PDA

View Full Version : Liberty @ Indiana St. 9/27

knucklehead
September 22nd, 2014, 08:08 AM
Starting a discussion on this tough game in Terre Haute. Indiana St. fans, how about a scouting report?

From the LU side: here are some Bryant Highlights and News and Notes: http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=13195&TeamID=

Pards Rule
September 24th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Would like to rekindle the Liberty series - it was competitive!

Professor Chaos
September 24th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I was torn trying to pick this matchup in the MVFC pick 'em. I'm still not completely sold on Indiana St after their debacle last year but sounds like they've been able to stay relatively healthy this year and that's been key to their resurgence. I know their QB, Mike Perish, is a good passer so limiting him will probably be key for Liberty as it seems like they lean pretty heavily on their passing game offensively.

knucklehead
September 24th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Some matchup notes from beat writer Chris Lang http://m.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/liberty-football-notes-sycamores-no-pushover/article_1c5fe9f4-4368-11e4-b02a-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Liberty comes in with one of the top pass defenses in the country, but they really have not been tested like they will be in Terre Haute on Saturday. Youll probably see Kenny Scott on Owens most of the time. The big question is the matchups elsewhere on the field since Perish likes to spread the love around quite a bit through the air. The front seven will have to really step it up containing Booker and Logan as well, but if the DBs can take away the air game and make ISUb one dimensional to the run, theyll do very well.

Bisonator
September 24th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I was torn trying to pick this matchup in the MVFC pick 'em. I'm still not completely sold on Indiana St after their debacle last year but sounds like they've been able to stay relatively healthy this year and that's been key to their resurgence. I know their QB, Mike Perish, is a good passer so limiting him will probably be key for Liberty as it seems like they lean pretty heavily on their passing game offensively.

I went with ISU in this one just because they are at home and showing signs of life this year. Can't believe the apparent turn around for that team in one years time. We'll see if it continues....

Ghost
September 24th, 2014, 01:03 PM
This game feels a lot like the 2008 matchup between YSU and Liberty. Liberty went on the road and hit a last second field goal to win the game. Gotta feeling it will be that close in Terre Haute this weekend.

Sycamore62
September 24th, 2014, 01:28 PM
weather says 82 with a 6mph wind out of the east (the field goes NW to SE). I have spent all week looking at stats and scores and I cant decide what to expect. Dont use last year as a measuring stick. I think it was a bit of a fluke however in the MVFC 4-8 wouldnt have been unheard of.

ISU's defense seems pretty solid. The offense looks good sometimes. They seem real close but I think this is a must win if they have playoff hopes because if you look at current projections they could be out of contention before they get to play someone who isnt ranked. This game may answer questions for both teams.

knucklehead
September 24th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Great info from the Liberty SID folks on the game. http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=13219&TeamID=

clenz
September 24th, 2014, 03:38 PM
this game is all about ISU's offense vs Liberty's defense.

ISU is terrible at running ball at 2.7 ypc.
Liberty's run defense gives up about 4.5 ypc.

Mike Perish, and ISU, throw for just a touch under 300 a game on the season
Liberty has given up just 107 per game through the air (133 taking the bravard game out, who only threw 5 passes.

One of those trends will win the game. Either ISU will find a run game, or Perish will be slowed a bit.

Sadly for the MVFC, I think it's Liberty's pass defense making more plays the ISU run game.

knucklehead
September 24th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I think you are right. Pass d is looking good and Safety Jacob Hagen is very disruptive to a pass game. He has 7 INT's is his last 8 games. But he does a lot more than that.

but I'm also intrigued about the other side with LU passing offense (#20 260 ypg) vs the Sycamores pass d (#21 - 169 ypg). Liberty is also putting up 176 ypg rushing while Ind st is giving up 203. Lots of interesting matchups. If LU can shut down the pass, the rest doesn't matter. But if now, we could have a shootout.

clenz
September 24th, 2014, 04:24 PM
I think you are right. Pass d is looking good and Safety Jacob Hagen is very disruptive to a pass game. He has 7 INT's is his last 8 games. But he does a lot more than that.

but I'm also intrigued about the other side with LU passing offense (#20 260 ypg) vs the Sycamores pass d (#21 - 169 ypg). Liberty is also putting up 176 ypg rushing while Ind st is giving up 203. Lots of interesting matchups. If LU can shut down the pass, the rest doesn't matter. But if now, we could have a shootout.
I have little doubt about Liberty moving the ball enough to score just enough points to win.

