PDA

View Full Version : UNI at Indiana St. 10/4/2014

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2014, 11:15 AM
So since the ISUb vs Liberty thread had turned into discussion about this game anyway I figured I would start one here. ;)

I don't have much to say. So far the two have one common opponent Tennessee Tech. Both teams played Tennessee Tech at home. Indiana St. beat them 49-14 while UNI won this last weekend 50-7. Not sure how much we can gather as Tennessee Tech was pretty awful.

Should be a heck of an opener to the MVFC for both teams!

Go Panthers!

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I'm hoping for a good game. Not really sure what to expect from either team.

Sycamore62
September 30th, 2014, 09:25 AM
UNI fans...what type of QB is Kollmorgen. Since we haven't played for a couple years I haven't seen you guys play.

penguinpower
September 30th, 2014, 09:48 AM
I would say that they are physical and they telegraph what they are going to do and challenge you to stop it.

UNIFanSince1983
September 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM
UNI fans...what type of QB is Kollmorgen. Since we haven't played for a couple years I haven't seen you guys play.

He is a traditional pocket passer. He isn't terribly mobile, but he can run a little bit although you probably won't need to worry about him running it. We do run what might look like a read option with him from time to time, but 95% of the time he is going to hand the ball off in that situation. He can lock onto receivers, but the biggest issue is if he gets under pressure he tends to make bad decisions.

Sycamore62
September 30th, 2014, 09:59 AM
He is a traditional pocket passer. He isn't terribly mobile, but he can run a little bit although you probably won't need to worry about him running it. We do run what might look like a read option with him from time to time, but 95% of the time he is going to hand the ball off in that situation. He can lock onto receivers, but the biggest issue is if he gets under pressure he tends to make bad decisions.

is that your QB or ours lol. Perish has done a great job of doing what he is good at. Our sacks seem to be 15yd losses, he does scramble effectively sometimes (im usually screaming slide when he gets back to the LOS). If you look back at last year he was putting up good numbers until he was injured along with ever other good player ISUb has ever had (or it seemed that way). I think I was even injured it was so bad and I haven't played a down of football since the 3rd overtime at the dome in 1997.

Guardshock
September 30th, 2014, 05:10 PM

Our defense has caught onto that well. Connor Underwood has been fantastic and I very much look forward to this game. I'm hoping for an early sack to make the QB think about the pressure. I'd like to see how our corners match up against MVFC WR's as they've had a fairly good OOC. Good luck UNI. Should be a good game.

unigriff
September 30th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Here was my post at PN regarding the game. I've seen both teams play but its still my opinion. ISUb fans you may have different feelings regarding your players I mentioned.

"The Sycs come into the game 3-1 overall and 2-0 at home.

Indiana State opened up with a hard fought 28-10 loss to Indiana but has since wrattled off 3 wins against Tennessee Tech (49-14), @ FBS Ball State (27-20), and over nationally ranked Liberty 38-19.

Mike Perish is the QB for the Sycs and he has been phenomenal thus far. He has racked up nearly 1200 yards passing with 9 TDs and 0 Interceptions to this point. He has been efficient at 67% and has a QB rating of 147.4. He has been sacked 9 times.

13 different receivers have caught a pass and 7 of those have caught at least 1 TD. 3 Different rushers have at least 2 TDs (team has 7 total).

Perish has rushed 20 times this season for -74 yards and 2 TDs.

Buck Logan is their speedy RB. In the 3 games I have seen him play...he has been outstanding. More so due to some great offensive line play but he can make you miss and could be the next coming of Shakir Bell.

Defensively the Sycs are better than years past but still have some work to do. They give up points, they just score more.

In retrospect, we know what we have..but here are some stats for you to compare. Kollmorgen has 1004 yards passing on 52%, with 9 TDs and 2 INTs. He has been sacked a lot...7 times. His QB rating is 146.2

David Johson is leading the charge now rushing with 395 yards and also has 285 receiving yards, which leads the team. DJ only has 2 total TDs. That has to change. (Backup Brion Carnes leads the team with 2 rushing TDs)

Kevin Vereen leads our receiving attack with 4 TDs so far!

Keys to the game will be:
Establish DJ early and often
Limit big plays from Perish/Logan
Clean up penalties
Win Turnover battle

My prediction: Both teams start hot. Panthers pull away in 2nd half. 38-17."

This really should be a great game. How well ISUb stops the run against us and shutting down DJ on the outside passing game will tell the story for the Sycs. I'll be working, so unfortunately I can't keep the thread updated during the game like I usually do, but I'll definitely be gamecasting on my phone!

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2014, 11:22 PM
I think UNI wins a close one here.
Something like 27-21.

Sycamore62
October 1st, 2014, 09:28 AM
UNIGRIFF. pretty good summary. I have felt like the D starts slow and does a great job adjusting or keeping a high level of effort. Fun Fact: the D coordinator Brian Cabral played on the '85 Bears Defense

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2014, 11:16 AM
I think UNI dominates in this game: 35-14

Twentysix
October 1st, 2014, 11:22 AM
I would love for ISUb to win, because that likely means they are for real, which would be awesome! But I doubt ISUb wins.

Sycamore62
October 1st, 2014, 11:32 AM
I would love for ISUb to win, because that likely means they are for real, which would be awesome! But I doubt ISUb wins.

A close game might also mean they are for real. Since they stole a win from Ball State they means they only need 5 conference wins to look good for the playoffs. I'd rather not have it come to our conference representative arguing for us though

Sycamore51
October 1st, 2014, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure what to expect. IU would be top 3 in the MVFC, but I'm not sure they could win it. Ball St would probably be upper in the upper 1/3, and it was a great win, but I don't know how many times we would beat them out of 10. I think Liberty would be in the bottom 1/3 of the league and Tenn Tech probably would go 0fer in the league. Like I've said before, there are some really good teams that will only win 3 games or less in the MVFC.
I will be pulling like crazy for the Sycamores, but with INST only winning 1 of the last 10 meetings and not beating UNI since 2002, it's really hard for me to say INST will win.

deez_na
October 1st, 2014, 01:29 PM
This will be a good game imo. It's one i would like to watch. Good thing for gamecast but it just isn't the same.

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2014, 01:42 PM
Just for fun, if UNI gets smoked does that mean that Ind St is that good or UNI that overrated? I doubt that happens, but the reaction would be interesting if it happened.

Sycamore62
October 1st, 2014, 01:50 PM
This will be a good game imo. It's one i would like to watch. Good thing for gamecast but it just isn't the same.

I was somewhat surprised no one has picked it up for espn3. I know why they didnt prior to the season, but now?

clenz
October 1st, 2014, 01:56 PM
I was somewhat surprised no one has picked it up for espn3. I know why they didnt prior to the season, but now?
ISU has to offer to televise it for that too happen....

UNIFanSince1983
October 1st, 2014, 01:57 PM
Just for fun, if UNI gets smoked does that mean that Ind St is that good or UNI that overrated? I doubt that happens, but the reaction would be interesting if it happened.

I think the majority of people would say UNI is overrated. Of course the same goes for if Indiana St gets blown out I am sure it will be that they were overrated, and not UNI was that good.

Sycamore62
October 1st, 2014, 02:11 PM
ISU has to offer to televise it for that too happen....

Ya I didnt really know who it landed on. The local NBC affiliate broadcasts some games but Notre Dame is at home at the same time so they bone all the non douche bag fans

clenz
October 1st, 2014, 02:38 PM
Ya I didnt really know who it landed on. The local NBC affiliate broadcasts some games but Notre Dame is at home at the same time so they bone all the non douche bag fans
Yep.

