PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-22

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2014, 12:08 AM
True to my word, you all get these first this week. Some great non-conference games last week involving the Big Sky teams. It helped to clear up some things and helped to muddle up some others. Conference play starts up this weekend so now things will get much clearer. Here are this week's Big Sky power rankings (last week in parenthesis). This should create much discussion this time. Have at it.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---This season, the mantra surrounding the Eagles team must be to never give up as they were able to come from behind at Montana State and steal one. This weekend they continue on the road as they go out to UC-Davis.

2. Montana State (3)---As mentioned, the Bobcats had the Eagles on the ropes and down for the count. Yet, instead of heading in to overtime, the Bobcats found themselves on the short end. They get a possible trap game this weekend as North Dakota comes to town.

3. Montana (2)---The Grizzlies ran into a really strong team last week on the road at national champions North Dakota State. They were, however, able to stay close until the end. They stay home this weekend as Northern Colorado comes to their home den.

4. Sacramento State (4)---The Hornets took care of business as they should, jumping on Menlo College early and not letting up. They may be able to accomplish the same thing this weekend as they head out to Idaho State.

5. Northern Arizona (5)---The Lumberjacks took one on the chin last weekend at the hands of the Missouri Valley's South Dakota team. They will need to shake it off really soon as this weekend they entertain Cal Poly.

6. Southern Utah (6)---The Thunderbirds stepped up a level last week and headed out to Fresno State where they made a game of it for the first half, before the wheels came off. This weekend, they open with Weber State at home.

7. Cal Poly (9)---To say the Mustangs offense exploded last week against Portland State would be a serious understatement as they could do no wrong. Hopefully the performance will jumpstart the season as they go out to Northern Arizona.

8. Weber State (7)---The Wildcats headed out to play the Southland's Stephen F Austin squad and came back on the losing end. However each nonconference game has been relatively close which bodes well for the season, which starts this weekend at Southern Utah.

9. UC-Davis (8)---The Aggies had a bye week last week to get relatively healthy. This weekend they start conference play by welcoming the high-flying Eastern Washington team.

10. North Dakota (13)---The No-Names picked up a win again last week, beating the CAA's own Stony Brook at home. Feeling good so far this season, they get to start the year at a strong Montana State team.

11. Idaho State (11)---The Bengals also had last week off to rest up and heal in order to get ready for conference play. They start this weekend, hosting Sacramento State.

12. Portland State (10)---Surprisingly, the Vikings looked inept last week at Cal Poly, a situation that does not bode well for conference play this year. Luckily, they have a bye week before their conference season starts.

13. Northern Colorado (12)---The Bears headed out to Missouri Valley's powerhouse team, Northern Iowa and could not get anything going. Hopefully, some good practice for this week as they head out to play powerhouse Montana on the road.

RECAP: 1-3 bunched at the top, 4-13 bunched at the bottom.

robsnotes4u
September 23rd, 2014, 07:23 AM
1-3 perfect, the rest is a cluster ****. A lot of parity in the BSC. Surprised UND won last week. Big question is which one of the teams 4-13 upsets one of the top 3.

tomq04
September 23rd, 2014, 08:00 AM
1-3 perfect, the rest is a cluster ****. A lot of parity in the BSC. Surprised UND won last week. Big question is which one of the teams 4-13 upsets one of the top 3.

Look to the road games for upsets, otherwise I think top 3 are very sound compared to the rest of the big sky. Last game to work me up will be Portland State, they always play to win against EWU. i think EWU handles the griz in cheney.

robsnotes4u
September 23rd, 2014, 08:37 AM
Look to the road games for upsets, otherwise I think top 3 are very sound compared to the rest of the big sky. Last game to work me up will be Portland State, they always play to win against EWU. i think EWU handles the griz in cheney.

could very well be EWU and MSU undefeated in conference when the Griz play MSU. MSU Sharing the Conference Title with EWU (weird as EWU beat MSU). Long ways to go until that with a lot of games.

cpalum
September 23rd, 2014, 09:10 AM
That looks about right....I'm biased but I'm betting Cal Poly may be the biggest wild card on that board. I'd pick them to upset NAU this weekend in Flagstaff.

robsnotes4u
September 23rd, 2014, 10:35 AM
That looks about right....I'm biased but I'm betting Cal Poly may be the biggest wild card on that board. I'd pick them to upset NAU this weekend in Flagstaff.