It's the complete lack of any sort of run game for ISU that concerns me.

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2014, 04:36 PM
It probably will come down to the run game. If the flames can get to Perish and force ISUb to play one sided football , it could be a lot more one sided of a final score

knucklehead
September 24th, 2014, 05:42 PM
LFSN Game on video preview. http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=13223&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sycamore62
September 24th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I don't think Liberty will score easy. ISUb is giving up just ~30yds per game more than Liberty and they have played 2 FBS teams

bjtheflamesfan
September 24th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Liberty has a very explosive offense Sycamore62, so given an opportunity, I do think they will be able to put up a good number of points. I think the matchup between the passing games on both sides and the passing defenses on both sides will be very telling.

Sycamore62
September 24th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Liberty has a very explosive offense Sycamore62, so given an opportunity, I do think they will be able to put up a good number of points. I think the matchup between the passing games on both sides and the passing defenses on both sides will be very telling.

I think I put the emphasis in the wrong area, I'm saying that I think ISUb's defense is probably their best aspect. I think they FBS opponents have made the rushing game look a little worse than it is.

I think not being deep is the biggest knock.

Sycamore62
September 24th, 2014, 07:59 PM
How are the special teams. ISUb has a pretty solid punter and a respectable kicker. I haven't seen anything from returners that I thought should be reported

knucklehead
September 24th, 2014, 08:42 PM
LU hasn't been able to get much of a return game going yet.
Our kicker hit a 57 yard FG on Saturday setting a new LU and Big South record. Great leg and put kickoffs in EZ most of the time. Accuracy can be an issue at times on FGs.
Punter is doing fairly well most of the time but is still working on placement.

Sycamore62
September 25th, 2014, 08:32 AM
our off week has made these 2 weeks drag horribly for me. Im dying to see a football game.

knucklehead
September 25th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Crazy that both of LUs next opponents (INST and UR) get a bye week to prepare.

Sycamore62
September 25th, 2014, 11:04 AM
they had a pretty good article in the local paper last week about whether or not the bye week after a big win would be a good thing. I dont think we got any players back that would have otherwise been out.

Houndawg
September 25th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I have little doubt about Liberty moving the ball enough to score just enough points to win.

It's the complete lack of any sort of run game for ISU that concerns me.

sprint draw

knucklehead
September 26th, 2014, 08:56 AM
The thing about that lack of a run game is the fact that it should allow Liberty's D line to commit to the pass rush. Pressure and sacs would go a long way to disrupting ISU's passing game and to a W.

skinny_uncle
September 26th, 2014, 08:57 PM
The Trees might pull this out. I'm starting to believe.

knucklehead
September 26th, 2014, 09:26 PM
We will have to agree to disagree. Haha. Here is an early release game day write up from Chris Lang. http://m.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/rejuvenated-sycamores-up-next-for-flames/article_a0345d3e-44ce-11e4-b2d7-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 27th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Sycs win this 38-21

knucklehead
September 27th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Would be shocked with that score. We shall see. I'll say 28-17 Liberty

birdsflyhigh
September 27th, 2014, 10:32 AM
MAJOR turnaround for the Trees program from 1-11 last season to a beatdown of a top 25 team this season. Have Indiana State U in this one as they stomp out the Flames.

centennial
September 27th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Indiana State wins 35-20. Game won't even be close..

knucklehead
September 27th, 2014, 11:06 AM
So, I guess you aren't familiar with Libertys defense.

smoothjack
September 27th, 2014, 02:51 PM
This. Game. Is. Brutal.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Lots of action so far.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Huge 15 yd sack by the Sycs!