ESPN3 doesn't produce the games, only stream the broadcasts of it.

THE HERD
October 1st, 2014, 02:48 PM
The Trees to me are the surprise of the season thus far. After seeing them against us last year I didn't think they would win more than two games this year. Congrats on the quick turn around, but we will see if its for real against UNI, they are a very solid team.

Sycamore62
October 1st, 2014, 03:01 PM
The Trees to me are the surprise of the season thus far. After seeing them against us last year I didn't think they would win more than two games this year. Congrats on the quick turn around, but we will see if its for real against UNI, they are a very solid team.

Once again, QB out, all american running back out. all conference linebacker lost for season before they got pads on. back up qb is now a receiver. defensive players playing offense. an average team that isnt deep cant have that many losses, or below average if you want to call it that.

BisonBohl
October 1st, 2014, 03:16 PM
Should be a close game, it wouldnt shock me if ISU wins.

Sycamore62
October 1st, 2014, 03:50 PM
weather.com says a high of 55 and a low of 38. that surprises me slightly

deez_na
October 1st, 2014, 04:24 PM

Yeah I think it'll be a very good game. We should really see how both these teams fare after this weekend. They both have looked solid so far to me.

UNI Pike
October 1st, 2014, 09:10 PM
What happens if the forecasts changes to rain during the game? I think that ISUb is more impacted that UNI, at least on paper.

unigriff
October 1st, 2014, 10:31 PM
Now everyone knows I love my panthers but I'll try to be not so homerish here. If ISUb wins..they would be legit, and this conference is stacked. We aready knew that. UNI is not anywhere near overrated. This team is stacked with talent. This is the best team possibly in recent school history at the least. Talent wise far better than the 05 runner up team and and prob even a little better than the 12-0 07 team.

Had it not been for some questionable callas at Iowa...should of won. Had our offense played even 10% better against a good Hawaii defense be a total story. Even in defeat tho our offense still scored over 20 pts against BCS foes and our defense has been outstanding.

As has been shown thus far...A team is gonna have to score 25+ to beat us. How many teams trust their offense they can score 25+ on a given night let alone against an exceptional defense?

Our Achilles heel - penalties and flea flickers!

I'm done rambling cuz I'm so frickin excited for conference season!

JayJ79
October 1st, 2014, 10:47 PM
This team is stacked with talent. This is the best team possibly in recent school history at the least. Talent wise far better than the 05 runner up team and and prob even a little better than the 12-0 07 team.

in some areas, perhaps. other areas, the '05 and '07 teams probably have the edge. Or at least I haven't seen enough from the current team to convince me of greater talent than those previous teams in those areas.

Guardshock
October 2nd, 2014, 07:08 AM
As has been shown thus far...A team is gonna have to score 25+ to beat us. How many teams trust their offense they can score 25+ on a given night let alone against an exceptional defense?

Our Achilles heel - penalties

I'm done rambling cuz I'm so frickin excited for conference season!

If this was all you said, I'd think you were talking about ISUb here. We did have a 1st and 55 this year. Still converted for the first down on 3rd and 40somethin. Penalties have been horrible this year and ISU needs to do better to win this game. Everyone talked about Liberty's stellar defense and our offense was able to pick it apart. I'll be at work and miss majority of the game but I'll be listening to it for sure. Our OOC looks fairly close. Should be a FANTASTIC game. Hoping for ISUB win, 31-17.

Sycamore62
October 2nd, 2014, 08:18 AM
What happens if the forecasts changes to rain during the game? I think that ISUb is more impacted that UNI, at least on paper.

Id say this has to be true. No way it would make things better for ISU. Best case scenario would be a push.

UNI Pike
October 2nd, 2014, 09:04 AM
Rain is forecast for the day before, though that may change. However, it appears it will be a windy day regardless. 15-20 mph westerly wind. That should make things interesting for the QBs and kickers.

Looking at the stats on paper (and not seeing any of the Trees' game film), I would speculate that UNI is going to attempt to go run heavy. You are giving up 4 yards per carry on average, that's a tempting target. Also, weather being a possible issue, and keeping your QB off the field play into that.

Sycamore62
October 2nd, 2014, 09:18 AM
Rain is forecast for the day before, though that may change. However, it appears it will be a windy day regardless. 15-20 mph westerly wind. That should make things interesting for the QBs and kickers.

Looking at the stats on paper (and not seeing any of the Trees' game film), I would speculate that UNI is going to attempt to go run heavy. You are giving up 4 yards per carry on average, that's a tempting target. Also, weather being a possible issue, and keeping your QB off the field play into that.

i assume that would always be UNI's strategy with their weapons being what they are (from what I have heard). Take out the IU game and the YPC drops dramatically.

If you look at google earth view of the stadium, you will see that it is configured from NW to SE. so the wind will be blowing from the corner where the bleachers meets the locker room. The stadium is also hollow in the back and elevated about 10 feet or so from the ground sooooo....it acts like a big "bellows". wind blows in the huge back, and out a 10-15ft area much faster. It will mess kickers up. I doubt it will mess our QB up as much.

UNIFanSince1983
October 2nd, 2014, 11:10 AM

This is what makes a dome so great. You get to see who truly is the better team in equal conditions :)

birdsflyhigh
October 2nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
Going with UNI in a BIG way on this one....could get ugly as the Trees lose their leaves.

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 11:22 AM
If this was all you said, I'd think you were talking about ISUb here. We did have a 1st and 55 this year. Still converted for the first down on 3rd and 40somethin. Penalties have been horrible this year and ISU needs to do better to win this game. Everyone talked about Liberty's stellar defense and our offense was able to pick it apart. I'll be at work and miss majority of the game but I'll be listening to it for sure. Our OOC looks fairly close. Should be a FANTASTIC game. Hoping for ISUB win, 31-17.

While the games I've seen (IU, Ball and Liberty), yea id agree you do have a lot of penalties too. Our problem is we kill ourselves in the redzone. I think 2010 was a lot of the same. We'd kill ourselves and result in FGs. The Iowa game we got hosed on too many calls but we didn't help our situation much either. the UNC game last weekend could have easily been 77-0. We settled for 2 FGs in the first quarter after penalties on 1st and goal inside the 7. If we want to be top tier and be competitive in the MVFC let alone the country we can't do that period. If we kick 2 FGs on our first two drives this weekend, we will lose Saturday. Book it.

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
Quarter by Quarter analysis.

1st - UNI 10 Ind St. 7
Halftime - UNI 24-ISU 14
3rd - UNI 31 ISU - 17
Game - UNI 38-17.

UNI - Kollmorgen - 19-28, 268 yds. 3 TDs, Johnson 26 Carries for 123 yds. 2 TDs, 2 Receptions for 78 yds, 1 TD.
Panther Defense - 4 sacks, 1 INT. 1 FF 1 FR

ISUb Total offense - 279 yds.

BisonBacker
October 2nd, 2014, 11:30 AM
This will be the first step in this years process to determine where ISU really is competitively in the valley. Are they are contender or pretender. I see improvement from last year but I still don't think they are a contender.

JayJ79
October 2nd, 2014, 02:26 PM
If you look at google earth view of the stadium, you will see that it is configured from NW to SE. so the wind will be blowing from the corner where the bleachers meets the locker room. The stadium is also hollow in the back and elevated about 10 feet or so from the ground sooooo....it acts like a big "bellows". wind blows in the huge back, and out a 10-15ft area much faster. It will mess kickers up. I doubt it will mess our QB up as much.

so there is a chance that UNI's kicker might have his first missed kick of the year? (12-12 FG, 15-15 XP)

Stadiums that are aligned E-W are weird.

