PDA

View Full Version : SDSU @ Ill St

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2014, 01:10 PM
Should be one of the best games of the week if not the best, two ranked teams facing off against their first real test of the season. It will be ISU-red's homecoming. Do ZZ and the Jacks prevail on the road or do the air it out Birds sail past SDSU?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2014, 06:49 PM
Good test for both teams. Will ISU stack the box?? Should be close and it wouldn't surprise me if the Redbirds won.

skinny_uncle
October 1st, 2014, 09:20 PM
I think this will be one of many close games in the Valley this year. I'll guess the Bunnies by 3.

FargoBison
October 1st, 2014, 09:41 PM
With NDSU and UNI on the road this is a massive game for the Rabbits.

RowdyRabbit
October 1st, 2014, 10:14 PM
Hard to believe the last time these two teams played each other, it was Sumner's first start ever and Zenner was a RS Frosh splitting time with Kool.

It's going to be real interesting seeing how ISU handles Zenner. We've got basically nothing to go on. I think he'll get his. If they do stack the box, Weineke and Schneider should fair well.

I'm most nervous about ISU's QB. Is he a runner? SDSU has traditionally struggled with running QB's. I'll take Jacks by 4. 27-23.

Twentysix
October 2nd, 2014, 11:01 AM
Does anyone have a list of the games available via free streams this week for the MVFC?

Saturday is going to be awesome if I can find streams.

Sycamore51
October 2nd, 2014, 11:08 AM
I'm going SDSU by 17 (27-10)
I don't think IllSt has played anybody at all this year, EIU is nothing like last year, and I honestly set the 17 point spread conservatively, I would not be surprised if it gets uglier than that.

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2014, 11:14 AM
It's always seemed to me that teams like YSU and Ill St that are more on the finesse end of the MVFC SDSU tends to handle pretty well. I feel pretty good about this week, just makes me nervous to see us ranked so high so early.

UNIFanSince1983
October 2nd, 2014, 11:23 AM
I like the Redbirds in this one. I really have no reason why I feel this way it is just my gut feeling. Should be a good one. I'm thinking 31-28.

KUlawJack
October 2nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
It's always seemed to me that teams like YSU and Ill St that are more on the finesse end of the MVFC SDSU tends to handle pretty well. I feel pretty good about this week, just makes me nervous to see us ranked so high so early.

Agreed on the second part. Since we haven't played ISU-R in some time, I won't compare them to YSU, who is clearly soft, or at least has been for a number of years we've played them.

We should be concerned about Roberson's ability to hurt us with his feet. That is always a problem for us. I'm less concerned with stopping the run game in other situations.

Our safeties are going to be tested as ISU-R seems to like to go deep. Hopefully they are up to the challenge.

KUlawJack
October 2nd, 2014, 11:27 AM
I like the Redbirds in this one. I really have no reason why I feel this way it is just my gut feeling. Should be a good one. I'm thinking 31-28.

I'd be surprised if we give up that many points, honestly. I really don't know if our offense can put up enough either, but I like the way they've performed so far against much better competition than ISU-R has faced (excluding the abomination that is Osh-Kosh).

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2014, 11:42 AM
Agreed on the second part. Since we haven't played ISU-R in some time, I won't compare them to YSU, who is clearly soft, or at least has been for a number of years we've played them.

We should be concerned about Roberson's ability to hurt us with his feet. That is always a problem for us. I'm less concerned with stopping the run game in other situations.

Our safeties are going to be tested as ISU-R seems to like to go deep. Hopefully they are up to the challenge.

I just have a hard time shaking the image of the snow game at CAS where they clearly threw in the towel because of cold. I had never seen a team do that before.

birdsflyhigh
October 2nd, 2014, 11:49 AM
I'll give SDSU a big plus for playing Missouri, but let's not kid anyone after that...Wisconsin Osh-Kosh and then Cal Poly and Southern Utah who together are combined 2-7 and have been outscored 303 to 191. Hanging your hat on a couple wins over lower division Big Sky teams?

