PDA

View Full Version : Massey/College football composite Wk 4

Theee Catrabbit
September 23rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
Looks like it might be a little more palatable for everyone this week.
Really interesting; 7 MVFC sprinkled through the top 25 with the puppies peering in on the edge

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

Nova09
September 23rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
What is CSL and why does it have Nova at 29 while Fordham is 18?

As I expected, it is due to the fact that Fordham played an extra game, which should jump out to whoever runs the system that it is crap. Having played an extra game does not overcome an on field score of 50-6. Why even make a system that is more concerned with quantity of wins than quality?

UNIFanSince1983
September 23rd, 2014, 09:03 AM
Looks like it might be a little more palatable for everyone this week.
Really interesting; 7 MVFC sprinkled through the top 25 with the puppies peering in on the edge

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

Not sure I would say 7 sprinkled when there are 6 MVFC teams in the Top 10.

Nova09
September 23rd, 2014, 09:04 AM

Plus there are 8

RabidRabbit
September 23rd, 2014, 11:25 AM
MVVC with 7 of the top 11. Worst MVFC ranking is WIU at 33rd.

Theee Catrabbit
September 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
Plus there are 8

I was just trying to soften it a little......geez sometimes it's like a comic book convention on this board......

Anovafan
September 23rd, 2014, 02:17 PM
I have never clicked on the actual Massey ratings for the teams. It gives future predictions of scores and win % probability. I found that interesting at least.

Thumper 76
September 23rd, 2014, 03:36 PM
I was just trying to soften it a little......geez sometimes it's like a comic book convention on this board......

You go to comic book conventions often?

dewey
September 23rd, 2014, 04:24 PM
Why is everyone so high on Coastal Carolina. I get that they beat Bethune Cookman 48-24 and then went to Montana in the playoffs and won 42-35 before they got blasted by NDSU 48-14. They lost their stud RB and top WR(??) from last seasons team and somehow they are better?

This year so far they are.
Won at the Citadel (31-16)
Won at North Carolina A&T (31-30)
Won vs SC State (30-3)
Won at Florida A&M (48-3)

I just don't see it.

I think I have them around 10

Dewey

penguinpower
September 23rd, 2014, 04:41 PM
Why is everyone so high on Coastal Carolina. I get that they beat Bethune Cookman 48-24 and then went to Montana in the playoffs and won 42-35 before they got blasted by NDSU 48-14. They lost their stud RB and top WR(??) from last seasons team and somehow they are better?

Won vs SC State (30-3)

I just don't see it.

Dewey

They get a lot of SEC transfers.

rokamortis
September 23rd, 2014, 07:17 PM
They get a lot of SEC transfers.

News to me.

Hammersmith
September 23rd, 2014, 07:39 PM

As I expected, it is due to the fact that Fordham played an extra game, which should jump out to whoever runs the system that it is crap. Having played an extra game does not overcome an on field score of 50-6. Why even make a system that is more concerned with quantity of wins than quality?

It looks like it's some form of RPI. Here's info from their webpage:

The CSL ratings are composed of 3 factors. The first is simply a team's wins minus that team's losses.

The second is an indication of the strength of one's opponents, It is measured as follows, The sum of the wins of the teams I beat minus the sum of the losses of the teams that beat me.

The third factor is much like the second, but goes one level deeper. It is the sum of the wins of the teams beaten by the teams I beat, minus the sum of the losses of the teams that were beaten by the teams than beat me.

Classic RPI is [.25(own record) + .5(opp record) + .25(opp opp record)]

dudeitsaid
September 23rd, 2014, 07:56 PM

That's pretty extraordinary. Has there ever been a conference so dominant in the Massey Rankings? Hard to imagine.

That being said, it will be interesting to see how these rankings are effected by the wins and losses that will take place to one another. If SDSU loses to NDSU by one point, do they slide because they have a loss, or do they stay in place or move up since they perform as expected? I wonder how close this will mirror the SRS rankings that the FCS uses to determine at large playoff spots. If so, and the MVFC continues to rank strongly, maybe they will finally get four teams into the playoffs this year, or at least three.

birdsflyhigh
September 24th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Last weekend for non-con foes for MVFC teams. The Massey ratings (average of 30 different ratings) show a serious gap in between the Valley and the whole rest of FCS.

1. MVFC 18.25

then it's a 27.03 drop down to the second rated conference...

2. CAA 45.28
3. Big South 47.09

then a big drop off of over 7 down to the 4th and 5th rated conferences (which are pretty darn close)...

4. BSC 54.25
5. OVC 55.01

Right now the MVFC has pretty much blown the doors off the non-con season, and even after all the Valley wars have been played out, there should be around 7 different teams that should be playoff eligible. I'd put up teams that go 4-4 in the MVFC this season against ANY team in the country.

Hopefully come playoff selection time, the MVFC will be rewarded with at least 5 teams included and ready to battle for a national championship. YES!

rokamortis
September 24th, 2014, 06:13 AM

Won vs SC State (30-3)

I just don't see it.

