PDA

View Full Version : NDSU New AD Announced

IBleedYellow
September 22nd, 2014, 12:32 PM
"Matt Larsen of Stony Brook has been named the new athletic director at North Dakota State, President Dean Bresciani announced today."

http://www.inforum.com/content/ndsu-names-new-athletic-director

MTfan4life
September 22nd, 2014, 12:34 PM
Insert landslide talks of UND beating Stony Brook right before this was announced in 3....2....1....

JSUBison
September 22nd, 2014, 12:44 PM
Has El Guano been consoled yet? Poor Crum didn't stand a chance with the curse and all.

BisonFan02
September 22nd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Insert landslide talks of UND beating Stony Brook right before this was announced in 3....2....1....

Meh....let em. xlolx

BisonBacker
September 22nd, 2014, 02:02 PM
I guess we'll see how he does. I'm not sure how I feel about this hire. At first honestly it wan't "Wow I'm not impressed". 19 years and no AD experience just Senior Associate director say's to me "meh" All I can really say is don't screw it up!!!!!

kingranch
September 22nd, 2014, 03:24 PM
Dear Mr. Larsen, you have been handed the keys to a finely tuned Lamborghini, please don't wrap the ****ing thing around a telephone pole.

Sincerely,
All Bison Fans

Professor Chaos
September 22nd, 2014, 03:44 PM
I know next to nothing about him and his bio (http://www.goseawolves.org/genrel/larsen_matt00.html) doesn't really give much more information. I'll trust that the search committee and President Bresciani did their research. I'm surprised by how young he is (guessing he must be about 40 since he got his undergrad from Stony Brook in 1996). I think the big question most people wanted to read an answer from this hire was whether NDSU's administration is contemplating an FBS move. I'm not sure this does much to answer it because he comes from a fellow FCS university in Stony Brook but he did oversee a massive increase in scholarship/athletic budget while he was there so both the pro-FCS and pro-FBS portions of our fan base/alumni could draw conclusions on NDSU's motives based on that.

BisonBacker
September 22nd, 2014, 03:52 PM
It's one thing I've noticed is absent from our admin is any talk of FBS. But did you catch coach K's comments on gameday? He replied when directly asked about a moveup was something to the effect of lets see in 3-5 years the landscape. Our administration had better be on top of this. Depending on what happens with the power5 whether fans like it or not a move may be necessary depending on the landscape of college athletics. I just want to make sure NDSU is playing with peer schools and not be left behind like what happened 30 years ago. Our administration screwed the pooch back then and hopefully this administration doesn't make the same mistake should a moveup be necessary.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 22nd, 2014, 03:56 PM
It's one thing I've noticed is absent from our admin is any talk of FBS. But did you catch coach K's comments on gameday? He replied when directly asked about a moveup was something to the effect of lets see in 3-5 years the landscape. Our administration had better be on top of this. Depending on what happens with the power5 whether fans like it or not a move may be necessary depending on the landscape of college athletics. I just want to make sure NDSU is playing with peer schools and not be left behind like what happened 30 years ago. Our administration screwed the pooch back then and hopefully this administration doesn't make the same mistake should a moveup be necessary.

I agree.

With whatever happens with the top 5 conferences, NDSU needs to be in the 2nd level of football.

Bisonoline
September 22nd, 2014, 09:34 PM
I guess we'll see how he does. I'm not sure how I feel about this hire. At first honestly it wan't "Wow I'm not impressed". 19 years and no AD experience just Senior Associate director say's to me "meh" All I can really say is don't screw it up!!!!!

His resume is impressive. Experience in many facets of the athletic dept.

IBleedYellow
September 22nd, 2014, 09:36 PM
My thoughts:

Welcome to the herd, Matt. You said you belong at NDSU. Time to prove it.

Bisonoline
September 22nd, 2014, 10:58 PM
Has El Guano been consoled yet? Poor Crum didn't stand a chance with the curse and all.

elchipeno is being his normal dickless self. He has no clue what it take to run an AD but hes an expert on the qualifications to do so. You would think hes a UND fan the way he acts.

MplsBison
September 23rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
His resume is impressive. Experience in many facets of the athletic dept.

It is impressive reading about how many different functions within an athletic department he has experience.