Admittedly the Redbirds schedule is questionable so far, but they are #2 in the nation in points scored (barely behind EWU) and LEAD the nation in fewest points allowed at 7 points a game.

Pretty sure ISU knows how HUGE this game is going to be, and in no way, shape or form are they going to want to lose at home and start in a MVFC hole that will be hard to climb out of the rest of the season. It's homecoming and the stands will packed with fans that will be ready to see the Redbirds take down the Jacks. ISU will be going all out to make sure they get that 1-0 start to the Valley season.

GO BIRDS :)

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'll give SDSU a big plus for playing Missouri, but let's not kid anyone after that...Wisconsin Osh-Kosh and then Cal Poly and Southern Utah who together are combined 2-7 and have been outscored 303 to 191. Hanging your hat on a couple wins over lower division Big Sky teams?

Admittedly the Redbirds schedule is questionable so far, but they are #2 in the nation in points scored (barely behind EWU) and LEAD the nation in fewest points allowed at 7 points a game.

Pretty sure ISU knows how HUGE this game is going to be, and in no way, shape or form are they going to want to lose at home and start in a MVFC hole that will be hard to climb out of the rest of the season. It's homecoming and the stands will packed with fans that will be ready to see the Redbirds take down the Jacks. ISU will be going all out to make sure they get that 1-0 start to the Valley season.

I should hope you are up there in points scored per game with that schedule. SUU and Cal Poly might not be world beaters, but they are better than anybody the birds have played to date. And if we only allowed 38 points to Mizz I think our defense will be more than up to the task. Should be a good game especially with it being your Homecoming, but I think the Jacks wear out the Birds by the third quarter and pull away towards the end, but the closer to game day we get the less rational I become, so there is that to account for as well. xdrunkyx

birdsflyhigh
October 2nd, 2014, 12:23 PM
I know EIU has had a tough start to their season at 1-4 but they have played 2 FBS teams and the other 2 games were against the Redbirds and SIU. So if you think either Cal-Poly or SUU are better than EIU then I don't know what world you're living in. Go check out the Massey composite scores and compare where EIU is ranked with where either Cal-Poly or SUU are ranked.

Have the utmost respect for the SDSU program. It'll be real interesting on Saturday....GO BIRDS!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 2nd, 2014, 12:26 PM
I think the Redbirds squeek this one out: 28-24

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
I know EIU has had a tough start to their season at 1-4 but they have played 2 FBS teams and the other 2 games were against the Redbirds and SIU. So if you think either Cal-Poly or SUU are better than EIU then I don't know what world you're living in. Go check out the Massey composite scores and compare where EIU is ranked with where either Cal-Poly or SUU are ranked.

Have the utmost respect for the SDSU program. It'll be real interesting on Saturday....GO BIRDS!

The thing I worry about is getting down by a couple scores early and the coaching staff abandoning the running game like in the NDSU and EWU games.

REALBird
October 2nd, 2014, 01:21 PM
Haven't seen SDSU play this year, but here's what I have on the Redbirds. Tre Roberson is definitely a dual threat. I think unlike last year with the transfer from Iowa State where we tried to make the kid into a passing QB, we've learned to let our QB be an athlete this year. Against MVSU he had 7 carries for 41 yards, 2 TD's. He was also 10/15 passing for 2 TD's that game. Pretty vanilla playbook against a team we were expected to beat. But a 4 TD game by your QB is pretty impressive. He ran when he needed to, and threw when he had to, and had a pretty complete game against an inferior opponent.

Our Soph. RB Coprich rushed for 169 yards and 2 scores against MVSU. Receiving 7 guys caught a ball, four different guys caught TD passes. Five players over 50 yards receiving.

