September 21st, 2014, 07:51 AM
And the League season finally begins.

GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE

Monmouth @ LEHIGH

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS

Cornell @ BUCKNELL

Wagner @ LAFAYETTE

GAME OF THE WEEK:

A toss up. Neither may be competitive, but three of these teams have something to prove.

Georgetown @ Colgate - Are the Hoyas for real? Are the 'gaters really better than expected?

Fordham @ Holy Cross - Are the 'saders on the edge of oblivion?

And, Bucknell @ Sacred Heart really was last week's game of the week!

CHIP72
September 21st, 2014, 08:05 AM
I'm not making any predictions, but I did want to mention that next week I'll be making a family visit to the Lehigh Valley and will be attending my now near-annual day-night doubleheader at Lehigh and Lafayette. I've been looking forward to it. Hopefully I see a pair of home team W's against schools located less than a couple hours to the east.

Skyhawk71
September 21st, 2014, 08:27 AM
Georgetown @ Colgate
Monmouth @ Lehigh
Fordham @ Holy Cross
Cornell @ Bucknell
Wagner @ Lafayette

carney2
September 21st, 2014, 09:22 AM
Georgetown @ Colgate
Monmouth @ Lehigh
Fordham @ Holy Cross
Cornell @ Bucknell
Wagner @ Lafayette

A sweep for the Patriot League! Well, kind of.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2014, 10:14 AM
Can Monmouth score? If so, might not be a Ho hum win for Fowl.

Lehigh'98
September 21st, 2014, 10:25 AM
Lehigh picked a fine year to have the worst defense in conference history. 150 will be a blowout and joke.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2014, 11:05 AM
Lehigh picked a fine year to have the worst defense in conference history. 150 will be a blowout and joke.

Blowout? No. Joke? Yes. Look at Game 100.

RichH2
September 21st, 2014, 11:43 AM
Blowout? No. Joke? Yes. Look at Game 100.

I was there on the sideline. Two bad teams true. Neither had an offense. Hence final score. Now both have high powered Os. Pards have a D while we do not.

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2014, 01:41 PM
Pic of me NOT CARING about the rest of the season:

http://media.torontolife.com/img/article_images/paper_bag_head.gif

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2014, 02:18 PM
Pic of me NOT CARING about the rest of the season:

http://media.torontolife.com/img/article_images/paper_bag_head.gif

You mean a 50-3 victory next weekend won't change your mind?

Lafayette will be halfway through it's home schedule next weekend... stupid AD.

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2014, 03:39 PM
You mean a 50-3 victory next weekend won't change your mind?

We'll lose by 10. Bruce has to go. And I'm sorry, Frank has to go as well.

DFW HOYA
September 21st, 2014, 03:51 PM
We'll lose by 10. Bruce has to go. And I'm sorry, Frank has to go as well.

No need to jump ship so early. Lafayette is arguably the second or third best team in the PL (Bucknell remains suspect), you've got scholarships, and, well, it's still better than where Lehigh is now.

Fordham
September 21st, 2014, 03:54 PM
I expect a dogfight this weekend and I also am fully on board with Bucknell.

at this point in time we are a very pedestrian squad, capable of getting beat pretty much every week from here on out IMO.

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2014, 04:26 PM
No need to jump ship so early.

Wait 'till Hoya beats us in Easton in a couple of weeks. Just wait. Clades Frankosaurum. xsmhx

Sader87
September 21st, 2014, 04:42 PM
The Patriot League: Where nearly everyone hates their team!!! Come join the fun!!!!

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2014, 05:18 PM
The Patriot League: Where nearly everyone hates their team!!! Come join the fun!!!!

I am beyond incensed with Lafayette's loss to W&M - a game the ever-humble Maroon Piņata had in hand but opted instead to use to reaffirm the more recent Lafayette adage, "there's always time to lose."

We used to be the "Can-Do School;" the "Little College that Could;" the "Giant Killers;" the "Overachievers;" but no longer. There was a time when Lafayette could take on Yale at the Bowl and win; when we could knock down Penn in the midst of its undefeated season; when we could stare down the Mighty Crimson; when we could prevent Columbia from recording even a single victory at Fisher Field. Those things were essential to the gestalt of our tiny little college; one that was able to prove, over and over and over again, during the course of a century and a half, that it could "belong."

But no longer after the W&M loss. I'm ashamed beyond imagination. I love my school but we've jumped the shark . . . and we broke the distance record to boot.

I spent a year (after Lafayette) earning a degree at Woodrow Wilson and during that time I never even thought about Princeton football, let alone attend a single Princeton game (I went to Lafayette games instead). But from now through the end of this season I'm going to be a Princeton fan. At least the Tigers trying. xsmileyclapx

Lafayette Sux.

BucBisonAtLarge
September 21st, 2014, 05:29 PM
GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE

Monmouth @ LEHIGH

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS

Cornell @ BUCKNELL

Wagner @ LAFAYETTE

​4-2 last week, 19-4 on the season.

RichH2
September 21st, 2014, 05:38 PM
:) So much angst.

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2014, 05:56 PM
Wagner 56, Lafayette 0.

I'd give us a field goal or three, but we'll have no kicker again this weekend - he was "suspended."

bison137
September 21st, 2014, 06:07 PM
Colgate
Lehigh
Fordham
Bucknell - but a close game, injuries could be a factor
Lafayette

5-2 last week, 21-3 overall

Ghost
September 21st, 2014, 06:38 PM
Georgetown @ Colgate
Monmouth @ Lehigh
Fordham @ Holy Cross
Cornell @ Bucknell
Wagner @ Lafayette

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2014, 06:57 PM
Colgate
Lehigh
Fordham
Bucknell
Lafayette

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2014, 07:19 PM
Wagner 56, Lafayette 0.

I'd give us a field goal or three, but we'll have no kicker again this weekend - he was "suspended."

We can beat the patsies and cupcakes (most times) but we can't play up and we don't do little things right. That was supposed to have been solved last year, but we seemingly forgot how to play football at times. WM is a good team... remember Frankosaurus is a lumberig dinosaur... he can't adjust on the fly.

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2014, 07:27 PM
We can beat the patsies and cupcakes (most times) but we can't play up.

For a century and a half we most certainly could "play up." But no longer. So . . .

. . . go Princeton. xreadx

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2014, 07:35 PM
Why is your bag brown? That should be a maroon bag!

Sader87
September 21st, 2014, 07:39 PM
For a century and a half we most certainly could "play up." But no longer. So . . .

. . . go Princeton. xreadx

Ummm....Princeton just lost to San Diego and is playing Davidson Saturday. What was that about "playing up?"

Lehigh Football Nation
September 21st, 2014, 07:58 PM

This.

bonarae
September 21st, 2014, 08:18 PM
Georgetown @ Colgate
Monmouth @ Lehigh
Fordham @ Holy Cross
Cornell @ Bucknell
Wagner @ Lafayette

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2014, 09:19 PM

It's very badly faded . . . just like the once-noble legacy of the Lafayette Leopards. Plus I wore the proper necktie.

Go Princeton.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2014, 09:24 PM
It's very badly faded . . . just like the once-noble legacy of the Lafayette Leopards. Plus I wore the proper necktie.

Go Princeton.

You've got that right... we've sucked since 1955, aside from 1968 and the 80s, early 90s under Russo, and the mid-2000s.

The Patriot League gutted Lafayette Athletics... now I sound like Sader over here..

Sader87
September 21st, 2014, 09:24 PM
We are a bizarre lot....I like what I've seen of Lafayette so fah. Bad 2nd H yesterday, but that's hardly a bad loss. Schuemann (sp?) is the best RB in the league imo, Reed is solid, the D looks decent etc. etc

Holy Cross (and other PL teams) have a lot more holes imo than Lafayette does now.

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2014, 09:27 PM
We are a bizarre lot....I like what I've seen of Lafayette so fah. Bad 2nd H yesterday, but that's hardly a bad loss. Schuemann (sp?) is the best RB in the league imo, Reed is solid, the D looks decent etc. etc

Holy Cross (and other PL teams) have a lot more holes imo than Lafayette does now.

You don't get us Sader. We are tired of the same story. We want to win 10+ games for a change.

Sader87
September 21st, 2014, 09:35 PM
You don't get us Sader. We are tired of the same story. We want to win 10+ games for a change.

