5. Samford
6. Furman
7. Mercer
8. VMI

UTC 56, VMI 10
The Citadel 35 Wofford 31
Coastal Carolina 31 Furman 13
Samford 40 Mercer 17
Western 38 Presyterian 20 Western starts 4-1 for the first time since who knows when

Smitty
September 27th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Would be the first time since 2001

bonarae
September 28th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Chattanooga
Wofford - toss-up
Coastal Carolina
Samford
Western Carolina

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2014, 06:16 AM
At least Furman can really only over achieve this week.

catamount man
September 28th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Would be the first time since 2001

Last time WCU was 4-1 was 1972, Bob Waters fourth season in Cullowhee. GO CATS!

catamount man
September 28th, 2014, 07:09 AM
1) Chatty
2t) WCU
Samford
4) The Citadel
5) Mercer
6) Wofford
7) Furman
8) VMI

Chatt over VMI
WCU over Presbyterian
Coastal
The Citadel
Samford

kdinva
September 28th, 2014, 07:53 AM
1. UTC
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. Western Carolina
5. The Citadel
6. Furman
7. Mercer
8. VMI

UTC 45, VMI 21
The Citadel 26; Wofford 24
Coastal Carolina 35; Furman 10
Samford 38; Mercer 16
WCU 38; Presyterian 21

CID1990
September 28th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Not sure I like everybody cursing us to a 16th straight loss to Wofford by predicting we will win.

There's some psychological voodoo witch magic going on in this series and you guys aren't helping.

OL FU
September 28th, 2014, 10:31 AM
1. Chattanooga
2-4. could be a tie but we will order them
Samford
Western
Citadel
5. Wofford
6. Furman
7. Mercer
8. VMI

Chatt v VMI
Citadel v Wofford Home field and I like Cid1990xnodx
CCU v FU Unless things change drastically and I don't expect them to, this will be FUgly.
Samford v Mercer
Western v PC

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 28th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I was 4-1 last week with The Citadel finally getting their first win this season. This is where I have at after this week:

1) Western Carolina - No longer the SoCon whipping boy after knocking off Furman
2) Mercer - Wins a close one against VMI
3) Chattanooga - Takes care of business against Samford
4) Samford - Falls from the top after loss to Chattanooga
5) Wofford - Undefeated against non-Division I teams
6) Furman - Oh how the mighty have fallen.
7) The Citadel - Winless no more
8) VMI - Lost to second-year program Mercer
ETSU - Had their first scrimmage in years as 3-4K were watching

Predictions
The Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers manage to win this one
Western Carolina @ Presbyterian - Catamounts go up to 4-1 for first time since 1972
Mercer @ Samford (Game of the week) - Bulldogs win in a hard-fought game
VMI @ Chattanooga (Beatdown of the week) - Mocs manhandle Keydets
Coastal Carolina @ Furman (Beatdown of the week) - Chanticleers run over Paladins

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 28th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I was 4-1 last week with The Citadel finally getting their first win this season. This is where I have at after this week:

1) Western Carolina - No longer the SoCon whipping boy after knocking off Furman

xeyebrowx

catamount man
September 28th, 2014, 11:25 AM
xeyebrowx LOL AT THE EYEBROW!

chattanoogamocs
September 28th, 2014, 12:47 PM

Predictions
The Citadel @ Wofford - Terriers manage to win this one
Western Carolina @ Presbyterian - Catamounts go up to 4-1 for first time since 1972
Mercer @ Samford (Game of the week) - Bulldogs win in a hard-fought game
VMI @ Chattanooga (Beatdown of the week) - Mocs manhandle Keydets
Coastal Carolina @ Furman (Beatdown of the week) - Chanticleers run over Paladins

xcrazyx I don't know why I am surprised...his "power rankings" never make any sense. I am just surprised that with ETSU having a scrimmage, he didn't rank the Bucs 2nd or 3rd this week. :)

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2014, 02:22 PM
xcrazyx I don't know why I am surprised...his "power rankings" never make any sense. I am just surprised that with ETSU having a scrimmage, he didn't rank the Bucs 2nd or 3rd this week. :)

Odd that he would comment that Furman has "fallen" when App State is 1-3 (hey - they beat Campbell), just lost to rival Georgia Southern by 20, and are could be staring 1-11 in the face. Speaking of how the mighty have fallen.

ElCid
September 28th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Not sure I like everybody cursing us to a 16th straight loss to Wofford by predicting we will win.

There's some psychological voodoo witch magic going on in this series and you guys aren't helping.

You really don't believe this do you? I mean the only explanation is an actual jinx, its a scientific fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yiYF4uFI8U

ElCid
September 28th, 2014, 02:53 PM
1) UTC - got it done. The only team to unseat them, will be UTC itself.
2) Western Carolina - one hex is undone, more to follow.
3) Samford - yeah they lost, but they are still top 3.
4) The Citadel - finally got the win. Defense played best game of year against GW. Accomplished a school single game record of 10 sacks, accomplishing 3 in a row at one point. 6 players had 1/2 or more sacks. GW had -2 yards rushing. Adjustments again showed that coaching at least knows what it is doing. Offense opened up with year high 186 yards through the air. That was key aspect missing in earlier losses to CCU and CSU.
5) Wofford - still an enigma.
6) Mercer - got first SOCON win…on the road to boot. OK, it was VMI, but it still showed a lot.
7) Furman - sinking fast
8) VMI - May have unjustly had a bad rep up until now, but performance on the filed against Mercer has left little doubt they are in last place for a while. They may still surprise someone before the year is out.

UTC 39 - VMI 17 - Mocs bask in glory of last week with comfortable, if not dominant, win
For Cid 1990 ... Wofford 63 - The Citadel 0, I am almost on board with this, there is some dead chicken ritual ritual going on in Sparklecity every year prior to the gamexrotatehx. Some long lost curse spat up from hades to torment us, but….
The Citadel 27 - Wofford 23 - as much as I want to not feed this curse, this will be the next long term hex to fall this year. Not sure how they have had our number for so long, but Bulldogs will be emotionally ready to end it once and for all.
CCU 38 - Furman 18 - CCU cruises against a Furman team in the dumps
Samford 45 - Mercer 10 - Mercer's bubble finally bursts as it goes on its hardest road game in 73 years.
WCU 34 - Presbyterian 17 - WCU does not let up

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2014, 02:59 PM
For those El Cid people who want to cry voodoo...just remember the Citadel plays a lot better against Wofford in Spartanburg than Charleston.

I don't even know what to think...At least the Citadel is a running team.

I like Wofford's offense but I honestly couldn't tell you how good of a football team we are. I think the best comparison is to our 2006 team, which was a bubble team at best, but that's about it.

I may or may not be hanging it up for next year already, but there's still hope.

ElCid
September 28th, 2014, 03:06 PM
For those El Cid people who want to cry voodoo...just remember the Citadel plays a lot better against Wofford in Spartanburg than Charleston.

I don't even know what to think...At least the Citadel is a running team.

I like Wofford's offense but I honestly couldn't tell you how good of a football team we are. I think the best comparison is to our 2006 team, which was a bubble team at best, but that's about it.

I may or may not be hanging it up for next year already, but there's still hope.

Yup, everything you said. Plus, just to hedge our bets…..

Fly away buzzard, fly away crow,
way down South where the winds don't blow.
Rub your nose, and give two winks,
and save us from this awful jinx.

The Cats
September 28th, 2014, 03:34 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Western Carolina
3. The Citadel
4. Samford
5. Wofford
6. Furman
7. Mercer
8. VMI

Western Carolina at Presbyterian
Coastal Carolina at Furman
VMI at Chattanooga
Mercer at Samford
The Citadel at Wofford

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2014, 05:09 PM
People are ranking Western Carolina and Chattanooga the two best teams in the Socon.

Think about that for a second.

catamount man
September 28th, 2014, 05:40 PM
People are ranking Western Carolina and Chattanooga the two best teams in the Socon.

Ain't it great?! GO CATS!

chattanoogamocs
September 28th, 2014, 09:29 PM

I know, it's crazy...one of the defending SoCon champs just beat another of the defending SoCon champs is being ranked first by most on here...unheard of! ;)

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Just a few musings.

WCU has exceeded expectations. Certainly trending in the right direction, but as of now they have wins over sub-D1 schools and a reeling Furman team.

UTC probably notched the first impressive win of any SoCon school in 2014.

Furman looks like they are going to go with a lineup on offense that features three true freshmen going forward (OT, C, QB). Certainly not where Furman fans thought we'd be after five games. At this stage, the coaching staff has little option but to start getting anyone out there that can jumpstart the offense.

Mercer gets their first SoCon win in program history. Congrats.

Samford still can do a lot of damage going forward, but if you are going to lose a conference game, you would prefer to do it against a team that you don't expect to chase the rest of the season.

App State played Georgia Southern this week and I didn't hear a word about it. Weird.

OL FU
September 29th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Prolly cuz Georgia Southern beat the crap out of themxnodx

sorry I did checkxcoffeex

walliver
September 29th, 2014, 09:46 AM

App State played Georgia Southern this week and I didn't hear a word about it. Weird.

