PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 5

superman7515
September 27th, 2014, 10:06 PM
A complete 180 from last week, where we had seven losses in the top 25 a week ago, only one loss in the Top 30 today, with quite a few teams taking a break. I should qualify that by saying Eastern Washington is still playing as I type this, so it could increase, but even so it would be a big change considering there were 17 losses in the Top 40 last week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdGJjVFp5dnQwU1FKUlQ2Tl9nay1JY kE&usp=sharing

One thing I need some clarification on; last week Cal Poly's win over Portland State showed up initially as a conference win on ESPN. Now they show Cal Poly as 0-1 in the conference and the Portland State game as a non-conference matchup. I believe the latter is correct, that it was a non-conference matchup, but just want to confirm that with the class.

If you see any errors, please send me a note so I can get that fixed ASAP, and as always thank you for making "How They Fared" the number 1 tool on AGS for filling out your brackets each week. Looking forward to some good conversation before filling out my ballot, so what do you think about the results this week?

BlueHenSinfonian
September 27th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Interesting week. All of the top 25 who played won (with the exception of Liberty) but there were a lot of Byes. The top end of the ORV section also sports some nice wins. Yale also had a huge win over FBS Army even though they haven't received consideration thus far.

Normally there's a tendency to not penalize a team for a bye, but it may be inevitable this week.

Chuck South had a nice quality win vs FBS-ascendant Charlotte. They may be the real deal this year.

superman7515
September 27th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Interesting week. All of the top 25 who played won (with the exception of Liberty)...

And Liberty was the only Top 25 playing another Top 25, so even though they lost, it was the only game where a Top 25 team was guaranteed a loss. For all intents and purposes, a good showing for the Top 25 teams on AGS.

Catbooster
September 27th, 2014, 11:10 PM
The Cal Poly / PSU game last week was non-conference. I just double checked on the conference site.

BattinRam
September 27th, 2014, 11:36 PM
William & Mary and Bethune Cookman should be penalized for their close victories.
B-Cookman now has 2 results against teams that were much closer than what they should have been.
A Top 25 FCS school should be able to beat Grambling St. by more than 13 points and should also beat a Florida Tech team by more than 1.
Massey for example had B-Cookman winning that game going in by 20.

smilo
September 27th, 2014, 11:51 PM
100% on moving Bethune-Cookman down. I also had SC St ranked. 17-10 was not good. They ought to be moved out too. Not a good week for the MEAC. Those two and A&T will have to fight for that autobid. William & Mary had somewhat impressive offensive stats by their standards, so I really don't know how it was that close. Their defense got that unlucky 1 play TD against them, so that hurts, but no excuses. Montana State and EWU's performances left some to be desired. If I move them down it won't be more than a spot or two due to a previous overranking though.

Coastal and JSU took awhile to close out their games, but they should be perfectly fine with those end results.

At least Princeton rebounded. Yea, it's Davidson, but that was impressive enough to go back to top 10. (I kid, I kid)

Big_Fan
September 28th, 2014, 12:08 AM
100% on moving Bethune-Cookman down. I also had SC St ranked. 17-10 was not good. They ought to be moved out too. Not a good week for the MEAC. Those two and A&T will have to fight for that autobid. William & Mary had somewhat impressive offensive stats by their standards, so I really don't know how it was that close. Their defense got that unlucky 1 play TD against them, so that hurts, but no excuses. Montana State and EWU's performances left some to be desired. If I move them down it won't be more than a spot or two due to a previous overranking though.

Coastal and JSU took awhile to close out their games, but they should be perfectly fine with those end results.

At least Princeton rebounded. Yea, it's Davidson, but that was impressive enough to go back to top 10. (I kid, I kid)

I guess it all depends on how you define "awhile to close out."

All of Murrays points came in the first half. Midway through the 3rd quarter, JSU was up 45-28. Murray had 8 yards of total offense in the 3rd quarter. They did catch JSU off guard in the first half... not enough time spent preparing for double reverse halfback passes. Once the JSU defense made adjustments to shut down their passing attack, the game was over.

We aren't ready for our rematch with EW, but we are improving. Our young secondary is growing up, and our offense could have hung 70 on Murray had we not slowed it down in the second half.

BattinRam
September 28th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Agree on Montana St as well. Needed a 20 point victory for par, only won by 11.

BattinRam
September 28th, 2014, 12:20 AM

All of Murrays points came in the first half. Midway through the 3rd quarter, JSU was up 45-28. Murray had 8 yards of total offense in the 3rd quarter. They did catch JSU off guard in the first half... not enough time spent preparing for double reverse halfback passes. Once the JSU defense made adjustments to shut down their passing attack, the game was over.