We did that in the 80s and early 90s....gets boring after awhile xrotatehx

Pard4Life
September 21st, 2014, 09:51 PM

Losing games like we do gets boring after awhile. We have not won 10+ games since the McKinley Administration.

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2014, 09:57 PM
Losing games like we do gets boring after awhile. We have not won 10+ games since the McKinley Administration.

McKinley was the man.

And I can't come up with a family-friendly "suck" avatar to save my life.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2014, 10:02 PM

Or 9 games since the FDR administration....

Last 10 win season...
Fordham 2013
Lehigh 2012
Colgate 2003
Bucknell 1997
Holy Cross 1991
Lafayette 1899
Georgetown Never

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2014, 10:05 PM

Holy Cross had 2 straight and 4 in 6 years. Lehigh did four straight, '98-'01....But none of those Lehigh teams come close to HC's 1987 squad.....

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2014, 10:10 PM
Or 9 games since the FDR administration....

Unjustified Lehigh schadenfreude will incite even the most downtrodden of Leopards, you know . . . .

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2014, 10:16 PM
Unjustified Lehigh schadenfreude will incite even the most downtrodden of Leopards, you know . . . .

I misspoken, I forgot about Russo's '81 team. Despite winning only 8 games I'd argue that LC's '88 team is among the best in PL history....

"Mighty" Temple did manage 10 wins during the peanut farmers tenure. It is amazing that Temple has 2 9 win seasons since 2009 while Lafayette has two since 1940. LC's run of just average records is perplexing...

I honestly thought Georgetown had the most....

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2014, 12:24 AM
I misspoken, I forgot about Russo's '81 team. Despite winning only 8 games I'd argue that LC's '88 team is among the best in PL history....

"Mighty" Temple did manage 10 wins during the peanut farmers tenure. It is amazing that Temple has 2 9 win seasons since 2009 while Lafayette has two since 1940. LC's run of just average records is perplexing...

Agree wholeheartedly. That was a great club.

jimbo65
September 22nd, 2014, 06:01 AM
Colgate
Lehigh
Fordham
Bucknell
LaFayette

van
September 22nd, 2014, 06:40 AM
I am beyond incensed with Lafayette's loss to W&M - a game the ever-humble Maroon Piņata had in hand but opted instead to use to reaffirm the more recent Lafayette adage, "there's always time to lose."

We used to be the "Can-Do School;" the "Little College that Could;" the "Giant Killers;" the "Overachievers;" but no longer. There was a time when Lafayette could take on Yale at the Bowl and win; when we could knock down Penn in the midst of its undefeated season; when we could stare down the Mighty Crimson; when we could prevent Columbia from recording even a single victory at Fisher Field. Those things were essential to the gestalt of our tiny little college; one that was able to prove, over and over and over again, during the course of a century and a half, that it could "belong."

But no longer after the W&M loss. I'm ashamed beyond imagination. I love my school but we've jumped the shark . . . and we broke the distance record to boot.

I spent a year (after Lafayette) earning a degree at Woodrow Wilson and during that time I never even thought about Princeton football, let alone attend a single Princeton game (I went to Lafayette games instead). But from now through the end of this season I'm going to be a Princeton fan. At least the Tigers trying. xsmileyclapx

Lafayette Sux.

No sharp objects for Bogie please.

Pard4Life
September 22nd, 2014, 07:33 AM

Keep in mind Temple plays more games. I guess teams really have not had an opportunity to win 10+ games since the schedules grew in the late 70s. We came close in the 80s, we faced indifference in the 90s, and we've been dealing with Ivy curses and Tavani since the mid 2000s. We should won 10 games in 2005, 2009 and dare I say 2008. But that's that...

Gangtackle11
September 22nd, 2014, 07:51 AM
GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE 38-3

24-21 Monmouth @ LEHIGH

42-14 FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS

Cornell @ BUCKNELL 27-21

Wagner @ LAFAYETTE 23-14

RichH2
September 22nd, 2014, 09:02 AM
With the numerous injuries on Sat, appears LU will be due for some major shuffling on 2 deep. Not necessarily a bad thing given our start this year.:) Hopefully not all of them are serious. Rugg and Short dont look good.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 22nd, 2014, 09:02 AM
The Lehigh injury situation appears to be pretty serious. When it rains it pours....:(

This years Lehigh season seems to be headed down a similar road as Colgate's 2013 mess. A terrible defense compounded by a rash of injuries.....

RichH2
September 22nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Bassetts
80-90
LC-Wagner. 35-17.5
70-80
LU-MU. 38.5-28
60-70
FU- HC. 35-28
BU-Cor. 28-28
50-60
Gate-GU. 24.5-21
Massey
FU-HC. 34-27
Gate-GU. 23-14
BU-Cor. 34-17
LU-MU. 34-31
LC-Wag. 28-14

Pard4Life
September 22nd, 2014, 11:04 AM
The Lehigh injury situation appears to be pretty serious. When it rains it pours....:(

This years Lehigh season seems to be headed down a similar road as Colgate's 2013 mess. A terrible defense compounded by a rash of injuries.....

Now you also know what we've dealt with from 2011-2013. Knock on wood... we are ok so far, and we should get our RG back.

LBPop
September 22nd, 2014, 01:05 PM
I had a few minutes to read through this thread and despite its Pennsylvania theme, I thought I would throw in a Hoya comment. I attended the Georgetown game on Saturday. I also had the pleasure of speaking with one of the most knowledgeable FCS people on the planet - DFW. He had a nametag on and I should have realized immediately who he was, but candidly I had forgotten that he had a real name.

It was my first game in about two years and I figure that makes me an expert. :D But I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at how they played Brown. Of course I have no idea how good Brown may be and I know it was their first game while the Hoyas had already played two. But I saw some very positive signs despite the fact that other than financial aid, nobody on the field was getting any help with paying for their Georgetown education. Simply put, Georgetown handled them. Each team turned it over once while deep in the opponent's territory, so the score was pretty indicative of the game. I saw running backs with speed and quickness, but more importantly I saw running backs who finished the run. They were always falling forward for an extra yard or two and that adds up. I also saw a QB who throws a nice pass that usually doesn't stay in the air too long. Plus there were some receivers (one in particular) who had a knack of separating from the DBs and using his body to shield them from the ball.

Of course, these young men could get hammered up in Hamilton this week. But I must say that having a coach who loves the school and is not coaching for the "next job" seems to have made a big difference. I can tell you first hand that the players who were lucky enough to play when Coach Sgarlata was an assistant, simply love the guy. The vibe is a good one at Georgetown and I hope the scholarship imbalance doesn't make it impossible for them to compete going forward.

PAllen
September 22nd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Colgate - The Red Raiders are good, not great. The Hoyas? Not good.
Lehigh - If the Engineers end the weekend at 0-4, it's truly time to start practicing for 150 as that'll be the only remaining game that matters.
Fordham - The Rams don't look as good as last year, but they do look like they are as good as it gets in the PL
Bucknell - The Bison have cemented themselves as the other team to watch in the PL
Wagner - Lafayette should win this game, but my gut says Frankasaurus goes on a rampage and the Leopards lose this one, or that could be all of those pistachios i just ate.

PAllen
September 22nd, 2014, 01:54 PM

Tiger stripes?

Sader87
September 22nd, 2014, 02:38 PM
We are living during very strange times in the PL. GTown followers are ecstatic whilst the L's fans are near suicidal. I still really don't get the Pard self-hatred by some here. They basically beat themselves in their openah at SHU and totally outplayed a Top 15 team on the road for a good portion of the game. They are a lot bettah than Bogey and others would have you believe.

PAllen
September 22nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
We are living during very strange times in the PL. GTown followers are ecstatic whilst the L's fans are near suicidal. I still really don't get the Pard self-hatred by some here. They basically beat themselves in their openah at SHU and totally outplayed a Top 15 team on the road for a good portion of the game. They are a lot bettah than Bogey and others would have you believe.

