PDA

View Full Version : The Torch Has Been Passed

TypicalTribe
September 18th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I doubt she can channel JFK, but I'd like to hear Patty Viverito (MVFC Commissioner) come out with this statement:

“Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new conference in FCS, born in this century, tempered by playoff battles, disciplined by a hard and bitter landscape, proud of our ancient heritage, and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those programs to which this conference has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and on the road. Let every conference know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of the Missouri Valley.”

If you're interested in the original, listen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrEC_WjlZQU (jump to 2:45).

Since Delaware won the national championship in 2003, it has been fairly clear that the CAA has been the dominant conference, with four different national champions, numerous FBS victories and a lion's share of at-large playoff bids. Yes, other leagues had great teams and won national titles, but the strength of the CAA was most evident in its depth. However, while the conference tried to hang onto this designation as NDSU became the dominant power in recent years, the early part of this season and the resulting polls have shown that the claim can no longer be made. I expect that this will finally be the year that the MVFC takes a chunk of at-large berths and puts its stamp on FCS.

Just a random thought for a quiet Thursday.

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Nope....the valley will all beat each other up and only 2-3 make the postseason.

MR. CHICKEN
September 18th, 2014, 11:39 AM
xeekx
I doubt she can channel JFK, but I'd like to hear Patty Viverito (MVFC Commissioner) come out with this statement:

“Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new conference in FCS, born in this century, tempered by playoff battles, disciplined by a hard and bitter landscape, proud of our ancient heritage, and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those programs to which this conference has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and on the road. Let every conference know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of the Missouri Valley.”

If you're interested in the original, listen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrEC_WjlZQU (jump to 2:45).

Since Delaware won the national championship in 2003, it has been fairly clear that the CAA has been the dominant conference, with four different national champions, numerous FBS victories and a lion's share of at-large playoff bids. Yes, other leagues had great teams and won national titles, but the strength of the CAA was most evident in its depth. However, while the conference tried to hang onto this designation as NDSU became the dominant power in recent years, the early part of this season and the resulting polls have shown that the claim can no longer be made. I expect that this will finally be the year that the MVFC takes a chunk of at-large berths and puts its stamp on FCS.

19711......TURNCOAT......xeekx......AWK!

McNeese75
September 18th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Nope....the valley will all beat each other up and only 2-3 make the postseason.

BUT, like the CAA you will claim everyone should be ranked in the top 25 regardless of have 5 losses :D

superman7515
September 18th, 2014, 12:07 PM
BUT, like the CAA you will claim everyone should be ranked in the top 25 regardless of have 5 losses :D

5 losses? Where were you in 2012 when some folks were making the argument that an MVFC team with zero Division 1 wins in Week 7 deserved to be ranked in the Top 10.

Silenoz
September 18th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I look forward to 2019 when our OVC/Southland overlords will be crowing every week about how awesome their 7th place team is

superman7515
September 18th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I look forward to 2019 when our OVC/Southland overlords will be crowing every week about how awesome their 7th place team is

Clearly you missed the memo that the Patriot League now has scholarships.

Lehigh'98
September 18th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Finally, someone with some sense chiming in.

McNeese75
September 18th, 2014, 01:29 PM
5 losses? Where were you in 2012 when some folks were making the argument that an MVFC team with zero Division 1 wins in Week 7 deserved to be ranked in the Top 10.

Wellllllllllllll, you got me there Supe. Clenz is quite the politicker xlolx

REALBird
September 18th, 2014, 04:08 PM

If only we had the blessing of the East Coast SID's and Writers who thinks God "shat" a golden football East and South of the the Appalachian Mtns. LOL.
Maybe we could get those 5 loss teams in the top 25. LOL.

Twentysix
September 18th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Today, you won the internet. Good job.

Bogus Megapardus
September 18th, 2014, 04:41 PM

A few scholarships, and only freshmen and sophomores have them. Any they're only so we can keep pace in FCS and not lose ground. No one has any pretensions of top-fivedness or championshiping or anything like that. It's best to keep focusing on the Southland and the Ohio Valley (now that the SoCon has lost all relevance).

superman7515
September 18th, 2014, 08:57 PM
A few scholarships, and only freshmen and sophomores have them.