We aren't ready for our rematch with EW, but we are improving. Our young secondary is growing up, and our offense could have hung 70 on Murray had we not slowed it down in the second half.
He did say you should be OK with your end results and you are. Your final score met and exceeded expectations.

jmrepak
September 28th, 2014, 12:31 AM

I agree and our win was good enough to at least keep us where we are at a minimum. The refs made two terrible calls in the first half that were clearly wrong and cost us a minimum of 10 points. One of those was a complete pass in the end zone that the ref called incomplete and it wasn't which ended the drive with a missed 45 yard FG. Both feet were inbounds when he got control and he never lost the ball after going out of the end zone. The next was a fumble that was caused by the ground when the player hit so he should have been down but they ruled a thrnover anyway. That was at the 10 or 15 yard line so it was well within FG range. Another impressive stat is that Coastal's defense has held the last 3 opponents to a field goal a piece while playing backups significantly in the second half with the exception of tonight in which the backups did not hit the field until late in the 4th.

overall a good week for the top 25 except it won't make for much excitement around the polls on Monday. Everyone should basically stay where they are except Liberty who should drop to the 25-30 range with a loss to a ranked team.

chattanoogamocs
September 28th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Chuck South had a nice quality win vs FBS-ascendant Charlotte. They may be the real deal this year.

Just like last year, I am not sure if CSU is really that good...wins over Point, Newberry and Campbell mean almost nothing (just about any scholarship team could beat them). They beat the Citadel 20-18 and now Charlotte.

...and I am pretty sure beating Charlotte in OT is not a "quality" win. Charlotte has wins over Campbell, Johnson C Smith, and NC Central (and a loss to 1-3 Elon). Their young program is now 8-8 (with most of the wins coming over non-scholarship or non-DI programs)...that doesn't exactly scream quality in my mind. In my mind, in their 2nd year, they're more Georgia State than ODU.

Not trying to start an argument, just one man's opinion. :)

Red & Black
September 28th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Montana State and EWU's performances left some to be desired. If I move them down it won't be more than a spot or two due to a previous overranking though.

Not sure how winning by 23 points while holding your opponent to 260 yards of offense leaves something to be desired. If we had left starters in and ran up the score more, would that have been more desirable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Fan
September 28th, 2014, 01:37 AM
He did say you should be OK with your end results and you are. Your final score met and exceeded expectations.

Yeah. I don't think we will drop, but the game was only competitive for the first half.

That said, we dropped 3 spots in some polls after losing to Michigan State. Sure, other than our DL we didn't have a very good showing against the Spartans, but they are the defending Rose Bowl champs, and odds-on favorite to win the B1G. With all the new starters we had in the secondary, we are lucky it wasn't worse...even so, it is a bit unusual for a top 10 FCS team to drop at all - much less 3 spots, because of a loss to a top 10 FBS team... it isn't like it was a MAC or Sunbelt team that beat us.

We are probably about where we should be ranked right now. I would have us around 2 spots higher (ahead of Montana and McNeese), but that isn't a massive discrepancy.

WestCoastAggie
September 28th, 2014, 05:18 AM
No one better give a vote to Furman this week.

A&T called off the dogs with Cohen sitting out this week and Quick sitting the second half (Hip Pointer) yet still winning on the road by 16. It's looking as if A&T suddenly jumped all teams in the MEAC, including Bethune.

Before Quick left the game, he was 14 for 23, 200 yards and Two TD's total (1 passing and 1 receiving) which were all in the 1st Half. We were up 28 - 13 on the road before he left the game. The backup RB Cartwright had over 130 yards rushing and a TD on over 20 attempts. Quick's True Freshman backup Hassan Klugh drove the team down the field in under 2 minutes and lead a scoring drive in the 3rd quarter and did not turn the ball over.

The Aggies also lost their place kicker to injury but the backup kicker nailed a clutch 42 yarder to clinch the game 38 - 22. If we didn't let off the gas, we drop almost 50 on Howard.

Murray State scared Jacksonville State just for a Half. No need to penalize Jax State at all after holding us to 8 yards in the third Qtr.

Just throwing this out there but the loser between Alcorn State and Alabama State should be in playoff At-Large discussions with the MEAC, SoCon and Big South appearing to just have an AutoBid this year. Both teams should begin to flirt with the polls

penguinpower
September 28th, 2014, 06:09 AM
And Liberty was the only Top 25 playing another Top 25, so even though they lost, it was the only game where a Top 25 team was guaranteed a loss. For all intents and purposes, a good showing for the Top 25 teams on AGS.

More proof that the AGS poll is far superior to any other FCS poll.

rokamortis
September 28th, 2014, 06:09 AM
I know Bethune-Cookman gets the benefit of the doubt but I don't even have them ranked. I've got the Aggies as the MEAC rep - I think they are the class of the MEAC, until proven otherwise.

MSUBobcat
September 28th, 2014, 08:35 AM

If you had watched the game and saw that 7 pts for UND came off a blown fumble call that was returned for a TD, which would have increased the margin to 18, would that be close enough to 20 to satisfy you?

Red & Black
September 28th, 2014, 09:04 AM
If you had watched the game and saw that 7 pts for UND came off a blown fumble call that was returned for a TD, which would have increased the margin to 18, would that be close enough to 20 to satisfy you?