Sycamore62
October 2nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
so there is a chance that UNI's kicker might have his first missed kick of the year? (12-12 FG, 15-15 XP)

Stadiums that are aligned E-W are weird.

Ya, the wind is weird there. ive seen it blowing 2 different directions between the upright and the flag which are less than 20yds apart.

Yes E-W fields are weird. if you google maps the stadium you can see how it was a baseball field back in the day. the outfield wall is still there. I guess thats why it's configured the direction it is because you can also see that there is plenty of room to put it N-S

clenz
October 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM

Stadiums that are aligned E-W are weird.those that aren't even square to E/W are even more weird.

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 02:42 PM
come on Jay...you know that won't happen!

Sycamore62
October 2nd, 2014, 02:42 PM

1st - UNI 10 Ind St. 7
Halftime - UNI 24-ISU 14
3rd - UNI 31 ISU - 17
Game - UNI 38-17.

UNI - Kollmorgen - 19-28, 268 yds. 3 TDs, Johnson 26 Carries for 123 yds. 2 TDs, 2 Receptions for 78 yds, 1 TD.

In the games so far, I feel like our defense has gotten better as the game has gone on. I have no stats to back this up, just the feel I have got from them. IF UNI wins, I think it will be by the margin they build in the 1st qtr. 2 scoreless qtrs wouldnt surprise me.

UNI Pike
October 2nd, 2014, 03:01 PM
Margin would likely come in 2nd quarter. It seems that is where we score the majority of our points to date.

achrist70
October 2nd, 2014, 03:02 PM
This is a game that scares me, before the season I thought no chance of us losing, I think we do have the best secondary that the Trees have face, and the best running back you will face. I think UNI takes the show on the road and wins in an uncomfortable game 31-21

UNIFanSince1983
October 2nd, 2014, 03:05 PM
Margin would likely come in 2nd quarter. It seems that is where we score the majority of our points to date.

46.9% of our points are in the 2nd quarter to be exact.

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 06:53 PM
For your viewing pleasure.

Score by quarters
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

UNI

Opponents

Indiana St. 27 49 24 35 135
Opponents 13 24 20 13 70

clenz
October 2nd, 2014, 07:03 PM
The nifty thing about UNI's second half scoring stats are the starters on offense didn't play at all in the second half last week and only about half the third quarter against UNC

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 07:16 PM
and their 4th quarter opponents total really should be only 3 as I don't count that fluke 84 yd TD run against 3rd stringers that accounted for 80% of their offense for the day.

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 07:27 PM
Some more stats for you. UNI has not given up a 4th Quarter TD since losing to Iowa 31-23. Starters only played 4.5 quarters out of 8 this season.

3rd Quarter
UNI 7 Iowa 7
4th Quarter
UNI 3 Iowa 7

3rd Quarter
UNI 0 Hawaii 7
4th Quarter
UNI 14 Hawaii 3

3rd Quarter
UNI 3 No. Colorado 7
4th Quarter
UNI 7 No. Colorado 0

3rd Quarter
UNI 13 Ten. Tech 7
4th Quarter
UNI 3 Ten. Tech 0

SIUSalukiFan
October 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM
If it hadn't been for injuries and bad officiating Northern Iowa would have been undefeated over the past decade.

underdawg
October 2nd, 2014, 07:34 PM
For your viewing pleasure.

Score by quarters
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

UNI

Opponents

Indiana St. 27 49 24 35 135
Opponents 13 24 20 13 70

Interesting Here's SIU scoring by quarter

Quarter----> 1 2 3 4

SIU--------->56 41 48 35

Opponent--->34 49 6 7

If we could just get rid of that darn third quarter

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 07:36 PM
In comparison -

Indiana State did not score in the 3rd Q against Liberty, and has only outscored one of their 3 opponents in the 3rd (Indiana 7-0)

They didn't score in the 4th against Indiana and have scored two touchdowns twice (TTU, Liberty).

The Sycs best chance is to be within a score going into the 4th as they have only let 2 teams score on them (Indiana (7) and Liberty (6).

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 07:44 PM
If it hadn't been for injuries and bad officiating Northern Iowa would have been undefeated over the past decade.

Big contributor but not true. Offensive and defensive play calling in crunch time has killed us. Playing a prevent defense with a minute to go to play for the national championship with a very efficient offense (Richmond 08). Run Run Run punt anytime we have a lead of 1 or more in the 2nd half against a "better opponent" Love our OC sometimes..other times...I think I could do a better job. I really think Clenz and I should be coordinators for UNI. I ran my schools offense the last 6 years...pretty efficient I thought! :)

SIUSalukiFan
October 2nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Big contributor but not true. Offensive and defensive play calling in crunch time has killed us. Playing a prevent defense with a minute to go to play for the national championship with a very efficient offense (Richmond 08). Run Run Run punt anytime we have a lead of 1 or more in the 2nd half against a "better opponent" Love our OC sometimes..other times...I think I could do a better job. I really think Clenz and I should be coordinators for UNI. I ran my schools offense the last 6 years...pretty efficient I thought! :)

It could be argued UNI wouldn't be in very many crunch times if not for the offensive and defensive play calling that occurs during the majority of games.

clenz
October 2nd, 2014, 08:10 PM
It could be argued UNI wouldn't be in very many crunch times if not for the offensive and defensive play calling that occurs during the majority of games.
You mean like not being afraid to curb stomp someone? Because our OC sure as hell us. He must be a form believer in not trying to run any score up Because I've uni has a lead after halftime the offense shuts down.

If he would just crush the throat when he had a chance in games uni would have a much, much, better record the last 7 years

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 08:12 PM
true :)

Going back to the game. We were discussing the 2nd Quarter being the key quarter. I took the time to look up UNIs scoring of each quarter the last 10 years 2004-2013 (this year excluded).

1st - 903
2nd -1095
3rd - 796
4th - 805
OT - 35 (only played overtime games in 4 seasons 2005, 2011, 2013)

In every season but 3 we scored more points in the 2nd Q than 1st. (2004(finished 7-4 missed playoffs), 2006(7-4 missed playoffs), 2010(7-5 lost to Lehigh 1st round and we really shouldn't of even been in the playoffs))

So far this season keeps with the trend! In the last 10 years our highest 2nd Q output was in 2005 but only thanks to playing 15 games. (164) Exclude the playoffs that year - 43pts (121 for the regular season.) We are well on pace to crush that number.

SIUSalukiFan
October 2nd, 2014, 08:28 PM
You mean like not being afraid to curb stomp someone? Because our OC sure as hell us. He must be a form believer in not trying to run any score up Because I've uni has a lead after halftime the offense shuts down.

If he would just crush the throat when he had a chance in games uni would have a much, much, better record the last 7 years

Here's a funny story ...

The year had to be 2001. I'm pretty sure Kill was in his first or second year at SIU. Anyway, the Salukis weren't very good and UNI was undefeated and ranked in the top five when the two teams met at the UNI Dome. I was there. Anyway, you guys had a late lead (18-13, I think, thanks to a Mike Furrey punt return for TD) and SIU was driving down the field for a potential big upset. We had a 4th-and-2 at the UNI 30 and SIU ran an off-tackle play that was stuffed, and the Panthers held on for the win.

Anyway, I wondered WTF SIU was doing running a simple off-tackle play in such a big situation. I was fortunate enough at the time to have access to the football staff, and I was shown film of the play in question the following week. Not only was it a great play call, but SIU should have scored a TD. One missed assignment kept what looked to be a very conservative play call into a big upset.

The moral to my story? What happens on the field isn't always the fault of coaches.

clenz
October 2nd, 2014, 08:30 PM
Here's a funny story ...