Yes, but we're talking about 2019, so the above would only be true of Georgetown, and only if DFW wins the Powerball.

centennial
September 18th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Lol if anyone thinks we get more than 3 total. Seems like everyone has forgotten NCAA SRS. That system is also called " Rank who you pick". If anyone thinks the committee is unbiased I have some prime real estate on Mars to sell you. The committee is made up of biased ADs who reek of nepotism. Does no one remember the picks from last year?

MTfan4life
September 18th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Lol if anyone thinks we get more than 3 total. Seems like everyone has forgotten NCAA SRS. That system is also called " Rank who you pick". If anyone thinks the committee is unbiased I have some prime real estate on Mars to sell you. The committee is made up of biased ADs who reek of nepotism. Does no one remember the picks from last year?

Two teams from the MVFC have gotten screwed in the last 3 years and yet everyone keeps whining like the committee has been ****ing that conference over since the dawn of time.

In 2011, Illinois State was a measly 7-4, but probably should have been in ahead of EKU, but they didn't. Last season Youngstown State was no doubt wrongfully left out, but they were only 8-4 and had lost their final 3 games. It's not like they're giving teams from the MVFC the Lehigh stiff. Any team that finishes with 3 losses from the Valley is getting in, and the same likely the same situation even with 4 losses.

centennial
September 18th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Two teams from the MVFC have gotten screwed in the last 3 years and yet everyone keeps whining like the committee has been ****ing that conference over since the dawn of time.

In 2011, Illinois State was a measly 7-4, but probably should have been in ahead of EKU, but they didn't. Last season Youngstown State was no doubt wrongfully left out, but they were only 8-4 and had lost their final 3 games. It's not like they're giving teams from the MVFC the Lehigh stiff. Any team that finishes with 3 losses from the Valley is getting in, and the same likely the same situation even with 4 losses.
Just want to bring to your attention-
2013 MVFC Saragin Rating- Average team is over 12 point favorite over the Big Sky. MVFC- 2 teams, Big Sky-4. If you think we are ONLY talking about 2 teams in 3 years you are mistaken, there is a documented bias against the valley over the course of a decade. It's true the valley hasn't done well really well in the playoffs, but we don't even get close to what we deserve.
16 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 59.31 59.52 ( 15) 10 59.01 ( 16)

25 BIG SKY (AA)= 46.72 46.79 ( 26) 13 46.85 ( 25)

This Year- Average valley team is 9 point better than Big Sky.
15 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 61.77 62.07 ( 14) 10 61.92 ( 14)

22 BIG SKY (AA)= 52.68 53.10 ( 21) 13 52.92 ( 22)

Wallace
September 19th, 2014, 12:13 AM
2013 MVFC Saragin Rating- Average team is over 12 point favorite over the Big Sky. MVFC- 2 teams, Big Sky-4. If you think we are ONLY talking about 2 teams in 3 years you are mistaken, there is a documented bias against the valley over the course of a decade. It's true the valley hasn't done well really well in the playoffs, but we don't even get close to what we deserve.

Use Massey which ranks non-D-I teams correctly. Sagarin is a D-I rating.

MTfan4life
September 19th, 2014, 12:29 AM

I can tell I'm up a creek here if you're using computer rating systems to claim validity. Goodness gracious. Skip Sagarin and tell me other situations in the past decade where the MVFC hasn't gotten what it "deserved." How many of these ratings watch the games and know things such as injury, strategy, matchups, in-game statistics, human observation, and momentum? Zero. I place my football knowledge on observation. Computer ratings aren't able to observe. If you want a playoff based on computers, you're never going to get it.

