PDA

View Full Version : 2 DEs added to Buck Buchanan Watch List

smallcollegefbfan
September 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4727840

dewey
September 30th, 2014, 12:28 PM
From the link above.

Emanuel, Underwood join Buchanan Award Watch List

By Craig Haley, FCS Executive Director/Senior Editor

Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - A pair of defensive standouts from the
Missouri Valley Football Conference have played their way onto the 2014 Buck
Buchanan Award Watch List.

Defensive end Kyle Emanuel of top-ranked North Dakota State and linebacker
Connor Underwood of Indiana State have been creating havoc in opposing
backfields all season.

The Buck Buchanan Award, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this season,
honors the outstanding defensive player in the FCS.

The two additions Tuesday:

Kyle Emanuel, DE, North Dakota State, Sr., 6-3, 251, Schuyler, Nebraska

Emanuel is a three-year starter for a Bison program that is seeking an
unprecedented fourth straight FCS national title. He was named The Sports
Network FCS National Defensive Player of the Week after a season-opening win at
Iowa State and hasn't looked back. In four games, Emanuel has 21 total tackles,
including 11 solos with 8.5 for loss and five sacks. He also has three
quarterback hurries, two pass breakups and two forced fumbles.

Connor Underwood, DE, Indiana State, Jr., 6-3, 240, Washington, Illinois

The name Underwood is familiar to the Buchanan list as Connor's older brother
Colton was a finalist at Illinois State in 2012 and last year. Connor has carved
out his own niche in the MVFC, earning all-conference first-team honors a year
ago. This year, he's been outstanding for the 25th-ranked Sycamores with a
team-high 32 total tackles, including 16 solos, 9.5 tackles for loss and five
sacks through four games. He also has five QB hurries, two pass breakups, one
fumble recovery and one forced fumble.

Other players on the Buck Buchanan Award Watch List are nose guard O.J. Mau
of Gardner-Webb; defensive tackle Troy Moore of Sacred Heart; defensive ends
James Cowser of Southern Utah, Zach Hodges of Harvard, Mike Reilly of William
& Mary, Davis Tull of Chattanooga, Zack Wagenmann of Montana and Jonathan
Woodard of Central Arkansas; linebackers Quinn Backus of Coastal Carolina, Tony
Bell of UT Martin, Ronnie Hamlin of Eastern Washington and Lynden Trail of
Norfolk State; cornerback Tye Smith of Towson; and safeties Daniel Fitzpatrick
of Tennessee State, Jacob Hagen of Liberty, Colten Heagle of North Dakota State,
Caleb Schaffitzel of Missouri State and Jaquiski Tartt of Samford.

The Buck Buchanan Award Watch List can undergo revision during the 2014
season. Ballots will be sent to a national panel of over 150 sports information
and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries
following the regular season.

The Sports Network also presents the Walter Payton, Jerry Rice and Eddie
Robinson awards. The Payton Award honors the outstanding player in the FCS, the
Rice Award goes to the FCS freshman of the year and the Robinson Award is
bestowed upon the FCS coach of the year.

The 2014 FCS Awards package can be found at http://tinyurl.com/n5ysh8x.
09/30 09:38:09 ET

Here is an article from North Dakota State University.

http://www.gobison.com/news/2014/9/30/FB_0930144227.aspx

Emanuel Added to Buck Buchanan Award Watch List PHILADELPHIA - North Dakota State defensive end Kyle Emanuel (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5728) was added to the Buck Buchanan Award watch list Tuesday, Sept. 30. The award will be presented by The Sports Network at the FCS awards banquet Dec. 15 to the nation's most outstanding defensive player.

Emanuel, a senior from Schuyler, Neb., already has 8.5 tackles for loss and 5.0 sacks through four games after totaling 10.0 TFLs and 7.5 sacks last season. He has 21 total tackles, two forced fumbles, three quarterback hurries and two pass breakups.

Emanuel impressed with 4.0 tackles for loss including a pair of sacks and a forced fumble in the season-opening win at Iowa State. He had 3.0 sacks and a forced fumble that led to the go-ahead touchdown in the Week 2 victory at Weber State.

