PDA

View Full Version : Maine vs. Villanova

Gangtackle11
September 29th, 2014, 04:38 PM
A place to talk about this Saturday's upcoming CAA battle!​

Gordon Shumway
September 29th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I think Maine is going to have their hands full, but I would never count them out at home.

CHIP72
September 29th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Hopefully the Wildcats have some Black Bears for lunch!

ngineer
September 29th, 2014, 07:15 PM
At home, Maine is always a strong opponent. I think the 'cats will be pushed pretty good, though I expect them to win a close one.

CHIP72
September 29th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Like Gordon Shumway and ngineer, I think Villanova wins a close game. JMU pushed the Wildcats through three quarters at Villanova, and though the Dukes are a solid team, they don't appear to be one of the powerhouses of the CAA this year. Playing in Orono is always tough. It wouldn't be a total shock to see the Black Bears pull the upset, though I hope that doesn't happen.

Mattymc727
September 30th, 2014, 06:48 AM
One of the few occasions Ill root for Maine....

UNHWildcat18
September 30th, 2014, 07:45 AM
As much as id like to see us win out and see nova lose a game so we wouldnt be co-champs, Maine is going to get stomped.
Nova 38-17

Mattymc727
September 30th, 2014, 08:23 AM
I agree, Nova wins easy.

ccd494
September 30th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I don't think Maine can keep the ball long enough for this to be close. Maine has its typically very strong defense and a horrific offense. The defense just gets absolutely worn down by all the 3-and-outs on the offensive side.

Nova09
September 30th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I don't think Maine can keep the ball long enough for this to be close. Maine has its typically very strong defense and a horrific offense. The defense just gets absolutely worn down by all the 3-and-outs on the offensive side.

Good assessment. I can't predict a "blowout" because Maine is always a tough team to blowout but I do think Nova controls the game and wins comfortable. Can't see the Maine offense sustaining much of anything. Other than to/st points, I don't think the Maine offense can do much more than 3 points/60ish yards in the first half. Always tough to say how stats look later in the game when Nova could have a safe lead and just allows short gains to keep the clock rolling.

mainejeff
September 30th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Collins is the key........he has improved every week and can really chuck the ball. Maine has to win the turnover battle and have some semblance of a running game to have any shot at beating them.

ccd494
September 30th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Collins is the key........he has improved every week and can really chuck the ball. Maine has to win the turnover battle and have some semblance of a running game to have any shot at beating them.

The line terrifies me. It was not good last year, is worse this year, and the personnel isn't there this year to paper over it.

Anovafan
September 30th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I watched the entire Maine-Towson game and I am still scratching my head. Maine looked great in the first half and scared me. Then they looked terrible in the second half and I felt better. Then Maine drove the field and scored the winning TD with no time left and I was scared again. I like to think Nova wins this game because they are the better team, but I would be silly to think that Maine can't win this game, especially at home. Your typical CAA game where just about anyone can beat anyone. This is going to be a real test for both teams. I predict Nova 31-21.

CatsWinCatsWinCatsWin
September 30th, 2014, 06:29 PM
It will be a tough battle, but I think that the Cats win by 10.

CHIP72
October 3rd, 2014, 11:39 AM
For whatever it is worth, the Villanova/Maine game will be televised live on Fox College Sports Pacific (of all channels).

smilo
October 3rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
Center Ross Hall joins the injury list for the Wildcats this week joining HB Austin Medley, OLB Corey Majors, and DE Tanoh Kpassagnon as out for this one. OLB Joey Harmon is questionable, but I think they will probably hold him out.

Nova09
October 3rd, 2014, 02:48 PM
For whatever it is worth, the Villanova/Maine game will be televised live on Fox College Sports Pacific (of all channels).

Anyone have any idea what service providers offer this channel in the northeast? I checked DirectTV to see if I could tell my local bar to put it on but it doesn't seem to be available in this region. Maybe I'm not putting something in correctly.