Against EIU, once again pretty vanilla gameplan Roberson 6/12 for 159 yards, 2 TD's passing. Carried 8 times on the ground 27 yards. Lecheen Neblett was on the receiving end of 4 of those targets, for 2 TD's and 155 receiving. On the year Neblett has catches of 61 yards, 39 yards, 24 yards, 26 yards, and 66 yards. He and Roberson seem to have a wonderful connection as he has scored TD's on 5 of his twelve catches on the year. Eclipsing 100 yards receiving in the last two games.

Coprich has gone over 100 yards in each game avg. 2 TD's a game. Had a 69 yard TD in the game making some nifty cut back moves. 2nd in the MVFC to Zenner I go believe.

But what's got me excited.....is the DEF. I'm very interested in seeing how the DEF plays against SDSU. They seem to be focused on taking them "one game at a time" and just getting better.

CORWIN,Teddy 20 Tackles, 2.5 TFL, 0.5 Sack, 1 INT, 1 QBH...Big guy 6'5", 260. Has an INT, and sure tackler.
McCOY,Dontae 19 Tackles, 1.0 TFL......good tackler, gets after the QB and so far playing run well.
MEEHAN,Pat 18 (RS-JR) Tackles, 4.0 TFL, 2.0 Sacks, 1 INT.....gets penetration in the line, Zenner will be a test this week.
DUNMORE,Oshay (Oregon transfer) 17 Tackles, 4.0 TFL, 1.0 Sack, 1 INT, 1 FR...my favorite. This guys motor runs fast. Can rush the QB from the outside LB spot, has lined up at end, can get down the line and stop the run, drop back in pass coverage. Damn, whatever led him to Central Illinois from Oregon, I'm certainly happy to have him land in our lap.
PERKINS,David (JR-Ohio State transfer) 15 Tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1.5 Sacks
KEOSHIAN,Collin (SR-BYU transfer) 13 Tackles, 2.0 TFL, 2.0 Sacks.....this guy was a RB last year who was 2nd on the team with 6 TD's. Has show very good instincts in his first year at DL.

Overall, glad to see more athletes on the team who can step up and get PT where we had a void. Should be a good game this week, predicting a close game. This one is decided by who can make the plays on special teams, and not turn the ball over IMHO.

KUlawJack
October 2nd, 2014, 02:36 PM

You really can't compare our schedule and yours can you? Austin Peay and Mississippi Valley State is like playing Osh-Kosh twice.

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
You really can't compare our schedule and yours can you? Austin Peay and Mississippi Valley State is like playing Osh-Kosh twice.

Oh he is.

mango433
October 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM

You do know the three teams you have played are a combined 2-12 right?

mango433
October 2nd, 2014, 03:24 PM
You do know the three teams you have played are a combined 2-12 right?

Further (I can't figure out how to edit a post), Mississippi Valley State is giving up over 48 points a game and it's one win is over University of Faith. Eastern Illinois is giving up 31 but that's skewed because they only gave up 7 to Austin Peay, who is also their only win. Eastern Illinois' points given up a game jumps up to just under 37 without the Austin Peay game. Austin Peay gives up just under 56 points a game. Going against those defensive juggernauts, I would hope you put up points.

On the opposite side, SDSU is giving up 16.25 points a game, the only team to score more than 20 points on them is Missouri.

Thumper 76
October 2nd, 2014, 03:30 PM
Further (I can't figure out how to edit a post), Mississippi Valley State is giving up over 48 points a game and it's one win is over University of Faith. Eastern Illinois is giving up 31 but that's skewed because they only gave up 7 to Austin Peay, who is also their only win. Eastern Illinois' points given up a game jumps up to just under 37 without the Austin Peay game. Austin Peay gives up just under 56 points a game. Going against those defensive juggernauts, I would hope you put up points.

On the opposite side, SDSU is giving up 16.25 points a game, the only team to score more than 20 points on them is Missouri.

But there is no way you can compare SUU and Cal Poly to the juggernaut that is Eastern Illinois, just ask them.

KUlawJack
October 3rd, 2014, 02:04 PM
But there is no way you can compare SUU and Cal Poly to the juggernaut that is Eastern Illinois, just ask them.