Except for ... you know, being an athletic director! That one might be important.

Am I down on the hire out of the gate? No. Above all, he is very intelligent and has experienced just about everything you can experience in an AD without actually landing the big desk.

But it still makes me wonder about two things:

1 - why was he passed over for the Stony Brook job? Was it just that their president wanted to go outside? Or do they know something that we don't?

2 - Why is NDSU a program that gives so many "first swings" in our big three positions (AD, head football, head basketball)? I haven't researched this, but my hunch is that bigger programs don't do this nearly as often. In other words, they require previous experience!

On the other hand, GT, Bohl, Miles and Phillips have worked out well. Maybe it's just not as important as one might think.

MplsBison
September 23rd, 2014, 10:24 AM
And one other thing.

It seems to me that the program Larsen comes from is a public state flagship university in New York, like NDSU is for North Dakota. And it also seems to me that they play their rival in-state public flagship (Albany) every year in football.

So my advise to Larsen?

1) Find a way, by hook or by crook, to restart the rivalry with UND every year that won't result in any reasonable loss of revenue for NDSU!!

Think outside the box. A yearly game in Minneapolis at the new Vikings stadium, with a Fox Sports 1 contract? Consider anything and everything.

2) Don't consider any input from members of Team Makers, in regards to this subject. They're mostly selfish old men who would rather put NDSU at a loss than see the annual series resume.

Deny them any actual influence. Politely nod your head as they talk about irrelevant things that happened over a decade ago and then walk away.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 23rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
2) Don't consider any input from members of Team Makers, in regards to this subject. They fund the majority of the scholarships that you use to get athletes.

Deny them any actual influence. Politely nod your head as they talk about irrelevant things that happened over a decade ago and then walk away.

FIFY

Bisonator
September 23rd, 2014, 10:52 AM
I just thank god Mpls and Lakes have ZERO influence over NDSU athletics!

BisonFan02
September 23rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
And one other thing.

It seems to me that the program Larsen comes from is a public state flagship university in New York, like NDSU is for North Dakota. And it also seems to me that they play their rival in-state public flagship (Albany) every year in football.

So my advise to Larsen?

1) Find a way, by hook or by crook, to restart the rivalry with UND every year that won't result in any reasonable loss of revenue for NDSU!!

Think outside the box. A yearly game in Minneapolis at the new Vikings stadium, with a Fox Sports 1 contract? Consider anything and everything.

2) Don't consider any input from members of Team Makers, in regards to this subject. They're mostly selfish old men who would rather put NDSU at a loss than see the annual series resume.

Albany and Stony Brook are in the same conference......did they play each other every year when they weren't (when Stony Brook was in the Big South and Albany in the NEC)? I'm too lazy to check.

BisonFan02
September 23rd, 2014, 10:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany%E2%80%93Stony_Brook_football_rivalry

I guess you gotta start somewhere? That sure looks like apples/apples MPLS.....

and it looks like from 2008-10, when Stony Brook was in the Big South, these two long time rivals didn't play each other.....weird.

dewey
September 23rd, 2014, 04:14 PM
I just thank god Mpls and Lakes (aka El Chapo) have ZERO influence over NDSU athletics!

100% agreed.

Dewey

BisonBacker
September 23rd, 2014, 04:42 PM

100% agreed.

Dewey

I concur. What a loon he is.

Bison56
September 23rd, 2014, 05:18 PM
And one other thing.

So my advise to Larsen?

Did you sit in the corner with a pointy hat a lot in school?

danefan
September 23rd, 2014, 08:16 PM
Albany and Stony Brook are in the same conference......did they play each other every year when they weren't (when Stony Brook was in the Big South and Albany in the NEC)? I'm too lazy to check.

No. But remember, Stony Brook went full scholarship much sooner than Albany. Our long time head coach did not want to play them on unequal footing.

BisonFan02
September 23rd, 2014, 09:25 PM
No. But remember, Stony Brook went full scholarship much sooner than Albany. Our long time head coach did not want to play them on unequal footing.

I think we just found the common ground with the MPLS comparison? Intention wasn't to tear down Albany/Stony Brook...rather the ridiculous comparison he tried to make.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2014, 11:35 AM
FIFY

As far as I've known, the AD's seat at NDSU has never been for sale.