Or that we had 2 TD's called back on penalties, or that we had 2 and 3's in at the end of the 3rd, etc. People just look at scores and think that's all there is to it.

robsnotes4u
September 28th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Not sure how winning by 23 points while holding your opponent to 260 yards of offense leaves something to be desired. If we had left starters in and ran up the score more, would that have been more desirable?

UND may have the best defense in BSC, and MSU had a lot of starters out for this game. Look what they have done so far, beat a Stony Brook team who took rated W & M Tribe to overtime. If you look at how many points or how a team wins by. Montana has only scored 3 points in the second half the last two weeks., not playing their scrubs either. Gave up a lot of yards to probably the worst team in the BSC with a third string QB in UNC.

Best team in BSC, EWU. The rest we don't know yet, probably nobody else in the top 10. BSC is not very good as a whole.

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 09:31 AM
UND may have the best defense in BSC.

If that's the case, Big Sky defense is even worse than i thought.

Missouri State isn't a top half mvfc offense and they rolled over und line they didn't exist

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thundar
September 28th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Missouri State isn't a top half mvfc offense and they rolled over und line they didn't exist

Well the MVFC is 7-1 against the BSC this year also and the only loss was close by SD to Montana

kalm
September 28th, 2014, 09:51 AM
UND may have the best defense in BSC, and MSU had a lot of starters out for this game. Look what they have done so far, beat a Stony Brook team who took rated W & M Tribe to overtime. If you look at how many points or how a team wins by. Montana has only scored 3 points in the second half the last two weeks., not playing their scrubs either. Gave up a lot of yards to probably the worst team in the BSC with a third string QB in UNC.

Best team in BSC, EWU. The rest we don't know yet, probably nobody else in the top 10. BSC is not very good as a whole.

Record wise yes. But look at the schedules of Weber, ISU, SUU, Davis, and even UNC. They've either played 2 FBS or a top 10 MVFC team.

tribefan40
September 28th, 2014, 09:55 AM
William & Mary and Bethune Cookman should be penalized for their close victories.

Meh. A win is a win. SBU homecoming with largest crowd in school history. We'll know who W&M is in 3 weeks.

Red & Black
September 28th, 2014, 10:16 AM

We get it, MVFC is great. BSC plays no defense...same crap every year.

robsnotes4u
September 28th, 2014, 10:28 AM

Doesn't help when Missouri State recovered a fumble for a TD, and ran an interception down to the 5, plus another turnover. They did give up a bunch of yards though. I look forward to watching UND and the Griz this weekend in Grand Forks, might need to drink a lot to get through it. As a BSC fan not real happy with what I am seeing.

robsnotes4u
September 28th, 2014, 10:30 AM

Should have been 3 other pick 6s also. A lot of Freshman in the line up stepping up. The wind looked bruttle. Couldn't believe some of the FGs were made

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 10:42 AM
We get it, MVFC is great. BSC plays no defense...same crap every year.

Why are ewu fans so insecure and bitchy any everything?

I'm serious, if a team giving up 26 ppg, 340 ypg, and does on 81 percent of red zone trips is the best defense in the Big Sky then the issues are very real, not just message board banter to piss bsc fans off

kalm
September 28th, 2014, 10:57 AM

I'm serious, if a team giving up 26 ppg, 340 ypg, and does on 81 percent of red zone trips is the best defense in the Big Sky then the issues are very real, not just message board banter to piss bsc fans off

Relax.

The MVFC is clearly the best conference at this point. And one person made the comment about UND.

JMUNJ08
September 28th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Where is the copy/ paste function for this weeks poll? Besides a little bump to ISUb and a drop of Bethune, it was a pretty blah week for voting...

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Relax.

The MVFC is clearly the best conference at this point. And one person made the comment about UND.

kalm, you know it's true about your ewu brethren.

The complex that they have anytime EWU, or lack of defense (even if it's about someone else completely) is just terrible.

kalm
September 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM

The complex that they have anytime EWU, or lack of defense (even if it's about someone else completely) is just terrible.

No worse than any fanbase regarding their team or conference's weakness. Especially when said weakness gets overblown.

Speaking if which, when is the MVFC going to figure out how to play offense?

Hehe!

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 11:39 AM
No worse than any fanbase regarding their team or conference's weakness. Especially when said weakness gets overblown.

Speaking if which, when is the MVFC going to figure out how to play offense?

Hehe!
If by that you mean 8 of our 10 teams in the top 32 in the FCS is pass effentincy:
1. Illinois State
3. YSU
4 Missouri State
15 NDSU
18 ISUb
19 SIU
23 SDSU
32 UNI

7 in the top 34 for total offense
ISUr
YSU
NDSU
MSU
SDSU
UNI
SIU

8 top 50 rush offenses
NDSU
ISUr
USD
SDSU
YSU
MSU
SIU
UNI

8 of the top 40 scoring teams (all over 31ppg)
ISUr
YSU
SIU
UNI
NDSU
SDSU
MSU
ISUb

I'd say we do okay on offense...maybe I don't know what offense is though

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 11:47 AM
When it comes to top total defenses the MVFC has 7 of the top 43
NDSU
ISUr
UNI
SDSU
SIU
WIU
ISUb

Run defense? 9 of the 10 teams in the top 55
NDSU
UNI
SIU
ISUR
WIU
YSU
MSU
ISUB
SDSU

Pass defense - 4 in the top 20 and 6 out of the top 50
ISUr
UNI
SDSU
NDSU
USD
ISUb

Scoring defense - 9 of the top 51 (all under 25 PPG, top 4 under 20, top 5 under 21, top 6 under 22)
ISUr
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
SIU
ISUB
YSU
WIU
MSU

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out there's no need to score 45 points per game unless you can't keep the other team from scoring 44 points per game

*Yes, I know that exaggerated, but the point is the same.