Dewey

We are too high. I think between 5-10 is right - but rankings are still early. We started high from last year and have so far kept the momentum. We have also played a full FCS schedule so I think that helps. We return 3 WR with significant playing time and a RB who is proving to be as equal a stud, just in a different way. Taliaferro (guy from last year) has said that he knew that Henderson (guy from this year) was really good and was concerned about losing out to him. So he worked extra hard in the off season and emerged as the starter - but knew it was a close battle. Defense has also improved.

To correct what someone suggested earlier, we do not get a lot of SEC transfers. Occasionally we'll get one from South Carolina - but we don't tend to rely on transfers. I know there is a DB from SC who is vying for playing time and a graduate OL from Georgia Tech who was plagued with injury before Coastal and I don't think we'll even see him at all. Last year a starting WR was from SC and a couple of years ago our QB was from SC but those are the only notable SEC guys I recall.

We've also gotten transfers from Savannah State and graduate students from Wofford (2013) and Georgetown (2014). The Savannah State kid is a starter on our DL. The other two were/are backup QBs. If you guys hear of any stud SEC DLs that are looking for a home, tell them to check out Coastal. xthumbsupx

jmrepak
September 24th, 2014, 06:19 AM

Won vs SC State (30-3)

I just don't see it.

Dewey
Our star running back was a big loss for us and I thought it would have a huge impact. Well it has. Henderson is ahead of where Zo was in yardage and yards per carry through game 4 and he hasn't played more than 2.5 qtrs in either of the last two weeks. The receiver loss has had some impact on our production. The receivers are still good but we don't have as much of a deep ball threat. The big change is our defense. It is much better than it was last year and is improving every week. We are better defending the pass than the rush, but our linebacker Quinn Backus is an X-factor. Teams just struggle to account for him. All in all, we are a better overall team than last year, and the team deserves the ranking they have. The only thing I wish is that we had a little better schedule. 1 MEAC team would be okay but 3 was monotonous. I would like to see a decent CAA or western team.

jmrepak
September 24th, 2014, 06:25 AM
We are too high. I think between 5-10 is right - but rankings are still early. We started high from last year and have so far kept the momentum. We have also played a full FCS schedule so I think that helps. We return 3 WR with significant playing time and a RB who is proving to be as equal a stud, just in a different way. Taliaferro (guy from last year) has said that he knew that Henderson (guy from this year) was really good and was concerned about losing out to him. So he worked extra hard in the off season and emerged as the starter - but knew it was a close battle. Defense has also improved.

To correct what someone suggested earlier, we do not get a lot of SEC transfers. Occasionally we'll get one from South Carolina - but we don't tend to rely on transfers. I know there is a DB from SC who is vying for playing time and a graduate OL from Georgia Tech who was plagued with injury before Coastal and I don't think we'll even see him at all. Last year a starting WR was from SC and a couple of years ago our QB was from SC but those are the only notable SEC guys I recall.

We've also gotten transfers from Savannah State and graduate students from Wofford (2013) and Georgetown (2014). The Savannah State kid is a starter on our DL. The other two were/are backup QBs. If you guys hear of any stud SEC DLs that are looking for a home, tell them to check out Coastal. xthumbsupx
Rok and I disagreed on our Coastalfans.com board on this too. I think we are a top 5 time. I don't think anyone can argue for the top spot over NDSU. EWU has a great offense but I believe we could hang with them and most of the CAA as well as other high production offenses. You can argue the order of the 2-5 spots, but CCU should be in it.

UNH72Plus
September 24th, 2014, 08:38 AM

I was just browsing through Massey to see where they rank UNH, which turned out to be 13th. The baffling part was the range of rankings from the 30 different systems was #4th to #58th!!! A system called Pointshare Ratings is the culprit who listed UNH at 58th behind, among others, #6 North Carolina A&T (3-1), #20 Elon (1-), #23 Citadel (0-3), #32 Abilene Christian (2-2), and #53 Prairie View (0-3).

Theee Catrabbit
September 24th, 2014, 08:42 AM
You go to comic book conventions often?

Not since I was a lad...and they were pretty local.....I would like to take my kid to San Diego someday, that thing looks pretty wild. But, my point being is it sounds like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons around here......"Worst Massey ever!":D

UNIFanSince1983
September 24th, 2014, 09:08 AM
That's pretty extraordinary. Has there ever been a conference so dominant in the Massey Rankings? Hard to imagine.

That being said, it will be interesting to see how these rankings are effected by the wins and losses that will take place to one another. If SDSU loses to NDSU by one point, do they slide because they have a loss, or do they stay in place or move up since they perform as expected? I wonder how close this will mirror the SRS rankings that the FCS uses to determine at large playoff spots. If so, and the MVFC continues to rank strongly, maybe they will finally get four teams into the playoffs this year, or at least three.

The thing is these computer ratings actually take into account if you play a team close that is ranked high. So SDSU would not slide much by losing to NDSU by a point. At least that is the way most of them work. It is why barring something crazy happening here in the last OOC games the MVFC should stay pretty consistently high in these rankings.

dewey
September 24th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks to jmrepak and rokamortis for further insight in the 2014 Coastal Carolina football team.

Dewey