View Full Version : misc. FB questions (active roster and balls)

JayJ79
September 29th, 2014, 07:52 PM
two kind of random questions that I'm curious about.

I know that the road team is usually limited to a certain number of players (dressed and eligible to play). Are there such limitations for the home team as well?
Last week, UNI had a FG situation (later in the game with a hefty lead) where initially they sent out their backup kicker, then called a timeout and ended up sending out their primary kicker. Today on a radio show, there was some discussion on the possibility that the backup kicker wasn't listed as "eligible" for this game, and that if he had actually played, it might have resulted in forfeiting the game. So my question is: do home teams have to submit an "active roster" of a limited number of players that can participate, or are they free to use anyone on the team (who has normal eligibility for the year)?

second: do college teams use specific balls for kicks (FGs, XPs, etc.) or is that just an NFL thing? And if so, do they use the specific kicking ball for punts or their normal offensive ball?

McNeese75
September 29th, 2014, 07:56 PM
two kind of random questions that I'm curious about.

I know that the road team is usually limited to a certain number of players (dressed and eligible to play). Are there such limitations for the home team as well?
Last week, UNI had a FG situation (later in the game with a hefty lead) where initially they sent out their backup kicker, then called a timeout and ended up sending out their primary kicker. Today on a radio show, there was some discussion on the possibility that the backup kicker wasn't listed as "eligible" for this game, and that if he had actually played, it might have resulted in forfeiting the game. So my question is: do home teams have to submit an "active roster" of a limited number of players that can participate, or are they free to use anyone on the team (who has normal eligibility for the year)?

second: do college teams use specific balls for kicks (FGs, XPs, etc.) or is that just an NFL thing? And if so, do they use the specific kicking ball for punts or their normal offensive ball?

I am sure you will get an "Official" answer from someone but I heard there is no limit on the home team regarding how many suit up.

skinny_uncle
September 29th, 2014, 08:21 PM
The number of scholarships are limited by the division one plays in. I don't think there is an actual player limit.

AmsterBison
September 29th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Conferences set rules about how many players can travel. In the MVFC, I think the limit is set to 60 players that can travel to away conference games. Playing somebody other than those 60 would mean that an ineligible player was used, but don't know if that would result in a forfeit.

Er, guess this wouldn't apply to this game, seeing as how it was non-conference and that UNI was the home team.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 29th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Balls.

http://media.fakeposters.com/results/2009/07/17/3g8edcug8c.jpg

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2014, 09:30 PM
I'd have to guess he wasn't eligible for some other reason. In the 1 win during the (I'm not going to say his name) era ISUb used an ineligible player. They suspended the coach for a game but didn't have to forfeit the win breaking up a 55 game losing streak to a 33 and 21 game losing streak. I can't remember why he wasn't eligible.

JayJ79
September 29th, 2014, 10:26 PM
I'd have to guess he wasn't eligible for some other reason. In the 1 win during the (I'm not going to say his name) era ISUb used an ineligible player. They suspended the coach for a game but didn't have to forfeit the win breaking up a 55 game losing streak to a 33 and 21 game losing streak. I can't remember why he wasn't eligible.

for all I know, the backup kicker was completely eligible to play, and the coach just changed his mind on who he wanted to make the kick.

and I would imagine that most penalties for "ineligible" players are probably because of ineligibility due to academics or transfer issues, but I could be wrong.

AmsterBison
September 30th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Back in 1977, the conference NDSU was in had a limit of 42 guys for away games and every team had to list those players and play nobody else. NDSU played a player who was not on the list in a blowout win and, as a result, NDSU's travel squad was reduced by two guys for a while.

It's not a coincidence that NDSU took a very serious look at moving to DI that year because a 42-man travel squad is pretty small (especially in what was a bus league), not to mention that the dynamics of the conference meeting made it clear that it was NDSU vs Everybody and when your conference rep doesn't have your back when it comes to picking playoff sites, you are screwed.

kdinva
September 30th, 2014, 11:45 AM
........Last week, UNI had a FG situation (later in the game with a hefty lead) where initially they sent out their backup kicker, then called a timeout and ended up sending out their primary kicker.

is is possible this back-up kicker is going to be redshirted by the coach, and he momentarily forgot?

clenz
September 30th, 2014, 12:13 PM
is is possible this back-up kicker is going to be redshirted by the coach, and he momentarily forgot?
Did in 2012

I don't know what the deal was, other than having Schmadake set a couple records.

Or...

The back up kicker is #50...maybe there is a number issue there.

According to the NCAA rules offensive players are allowed

Backs 1–49
Center 50–59
Guard 60–69
Tackle 70–79
End 80–99

I don't know where a kicker would fall - probably in the 1-49 and 80-99 numbers.

It'll be interesting to see if he has a number switch.

PAllen
September 30th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Did in 2012

I don't know what the deal was, other than having Schmadake set a couple records.

Or...

The back up kicker is #50...maybe there is a number issue there.

According to the NCAA rules offensive players are allowed

Backs 1–49
Center 50–59
Guard 60–69
Tackle 70–79
End 80–99

I don't know where a kicker would fall - probably in the 1-49 and 80-99 numbers.

It'll be interesting to see if he has a number switch.

NCAA rules do not prohibit a kicker from wearing any number. They also don't dictate where on the O-Line a player must play with a certain number. 1-49 and 80-99 are eligible receiver numbers which just means that if they are also eligible by position, then they can head down field to make a catch. The snapper must be ineligible by number, except for scrimmage kicks (FG and punts), or plays from a scrimmage kick formation (anytime the ball is snapped at least 7yds deep before it is touched) where the snapper is exempted from the eligibility rules and is an eligible receiver. The kicker is lined up in the backfield and is therefore an eligible receiver by position, but if wearing 50 is ineligible by number. That just means he can't head down field for a pass on a busted play or fake FG attempt. You can put as many ineligible players in the backfield as you want, as long as you also have five on the line of scrimmage.

Sycamore62
September 30th, 2014, 01:44 PM
NCAA rules do not prohibit a kicker from wearing any number. They also don't dictate where on the O-Line a player must play with a certain number. 1-49 and 80-99 are eligible receiver numbers which just means that if they are also eligible by position, then they can head down field to make a catch. The snapper must be ineligible by number, except for scrimmage kicks (FG and punts), or plays from a scrimmage kick formation (anytime the ball is snapped at least 7yds deep before it is touched) where the snapper is exempted from the eligibility rules and is an eligible receiver. The kicker is lined up in the backfield and is therefore an eligible receiver by position, but if wearing 50 is ineligible by number. That just means he can't head down field for a pass on a busted play or fake FG attempt. You can put as many ineligible players in the backfield as you want, as long as you also have five on the line of scrimmage.

This...

i have seen ineligible #s on kickers and punters way more often that I think I should have. I dont see a benefit to giving him any other number than an eligible number

- - - Updated - - -

you konw, I was thinking. Maybe the announcers were full of *****

clenz
September 30th, 2014, 01:48 PM
you konw, I was thinking. Maybe the announcers were full of *****
???

For discussing the possibility of it?

That would make them full of ****?

Sycamore62
September 30th, 2014, 02:42 PM
???

For discussing the possibility of it?