Red & Black
September 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM

Why is it terrible? You are just looking at stats and drawing conclusions without any real analysis. Anyone can do that...I.E. my smartass remark. A little perspective and context is needed.

The Big Sky is very down this year, so enjoy it. The Valley also appears to be far and away the best conference in the FCS this year. That said, until someone other than NDSU does something, anything, in the playoffs...the MVFC is still a one-trick pony IMO.

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Why is it terrible? You are just looking at stats and drawing conclusions without any real analysis. Anyone can do that...I.E. my smartass remark. A little perspective and context is needed.

The Big Sky is very down this year, so enjoy it. The Valley also appears to be far and away the best conference in the FCS this year. That said, until someone other than NDSU does something, anything, in the playoffs...the MVFC is still a one-trick pony IMO.
And the Big Sky isn't the last half decade?

Montana got curb stomped in 09's title game (where the MVFC had a non-NDSU semi finalist).

One trick pony all you want, but it looks funny coming from a one trick pony conference.

kalm
September 28th, 2014, 11:51 AM
If by that you mean 8 of our 10 teams in the top 32 in the FCS is pass effentincy:
1. Illinois State
3. YSU
4 Missouri State
15 NDSU
18 ISUb
19 SIU
23 SDSU
32 UNI

7 in the top 34 for total offense
ISUr
YSU
NDSU
MSU
SDSU
UNI
SIU

8 top 50 rush offenses
NDSU
ISUr
USD
SDSU
YSU
MSU
SIU
UNI

8 of the top 40 scoring teams (all over 31ppg)
ISUr
YSU
SIU
UNI
NDSU
SDSU
MSU
ISUb

Why are so defensive? Hehe...

Red & Black
September 28th, 2014, 11:55 AM

You don't. :D

In all seriousness, UNI seems to be firing on all cylinders right now. I would say playing the worst team in the BSC and then Tenn Tech probably has a little to do with those stat lines.

Red & Black
September 28th, 2014, 11:57 AM

Montana got curb stomped in 09's title game (where the MVFC had a non-NDSU semi finalist).

One trick pony all you want, but it looks funny coming from a one trick pony conference.

Oh, no...the BSC totally is and has been for some time, with a few exceptions in a few different years. I'm not arguing that fact at all.

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2014, 12:08 PM

You're hilarious. Really, you are.

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2014, 12:17 PM

We lost by two points to Nova. Go watch UNI's last playoff game if you need help with the definition of "curb stop".

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2014, 12:24 PM

One thing that he does say right is that UND's defense is pretty decent. A lot better than EWU's when both have played Montana State. UND's defense will give the Griz trouble this weekend but the UND offense is not very good. Montana's defense shouldn't have to much trouble with UND's offense.

kalm
September 28th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Oh, no...the BSC totally is and has been for some time, with a few exceptions in a few different years. I'm not arguing that fact at all.

Most conferences are except for the CAA.

kalm
September 28th, 2014, 12:27 PM
UND's D is good against Robert Morris and Stony Brook.

JMUNJ08
September 28th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Most conferences are except for the CAA.

Nova, JMU, Delaware, Towson (yes, TOWSON), UMass (former), W&M, New Hampshire, Richmond

In just the past 15 years, all the above teams have made it at least to the semi-finals in the playoffs. Notice this list does not even include last year's conference champion in Maine.

Its great having all the competition and knowing that this year could be the year for your program as there are relatively few/ no doormats each year (*cough URI, *cough *cough). We may not be as strong top to bottom as the MVFC this year but no one should be overlooking our top 4/5 teams when they make the dance...

Catbooster
September 28th, 2014, 01:52 PM
One thing that he does say right is that UND's defense is pretty decent. A lot better than EWU's when both have played Montana State. UND's defense will give the Griz trouble this weekend but the UND offense is not very good. Montana's defense shouldn't have to much trouble with UND's offense.

I do think UND has a decent defense (better than EWU's at this point IMO), but I wouldn't use the stats from their games against MSU as the basis of any conclusions. We had 3 receivers out with 2 freshmen and a red-shirt freshman playing in their place, made a number of mistakes and, as usual the big sky refs made a lot of mistakes. We didn't execute well yesterday, while in the EWU game I thought our team played very well.

None of that is meant to imply UND didn't play well against us or that our poor execution isn't due to their defensive play (but to what degree?). Just to point out that as we all know, the transitive property doesn't work in football and one game isn't enough to make strong conclusions.

