PDA

View Full Version : Football At Georgetown: Then and Now

DFW HOYA
September 22nd, 2014, 10:57 PM
A well written article from the student newspaper at Georgetown about how football reestablished itself on the campus and the scholarship clouds upon its horizon.

Said the president of the football booster club: "Certainly we are in a difficult situation playing in a scholarship league. We are approaching a point where we are going to be uncompetitive and where our student-athletes are at a point of injury risk. We are having discussions with the university [on scholarships] but no decisions have been made."

A following quote from its athletic director reads that Georgetown will "continue membership in the Patriot League and compete as a need-based aid program."

http://www.thehoya.com/50-years-on-re-evaluating-footballs-position/

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2014, 12:18 AM
Great article. Thanks for posting!

DetroitFlyer
September 23rd, 2014, 07:49 AM
Not buying into the injury comments. GT will have no problem landing FCS size and ability players with the current model.

RichH2
September 23rd, 2014, 08:04 AM
True enuf flyer. Hoyas always seem to have good skills. The problem really is that it does not fund the current model adequately. A fully funded need program would indeed keep Hoyas competitive ad occasionally good. Now Hoyas do not recruit enuf good players to compete successfully. Whether need or merit,GU needs to commit funds which apparently it cannot.

M Ruler
September 23rd, 2014, 09:15 AM
I am sure this topic has been "talked to death" but I have not read about it. I assume GTown is a very wealthy school?? They may not have Harvard's Endowment Fund but I assume with hoops and a sizable fund of their own funding football should be simple, right? Am I missing something here?

RichH2
September 23rd, 2014, 09:22 AM
I am sure this topic has been "talked to death" but I have not read about it. I assume GTown is a very wealthy school?? They may not have Harvard's Endowment Fund but I assume with hoops and a sizable fund of their own funding football should be simple, right? Am I missing something here?

It has . I wont attempt to explain. DFW knows the issues and reality of football at GU. Perhaps he will post. If not there are numerous threads with exhaustive discussion. A sad frustrating situation .

Franks Tanks
September 23rd, 2014, 09:24 AM
It depends on what your definition of "competitive" would be. I don't know if Georgetown even needs scholarships, although it would of course assist greatly. Correct me if i'm wrong but I was always under the impression that the Hoya's spent much less on need based aid for football than the other schools. A bump in the amount of need based aid available would help the Hoya's attract and retain more talent, and would keep them at least somewhat competitive with the PL. Oh and a decent stadium would help too. Nothing crazy, just a modest but functional facility like much of the NEC maintains.

Build a stadium like Sacred Heart or Robert Morris that is at least respectable. Give more need based aid. Schedule the weaker Ivy programs, and Georgetown would be fine. They would measure up very well against most of the Ivies and compete in the PL. This would take additional funds, but less than funding a bigger stadium and going to scholarships.

In addition the Georgetown lax team, which is quite good, also uses MSF does it not? Why can't football and lax coordinate on a nice 5k seat stadium to be used by both programs? The lax team needs it as well. A little while ago I watched the Hoya's host the Terps in men's lax and MSF was burtsing at the seems for that contest as well.

RichH2
September 23rd, 2014, 10:19 AM
FT
According to DFW,GU spends substantially less. I forget the exact # of equivalencies but it is quite low.
They could do it on need aid.
Think I saw GU actually got the money for stadium a while ago but nothing done.

PAllen
September 23rd, 2014, 10:49 AM
I'm not buying the injury threat. It's not like they're going to put a bunch of middle school kids up against the Baltimore Ravens. Sure, they'll be smaller, and it may not be as much fun, but when McNeese State plays Nebraska or Oklahoma they don't come away in body bags. I also see no reason why the Hoyas can't be competitive in the PL without scholarships. I honestly think that the facilities issue is the biggest one. I know if I'm coming on a recruiting visit and I see the MSF in it's current form, I'm going elsewhere if I have other options. Recruit smart kids who can either pay their own way, or have enough financial need that the University will meet it, just like the rest of the PL did for years. Do those things well, and you'll win the league every now and again, and win some games every year.

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2014, 04:32 PM
DFW HOYA's superb, well-written Georgetown football blog, The Third Rail, has everything one would want to know about the scholarship situation, football funding, and Georgetown's status in the Patriot League . . . and then some.

The Third Rail (http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/)

It's well worth a thorough read.

Fox 94
September 23rd, 2014, 07:17 PM
It should be noted that Marist built a fine facility for $4mil, at least according to DFW, while Georgetown, a proclaimed IVY equivalent school, has a **** hole facility after raising over 12 million.

Maybe that Georgetown degree isn't worth as much as you have been told to believe.

DetroitFlyer
September 25th, 2014, 07:50 AM
It is obvious that Georgetown belongs in the PFL.

jmrepak
September 25th, 2014, 09:59 AM
About a $1.3 Billion endowment. For reference, Coastal Carolina is only 21 years old, has a $25.5 million endowment and is a top 5 team. It is not an issue of money. It is what they choose to do with it.

Bill
September 25th, 2014, 09:59 AM
It is obvious that Georgetown belongs in the PFL.

For football, perhaps...but (rightly or wrongly) Georgetown's administration wants them to be associated with institutions of similar academic profiles...

rokamortis
September 25th, 2014, 10:01 AM
About a $1.3 Billion endowment. For reference, Coastal Carolina is only 21 years old, has a $25.5 million endowment and is a top 5 team. It is not an issue of money. It is what they choose to do with it.

Tuition is more too - but at the end of the day you are absolutely correct. It is about what they choose to do with it. They have enough wealthy alumni that they could probably finance a team if they truly wanted it as a priority.

Model Citizen
September 25th, 2014, 11:10 AM
For football, perhaps...but (rightly or wrongly) Georgetown's administration wants them to be associated with institutions of similar academic profiles...

They regularly schlep through schedules with Marist, Dayton, and Davidson. Can't imagine having them on the league schedule would be a big deal. Butler is a Big East school, with which they have chosen to be "associated" in a number of sports.

Wherever they end up, the Hoyas will have three Ivy League fb games each year through 2017 at least...