They still play football?

CSU18
September 29th, 2014, 10:32 AM
El CID, CID1990, citdog - trying to get a read on Gardner Webb. Did you guys play a complete game, GW not play good, or is GW just not that good?

Mocs123
September 29th, 2014, 10:33 AM
1.) Chattanooga. Solid win over a good SoCon team allows us to keep the top spot. Our offense did better against what I think is a pretty good defense.
2.) Samford. I think Samford is a good team and will still be a factor in the SoCon.
3.) Western Carolina. I almost put them #2 but poor quality competition keeps them from that spot. They get a chance to get a second quality D1 win this week.
4.) Wofford. Having a rare down year it seems but is still a dangerous team.
5.) The Citadel. Played a really tough schedule thus far. I may have them under rated here. They have a big test this week.
6.) Furman. I still think they are a good team. I had written them off for dead last year and they run off 6 straight wins. The D is solid, if the O can get it together they will be in the hunt.
7.) Mercer. Got a SoCon win last week but it may not be their last this year. I think they may upset someone.
8.) VMI. Offense is solid but D struggled.

Coastal Carolina 24
Furman 13 (hope I am wrong. This would be a big win for the SoCon)

The Citadel. 21
Wofford 24 (game of the week)

Western Carolina 45
Presbyterian 35

Mercer 27
Samford 42 (Samford takes their frustrations out)

VMI 17
Chattanooga 38

longtimemocfan
September 29th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Ain't it great?! GO CATS!

I'm sure the faithful at WCU are enjoying the feeling of being competitive again xthumbsupx

OL FU
September 29th, 2014, 10:53 AM
1.) Chattanooga. Solid win over a good SoCon team allows us to keep the top spot. Our offense did better against what I think is a pretty good defense.
2.) Samford. I think Samford is a good team and will still be a factor in the SoCon.
3.) Western Carolina. I almost put them #2 but poor quality competition keeps them from that spot. They get a chance to get a quality D1 win this week.
4.) Wofford. Having a rare down year it seems but is still a dangerous team.
5.) The Citadel. Played a really tough schedule thus far. I may have them under rated here. They have a big test this week.
6.) Furman. I still think they are a good team. I had written them off for dead last year and they run off 6 straight wins. The D is solid, if the O can get it together they will be in the hunt.
7.) Mercer. Got a SoCon win last week but it may not be their last this year. I think they may upset someone.
8.) VMI. Offense is solid but D struggled.

Coastal Carolina 24
Furman 13 (hope I am wrong. This would be a big win for the SoCon)

The Citadel. 21
Wofford 24 (game of the week)

Western Carolina 45
Presbyterian 35

Mercer 27
Samford 42 (Samford takes their frustrations out)

VMI 17
Chattanooga 38

Maybe I am getting overly sensitivexembarrassedx Cuz I ain't saying Furman is a quality win and I know PC beat us but if you look at that game then PC ain't going to be quality either. It was pretty darn ugly in both directions.

Millwoch
September 29th, 2014, 11:12 AM
El CID, CID1990, citdog - trying to get a read on Gardner Webb. Did you guys play a complete game, GW not play good, or is GW just not that good?

GW not very disciplined versus Option. We were able to loosen them up throwing on first down. Esp early in game. GW defense was worn down in second half. This is one of Houston's main strategies.

Citadel had 10 sacks with 70 total yards lost. They were -2 yds rushing for game.

GW appears to be different team on the road than at home. Beat Wofford at home and get shellacked by us on road?

we finally put some things together. Not a perfect game but a solid gameplan and scoring early really helped. Our conditioning was much better than GW. We were actually losing 14-13 in early 3rd quarter.

I would predict a win for CSU.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Maybe I am getting overly sensitivexembarrassedx Cuz I ain't saying Furman is a quality win and I know PC beat us but if you look at that game then PC ain't going to be quality either. It was pretty darn ugly in both directions.

Ugly game from start to finish. Out of all Furman's disappointments thus far, losing that game on the road has really been the most inexcusable.

I firmly believe that Furman could have won that game by doing nothing other than taking a knee three straight times and punting on every possession in the second half. PC wasn't going to get into the endzone unless Furman had a defensive breakdown or turned the ball over deep in their zone. Turns out the latter did us in.

You look back at the schedule, and Furman has played badly, but if we were 3-2 right now with losses to WCU (who is clearly better than usual and was well rested against Furman) and SCSU (road game against a playoff team from last season), I really wouldn't be that worried. That PC game was the one we just couldn't gut out a win.

The Cats
September 29th, 2014, 11:20 AM
3.) Western Carolina. I almost put them #2 but poor quality competition keeps them from that spot. They get a chance to get a quality D1 win this week.

Western Carolina 45
Presbyterian 35

So, a dominating win by the Cats over Furman in Greenville was not a "quality" win? But a 10 point win over a 2-2 PC which only beat that same FU team, in Clinton, by only 3 points, would be "a quality D1 win" ?

Please explain. Oh, that's right - you're a Moc fan, never mind.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2014, 11:48 AM
That may actually be an interesting game to watch. PC had a slug fest in the rain against Furman where bad footing and poor conditions really helped the defenses.

PC has blown out a D2 and beaten Furman. They also have two losses to good FBS schools in NIU and NCState. Would be interested to see after an offweek whether they can give WCU a game. Not sure WCU is going to have a lot on game film to really go on. PC has only played one similarly matched university (Furman) and that game was limited by conditions.

Mocs123
September 29th, 2014, 11:51 AM

I think any OCC D1 win is a quality win at this point for the SoCon. We didn't do our part either dropping one to JSU.

catamount man
September 29th, 2014, 12:27 PM
That may actually be an interesting game to watch. PC had a slug fest in the rain against Furman where bad footing and poor conditions really helped the defenses.

PC has blown out a D2 and beaten Furman. They also have two losses to good FBS schools in NIU and NCState. Would be interested to see after an offweek whether they can give WCU a game. Not sure WCU is going to have a lot on game film to really go on. PC has only played one similarly matched university (Furman) and that game was limited by conditions.

I'm more nervous about the PC game than I was the Furman game. I think we win but I think PC makes a game of it for a little while anyway. I can see us pulling away in the 4th. GO CATS!

catamount man
September 29th, 2014, 12:29 PM
So, a dominating win by the Cats over Furman in Greenville was not a "quality" win? But a 10 point win over a 2-2 PC which only beat that same FU team, in Clinton, by only 3 points, would be "a quality D1 win" ?

Please explain. Oh, that's right - you're a Moc fan, never mind. Gotta remember, we're still in the "prove us wrong" category to some. Heck even in this week's poll Furman has more votes for others and we beat them. Go figure. Western keeps winning, the respect will come. One game at a time. GO CATS!

Mocs123
September 29th, 2014, 12:39 PM

Please explain. Oh, that's right - you're a Moc fan, never mind.

I didn't mean to insult the win. I think Furman is a good team (better than Presbyterian) and a win on the road is even better. Congratulations to WCU on the win.

I almost put WCU at the #2 spot but I am not all that convinced with a 18 point win over Catawba and a 24 point win over Brevard. I am impressed at the 5 point loss to FBS USF.

Western is a much improved team and may (or may not be) the second best team in the conference (or the best for that matter). Another good D1 showing will help them in my book.

History does play a part too (hence my pick of Wofford over The Citadel) and WCU is starting from the bottom of the pack. I know because no team has been as low as UTC was for the 25 years prior to Huesmans arrival. It takes time to build respect. We are still trying to prove we can win big (and close) games.

What the heck does me being a Moc fan have to do with anything?

The Cats
September 29th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I didn't mean to insult the win. I think Furman is a good team (better than Presbyterian) and a win on the road is even better. Congratulations to WCU on the win.

I almost put WCU at the #2 spot but I am not all that convinced with a 18 point win over Catawba and a 24 point win over Brevard. I am impressed at the 5 point loss to FBS USF.

Western is a much improved team and may (or may not be) the second best team in the conference (or the best for that matter). Another good D1 showing will help them in my book.

History does play a part too (hence my pick of Wofford over The Citadel) and WCU is starting from the bottom of the pack. I know because no team has been as low as UTC was for the 25 years prior to Huesmans arrival. It takes time to build respect. We are still trying to prove we can win big (and close) games.

I have no problem where you placed WCU, it's an opinion after all.

My problem was with your explanation, saying Furman was not a quality win, but beating last place PC would be a quality win. It still makes no sense, even after your explanation.

chattanoogamocs
September 29th, 2014, 01:10 PM

Don't worry about it Mocs123, "The Cats" has the biggest chip on his shoulder of any fan I have ever seen on a message board. He's real sensitive about his kitty cats and trolls all the boards constantly to try and find anything to perceive as an insult to his beloved WCU. It is actually kind of funny to watch him get all worked up...I have to admit, I might be guilty of occasionally baiting WCU from time to time just because I know I will always get a bite from him.
xpopcornx

Mocs123
September 29th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I have no problem where you placed WCU, it's an opinion after all.

