PDA

View Full Version : SoCon predictions (NOV 11 2006)

catamount man
November 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Appalachian State-77
W.Carolina-0

(but remember Cat fans, Briggs said "We're making progress: smh : :rolleyes: xlolx )

Georgia Southern-14
Furman-31

Elon-27
NCA&T-3

VMI-14
Citadel-24

CHattanooga-7
Wofford-42

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

BULLDOG8180
November 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Appalachian State-77
W.Carolina-0

(but remember Cat fans, Briggs said "We're making progress: smh : :rolleyes: xlolx )

Georgia Southern-14
Furman-31

Elon-27
NCA&T-3

VMI-14
Citadel-24

CHattanooga-7
Wofford-42

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Actually, all of those look pretty good to me.:o

walliver
November 5th, 2006, 06:43 AM
I suspect most of the games will be closer than that, but I pick the same winners

ASU 42 - WCU 7 (ASU should have the waterboy playing by the third quarter so WCU scores this week.)

Furman 28 - GSU 20 (Furman should win by more, but GSU should get together whats left of their team pride for their last shot to at least partially redeem this season.)

Elon 28 - NC A&T 10

Citadel 35 - VMI 7 (Will VMI leave the Big South for the SAC-8 after this year:D )

Wofford 28 - Chat 17

catamount man
November 5th, 2006, 01:07 PM
No, but we may need to at the rate we're falling.:bang:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Mountaineer#96
November 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Wofford 27 Chatty 6 ........... Wofford is way too good up front on offense.

Upset alert!!! GSU 31 Furman 29 ......... sorry Purple People Eaters I want you in the playoffs, but I think GSU makes runs to the jugular with some wild trick plays, and pulls this one out by 2. Think Montana vs Montana State a few years ago. Sorry DD.

Elon 34 NC A&T 10 .......Elon could be pretty good next year, if this year shows anything.

Citadel 28 VMI 3 ........ the Bulldogs are on the rise and bounce back from the shelling they took last week in Boone. I love your uniforms btw on the field and off. Tell the Ranger Challenge teams better luck next year.

ASU 51 WCU 14 ......... no comment except the Jug stays in Boone, we go the playoffs, and the 'whee still wishes it had a football team. Coach Moore will pull the starters in the early 3rd.

Death Dealer
November 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM
ASU 49 WCU 0- come on, they couldn't score on Liberty! They only score
if App State let's them.:nod: Sorry WCU'ers, it's just a
fact.

GSU 20 FU 21- Georgia Southern goes for 2 to win it, but get stuffed. I
hope I don't have that flipped around.:confused:

Elon 21 NCA&T 10- I don't know....who cares.

Citadel 28 VMI 3- The Bellhops show those Keydets what real military
discipline looks like.

Wofford 35 Chatt 14- Wofford is good and they take it to the Mocs.

Mountaineer#96
November 5th, 2006, 03:23 PM
wow we had the same score on Citadel, VMI

yosefcity
November 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Appalachian State- 55
W.Carolina-3

Georgia Southern-24
Furman-28

Elon-28
NCA&T-7

VMI-7
Citadel-31

Chattanooga-21
Wofford-23

OL FU
November 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM
ASU @ WCU - - - If you would have ask me before the season started, I am not sure I would have said WCU would have won, but I would predicted a close game. ASU goes out with a blast - - -

ASU by 35

Chattanooga at Wofford - - - Wofford is looking good and Chatt is starting to look like Chattanooga again.

Wofford by 14

VMI at the Citadel - The military battle of the South is won by the deeper south. ( I know that is not the name of the rivaly)

Citadel by 17

Elon at NC A&T - I know why the MEAC is considering Savannah State as a member, it is to give NC A&T some company. What happened to this football program. Elon better not think this is a cake walk though. If Elon plays like they are capable

Elon by 24

GSU @ Furman - Who would have thought? The question is do the Eagles have the pride to make it a game? My guess is that as long as the Eagles stay in the game ( ie ASU) it may very well go down to the wire. If Furman jumps on them fast, the first half could be a run away which it will need to be because no matter what happens GSU will win the second half like every other team that has played Furman this year.

FU by 17 ( I realize this is a down year for GSU , But I am hoping it is by 37 cuz there are a few payback games that need to be cured)

BestOfBreed
November 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Citadel 35 - VMI 7 (Will VMI leave the Big South for the SAC-8 after this year:D )

Sadly for VMI, they probably wouldn't do any better in the SAC-8. Heck, Newberry could beat most of the SoCon and Big South teams this year anyway :(

OL FU
November 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Sadly for VMI, they probably wouldn't do any better in the SAC-8. Heck, Newberry could beat most of the SoCon and Big South teams this year anyway :(

don't say that in front of coastal fans:D

rokamortis
November 5th, 2006, 03:51 PM
don't say that in front of coastal fans:D

I'm having flashbacks

Death Dealer
November 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM
[U]Upset alert!!! GSU 31 Furman 29 ......... sorry Purple People Eaters I want you in the playoffs, but I think GSU makes runs to the jugular with some wild trick plays, and pulls this one out by 2. Think Montana vs Montana State a few years ago. Sorry DD.