I'm not suicidal, just glad I picked this past weekend to take my daughter on her first real camping trip. The weather was great, there was no one around, and I didn't think once about a Lehigh game that I'm glad I missed. :)

Pard4Life
September 22nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
I'm not suicidal, just glad I picked this past weekend to take my daughter on her first real camping trip. The weather was great, there was no one around, and I didn't think once about a Lehigh game that I'm glad I missed. :)

Are you sure you weren't at the Georgetown game instead?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2014, 05:47 PM
Part of the problem with Lehigh fans' lack on enthusiasm right now is that we are not sure if any of the eight injured players, at least four with knee injuries, from last weekend are gone for the year.

carney2
September 22nd, 2014, 07:27 PM
So, Bogie, why did you choose this moment to turn in your Pard card? There were many better opportunities over the past 4 years. This year, on the other hand, could turn out reasonably well.

Pard4Life
September 22nd, 2014, 07:30 PM
So, Bogie, why did you choose this moment to turn in your Pard card? There were many better opportunities over the past 4 years. This year, on the other hand, could turn out reasonably well.

Yeah, I'm starting to come around too... disappointed we flubbed against a power team... save that for next year I guess...

PAllen
September 22nd, 2014, 08:26 PM
Part of the problem with Lehigh fans' lack on enthusiasm right now is that we are not sure if any of the eight injured players, at least four with knee injuries, from last weekend are gone for the year.

Actually, other than Yosha who's shown some serious promise, I'm not concerned at all about the injuries. You could replace the defense with a random selection of male students from around campus and they wouldn't be much worse. This team has shown no heart and just isn't good enough to win games. It's like 2002/2003 without the skill to pull off the wins. Until they start playing as a team that cares, it'll get harder and harder to care as a fan.

PAllen
September 22nd, 2014, 08:28 PM
Are you sure you weren't at the Georgetown game instead?

Nah, when we left Saturday morning, we were headed out of town with everyone else who hadn't left the night before. No one was headed the other direction. That's how you know you're not going to a football game at Georgetown.

TheValleyRaider
September 22nd, 2014, 09:44 PM
Only 3-3 last week, 16-7 for the season. Let's keep it brief, that seemed to work a few weeks ago

Georgetown at Colgate Colgate Still not quite sure how good Colgate is, becoming less sure how good Georgetown is. Still think Colgate wins easily, though I'm wondering about the Raider pass game that doesn't go downfield much.

Monmouth at Lehigh Lehigh I can't say I'm terribly surprised to see Lehigh with a losing record at this stage, though the Yale loss was a bit unexpected. Still, these Hawks are usually good at home, and right the ship, at least for now.

Fordham at Holy Cross Fordham If Nebrich is healthy, I see no reason not to pick against the Rams in most of their PL contests. If the Crusaders can keep this one closer than they did against Harvard, does that say more about them, or Fordham?

Cornell at Bucknell Bucknell I am all but a believer in the Bison as a contender, though that may be force of habit. Regardless of their PL season to come, no reason they should not handle a Cornell team that does not look very threatening.

Wagner at Lafayette Lafayette If I've learned one thing over the last 7+ years of picking, it's that I should never, ever, trust that I know what Lafayette will do. Beat a competitive NEC side a week after a brutal loss to a Top-15 CAA team? Sure, why not

Bill
September 22nd, 2014, 10:14 PM
Valley raider...how did you only go 3-3 last week? Did you miss a game?

Anyhow, I went a very pedestrian 4-3 last week, now sit at 17-7 for the year. On to the games:

GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE - Friendly confines of Andy Kerr and trip to the "Jug" (if it's still there:) equals a win for the Red Raiders of the Chenango, 37-10

Monmouth @ LEHIGH - do I pull a Bogie and abandon ship? No! Lehigh, 77-60.

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS - Battle of the Jesuits won without capital punishment by the Rams, 24-21.

Cornell @ BUCKNELL - Bucknell...again? really? Yes, Bucknell, 32-20.

Wagner @ LAFAYETTE - The Marquis finds a way to win at home, and Bogie inches closer to being back on the wagon..err, I mean bandwagon. Lafayette, 7-4. Tavani finds a way to give up two safeties...

RichH2
September 23rd, 2014, 09:24 AM
LU update. Starting OC ,Short out for the year,knee surgery.

Sader87
September 23rd, 2014, 10:45 AM
HC and Yale just inked a 12 game contract:

http://goholycross.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/20140923p6egad

Lehigh'98
September 23rd, 2014, 12:03 PM
LU update. Starting OC ,Short out for the year,knee surgery.

Heard Lehigh has 2 starting OL done for yr w ACL. Also Yosha having meniscus surgery Friday. Not seeing many winnable games on schedule this yr.

Fordham
September 23rd, 2014, 12:53 PM
HC - Fordham will be a battle imo.

If we somehow win convincingly I believe it's the beginning of the end for Gilmore.

RichH2
September 23rd, 2014, 12:57 PM
Heard Lehigh has 2 starting OL done for yr w ACL. Also Yosha having meniscus surgery Friday. Not seeing many winnable games on schedule this yr.

Short is on Fri. Yosha??? He's listed on 2 deepforMU.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2014, 01:04 PM
Hoyas will give Colgate a game, but not enough. Raiders, 24-17

Rams will air it out on the 'saders in a high scoring affair, 42-31

'nell continues to impress by taking Big Red at home, 24-14.

Laughyette gets to smile, 30-24.

New look Lehigh begins its youth movement due to injuries and guts out a win, 35-31.

bulldog10jw
September 23rd, 2014, 01:35 PM

Sorry, Sader. I started a thread before I saw this.

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2014, 02:58 PM

As a former fan of Laf***tte, I have chosen to abstain voluntarily from posting on the PL Pick 'em thread. That would be hijacking. This edict is in effect at least through Tuesday afternoon, if not later. xsmhx

|
|
|
\/
\/
\/
\/

Sader87
September 23rd, 2014, 03:08 PM
Sorry, Sader. I started a thread before I saw this.

No worries.....this will be a good series imo. Glad to see it back on the schedule. xnodx

bulldog10jw
September 23rd, 2014, 04:14 PM
No worries.....this will be a good series imo. Glad to see it back on the schedule. xnodx

I agree. Looking forward to it. My only trip to Fitton was in 1981. I'm looking forward to getting back there for this series.

heath
September 23rd, 2014, 05:37 PM
Actually, other than Yosha who's shown some serious promise, I'm not concerned at all about the injuries. You could replace the defense with a random selection of male students from around campus and they wouldn't be much worse. This team has shown no heart and just isn't good enough to win games. It's like 2002/2003 without the skill to pull off the wins. Until they start playing as a team that cares, it'll get harder and harder to care as a fan.
Totally disagree about replacing the players on D with random male students, but think you could replace D coaches with random males from the south side, pick any sports bar and fare much better. Agree we need to play as a team, but who really dictates that?

RichH2
September 23rd, 2014, 05:40 PM
Rugg,Short out for the year,knees. Yosha out 4-5 weeks also knee. OL has lost 3 starters already.They were best unit on team. Hopefully, Sawyer can get next men up to work as well.

TheValleyRaider
September 23rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
Valley raider...how did you only go 3-3 last week? Did you miss a game?

4-3, just miscounted. I was a history major, I don't do math... ;)

Lehigh'98
September 23rd, 2014, 06:23 PM
Rugg,Short out for the year,knees. Yosha out 4-5 weeks also knee. OL has lost 3 starters already.They were best unit on team. Hopefully, Sawyer can get next men up to work as well.

Time to get some of these Fr "scholarship" players some game action. We aren't going anywhere this year anyway. Will be good experience...the coaching staff will have a very challenging offseason recruiting and pulling the team together.

Pard4Life
September 23rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
No worries.

Heading into 150: Lafayette 7-3, Lehigh 2-8...

Lehigh will win the game. You know it.

I'm so sure that I'll bet you... $150...

RichH2
September 23rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
Time to get some of these Fr "scholarship" players some game action. We aren't going anywhere this year anyway. Will be good experience...the coaching staff will have a very challenging offseason recruiting and pulling the team together.
Smith physically ready to play. Would live to see him get real PT at G. Having endured many seasons lke this, I go for the Small approach. Lots of shootouts,AirLehigh at full throttle. If we cant win a lot lets lead the Nation in pts scored. :)

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2014, 06:48 PM
I'm so sure that I'll bet you... $150...

I'll take that #150 and raise you a Buck-O-Five.

http://i58.tinypic.com/9llwzl.jpg

Lehigh'98
September 23rd, 2014, 06:53 PM
Hmmm, being that Lehigh has a potentially historically bad defense, in the history of the PL, what have been the worst teams you can remember since say 1990?? I know Bucknell had some bad ones, but can't remember what year.