My problem was with your explanation, saying Furman was not a quality win, but beating last place PC would be a quality win. It still makes no sense, even after your explanation.

I never said nor intended to imply that the win at Furman was not a quality win. Despite their troubles I still think Furman is a quality team and will get it together this season.

Mocs123
September 29th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Don't worry about it Mocs123, "The Cats" has the biggest chip on his shoulder of any fan I have ever seen on a message board. He's real sensitive about his kitty cats and trolls all the boards constantly to try and find anything to perceive as an insult to his beloved WCU. It is actually kind of funny to watch him get all worked up...I have to admit, I might be guilty of occasionally baiting WCU from time to time just because I know I will always get a bite from him.
xpopcornx

I can't say much about The Cats as we have Chatown Mocs

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2014, 01:36 PM
I never said nor intended to imply that the win at Furman was not a quality win. Despite their troubles I still think Furman is a quality team and will get it together this season.

Hope you are right. Amazingly Furman finds itself in nearly the exact position it was in last season.

chattanoogamocs
September 29th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I can't say much about The Cats as we have Chatown Mocs

I am surprised he isn't on here after an actual quality win, his mother must have taken away his internet privileges.

CID1990
September 29th, 2014, 03:46 PM

Furman is NOT a quality win

Furman is NEVER a quality win

Furman sucks

get with the program

The Cats
September 29th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I am surprised he isn't on here after an actual quality win, his mother must have taken away his internet privileges.

It's interesting how chattanoogamocs and chattown are never on the board at the same time.

Draw your own conclusions. xdontknowx xeyebrowx

citdog
September 29th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Hope you are right. Amazingly Furman finds itself in nearly the exact position it was in last season.

See post #44 in this thread.

OL FU
September 30th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Furman is NOT a quality win

Furman is NEVER a quality win

Furman sucks

get with the program

There is a reason it is never a quality win for you. The few years you beat us are years we suck really bad.

58-32-3

citdog
September 30th, 2014, 10:35 AM
There is a reason it is never a quality win for you. The few years you beat us are years we suck really bad.

58-32-3

54-51

OL FU
September 30th, 2014, 11:42 AM
54-51

One of those few yearsxcoolx

walliver
September 30th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga - beat a decent Samford team
2) Western Carolina - teams rarely score 35 on FU
3) Samford - I expected a better showing against Chatty
4) The Citadel - took care of business against GW
5) Wofford - very unimpressive so far, but no conference losses :) (or wins ;()
6) Furman - Unexpected very bad start
7) Mercer - First SoCon, the first of many to come, just not that many this year.
8) VMI - will be here for a while, at least until ETSU starts in 2016, when the Keydets may move to 9th.
9) ETSU waiting on the sidelines.

This week:
UTC and VMI - I expect the Mocs to chke at some point, just not this week, Mocs-56-3
The Citadel at Wofford - games in Sparkle City are generally closer than those in Chucktown. Citadel may be playing better foootball right now, but T-Dogs keep the streak alive 25-24
Coastal and Furman - One team is on a roll, the other in free fall. Beach Chickens win 35-13.
Samford and Mercer. With the SoCon Baptist Championship on the line, the bulldogs pull out a 35-24 win.
Western and PC - The kitties maul the ho's 42-24.

SU DOG
September 30th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I for one was VERY impressed with the way Western looked. I was equally UNIMPRESSED with Samford. Yes, UTC is a darn good team and without a doubt deserves to be ranked #1 in the conference right now, but we were obviously not ready to play. Until we can get an O-Line push, I'm not totally convinced we will even be in the top 3, although the talent is there. I have complained about this area of our team on this Board before, and it is definitely a weak point. There are a couple of other concerns also, and to be honest, we are just not as good as I thought we would be. Having said that, however, still lots of football left and a chance for us to have a very good year.

Smitty
September 30th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Western Carolina
4) The Citadel
5) Wofford
6) Mercer
7) Furman
8) VMI .

This week:
UTC and VMI
The Citadel at Wofford
Coastal and Furman
Samford and Mercer
Western and PC

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Western Carolina
4) The Citadel
5) Wofford
6) Mercer
7) Furman
8) VMI .

This week:
UTC and VMI
The Citadel at Wofford
Coastal and Furman
Samford and Mercer
Western and PC

Mercer over Furman? Really?

Catamount87
September 30th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I for one was VERY impressed with the way Western looked. I was equally UNIMPRESSED with Samford. Yes, UTC is a darn good team and without a doubt deserves to be ranked #1 in the conference right now, but we were obviously not ready to play. Until we can get an O-Line push, I'm not totally convinced we will even be in the top 3, although the talent is there. I have complained about this area of our team on this Board before, and it is definitely a weak point. There are a couple of other concerns also, and to be honest, we are just not as good as I thought we would be. Having said that, however, still lots of football left and a chance for us to have a very good year.

I was impressed with our performance as well. But, make no bones about it, the wheels were coming off the Furman bus. They have a serious execution issue they need to resolve. Samford's performance was somewhat surprising. I haven't seen any highlights yet but have wondered what was up. I guess you answered the question, offensive line play.

Catamount87
September 30th, 2014, 12:44 PM
My predictions and power rankings:

Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Western Carolina
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) Furman
7) Mercer
8) VMI

This week:
UTC and VMI - this could get ugly in a hurry
The Citadel at Wofford - a dog fight for sure that'll go to a Terrier
Coastal and Furman - this might be even uglier than the UTC/VMI game
Samford and Mercer - the first real test for Mercer and they'll fail miserably
Western and PC - assuming no emotional letdown, the Cats move to 4-1 for the first time in a LONG time

OL FU
September 30th, 2014, 01:32 PM

and Furman over Coastal. If that happens I am driving to Asheville to buy somebody dinnerxthumbsupx

OL FU
September 30th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Western Carolina
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) Furman
7) Mercer
8) VMI

This week:
Western and PC - assuming no emotional letdown, the Cats move to 4-1 for the first time in a LONG time

I don't think the bold button on the Furman game is working for you Catamount guysxlolx

wcucat15
September 30th, 2014, 01:56 PM
1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Western Carolina
4. The Citadel
5. Wofford
6. Furman
7. Mercer
8. VMI

Western Carolina at Presbyterian 42-10
Coastal Carolina at Furman 45-24
VMI at Chattanooga 66-17
Mercer at Samford 35-21
The Citadel at Wofford 24-21

Catamount87
September 30th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I don't think the bold button on the Furman game is working for you Catamount guysxlolx

HAHAHA, that's what I get for not proofreading! Here's the corrected version.

Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Western Carolina
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) Furman
7) Mercer
8) VMI

This week:

AshevilleApp2
September 30th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Just a few musings.

WCU has exceeded expectations. Certainly trending in the right direction, but as of now they have wins over sub-D1 schools and a reeling Furman team.

UTC probably notched the first impressive win of any SoCon school in 2014.

Furman looks like they are going to go with a lineup on offense that features three true freshmen going forward (OT, C, QB). Certainly not where Furman fans thought we'd be after five games. At this stage, the coaching staff has little option but to start getting anyone out there that can jumpstart the offense.

Mercer gets their first SoCon win in program history. Congrats.

Samford still can do a lot of damage going forward, but if you are going to lose a conference game, you would prefer to do it against a team that you don't expect to chase the rest of the season.

Georgia Southern beat the crap out of App. There ya' go. ;)

AshevilleApp2
September 30th, 2014, 03:26 PM
One of those few yearsxcoolx

This is eerily familiar.

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I personally don't think the CCU/Furman game will get out of hand. Furman and Coastal have played relatively tight contests over their short history with the average margin of victory in 5 games at 5.6 points.

Furman is 11-8 all time against top five teams in Paladin Stadium (as reported by soconjohn). An underdog Furman team dropped both #3 App State and #5 Wofford at home over a three week span in 2011.

Coastal is still the heavy favorite, but Furman's season may well hang in the balance here. A win over a top 5 team would do a lot to erase some of the bad memories of the last few weeks.

ElCid
September 30th, 2014, 05:10 PM
HAHAHA, that's what I get for not proofreading! Here's the corrected version.

Power Rankings:
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Western Carolina
4) Wofford
5) The Citadel
6) Furman
7) Mercer
8) VMI

This week:

You really think Wofford is better or are you going with recent history?

citdog
September 30th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I personally don't think the CCU/Furman game will get out of hand. Furman and Coastal have played relatively tight contests over their short history with the average margin of victory in 5 games at 5.6 points.

Furman is 11-8 all time against top five teams in Paladin Stadium (as reported by soconjohn). An underdog Furman team dropped both #3 App State and #5 Wofford at home over a three week span in 2011.

Coastal is still the heavy favorite, but Furman's season may well hang in the balance here. A win over a top 5 team would do a lot to erase some of the bad memories of the last few weeks.