Don't apologize....this is way within the realm of possiblity. You're just saying what I don't want to (can't say that out loud...it's bad luck) I think we will see a very similar team to what you saw in Paulson. I just hope I can come back a week from now and give you some **** for getting it wrong!xlolx :smiley_wi

Death Dealer
November 5th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Best, I am going to mail you a bar of soap...and I want you to promptly go wash your mouth out!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

walliver
November 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM

Didn't most of Newberry's players start out in the SoCon anyway?

rokamortis
November 5th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Or the ACC

Go Apps
November 5th, 2006, 06:40 PM
ASU 61 WCU 10

Furman 34 GSU 24

Wofford 35 UTC 17

Elon 41 NCAT 10

Citadel 31 VMI 10

thirdgendin
November 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM

Their QB, Josh Stepp, is Justin Stepp's twin brother. He was Bo Moore's backup in 2003 and started the ASU game that year. When Ingle Martin transferred in, he transferred out.

Mr. C
November 5th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Their QB, Josh Stepp, is Justin Stepp's twin brother. He was Bo Moore's backup in 2003 and started the ASU game that year. When Ingle Martin transferred in, he transferred out.
Josh Stepp didn't start the ASU game. He came in when Bo Moore suffered a bad ankle sprain that ruined his season. That was one of the hardest hitting college games I have ever seen. They were carting bodies off left and right in that one. Had Ingle Martin not come to Furman, Josh Stepp would have been starting and throwing passes to Justin Stepp this season.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Georgia Southern scares me, but this game is in Greenville. Paladin Stadium has rather quietly become one of the toughest places to earn a road victory in the country. The Paladins have only dropped one game there since the start of the 2004 season, and that was to eventual champ JMU in the playoffs by one.

GSU has a sterling record against Furman at Paulson, but their record in Paladin Stadium is barely over .500. Furman has to get through this game to get to the Oasis of the offweek and let some injuries heal. With a healthy football team, Furman can be one of the best squads in the country. Right now they are very banged up. If they can protect the homefield and sneak into the playoffs, they will be a very dangerous team.

That said, I don't think GSU will waltz into Greenville and keep the Paladins out of the playoffs. All they can hang their hat on is their running game and, whoops, Furman has one of the top run defenses in the country.

FUwolfpacker
November 5th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Err...actually, Furman's rush D is only #30 in the country. Not bad, but certainly not one of the best. Also, Furman has given up twice as many rushing TD's (15) compared to passing TD's (7). Pass D is only #40, but the two add up to make FU's total D #25 in the country.

GSU's rush D is #80, pass D is #55, and their total D is #65.

GSU's rush offense is #28, FU's is #32
GSU's pass offense is #52, FU's is #66
GSU's total offesne is #26, FU's is #36

The numbers don't point one way or the other really. FU's D is considerably better, and GSU's offense is slightly better. So, as usual, it will probably come down to turnovers and special teams (coach speak 101).

After one of the most worthless post ever, I'm not making a prediction (I usually don't). With all the numbers, the rivalry, and the way each team is playing...there's no reason to think the FU/GSU game will be a blowout. 3 to 7 points probably either way.

As far as the other SoCon games go...

ASU, Elon, Citadel, and Wofford should win.

KiddBrewer
November 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Furman 24
Georgia Southern 17

Elon 28
A&T 7

Citadel 27
VMI 10

Chatt 21
Wofford 24

Appalachian 3
Western 6
(April Fools!!!!!!!!)

KiddBrewer
November 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM
oh my bad, its november

Appalachian 59
Western 3

thirdgendin
November 6th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Josh Stepp didn't start the ASU game. He came in when Bo Moore suffered a bad ankle sprain that ruined his season. That was one of the hardest hitting college games I have ever seen. They were carting bodies off left and right in that one. Had Ingle Martin not come to Furman, Josh Stepp would have been starting and throwing passes to Justin Stepp this season.

You're right. It was the ASU game where Moore was hurt, and Stepp started the Citadel game the next week, a 10-9 Furman loss due to a bad PAT snap.

straightshooter
November 6th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't worry about GSU beating FU. With all the changes in Statesboro, FU will be just the next game on the schedule. None of the coaches know anything about the GSU-FU rivalry, and many of the major players (QB,RB, WR, CB, DL) have never played in a GSU-FU game. Furman's players will want this game much more than many of the GSU players, so I see FU winning handily.

What you will see in Greenville on Saturday will not be GSU football.

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't worry about GSU beating FU. With all the changes in Statesboro, FU will be just the next game on the schedule. None of the coaches know anything about the GSU-FU rivalry, and many of the major players (QB,RB, WR, CB, DL) have never played in a GSU-FU game. Furman's players will want this game much more than many of the GSU players, so I see FU winning handily.

What you will see in Greenville on Saturday will not be GSU football.