RichH2
September 23rd, 2014, 07:17 PM
Fordham was the worst I had seen in PL ,well before this year,smh

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2014, 07:26 PM
Hmmm, being that Lehigh has a potentially historically bad defense, in the history of the PL, what have been the worst teams you can remember since say 1990?? I know Bucknell had some bad ones, but can't remember what year.

Winless teams..
2009 Georgetown
1999 Fordham
1995 Colgate
1994 Fordham

Looking at the numbers, 2008 Georgetown could be the worst. They went 2-8 with wins over Marist and Howard. The Hoya's scored 96 points for the entire season while giving up 280 in a 10 game season. 1999 Fordham and 1995 Colgate were pretty dreadful too

2003 Holy Cross might have had the worst defense. They gave 478 points for the year en route to a 1-11 season....

Lehigh'98
September 23rd, 2014, 07:43 PM
Winless teams..
2009 Georgetown
1999 Fordham
1995 Colgate
1994 Fordham

Looking at the numbers, 2008 Georgetown could be the worst. They went 2-8 with wins over Marist and Howard. The Hoya's scored 96 points for the entire season while giving up 280 in a 10 game season. 1999 Fordham and 1995 Colgate were pretty dreadful too

2003 Holy Cross might have had the worst defense. They gave 478 points for the year en route to a 1-11 season....

That Cross PPgame avg is about 40 if my math works. We can challenge that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2014, 07:50 PM
That Cross PPgame avg is about 40 if my math works. We can challenge that.

Yikes! Hopefully not but it does seem plausible. I'm pretty sure undefeated Colgate needed a furious late game comeback to beat HC that year in the season finale. I remember the PA announcer at Goodman giving continuous updates of that game during LU-LC...

Gater
September 23rd, 2014, 08:42 PM
Colgate was down a TD in the fourth. Scored two to win by seven.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=233260107

The first game was the real scare. Flea flicker with 5.6 left to beat Georgetown by one.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=232490046

Sader87
September 23rd, 2014, 09:00 PM
Holy Cross football from about 1993 to 2005 existed only in a metaphysical sense.....it was there but it really wasn't.

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
1995 Colgate was a grim character-builder.

I have always had a lot of respect for the kids on that squad, who fought hard all season.

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2014, 09:30 PM
RichH2 - can you clear your inbox?

Pard4Life
September 23rd, 2014, 09:30 PM
Gotta say the same about 2000 and especially 2001 Lafayette. The 2000 team lost by two to heavily favored and ranked Lehigh. Pards were decimated thanks to Rothkopf, Larry Ramer and company..,

The 2001 came within a hair of beating Gate, Towson, Fordham, Bucknell. You could see the potential there. And we had Glavic. We did not have a lot of talent and depth, but man, those teams fought like hell! That was when Tavani could motivate and coach... oh wait, his assistants coached...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2014, 09:42 PM
Gotta say the same about 2000 and especially 2001 Lafayette. The 2000 team lost by two to heavily favored and ranked Lehigh. Pards were decimated thanks to Rothkopf, Larry Ramer and company..,

The 2001 came within a hair of beating Gate, Towson, Fordham, Bucknell. You could see the potential there. And we had Glavic. We did not have a lot of talent and depth, but man, those teams fought like hell! That was when Tavani could motivate and coach... oh wait, his assistants coached...

That was the '99 team in Russo's final game. Matt Salveterra took over the 2000 game at Fisher. Outside of Yarborough, Lafayette had very little those years.....

Bogus Megapardus
September 23rd, 2014, 09:45 PM
Lafayette had very little

And just who are you calling "little?"

Don't make me give up my passive-aggressive protest, now . . . xcoffeex

HoyaMetanoia
September 23rd, 2014, 10:32 PM
Winless teams..
2009 Georgetown
1999 Fordham
1995 Colgate
1994 Fordham

That 2008 Georgetown-Howard game was an ultimate slapfight.

PAllen
September 23rd, 2014, 10:57 PM
Winless teams..
2009 Georgetown
1999 Fordham
1995 Colgate
1994 Fordham

Pffft. We can beat that! Common guys, let's do it!

ColgateTD
September 24th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Lehigh
Fordham
Cornell
Lafayette
Colgate - this could be a trap game after win over Cornell; can't become too complacent with the Hoyas.

Bogus Megapardus
September 24th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Given my continuing protest I no longer can post this, but here's the . . .

WEEK 5 PATRIOT LEAGUE SPORTSBOOK

(just in case somebody else wants to copy it and post it here instead).

Colgate (- 9) vs. Georgetown

Lehigh (-3) vs. Monmouth

Fordham (-9) at Holy Cross

Bucknell (-14) vs. Cornell

Laf***tte (-13) vs. Wagner

Pards Rule
September 24th, 2014, 09:50 AM

As unofficial historian of the Pards P4L that 2 point game was in 1999 - Russo's final at Lafayette. Also I may point out that this week's game vs Wagner is the first time these two teams have met since Nov. 10, 1979 (Pard win 21-3) with none other than Bill Russo at the HC helm for the Seahawks and a mere four days after I saw Lafayette on a college tour and knew that was the place and applied (kind of very rare back then) for early decision and was accepted. Family also looked at Lehigh that Nov. 6th and it was a gray day with gray buildings and walks uphill...The next day we are at Colgate and a solid 4 inches of snow the evening we arrived as well as in Clinton NY looking at Hamilton (my 2nd choice but a D3) and recall having to warm up in the chapel at Hamilton College as it was blustery and snowing. I'm like "good grief - what is upstate like in February!".

RichH2
September 24th, 2014, 10:32 AM
17-7 so far.
Gate a contest but not for long
Fordham go with the over
BU. Suny Ithaca not very good
Lehigh. Pure homer call. Lost 3 OL,1 RB,1 ILB. Shafniskey has to win it for us.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2014, 10:50 AM
This is a good benchmark game for Lehigh. Double-header too with the Pards.

RichH2
September 24th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Going to try to stop by and see some of Wagner game on the way home.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2014, 12:58 PM

Not sure it's a benchmark game given the injuries. I think it's a "pray they win otherwise it could be a historically bad season" game....

carney2
September 24th, 2014, 01:25 PM
GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE - A riddle vs. an enigma. Someone needs to show up. Betting on the home team.

Monmouth @ LEHIGH - Should be a cupcake, but with all the injured Squawks and the make believe defense, I am not writing this one in ink.

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS - Not as advertised, but the Rams still appear to be the class of the League. As for the Cross, it's gonna be a season long roller coaster ride.

Cornell @ BUCKNELL - The Buffaloes are back to playing nobodies. Next opponent worth mentioning: 10/11 @ Lehigh.

Wagner @ LAFAYETTE - Cupcake, but if anyone can choke on it,...

carney2
September 24th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Here's where we stand after 4 weeks:

Known Quantities

Bucknell - Better than expected. How much better is still up for grabs.

Fordham - Not the 2013 team, but still the best in the League.

Lafayette - Searching for an offense, but the defense has them firmly in the race.

Lehigh - The Swarthmore JVs could score on these guys and Swarthmore doesn't even have a football program. Stir in the injuries for a dismal Squawk season.

Still Unknown

Colgate - Moral victories do not a season make. So sayeth Bogie. Still no proof that they are for real.

Georgetown - Two wins! Whodathunk. Most doubt there is much more in the tank.

Holy Cross - Some good. Mostly bad. One never knows which purple gang will show up.

Sader87
September 24th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I still feel it's very muddled 4 weeks in, particularly after Fordham.

Fordham: admittedly, I've only seen them against Nova this year. Still too talented, on offense particularly, to not be considered the top dawg in the PL this year.

Lafayette: I think they are the most balanced of the remaining PL 11's.

Bucknell: Still not a belivah....I'm stubborn. I think they are solid defensively but not great either. Offense is sort of pedestrian.

Holy Cross: I'd say a little more bad than good rather than "some good, mostly bad." Offense hasn't really got on track yet though it has shown potential. Defense has been bettah than expected but has had some big breakdowns in games.

Colgate: I think they are probably the team in the PL "bettah than expected" so fah....if that makes sense. Melville is a good QB...I liked what i saw of them in the Delaware and Cornell games. Not a great or maybe even good team....but I think they'll be a tough out for most PL teams.