The year had to be 2002. I'm pretty sure Kill was in his second year at SIU. Anyway, the Salukis weren't very good and UNI was undefeated and ranked in the top five when the two teams met at the UNI Dome. I was there. Anyway, you guys had a late lead (18-13, I think, thanks to a Mike Furrey punt return for TD) and SIU was driving down the field for a potential big upset. We had a 4th-and-2 at the UNI 30 and SIU ran an off-tackle play that was stuffed, and the Panthers held on for the win.

Anyway, I wondered WTF SIU was doing running a simple off-tackle play in such a big situation. I was fortunate enough at the time to have access to the football staff, and I was shown film of the play in question the following week. Not only was it a great play call, but SIU should have scored a TD. One missed assignment kept what looked to be a very conservative play call into a big upset.

The moral to my story? What happens on the field isn't always the fault of coaches.
It is when it's the same issues year after year after year after year with the same coaches.

There's a difference between a blown assignment and watching the same exact issues no matter the personnel

SIUSalukiFan
October 2nd, 2014, 08:34 PM
It is when it's the same issues year after year after year after year with the same coaches.

There's a difference between a blown assignment and watching the same exact issues no matter the personnel

I'm not trolling you guys. I respect the hell out of UNI and enjoy the heck out every trip I make to Cedar Falls.

But here's a fact - Since 2008 UNI has won more than eight games in a season ONE time. Perhaps the issue is deeper than crunch-time play calling? xpeacex

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 08:45 PM
I'm not trolling you guys. I respect the hell out of UNI and enjoy the heck out every trip I make to Cedar Falls.

But here's a fact - Since 2008 UNI has won more than eight games in a season ONE time. Perhaps the issue is deeper than crunch-time play calling? xpeacex

well we do have the even year curse. Its freaky. Although I think that was broken one time. 2004 (7-4), 2006 (7-4 after national runner up in 05), 2008 broke the streak (10-3, blew our national title chance with prevent defense with a minute left and 80 yards of field) (year after going 13-1 losing to Joe Flacco in the semis). 2010 (5-6 after 2009 going 7-3). 2012 (5-6 after going 10-3 and quarterfinalists in 2011). 2013...hopefully the curse was lifted finally with a bad showing last year.

clenz
October 2nd, 2014, 08:52 PM

If you watched the play calling you'd know what.

I'm not kidding when i say that it's that bad. Our OC can't figure out how to get out of the way of the talent.

Once i can get back to a computer tomorrow I'll post some examples.

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 09:40 PM
clenz and I have discussed this UNI OC problem ourselves. I agree on some levels its the coordinators fault but also believe that the players are the ones running the plays and can audible easily. A lot of the time they are just at easy to blame/praise as the OC. When you have the talent that we believe we have this year...it shouldn't necessarily matter what the coach calls. If you are as good as you believe you are...you'll make something out of nothing or be flexible and make some outstanding plays. Now as for coaching...when you call for a dive play 3 times in a row to establish your running game or to be conservative in the 3rd quarter to run the clock out with a 1 TD lead is beyond me. Or to call a pass play where all the receivers routes are 3-7 yards when you need 12 for the first.

SIUSalukiFan
October 2nd, 2014, 09:55 PM
clenz and I have discussed this UNI OC problem ourselves. I agree on some levels its the coordinators fault but also believe that the players are the ones running the plays and can audible easily. A lot of the time they are just at easy to blame/praise as the OC. When you have the talent that we believe we have this year...it shouldn't necessarily matter what the coach calls. If you are as good as you believe you are...you'll make something out of nothing or be flexible and make some outstanding plays. Now as for coaching...when you call for a dive play 3 times in a row to establish your running game or to be conservative in the 3rd quarter to run the clock out with a 1 TD lead is beyond me. Or to call a pass play where all the receivers routes are 3-7 yards when you need 12 for the first.

A couple of years ago SIU lost at home, 51-41, to Missouri State and immediately after the game some numbskull started a thread on Saluki Nation calling for the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR to be fired.

I just get a kick of perceptions by fans and sometimes, even the media. Ned Yost was universally ripped Monday night for bringing in a rookie pitcher in the 6th inning of the wild-card playoff game when Kansas City was leading by a run but nobody said much about a fact a rookie pitcher pitched the 10th and 11th innings and started the 12th for the Royals. The difference? The first rookie gave up a three-run homer, while the second rookie pitched two scoreless innings. xlolx

Houndawg
October 2nd, 2014, 09:57 PM

There is not a fan board in existence that doesn't blame the teams troubles on the OC. Our last OC stunk up the MVC for way too long.

SIUSalukiFan
October 2nd, 2014, 10:02 PM
There is not a fan board in existence that doesn't blame the teams troubles on the OC. Our last OC stunk up the MVC for way too long.

Yeah, we averaged 28.5 points and 400 yards of offense a game last year with a second-string QB at the helm for half the year. We were brutal. xlolx

You got your wish - DeBoer is gone.

Sycamore62
October 2nd, 2014, 10:14 PM
Well I'm ok with it if your OC wants to take a big ***** saturday

unigriff
October 2nd, 2014, 10:27 PM
Just watch 62...if UNI is up after half by I say...at least 10. Watch how conservative we play. Defensively we'll be aggressive all day. Watch how many dives we run.

knucklehead
October 3rd, 2014, 08:14 AM
Cheering for Indiana State the rest of the season. I think this team gives the rest of the MVFC fits. Record? who knows.

Sycamore62
October 3rd, 2014, 08:40 AM
Just watch 62...if UNI is up after half by I say...at least 10. Watch how conservative we play. Defensively we'll be aggressive all day. Watch how many dives we run.

Oh, I'm only joking around. I haven't seen you guys play since you hit Shakir in the head and cost us a win at your place in 2011. kind of joking there.

I wonder if you looked at everyone's scoring, if the 2nd qtr would be the highest scoring quarter. you tend to have drives finish in the 2nd qtr that started in the 1st. then in blowout situations, teams wouldnt be as apt to try to score in the 4th qtr.

at any rate, even with all your statistics, im just saying, I think our defense plays slow to start. They have done a great job adjusting or continuing to play at a high (read: not tired) level.

your and I figure our best bet is to strike early.

unigriff
October 3rd, 2014, 09:23 AM
Yes, I'm sure a large percentage of teams score more in the 2nd Q than any other Q. 2 main reasons...finishing off 2 or 3rd drives at the end of the 1st lapping over to the 2nd and making adjustments after the first 4-5 drives of the game leads to better opportunities after you brush the rust off of the start of a game. I don't want to look it up but I'd love to see the percentage of points scored in said quarter via home and away games.

unigriff
October 3rd, 2014, 09:25 AM
man!!! why does there have to be a wedding tomorrow i have to work! Gonna miss out!

JayJ79
October 3rd, 2014, 12:50 PM

UNI FB 2009-2013: ONE season with 8+ wins, 36 total wins
SIU FB 2009-2013: ONE season with 8+ wins, 33 total wins

SIUSalukiFan
October 3rd, 2014, 12:54 PM
UNI FB 2009-2013: ONE season with 8+ wins, 36 total wins
SIU FB 2009-2013: ONE season with 8+ wins, 33 total wins

When you hear me complaining about SIU's coaching and coordinators performance in crunch time then the Salukis' record over the last five years becomes integral to this discussion.

