PDA

View Full Version : #1 NDSU @ WIU -- Oct 4th

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2014, 09:44 AM
After a bye week, NDSU (4-0, 0-0) heads down to Macomb, Ill to take on Western Illinois (2-3, 0-1). WIU was in Carbondale to take on SIU yesterday and lost 34-17.

One stat that jumps out right away is their rushing yards, or lack of. In 5 games played, the 'necks have rushed for an average of 75 yards/game. Even against poor teams like Drake and Valpo, they rushed for minimal yards also. Being one-dimensional will not work in the Valley. One of the strengths of the Bison defense is to make teams one-dimensional on offense and if Western cannot run the ball players like #53 Emmanual will be tough to stop on the pass rush. Western looks like they have a couple of good defensive players in #43 Raffelson and #4 Rollins. WIU's QB threw the ball 49 times yesterday, so I suspect the Bison secondary to be tested often in this game.

Being the first conference game for the Bison, I hope to see continued improvement on the O-line. Lechler #78 had a very good game against Montana's very good DE and Kuhnert also played well at OG when he rotated with Schueller. IMO, Kuhnert should be starting. Nothing fancy for the Bison, power running attack and play-action pass. Better red zone play calling by Polasek.

Keys for WIU:

-Establish a running game. No way can WIU win by just passing the ball the whole game. Keep the Bison defense honest.
- Score early
-Take advantage of turnovers and do not commit any yourself
-Match NDSU's physical style of play

Keys for NDSU:

-Establish both lines of scrimmage. WIU is going to pass the ball a lot so keep them off the field with sustained drives by the offense.
-NDSU LBers and DBs need to play assignment sharp. No broken coverages.
-Keep it simple. Run the ball and wear WIU out in the 2nd half.
-TDs instead of FGs...xthumbsupx

This will be a fun game to see. How many Bison fans will be there? 1-2K?

Thundar
September 28th, 2014, 09:51 AM
37-14 Bison

Start slow like seems to be the norm and run away from them

Houndawg
September 28th, 2014, 12:14 PM
48-13

NDSUSR
September 28th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I think NDSU will make this a statement game. I expect the spread to be 27 points.

semobison
September 28th, 2014, 04:14 PM
WIU trailed Wisconsin by 6 at the half and held them to a season low 167 yards rushing while Badgers are averaging 343 ypg on the the ground this season. In that game and against SIU this weekend they faded in the 2nd half. Sure, a blowout is possible but the Necks are much better than their record indicates and have been very tough defensively against the run. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower scoring defensive battle. Valley conference play never seems to be easy!

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2014, 04:48 PM
48-13

If the Bison turn red zone opportunities into TDs instead of FGs, then the score could be something like this. I suspect a closer game. No team has consistently been able to run on the Bison and I do not expect WIU will be able to.

2 weeks of rest will be a benefit for sure.

Bison win 35-10

skinny_uncle
September 28th, 2014, 06:45 PM
The Bison should be able to stop their running game. The "Necks passing game is streaky. Should be a Bison win.

underdawg
September 28th, 2014, 07:49 PM
It's streaky but if it's on WIU can score through the air (I believe they had a lot of yardage through the air against their two BCS opponents)--long. In the first half I counted at least twice when they had our CBs beat by 5 yards but their QB overthrew---on the other hand, our QB also over threw a few balls---but the times I've seen NDSU, they will grind it out on the ground not throw long--look for WIU to stack the box like they did with SIU so maybe the Bison will try to pop a few through the air--but I doubt it--they will totally try to run it down WIU's throat---38-14 Bison

Bisonator
September 28th, 2014, 09:05 PM
31-10 Bison

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 2nd, 2014, 12:23 PM
31-10 Bison

I think this score is about right. NDSU is well rested and almost at full strength....Hardy will be held out I think.

NDSUs defense should keep WIU to 2 TDs or less and the Bison offense should move the ball. Keep the foot on the pedal.