CHIP72
October 3rd, 2014, 09:33 PM
Anyone have any idea what service providers offer this channel in the northeast? I checked DirectTV to see if I could tell my local bar to put it on but it doesn't seem to be available in this region. Maybe I'm not putting something in correctly.

Most cable providers carry it (and the other two Fox College Sports channels). I know both Verizon FiOS and Comcast carry it, albeit only in SD.

smilo
October 4th, 2014, 11:39 AM
WR Mike Burke also out for Villanova today

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 11:57 AM

It is on 608-1 on Direct TV.

smilo
October 4th, 2014, 12:13 PM
WR Clay Horne filling in admirably for Burke. Huge catch just now and a good block earlier. Burke is generally known for his blocking so that was nice to see.

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Have a kicker throw the ball to a 3rd string QB.....great plan for a Fake Field goal

tribe_pride
October 4th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Did anyone really believe he was going to try the FG?

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Botched PAT could come back to bite Maine.....I'm hoping it's not gonna be close enough to matter though....

smilo
October 4th, 2014, 12:47 PM
He's improved quite a bit since week 1, and that was not a difficult kick. I was certainly surprised by that.

At least Maine just flub bed their PAT

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Did anyone really believe he was going to try the FG?

I was skeptical. I don't think that's about as far out as Andy trusts him. He's always kicking from around the 30 in warm ups, so that's probably just around his limit

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Some of the only stuff I could find on Lincoln collins. Congrats on the first career TD
http://www.vuhoops.com/2013/2/6/3951764/lincoln-collins-villanova-football-national-signing-day-2012

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Big first drive here from the Cat's. If they can keep rolling and jump out to a 15 point lead, they might smother the bears

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 01:40 PM
4 straight 4 passing TD games for Robertson. #PaytonWatch

tribe_pride
October 4th, 2014, 01:46 PM
So apparently T. West was on Villanova last year.

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 02:02 PM
So apparently T. West was on Villanova last year.

Could you imagine that backfield if he was? Robertson, West, Monangai, Medely, Abdur-Rahman. We would have never needed to throw a single pass.

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 02:32 PM
4 passing TDs? check
40 points? check
4 wins? check
4 wins? check

Can't even imagine the numbers we could put up next week.....3rd string QB might see more productive playing time than just fielding an onsides kick

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Robertson's quest for the Walter Payton continued this week in Orno, despite throwing his first INT on the season

16/25(64%)/285/4 TD
17 carries for 56 yards

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Robertson's season line:

86/125(69%)...1267 yds (253.4 ypg)...16 TD...1 INT
85/290 yds...1 TD (3.4 ypc and 58 ypg)

1557 TOTyds 17 TOTtd (311 ypg)

Anovafan
October 6th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Robertson's quest for the Walter Payton continued this week in Orno, despite throwing his first INT on the season

16/25(64%)/285/4 TD
17 carries for 56 yards

VA has it locked up. John will never have enough stats to compete with VA this year because of all of the blow-outs that have happened, and will happen later in the season. I would still take John over VA any day of the week though. He is the best at this division and can win games entirely by himself.

Grizalltheway
October 6th, 2014, 09:39 AM
VA has it locked up. John will never have enough stats to compete with VA this year because of all of the blow-outs that have happened, and will happen later in the season. I would still take John over VA any day of the week though. He is the best at this division and can win games entirely by himself.

You may have heard that VA is going to be on a little sabbatical the next few weeks...

tomq04
October 6th, 2014, 10:21 AM
You may have heard that VA is going to be on a little sabbatical the next few weeks...

Robertson has a pretty good shot now :)

HailSzczur
October 6th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Robertson has a pretty good shot now :)

If he can stay in games long enough....Has missed about 1 games worth of playing time so far. Games against Rhody and Morgan St still on the schedule. Team's already banged up, I'd look for Andy to get Poloney into garbage time quick. Teams missing our starting center, 2nd string running back, 2nd or 3rd string reciver, and starting TE currently

Anovafan
October 6th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Oops, missed the broken foot for VA. That stinks. He is a great player.