Theee Catrabbit
September 27th, 2014, 03:29 PM

Doesn't appear to be a defense......for either team

Twentysix
September 27th, 2014, 03:30 PM
FG by liberty 13-17

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't appear to be a defense......for either team

ISU got a pick and a huge sack in the last 5 minutes... They just don't look like an MVFC defense.

knucklehead
September 27th, 2014, 03:31 PM
2 lb out but yea. LU D struggling.

clenz
September 27th, 2014, 03:37 PM
FG by liberty 13-17

- - - Updated - - -

ISU got a pick and a huge sack in the last 5 minutes... They just don't look like an MVFC defense.
They aren't.

The MVFC looks real good ooc but you'll see the separation of the top from the bottom real quick on the season

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Twentysix
September 27th, 2014, 03:40 PM
TD sycs with about 9 seconds left in the half.
23-13
XP pending

centennial
September 27th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Liberty would be only better than WIU in the MVFC. If they played each other Liberty would be a 4 point favorite..

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2014, 04:12 PM

I feel like you mite hear about this later.

knucklehead
September 27th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Yea me too. But again 2 lb out. 1 an all American.

centennial
September 27th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Indiana State wins 35-20. Game won't even be close..
Will this come true?

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2014, 05:09 PM
31-13 6:10 remaining

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Liberty drives down no problem. 31-19 missed the 2pt failed onside. 4:51

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Liberty throws pick on their 9. Isu scores. 38-19 2:49 left

centennial
September 27th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Will this come true?
Guess I was wrong. 38-19.

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Yea me too. But again 2 lb out. 1 an all American.

Not sure if two lbs being out accounts for them doubling your score

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2014, 11:38 PM
ISUb 340yds passing, 128 yds rushing (2 runs totaled 73 yds and Perish lost 23yds total that included a couple long sacks)

penguinpower
September 28th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Impressive win for the underrated trees. Liberty is overrated. Liberty couldn't stop ISUb when then needed to. The trees ran at will against them in the 4th quarter
I really like ISUb's coach.

underdawg
September 29th, 2014, 07:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyUfo1IV_Wc

I'm a Saluki Fan---but the Sycs look pretty damn good to me! :)

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2014, 09:14 AM
the run game does frustrate me. When we get 4 yards on a run I feel like we just scored.

clenz
September 29th, 2014, 09:24 AM
If ISU doesn't get their run game straightened out real quick...and I mean real quick...they are in for a very long MVFC season, starting this weekend against one of the best run defenses, and pass rush, defenses in the FCS.

Professor Chaos
September 29th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Regardless of how the conference season plays out the Sycamores have a lot to be proud of this year. They've already exceeded the expectations of most impartial observers. Nothing wrong with wanting/hoping for more but they've already shown that they're much more this year than the speed bump on the schedule that they were last year.

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2014, 09:48 AM
If ISU doesn't get their run game straightened out real quick...and I mean real quick...they are in for a very long MVFC season, starting this weekend against one of the best run defenses, and pass rush, defenses in the FCS.

Thank God that we only have to play them once and we dont have to beat them for my 5 win prediction to come true which will get us to 8 wins and in the playoffs.

Sycamore51
September 29th, 2014, 09:52 AM
The run numbers are a little deceiving and not as significant as most would believe. With INST running a West Coast type of offense, we use short 3-4 yard routs and screens essentially as runs. We use backs in the traditional sense in order to keep linebackers and ends “honest” more than anything else. We essentially only run up the middle, so a lot of your big run gains are eliminated, but by running up the middle every few plays we suck in backers ends and allow for the wide receiver screens, quick outs, and short slants that make up a bulk of our offense.

clenz
September 29th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Regardless of how the conference season plays out the Sycamores have a lot to be proud of this year. They've already exceeded the expectations of most impartial observers. Nothing wrong with wanting/hoping for more but they've already shown that they're much more this year than the speed bump on the schedule that they were last year.
Don't disagree at all.