ASU was either the first or second best team that GSU played this year and the players seem to respond to that rivalry. :nod:

I do believe playing at Paladin instead of Paulson will help. On the other hand if the players are hearing boo-birds at Paulson then maybe playing away will help:eyebrow:

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 08:39 AM
And PS,

in case anybody is interested in why I picked a large margin of victory.
Simple, how often do I get the chance to predict that against Georgia Southern. It may not happen, but I am not passing up the opportunity:D

Black and Gold Express
November 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM
ASU - 37
WCU - 10

I do feel bad that injuries have destroyed Western. No team deserves that much bad luck. I mean c'mon, they have to live in Cullowhee for 9 months a year, that's bad enough! :thumbsup:

GSU - 24
Furman- 21

I've flip-flopped on this game enough to make John Kerry proud. All I know is what I saw in GSU against ASU was a team that could beat anyone if they played their best. I expect that same kind of effort against the Paladins, and unlike Furman who has something bigger to play for, this game is GSU's season at this point. Both teams want this game badly, but only one team needs this game badly, and I'm not convinced Furman can close the door with their backs to the wall if GSU brings it's A game. Prove me wrong Paladins, and you'll get into the playoffs.

Elon - 35
NCA&T - 3

I know one thing about NCAT, they sucked badly against B-CC. Elon gets a nice win here as they continue showing well for themselves this year.

VMI - 12
Citadel - 42

Citadel keeps the SoCon banner waving in this one.

Chattanooga - 20
Wofford - 35

I have nothing more to add to this one. Sorry. :o

Millwoch
November 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I actually heard a rumor they want back in the socon...money must not be as good in the big south.

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I actually heard a rumor they want back in the socon...money must not be as good in the big south.

We discussed that a few times. I believe the discussion ended when someone posted an article quoting the VMI athletic director saying, they were not interested.

In other words who knows:smiley_wi

straightshooter
November 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Different deal against App and GSU. It was homecoming in Statesboro. Big crowd and the team had been getting a bit better each week. Since that game, things have gone down hill. I'm afraid that many GSU players simply want to get this season over.

gophoenix
November 6th, 2006, 09:15 PM
A&T is struggling, and this is the last game of the series that we've played since turning D-I. A&T dropped us for "lack of fan support" and is moving to play Charleston Southern as a replacement. No diss on the Bucs, but I can't imagine they'll bring more than the 2500 we brought to Greensboro for games.

And if we can't score more than 28 against A&T, then we have some real problems. A&T has made some very bad teams look good this year. For instance, a 40 point setback to WSSU who lost to Coästäl by nearly 40.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 6th, 2006, 09:48 PM
oh my bad, its november

Appalachian 59
Western 3
59-3 win.....explain that score to a UMASS fan......Running up the score???

Heaven forbid that JMU beat someone by that score.........lol

SoCon48
November 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
59-3 win.....explain that score to a UMASS fan......Running up the score???

Heaven forbid that JMU beat someone by that score.........lol

If App scores 59, much of it will come in the 2nd half with the 2nd string in.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2006, 08:43 PM
What is with all these close GSU-FU predictions? I see Furman winning this game by at least two touchdowns. I hate to sound like a pouting child, but that's the way I see it.

First of all, Furman just plain has a better team. They have had a few off weeks, but they are definitly more organized and on the ball than our team is. And like I pointed out in the other thread, Furman has all the intangibles - they have much more to lose than us, they are playing at home, and we won the last game (GSU had all those last year and pulled off the upset). If the team that took App State to overtime shows up, then we have a decent shot. I just don't know if we can muster that much intensity at this point in the season though. If the team that has played pretty much every game other than App State and Coastal shows up, we get demolished.

It's interesting that it's mainly App. State people that seem to think we will win. They didn't get to see the real 2006 version of GSU. I think you guys will and I'll be interested in hearing what you guys think of our new offense and coaching staff.

Anyways, I think I'll take ASU over WCU by 31, Wofford over Chatty by about 10, Citadel by 21, and Elon by 17.

Millwoch
November 9th, 2006, 07:54 AM
That said, I don't think GSU will waltz into Greenville and keep the Paladins out of the playoffs. All they can hang their hat on is their running game and, whoops, Furman has one of the top run defenses in the country.

This is not your father's GSU team...They will throw more than run...Their receivers are fast. I did not think the qb was very accurate when they played in Charleston, which led to a Bulldog victory. But they only ran 2-3 option plays the entire game. I know FU will run more than GSU. But hell, look what Wofford did to them. If Furman controls the clock and scores TD in the red zone, they win the game.

SirApp
November 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Woffies over UTC.... 27-14
Furman over GaSo.... 21-17
Citadel over VMI.... 38-17
Elon over NC A&T.... 42-10

Apps wrap it up

boonegoon
November 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM
ASU over Western by a lot, but they allow more scores than they should.

Ga. Southern over Furman by 3.

Citadel in a rout.

Wofford by 13.

Elon by 11.

The Cats
November 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM
ASU over Western by a lot, but they allow more scores than they should.

Ga. Southern over Furman by 3.

Citadel in a rout.

Wofford by 13.

Elon by 11.

Glad to see someone claimed that name, boonegoon