If you choose to donate money to NDSU to support athletic scholarships, then good for you. You've done a good thing and your deserve your recognition luncheon or whatever party they throw you. But nothing more. You never earned and will never get a seat at the table, no matter how much you donate. And that's just how it is and how it ought to be.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 24th, 2014, 11:39 AM

If you choose to donate money to NDSU to support athletic scholarships, then good for you. You've done a good thing and your deserve your recognition luncheon or whatever party they throw you. But nothing more. You never earned and will never get a seat at the table, no matter how much you donate. And that's just how it is and how it ought to be.

Pat Simmers is Senior Associate Athletic Director at NDSU. You don't seem to understand how the team works.

NDSUtk
September 24th, 2014, 12:59 PM

Not true... The President of Team Makers was on the selection committee:
"Dudzik and women’s golfer Emma Kusick were the student representatives of the committee that also included Team Makers booster club president Paul Bougie, NDSU associate athletic director for compliance Colleen Heimstead, professor and former Bison football player Sam Markell, director of admissions Jobey Lichtau and former president of the NDSU Development Foundation Jonal Uglem. NDSU assistant dean Jane Schuh was the committee chair."

http://www.inforum.com/content/dudzik-learned-lot-hiring-new-ndsu-ad

Bisonator
September 24th, 2014, 01:01 PM

No. No it's not. Thanks for your interest in NDSU athletics though. xrolleyesx

Pards Rule
September 24th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Hey there are some good Easterners as you Bison know :) We did beat Stony Brook first year we ever played and lost to them the following year to end the two gamer. No blowouts.

Sader87
September 24th, 2014, 02:55 PM
The former Stony Brook AD couldn't have been in that position too long. Didn't their previous AD just step down less than a year ago amidst a scandal?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 24th, 2014, 06:33 PM
And one other thing.

So my advise to Larsen?

xdeadhorsex

It is so much nicer when you stay away....xnodx

MplsBison
September 24th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Pat Simmers is Senior Associate Athletic Director at NDSU. You don't seem to understand how the team works.

Pat Simmers does have a seat at the table. He has more than earned it.

Someone who donates $10k to NDSU athletic department has not earned a seat at the table. Nor would donating any​ amount.

MplsBison
September 24th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Watched the video of Larsen's press conference this morning. He sounded good, said the right things, wasn't asked any hard questions. (Though some in the media stupidly continue to refer to Stony Brook as a Land Grant, which it is obviously not)

The NDSU job is pretty simple, so long as football keeps winning and men's basketball stays relevant. The true job is making sure football and men's basketball have what they need to succeed in recruiting - both new players and new coaches (as our coaches will inevitably leave for larger programs).

That means staying competitive with the best of the best nationally in terms of facilities and coaching salaries (adjusted for cost of living).

But getting the UND rivalry restarted in football every year would be a nice bonus. As would be starting a men's hockey team.

Now THAT would be quite a legacy.

BisonFan02
September 24th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Watched the video of Larsen's press conference this morning. He sounded good, said the right things, wasn't asked any hard questions. (Though some in the media stupidly continue to refer to Stony Brook as a Land Grant, which it is obviously not)

The NDSU job is pretty simple, so long as football keeps winning and men's basketball stays relevant. The true job is making sure football and men's basketball have what they need to succeed in recruiting - both new players and new coaches (as our coaches will inevitably leave for larger programs).

That means staying competitive with the best of the best nationally in terms of facilities and coaching salaries (adjusted for cost of living).

But getting the UND rivalry restarted in football every year would be a nice bonus. As would be starting a men's hockey team.

NO!!!!!!

Seawolf97
September 24th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Matt had almost 20 years at StonyBrook from his football days until now. You have a good AD who is smart and listens . We all wish him well he will be missed!

344Johnson
September 24th, 2014, 08:05 PM
NO!!!!!!

Gotta hand it to mpls.... High level troll.

Uncle Buck
September 24th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Good hire. I've never heard anything negative about him. Seemed to be well liked among everyone who knows him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MplsBison
September 24th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Good hire. I've never heard anything negative about him. Seemed to be well liked among everyone who knows him.

Then why didn't Stony Brook hire him as their AD?