- - - Updated - - -

The run numbers are a little deceiving and not as significant as most would believe. With INST running a West Coast type of offense, we use short 3-4 yard routs and screens essentially as runs.We use backs in the traditional sense in order to keep linebackers and ends “honest” more than anything else.We essentially only run up the middle, so a lot of your big run gains are eliminated, but by running up the middle every few plays we suck in backers ends and allow for the wide receiver screens, quick outs, and short slants that make up a bulk of our offense.

Good luck keeping MVFC defenses honest at 1.8 YPC....That means nothing to people in this league.

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Good luck keeping MVFC defenses honest at 1.8 YPC....That means nothing to people in this league.

its not the 1.8 that will keep them honest. its the 25 or 50 yd run that does that

clenz
September 29th, 2014, 10:59 AM
its not the 1.8 that will keep them honest. its the 25 or 50 yd run that does that
How many of those have you had this year?

2 against a bad Liberty run defense....and....?

To average the 4.4 you did against Liberty you had 70 some yards of your 128 on 2 plays...with 1.8 the rest of the game.

That might work against

UNI will be more than willing to give up 1 25ish yard run if you average 1.8 on the rest of them. It means that UNI can drop 7 into coverage and play press.

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2014, 11:08 AM
How many of those have you had this year?

2 against a bad Liberty run defense....and....?

UNI will be more than willing to give up 1 25ish yard run if you average 1.8 on the rest of them. It means that UNI can drop 7 into coverage and play press.

It will likely not be just 1 25ish if they are going to drop 7. you will always be right as long as you get the piece of chalk last.

clenz
September 29th, 2014, 11:17 AM
It will likely not be just 1 25ish if they are going to drop 7. you will always be right as long as you get the piece of chalk last.
You're trying to tell me that a run game that averages 3.1 YPC, less than 100 yards per game, is going to break multiple 25+ yard runs against a starting UNI defense giving up less than 3 yards per carry is going to give up as many "explosive" run plays to a team averaging 3 YPC as they have all season?

Hmm...

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2014, 11:53 AM
You're trying to tell me that a run game that averages 3.1 YPC, less than 100 yards per game, is going to break multiple 25+ yard runs against a starting UNI defense giving up less than 3 yards per carry is going to give up as many "explosive" run plays to a team averaging 3 YPC as they have all season?

Hmm...

What I'm actually telling you is that if they dont at least respect the possibility of the run then when these do happen, the secondary will start cheating and then get burned.

last week all we heard about was Liberty's pass defense was the best that has ever put pads on and how YOU didnt think we would be able to move the ball but Perish went 39-51 with 340yds and YOU didnt think Liberty would have any problem putting points on the board but Liberty only put up 19 and 6 was from their last drive where the D was just trying to run the clock out and not give up a big play.

Each week after your prediction goes wrong, the team we played was not as good as everyone thought (excluding you) or there were team changing injuries.

Anytime you can stop the run with 4 players, its going to be hard to put points up. If that's UNI's plan, I'm interested to see the outcome.

clenz
September 29th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I said Liberty should be able to put up enough points to win...which they did, or were damn close.

Sycamore62
September 29th, 2014, 12:07 PM
this game is all about ISU's offense vs Liberty's defense.

ISU is terrible at running ball at 2.7 ypc.
Liberty's run defense gives up about 4.5 ypc.

Mike Perish, and ISU, throw for just a touch under 300 a game on the season
Liberty has given up just 107 per game through the air (133 taking the bravard game out, who only threw 5 passes.

One of those trends will win the game. Either ISU will find a run game, or Perish will be slowed a bit.

Sadly for the MVFC, I think it's Liberty's pass defense making more plays the ISU run game.

I dont think we found a run game and Perish broke a school record for passes completed and I dont know if preventing completions on 12 passes is making more plays than the run game.

citdog
September 29th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Nice win for the Trees.