Prediction time!

24-17 Jackrabbits.

Thumper 76
October 3rd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Prediction time!

24-17 Jackrabbits.

Well dammit I was hoping to avoid it, but I spose I can.

31-20 Jacks win!!!

Houndawg
October 3rd, 2014, 02:42 PM
I'm picking the upset - birds on homecoming. If they don't play well this week they're done for the playoffs.

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2014, 10:28 AM
IMHO State needs this more than the Redbirds to stay in a good position to make the playoffs. If they lose they end up needing to win at NDSU or at UNI, and I would feel much more comfortable not having those as a must win.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 11:14 AM
IMHO State needs this more than the Redbirds to stay in a good position to make the playoffs. If they lose they end up needing to win at NDSU or at UNI, and I would feel much more comfortable not having those as a must win.

How is Sumner's recovery coming?

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2014, 11:17 AM
How is Sumner's recovery coming?

Most I know is the vague 8-10 weeks. I think it depends on how Lujan keeps playing. I'd bet they wait longer if Lujan keeps performing to make sure Sumner is 100% but if Lujan takes a 180• into a dumpster then I think he's rushed back.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2014, 02:50 PM
ISUr wins this one.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 02:52 PM
After the first qtr. Redbirds have used 3 turnovers, and converted to TDs. At just under 10 to half, Birds kick FG. 24-0 Birds over Rabbits.xsmhx

RB for ISU has 118 yds already. Zenner at about 30 on 8 carries, and one of the SDSU's TO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2014, 02:53 PM
SDSU's brutal stretch of games have started. It'll be interesting to see how they respond the rest of this game and moving forward....

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 02:57 PM
May have dug to big a hole to get out of. Passing game going better than running games for the Jacks. Redbirds looking solid, especially in the trenches.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 4th, 2014, 03:25 PM
38-3 Illinois State at half...wow....xrotatehx

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Jackrabbits getting rolled in Carbondale. ISU is definitely going for the jugular as they get a 4th TO from Jacks, and except for some incredible penalties, flukes, and barely knocked down hail mary's lead ONLY 38-3 at half.

Jacks would need a new school record comeback if get a win.

- - - Updated - - -

Jackrabbits getting rolled in Carbondale. ISU is definitely going for the jugular as they get a 4th TO from Jacks, and except for some incredible penalties, flukes, and barely knocked down hail mary's lead ONLY 38-3 at half.

Kemo
October 4th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Probably the most appropriate ending to the stupidest half I've ever seen.

ISU forces a turnover with :20 left in the half. They complete 2 hail mary passes that are called off because of penalties. Just about complete the 3rd one.

38-3 Redbirds at half.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Redbirds march second half opening drive in for a TD/EP. 45-3 ISU up.

Jacks create two TO, but deep in their own end. March the 2nd TO drive in for a TD 45-10.

Both Coperick (sp?) and Robertson are running wild against the Jacks. Robertson to Nebrich has been very effective combo. The FBS transfers for ISU have been huge for ISU.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 04:21 PM
ISU's 45 points is the most points scored against the Jacks in MVFC play since joining MVFC in 2008.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Wow, I thought SDSU was just having a bad first qtr.

This is getting out of hand. Should ISUr be a top 7 team?

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 04:38 PM
If you feel the Jacks are a top 15 program, then yes. ISU-R has really controlled every aspect of the game. The FBS transfers really add a dimension of speed and performance that Jacks haven't seen.

Very good play in trenches. ISU will move up well in my poll. Jacks will fall, but still believe they'll be a top half MVFC team.

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2014, 04:39 PM
What. The. Fornication. Is. Happening.

Jfc a guy comes out of work to this.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2014, 04:41 PM
If you feel the Jacks are a top 15 program, then yes. ISU-R has really controlled every aspect of the game. The FBS transfers really add a dimension of speed and performance that Jacks haven't seen.

Very good play in trenches. ISU will move up well in my poll. Jacks will fall, but still believe they'll be a top half MVFC team.

