My issue is probably more with the individual poster rather than McNeese. I hear alligator tastes like chicken.....:D

November 6th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Point taken! My issue is probably more with the individual poster rather than McNeese. I hear alligator tastes like chicken.....:Dyummy gator BBQ! :hurray: Check out buckp's offerings on the Lounge menu too! I have been to Retro's tailgate and he has a super one equipped with TVs, grills and the wonderful ambience that is Retro and family! He gave me a hat!!

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I heard of it on the OJ Simpson trial TV. There is no reason to make fun of the great McNeese State winning tradition or gameday experience. IT IS STORIED and not GORY.

If the glove does not fit...........you must acquit!

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Point taken! My issue is probably more with the individual poster rather than McNeese. I hear alligator tastes like chicken.....:D
Much, much better. Has a bit of a salty taste and a different, chewy texture to it.

Mr. C
November 6th, 2006, 01:17 AM
If the glove does not fit...........you must acquit!
Did somebody just raise Johnny Cochran from the dead?
:D xlolx :rotateh: :cool: :D

Sam Adams
November 6th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Where has the NCAA stated that it refuses to allow Sunday playoff games due to religious reasons? I don't find that statement in its rules and moreover for some religions Friday or Saturday is the day of worship. So why would the NCAA even want to get involved in using religion as the basis for not playing a football playoff game on a Sunday?

GOTOREROS
November 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Where has the NCAA stated that it refuses to allow Sunday playoff games due to religious reasons? I don't find that statement in its rules and moreover for some religions Friday or Saturday is the day of worship. So why would the NCAA even want to get involved in using religion as the basis for not playing a football playoff game on a Sunday?

I seem to remember a bunch of "stink" being made about BYU not scheduling games/matches on Sunday's due to its religous affiliation. I have no idea if this is still the case but I don't think they play ANY sports on Sunday's....I could be wrong. This also might be institutional rather than NCAA.

I know that baseball plays playoff games on Sunday's.....as USD participated in a few over the past couple years.....is this a "footabll only" rule?

Maroon&White
November 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
The UMass/BC basketball game has been moved to 7:30 PM

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110906aad.html

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTOREROS

Don't know the reason why we don't (money would be my best guess)...but they plan on adding them for next year. Added field turf this year and they are still raising funds for lights.

Lights aren't THAT expensive. Just about every public HS, at least in the states I've been in, have them, along with just about every DIA and IAA schlorship team. I would guess a majority DII and some DIII also W&M finally added them last year- I think JMU was their 1st night game with the new lights.

henfan
November 9th, 2006, 03:47 PM
UMass will play wherever and whenever the NCAA dictates. The dates are pre-determined by the NCAA, as they are by the ESPN TV contract. In any case, Sunday games are absolutely out.

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Here is from the NCAA website:
http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/schedules

Here were the game times for the playoffs for the 05' season:
http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/brackets/straight16_dyn/2005/s16dyn_DIaa

I remeber in 04' the JMU @ W&M semi final was 8 PM fri night and the Montana semi final was Sat afternoon.

As you can see here, the Fri night national semi final game has been set by ESPN2 for 7:30 EST, and the Sat semi final game I don't see a time for.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide