PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State @ Missouri State

penguinpower
September 28th, 2014, 08:22 AM
This looks to be an interesting game to say the least. May end up being the GOTW even though I don't think it got the votes.

ValleyTalk
September 28th, 2014, 08:58 AM
This game will say a lot about each team. Is one a contender, or are they both middle of the pack teams? Wolford has never beaten Missouri State. They last played in 2011 when YSU infamously blew a 17 point second half lead and blew their great opportunity of making the FCS playoffs.

Should be a dandy!

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2014, 12:28 PM
This one would be a good one to see.

I think MSU can be a playoff team...well both can be but they play a 3-4 defense and it gives teams, esp the Bison, trouble.

skinny_uncle
September 28th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I'd say the Bears win a close one.

ValleyTalk
September 30th, 2014, 05:12 PM
FWIW

@FCS_Gameday: The MVC has several big games this week including this one selected as our Game of the Week. #YSUvsMSU http://t.co/MtbUiUeiq2

ysubigred
October 1st, 2014, 12:41 PM
Saddly, I have to go with MSU in this one.. I believe they are ready to start conference play with a much tougher OOC schedule. Plus MSU has YSU's number with the same coach that had YSU's number when coaching another MVFC team :(

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2014, 01:17 PM
I'll take the Bears in this one. YSU always looks good until they play a good in conference team. Just happens sooner this year. Unfortunately for YSU, there are a bunch of good in conference teams this year.

penguinpower
October 1st, 2014, 01:21 PM
I'll take the Bears in this one. YSU always looks good until they play a good in conference team. Just happens sooner this year. Unfortunately for YSU, there are a bunch of good in conference teams this year.

It is a coach issue not an athlete issue. I say YSU wins.

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2014, 01:27 PM

Did YSU get a new coach? Must have missed that.

ysubigred
October 1st, 2014, 02:42 PM
We know the coach is less than stellar but I'm haven't seen these great athletes Wolf man has recruited ?? They are either hurt or gassed by half time xeyebrowx

BisonBohl
October 1st, 2014, 03:17 PM
Going to be another close game here, not really sure who will win it. I tend to lean towards the home team in this one but I think YSU pulls out a close one.

penguinpower
October 1st, 2014, 03:24 PM
We know the coach is less than stellar but I'm haven't seen these great athletes Wolf man has recruited ?? They are either hurt or gassed by half time xeyebrowx

They aren't gassed. They are relaxed and don't play with any intensity when then have the lead. Then they play up but it is always close to disaster. They have demonstrated they can play and entire 55 minutes. There is always a lapse somewhere

ysubigred
October 1st, 2014, 05:18 PM
They aren't gassed. They are relaxed and don't play with any intensity when then have the lead. Then they play up but it is always close to disaster. They have demonstrated they can play and entire 55 minutes. There is always a lapse somewhere

Two things I noticed.

1. How many heat cramps/Charlie horses have you seen so far this year? Re-watch the Il game.

2. YSU may have athletes but are missing some "Football Players" in key areas.

Bottom line: Something is wrong with strength and conditioning and just because they are fast don't mean they'll be in the right spots on the field. xtwocentsx

penguinpower
October 1st, 2014, 05:25 PM
Two things I noticed.

1. How many heat cramps/Charlie horses have you seen so far this year? Re-watch the Il game.

2. YSU may have athletes but are missing some "Football Players" in key areas.

Bottom line: Something is wrong with strength and conditioning and just because they are fast don't mean they'll be in the right spots on the field. xtwocentsx

I agree on all points

MSUDuo
October 1st, 2014, 06:30 PM
The key for MO State is if our OC decides whether or not he wants to "kill" our QB. Harris took a beating against UCA and our OC was still calling QB draws in the 4th even after he had missed some time for a hip pointer. I couldn't believe it.

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2014, 01:22 PM
I'm looking at a couple of things in this game -- YSU QB play and the YSU D. If the transfer from Ga. Tech is ready, then the DL may be improved. However, the secondary makes me cringe. If the D doesn't play well, it will be a long season. The QB also has to be effective in passing. He can run but no serious pass game and he'll be ineffective. MSU isn't all that great but has played well so far. Looking for a close game.

ValleyTalk
October 2nd, 2014, 05:06 PM
The DL Paladin is referring to is Jimmie Kitchen who Coach Wolford has said will start / play for the first time all year. He believes Kitchen can be one of the best in YSU history. Who knows if that can be true, but hopefully he sures up the DL portion of our defense.

YSU 31-27.

thebootfitter
October 2nd, 2014, 05:17 PM
The DL Paladin is referring to is Jimmie Kitchen who Coach Wolford has said will start / play for the first time all year. He believes Kitchen can be one of the best in YSU history. Who knows if that can be true, but hopefully he sires up the DL portion of our defense.

YSU 31-27.
You might have to wait 20 years or so for any offspring he sires up to affect your defense. ;-)

ValleyTalk
October 2nd, 2014, 06:08 PM
You might have to wait 20 years or so for any offspring he sires up to affect your defense. ;-)

I just reread my post and was like....

http://blackwaterdog.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/homer-simpson-doh.gif

Also, just now per Coach Wolford, Kitchen hurt his foot on Tuesday so he may be a bit iffy for Saturday. Likely won't start, but may very well play.

Bisonoline
October 3rd, 2014, 11:51 PM
I'd say the Bears win a close one.

Oh no. If that happens the YSU coach is going to need a case of Depends and some Midol for all of his pissing and moaning.

BisonFan02
October 3rd, 2014, 11:57 PM
I got Da Bears.....

Professor Chaos
October 4th, 2014, 03:49 PM
What's the story on this game? Kierra Harris is 5/16 for 48 yards going onto the 4th. YSU leading it 14-0. Is YSU's defense playing that well or is MSU just not showing up offensively? Weather a factor?

DoubleE
October 4th, 2014, 03:52 PM
YSU is playing good defense but the YSU qb is keeping MSU in the game

MSUDuo
October 4th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Missouri State sucks. That's all we need to know

DoubleE
October 4th, 2014, 04:04 PM
TD Guins

- - - Updated - - -

or not, stupid flag

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 04:20 PM
That didn't look like a fumble to me

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Feels like 31-0 but it is only a 14 point game

DoubleE
October 4th, 2014, 04:46 PM
14-7 guins

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 04:47 PM
What's the story on this game? Kierra Harris is 5/16 for 48 yards going onto the 4th. YSU leading it 14-0. Is YSU's defense playing that well or is MSU just not showing up offensively? Weather a factor?

YSU playing excellent defense. Wow!

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 04:52 PM
YSU trying to give the game away with bad offensive play calling. Oh my.

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Game over! Penguins picked it off! Finally they are playing DEFENSE! Yay!

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 04:54 PM
It took Missouri State 10 plays inside the 10 to get the ball in and they had some big help from bad pass interference calls by the refs.

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Should have been a shut out

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Very nice win YSU!!

DoubleE
October 4th, 2014, 05:01 PM
YSU won 14-7 but YSU will not win another MVFC game if Nania remains at QB, he handicaps the offense too much with his lack of a throwing arm

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 07:31 PM
YSU won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in dominating fashion. That will win you a lot of games with an average QB. I've seen him play better than he did today and he was helped by everyone else around him

Paladin1aa
October 4th, 2014, 09:44 PM
D wins this game for YSU. The game should have been a shutout, true. Looking for Kitchen to join the D and make it even better. Nice win.

penguinpower
October 4th, 2014, 09:50 PM

I glad that you are wrong in this case. Did YSU beat a good team today is the question

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I glad that you are wrong in this case. Did YSU beat a good team today is the question?

I was wrong on just about everything about this week I think.

Daved
October 4th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I glad that you are wrong in this case. Did YSU beat a good team today is the questionIllinois State is one of the good in conference teams this year.xcoffeex Every team in the MVFC is dangerous!

MSUDuo
October 5th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I glad that you are wrong in this case. Did YSU beat a good team today is the question
No, you didn't beat a good team. You haven't beat a good team all year.

penguinpower
October 5th, 2014, 08:33 AM
No, you didn't beat a good team. You haven't beat a good team all year.

I guess "good" is dependent on the scale you are using. The Bears have beaten some decent teams and fared well against their OOC opponents. Maybe they aren't good in the MVFC today but they are still better than many teams in the FCS and they have proven that already.

DoubleE
October 5th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I guess "good" is dependent on the scale you are using. The Bears have beaten some decent teams and fared well against their OOC opponents. Maybe they aren't good in the MVFC today but they are still better than many teams in the FCS and they have proven that already.

magic number for the playoffs is 9-3. we are 4-1 so we have to go 5-2 the rest of the way to get in. Hopefully WIU next week continues the playoff push

Daved
October 5th, 2014, 10:09 AM
No, you didn't beat a good team. You haven't beat a good team all year.You may be right--how about naming some good teams in FCS --I'm sure we all agree that NDSU,SDSU,and UNI are some of the best but IMHO none of them are unbeatable.

Daved
October 5th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I glad that you are wrong in this case. Did YSU beat a good team today is the questionThey sure didn't look like a good team but its about time we finally beat those pesky Bears--they kept us out of the playoffs with a terrible team a few years back.

DoubleE
October 5th, 2014, 10:20 AM
They sure didn't look like a good team but its about time we finally beat those pesky Bears--they kept us out of the playoffs with a terrible team a few years back.

this offense scares me. looking at the schedule i see 7-5 and that isnt enough to get into the playoffs and save wolfords job