Thanks for playing.

clenz
October 3rd, 2014, 01:39 PM
clenz and I have discussed this UNI OC problem ourselves. I agree on some levels its the coordinators fault but also believe that the players are the ones running the plays and can audible easily. A lot of the time they are just at easy to blame/praise as the OC. When you have the talent that we believe we have this year...it shouldn't necessarily matter what the coach calls. If you are as good as you believe you are...you'll make something out of nothing or be flexible and make some outstanding plays. Now as for coaching...when you call for a dive play 3 times in a row to establish your running game or to be conservative in the 3rd quarter to run the clock out with a 1 TD lead is beyond me. Or to call a pass play where all the receivers routes are 3-7 yards when you need 12 for the first.Griff, name one season outside of 07 (with 3 NFL OL, one of the best passing QBs in FCS history...owns the career completion % record...and one of the top 3 RB in school history) and part of 08 (much the same team as 07 in many areas) seasons you felt the offense, and the talent on the offense, were properly used.

- - - Updated - - -

When you hear me complaining about SIU's coaching and coordinators performance in crunch time then the Salukis' record over the last five years becomes integral to this discussion.

Thanks for playing.
Same at UNI.

Sycamore62
October 3rd, 2014, 01:42 PM
I wonder who will win between SIU and UNI this week

Houndawg
October 3rd, 2014, 02:48 PM
Yeah, we averaged 28.5 points and 400 yards of offense a game last year with a second-string QB at the helm for half the year. We were brutal. xlolx

You got your wish - DeBoer is gone.

And look at how our second half performance has blossomed. xnodx

DL waited longer than he should have to upgrade his staff. Edit- About three years ago we scored something like three offensive TDs in the 2nd half. De Boer could write a script OK but he couldn't adjust to the adjustments. Just the opposite this year.

UNIFanSince1983
October 3rd, 2014, 04:22 PM
Man can't wait until 2pm tomorrow! This game scares the crap out of me. Not only is ISUb a good team, but we have lost our last two MVFC openers which were also on the road.

I haven't decided if it helps us or hurts us that we haven't seen the Trees for 2 years. On one hand we haven't seen them for a while so we have no idea what to really expect. On the other hand they were so bad last year that maybe it is good we didn't play them. Our guys can focus on how good they are this year as opposed to how bad they were last year.

Should be a heck of a game, and can't wait!

Go Panthers!!

Sycamore62
October 3rd, 2014, 11:04 PM
Reffed a high school game tonight. The wind made it the coldest 46 degrees I can remember. I hope the sun makes it feel warmer in the stands

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2014, 08:59 AM
0% chance of rain.....I assume that means it will rain all dayxeyebrowx
Looks like about a 1 club wind

unigriff
October 4th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Its game day! let's rock!

underdawg
October 4th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Is there some sort of free link for this game?

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Is there some sort of free link for this game?

Not that I have found. If you pay for it you might pick the UNI feed. The ISU one has always been buggy

clenz
October 4th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Not that I have found. If you pay for it you might pick the UNI feed. The ISU one has always been buggy
UNI is just pulling ISUs i believe

X-Factor
October 4th, 2014, 02:19 PM
7-zip Trees after the kick

Twentysix
October 4th, 2014, 02:21 PM
7-zip Trees after the kick

Neither team is the terrirers?

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2014, 02:26 PM
The wind is significant.

centennial
October 4th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I have seen both teams play, ISUb should take it in a close one. However, I did pick UNI. Don't disappoint me UNI.

dwtime
October 4th, 2014, 02:33 PM
5 yd TD pass to Taylor for UNH. UNH leads 41-0

X-Factor
October 4th, 2014, 02:34 PM
well....MVFC is interesting so far.... 14-0 blue and 14-0 red and knocking at the door

McNeese75
October 4th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Its game day! let's rock!

It's early but it looks like somebody is getting rocked

X-Factor
October 4th, 2014, 03:03 PM
UNI wakes up, 14-6 with PAT pending

Guardshock
October 4th, 2014, 03:25 PM
14-13 ISU. 1:02 left in the half ISU ball all 3 time outs

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2014, 03:30 PM
The int before the last fg rolled out of his hand. Funny that went against us last time i saw it

Guardshock
October 4th, 2014, 05:02 PM
20-19 ISU 2:12 left in the 4th quarter. UNI ball at 25

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Fire the coordinators!

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Any updates?! Anywhere?

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Uni has ball on ISU 34 with 54 sec left

Guardshock
October 4th, 2014, 05:17 PM
ISU WINS 20-19!!! UNI MISSED THE FINAL FG!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Wow big win for the Trees

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Congrats ISUb

Bisonator
October 4th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Holy ****!

GoAgs72
October 4th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Great win for Indiana State. I had hoped to have a poll with every team having a winning record by now. What to do with UNI?

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 05:24 PM
What the hell? UNI goes down to the Trees? Now NDSU has a chance of going down to WIU? Ugh.

JayJ79
October 4th, 2014, 05:26 PM
karmic payback for all the UNI fans that were belittling Indiana State

(or just the fact that InSU is a decent team, and UNI is not the big time team that people thought they were, at least they lack a big time O line and QB. Not sure why they didn't decline the illegal formation against InSU late in the game after they had successfully defended the play anyway)

IndyTreeFan
October 4th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Well, clenz, how will you spin this one? Cause your team just got beat by a team you've been saying sucks all season. Thanks for playing!

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Congrats, Trees.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Great job Trees!!!

I'm eating some crow. Very good win.

UNH Fanboi
October 4th, 2014, 05:37 PM
So is UNI gonna miss the playoffs again?

ISUalum
October 4th, 2014, 05:46 PM
agree 100%, can't wait to see how Clenzie spins this loss, Jay was right, Karma bit you UNI fans who belittled Indiana State this year. Good luck the rest of the season

Well, clenz, how will you spin this one? Cause your team just got beat by a team you've been saying sucks all season. Thanks for playing!

Pant8her
October 4th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Congrats to ISU and your coaching staff that did a great job against a decent UNI team.
BTW, a lot of folks are eating crow, and it tastes like c#@p....

Good luck the rest of the way in the MVFC, it is going to be a tough b!$#* of a conference schedule.
I guess the MVFC only gets two teams in the playoffs this season.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Great job ISUb!

UNI Pike
October 4th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Congrats to the trees. They did enough to find a way to win.

I would like to say that if UNI win that game, it would have been a stolen W. That said, I and others are fairly irate with the coaching staff at this point. That last possession made made the healthcare.gov rollout look flawless. That was just a symptom of a staff that need some fresh blood (not on the defense side).

Twentysix
October 4th, 2014, 06:17 PM
So is UNI gonna miss the playoffs again?

Yes. if UNI loses two more they are out imo. SDSU and UNI are both on the ropes for the playoffs imo.

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2014, 06:22 PM
agree 100%, can't wait to see how Clenzie spins this loss, Jay was right, Karma bit you UNI fans who belittled Indiana State this year. Good luck the rest of the season

No worries, more spin coming than a North Korea news article on the fine leadership of Kim Jong Un.

UNI Pike
October 4th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Think clenz was the only one flapping gums. Most of us were perplexed to what team we have.

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Hey everybody. Whats up.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Can someone send Clenz a text for a quick welfare check? xlolx

UNI Pike
October 4th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I think he is curbstomping the sycamore trees in his front yard

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 07:14 PM
The UNI-SDSU game is now huge, could be an elimination game.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 07:15 PM
The UNI-SDSU game is now huge, could be an elimination game.

It is at this point....need the DI wins...end of story....and the winner of that needs to beat NDSU too.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Texted Clenz for a welfare check...still no reply. Eek.

Professor Chaos
October 4th, 2014, 07:25 PM
It is at this point....need the DI wins...end of story....and the winner of that needs to beat NDSU too.
Nah, not yet. Either could lose that game and still get to 6-2 in conference with 8 D1 wins. The loser of that game does give themselves little if any margin for error. SDSU is looking especially shaky with road games at UNI, NDSU, and ISUb still to come.