You lost to pc. Ain't nothing going to erase that.

longtimemocfan
September 30th, 2014, 06:07 PM

I would not count Samford out of the title hunt at all right now. It's just one loss. I was pretty impressed by your QB. He is very talented with a good skill set. Your O line still has some time to jell. We can pretty much rotate 8 along our D Line and if you end up in a must pass situation it's not going to be good for your QB.This was the first time our O Line played with any continuity all year. I think Samford will still have a lot to do with who wins the title in the end .

chattownmocs
September 30th, 2014, 08:06 PM

This guy gets wore and woree every week. Let me help you, Furman is one of the worst teams in the entire county. They cant win.

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2014, 08:19 PM

Don't remind me. You play a team as often as we play PC and they are bound to nip you at some point.

Not the end of the world, though. I mean, Furman lost to Newberry in a year they played in the national title game.

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2014, 08:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/bottom10140923/the-bad-get-worse-bottom-10

In other news, ESPN writer puts App State among the ten worst teams in FBS football. I think there are 128 teams to chose from.

chattanoogamocs
September 30th, 2014, 09:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/bottom10140923/the-bad-get-worse-bottom-10

In other news, ESPN writer puts App State among the ten worst teams in FBS football. I think there are 128 teams to chose from.

Ouch, welcome to the big time.

Sun Belt is well represented with 3 of the bottom 10 (ASU, Troy and Idaho).

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2014, 12:58 AM
GW not very disciplined versus Option. We were able to loosen them up throwing on first down. Esp early in game. GW defense was worn down in second half. This is one of Houston's main strategies.

Citadel had 10 sacks with 70 total yards lost. They were -2 yds rushing for game.

GW appears to be different team on the road than at home. Beat Wofford at home and get shellacked by us on road?

we finally put some things together. Not a perfect game but a solid gameplan and scoring early really helped. Our conditioning was much better than GW. We were actually losing 14-13 in early 3rd quarter.

I would predict a win for CSU.

Wofford also apparently injured GW a lot as apparently there were an abundance of players out, particularly on offense for the runnin bulldogs.

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2014, 01:03 AM
Also, I wouldn't call what Wofford is having this year a down year given we had a losing record last year. I say we're a 6-5 to 7-4 team right now. Our offense is much improved and I would be surprised if the Citadel held us to less than 24. Defense is another story.

With that said, we're not having a rare down year, those happen every 4 years ago, we're having a rare inconsistent year which happens sparsely (2004, 2006, 2011)

CID1990
October 1st, 2014, 08:31 AM
Wofford also apparently injured GW a lot as apparently there were an abundance of players out, particularly on offense for the runnin bulldogs.

Those players you are referring to?

Three of them also did not play against Wofford (Geter, Burch and Sutton).

And that great receiver of theirs actually did play but did not catch a pass which is why he doesnt show up in the stats.

The guy on the Wofford board where you got your info was incorrect. I would agree that trying to use GW as a gauge as to how El Cid and Wofford stack up is not a great metric, but the whole "we played against GW's "A team" meme is based on incorrect info.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2014, 08:50 AM
Those players you are referring to?

Three of them also did not play against Wofford (Geter, Burch and Sutton).

And that great receiver of theirs actually did play but did not catch a pass which is why he doesnt show up in the stats.

The guy on the Wofford board where you got your info was incorrect. I would agree that trying to use GW as a gauge as to how El Cid and Wofford stack up is not a great metric, but the whole "we played against GW's "A team" meme is based on incorrect info.

Not sure what to make of the Gardner Webb triangulation.

GWU couldn't move the ball six inches against Furman. They put 40+ against Wofford. They then struggled to move the ball against the Citadel.

On the flip side, Wofford ran all over them, the Citadel moved it well, and Furman struggled to score. Only real take away from this point in the season is that Furman is not good on offense, and Wofford is not particularly good on defense.

Truly, though, I have no idea.

Catamount87
October 1st, 2014, 08:53 AM
You really think Wofford is better or are you going with recent history?

Statistically it's nearly a dead heat, hence the biggest reason I said it'll be a dog fight. I really think it'll be a close game. But there are a couple of statistical differences that lead me to lean towards Wofford, scoring offense, Wofford is at 36.5 ppg vs Citadel's 20.8 and scoring defense, Wofford is at 30.8 and Citadel is at 25.5. Being that the game is in Spartanburg and they're SO/SD difference is better, I chose Wofford. Honestly, this is probably splitting hairs because I really think it's anyone's game. I had to choose one, so the home team got the nod.

BTW, you can find statistics at http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2014, 10:13 AM
http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2014/confldrs.htm

Here is a statistical oddity. Furman is actually better than UTC in many offensive categories, despite being one of the worst offenses in Furman history. Also worthy of note is that UTC is actually playing with their all-conference QB whereas Furman is not.

I think the culprit is in the Redzone offense. UTC is 100% scoring in the redzone. Furman is 64%. Suggests that the difference in winning and not winning comes down to the little things.

Mocs123
October 1st, 2014, 10:28 AM
UTCs stats are skewed because of our first two games. Our offensive performance against JSU was the worst performance I have ever seen watching D1 football. We had 111 yards of TOTAL offense. It was embarrassing and pathetic. Our defense played a pretty good game despite being on the field the whole game. We also had something like 9 yards in the second half against CMU in the opener.

We have played better the past few weeks and it has showed. It all starts up front and we are very inexperienced on the line. We have a new coach, two freshmen one sophomore, and a senior that moved over from the D line. We moved some people around on the offensive line before the Samford game and that seems to have helped.

If our O Line continues to improve we can be a good offensive team but right now we aren't that great. We do have some weapons with a very talented QB, RB, and TE.

Right now we are winning with defense and special teams. To win the conference we will need our offense to step up because at some point we may have to put points on the board.

ElCid
October 1st, 2014, 11:26 AM
Statistically it's nearly a dead heat, hence the biggest reason I said it'll be a dog fight. I really think it'll be a close game. But there are a couple of statistical differences that lead me to lean towards Wofford, scoring offense, Wofford is at 36.5 ppg vs Citadel's 20.8 and scoring defense, Wofford is at 30.8 and Citadel is at 25.5. Being that the game is in Spartanburg and they're SO/SD difference is better, I chose Wofford. Honestly, this is probably splitting hairs because I really think it's anyone's game. I had to choose one, so the home team got the nod.

BTW, you can find statistics at http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary.

I looked at the stats closely but I think you also have to look at the opponents. 36 vs 21 offensive points sure, but The Citadel had CCU, FSU, and CSU compared to GT, N Greenville and UVA Wise for Wofford, and both had GW. Not exactly the same. Not sure if Woffy has been sandbagging to date, experimenting with different schemes/players or they have just been unmotivated.

Throw in comparison of the D stats, in light of the opponents, and I like it even better. But in regard to pass defense, we are both in the dog house. Also, as YT has pointed out, The Citadel, at least recently, has done better in Sparklecity than in Charleston. Not sure that is a location thing or it has just coincidently matched up with the overall quality of both teams in those years. So you may be right about the home team. I think it will be a Dog fight as well, but I like the stats, even if they appear even at this point. I think the biggest challenge for the Bulldogs on Saturday will be psychological given the recent history.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 1st, 2014, 11:36 AM

About as bad as losing to Charleston Sothern...or The Citadel for that matter.

citdog
October 1st, 2014, 11:48 AM

Charleston Southern whipped your manlover appy last season. You would know about losing to The Citadel wouldn't you!

chattanoogamocs
October 1st, 2014, 12:07 PM
http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2014/confldrs.htm

Here is a statistical oddity. Furman is actually better than UTC in many offensive categories, despite being one of the worst offenses in Furman history. Also worthy of note is that UTC is actually playing with their all-conference QB whereas Furman is not.

I think the culprit is in the Redzone offense. UTC is 100% scoring in the redzone. Furman is 64%. Suggests that the difference in winning and not winning comes down to the little things.

The defense and special teams have scored a number of times this season (or put them in short yardage situations after interceptions/returns) to help take up the slack in the offensive numbers. Fortunately, they have finally ironed out some of the OLine issues (they basically played musical chairs with the starters) and the offense is being to click.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2014, 12:46 PM
The defense and special teams have scored a number of times this season (or put them in short yardage situations after interceptions/returns) to help take up the slack in the offensive numbers. Fortunately, they have finally ironed out some of the OLine issues (they basically played musical chairs with the starters) and the offense is being to click.

Sounds a lot like Furman last year. Lot of forced turnovers, gives offense a short field, converts scoring chances into points.

Furman's offense was not significantly better last year even with Reese Hannon and Dakota Dozier. They did, however, hang on to the football, utilize field position, and put points on the board.

Jiggs
October 1st, 2014, 01:15 PM
Until we can get an O-Line push, I'm not totally convinced we will even be in the top 3, although the talent is there.

You are correct, sir. If that problem can't be fixed, it will be a long season.

Smitty
October 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM

Yeah they actually are producing on offense right now and only lost to you by 5.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2014, 02:47 PM
Yeah they actually are producing on offense right now and only lost to you by 5.

Mercer has beaten three lower classification teams and VMI. That schedule would make just about any team look like the '99 Rams. I daresay even Furman could score some points against that slate.