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2014, 03:29 PM

UM is 16th in the country in scoring defense, UND hasn't even cracked the top 50. Pesky facts!

robsnotes4u
September 28th, 2014, 03:38 PM

What is so hilarious about that. Let's here your synopsis

smallcollegefbfan
September 28th, 2014, 04:00 PM

I moved both down for sure. One thing too many voters get trapped in is just slotting teams up or not dropping them with a win. I would move a team up for losing by just 5 points to a top 15 FBS team while I would drop them for only beating an unranked D2 team by say 7 points. Not all wins and losses are equal. Have to evaluate the teams individually and ignore records. If a FCS team in an auto bid league has 3 losses but 2 of them are to good FBS teams and the other one is to a top 5 FCS team, I'm going to have that team much higher than your normal 3 loss team.

- - - Updated - - -

I am thinking you meant to say "hear". lol

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2014, 04:08 PM
It clearly doesn't matter what the Griz do, you'll find a way to **** on them. This game was over after about ten minutes. You don't need to score a bunch of points in the second half when you score 35 in the first and only allow 7.

robsnotes4u
September 28th, 2014, 04:31 PM
It clearly doesn't matter what the Griz do, you'll find a way to **** on them. This game was over after about ten minutes. You don't need to score a bunch of points in the second half when you score 35 in the first and only allow 7.

I didn't realize the 2nd team and 3rd team were in the game so early, at what point did they come in? I was only able to watch the gamecast as it wasn't on tv or streamed, so I wasn't paying attention to who participated. Had that on my phone while I was watching the MSU UND game.

Do you think the subs will be in as early against UND?

darell1976
September 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM
I never thought I would hear a lot of positive comments about UND's D. Bubba has that part straightened out, now to get that offense going will take more work, but its a work in progress. I think better times for UND football is on the horizon.

robsnotes4u
September 28th, 2014, 04:57 PM
I never thought I would hear a lot of positive comments about UND's D. Bubba has that part straightened out, now to get that offense going will take more work, but its a work in progress. I think better times for UND football is on the horizon.

What is your prediction for the game this weekend

MTfan4life
September 28th, 2014, 05:16 PM

They dominated them, yes. But they didn't annihilate them offensively. Pretty much only 24 points on their actual defense. One td was defensive and the other was when they got the ball at the 5. Yards wise, they gained about 60 yards more than the Cats against UND. It's not like they took down their defense like UNI did to Tennessee Tech and Northern Colorado.

While I say that, I'm not saying they have the best defense in the league. However, that score was much more a result of their lack of offensive production and inability to have any semblance of field position. MSU had some good long drives, but it wasn't overwhelming.

MTfan4life
September 28th, 2014, 05:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

robsnotes4u
September 28th, 2014, 05:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E

Lol. I hope he survives also.

Cocky
September 28th, 2014, 05:24 PM

Same reason MVC fans are insecure about their strength of OOC schedule.

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 05:38 PM
It's not our fault that the rest of the fcs is so bad there is a legit case for 8 or 9 of our teams to be ranked. 5 of UNI's next 7 are against teams that were ranked last week and the other 2 were in the orv.

It's possible that 6 of uni next 7 will be ranked this week

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Mvfc teams will face at least 4, if not 5 or 6, ranked teams in conference play. On top of that they should play 2 or 3 more ooc?

Really?

darell1976
September 28th, 2014, 06:07 PM

Even though it's at home I still think UND's offense isn't going to be enough to beat the Griz. I think 21-7.

penguinpower
September 28th, 2014, 06:09 PM

I don't think it is insecurity about strength of schedule but rather the strength of schedule has not translated into playoff selections. Schools like UNI, Youngstown, NDSU etc invest a lot of money into their football programs and teams like Butler and Duquesne that invest much less and play a much easier schedule get teams into the playoffs. This applies to all of the weaker conferences some of which get multiple bids. That is total bull****

The CAA will continue to get 3-4 teams in regardless if they are as strong this year or not. However the MEAC and Big South have gotten an unfair benefit of placing teams over more deserving teams IMOP. In addition last year's selection was a complete joke.

Finally the MVFC teams will beat the hell out of each other and won't have as much depth by the time the playoffs come around. The deepest teams have the best chance along with a little luck that injuries don't decimate your team. The proof is the OOC record. The bantering is caused by the travesty that took place by the playoff committee and the SRS.

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Even though it's at home I still think UND's offense isn't going to be enough to beat the Griz. I think 21-7.
Well, you've got the 7 part right, at least. ;)

underdawg
September 28th, 2014, 06:35 PM
When does the AGS poll come out?

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Tomorrow about 1130 central winning time

darell1976
September 28th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Well, you've got the 7 part right, at least. ;)

No repeat of the 600 yard thrashing by Braden Hanson in 2012. If only we had that offense with the defense of today.

GoAgs72
September 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I went to the EWU/UC Davis game and EWU struggled in the first half and won easily in the second half but they did not look as dominating as I expected for a #2 team against an average UC Davis team. I guess I will have a better feel for this game after the Aggies play Montana and Montana State.