Lehigh: I don't think they are as bad as many believe....have really played 3 solid teams, 2 on the road. I only saw a bit of the JMU game but i think they are still an average or so team....not bad, but not good either.

GTown: Probably a little bit bettah than expected but still a team I think most people would still place in the cellar of the PL.

crusader11
September 24th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Holy Cross - Some good. Mostly bad. One never knows which purple gang will show up.

I'm not sure about this, C2. I think HC is improved over last season, especially on the defensive end. The 41-18 loss to Harvard wasn't nearly as lopsided as the score indicates. The defense played well for 2.5 quarters, and two turnovers by the HC offense set Harvard up for a couple of easy scores. It was 18-14, and then in the blink of an eye it was 27-18. Talk to your friend, Bogey -- assuming he is still has any clout as a 'Pard, considering his recent abhorrence for Lafayette athletics -- who will tell you that HC played a better game than a 23 point defeat indicates. I know, I'm probably grasping for straws here, but I don't feel too bad about where HC is right now.

I suspect HC will go toe-to-toe with Fordham for 3.5 quarters on Saturday, only to see Fordham win it at the end.

Sader87
September 24th, 2014, 02:08 PM
The HC-Harvard and Laffy-W&M games were near carbon copies (ask your older friends/family what those are) of one another. I felt I was watching the same game on my computah that I went to a night earlier.

Bill
September 24th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I considering his recent abhorrence for Lafayette athletics -

Well done, crusader. I love the fact that we can use big words in the PL threads! :D

Pards Rule
September 24th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Well done, crusader. I love the fact that we can use big words in the PL threads! :D

YES! Used by my Lafayette Economics professor Gene Gendel to confront a student in class reading other material! Exact quote from 1981: "Am I an abhorrence to you?"

bison137
September 24th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Cornell @ BUCKNELL - The Buffaloes are back to playing nobodies. Next opponent worth mentioning: 10/11 @ Lehigh.

Next week's opponent, Bryant - who they play in R.I. - was a top 25 team as recently as five days ago. Wins over Stony Brook and Maine aren't shabby.

PAllen
September 24th, 2014, 02:56 PM
YES! Used by my Lafayette Economics professor Gene Gendel to confront a student in class reading other material! Exact quote from 1981: "Am I an abhorrence to you?"

No, but I often find you boring, and now quite pretentious.

BTW, abhorrence isn't a big word. I'm an engineer by training, and I use abhor all the time, so it can't be that sophisticated of a word.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2014, 06:28 PM

Watch your knees.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2014, 06:41 PM
The defense played well for 2.5 quarters, and two turnovers by the HC offense set Harvard up for a couple of easy scores. It was 18-14, and then in the blink of an eye it was 27-18.

The phrase I would use is "losing is in their heads".

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2014, 06:44 PM
PL Power rankings:

1) Fordham
2) Bucknell
3) Holy Cross
4) Lafayette
5) Colgate
6) Lehigh
7) Georgetown

Bill
September 24th, 2014, 10:12 PM

BTW, abhorrence isn't a big word. I'm an engineer by training, and I use abhor all the time, so it can't be that sophisticated of a word.

Boo!

I'm around football players all the time...and to most of them it is a big word!xnodx

PAllen
September 25th, 2014, 08:34 AM

Note: The boring and pretentious comment was fictitiously directed at the prof, not PR. If there is one thing I find the PL folks on this board, it is certainly not boring.

carney2
September 25th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Next week's opponent, Bryant - who they play in R.I. - was a top 25 team as recently as five days ago. Wins over Stony Brook and Maine aren't shabby.

I stand corrected. Bryant has a bye this week and extra time to prepare for Bucky.

van
September 25th, 2014, 11:23 AM
18-6 so far

GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE, going with home team with little conviction

Monmouth @ LEHIGH, homer pick only, our D can't stop anyone

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS, crossers out manned

Cornell @ BUCKNELL, Buffs seem to have found some O and their D is solid

Wagner @ LAFAYETTE, only because Bogie is down in the mouth

crusader11
September 25th, 2014, 04:55 PM
PL Power rankings:

1) Fordham
2) Bucknell
3) Holy Cross
4) Lafayette
5) Colgate
6) Lehigh
7) Georgetown

I'd give Lafayette and Colgate a slight edge over Holy Cross right now.

Sandlapper Spike
September 25th, 2014, 05:07 PM
GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE

Monmouth @ LEHIGH

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS

Cornell @ BUCKNELL

Wagner @ LAFAYETTE

jayhawkdaddy
September 25th, 2014, 05:13 PM
COLGATE

LEHIGH

FORDHAM

BUCKNELL

LAFAYETTE

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Given the general regard that AGS posters seem to have for Laf***tte in the upcoming game vs. Wagner, perhaps I will join the fray and at least make some picks for this week. A loss Saturday evening will forever confirm my tigres proditorium, however - even if I'm predicting that the Pitiable Pards will choose to lose.

NB: Did you know that Princeton (coming off a 39-29 loss at San Diego) is a Sportsbook favorite over Davidson by 49 points? xcoffeex

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Take the over on Princeton.

bulldog10jw
September 25th, 2014, 07:49 PM
NB: Did you know that Princeton (coming off a 39-29 loss at San Diego) is a Sportsbook favorite over Davidson by 49 points? xcoffeex

Is Davidson Division IV ?

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2014, 07:56 PM

No respect for Davidson's strength of schedule, I suppose. College of Faith (Davidson's redoubtable opening opponent) has been outscored 172-0 this season.

Bogus Megapardus
September 25th, 2014, 08:04 PM
No respect for Davidson's strength of schedule, I suppose. College of Faith (Davidson's redoubtable opening opponent) has been outscored 172-0 this season.

Hah! You can bet that Brown U. dropped any snarky "redoubtable" tag after getting thumped by the Hoyas last weekend. I'm still rather impressed with that one.

Not so sure that Davidson even is trying to compete these days.

Lehigh'98
September 25th, 2014, 08:04 PM

Most likely that is Davidson's only W of the year. At least you have some highlights to show at the football banquet.

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2014, 08:10 PM
The only real question is: at what point will Princeton give up? I'd imagine they are PO'd after last week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2014, 11:10 PM
3-3 last week, 19-4 overall....

Colgate 30 Georgetown 16 - The Hoya's have had a nice run but reality hits in Hamilton. I think Colgate is fairly legit...

Lafayette 38 Wagner 16 - Enjoy the cupcake....

Bucknell 41 Cornell 24 - The Bison roll along....

Fordham 41 Holy Cross 20 - The Rams are back on track while things start getting messy in Worcester....

Lehigh 34 Monmouth 31 - Simply because the thought of a winless season is too ugly to think about right now. The injuries are more of a concern than the defense at this point. With a healthy OL Lehigh's offense is really good....

crusader11
September 26th, 2014, 09:08 AM
17-7 on the season...

GEORGETOWN @ COLGATE -- Colgate seems like they're pretty good this year. Granted, I haven't seen them play one down all season.

Monmouth @ LEHIGH -- Can't play defense and are pretty dinged up, I'll take the Hawks (road Hawks) in a close one.

FORDHAM @ HOLY CROSS -- No reason, just a feeling. I don't feel that bad about HC's performance last week against Harvard and, seeing that HC nearly knocked off Fordham last season in the Bronx, I think we may eek one out tomorrow. It certainly would make things in the PL real interesting if that were to happen.

Cornell @ BUCKNELL -- Maybe the second best team in the PL?

Wagner @ LAFAYETTE -- 'Pards lick their wounds and get back on track.

Sader87
September 26th, 2014, 10:45 AM
21-3 on the season.....yeah, I'm that good xbowx

C and p'd from CROSSPORTS:

The HAL9000 reluctantly took his time away from following the Ryder Cup in cyberspace to make the following picks:

Colgate 28 GTown 12 The Red Raiders are probably the PL team that has exceeded their preseason expectations more than any other.

Lehigh 84 Monmouth 78 And no, CJ McCollum will not suit up in this contest.

Bucknell 27 Cornell 16 HAL doesn't know what to make of the Bison....pretendah or contendah??? Jury is still out.

Lafayette 31 Wagner 18 The Pards return to the cozy confines of Easton and the NEC to right their ship.