Emanuel ranks sixth in the FCS and leads the Missouri Valley Football Conference with 1.25 sacks per game. He is eighth nationally and third in the conference with 2.1 tackles for loss per game. NDSU's defense ranks second in the FCS in points allowed and third in total defense.

NDSU strong safety Colten Heagle (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5743), a preseason selection, remains on the Buchanan watch list with 18 other FCS players. Indiana State defensive end Connor Underwood was the only other addition to the list. Missouri State strong safety Caleb Schaffitzel is the only other MVFC player on the list, and Montana defensive end Zack Wagenmann is the only other Bison opponent listed.

The Buck Buchanan Award watch list can undergo revision during the season. Ballots will be sent to a national panel of over 150 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries following the regular season.

The Sports Network also presents the Walter Payton, Jerry Rice and Eddie Robinson awards. The Payton Award honors the outstanding player in the FCS, the Rice Award goes to the FCS freshman of the year and the Robinson Award is bestowed upon the FCS coach of the year.

Fordam linebacker Stephen Hodge and Southeast Louisiana cornerback Harlan Miller were dropped from the Buchanan watch list.

2014 Buck Buchanan Award Preseason Watch List - September 30 revision
Quinn Backus, LB, Coastal Carolina
Tony Bell, LB, Tennessee-Martin
James Cowser, DE, Southern Utah
Kyle Emanuel (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5728), DE, North Dakota State
Daniel Fitzpatrick, SS, Tennessee State
Jacob Hagen, FS, Liberty
Ronnie Hamlin, LB, Eastern Washington
Colten Heagle (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5743), SS, North Dakota State
Zach Hodges, DE, Harvard
OJ Mau, NG, Gardner-Webb
Troy Moore, DT, Sacred Heart
Mike Reilly, DE, William & Mary
Caleb Schaffitzel, SS, Missouri State
Tye Smith, CB, Towson
Jaquiski Tartt, FS, Samford
Lynden Trail, OLB, Norfolk State
Davis Tull, DE, Chattanooga
Connor Underwood, DE, Indiana State
Zack Wagenmann, DE, Montana
Jonathan Woodard, DE, Central Arkansas

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
September 30th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Dewey, good sir. I appreciate that you include this information here for us.

One thing that we need to be aware of though. Those sources that provide this content deserve to have traffic on their sites for their production. I am very glad you posted the links back to the sites but we should not post their full articles here so that people don't need to click the link to go read the rest.

I can't exactly remember the rule but we shouldn't be posting more than 1/4 of someone else's articles.xthumbsupx

kdinva
September 30th, 2014, 02:56 PM
........ Those sources that provide this content deserve to have traffic on their sites for their production. I am very glad you posted the links back to the sites but we should not post their full articles here so that people don't need to click the link to go read the rest.

I can't exactly remember the rule but we shouldn't be posting more than 1/4 of someone else's articles.xthumbsupx

that sounds about right, to avoid any "infringements".

veinup
October 2nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
Emanuel is a beast.

tomq04
October 2nd, 2014, 10:40 AM
Dewey, good sir. I appreciate that you include this information here for us.

One thing that we need to be aware of though. Those sources that provide this content deserve to have traffic on their sites for their production. I am very glad you posted the links back to the sites but we should not post their full articles here so that people don't need to click the link to go read the rest.

I didn't know this, but I do that it is good to post SOME of the article, since links have a tendency of turning the lights out. 25% seems like a reasonable number to hit some highlights.

BEAR
October 2nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
I really think Woodard is a beast but coach put in that 3-4 defense and now his numbers have dropped. I sat next to several NFL scouts the other day at the Nicholls game and they recognized the defense scheme and shook their heads because they knew it would be tougher for ANY DE to get good numbers like that. Right after that he broke through and THREW down the Nicholls QB!

If you look at the 1:23 mark in this video you can see why the scouts like him. Now he probably won't win this award if the coach keeps up that scheme, but he should be drafted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2T3BAgfpY