PDA

View Full Version : FCS conference scholarship levels

JayJ79
September 21st, 2014, 03:43 PM
Which FCS conferences have conference-imposed scholarship limits that are lower than the 63 that the NCAA imposes for the FCS level?

I know that the Pioneer Football league doesn't allow any athletic scholarships for football, and I believe that the Ivy League has some rule against athletic scholarships (or had, at some point). Not sure what the status is on some of the other leagues.

does anyone have info on this matter?

DFW HOYA
September 21st, 2014, 03:49 PM
Which FCS conferences have conference-imposed scholarship limits that are lower than the 63 that the NCAA imposes for the FCS level?

Ivy: 0
Pioneer: 0
Northeast: 40
Patriot: 60 by 2016 (all except Georgetown)
All others: 63

JayJ79
September 21st, 2014, 04:05 PM
thanks. 60 seems kind of an odd limit. You'd think you'd either have something markedly, like the NEC, or just allow schools to do the NCAA max, instead of being 3 shy of it.

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2014, 04:50 PM
The NEC has a limit of 40 athletic scholarships. However, other equiv aid can be provide up the FCS limit.

This combo of aid is how Wagner has been a "bowl counter" and other NEC teams are also getting close to that mark.

dgtw
September 21st, 2014, 04:52 PM
Does Georgetown not offer any football scholarships?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sader87
September 21st, 2014, 04:55 PM
Does Georgetown not offer any football scholarships?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we go..... and we like 60 because it's a nice, round numbah.

superman7515
September 21st, 2014, 06:28 PM
The MEAC allows 63, but no MEAC school offers 63.

rokamortis
September 21st, 2014, 06:37 PM

Is there a website / database where we can find the number of scholarships or equivalencies for all FCS schools?

superman7515
September 21st, 2014, 07:13 PM
Not that I know of. I don't believe Delaware is offering a full 63 at this point: There were only 32 scholarship players suited up this spring, there were 22 recruits and Brock said they made up 1/3 of the scholarship players, since many incoming recruits don't receive full scholarships at this level it's quite possible that Delaware doesn't actually have the equivalent of 63 full scholarships on the roster.

blackbeard
September 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM
Not that I know of. I don't believe Delaware is offering a full 63 at this point: There were only 32 scholarship players suited up this spring, there were 22 recruits and Brock said they made up 1/3 of the scholarship players, since many incoming recruits don't receive full scholarships at this level it's quite possible that Delaware doesn't actually have the equivalent of 63 full scholarships on the roster.

Don't know of a site to see this information and don't think it is disclosed. From experience and observations I'm confident there are MANY schools that don't fund the full 63 limit.

aceinthehole
September 22nd, 2014, 07:52 AM
Don't know of a site to see this information and don't think it is disclosed. From experience and observations I'm confident there are MANY schools that don't fund the full 63 limit.

Exactly. I doubt all MEAC schools fund 63 schollys - they are likely closer to the 57 "bowl counter status"

superman7515
September 22nd, 2014, 08:04 AM
I know the MEAC has a 54 scholarship minimum rule. Mississippi Valley State was dropped by Mississippi State because MVSU was only giving the equivalent of 36 scholarships. Not sure if NC A&T is back up to speed, they were under NCAA sanctions and were down to 30 scholarships not that long ago, then up to 45, so I'm not sure where they are at.

DoubleH
September 22nd, 2014, 12:22 PM

Interesting, I didn't know that. Source?

superman7515
September 22nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
MEACFansZone.Proboards.com

No one hates the MEAC more than the MEAC, haha.

UAalum72
September 22nd, 2014, 03:16 PM
Duquesne's Game Notes say they are at 37 this year. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/duqu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/release/release_20140903aaa.pdf

I asked the NEC office once about how many scholarships each school was giving; they said they don't give out that information.

WestCoastAggie
September 22nd, 2014, 03:42 PM

In 2015, A&T will offer the full 63. Right now, we are at roughly 90%.

also, Murray State offers 63 or close to it.

WestCoastAggie
September 22nd, 2014, 03:43 PM
I know the MEAC has a 54 scholarship minimum rule. Mississippi Valley State was dropped by Mississippi State because MVSU was only giving the equivalent of 36 scholarships. Not sure if NC A&T is back up to speed, they were under NCAA sanctions and were down to 30 scholarships not that long ago, then up to 45, so I'm not sure where they are at.
We're below the min. I also don't know if that rule is really enforced, however.