CID1990
October 1st, 2014, 03:05 PM

Either the sun blet board is boring as hell, or they shun you there.

Probably a combination of both

longtimemocfan
October 1st, 2014, 03:33 PM

Despite being significantly younger on defense this year, we have been able to turn the opposition over more to create points this season.

chattanoogamocs
October 1st, 2014, 03:48 PM
Despite being significantly younger on defense this year, we have been able to turn the opposition over more to create points this season.

Yeah, it is heartening to look at the top 20 tacklers in the SoCon and of the 5 Mocs on the list, 3 are sophomores (Nettles, Virgin, Leslie) and one is a freshman (Webb)...Wakeel is the lone senior. As long as everyone stays healthy, there is a lot of depth on the defense for years to come.

Catamount87
October 2nd, 2014, 10:19 AM
Did y'all see the SoCon Power Poll in Macon, GA newspaper, The Telegraph? What's this guy smoking?

http://www.macon.com/2014/09/30/3333682/southern-conference-power-poll.html?sp=/99/160/181/#storylink=cpy

1. Chattanooga Last week: Beat Samford 38-24.
This week: vs. VMI, 4 p.m., Saturday.

2. Samford
Last week: Lost 38-24 to Chattanooga.
This week: vs. Mercer, 3 p.m., Saturday.

3. Wofford
Last week: Beat UVA-Wise 49-15.
This week: vs. The Citadel, 1:30 p.m., Saturday.

4. Mercer
Last week: Beat VMI 27-24.
This week: at Samford, 3 p.m., Saturday.

5. The Citadel
Last week: Beat Gardner-Webb 37-14.
This week: at Wofford, 1:30 p.m., Saturday.

6. Western Carolina
Last week: Beat Furman 35-17.
This week: at Presbyterian, 2 p.m., Saturday.

7. Furman
Last week: Lost 35-17 to Western Carolina.
This week: vs. Coastal Carolina, 7 p.m., Saturday.

8. VMI
Last week: Lost 27-24 to Mercer.

This week: at Chattanooga, 4 p.m., Saturday.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/09/30/3333682/southern-conference-power-poll.html?sp=/99/160/181/#storylink=cpy

Sandlapper Spike
October 2nd, 2014, 10:27 AM
He must have been very impressed with Mercer's victory over Ave Maria...

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2014, 10:30 AM
Lived in Macon for years. Have a degree from Mercer. Mercer, and Macon to a large degree, literally thinks Mercer football is the bee's knees.

Some of that is a "newness" factor. Mercer has started a program with great fan fare, and have only lost three times in now 16 games. It's a great time to be a fan of that program, truly.

I was hoping Furman was going to dash the Bear fans with a dose of reality. Unfortunately, we can't get our shoes tied this season. Looks like it will have to be Samford.

walliver
October 2nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Yeah, it is heartening to look at the top 20 tacklers in the SoCon and of the 5 Mocs on the list, 3 are sophomores (Nettles, Virgin, Leslie) and one is a freshman (Webb)...Wakeel is the lone senior. As long as everyone stays healthy, there is a lot of depth on the defense for years to come.

I have never really gotten a feel for defensive statistics. Basically the more non-scoring plays your opponent runs, the more tackles you will have. In that case an offense controlling the ball and a D creating lots of 3 and outs will have "lesser" numbers than a team giving up lots of first downs with a weak offense. Also if Player A gets lots of tackles, does that mean he is a great player, or simply that the opponent is running away from Player B

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2014, 11:11 AM
I have never really gotten a feel for defensive statistics. Basically the more non-scoring plays your opponent runs, the more tackles you will have. In that case an offense controlling the ball and a D creating lots of 3 and outs will have "lesser" numbers than a team giving up lots of first downs with a weak offense. Also if Player A gets lots of tackles, does that mean he is a great player, or simply that the opponent is running away from Player B

Also hard in the SoCon. Last season the top rush defenses in the conference were the Citadel, Wofford, and Georgia Southern. Decent defenses, sure, but they also have good numbers against the run because whereas the rest of the conference had to face three option run teams, those three only had to face two.

On a statistical sidenote, Furman lost its all conference MLB Carl Rider for the season (he played a few plays against Mercer this year, but that was it). Rider was the SoCon's leading tackler last year. This year's leader in tackles is his backup, Cory Magwood. Love consistency.

walliver
October 2nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
Also hard in the SoCon. Last season the top rush defenses in the conference were the Citadel, Wofford, and Georgia Southern. Decent defenses, sure, but they also have good numbers against the run because whereas the rest of the conference had to face three option run teams, those three only had to face two.

I think a big part of the defensive number advantage is that a well-run option offense keeps the defense off the field and the opponents have fewer total plays. The other thing is that I have always felt that most teams end up running a defense to stop their own offense. They practice against it every day.

Catamount87
October 2nd, 2014, 12:27 PM
Those run oriented offenses often rely on cut blocking as part of their blocking scheme. If you watch closely, they're often dancing a fine line between cut blocking and chop blocking. Honestly, how this blocking technique is allowed in this safety crazed day and age, is beyond me.

Sandlapper Spike
October 2nd, 2014, 12:40 PM
Practically every team cut blocks. If you ban cut blocking, might as well put flags on the players and call it a day.

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
On a statistical sidenote, Furman lost its all conference MLB Carl Rider for the season (he played a few plays against Mercer this year, but that was it). Rider was the SoCon's leading tackler last year. This year's leader in tackles is his backup, Cory Magwood. Love consistency.

I believe Byron Johnson is/was Carl Rider's backup...

From the Game Notes @ NDSU...

MLB 55 CARL RIDER .........................(6-2, 214, So.)
31 Byron Johnson .....................(6-1, 210, Fr.)
WLB 10 MARCUS MCMORRIS..........(6-0, 200, R-Jr.)
46 Cory Magwood.....................(6-1, 216, So.)

Regardless of the game notes, line-ups, etc.....Rider played in the middle last year where Johnson is playing now. Magwood is an OLB....I'm sure Rider is missed greatly in the middle, but Magwood is a truly OUTSTANDING LB.

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2014, 03:25 PM
I believe Byron Johnson is/was Carl Rider's backup...

From the Game Notes @ NDSU...

MLB 55 CARL RIDER .........................(6-2, 214, So.)
31 Byron Johnson .....................(6-1, 210, Fr.)
WLB 10 MARCUS MCMORRIS..........(6-0, 200, R-Jr.)
46 Cory Magwood.....................(6-1, 216, So.)

Regardless of the game notes, line-ups, etc.....Rider played in the middle last year where Johnson is playing now. Magwood is an OLB....I'm sure Rider is missed greatly in the middle, but Magwood is a truly OUTSTANDING LB.

You are probably correct, but it more a question of semantics, really. Many of Furman's defensive sets feature two linebackers and a nickelback (usually Marcus McMorris). Depending on down and distance, you might see three linebackers with TJ Warren.

I suppose the point is that Furman lost the conference's leading tackler to injury, and still has a player that is leading the SoCon in tackles. 64 through 5 games is racking up some stops.

Glad to see Furman returning to its roots as a "Linebacker U" of sorts. Hopefully they don't all go to waste with this offense (though they should all return next season as well).

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
Those run oriented offenses often rely on cut blocking as part of their blocking scheme. If you watch closely, they're often dancing a fine line between cut blocking and chop blocking. Honestly, how this blocking technique is allowed in this safety crazed day and age, is beyond me.

I noted this after the Mercer game, but I saw Furman's DBs actually going through a cut blocking drill in pregame warmups. One guy would dive at the other guys legs after a few seconds of blocking.

Lamb coached teams were well known for their tendency to cut block anywhere and everywhere on the field, including the endzone. I think it's just part of the game you have to be prepared for.

chattanoogamocs
October 2nd, 2014, 04:00 PM

There are so many things that can influence defensive stats...like what you have mentioned. Of course, you can also have a great offense that scores quickly, which put the defense on a lot...and, obviously, if you go up against a lot of grinding run teams (very popular in the SoCon), they tend to have drives with a lot more plays (and thus more tackles).

The only real point I was trying to make is that the guys who are making the tackles for UTC are all young (and starting)...and since UTC's defense is pretty decent, it is a good sign that it will stay that way for some time.

The other thing I like to see is a team that has tackles spread around amongst many players, not just one or two. By sheer numbers, the "best" tackler UTC ever had was Josh Cain...but was he really the best? Or was it more that he was the only decent player on a really bad defense and was constantly having to save everyone else's a$$? :) (I tend to think it is the latter).

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Bruce Fowler announced tonight that PJ Blazejowski will get the starting nod for the Paladins against Coastal. Blazejowski was highly regarded by Furman when picked up out of a 6A Florida high school. Considered the heir apparent to the QB position, with Hannon's injury and Woodruff's ineffectiveness, the future is now apparently.

Not a big guy (6'0 190), but has a good arm and good athleticism. Hard to find a 1:1 comparison for him in SoCon football, but his highlight film reminds me a bit of App State's Richie Williams (Williams is a little taller). Not elite straight line speed, but quick feet, and quick release. Can make a lot of guys miss when he tucks and runs.