I haven't seen the jacks play since the Mizzou game. I honestly don't know if they are top 15 or not.

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 04:41 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but it ain't Carbondale. You don't play SIU this year.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 04:43 PM
What. The. Fornication. Is. Happening.

Jfc a guy comes out of work to this.

4 TO for Jacks, and short fields = Lots of unanswered points.

Jacks don't have a good strategy for mounting comebacks from well down, and Redbirds are much better than this Rabbit fan expected.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Sorry, but it ain't Carbondale. You don't play SIU this year.

Having to use a blasted IE version 7.0 doesn't lend itself well to editing. Doggone company computer.

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2014, 04:47 PM
4 TO for Jacks, and short fields = Lots of unanswered points.

Jacks don't have a good strategy for mounting comebacks from well down, and Redbirds are much better than this Rabbit fan expected.

Fumbles or int's?

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 04:48 PM
ug
Fumbles or int's?
3 Fumbles, 1 INT. All leaving Redbirds with 30 yds or so to go for a td

This bloodletting is done. ISU 45, SDSU 10 UGLY, UGLY GAME

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2014, 04:49 PM
3 Fumbles, 1 INT.

3 fumbles?!?! Good lord.

mmiller_34
October 4th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Top Ten teams don't get rolled like this. Jacks still haven't figured out how to play a game in the role of an expected winner.

Seems like this happens every year.

Also, Illinois State is very good.

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Top Ten teams don't get rolled like this. Jacks still haven't figured out how to play a game in the role of an expected winner.

I went from looking forward to the conference season to dreading it. A ranked team shouldn't lose like that to ANYBODY.

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Congrats Redbirdz very nice win!

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Congrats to the Redbirds. Good game.

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 05:12 PM

IL St is much better than expected by this Rabbit fan. They are 4-0. Given how the NDSU/WIU & UNI/ISU(B) games going/went, ISU may end up with the MVFC auto-bid. The FBS transfers + trench warriors = very complete team. However, still haven't played any away games.

REALBird
October 4th, 2014, 05:16 PM
IL St is much better than expected by this Rabbit fan. They are 4-0. Given how the NDSU/WIU & UNI/ISU(B) games going/went, ISU may end up with the MVFC auto-bid. The FBS transfers + trench warriors = very complete team. However, still haven't played any away games.

Next weekend @ISUb. Nice to have 7 at home, but road W's are the ones that separate pretenders from contenders

RabidRabbit
October 4th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Next weekend @ISUb. Nice to have 7 at home, but road W's are the ones that separate pretenders from contenders

Certainly few pre-season prognosicators had that ISU vs ISU would be a possible primary contenders for the auto-bid. After the 2 ISU wins today, it could certainly end up that way.

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I'd be surprised if we give up that many points, honestly. I really don't know if our offense can put up enough either, but I like the way they've performed so far against much better competition than ISU-R has faced (excluding the abomination that is Osh-Kosh).

Bet you were pretty surprised huh? ;)

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2014, 10:52 AM

It seems like Ill State always has a bunch of transfers and high expectations going into each season. However, somehow, it never seems to translate into a title run.

KUlawJack
October 6th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Bet you were pretty surprised huh? ;)

Yes, yes I was. 3 SDSU turnovers = 21 points before I even had a chance to throw one beer bottle across the room in disgust.

On another note, ISU-R is very, very good. Congratulations on the win Redbird fans. That offense is super dangerous all over the place.

REALBird
October 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM
It seems like Ill State always has a bunch of transfers and high expectations going into each season. However, somehow, it never seems to translate into a title run.

Skinny, Chemistry is more than a class they teach here at good Ol' State U. I "liked" some of the potential talent the FBS transfers provided in years past, wasn't crazy at how some of the prima donna attitudes they brought worked out. I liked the kid from Iowa State last year, but it seems the coaching staff wanted to make him a pure drop back passer, instead of letting him be an ATHLETE.