Professor Chaos
October 2nd, 2014, 01:14 PM
Jeff Kolpack, NDSU's beat writer at the local fish wrap, sure is trying to pump up WIU talking about how their head coach is a proven winner, that this is their homecoming game, and how their players are viewing this as a chance to get a program defining win. I just think it's too much to ask with NDSU coming off a bye week with a team that should be getting comfortable with each other. I could see maybe a little rust to start off with but I think the Bison pull away in the 2nd half.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 2nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
Jeff Kolpack, NDSU's beat writer at the local fish wrap, sure is trying to pump up WIU talking about how their head coach is a proven winner, that this is their homecoming game, and how their players are viewing this as a chance to get a program defining win. I just think it's too much to ask with NDSU coming off a bye week with a team that should be getting comfortable with each other. I could see maybe a little rust to start off with but I think the Bison pull away in the 2nd half.

He did that also on the video blog. I don't see it. NDSU rolls in the 2 ND half....agree.

DA BEAR
October 2nd, 2014, 06:55 PM
28-10 Bison pull away in 2nd half

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 3rd, 2014, 04:17 PM
From listening to interviews this week, it sounds like WIU really runs a hurry up offense. The Bison defense will be tested this week. Substitutions will be very important to keep the players fresh. Or, just keep them off the field by having long sustained scoring drives on offense.

Looking forward to starting Valley play with a win.

CommishBigSmooth
October 3rd, 2014, 04:28 PM
Bison won't have a ton of difficulty in this one unless it's self inflicted. We'll see if they clean up the penalties. My guess is they will to some extent, but I don't think it will matter as much in this one as it will in upcoming contests. The streak continues, 34-10 NDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Game Day for the Bison.

Have tickets for this but frickin work crap came up....xsmhx Fair weather fan?.....xlolx Need to get my priorities straight...xlolx:D

dewey
October 4th, 2014, 07:36 AM
I will be watching this one on ESPN3 today.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 4th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Wind blowing pretty good from the what was said on the radio.

Running game should get a workout!!

GO BISON

Cleets
October 4th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Watching this game and it is fascinating...
NDSU is having some trouble with that WIU defense

Vitojr130
October 4th, 2014, 05:14 PM
How was that not pass interference in the endzone? The WIU player wasn't going for the ball and definitely made significant contact before the receiver touched the ball....

NDSU is playing like poo.

Cleets
October 4th, 2014, 05:15 PM
So am I the only guy watching this game on "Watch ESPN: dot com..?

Cleets
October 4th, 2014, 05:18 PM
The officials are really watching #50
to personal fouls on the same drive

Vitojr130
October 4th, 2014, 05:19 PM

Probably since it's on ESPN3

Cleets
October 4th, 2014, 05:21 PM
The officials were very nice to NDSU there... on the QB carry
He was out at the 3

Cleets
October 4th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Blocked 19 yard field goal attempt... WOW!

Cleets
October 4th, 2014, 05:27 PM
WIU runs an awkward play and gets lucky...

Cleets
October 4th, 2014, 05:30 PM
NDSU after the punt has the ball in WIU territory... Tough punt from his own end zone

SeattleGriz
October 4th, 2014, 05:33 PM

I'm too lazy to get my log on info downstairs, otherwise I would be there too.

Cleets
October 4th, 2014, 05:34 PM
NDSU runs a trick play / running back pass to QB on a sweep / well executed TD Bison

Game tied at 10-10 early in the 4th quarter

dwtime
October 4th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Bison in a bit of tussle today. Nice TD to tie it up.

semobison
October 4th, 2014, 07:34 PM
WIU trailed Wisconsin by 6 at the half and held them to a season low 167 yards rushing while Badgers are averaging 343 ypg on the the ground this season. In that game and against SIU this weekend they faded in the 2nd half. Sure, a blowout is possible but the Necks are much better than their record indicates and have been very tough defensively against the run. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lower scoring defensive battle. Valley conference play never seems to be easy!

Every now and then I know what I am talking about!