FargoBison
October 4th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Nah, not yet. Either could lose that game and still get to 6-2 in conference with 8 D1 wins. The loser of that game does give themselves little if any margin for error. SDSU is looking especially shaky with road games at UNI, NDSU, and ISUb still to come.

Yep loser basically has to win out and that would be quite the mountain to climb.

SD4ever
October 4th, 2014, 07:27 PM
UNI will not have it easy next week on Dakota Day.

centennial
October 4th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Hello clenz. UNI #1?

X-Factor
October 4th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Hello clenz. UNI #1?

Clenz has been on record with UNI at #2 (and I'm sure it will be interesting to hear the spin on why they shouldn't drop very much), only because he ISN'T ALLOWED to vote UNI #1.

UNI is a dangerous team for anyone in the valley at this point, just not consistent enough to be much of a deep-run playoff team.

marenlee
October 4th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Clenz has been on record with UNI at #2 (and I'm sure it will be interesting to hear the spin on why they shouldn't drop very much), only because he ISN'T ALLOWED to vote UNI #1.

UNI is a dangerous team for anyone in the valley at this point, just not consistent enough to be much of a deep-run playoff team.

There's no way even Clenz could put them in the top 10 now. Right??? Best 3 loss team ever through 5 games? :D

Daved
October 4th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Clenz won't have the luxury this year of having YSU find a way to lose to them.

centennial
October 4th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Clenz won't have the luxury this year of having YSU find a way to lose to them.
You sure?

SIUSalukiFan
October 4th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Northern Iowa is still a top-five team and should be treated that way. FCS' most complete roster is being sabotaged by inept play calling by the offensive and defensive coordinators.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Northern Iowa is still a top-five team and should be treated that way. FCS' most complete roster is being sabotaged by inept play calling by the offensive and defensive coordinators.

xlolx

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM
You sure?

Since they don't play I would say the probability is zero unless it is in the playoffs

JayJ79
October 4th, 2014, 09:38 PM
UNI should swap places in the polls w/ InSU
as should SDSU and IlSU

Daved
October 4th, 2014, 09:41 PM
You sure?Sure as the sun will come up tomorrow--but only because they don't play this year:D

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2014, 10:59 PM
What a game. I was about to stroke out. FG landed at the top of the letters in the endzone. I was stunned when they came out in the FG formation. The kicker had a leg though. I was surprised he made the 30yd fg earlier into the wind. That wind had a significant effect on the passing game both ways. It caused the ISU interception on the UNI sideline right before the half (very questionable call). The targeting foul near the end was legit. Worst part was the player went out of his way to do it. Could have hit lower and did a better job trying to get the ball out.

unigriff
October 5th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Well I just got back from work and had gamecasted the game. I knew when my gamecast wouldn't update on 4th down we lost. I didn't even need an update. I've had that happen before. I don't know what the conditions were...windy it sounds like with no rain. I don't know how well the 48 yd FG was good (would he have made it from further going the same direction? (Was the 48 yder at the same end of the field as the missed 53? It seems from what I saw on gamecast UNI started out super slow and couldn't get going til too late. With 9 minutes left in the game UNI up 19-13 i said. 2 more stops and we win. I didn't know the scoring play was a trick play...please tell me it wasn't a flea flicker!?

If what i rambled about earlier about the FGs can relate to this then as a coach, pending on the situation (again I don't exactly know what it was), you have a FG kicker who hasn't missed all season, and made it from 48 earlier in the game; Why not go for it? It was 4th n 12. With a windy day and your passing offense kind of "off" your kicker was the best option. People on PN are calling for the coaches heads because of that call. (again I can't say if I agree or not because I don't have the info).

Great game Trees. I knew it would be a hard game. Stat wise, UNI in the end won every category except passing yards. Defense came to play causing 4 turnovers and gave up less than 300 yds of offense. In the end the trick play won the game. Great job. Onto next week.

Houndawg
October 5th, 2014, 07:50 AM

We haven't played them for two seasons and when I saw the schedule I thanked the football gods for sending us a cupcake for our homecoming. I need to have another talk with them..:(

Sycamore62
October 5th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Well I just got back from work and had gamecasted the game. I knew when my gamecast wouldn't update on 4th down we lost. I didn't even need an update. I've had that happen before. I don't know what the conditions were...windy it sounds like with no rain. I don't know how well the 48 yd FG was good (would he have made it from further going the same direction? (Was the 48 yder at the same end of the field as the missed 53? It seems from what I saw on gamecast UNI started out super slow and couldn't get going til too late. With 9 minutes left in the game UNI up 19-13 i said. 2 more stops and we win. I didn't know the scoring play was a trick play...please tell me it wasn't a flea flicker!?

If what i rambled about earlier about the FGs can relate to this then as a coach, pending on the situation (again I don't exactly know what it was), you have a FG kicker who hasn't missed all season, and made it from 48 earlier in the game; Why not go for it? It was 4th n 12. With a windy day and your passing offense kind of "off" your kicker was the best option. People on PN are calling for the coaches heads because of that call. (again I can't say if I agree or not because I don't have the info).

Great game Trees. I knew it would be a hard game. Stat wise, UNI in the end won every category except passing yards. Defense came to play causing 4 turnovers and gave up less than 300 yds of offense. In the end the trick play won the game. Great job. Onto next week.

Regarding the decision to kick the FG. At the time I thought it was crazy, in the air you could see the wind grab it. Looking back on it, the only FG kicked at that end(only score by both teams) was 30yd and he made that like it was nothing, I was surprised it was so easy. If he is the kickoff kicker he had kicked the previous kickoff into the endzone, I wasn't watching so I don't know how it got there. I'd say if he was 7-10 yds closer he makes it. The illegal touching call probably cost the game. On the 2pt conversion I honestly thought the Int was going for 2 for UNI. The last ISU TD was just a double pass that looked like a lot of our screens. We actually ran a flea flicker in the 1st half(I think)

This has the youtube highlight video. It has the TD and the missed FG

http://www.gosycamores.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209697071&DB_OEM_ID=15200

UNIFanSince1983
October 5th, 2014, 09:58 AM
We dug a big hole at the beginning getting down 14 points. Credit Indiana State on that one as they came out and just punched us in the mouth early. They looked like they wanted the game more. Luckily we came back, but the inability to punch it into the endzone finally caught up with us. Indiana State is a great team and will give many teams in this conference trouble. Our defense played well after the first couple of drives.

I am not questioning the call to kick. All season our kicker has been better than our quarterback even though it was into the wind I thought he could hit it. He had touchbacks even when kicking into the wind so he has a strong leg. The illegal touching cost us too much. It cost us a down, and pushed us back out of field goal range. We had other opportunities, but Indiana State shut the door once we reached the redzone.

I am not like the other UNI fans that think we have so much talent. I am beginning to think after the last few years the talent might not be there. DJ many times yesterday was hit in the backfield. In fact most of his runs were him breaking the first tackle in the backfield and then going from there. Our line is suspect. Our quarterback is mediocre, and finally our DBs are fairly suspect as well. How many times does Dorleant get to be beat?

The better team won yesterday and congrats to the Trees.

Houndawg
October 5th, 2014, 10:39 AM
We dug a big hole at the beginning getting down 14 points. Credit Indiana State on that one as they came out and just punched us in the mouth early. They looked like they wanted the game more. Luckily we came back, but the inability to punch it into the endzone finally caught up with us. Indiana State is a great team and will give many teams in this conference trouble. Our defense played well after the first couple of drives.