That's what I'm absolutely loving about these transfers. They're just pure ATHLETES. Colin Keoshian (BYU) was 2nd on the team in rushing TD's last year. This year he's turning into quite the stud Defensive Lineman. From Fullback to DL. Gotta love that!

The kid Dunmore from Oregon. I have to say I've got a man crush on this kid. He's recoved a force fumble, has an INT, gets tackles for losses, a few sacks and last game. The coaching staff said, "screw it". They put him in for a last second Hail Mary that he caught for a TD (which was overturned on a penalty). He played DB at Oregon, but at this level we can move him around quite a bit.

Tre Roberson (Indiana) had a phenomenal game on Satudary rushing for over 100 yards and passing for over 100 yards. I was concerned how he would approach the game if the other team took away his deep ball threats. He made a few bad throws that could have easily been picked off, and even had one INT as we were driving toward another TD. But Tre took what the defense gave him and had a solid, SOLID game. When you have a good receiver in Neblett with 5 TD's in 16 catches, a stud RB who has 10 TD's on the year in Coprich, and a QB who can throw a good deep ball, or use his feet to move the chains. It spells a good combination.

We got a good DL from Ohio State and a good cornerback from Ohio State as well. Guess old Urban Meyer is sharing his underplayed talent with ISU. Maybe he enjoyed his time coaching here enough that he's paying it forward. LOL.

I'll feel better after the trip to Terre Haute this weekend, and barring any significant injuries I think we've got the chemistry thing all worked out.

Kemo
October 6th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Skinny, Chemistry is more than a class they teach here at good Ol' State U. I "liked" some of the potential talent the FBS transfers provided in years past, wasn't crazy at how some of the prima donna attitudes they brought worked out. I liked the kid from Iowa State last year, but it seems the coaching staff wanted to make him a pure drop back passer, instead of letting him be an ATHLETE.

That's what I'm absolutely loving about these transfers. They're just pure ATHLETES. Colin Keoshian (BYU) was 2nd on the team in rushing TD's last year. This year he's turning into quite the stud Defensive Lineman. From Fullback to DL. Gotta love that!

The kid Dunmore from Oregon. I have to say I've got a man crush on this kid. He's recoved a force fumble, has an INT, gets tackles for losses, a few sacks and last game. The coaching staff said, "screw it". They put him in for a last second Hail Mary that he caught for a TD (which was overturned on a penalty). He played DB at Oregon, but at this level we can move him around quite a bit.

Tre Roberson (Indiana) had a phenomenal game on Satudary rushing for over 100 yards and passing for over 100 yards. I was concerned how he would approach the game if the other team took away his deep ball threats. He made a few bad throws that could have easily been picked off, and even had one INT as we were driving toward another TD. But Tre took what the defense gave him and had a solid, SOLID game. When you have a good receiver in Neblett with 5 TD's in 16 catches, a stud RB who has 10 TD's on the year in Coprich, and a QB who can throw a good deep ball, or use his feet to move the chains. It spells a good combination.

We got a good DL from Ohio State and a good cornerback from Ohio State as well. Guess old Urban Meyer is sharing his underplayed talent with ISU. Maybe he enjoyed his time coaching here enough that he's paying it forward. LOL.

I'll feel better after the trip to Terre Haute this weekend, and barring any significant injuries I think we've got the chemistry thing all worked out.

Roberson had a nice game and is electric in the open field when running the ball. I thought he did a really good job of deciding when to run and when to throw, though he did have some questionable decisions on where to throw it to at times. He had 1 INT and very easily could have had a couple more.

Coprich did an excellent job of breaking tackles and making defenders miss, but I was even more impressed with ISU's O-line. I know it's been a couple years since we played, but I don't recall the Redbirds ever being so strong in the trenches.

I don't believe any team in the Valley will go undefeated this year, however, I do think ISU-Red has a team built for a conference title run.

Sycamore62
October 6th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Was this game televised!

RabidRabbit
October 7th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Only on subscribed GoRedbirds.com