MplsBison
September 24th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Gotta hand it to mpls.... High level troll.

Better make sure to let Larsen know that you're withholding your donation because you care more about your own made-up selfishness to appease virtual peers than you do about the student-athletes at the school you claim to support.

SUPharmacist
September 24th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Looking forward to seeing what he can do. would love to see the good times continue at NDSU. Hopefully we can maintain programs that are performing well, and elevate others.

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2014, 02:00 AM

You have to post 10x's more on crap like this than actual games.

Uncle Buck
September 25th, 2014, 05:31 AM

The only reason I could think of was because of the nature of the departure of his boss. While there was much speculation about the prior AD's relationships (and I use that in a broad sense of the word) with female staff, maybe the school wanted to go outside for a fresh start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 25th, 2014, 05:41 AM

NO and NO!!!

344Johnson
September 25th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Better make sure to let Larsen know that you're withholding your donation because you care more about your own made-up selfishness to appease virtual peers than you do about the student-athletes at the school you claim to support.

I see your tin foil hat has been cutting off blood supply. Loosen it up bro.

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2014, 08:17 AM
You have to post 10x's more on crap like this than actual games.

He's got an agenda and it's pretty obvious. Troll extraordinaire.

tjamz
September 25th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Yup

tjamz
September 25th, 2014, 08:28 AM
And one other thing.

So my advise to Larsen?

I'll give you $50 if you never mention UND or hockey at NDSU ever again. Unless the Jeopardy answer is: Two things that should never be played by NDSU.

Panther88
September 25th, 2014, 08:36 AM
What is his salary? Just curious.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 25th, 2014, 08:42 AM
What is his salary? Just curious.

Probably in the $200k range. North Dakota is one of those few red states that doesn't broadcast every public salary.

344Johnson
September 25th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Probably in the $200k range. North Dakota is one of those few red states that doesn't broadcast every public salary.

I don't like necessarily calling ND a red state but is neither here nor there.

BisonFan02
September 25th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I don't like necessarily calling ND a red state but is neither here nor there.

It is a red state...and pretty damn proud we are as well. Lets keep it that way.

Panther88
September 25th, 2014, 10:20 AM

I'm sure it's $$$$ well spent. We're paying a numbskull unqualified guy 157K annum to maintain historical and never improving loser programs as well as not seeking addt'l funding for the athletic dept. We are NOT too mentally bright in this part of Texas. :(

frozennorth
September 25th, 2014, 10:59 AM
It is a red state...and pretty damn proud we are as well. Lets keep it that way.
no, it isn't, at least not in the kansas/oklahoma/mississippi sense of the word. More old school populist than anything else.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 25th, 2014, 11:08 AM
no, it isn't, at least not in the kansas/oklahoma/mississippi sense of the word. More old school populist than anything else.

Maybe 30 years ago but they're all pretty much the same now. I live in Kansas now and it's just a warmer ND

darell1976
September 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Maybe 30 years ago but they're all pretty much the same now. I live in Kansas now and it's just a warmer ND

With a great basketball team. Go Jayhawks!!

KUlawJack
September 25th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Lawrence is not the rest of Kansas, however.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 25th, 2014, 01:24 PM

You're right. It's the only livable city in the whole damn state.

darell1976
September 25th, 2014, 01:44 PM
You're right. It's the only livable city in the whole damn state.

Its better than that hole they call a city, where NDSU was last year.

IBleedYellow
September 25th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Lol... Manhattan was a great town with fans that cared. Lawrence is full of a bunch of arrogant pricks.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 25th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Lol... Manhattan was a great town with fans that cared. Lawrence is full of a bunch of arrogant pricks.

Of course it is.

BisonFan02
September 25th, 2014, 02:07 PM

Agreed.

IBleedYellow
September 25th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Of course it is.

I have family from there...Way too many experiences that tell me otherwise.

citdog
September 25th, 2014, 03:12 PM

Some gentleman from Missouri thought it a wonderful tourist town on the 21st of August 1863.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2014, 04:04 PM
The only reason I could think of was because of the nature of the departure of his boss. While there was much speculation about the prior AD's relationships (and I use that in a broad sense of the word) with female staff, maybe the school wanted to go outside for a fresh start.