Woodruff struggled all season filling in for Reese Hannon. I'm sure Coach Fowler was reluctant to pull the shirt off Blazejowski last week against WCU, but at this stage, he is left with few options. The offense is operating at a historically bad pace, and we are getting to the point where the season hangs in the balance. Blazejowski is a guy that can make plays out there.

As a side note, this is Furman's fourth different starting QB and sixth different overall QB used since the start of the 2013 season. Not sure I can remember a run of issues at one position like the Paladins have had at QB. Also notable is that Furman will start Matthew Schmidt at C, another true FR. Not sure when was the last time Furman had a true FR at QB and C, but I'm sure it hasn't happened often.

BearDownMU
October 3rd, 2014, 09:13 PM
Bruce Fowler announced tonight that PJ Blazejowski will get the starting nod for the Paladins against Coastal. Blazejowski was highly regarded by Furman when picked up out of a 6A Florida high school. Considered the heir apparent to the QB position, with Hannon's injury and Woodruff's ineffectiveness, the future is now apparently.

Not a big guy (6'0 190), but has a good arm and good athleticism. Hard to find a 1:1 comparison for him in SoCon football, but his highlight film reminds me a bit of App State's Richie Williams (Williams is a little taller). Not elite straight line speed, but quick feet, and quick release. Can make a lot of guys miss when he tucks and runs.

Woodruff struggled all season filling in for Reese Hannon. I'm sure Coach Fowler was reluctant to pull the shirt off Blazejowski last week against WCU, but at this stage, he is left with few options. The offense is operating at a historically bad pace, and we are getting to the point where the season hangs in the balance. Blazejowski is a guy that can make plays out there.

As a side note, this is Furman's fourth different starting QB and sixth different overall QB used since the start of the 2013 season. Not sure I can remember a run of issues at one position like the Paladins have had at QB. Also notable is that Furman will start Matthew Schmidt at C, another true FR. Not sure when was the last time Furman had a true FR at QB and C, but I'm sure it hasn't happened often.

Sounds a little like #7 John Russ. 6-0, 199. Streaky, but throws pretty well. Very creative with his feet. Runs the read option pretty well.

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Before anyone says anything, I looked at the replay. The Citadel QB was not in.

utcfan
October 4th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Citadel 13
Wofford 17

VMI 7
UTC 55

Western Carolina 14
Presbyterian 19

Mercer 18
Samford 21

Coastal 37
Furman 31 2OT/Final

ESPN has changed the CCU and FU score again.

Smitty
October 4th, 2014, 09:15 PM
and Furman over Coastal. If that happens I am driving to Asheville to buy somebody dinnerxthumbsupx

Dang almost got a fancy dinner...

chattownmocs
October 4th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Gamecast is very confused. I think coastal just won in 2OT but I'm not sure.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Hate losing, but I feel a bit better after seeing Furman show up against Coastal. That was the Paladin team I expected to see the first five games of the season. That's the team that I thought could play with anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Gamecast is very confused. I think coastal just won in 2OT but I'm not sure.

They did. Furman blocked a field goal at the end of regulation. Teams traded field goals in 1st OT. Furman missed FG in second OT and Coastal put it in the end zone to win it.

BullDog85
October 4th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Furman has a QB now. Night and day difference between Blaze and Woodruff. Blaze stands in the pocket and delivers...Woodruff gets too spooked and panics. Bad call by Fowler in the first OT by calling a timeout right in the middle of the FG attempt...haven't seen too many coaches try to ice their own FG kickers. My Dogs had all kinds of opportunities to win their game, but came up inches short. Even with replay I doubt the call on the field would have been over ruled....maybe next year.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Furman has a QB now. Night and day difference between Blaze and Woodruff. Blaze stands in the pocket and delivers...Woodruff gets too spooked and panics. Bad call by Fowler in the first OT by calling a timeout right in the middle of the FG attempt...haven't seen too many coaches try to ice their own FG kickers. My Dogs had all kinds of opportunities to win their game, but came up inches short. Even with replay I doubt the call on the field would have been over ruled....maybe next year.

I have no idea if Blazejowski is the answer. He was supposed to be the #3 this year and wait in the wings. Still, necessity dictates he take the reigns.

He seems to have a little more presence than Woodruff. Woodruff would tend to sail a lot of his passes, and while fast, does not have the type of mobility Blazejowski has. Blazejowksi is still just a freshman, but his elusiveness makes him an immediate threat on the ground. That should allow the passing game to open up.

At the end of the day, Furman couldn't buy a touchdown the first five weeks of the season. Blazejowski just lead the team to 31 points against a defense that has not allowed more than 3 in each of the last three games. I think he's the guy.

Sandlapper Spike
October 4th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I'm fairly confident Aaron Miller scored, but it doesn't matter. Not for the first time, and I'm sure not for the last time, The Citadel gets the short end of the stick from SoCon officiating.

The officials on the goal line appeared confused, hesitated, and then made the call that favored the home team. I'm sure the commissioner will automatically induct them into the league's Hall of Fame.

It's not as bad as the 2008 game against Elon (nothing could be quite that atrocious). It's frustrating, though.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2014, 10:49 PM
In the season long race to 1-11, App State loses to South Alabama tonight at home 47-21. Games was 40-7 after the third quarter.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 4th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I have no idea if Blazejowski is the answer. He was supposed to be the #3 this year and wait in the wings. Still, necessity dictates he take the reigns.

Haven't been able to watch, but I would say OT with Coastal is a big step forward from losing to Presbyterian and SC State.

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Haven't been able to watch, but I would say OT with Coastal is a big step forward from losing to Presbyterian and SC State.

Absolutely. Offense was abysmal in those games.

Furman had a new rotation along the offensive line, a true FR QB, and really started to see a healthy return from RB Hank McCloud and FB Ernie Cain. Cain is a relatively unheralded member of Furman's offense, but I did not realize how sorely he was missed the first half of the season until I saw what he does blocking out of the backfield in his return to the field.

highlights from tonight. http://youtu.be/KLzRsPT0mtU

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I'm fairly confident Aaron Miller scored, but it doesn't matter. Not for the first time, and I'm sure not for the last time, The Citadel gets the short end of the stick from SoCon officiating.

The officials on the goal line appeared confused, hesitated, and then made the call that favored the home team. I'm sure the commissioner will automatically induct them into the league's Hall of Fame.

It's not as bad as the 2008 game against Elon (nothing could be quite that atrocious). It's frustrating, though.

If you would notice on the replay, Miller approached the goal line carrying the ball in his left hand and was "helicoptered" to the ground upon reaching the goal line. His right side broke the plain, but his left did not and the ball did not break the plain until after he was down.

Here's a picture from a decent angle a fraction of a second before the end of the play

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SJ&Date=20141004&Category=ARTICLES&ArtNo=141009813&Ref=AR&Profile=1112&imageVersion=Main&MaxW=445&border=0

From my angle on the other side of the field (not the best angle) I thought he scored. The officials both marked him on the same spot and the commentators for ESPN3 both thought he was short from the initial outset.

I can totally understand why the Citadel would be frustrated, I thought it was a bad call at first too, but if there was instant replay there isn't enough evidence to overturn the call.

I think it was a good one.

dungeonjoe
October 5th, 2014, 04:42 AM
To me it looks like the ball doesn't cross the plane of the goal until he is down.

You decide
http://instagram.com/p/tvxCCyg21O/

CID1990
October 5th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Before anyone says anything, I looked at the replay. The Citadel QB was not in.

You are one of a precious few saying that. Disinterested fans who were at the game agree that he was in and his knee never touched.

Enjoy the win and we'll see the Terriers next year.

dungeonjoe
October 5th, 2014, 05:57 AM
You are one of a precious few saying that. Disinterested fans who were at the game agree that he was in and his knee never touched.

for any fan to be at that game and watch the ebb and flow and drama of that contest and be disinterested is more of a stretch than whether the ball crossed the goal line or not.

CID1990
October 5th, 2014, 06:26 AM
for any fan to be at that game and watch the ebb and flow and drama of that contest and be disinterested is more of a stretch than whether the ball crossed the goal line or not.

No, I am saying fans of teams other than Wofford or El Cid.

OrangeJuice
October 5th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Lived in Macon for years. Have a degree from Mercer. Mercer, and Macon to a large degree, literally thinks Mercer football is the bee's knees.

Some of that is a "newness" factor. Mercer has started a program with great fan fare, and have only lost three times in now 16 games. It's a great time to be a fan of that program, truly.

I was hoping Furman was going to dash the Bear fans with a dose of reality. Unfortunately, we can't get our shoes tied this season. Looks like it will have to be Samford.

Agree with Catamount87 that the Macon paper was definitely smoking something with their power rankings. I wouldn't have Mercer any higher than 7th in SOCON. But we (Mercer) are still looking for that dose of reality. Both Furman & Samford were favored by 3 touchdowns and the Bears were in both games until the last minute. We have 1 scholarship class and they are all 1st year players. I think the dose of reality is going to be experienced by the rest of the SOCON over the next few years if we can keep Coach Lamb and his staff on board in Macon.