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Yale should be in the Top 25 this week.

skinny_uncle
September 28th, 2014, 08:44 PM

After beating two teams with a combined record of 1-7?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2014, 08:45 PM

They should! BUT won't be since some refuse to vote for Ivy League teams.....xrolleyesx

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2014, 08:47 PM

Fair point. But Army is FBS and beat Buffalo and played Wake Forest even on the road, plus held Stanford to 14 points in one half before the doors were blown off in the fourth quarter.

Lehigh had two very tough games to start the year.

Plus, Yale won at Cal Poly last year pretty handily... I know it's last year, but the Army win is not exactly an 'outlier' so to speak.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 28th, 2014, 08:48 PM
They should! BUT won't be since some refuse to vote for Ivy League teams.....xrolleyesx

This was a tough week, there are a number of teams clamoring to get in at the bottom, but the ones at the top by and large didn't do anything to warrant eliminating them from the poll. I did sneak Yale in at end, with an FBS win I figure they deserve some recognition before someone else bumps them off.

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2014, 08:49 PM
This was a tough week, there are a number of teams clamoring to get in at the bottom, but the ones at the top by and large didn't do anything to warrant eliminating them from the poll. I did sneak Yale in at end, with an FBS win I figure they deserve some recognition before someone else bumps them off.

Yeah, that and looking at the teams in the bottom of my poll, I thought that Yale at least deserved a spot.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 28th, 2014, 08:50 PM

The Eli have a very potent offense with a healthy Varga. Their defense is obviously a concern but there's no doubt they can score. In the last two years the Eli have gone to Cali and beaten a solid BSC team in Cal Poly and a FBS team. People on here bitch the IL teams don't play anyone outside of the box. The Eli have...take notice....

I find it interesting how few people outside of the IL/PL chimed in on the Yale-Army thread. The amount of people who are absolutely clueless/ignorant towards IL football on here is surprising.

GoAgs72
September 28th, 2014, 08:56 PM
The 20 to 25 spots are in a lot of flux. I dropped several down that I had in the 20 to 25 spots even if they won or had a bye. I did move Northern Arizona up to #25 based upon the Cal Poly win. By next week I hope to have all top 25 with winning records if UNI will cooperate (but against Indiana State?).

dudeitsaid
September 28th, 2014, 08:59 PM
When it comes to top total defenses the MVFC has 7 of the top 43
NDSU
ISUr
UNI
SDSU
SIU
WIU
ISUb

Run defense? 9 of the 10 teams in the top 55
NDSU
UNI
SIU
ISUR
WIU
YSU
MSU
ISUB
SDSU

Pass defense - 4 in the top 20 and 6 out of the top 50
ISUr
UNI
SDSU
NDSU
USD
ISUb

Scoring defense - 9 of the top 51 (all under 25 PPG, top 4 under 20, top 5 under 21, top 6 under 22)
ISUr
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
SIU
ISUB
YSU
WIU
MSU

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out there's no need to score 45 points per game unless you can't keep the other team from scoring 44 points per game

*Yes, I know that exaggerated, but the point is the same.
Good point. EWU usually wins that way regularly. Yet our performance is constantly qualified by the fact our defense isn't in the top of the FCS. All that matters in the end is if we score more points than the other guy, which we usually do. How many they score against us is not that relevant if we win.

People say we can't possibly compete if our D doesn't improve, yet we have had many games over the last few years, including this one, where we have started out down in a big hole at the beginning to the game, yet somehow have managed to come back and take the lead. Look at UW and Towson. In both games, we had the ability to win the game, but is was an offensive error that cost us the game. Our D got us back into each of them. And against Towson, we were an inch from a reception and making it to the NC. We probably would have lost. But our style has produced a level of consistent success most teams in the FCS can only dream of.

Rip on our D all you want. They are doing what they need to win games. If they continue to do that, they can be the worst statistical D in the FCS. A couple of stops is usually all we need in a game.

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Good point. EWU usually wins that way regularly. Yet our performance is constantly qualified by the fact our defense isn't in the top of the FCS. All that matters in the end is if we score more points than the other guy, which we usually do. How many they score against us is not that relevant if we win.

People say we can't possibly compete if our D doesn't improve, yet we have had many games over the last few years, including this one, where we have started out down in a big hole at the beginning to the game, yet somehow have managed to come back and take the lead. Look at UW and Towson. In both games, we had the ability to win the game, but is was an offensive error that cost us the game. Our D got us back into each of them. And against Towson, we were an inch from a reception and making it to the NC. We probably would have lost. But our style has produced a level of consistent success most teams in the FCS can only dream of.

Rip on our D all you want. They are doing what they need to win games. If they continue to do that, they can be the worst statistical D in the FCS. A couple of stops is usually all we need in a game.The issue, with that theory is, what happens when all of a sudden you face a team with a good/decent defense that you can't just run and up down the field on?

You play a team that is good enough to control the ball and keep it out of EWU's hands.