Don't know if it is much of an upset. Versus has Cal Poly as a 1 point favorite with a 52% chance of winning. At least someone likes you!

tomq04
September 23rd, 2014, 10:48 AM
At this point I don't think that would be an upset either. If it weren't for those silly arrests I would have had them in a firm fight for # 2, if not the title.

If they win this weekend, they should bump up to 4 on the power rankings next week IMO.

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2014, 08:16 PM
At this point I don't think that would be an upset either. If it weren't for those silly arrests I would have had them in a firm fight for # 2, if not the title.

If they win this weekend, they should bump up to 4 on the power rankings next week IMO.

If they look as good as they did against Portland State, they would be up for consideration for #4. I won't say for sure as it depends on other games and other factors, but they would be considered. A road win over NAU, if they look good doing it, they'd at least be higher than NAU. Whoever wins between Southern Utah and Weber could also make a contention for #4, depending on the outcome. It would help if Sac State would lose against Idaho State (or at least win very ugly).

A little insight into my thinking.;)

veinup
September 23rd, 2014, 11:02 PM
top three are definitely correct. the rest i have no idea.

Walkon79
September 24th, 2014, 11:58 AM
EWU Clearly #1. UM has offensive problems and MSU the same on the defensive side. Whomever figures it out will be in the hunt for a conference title.

darell1976
September 24th, 2014, 12:12 PM

Hopefully UND surprises everyone every week. Total underdogs for the rest of the season. Maybe UND can catch the bigger teams napping or overlooking us for someone else.

robsnotes4u
September 24th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Hopefully UND surprises everyone every week. Total underdogs for the rest of the season. Maybe UND can catch the bigger teams napping or overlooking us for someone else.
Going up to the Griz UND game for the third time. Two kids there now.

Maybe defense sounds A lot better. Maybe the Griz game will be 9-7

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts

dudeitsaid
September 24th, 2014, 02:04 PM
EWU Clearly #1. UM has offensive problems and MSU the same on the defensive side. Whomever figures it out will be in the hunt for a conference title.
I wouldn't say that. I think EWU and MSU are close to even.

MSU and Prukop are still growing, and likely haven't hit their peak this year yet.

EWU has serious concerns on D, some of the receiving corp hasn't lived up to expectations or are injured, and if we have any injuries to the OL, we could see similar struggles to the Ducks versus Wazzu.

I could see either team winning the BSC crown, depending on how the season progresses, but even now, I don't see a huge gap between the two.

Already looking forward to next years battle in Cheney. It's gonna be epic!

tomq04
September 24th, 2014, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see msu share the championship this year as strange as that is. Too bad they have to survive the griz at the end of the schedule.

Red & Black
September 25th, 2014, 05:14 AM
1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana State
3. Sac State
4. Montana
5. Cal Poly
6. Northern Arizona
7. UC Davis
8. Idaho State
9. North Dakota
10. Weber State
11. Southern Utah
12. Portland State
13. Northern Colorado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomq04
September 25th, 2014, 11:12 AM
1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana State
3. Sac State
4. Montana
5. Cal Poly
6. Northern Arizona
7. UC Davis
8. Idaho State
9. North Dakota
10. Weber State
11. Southern Utah
12. Portland State
13. Northern Colorado

That's a bold prediction Cotton, lets see how it turns out for them.

tomq04
September 27th, 2014, 11:30 PM
I'm going with:
EWU
Montanta
MSU
Cal Poly
SUU
NAU
Sac St
Weber State
Idaho State