BTW - come to Macon to watch a game if you can get a ticket. Ask Furman about the atmosphere. Mercer football has taken over the school but also the city of Macon. There is a reason Baylor's President left to come to Mercer.

Biff
October 5th, 2014, 06:44 AM
If you would notice on the replay, Miller approached the goal line carrying the ball in his left hand and was "helicoptered" to the ground upon reaching the goal line. His right side broke the plain, but his left did not and the ball did not break the plain until after he was down.

Here's a picture from a decent angle a fraction of a second before the end of the play

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SJ&Date=20141004&Category=ARTICLES&ArtNo=141009813&Ref=AR&Profile=1112&imageVersion=Main&MaxW=445&border=0

From my angle on the other side of the field (not the best angle) I thought he scored. The officials both marked him on the same spot and the commentators for ESPN3 both thought he was short from the initial outset.

I can totally understand why the Citadel would be frustrated, I thought it was a bad call at first too, but if there was instant replay there isn't enough evidence to overturn the call.

I think the point you captured the picture is to late. The video dungeonjoe shows the left side spin first towards the goal line; then the right side before landing on his back. The angle is poor and not a good way to to truly see whether the ball broke the plain or not. Frustrating way to lose. Thank God this is our coaches first year. If he progresses like most coaches do … we have a few good years ahead of us.

dungeonjoe
October 5th, 2014, 07:07 AM
No, I am saying fans of teams other than Wofford or El Cid. thanks for the clarification.
I suspect those same disinterested fans would have caught the missed illegal procedure call earlier in the drive, wondered why the Citadel got 5 plays on 4 downs, and questioned why 10 seconds didn't run off with the injury (I couldn't hear the refs explanation with the wind and the bad PA).
The truth is, both teams had ample opportunity to seal a victory well before the last play of the game. One play, does not a ball game make. The turnovers alone should have cost Wofford the game. The way they moved the ball passing in the last series tells me the Bulldogs could have done that all day.

As for the streak, it seems nobody remembers the double digit number of times in a row Wofford lost to the Citadel prior to this current streak. If one looks at the series record, The Citadel is well ahead.

Every dog has his day.

OL FU
October 5th, 2014, 08:07 AM

I agree with you except that he missed the FG that didn't count and made it after the time out. This was the first in OT. He missed the second field goal attempt. On the other hand, oh to have that double pass play with the wide open receiver back:(

- - - Updated - - -

Dang almost got a fancy dinner...

I would have been up there tonight.

Millwoch
October 5th, 2014, 08:08 AM
thanks for the clarification.
I suspect those same disinterested fans would have caught the missed illegal procedure call earlier in the drive, wondered why the Citadel got 5 plays on 4 downs, and questioned why 10 seconds didn't run off with the injury (I couldn't hear the refs explanation with the wind and the bad PA).
The truth is, both teams had ample opportunity to seal a victory well before the last play of the game. One play, does not a ball game make. The turnovers alone should have cost Wofford the game. The way they moved the ball passing in the last series tells me the Bulldogs could have done that all day.

As for the streak, it seems nobody remembers the double digit number of times in a row Wofford lost to the Citadel prior to this current streak. If one looks at the series record, The Citadel is well ahead.

Every dog has his day.

there was no 10 second runoff because they got a first down on the play and the clock stops. It was managed correctly. The rule states the injury must be the only cause of the stoppage in play to take effect.

officiating is never perfect, esp in socon. Both teams had chances to put game away, esp wofford. In the end it came down to an inch. Wofford has best run defense in conference and I think that bodes well for El CID here on out. Houston has our team and attitude heading the right direction. It was a devastating loss for us and we are pissed. All we can do at this point is look at the positives and get better.

Sandlapper Spike
October 5th, 2014, 08:09 AM
The more I look at it, the more it looks like a TD. And it looked like a TD live.

It was a bad call. The officials blew it. Oh well.

It's the Southern Conference. Amazingly, the basketball officiating is worse.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 11:11 AM

That was a touchdown and a victory for the Cadets STOLEN from them. If this were the MVFC with replay TWO calls by the same side Judge would have been overturned. On the 4th down play before we totally whipped you on your last possession and got the ball back The Citadel ball carrier crossed the line to make by a yard and a half yet the side judge marked it short. The same side judge made the call on the TOUCHDOWN on the last play. You won the game with a GREAT DEAL OF HELP from one particular referee who should NEVER officiate another game involving The Citadel Bulldogs EVER AGAIN.

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Considering both the side judges did not think it was a touchdown, nor did the play by play commentators, this is not as clear cut as the el cid fans would have you think.

Either way there was a Wofford body that got in the way of the ball crossing the goal line and it's never going to be 100% clear.

- - - Updated - - -

The only people I hear saying what you're saying are Citadel fans.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Considering both the side judges did not think it was a touchdown, nor did the play by play commentators, this is not as clear cut as the el cid fans would have you think.

Either way there was a Wofford body that got in the way of the ball crossing the goal line and it's never going to be 100% clear.

- - - Updated - - -

You need some glasses bro. Perhaps you and that particular side judge can get a two for one at lens crafters in the sparkle city mall.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You need some glasses bro. Perhaps you and that particular side judge can get a two for one at lens crafters in the sparkle city mall.

Reign of Terrier
October 5th, 2014, 12:23 PM
If you look at the replay understanding full well that Miller has the ball in his left hand until his butt pivots off the ground, it's not hard to see.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 12:27 PM
If you look at the replay understanding full well that Miller has the ball in his left hand until his butt pivots off the ground, it's not hard to see.

That was a TOUCHDOWN. You won't admit it because you CAN'T. To say NOTHING of the 4th down play that was an OBVIOUS, except to the side judge, first down on The Citadel's previous drive. You won the game but needed MASSIVE help from one particular individual to do so. We'll see you in General Hagood's House next season. I'd HATE to be a terrier then.

Biff
October 5th, 2014, 12:34 PM

The left hand swung across the goal line as he rotated to put his right side on the goal line. During the rotation the left side with the ball crossed the line.

dungeonjoe
October 5th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I will agree the officiating was horrible. Several blown calls were made (both ways) throughout the game. However, BOTH sides judges called the play down short of the goal line--at the same spot incidentally. He went down short of the line and rolled over.

regardless, I say again...one play does not a game make...Citadel and Wofford had ample opportunity to seal the deal throughout the day.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I will agree the officiating was horrible. Several blown calls were made (both ways) throughout the game. However, BOTH sides judges called the play down short of the goal line--at the same spot incidentally. He went down short of the line and rolled over.

regardless, I say again...one play does not a game make...Citadel and Wofford had ample opportunity to seal the deal throughout the day.

With all due respect Parson we all know who really won that football game. We'll see what happens next year in Charleston. This week I'd hate to be a Charlotte 49'r.

OL FU
October 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM
With all due respect Parson we all know who really won that football game. We'll see what happens next year in Charleston. This week I'd hate to be a Charlotte 49'r.

xlolx Next year for the 17th year in a rowxrotatehx

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 12:46 PM
xlolx Next year for the 17th year in a rowxrotatehx

We ain't the Chicago Cubs.........YET

OrangeJuice
October 5th, 2014, 12:53 PM
That was a TOUCHDOWN. You won't admit it because you CAN'T. To say NOTHING of the 4th down play that was an OBVIOUS, except to the side judge, first down on The Citadel's previous drive. You won the game but needed MASSIVE help from one particular individual to do so. We'll see you in General Hagood's House next season. I'd HATE to be a terrier then.

Does anyone know if MUSTARD GAS causes long-term side affect of ALL CAPS SYNDROME??

OL FU
October 5th, 2014, 12:54 PM
We ain't the Chicago Cubs.........YET

I hope not. That's a yankee team:)

dungeonjoe
October 5th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Yes, we will respectfully disagree on the point of the victorious team. Given that dynamic, it says a lot about the cadet in question and his head coach by how they have presented themselves with class in the media since the game.

CID1990
October 5th, 2014, 01:06 PM

- - - Updated - - -

There was a NDSU fan and a CSU fan at the game and they are both on AGS saying it was a TD.

But it doesnt matter. Weve been to this rodeo long enough to know that if you play a game close enough in the SoCon, the refs are going to decide the question and they rarely do a good job of it.

OrangeJuice
October 5th, 2014, 02:27 PM
There was a NDSU fan and a CSU fan at the game and they are both on AGS saying it was a TD.

But it doesnt matter. Weve been to this rodeo long enough to know that if you play a game close enough in the SoCon, the refs are going to decide the question and they rarely do a good job of it.

Well then that settles it. If both an NDSU fan AND a CSU fan said it on AFS then it must be true. Did anyone tell the SOCON representatives so they can overturn the game result?

dungeonjoe
October 5th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Well then that settles it. If both an NDSU fan AND a CSU fan said it on AFS then it must be true. Did anyone tell the SOCON representatives so they can overturn the game result? now that's funny right there.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Does anyone know if MUSTARD GAS causes long-term side affect of ALL CAPS SYNDROME??