Anovafan
September 22nd, 2014, 04:24 PM
Nova is always below the 63 number, playing with 58 and trying to make up the 5 with preferred walk-ons that qualify for financial aid or parents who can pay the full $60,000 with the promise of a scholarship if they earn it later on. It stinks.

superman7515
September 22nd, 2014, 06:22 PM
We're above the min. I also don't know if that rule is really enforced, however.

From what I understand of DelState and Savannah State, it's not enforced.

whoanellie
September 22nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
FCS Independent UNC-C is transitioning to Conference USA this season so We (Elon) spotted them 11 Scholly's
this past Saturday. Came out with 20-13 win fwiw.

PAllen
September 22nd, 2014, 08:19 PM

This is the key. Just because 63 are allowed, very few actually get to 63 every year. Most of the MEAC, SWAC, and I'm sure other conferences are well below 63. This is why basing a judgement on team or program strength on scholarship limits is stupid.

blackbeard
September 22nd, 2014, 10:23 PM
Nova is always below the 63 number, playing with 58 and trying to make up the 5 with preferred walk-ons that qualify for financial aid or parents who can pay the full $60,000 with the promise of a scholarship if they earn it later on. It stinks.

This is far more common than most fans realize, even many schools from the so called power conferences play every year with far less than the full 63.

WestCoastAggie
September 23rd, 2014, 06:41 AM
I know for certain that FCS teams break their scholarships in half and award partials to players or get their kids on Academic Schollys If they have the grades. Well that's what they do at A&T, at least.

MR. CHICKEN
September 23rd, 2014, 07:50 AM
19732.......ALL KINDS UH WAYS....TA PLAY DUH GAME.......NO SKOLLY'S = GRANT-IN-AID...(PELLS).......ACADEMIC AID......HOW DA YA'LL THINK...DUH PATRIOTS......FIELDED TEAMS......DAT COOD HANG WHIFF EVERAH-ONE ELSE......OTHERAH-WISE...DEY'D.....HAVE BEEN PLAYIN' WHITEWATER & DUH MOUNT...........xrulesx.....AWK!

DoubleH
September 23rd, 2014, 12:56 PM

Why? This is really surprising to me, hearing of top-tier teams like Delaware and Villanova playing with less than 63. There must be a reason.

DFW HOYA
September 23rd, 2014, 01:44 PM
ACADEMIC AID......HOW DA YA'LL THINK...DUH PATRIOTS......FIELDED TEAMS......DAT COOD HANG WHIFF EVERAH-ONE ELSE......

Colgate, Georgetown, and Holy Cross do not offer academic aid.

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2014, 01:49 PM
Ivy: 0
Pioneer: 0
Northeast: 40
Patriot: Maximum of 60 by 2016 (all except Georgetown)
All others: 63

Clarified it a bit.

Mattymc727
September 23rd, 2014, 01:58 PM
isn't it better to take away a few scholarships and spread them out to add depth to your roster?

Depth is key, perhaps adding 10 guys on partial scholarship is better than having 5 full time guys. Especially at this level, where the full scholarship player isnt all that much better than the partial guy. A lot of FCS schools have talented walk-on guys too, happens to UNH all the time (Andy Vailas).

A team could have a roster of 63 guys on full scholarship
A team could have a roster of 58 full scholarship and 10 partial scholarship, adding depth to a few key areas.

perhaps offering those partials to players that would be talented walk-ons at other schools too.

Anovafan
September 23rd, 2014, 02:00 PM
Why? This is really surprising to me, hearing of top-tier teams like Delaware and Villanova playing with less than 63. There must be a reason.

Money, money, money. Nova football is a financial loser for the school. Saving $300k on 5 scholarships and playing an FBS game every year for a $300-$500k payday is the only way to keep the program alive. For those who don't remember, Nova dropped then Division I football completely in 1980 for 4 years.

DoubleH
September 23rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
Money, money, money. Nova football is a financial loser for the school. Saving $300k on 5 scholarships and playing an FBS game every year for a $300-$500k payday is the only way to keep the program alive. For those who don't remember, Nova dropped then Division I football completely in 1980 for 4 years.