Fordham 38 HC 31 HAL wanted to go with the Saders, he really did, but this contest has all the earmarks of previous "big-games" for HC of the last few seasons....an inspired effort that just falls short. Disappointed HC fans are then rudely kicked out of their tailgating spots after the game to add to their misery.

PAllen
September 26th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Lehigh 84 Monmouth 78 And no, CJ McCollum will not suit up in this contest.

We may need 84 to win. :D

DatDude
September 26th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Davidson will put some points up on Princeton, much better than last yr. Dont think it will be the slaughter most suspect xthumbsupx

Pard4Life
September 26th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Davidson will put some points up on Princeton, much better than last yr. Dont think it will be the slaughter most suspect xthumbsupx

You're right, a field goal against the JV squad in the fourth quarter counts as points.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Colgate 23, Georgetown 14

Lafayette 27, Wagner 17

Bucknell 30 Cornell 24

Fordham 33, Holy Cross 28

Lehigh 21, Monmouth 10

Bonus pick: Princeton 40, Davidson 7

Lehigh'98
September 26th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Colgate 23, Georgetown 14

Lafayette 27, Wagner 17

Bucknell 30 Cornell 24

Fordham 33, Holy Cross 28

Lehigh 21, Monmouth 10

Bonus pick: Princeton 40, Davidson 7

Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahahahahahahhahahah....Lehigh holding anyone to 10 points.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2014, 06:43 PM
My fearless prediction of Monmouth/Lehigh:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/09/game-breakdown-monmouth-at-lehigh.html

Pard4Life
September 26th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Last week: 3-3 (SHU, Lehigh, Gtown)
Season: 20-4

Colgate 34, Georgetown 17

Lehigh 42, Monmouth 35... tough pick; Lehigh could not show up in this game though, but I haven't ever seen the Fowl roll over and die...

Fordham 28, Holy Cross 24... real battle

Bucknell 45, Cornell 14

Lafayette 31, Wagner 17... small steps, and the D will come to play

Bonus pick: Princeton 66, Davidson 3

Double bonus: Army 45, Yale 42

Bill
September 26th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Bonus pick: Princeton 66, Davidson 3

I know this isn't the ivy board...but 49 points is a ton to cover...and you have them winning by 63!

I say "run away" from actually betting this one...

For entertainment purposes onlyxrotatehx

Leopard Loyalist
September 26th, 2014, 11:51 PM
18-6 so far this season. This week's picks are in line with most everybody else, I think.

Colgate tops Georgetown by two touchdowns

Lafayette recovers against Wagner by 17

Bucknell squeaks by Cornell by 3

Fordham handles Holy Cross in a close game by 6

Lehigh manages to outscore Monmouth by a point

Ken_Z
September 27th, 2014, 12:58 AM
bonus pick

Princeton 56 Davidson -12 (both anti pats missed after their anti touchdowns)

Pards Rule
September 27th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Given the general regard that AGS posters seem to have for Laf***tte in the upcoming game vs. Wagner, perhaps I will join the fray and at least make some picks for this week. A loss Saturday evening will forever confirm my tigres proditorium, however - even if I'm predicting that the Pitiable Pards will choose to lose.

Im sure their players would consider it unacceptable if they didn't win by 50!!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2014, 09:48 AM
My other predictions this week:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/09/how-to-catch-monmouthlehigh-broadcast.html

I was a pretty weak 3-3 last weekend - lost Lehigh, Georgetown, Bucknell. Hopefully I lose my Monmouth/Lehigh pick at least.

Princeton might put up 80 on Davidson. I honestly don't think they will show any mercy.

aceinthehole
September 27th, 2014, 09:57 AM
From the Staten Island Advance:

Wagner has matched up well against Patriot League opponents, going 4-0 in the last four meetings to improve to 13-8 overall. The Seahawks own victories over Georgetown (21-3 and 28-21), Holy Cross (31-30) and Colgate (31-20) in the past three seasons.
I'm probably the only person on Earth to feel this way, but I think the Seahawks are on the verge of a breakout game, coming off that 21-16 loss at Monmouth. The defense grew stronger as the day wore on and QB Brian Gehring looked sharp despite a couple of huge mistakes.
I think this one will be just as tight, with the Seahawks coming home with one of their best wins in a long, long time.
PREDICTION: Wagner 24, Lafayette 21.

http://www.silive.com/colleges/index.ssf/2014/09/five_things_to_know_as_wagner.html

Pard4Life
September 27th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I have no doubt Wagner is on the verge of a breakout, but you can say the same about the Pards.

carney2
September 27th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I have no doubt Wagner is on the verge of a breakout, but you can say the same about the Pards.

Or Alderson Broaddus, Wagner's next opponent. No lie.

Wagner played Monmouth about even two weeks ago so this might be a weak point of comparison between the two teams headed for Yankee Stadium.

aceinthehole
September 27th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Or Alderson Broaddus, Wagner's next opponent. No lie.

Wagner played Monmouth about even two weeks ago so this might be a weak point of comparison between the two teams headed for Yankee Stadium.

And Monmouth just beat Lehigh ...

Fordham
September 27th, 2014, 03:21 PM
First time I've seen HC play and they're not that good this year at all. We were back to clicking on O again for the most part. One HC TD came when the game was well in hand and the other was a ridiculous play by our DB where he should have had a pick and bobbled/misplayed it into the hands of the HC WR for a 74yd TD. Really expected a tougher game and I do think this could be it for Gilmore if the season continues to tank like these last two games have gone.

Very interested to see the Bucknell result

Bogus Megapardus
September 27th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I'm away this weekend so I didn't get to make my picks. xdrunkyx

Anyhow, I'm tentatively pulling for Laf***tte, if nothing more than by habit. If it all starts to Frankosaur down the hole early on, I'm switching to the Battle of the Nells (which could prove to be an interesting game).

Sader87
September 27th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Barring injuries, many. many turnovahs by FU in a game or an act of God....nobody in the PL is beating Fordham this year.

Go...gate
September 28th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Bucknell at 4-0. I believe that is BU's best start since the late Tom Gadd's 1997 club, which went 10-0 before losing at Colgate in the last game of the season.

Pards Rule
September 28th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Bucknell at 4-0. I believe that is BU's best start since the late Tom Gadd's 1997 club, which went 10-0 before losing at Colgate in the last game of the season.

Indeed. And when was the last time Lehigh was 0-4? In my 35 years of following I-AA I don't recall that ever?

Pards Rule
September 28th, 2014, 08:03 AM
My other predictions this week:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/09/how-to-catch-monmouthlehigh-broadcast.html

I was a pretty weak 3-3 last weekend - lost Lehigh, Georgetown, Bucknell. Hopefully I lose my Monmouth/Lehigh pick at least.

Princeton might put up 80 on Davidson. I honestly don't think they will show any mercy.

Hey LFN, I admire the honesty in the pick! We had our hands full with the Hawks as I suspected but Runaway Ross secured the win with two great TD runs at the end.

carney2
September 28th, 2014, 08:12 AM
And when was the last time Lehigh was 0-4? In my 35 years of following I-AA I don't recall that ever?

2009. The Squawks ended that year 4-7.

Some things are correctable. A consistently bad defense is not. It is, and will continue to be, a long season on Squawk Mountain. There have been other 4 win teams over the years - and even some 3 win teams. For the sake of the League, The Rivalry, and that much hyped meeting with Lafayette in The Bronx, let's hope the Doo-Doo Boys are not battling the one win 1967 team for a place in the Feathered Hall of Shame.

Pards Rule
September 28th, 2014, 08:17 AM

Some things are correctable. A consistently bad defense is not. It is, and will continue to be, a long season on Squawk Mountain. There have been other 4 win teams over the years - and even some 3 win teams. For the sake of the League, The Rivalry, and that much hyped meeting with Lafayette in The Bronx, let's hope the Doo-Doo Boys are not battling the one win 1967 team for a place in the Feathered Hall of Shame.

Hey I heard about that team from the Class of '70 guy I was sitting next to (see Monmouth-Lehigh thread). He said their first two years Brown was horrid. And the Pard does have currency it appears Carney! That beast saved me $16 (general admission ticket)! And we all recall how that 2009 season ended - ugh!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2014, 09:32 AM

The Bucknell game will determine the outcome of the rest of the season for Lehigh.

bison137
September 28th, 2014, 03:05 PM

Yes, that is correct.