Well it's either that or they know something that NDSU's committee wasn't able to dig up on him.

Because our president was falling over himself, pushing small children out of the way to sign this guy up for his first ever job behind the big desk. That for what he called a "plum job".

Again, not down on Larsen. I can see that he has a lot of very impressive credentials and past experiences on his resume. Just not the one that matters...

MplsBison
September 25th, 2014, 04:08 PM
NO and NO!!!

Why not?

Hockey is popular in in the upper midwest, as far as I know.

And you're going to experience how epic the NDSU - UND football rivalry is in DI next year. The way the rivalry was back in NCC/DII vs. the intensity of how it's going to be in DI is analogous to HD television vs. one of those giant piece of furniture televisions with the spinning knobs on the front.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Out of 700k people in the state in 2012, only 188k cast a vote for the guy who believes Egyptians built boats and sailed to upstate New York two thousand years before Christ was born.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2014, 04:16 PM

It has to do with the number of old Scandinavians living in the state and their sentiments on how things "ought" to be. As they're dying off, the next generations (in addition to move-ins from out of the region) will shift.

MplsBison
September 25th, 2014, 04:18 PM
I see your tin foil hat has been cutting off blood supply. Loosen it up bro.

Oh, so you renounced your previous (despicable) comments about how you were no longer going to donate to NDSU's athletic department?

Glad to see you came to your senses, whatever that you have.

Bisonoline
September 25th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Well it's either that or they know something that NDSU's committee wasn't able to dig up on him.

Because our president was falling over himself, pushing small children out of the way to sign this guy up for his first ever job behind the big desk. That for what he called a "plum job".

Again, not down on Larsen. I can see that he has a lot of very impressive credentials and past experiences on his resume. Just not the one that matters...

GENE Taylor was never a big time ad before he came to NDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 26th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Why not?

Hockey is popular in in the upper midwest, as far as I know.

And you're going to experience how epic the NDSU - UND football rivalry is in DI next year. The way the rivalry was back in NCC/DII vs. the intensity of how it's going to be in DI is analogous to HD television vs. one of those giant piece of furniture televisions with the spinning knobs on the front.

I'll tell you "Why not"

#1: NDSU doesn't need to sacrifice a home game to go to UND which they eventually will have to if the game was annually played. Fine in 12 game seasons but they are not every year.

#2: NDSU doesn't need hockey. That would mean another 36 scholarships for a men's/women's team. Hockey is an expensive sport with all the travel. Let hockey by #1 at UND and football be #1 at NDSU.

Professor Chaos
September 26th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Welp, time to turn the "ignore thread" function on in my brain for this one.

344Johnson
September 26th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Oh, so you renounced your previous (despicable) comments about how you were no longer going to donate to NDSU's athletic department?

Glad to see you came to your senses, whatever that you have.

Nope. They won't get a dollar from me outside of when I buy tickets to sell for profit .

MplsBison
September 26th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Nope. They won't get a dollar from me outside of when I buy tickets to sell for profit .

Don't want your money anyway. Begone.

MplsBison
September 26th, 2014, 08:27 AM
GENE Taylor was never a big time ad before he came to NDSU.

He was never an AD period, before NDSU have him his first chance at the big desk. And it worked out very well for both.

Hence my second point in post #13. Taylor, Bohl, Klieman, Miles, Phillips, Richman ... now Larsen. I might be wrong, but I believe every single one of them got their first chance at NDSU. It has worked out well for the Bison so far (although Richman we don't know yet and Klieman is just in his first season playing with all kids Bohl closed).

MplsBison
September 26th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I'll tell you "Why not"

#1: NDSU doesn't need to sacrifice a home game to go to UND which they eventually will have to if the game was annually played. Fine in 12 game seasons but they are not every year.

#2: NDSU doesn't need hockey. That would mean another 36 scholarships for a men's/women's team. Hockey is an expensive sport with all the travel. Let hockey by #1 at UND and football be #1 at NDSU.

1 - who said they would have to go to Grand Forks?

As I said, he would have to think outside the box to ensure NDSU doesn't come out of the deal worse off in revenue than they would have otherwise been. There may not be a solution with that constraint.

But I gave him one idea that could potentially work: a yearly game in Minneapolis at the new Vikings stadium with a regional cable sports channel picking up the coverage (akin to the Army-Navy game, at a smaller scale). 30k tickets sold to each fan base, with profits split down the middle.

Might work, might not.

2 - I didn't say they needed it. They don't. No more than they "need" a baseball team, anyway. And a women's team would not be a requirement. There are DI hockey schools right now that only have a men's team. Plus NDSU has more male students anyway, being an Ag and Eng school. So title IX participation requirements only need to match the male/female split (not 50/50).

Lastly, there are plenty of schools that have an elite hockey program but where football still far surpasses the hockey team in budget, attendance, exposure, etc. NDSU would follow that lead.

And for what it's worth, if Larsen said we can either choose FBS football or men's hockey - I would pick FBS football every time. That would be the easiest decision in the world.

Thing is, the gate to FBS football is now welded shut for 12 years minimum. NDSU is stuck at the third tier of college football, smashed into that ceiling.

So given that, hockey might be the more feasible option.

KUlawJack
September 26th, 2014, 09:45 AM

I respectfully disagree.

Mancrappin is a **** hole.

EDIT: An interesting side note,* when I was in Iraq, we lived and ran missions out of a forward operating base named Camp Manhattan for about 3 months. The 1st ID from Fort Riley originally set it up during the initial invasion and we moved there as they transitioned back state-side.

*Interesting to me at least, given this discussion.

KUlawJack
September 26th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Some gentleman from Missouri thought it a wonderful tourist town on the 21st of August 1863.

I must refrain from engaging you in a discussion regarding the Lawrence Massacre.

The history of Bleeding Kansas is very interesting, however. Since I am not originally from Kansas, I knew little about it before moving there. Tragedy and brutality on both sides of the border taking place years before Fort Sumter.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 26th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I must refrain from engaging you in a discussion regarding the Lawrence Massacre.

The history of Bleeding Kansas is very interesting, however. Since I am not originally from Kansas, I knew little about it before moving there. Tragedy and brutality on both sides of the border.

He loves that story. To me, it's no big deal as this is a vibrant city that bears few "scars" from that incident long after the principal has returned to dust.

What's even stranger is the fact that the attack bears a striking resemblance to those activities now carried out by ISIS in Iraq.

KUlawJack
September 26th, 2014, 10:08 AM
He loves that story. To me, it's no big deal as this is a vibrant city that bears few "scars" from that incident long after the principal has returned to dust.

What's even stranger is the fact that the attack bears a striking resemblance to those activities now carried out by ISIS in Iraq.

Cit, do you feel the same way about General Ewing's General Order No. 11, Doc Jennison, and his Jennison tombstones in the Burnt District?

As I said, brutal violence on both sides of the border.

EDIT: Another "interesting" tidbit regarding the Lawrence Massacre. Quantrill marshaled his forces on top of Mount Oread, before descending on the city. KU sits atop Mount Oread today.

I apologize for hijacking a thread about NDSU's new AD.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 26th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Cit, do you feel the same way about General Ewing's General Order No. 11, Doc Jennison, and his Jennison tombstones in the Burnt District?

EDIT: Another "interesting" tidbit regarding the Lawrence Massacre. Quantrill marshaled his forces on top of Mount Oread, before descending on the city. KU sits atop Mount Oread today.

That ship sailed a long time ago.

citdog
September 26th, 2014, 10:46 AM

Lawrence protected and supported the murderer john brown and his sons and was all for his plan to murder every citizen in the Southern States. What Quantrill did was payback and was well deserved.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 26th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Pavlov ain't got nothing on me..

MplsBison
September 26th, 2014, 12:37 PM
"Captain" Quantrill??!

Captain of what?

citdog
September 26th, 2014, 12:49 PM
"Captain" Quantrill??!

Captain of what?

He was never commissioned by the Richmond Government. In fact he traveled to Richmond during the war seeking a commission as a Colonel and was denied. Perhaps the Missouri State Authorities commissioned him a Captain in 1862 but even that is highly questionable. What they did in Missouri and Kansas during the late war was highly personal and a great many atrocities were committed but only one 'side' wore the uniform and carried the flag.

MplsBison
September 26th, 2014, 12:51 PM
It was from a movie.