Do you know you are delicious when freshly squeezed?

- - - Updated - - -

Well then that settles it. If both an NDSU fan AND a CSU fan said it on AFS then it must be true. Did anyone tell the SOCON representatives so they can overturn the game result?

Do you even know where you are?

FCSfan
October 5th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Probably a safe bet that Coach Houston isn't whining about the final play or the SoCon refs or the 16 year drought or the opinions of broadcasters, AGS posters, Citadel fans, NDSU or CSU fans or anything other than the fact he had 60 minutes and many plays to change the outcome of the game and his kids didn't.

Additionally, I'm sure he's not making vendetta remarks about next year's Wofford game being the one or sending emails to Charlotte warning them not to even make the trip to Charleston because of the pending wrath that surely awaits them.

He's smart enough to have already put Saturday's result behind him, instructed his kids to do the same and is busy creating a solid game plan for a hungry 49er team that needs a win too.

citdog
October 5th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Probably a safe bet that Coach Houston isn't whining about the final play or the SoCon refs or the 16 year drought or the opinions of broadcasters, AGS posters, Citadel fans, NDSU or CSU fans or anything other than the fact he had 60 minutes and many plays to change the outcome of the game and his kids didn't.

Additionally, I'm sure he's not making vendetta remarks about next year's Wofford game being the one or sending emails to Charlotte warning them not to even make the trip to Charleston because of the pending wrath that surely awaits them.

He's smart enough to have already put Saturday's result behind him, instructed his kids to do the same and is busy creating a solid game plan for a hungry 49er team that needs a win too.

That's why he's the Coach. He's got a job to do and this ain't basketball so unc-charlotte loses.

OrangeJuice
October 5th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Do you even know where you are?

Yes. Thanks for asking. Right now I am packing up a record amount of vintage cheese to send to you in Charleston. I know you need some to go with all of that wine.

CID1990
October 6th, 2014, 02:57 AM

I didnt say that settles it. I can see for myself that it was a blown call.

The Wofford poster claimed that only El Cid fans were claiming it was a blown call. My point was in response to that- that the few disinterested people who were at the game (and who are talking about it) are also saying they thought it was a blown call.

OrangeJuice
October 6th, 2014, 05:31 AM
I didnt say that settles it. I can see for myself that it was a blown call.

The Wofford poster claimed that only El Cid fans were claiming it was a blown call. My point was in response to that- that the few disinterested people who were at the game (and who are talking about it) are also saying they thought it was a blown call.

My apologies for the sarcasm then. I have this reflex reaction that when I sees folks going over the top with comments, I immediately try to leap frog them. I think I got your comments confused with someone else in this case.

citdog
October 6th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Yes. Thanks for asking. Right now I am packing up a record amount of vintage cheese to send to you in Charleston. I know you need some to go with all of that wine.

Only vermin and woffy like cheese and wine at their tailgate. I'll settle for some Cold Smoke and Bojangles.

OL FU
October 6th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Only vermin and woffy like cheese and wine at their tailgate. I'll settle for some Cold Smoke and Bojangles.

Bull**** as long as you ain't paying for it, you are all over it.xsmiley_wix

citdog
October 6th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Bull**** as long as you ain't paying for it, you are all over it.xsmiley_wix

I'll only drink Dungeon Joe's sacramental wine when he isn't looking.

NavyDog
October 6th, 2014, 12:37 PM
My first post on AGS, and we'll start with a photo. Don't know if it has been posted on here yet but it takes the guesswork out of the final play in the Citadel vs Wofford game.

chattownmocs
October 6th, 2014, 12:39 PM
My first post on AGS, and we'll start with a photo. Don't know if it has been posted on here yet but it takes the guesswork out of the final play in the Citadel vs Wofford game.

How?

Sandlapper Spike
October 6th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Well, his entire body is almost over the goal line. The ball only has to touch the line for it to be a TD. You have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to try to explain how it wouldn't be a TD.

Also keep in mind that he still isn't down in that photo.

citdog
October 6th, 2014, 12:46 PM

That is a TOUCHDOWN. In the video the Umpire is staring right at Cadet Miller laying in the end zone with the ball and instead of throwing his arms up in the air he looks to the side judge, Chris Rape, who also hosed The Citadel on a 4th down call against Elon in 2008. He was less than 5 yards away yet defers to a guy who was 25 yards away. Something fishy with Mr. Rape. He should NEVER be an official at another game involving The Citadel Bulldogs.

OrangeJuice
October 6th, 2014, 03:29 PM
That is a TOUCHDOWN. In the video the Umpire is staring right at Cadet Miller laying in the end zone with the ball and instead of throwing his arms up in the air he looks to the side judge, Chris Rape, who also hosed The Citadel on a 4th down call against Elon in 2008. He was less than 5 yards away yet defers to a guy who was 25 yards away. Something fishy with Mr. Rape. He should NEVER be an official at another game involving The Citadel Bulldogs.

... and you said you didn't like wine.

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2014, 03:57 PM
His butt fell on the line with the ball on his left side, not touching the line, with his right side breaking the plane. The announcers may have said his knee, but it was more likely his butt, which is probably what the ref saw. Refs also don't defer for the sake of deference, it's to verify that the other official didn't have a better angle. They almost literally say to each other when stuff like that happens "I have the better angle." I don't know if the Socon, or any league has written statements as to why they call close calls the way they do, but perhaps its a good idea to gander on in the future.

NavyDog
October 6th, 2014, 04:33 PM
All I'll say is I wish we had FBS replay equipment, camera angles, review staff, etc. Good video replay on terrier vision at the 27:30 sec point....better angle and in slow motion. Don't see how as he makes contact with his left shoulder with the ball in left hand (with enough force that as he twistes he gets at least half his body in the EZ) that he is not breaking the plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ4ntqZC9AE

CID1990
October 6th, 2014, 05:30 PM
All I'll say is I wish we had FBS replay equipment, camera angles, review staff, etc. Good video replay on terrier vision at the 27:30 sec point....better angle and in slow motion. Don't see how as he makes contact with his left shoulder with the ball in left hand (with enough force that as he twistes he gets at least half his body in the EZ) that he is not breaking the plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ4ntqZC9AE

I think the immediate reaction of the Wofford players who actually tackled him pretty much says it all.

citdog
October 6th, 2014, 05:34 PM
His butt fell on the line with the ball on his left side, not touching the line, with his right side breaking the plane. The announcers may have said his knee, but it was more likely his butt, which is probably what the ref saw. Refs also don't defer for the sake of deference, it's to verify that the other official didn't have a better angle. They almost literally say to each other when stuff like that happens "I have the better angle." I don't know if the Socon, or any league has written statements as to why they call close calls the way they do, but perhaps its a good idea to gander on in the future.

See this is what bothers me. You will believe a tale about a zombie jewish carpenter but not picture or video evidence of an obvious game winning touchdown.

Sandlapper Spike
October 6th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I don't know if any of you guys are interested, but the SoCon commissioner actually responded to my game review blog post. Which is to his credit, though I'm not going to agree with him on some things.

http://thesportsarsenal.com/2014/10/06/game-review-2014-wofford/

dungeonjoe
October 6th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I'll only drink Dungeon Joe's sacramental wine when he isn't looking.
Yeah, you will say that you will cross the line to drink it, but I bet you never break the plane of the line when it comes down to it and we will endlessly argue about it.

Reign of Terrier
October 6th, 2014, 08:18 PM
That game will forever be known as the measurement or something like that

chattownmocs
October 6th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Well, his entire body is almost over the goal line. The ball only has to touch the line for it to be a TD. You have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to try to explain how it wouldn't be a TD.

Also keep in mind that he still isn't down in that photo.

Doesn't appear that way to me. I know the wofford guy in front of him is barely in the endzone. Try again.

NavyDog
October 6th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Doesn't appear that way to me. I know the wofford guy in front of him is barely in the endzone. Try again.

Ahhhh! With eyesight like that, you are uniquely qualified to be the next Director of SOCON Officials! xcoolxxcoolxxcoolx

dungeonjoe
October 8th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Didn't see this anywhere else. Sorry if it is a repeat. The man has class all the way. Interesting insight too on the play:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141007/PC20/141009533/1032/citadels-houston-socon-officials-did-best-they-could-in-wofford-loss

Millwoch
October 8th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Didn't see this anywhere else. Sorry if it is a repeat. The man has class all the way. Interesting insight too on the play:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20141007/PC20/141009533/1032/citadels-houston-socon-officials-did-best-they-could-in-wofford-loss

Houston is the right man for the job. A little coach speak for sure. But he can't let last week beat us this week. Getting back home should help. I think he has this team really playing hard for him. His speech after CSU to the team was basically "I have your back but you better make damn sure you have mine". I love that us against the world attitude and I think these kids do too. Recruiting should be interesting to watch this year as he is in every HS in SC. I think that is something the last staff lacked a little. He has better relationship with other coaches both college and HS. Even with coach ayers, as he visited Wofford last season long before taking the job. The future is bright.