PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see this before

Tealblood
November 5th, 2006, 06:59 AM
CCU Sav. St. Coastal up 66-6 about 10 minutes left in the game. The officials talk to both coaches(from Bennett--Sav. was getting cheap and frustratred and started hitting late and other stuff) So the officials said that we would play with a continuous clock the rest of the way. A running clock I had never seen that in a college football game

CSU BUCS
November 5th, 2006, 07:02 AM
High School yes, college no.

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2006, 07:17 AM
CCU Sav. St. Coastal up 66-6 about 10 minutes left in the game. The officials talk to both coaches(from Bennett--Sav. was getting cheap and frustratred and started hitting late and other stuff) So the officials said that we would play with a continuous clock the rest of the way. A running clock I had never seen that in a college football game

There's times I've been up in the pressbox or on press row and wished for a running clock!

Seen plenty of awful games in my time in which it just wasn't fair. It's similar to ending a game after a few innings (seen it when SHSU tagged TxSo for about 20 runs). I got no problem with it...

Delaware Ghostrider II
November 5th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Personally....I don't see the cause for a continuous clock. I mean there are some games where everything just seems to click for one team and cluck for another.....However I do feel if a team is up by that much they should basically go to a continuous ground game....no reason to really stop the clock with incomplete passes or running out of bounds to stop the clock....sticking to a ground game will keep the clock rolling and more than likely if you are up by that much your ground game is probaly doing rather well anyway....just my two cents

walliver
November 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM
It sounds very high school-ish. If the game is so out of hand that you don't want to play by the rules, maybe you should call the game and go home - don't play pretend football.

Coastal89
November 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Bennetts reason was that the SSU players were cheap shoting some of our guys and even though they were getting ejected, he didn't want to risk any injuries.
BTW, CCU didn't throw a past from around the 5:00 mark of the 3rd through the entire 4th quarter.

Uncle Buck
November 5th, 2006, 09:04 AM
i've got one better for you. Last year when Hofstra played Stony Brook, the game was delayed twice for lightening and HU was up 38-0 at the half. At the start of the third quarter, they announced that all parties involved agreed to play two 10 minute quarters for the 3rd and 4th, HU went on to win 55-0. That was strange.

CSU BUCS
November 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Bennetts reason was that the SSU players were cheap shoting some of our guys and even though they were getting ejected, he didn't want to risk any injuries.
BTW, CCU didn't throw a past from around the 5:00 mark of the 3rd through the entire 4th quarter.
That's the problem with playing teams like that. They aren’t winning and have nothing to lose and usually have a lack of decipline due to not winning. It can really cause some unfortunate injuries.

To be honest the Big South/ACC officials probably wanted to get the game over with. You can watch them and tell that they don’t take much effort in calling our games and start shutting it down early late in the game. I guess the crew is mad because they got picked for a Big South game that week instead of an ACC game. You can tell they don’t think our games are important, it’s not the ACC.
I wish we would get our own officials and quit borrowing them from the ACC

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2006, 10:53 AM
That's crazy, I didn't know they could do that.

CSUBUCDAD
November 5th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Thank you liberals for political correctness being injected into sports. Sounds like a freakin peewee game to me.

downbythebeach
November 5th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Thank you liberals for political correctness being injected into sports.

Did you read any of this thread? What is politically correct about anything? Explain.

JDC325
November 6th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Did you read any of this thread? What is politically correct about anything? Explain.

I am assuming that he meant regardless of the score or what is going on the field it is pathetic to have a running clock in a COLLEGE football game. You would never ever see that in a SEC or PAC 10 game. That is why is sounds like a pee wee game and rightly so.

bobcatfan06
November 6th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Last year, when we played Panhandle St and won 75-7 or something like that we ran the same zone read play from the 2nd quarter on. Plus Panhandle kept fumbling and throwing picks. Never had a running clock though.

D-town
November 6th, 2006, 01:00 AM
In the 90's the University of Sioux Falls (SD) played the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (both NAIA) in a freezing rain/ snow storm. At half both teams and officials decided to play the second half with a running clock. One of my friends played in the game and he said it was a freak storm in the Black Hills and was raining very heavy at the start, then the temp drop a lot and it was heavy snow. He said everything was freezing, from players, officials, fans and field. They did for the safety and health of everyone involved.
The final score was close I think 7-6 and maybe 0-0 at half.

RobsPics
November 6th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I personally want to thank all the liberals out there for providing D1AA football with such an exciting, and sometime unorthodox, gameday atmosphere.

blur2005
November 6th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Thank you liberals for political correctness being injected into sports. Sounds like a freakin peewee game to me.
Oh give me a fricken break.xidiotx

It's called sportsmanship. If a game is over, a game is over. This is a great rule in high school sports. Admittedly, I don't think it should apply in college but maybe if the margin is 60 points like CCU-SSU it could be used:rotateh: .