I am not questioning the call to kick. All season our kicker has been better than our quarterback even though it was into the wind I thought he could hit it. He had touchbacks even when kicking into the wind so he has a strong leg. The illegal touching cost us too much. It cost us a down, and pushed us back out of field goal range. We had other opportunities, but Indiana State shut the door once we reached the redzone.

I am not like the other UNI fans that think we have so much talent. I am beginning to think after the last few years the talent might not be there. DJ many times yesterday was hit in the backfield. In fact most of his runs were him breaking the first tackle in the backfield and then going from there. Our line is suspect. Our quarterback is mediocre, and finally our DBs are fairly suspect as well. How many times does Dorleant get to be beat?

Depends on the pass rush.

SIUSalukiFan
October 5th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I am not like the other UNI fans that think we have so much talent. I am beginning to think after the last few years the talent might not be there.

UNI is still a very good football team. But, maybe the world around the Panthers has changed? That's what I argue on the SIU boards all of the time (with little success :))

Many of our fans are still stuck in the Jerry Kill Era. They think SIU should win every conference game 48-10, we should beat every FCS team we play (thanks to beating Indiana and Northern Illinois back in the day), Dale Lennon is over-matched as a coach, our glorified high-school stadium should entice great recruits from all over the country to want to re-locate to Carbondale, IL and there is a hot-shot FBS assistant out there who can lead us to multiple national championships. It's comical.

What they don't realize - and here's what's relevant to UNI fans - is today's Valley is much, much different than it was 10 years ago. Everybody is solid. When the team at the bottom of the league standings (South Dakota) is coached by Joe Glenn you know you have a tough league.

They also don't realize other programs aren't standing pat. Losing to Eastern Illinois and SE Missouri during the Lennon Era is a mortal sin for some but the teams that beat us went to the playoffs.

And, when schools at our level are forced to play FBS foes to pay the bills (and you guys played two this year) it gives you little margin for error.

Just one man's opinion.

JayJ79
October 5th, 2014, 01:45 PM
UNI is still a very good football team. But, maybe the world around the Panthers has changed? That's what I argue on the SIU boards all of the time (with little success :))

Many of our fans are still stuck in the Jerry Kill Era. They think SIU should win every conference game 48-10, we should beat every FCS team we play (thanks to beating Indiana and Northern Illinois back in the day), Dale Lennon is over-matched as a coach, our glorified high-school stadium should entice great recruits from all over the country to want to re-locate to Carbondale, IL and there is a hot-shot FBS assistant out there who can lead us to multiple national championships. It's comical.

What they don't realize - and here's what's relevant to UNI fans - is today's Valley is much, much different than it was 10 years ago. Everybody is solid. When the team at the bottom of the league standings (South Dakota) is coached by Joe Glenn you know you have a tough league.

They also don't realize other programs aren't standing pat. Losing to Eastern Illinois and SE Missouri during the Lennon Era is a mortal sin for some but the teams that beat us went to the playoffs.

And, when schools at our level are forced to play FBS foes to pay the bills (and you guys played two this year) it gives you little margin for error.

Just one man's opinion.

logic isn't allowed in the UNI "fan"base. Neither is being supportive of the team after a loss.

SIUSalukiFan
October 5th, 2014, 01:50 PM
logic isn't allowed in the UNI "fan"base. Neither is being supportive of the team after a loss.

It's not allowed at SIU, either. We still have guys bitching and moaning about our performance at Purdue. :)

penguinpower
October 5th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Hope Clenz didn't do anything too drastic. He must be completely baffled. I was not expecting a loss after watching them play the last few weeks
Odd game

Daved
October 5th, 2014, 03:09 PM
logic isn't allowed in the UNI "fan"base. Neither is being supportive of the team after a loss.Unfortunately this applies to just about any team, however the posts by Unigriff and UNIFanSince 1983 show that there is some class and team support after a tough loss.Bandwagons always fill up fast when a team is on a hot streak.

SIUSalukiFan
October 5th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Unfortunately this applies to just about any team, however the posts by Unigriff and UNIFanSince 1983 show that there is some class and team support after a tough loss.Bandwagons always fill up fast when a team is on a hot streak.

Bandwagons also empty fast with a few losses or a bad season or two.

Daved
October 5th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Bandwagons also empty fast with a few losses or a bad season or two.Yep---like a stampede!

Jason Svoboda
October 5th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Appreciate the kind words. Your kicker is absolutely fantastic and if it was a calm day, you'd have went home with the win.

Sycamore62
October 5th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Here's my take. I think UNI has potential to win 6 of 7 amd make the playoffs. You guys are basing your assessment on losing to a team that was 1-11 last year, not a solid team that lost 11 games last year due to the worst bunch of injuries I have heard of on a team that had almost no depth.

Bisonator
October 5th, 2014, 09:23 PM
I'm worried about clenz. I mean after the debacle the Vikes put on in Green Bay Thursday night and then UNI's loss yesterday I hope he didn't do anything drastic.

Houndawg
October 5th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Here's my take. I think UNI has potential to win 6 of 7 amd make the playoffs. You guys are basing your assessment on losing to a team that was 1-11 last year, not a solid team that lost 11 games last year due to the worst bunch of injuries I have heard of on a team that had almost no depth.

No doubt they have the potential, but that's a tough row to hoe. They still have NDSU, who they can beat, and SIU, who they can beat but not in Carbondale. I think your take on injuries is going to apply in hopefully lesser extent to the whole MVC. SIU's last six games are against ranked opponents, ditto other MVC teams. Whoever gets in will be limping in to the playoffs.

underdawg
October 5th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Er, they might get a close game at Vermillion IMO

Sycamore62
October 5th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Oh, I'm only joking around. I haven't seen you guys play since you hit Shakir in the head and cost us a win at your place in 2011. kind of joking there.

I wonder if you looked at everyone's scoring, if the 2nd qtr would be the highest scoring quarter. you tend to have drives finish in the 2nd qtr that started in the 1st. then in blowout situations, teams wouldnt be as apt to try to score in the 4th qtr.

at any rate, even with all your statistics, im just saying, I think our defense plays slow to start. They have done a great job adjusting or continuing to play at a high (read: not tired) level.

your and I figure our best bet is to strike early.

I guess this worked

unigriff
October 6th, 2014, 01:10 AM
While I was a superfan in college. I'm also a coach, official and analysis. I understand the game from almost all points. Of course I always my Panthers to win and believe they should most the time but I believe that there is more to blame than a coach or staff, college athletes who are just kids and the officials. So many things go into a game and a result.

Thanks for showing me the video. Perish had some real tight and nice passes. Best I've seen him throw all year.

I don't think Kollmorgen is our problem. Our problem is our line production. We can't get any push in the run game on a consistent basis and our pass blocking is suspect at times. Our one key for this season was to finish drives. We settled for way to many FGs last year and we are already on pace to crush that stat this year and not in a good way. Good luck to the Sycs the rest of the way. knock some other guys off. Let's have a 4 way tie at the top!

UNIFanSince1983
October 6th, 2014, 07:36 AM
While I was a superfan in college. I'm also a coach, official and analysis. I understand the game from almost all points. Of course I always my Panthers to win and believe they should most the time but I believe that there is more to blame than a coach or staff, college athletes who are just kids and the officials. So many things go into a game and a result.

Thanks for showing me the video. Perish had some real tight and nice passes. Best I've seen him throw all year.

I don't think Kollmorgen is our problem. Our problem is our line production. We can't get any push in the run game on a consistent basis and our pass blocking is suspect at times. Our one key for this season was to finish drives. We settled for way to many FGs last year and we are already on pace to crush that stat this year and not in a good way. Good luck to the Sycs the rest of the way. knock some other guys off. Let's have a 4 way tie at the top!