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I saw what I saw yesterday... Lehigh will not go 6-5. They are undisciplined and their defense is a category 5 disaster. Monmouth is not a world-beating team. Lehigh has an offense to compete, but even there, there are some questions. What happens if a team, like Bucknell or Fordham, can shut down Lehigh's run? Can Shaf carry the passing game? The lack of discipline on defense is beyond comment. This squad reminds me of 2010 Lafayette. Looking back at our 2010-2012 period, I can think of several games where if only a few things had gone differently, we could have won 8 games. Let's face it... fantasy thinking... given the way Lehigh has played, or barring some miracle on defense, Lehigh will be at best .500 in their remaining PL games.

Southsider
September 29th, 2014, 06:58 AM
I saw what I saw yesterday... Lehigh will not go 6-5. They are undisciplined and their defense is a category 5 disaster. Monmouth is not a world-beating team. Lehigh has an offense to compete, but even there, there are some questions. What happens if a team, like Bucknell or Fordham, can shut down Lehigh's run? Can Shaf carry the passing game? The lack of discipline on defense is beyond comment. This squad reminds me of 2010 Lafayette. Looking back at our 2010-2012 period, I can think of several games where if only a few things had gone differently, we could have won 8 games. Let's face it... fantasy thinking... given the way Lehigh has played, or barring some miracle on defense, Lehigh will be at best .500 in their remaining PL games.

Spot on P4L. I doubt they win 3. Seems to me Coen & Staff felt going with a lighter, faster D was the way to go. It has failed, and the wheels have come off. It will take a few years to recover for sure.

DatDude
September 29th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Spot on P4L. I doubt they win 3. Seems to me Coen & Staff felt going with a lighter, faster D was the way to go. It has failed, and the wheels have come off. It will take a few years to recover for sure. A few yrs? LOL. Lehigh has been in every game besides the UNH game. Maybe if they start actually using more of the scholarship kids on defense they can turn it around THIS YR. The defense is full of jrs and srs that finally gets a chance to play, i guess we know now why they never started! :D Lehigh could easily be 3-1, unfortunately theyre not. If the D can show any kind of heart, the same goals they had to start the season are in front of them. I dont see any PL teams setting the FCS on fire. Looks like every has a shot except GU xnonox. Look what Lafayette did last yr xthumbsupx

Lehigh'98
September 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM
A few yrs? LOL. Lehigh has been in every game besides the UNH game. Maybe if they start actually using more of the scholarship kids on defense they can turn it around THIS YR. The defense is full of jrs and srs that finally gets a chance to play, i guess we know now why they never started! :D Lehigh could easily be 3-1, unfortunately theyre not. If the D can show any kind of heart, the same goals they had to start the season are in front of them. I dont see any PL teams setting the FCS on fire. Looks like every has a shot except GU xnonox. Look what Lafayette did last yr xthumbsupx

As bad as the defense is, there is something more missing from this team. There is no leadership it seems, no fire. Lack of making big plays when it counts on offense. The coaching losses on offense, unfortunately, had as big an impact as I feared. They remind me of Coen's early years, but with much less talent and size. Optimistically, I think we can squeak out a few wins, just because the league isn't exactly stacked this year, but anything beyond 3-8 is wishful thinking. It pains me to agree with P4L too.

bison137
September 29th, 2014, 08:28 AM
A few yrs? LOL. Lehigh has been in every game besides the UNH game. Maybe if they start actually using more of the scholarship kids on defense they can turn it around THIS YR. The defense is full of jrs and srs that finally gets a chance to play, i guess we know now why they never started! :D Lehigh could easily be 3-1, unfortunately theyre not. If the D can show any kind of heart, the same goals they had to start the season are in front of them. I dont see any PL teams setting the FCS on fire. Looks like every has a shot except GU xnonox. Look what Lafayette did last yr xthumbsupx

Agree. I think the losses have obscured the play. LU right now is in a pack with LC, CU, and Bucknell. Just different opponents and a different W-L record. I think three wins is their floor but they certainly could win a few more than that.

Doc QB
September 29th, 2014, 08:49 AM
As bad as the defense is, there is something more missing from this team. There is no leadership it seems, no fire. Lack of making big plays when it counts on offense. The coaching losses on offense, unfortunately, had as big an impact as I feared. They remind me of Coen's early years, but with much less talent and size.

The loss of Cecchini and some assistants was more than pretty big. Look at the assistants on O now, those guys are kinda young. If you ask me, I think Cecc knew something that we are all only seeing now. A young team with huge ?s on O, a bad D, leads to a bad year and then he isnt getting the calls to be HC anywhere. He may have known last year the window was closing and didnt want to wait out long term the scholarship kids getting older, more snaps, more wins (hopefully). He obviously didnt want to wait around for another Lum offensive machine that could compete on a national level, leading to another round of calls for HC jobs.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Looking over the OOC of the entire league, I don't see many games where a PL team got a win and Lehigh would have definitely lost. Sacred Heart, who beat Laf and lost to Bucky - give Lehigh a loss in that game. Otherwise, where? Brown? Lehigh would have lost to Villanova, Ball State, William and Mary too, but so did Fordham, Colgate, and Lafayette.

Give the other PL teams our schedule and I see a lot of teams going 1-3. Maybe Fordham beats JMU and/or Yale, but I don't think it's a runaway. Likely every other team 1-3 at best, or with an identical 0-4 record. What is very clear IMO is if UNH were a Patriot League team they would beat everyone by at least 20+ points.

What's frustrating on Lehigh's side is how close they are to being 2-2. If they had found a way to win vs. JMU and Monmouth, we'd have them at No. 2 or No. 3 in the power rankings despite the warts. But they are finding ways to lose, not win, so they're mired at the bottom until they prove themselves.

DatDude
September 29th, 2014, 11:39 AM
As bad as the defense is, there is something more missing from this team. There is no leadership it seems, no fire. Lack of making big plays when it counts on offense. The coaching losses on offense, unfortunately, had as big an impact as I feared. They remind me of Coen's early years, but with much less talent and size. Optimistically, I think we can squeak out a few wins, just because the league isn't exactly stacked this year, but anything beyond 3-8 is wishful thinking. It pains me to agree with P4L too.The O isnt the problem. Lehigh is avg. 32 pts a game against some good defenses with size and speed. That should win you a majority of games. IF the D can show some heart and make some stops, Lehigh will be ok. They have 3 scholly kids that start on D. If they dont have better kids on the sideline from what I see starting, the future is bleak.xthumbsdownx They need to make some changes in the lineup and let some kids play that dont feel entitled to starting because its "their turn". Coen loves his upperclassmen. They had they shot, now for the real horses to get a chance. Funny how he loves the O and has half the starting lineup, or ALOT of scholly kids seeing the field. Hence they avg. 32 points a gamexnodx

DFW HOYA
September 29th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Lehigh has started slow before, so the sky is not falling.

The Engineers could be 2-8 rolling into New York and still beat Lafayette, because that's what rivalry games do.

PAllen
September 29th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Lehigh has started slow before, so the sky is not falling.

The Engineers could be 2-8 rolling into New York and still beat Lafayette, because that's what rivalry games do.

Honestly? this is about all that I'm hoping for. While it would have been nice to have 150 be a meeting of two great teams battling it out for position going into the playoffs, that ship has sailed. At this point I just want to beat Lafayette, and I don't want to see this team in the playoffs.

Southsider
September 29th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Honestly? this is about all that I'm hoping for. While it would have been nice to have 150 be a meeting of two great teams battling it out for position going into the playoffs, that ship has sailed. At this point I just want to beat Lafayette, and I don't want to see this team in the playoffs.

I agree. Who wants to get in with a sub-par team and take a beating, both on this Board, and on the field. I do think the worst is over, and things will improve. But, it's going to take awhile to get the right folks in the pipeline. Speaking of which, I undedrstand the Buskirk kid from Whitehall is in the mix for LU. If true, that would be a great start!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Could we please stop with the idiocy that we don't want to see our team in the playoffs? Such a team would be 6-5 or 7-4 and would have wins over Fordham and Lafayette. I will TAKE that and smoke it. Even if it means playing Villanova and being heavy underdogs.