CSUBUCDAD
November 6th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I am assuming that he meant regardless of the score or what is going on the field it is pathetic to have a running clock in a COLLEGE football game. You would never ever see that in a SEC or PAC 10 game. That is why is sounds like a pee wee game and rightly so.

Exactly what I meant. Go to a little league baseball or T-ball game. They don't even keep score. One state now even has a rule in place that says if a high school football team beats another team by more than 50 points, the coach is suspended for one game. We are so freakin afraid of embarassing someone(this is where the political correctness comes in) and as a result we raise kids who do not understand that the whole world is about competition. You win some, you lose some.

BEAR
November 6th, 2006, 06:58 AM
I believe UCA had it happen a few years back when they were NAIA or just in DII. They had the opponent up big in the second half when the coaches agreed to keep the clock going to end the game. Though I am not a big fan of using that practice, I believe it is necessary in rare instances. Saturday UCA had SAU down 35 to 0 in the first quarter, could have been 42 - 0 but a fumble in the end zone gave the muleriders possession. The crowd thinned out, the 3rd stringers were bored and basicly it was just an opportunity to apply the "continually run the clock" idea. (either that or send in the cheerleaders and pick some fans from the crowd) Although I agree, this is college, there are instances even in college (especially when dealing with small colleges like SAU) it's ok to use that idea.

As for political correctness, get a life....sometimes the world hurts your feelings..learn from it and get over it.....

BeauFoster
November 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Exactly what I meant. Go to a little league baseball or T-ball game. They don't even keep score. One state now even has a rule in place that says if a high school football team beats another team by more than 50 points, the coach is suspended for one game. We are so freakin afraid of embarassing someone(this is where the political correctness comes in) and as a result we raise kids who do not understand that the whole world is about competition. You win some, you lose some.

The only reason that state instituted that rule was for a coach who was intentionally running up the score. They would fake a punt in the 4th quarter when they were up 90-6 (no kidding). In high school, I have no problem with a running clock because sometimes, schools are capable of beating in-conference teams by 100+. In college, I think it is something of a stretch. The game should be played to the end, without changing the rules.

Dabnus Brickey
November 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM
That's the problem with playing teams like that. They aren’t winning and have nothing to lose and usually have a lack of decipline due to not winning. It can really cause some unfortunate injuries.

To be honest the Big South/ACC officials probably wanted to get the game over with. You can watch them and tell that they don’t take much effort in calling our games and start shutting it down early late in the game. I guess the crew is mad because they got picked for a Big South game that week instead of an ACC game. You can tell they don’t think our games are important, it’s not the ACC.
I wish we would get our own officials and quit borrowing them from the ACC
You guys would know!!! No, you play them pretty close.:nod:

And I personally don't think its a liberal/conservative thing. The more we keep politics out of our sports, the better we'll be.

beerkat
November 6th, 2006, 09:05 AM
when Oklahoma beat A&M 77-0 a few years ago they did the running clock thing

TxSt02
November 6th, 2006, 10:13 AM
this year when SE Lousiana played Texas Tech they did this for the entire 2nd half..

Delaware Ghostrider II
November 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I think NCAA rules state 4/15 minute quarters and the clock rules changed this year I know but a CONTINUOUS clock??? :confused: : smh : Are the refs so superior that they can just change the rules as the game goeas along? lol

bkrownd
November 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM
This is an interesting point. If the referee and both coaches agree to a spontaneous rules change (of any kind) during the game, IS it legal and legitimate in the eyes of the NCAA?

ASU Kep
November 6th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Coastal had no business playing Sav St. in the first place, and Sav St. has no business in I-AA.

rokamortis
November 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Coastal had no business playing Sav St. in the first place, and Sav St. has no business in I-AA.

In our defense, the contract was signed before we even started playing football - it was a four year deal. It has been reported that we tried getting out of the last 2 years of the contract but Savannah State didn't like the idea. As far as I'm aware, there are no future plans to continue the series.

CoastalFan2005
November 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM

In our defense, the contract was signed before we even started playing football - it was a four year deal. It has been reported that we tried getting out of the last 2 years of the contract but Savannah State didn't like the idea. As far as I'm aware, there are no future plans to continue the series.

That's right...we tried on several occasions to buy out the last 2 years of that contract, but SSU wasn't having it. I don't think we plan to play them ever again, which makes me very happy.

ASU Kep
November 6th, 2006, 06:27 PM
That's right...we tried on several occasions to buy out the last 2 years of that contract, but SSU wasn't having it. I don't think we plan to play them ever again, which makes me very happy.

OK, at least it's a tad bit more understandable for me now. :nod:

BigApp
November 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM
eh, you signed a deal in your infancy. no biggie. play 'em out and you'll be fine, and they'll be forgotten.