The line play has been horrendous all year. That has been our biggest problem all year for sure. Kollmorgen has been inconsistent, but that could be traced back to line play.

Some things need to be fixed, but I am sure we can get this thing turned around.

semobison
October 6th, 2014, 08:11 AM

Yep, we can talk x's and o's all we want but football games are usually won in the trenches!

Sycamore62
October 6th, 2014, 12:00 PM

1st - UNI 10 Ind St. 7
Halftime - UNI 24-ISU 14
3rd - UNI 31 ISU - 17
Game - UNI 38-17.

So it went like this
1st - UNI 0 Ind St. 14
Halftime UNI 13 ISU 14
3rd UNI 16-14
Game UNI 19-20

UNI - Kollmorgen 16-35 158yds 1 int. Johnson 24-127yds
Total Offense 320 (158P/162R)

ISU- Perish 22-32 193yds 1 int Logan 17-62yds 1td
Total Offense 313 (231P/82R) (2 lost fumbles)

my app didnt have defense stats

Jason Svoboda
October 6th, 2014, 12:56 PM
So it went like this
1st - UNI 0 Ind St. 14
Halftime UNI 13 ISU 14
3rd UNI 16-14
Game UNI 19-20

UNI - Kollmorgen 16-35 158yds 1 int. Johnson 24-127yds
Total Offense 320 (158P/162R)

ISU- Perish 22-32 193yds 1 int Logan 17-62yds 1td
Total Offense 313 (231P/82R) (2 lost fumbles)

my app didnt have defense stats

UNI 2 sacks, 7 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF, 2 FR, 2 PBU, 2 QBH
ISU 1 sack, 7 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF, 5 PBU and 2 QBH

Sycamore62
October 6th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I feel like this thread is missing comments from someone

unigriff
October 6th, 2014, 03:49 PM
See other than the final score..I wasn't too horribly off outside the TDs for UNI.

Sycamore62
October 6th, 2014, 04:19 PM
See other than the final score..I wasn't too horribly off outside the TDs for UNI.

I thought that this game could have had anything happen either way. the way it went, I was happy and it took years off my life. Im sure some UNI fans were unhappy and it took equal years off their lives.

ISUb could have gone up 17 or 21 to 0 in the 2nd qtr very easily. UNI could have converted 3 or 4 field goals into 21 or 28 points.

one thing i will never say is that Perish doesnt have a strong arm. If he was a bit more mobile, he would be even better

Houndawg
October 6th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Usually we have somebody from UNI to break down the game from their perspective.xcoffeex

Sycamore62
October 6th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Man it's going to be a long 51 weeks of bumping this to the to top

Daved
October 6th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I'm worried about clenz. I mean after the debacle the Vikes put on in Green Bay Thursday night and then UNI's loss yesterday I hope he didn't do anything drastic.No worries--although he routinely threatens to jump in the Cedar River after debacles like these he's always been unable to find it.

Sycamore62
October 7th, 2014, 10:43 AM
It seems the voters felt they were more wrong about UNI than they were about ISUb

Don't include the AGS poll in that statement. at least people on here have reasons for their picks and may even do a little research.

X-Factor
October 9th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Sycs do anything special to bottle up Johnson?

UNIFanSince1983
October 9th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Sycs do anything special to bottle up Johnson?

Well our o-line is pretty suspect, but no they didn't.

He rushed 24 times for 127 yards which is 5.3 per carry. So the answer is they didn't bottle him up.

Sycamore62
October 9th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Well our o-line is pretty suspect, but no they didn't.

He rushed 24 times for 127 yards which is 5.3 per carry. So the answer is they didn't bottle him up.

The did a pretty good job for the 1st qtr. we had a lot of near tackles for loss but he got out of them. I think all the pregame hype was legit. He is a solid runner that I'd take any day.

unigriff
October 9th, 2014, 09:34 AM
DJ needs 349 yards to break the 4,000 yd rushing barrier in his career and 353 to break the school record. Also needs 5 total TDs to break that school record.

KUlawJack
October 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM
DJ needs 349 yards to break the 4,000 yd rushing barrier in his career and 353 to break the school record. Also needs 5 total TDs to break that school record.

Congratulations to him. That will be a great accomplishment. What is the record for total TDs?

EDIT: This got me wondering about what the records are at SDSU. I know who holds them, but couldn't remember the statistics.

Josh Ranek

Career Rushing Yards - 6,744; Career TDs - 69

Zach Zenner

Career Rushing Yards - 5,318; Career TDs - 49

Zach has to rush for 1,426 yards and score 20 TDs in the remaining 7 games (more games hopefully, if we can make the playoffs, which seems a long ways away right now) to tie Ranek's records.

UNIFanSince1983
October 9th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Current records:

Dedric Ward - Career Total TDs: 50 (which oddly are all receiving TDs according to the media guide, and that is hard to believe)

Corey Lewis - Career Rushing Yards: 4,003

Jeff Stovall - Career Rushing TDs: 46

X-Factor
October 11th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Josh Ranek

Career Rushing Yards - 6,744; Career TDs - 69

nearly 7k....unreal. What years did he play?

clenz
October 12th, 2014, 08:10 PM
I was without internet for damn near two weeks, coudln't reply.

1. If you would listen to the FCS Wedge you'd have a very different take on what I thought of the game, and what I said post game. Although, it's nice to know that so few of you support the sight enough to listen to it's radio show.

2. UNI defense did more than enough to win that game. Perish less than 200 yards passing.

3. 4 first and goals and zero TDs. Completely on the OC on that one. One of those goes for a TD and the Sycs lose.

4. I wish UNI's OC had the balls that other teams have against UNI. I can't count how many times in the past UNI has been burned on flea flickers, double passes, double reverses, etc... I can only think of 3 times UNI has ever used a trick play. UNI WR Victor Williams went 2-2 for something like 150 yards and 2 TDs in his career on WR reverse pass plays. The other was the 09 semi final game where UNI ran a throwback pass to the QB. QB Pat Grace was WIDE open on the far side...I mean, there was 4 lineman in front of him and zero defenders on that half of the field and non more than 10 yards down field...easy score...I could have scored on it...and he dropped the pass. It's like after that play UNI decided it was going to stop using the plays. Show some god damn creativity.

Sycamore62
October 12th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I was without internet for damn near two weeks, coudln't reply.

1. If you would listen to the FCS Wedge you'd have a very different take on what I thought of the game, and what I said post game. Although, it's nice to know that so few of you support the sight enough to listen to it's radio show.

2. UNI defense did more than enough to win that game. Perish less than 200 yards passing.

3. 4 first and goals and zero TDs. Completely on the OC on that one. One of those goes for a TD and the Sycs lose.

4. I wish UNI's OC had the balls that other teams have against UNI. I can't count how many times in the past UNI has been burned on flea flickers, double passes, double reverses, etc... I can only think of 3 times UNI has ever used a trick play. UNI WR Victor Williams went 2-2 for something like 150 yards and 2 TDs in his career on WR reverse pass plays. The other was the 09 semi final game where UNI ran a throwback pass to the QB. QB Pat Grace was WIDE open on the far side...I mean, there was 4 lineman in front of him and zero defenders on that half of the field and non more than 10 yards down field...easy score...I could have scored on it...and he dropped the pass. It's like after that play UNI decided it was going to stop using the plays. Show some god damn creativity.

I honestly wasnt aware of the wedge

KUlawJack
October 12th, 2014, 08:25 PM
nearly 7k....unreal. What years did he play?

1997-2001.