How does not using 5 scholarships save $300k? Not using 5 schollies and having 5 more football players paying tuition is not the same thing as having 5 who aren't because they're on scholarship. It doesn't "cost" the school the tuition they would be paying, and the 5 tuition-paying students could be any 5 students, not just football players.

There's a cost to housing/feeding/insuring the players, but those are group costs and I can't imagine it's anywhere near that figure.

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2014, 02:44 PM
60 seems kind of an odd limit. You'd think you'd either have something markedly, like the NEC, or just allow schools to do the NCAA max, instead of being 3 shy of it.

As a *former* Patriot League fan, I have a theory about the "60" limit. I would speculate that it was designed with two things in mind. First, it makes for a convenient way for members to phase in scholarships without debate or confusion - 15 scholarships per year, over four years. All else being the same, the additional three scholarships could be dealt with at a later time. Second, there may have been a notion at the time that the NCAA was going to pull back the FCS scholarship max from 63 to 60. Again, however, the additional 3 scholarships are trivial and could be dealt with once everyone was at 60.

It's my guess (and only a guess) based on everything I've read and heard, that the PL intends to be "full scholarship" once all the scholarships are fully implemented.

DFW (and others) correctly point out that the PL will allow a maximum of 60 scholarships once they are fully implemented. Individual members will be free to elect to go with fewer scholarships. Several schools likely will have fewer at any given time but all (except Georgetown) probably will want to have enough to be FBS counters. Georgetown is free to add scholarships but has chosen not to do so due to a combination of budgetary and philosophic reasons.

As it stand right now, PL schools have only a handful of scholarship players on their starting rosters.

JayJ79
September 24th, 2014, 12:00 AM
isn't it better to take away a few scholarships and spread them out to add depth to your roster?

Depth is key, perhaps adding 10 guys on partial scholarship is better than having 5 full time guys. Especially at this level, where the full scholarship player isnt all that much better than the partial guy. A lot of FCS schools have talented walk-on guys too, happens to UNH all the time (Andy Vailas).

A team could have a roster of 63 guys on full scholarship
A team could have a roster of 58 full scholarship and 10 partial scholarship, adding depth to a few key areas.

perhaps offering those partials to players that would be talented walk-ons at other schools too.

I'm fairly sure that just about any FCS team (that awards scholarships) utilizes partial schollys to some extent.

WestCoastAggie
September 24th, 2014, 07:58 AM
19732.......ALL KINDS UH WAYS....TA PLAY DUH GAME.......NO SKOLLY'S = GRANT-IN-AID...(PELLS).......ACADEMIC AID......HOW DA YA'LL THINK...DUH PATRIOTS......FIELDED TEAMS......DAT COOD HANG WHIFF EVERAH-ONE ELSE......OTHERAH-WISE...DEY'D.....HAVE BEEN PLAYIN' WHITEWATER & DUH MOUNT...........xrulesx.....AWK!

Yep. If you can recruit a kid that qualifies for an Academic Scholly, that definitely helps your budgetary needs as team and can help your APR levels also.

REALBird
September 24th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Pretty sure that most MVFC teams are funding 63 scholarships, even if some are broken up amongst athletes. The current Illinois State roster has 94 players and thanks in large part to Title IX, we have 3 more Women's sports to offset the scholarships. I do believe some of our other sports are also not providing the full allotment of scholarships. I believe our baseball team splits 13 scholarships amongst it's 25 athletes.

JayJ79
September 24th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I believe our baseball team splits 13 scholarships amongst it's 25 athletes.

Isn't the D-I limit for baseball set at 11.7?

Anovafan
September 25th, 2014, 12:58 PM
How does not using 5 scholarships save $300k? Not using 5 schollies and having 5 more football players paying tuition is not the same thing as having 5 who aren't because they're on scholarship. It doesn't "cost" the school the tuition they would be paying, and the 5 tuition-paying students could be any 5 students, not just football players.

There's a cost to housing/feeding/insuring the players, but those are group costs and I can't imagine it's anywhere near that figure.

I agree with what you are saying and make the same sort of argument but that is not how administrators see it. Every time tuition rises, athletic budgets increase as a result. The only way Nova has been able to contain the increasing loss from football is to not fund the 5 scholarships (5x$60k tuition = 300k savings in the budget) and play the FBS payday games. I just say admit 5 more paying students and fund the 5 football scholarships, but that doesn't fly and also has Title IX ramifications.