EWU reminds me a lot of Oregon. A **** ton of offensive flash that just outscores people....except when they face power style teams that aren't impressed with flashy speed/numbers

dudeitsaid
September 28th, 2014, 09:09 PM
The issue, with that theory is, what happens when all of a sudden you face a team with a good/decent defense that you can't just run and up down the field on?

You play a team that is good enough to control the ball and keep it out of EWU's hands.

EWU reminds me a lot of Oregon. A **** ton of offensive flash that just outscores people....except when they face power style teams that aren't impressed with flashy speed/numbers
It's worked out better than the vast majority of the teams so far. I think EWU has a legitimate chance to win every game they play. How many teams can really say that.

And who has been able to thoroughly control the ball against EWU? So far, no one. That being said, the first half of the UCD game showed that that is a solid game plan if a team can execute it well enough. That half more than anything else made me nervous about facing a team like NDSU.

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 09:12 PM
It's worked out better than the vast majority of the teams so far. I think EWU has a legitimate chance to win every game they play. How many teams can really say that.

And who has been able to thoroughly control the ball against EWU? So far, no one. That being said, the first half of the UCD game showed that that is a solid game plan if a team can execute it well enough. That half more than anything else made me nervous about facing a team like NDSU.
If UC Davis made you nervous by executing a game plan you should be nervous for a lot more teams than just NDSU.

I can name 7 or 8 pretty easily off the top of my head.

dudeitsaid
September 28th, 2014, 09:19 PM
If UC Davis made you nervous by executing a game plan you should be nervous for a lot more teams than just NDSU.

I'm sure there are.

I think if EWU can receive the KO and control the tempo from the start, that would help. We here all the time we won't be able to compete with certain teams. That has not proven to be the case in a very long time.

Red & Black
September 28th, 2014, 09:37 PM

That's legitimate. I could also say that just about any team in the FCS needs to be worried about EWU, too though.

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 09:43 PM
That's legitimate. I could also say that just about any team in the FCS needs to be worried about EWU, too though.
I would be worried about EWU's offense against UNIs defense.

Objectively speaking though, I trust a team like this UNI more than a team like EWU...or EIU last season.

The margin of error just seems to be greater for a team that can score 31+ ppg game but give up less than 20 than it does for a team that can score 40+ easier but struggle to keep other teams, with decent offenses, out of the end zone.

MSUDuo
September 28th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Well, sounds like our top 25 ranking could be short lived if people are moving teams down due to having a bye.

skinny_uncle
September 28th, 2014, 10:56 PM
The Eli have a very potent offense with a healthy Varga. Their defense is obviously a concern but there's no doubt they can score. In the last two years the Eli have gone to Cali and beaten a solid BSC team in Cal Poly and a FBS team. People on here bitch the IL teams don't play anyone outside of the box. The Eli have...take notice....

I find it interesting how few people outside of the IL/PL chimed in on the Yale-Army thread. The amount of people who are absolutely clueless/ignorant towards IL football on here is surprising.

Most schools on here are focused on trying to make the playoffs. Since the Ivies don't participate, most of us just don't care that much what they do.

clenz
September 28th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Most schools on here are focused on trying to make the playoffs. Since the Ivies don't participate, most of us just don't care that much what they do.
This is my approach to the.

I don't rank ivy it swac teams (not that there's often any worth ranking usually).

I rank playoff conferences... Maybe when the ivy decides to participate as an fcs school, rather than fcs ino, or won some games that impress me I'll consider ranking them. Until then, they don't exist to me as an fcs fan

lionsrking2
September 28th, 2014, 11:06 PM

If the Ivy League would make their programs available for the playoffs, I'm sure there would be more interest. Otherwise, very few care.

FargoBison
September 28th, 2014, 11:15 PM

Well Yale has at least given me a reason to think about it...

ursus arctos horribilis
September 29th, 2014, 01:22 AM

When you work to marginalize yourself don't be surprised when it happens I guess would be the story here.

smallcollegefbfan
September 29th, 2014, 02:04 AM

I vote Ivy League teams all the time. I have Harvard and Yale both just outside of my top 25 right now. If they make it to 4-0 or 5-0 I'll definitely have them in my top 25.

Neither has beaten anyone that good yet. I know Army is FBS but Army is very bad. Honestly, I think a top 30 FCS team SHOULD beat Army. I would rather get a Harvard or Yale degree than have to do the commitment to the Army. I'm sure most players would agree on that as well.

Houndawg
September 29th, 2014, 08:18 AM

Lack of interest. Why would anybody be interested in a league that wants a "separate but equal" situation for themselves?

Maybe the IL could have their own poll and their own Top 10? Dozens would be interested.

Cocky
September 29th, 2014, 08:25 AM
I watched some of the Yale v army game and didn't see a top 25 team. Yale would be a 5/6 team the ovc or BSC, 7/8 in MVC or CAA.

clenz
September 29th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Lack of interest. Why would anybody be interested in a league that wants a "separate but equal" situation for themselves?