Lehigh'98
September 29th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Could we please stop with the idiocy that we don't want to see our team in the playoffs? Such a team would be 6-5 or 7-4 and would have wins over Fordham and Lafayette. I will TAKE that and smoke it. Even if it means playing Villanova and being heavy underdogs.

I would mainline that, but don't concern yourself with such hypotheticals.

RichH2
September 29th, 2014, 02:51 PM

I agree. Who wants to get in with a sub-par team and take a beating, both on this Board, and on the field. I do think the worst is over, and things will improve. But, it's going to take awhile to get the right folks in the pipeline. Speaking of which, I undedrstand the Buskirk kid from Whitehall is in the mix for LU. If true, that would be a great start!
We have 3 verbals, Buskirk is one of them.

PAllen
September 29th, 2014, 03:39 PM

Sorry you find it idiotic, but I would much rather have the coaches on the recruiting trail then getting our butts handed to us in the playoffs. That's just my opinion, but I own it. :D

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Sorry you find it idiotic, but I would much rather have the coaches on the recruiting trail then getting our butts handed to us in the playoffs. That's just my opinion, but I own it. :D

So you'd rather lose 150 to get to recruiting. Ummkay.

Southsider
September 29th, 2014, 04:30 PM
]So you'd rather lose 150 to get to recruiting. Ummkay[/I].

That's not what he meant, and you know it. Look, it will be what it will be. But as '98 points out, let's not deal with hypotheticals.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2014, 06:46 PM

No, that's what Frankosaurus does...

CHIP72
September 29th, 2014, 06:53 PM
In all honesty, Lehigh probably isn't considerably worse than they were the last two years. The difference is that Lehigh won their close games in 2012 and 2013 and they are losing them in 2014.

The above should not be confused with suggesting Lehigh is only a small handful of plays away from being a good team however.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2014, 06:56 PM
LFN, I think you are talking in a circle. Sure Lehigh could easily be 2-2 and would not have definitively lost to any other OOC PL games aside from the power teams, but if they were 2-2, they would not be as flawed a team as they are now, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Problem #1: Special Teams... FG snafu's led to direct losses vs Monmouth and JMU

Problem #2: Defensive discipline... Monmouth would never have been in position to make a game winning drive

These are just some of the problems, but two we would not be discussing if Lehigh were 2-2.

And I disagree with Lafayette's standing in all of this... we are not perfect but we have nowhere near the issues that Lehigh has... at this point, the Pards have more 'fine tuning' issues, if anything... Even if we are 100% we are still not a Fordham-capable team, but capable of scaring the pants off of a top team.

CHIP72
September 29th, 2014, 07:13 PM
LFN, I think you are talking in a circle. Sure Lehigh could easily be 2-2 and would not have definitively lost to any other OOC PL games aside from the power teams, but if they were 2-2, they would not be as flawed a team as they are now, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Problem #1: Special Teams... FG snafu's led to direct losses vs Monmouth and JMU

Problem #2: Defensive discipline... Monmouth would never have been in position to make a game winning drive

These are just some of the problems, but two we would not be discussing if Lehigh were 2-2.

And I disagree with Lafayette's standing in all of this... we are not perfect but we have nowhere near the issues that Lehigh has... at this point, the Pards have more 'fine tuning' issues, if anything... Even if we are 100% we are still not a Fordham-capable team, but capable of scaring the pants off of a top team.

I pretty much agree with this. A good or fairly good team finds ways to win games, while a mediocre or not-so-good team finds ways to not win games. This year's Lehigh team is showing the margin between winning and losing is small yet very significant.

As for Lafayette, they look like a reasonably good team to me, notwithstanding their loss at Sacred Heart and 2nd half meltdown at William & Mary. I'll be anxious to see how competitive they are with Fordham on Friday, especially after they pulled the big upset last year.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I pretty much agree with this. A good or fairly good team finds ways to win games, while a mediocre or not-so-good team finds ways to not win games. This year's Lehigh team is showing the margin between winning and losing is small yet very significant.

As for Lafayette, they look like a reasonably good team to me, notwithstanding their loss at Sacred Heart and 2nd half meltdown at William & Mary. I'll be anxious to see how competitive they are with Fordham on Friday, especially after they pulled the big upset last year.

Lafayette is Lehigh with the ability to find a way to win the game at the end. They did everything against Wagner that Lehigh was unable to do against Monmouth - come up with an excellent two-minute drill at the end of the half that became points, and stomped on the throat of Wagner at the end to prevent any remaining comeback.

Pard4Life
September 29th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Lafayette is Lehigh with the ability to find a way to win the game at the end. They did everything against Wagner that Lehigh was unable to do against Monmouth - come up with an excellent two-minute drill at the end of the half that became points, and stomped on the throat of Wagner at the end to prevent any remaining comeback.

Lafayette is channeling their inner Lehigh that Lehigh channeled from Lafayette once our administration decided that winning is not wise academic policy.

Lehigh'98
September 29th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Lafayette is channeling their inner Lehigh that Lehigh channeled from Lafayette once our administration decided that winning is not wise academic policy.

Finkel is Einhorn, Einhorn is Finkel!!!

PAllen
September 29th, 2014, 11:19 PM
So you'd rather lose 150 to get to recruiting. Ummkay.

As I've said many, many times, winning 150 is the most important thing this season.

CHIP72
September 29th, 2014, 11:38 PM
As I've said many, many times, winning 150 is the most important thing this season.

And considering how many people apparently don't have tickets to the game and would like to attend, getting into Yankee Stadium on 11/22/14 will be at least the second-most important thing this season.

In retrospect, Lincoln Financial Field or MetLife Stadium would have worked better for 150 ticket demand-wise, but to be fair I think the demand outstripped just about everyone's expectations.

van
September 30th, 2014, 07:07 AM
In all honesty, Lehigh probably isn't considerably worse than they were the last two years. The difference is that Lehigh won their close games in 2012 and 2013 and they are losing them in 2014.

The above should not be confused with suggesting Lehigh is only a small handful of plays away from being a good team however.

+1

PAllen
September 30th, 2014, 08:48 AM
And considering how many people apparently don't have tickets to the game and would like to attend, getting into Yankee Stadium on 11/22/14 will be at least the second-most important thing this season.

In retrospect, Lincoln Financial Field or MetLife Stadium would have worked better for 150 ticket demand-wise, but to be fair I think the demand outstripped just about everyone's expectations.

I've always thought that the Linc would have been a better venue, but yeah, nobody expected this much demand.

Franks Tanks
September 30th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I've always thought that the Linc would have been a better venue, but yeah, nobody expected this much demand.

Agree, but you have to understand how this whole thing started to begin with. A Lafayette Alum is in charge of all the non-baseball events at Yankee Stadium. Bowl games, other college games, concerts etc. He called up Lafayette and Bruce and proposed the idea of moving 150 to Yankee Stadium. In no way was this Bruce's idea, and in no way was he proactive about making it happen. If such an approach was taken the Linc may have been the desired location.

Bruce does nothing proactively. When speaking about the renovation of our basketball arena, Bruce said the idea came to him when viewing a game on TV and noticing a spiffy smaller arena. Like he never considered renovating the arena before that point.

PAllen
September 30th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Agree, but you have to understand how this whole thing started to begin with. A Lafayette Alum is in charge of all the non-baseball events at Yankee Stadium. Bowl games, other college games, concerts etc. He called up Lafayette and Bruce and proposed the idea of moving 150 to Yankee Stadium. In no way was this Bruce's idea, and in no way was he proactive about making it happen. If such an approach was taken the Linc may have been the desired location.

Bruce does nothing proactively. When speaking about the renovation of our basketball arena, Bruce said the idea came to him when viewing a game on TV and noticing a spiffy smaller arena. Like he never considered renovating the arena before that point.

Thanks for the info FT. I figured it was some combination of an inside connection with the Yankees and all of the alums from both schools in the NY Metro Area.

carney2
September 30th, 2014, 01:28 PM

Lincoln Financial Field has some sort of an exclusive agreement for college football with Temple. It would have been very difficult to get in there. We went through all of this - and I do mean ALL of this - well over a year ago when this first became a strong rumor.

PAllen
September 30th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Well, we could talk about how good Lehigh's defense has been this season... Oh wait. xoopsx

ngineer
September 30th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Well, we could talk about how good Lehigh's defense has been this season... Oh wait. xoopsx

Doesn't this jabbering belong on the Lafayette at New Hampshire thread???