Maybe the IL could have their own poll and their own Top 10? Dozens would be interested.
Much like the SWAC

- - - Updated - - -

I watched some of the Yale v army game and didn't see a top 25 team. Yale would be a 5/6 team the ovc or BSC, 7/8 in MVC or CAA.
Try 7 or 8 BSC or 9/10 MVFC.

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I vote Ivy League teams all the time. I have Harvard and Yale both just outside of my top 25 right now. If they make it to 4-0 or 5-0 I'll definitely have them in my top 25.

Neither has beaten anyone that good yet. I know Army is FBS but Army is very bad. Honestly, I think a top 30 FCS team SHOULD beat Army. I would rather get a Harvard or Yale degree than have to do the commitment to the Army. I'm sure most players would agree on that as well.

it is free(actually get paid) though

BisonBacker
September 29th, 2014, 08:51 AM

I saw that as well. I don't know if they blew their wad against EWU but the win at home against a very weak team had me thinking about their placement in the top 25. This last weeks slate of games left a lot to be desired from a ranking standpoint. Now we are getting into the meat and potato's of the conference schedules and a lot of teams have had their bye week.

clenz
September 29th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I had a very, very, tough time trying to fill 20-25.

I knew there were teams I had there/just outside that I didn't want to put there because they hadn't proven it to me yet, but there was no one else that stepped up to earn it either.

I ranked Chuck South, even though I don't think they deserve it...

CSU18
September 29th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I had a very, very, tough time trying to fill 20-25.

I ranked Chuck South, even though I don't think they deserve it...

Not arguing with you, as the schedules not that stellar. I would like to hear some opinions on Charlotte. I don't really think they're a bad team. Our Defense fell apart in the 2nd half, but Charlotte is big and physical on the O-Line. I understand that Charlotte's schedule is almost as bad as ours, but I think anytime you go on the road against a team like Charlotte it's a good win (not great, but good solid win).

BisonBacker
September 29th, 2014, 09:12 AM

I LOL'd when I read that also. I guess if you use EWU as a measuring stick for defense he might have a point xlolx

clenz
September 29th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Not arguing with you, as the schedules not that stellar. I would like to hear some opinions on Charlotte. I don't really think they're a bad team. Our Defense fell apart in the 2nd half, but Charlotte is big and physical on the O-Line. I understand that Charlotte's schedule is almost as bad as ours, but I think anytime you go on the road against a team like Charlotte it's a good win (not great, but good solid win).
Not a good win...at all.

UNC-C's wins since they started their program are

Campbell x2 (though I did have a CSU fan try to convince me Campbell is a very good win for CSU...this year...seriously...
Chowan
Presby
Gardner-Webb
Morehead State
Johnson C Smith
NC Central

Not a good win...at all....I guess maybe for a program like CSU it is.

Professor Chaos
September 29th, 2014, 09:30 AM
We'll find out whether or not CSU is for real before playoff time. Their schedule is massively back loaded with 5 road games in their last 7 including games at Vanderbilt, CCU, Liberty, and Georgia. They're going to need to win at least 2 of those (unless they pull off a miracle at Georgia) to have any shot at a playoff spot IMO.

CSU18
September 29th, 2014, 09:58 AM
We'll find out whether or not CSU is for real before playoff time. Their schedule is massively back loaded with 5 road games in their last 7 including games at Vanderbilt, CCU, Liberty, and Georgia. They're going to need to win at least 2 of those (unless they pull off a miracle at Georgia) to have any shot at a playoff spot IMO.

Again - not arguing with anything being said about CSU. You are correct about our back loaded schedule. Beating UGA would be much more than a miracle. I feel pretty good about our chances in the two conference games. CCU and Liberty are always tough for us. I just think Charlotte is better than they get credit for.

BEAR
September 29th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Well UCA did what was expected. That score should have been worse but we played the third stringers in the third quarter. Felt bad for Nicholls. Their players never quit and were able to muster a score with 4 seconds left against our backups. One mom of one of the backups in the stands was jumping up and down because her freshman son was out there. That was good to see..for her.

So UCA runs with Texas Tech, gets beat by a VERY good Montana State team, beats a tough and large UT Martin team, loses by a 53 yard field goal to Missouri State with no time remaining, and then beats easily a struggling Nicholls team.

Still not sure what to think of this team. Too many ups and downs. Close games vs. Texas Tech and Missouri State should count for something. Guess this week against SFA will help fans know a little more.

kalm
September 29th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I LOL'd when I read that also. I guess if you use EWU as a measuring stick for defense he might have a point xlolx

Listen, bitches...who do you think is leading the Big Sky in conference only total D?

Lol.

Grizalltheway
September 29th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Listen, bitches...who do you think is leading the Big Sky in conference only total D?

Lol.

After one game against offensive juggernaugt UCD?

Lol indeed.

Cocky
September 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Much like the SWAC

- - - Updated - - -

Try 7 or 8 BSC or 9/10 MVFC.

I believe Yale would be competitive with the 5/6 range of the BSC or OVC or the 7/8 range of the CAA or MVC. They could also fall to the 8/9 or 10/11 range just as easily. The offense isnt bad but defense needs some real work done. Remind me of Murray State in that regard.

I