If you are going to make claims on the last decade, I want to hear records, and what teams they deserved to get in ahead of. Plus, in 2013, there was only one Valley team that didn't get in that deserved to get in. People think it's all about those 7 wins, but losses play into the picture as well. I don't know if it has ever happened, but if it has it's very rare for a team with 5 or more losses to get an at-large bid. A season is all about deciding a winner. Once you lose 5 games, you've lost your chance to be the champion regardless of who you've played.

MTfan4life
September 19th, 2014, 01:32 AM
I'll do some for you:

Last teams out:
Youngstown State 7-3 against D1 no wins over teams that got in
Montana State 7-4 against D1 win over Montana
Last team in:
Lafayette 8-3 However, they did beat Richmond, a team that got a top 4 seed.
Hard to argue getting in with no good wins.
Last teams out:
Northern Iowa 7-4 beat Illinois State and YSU, but lost to UND
Portland State 7-4 win over FBS Bowl team New Mexico, two FBS losses
Last teams in:
Eastern Illinois 7-4 with two FBS losses
Valley already had 3 out of the 16 this season and hard to argue inclusion.
2007:
No excluded Valley team with 7 or more D1 wins
2008:
No excluded Valley team with adequate win/loss record.
2009:
Last teams out:
Northern Iowa 7-4 best win over 6-5 Youngstown
Last team in:
Weber State 7-4 two FBS losses, best win over playoff team Eastern Washington
Total coin toss pick. Hard to argue being screwed.
2010:
Valley gets 3 teams in. No eligible team excluded.
2011:
Last team out:
Illinois State 7-4 loss to Eastern Illinois, no good wins, 4 FCS losses
Last team in:
Eastern Kentucky 7-4 beat Eastern Illinois, no good wins, 3 FCS losses
Yes, Illinois State had good poll ratings, but they didn't have a resume worth a spit and they had the loss to 2-9 Eastern Illinois.
2012:
Valley gets 3 teams in. No 7 win team excluded.
2013:
Last team out:
Youngstown State 8-4, with FBS loss, two Pioneer League wins, best win Southern Illinois
Last teams in:
Southern Utah 8-4, win over crappy FBS that did finish the season 6-6, next best win Montana State, didn't really deserve a bid
Tennessee State 9-3, beat Jacksonville State
South Carolina State, 9-3 No good wins, didn't really deserve a bid

So, in 2013, Youngstown State, although they had a weak resume, they should have been in. However, there's no other substantial oppression in the past decade. Those statements about the records and the good or lack of good wins above are all facts. Not created through an algorithm to spit out a result. I used to worship computer numbers too back when I first started really getting into FCS, mainly because it's hard to track FCS teams. However, there's no strong validity with them, and they can't watch the games. I've realized there's no real use debating with them and I only use them for observation.

mvemjsunpx
September 19th, 2014, 02:50 AM
So, in 2013, Youngstown State, although they had a weak resume, they should have been in.

Youngstown shouldn't have been in last year. When you finish your season the way they did, you're always going to be looked at as weaker than your overall resume.

penguinpower
September 19th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Youngstown shouldn't have been in last year. When you finish your season the way they did, you're always going to be looked at as weaker than your overall resume.

How many wins did SHSU have? They got in over Youngstown. Losing games late in the year of applies in politics. The 3 most difficult games were at the end of the year. That is why you go on records. If those games were split up Youngstown may have beaten UNI and they would have had 9 wins. They caught UNI after a few weeks of healing and Youngstown was limping into the last 3 games.. Timing is part of the equation when it comes to playing teams and affects your chances in winning but should not be carried over into playoff selection because it then becomes politics. Youngstown was better than several other teams in the playoffs last year. They were ****ed

JMUNJ08
September 19th, 2014, 08:09 AM
How many wins did SHSU have? They got in over Youngstown. Losing games late in the year of applies in politics. The 3 most difficult games were at the end of the year. That is why you go on records. If those games were split up Youngstown may have beaten UNI and they would have had 9 wins. They caught UNI after a few weeks of healing and Youngstown was limping into the last 3 games.. Timing is part of the equation when it comes to playing teams and affects your chances in winning but should not be carried over into playoff selection because it then becomes politics. Youngstown was better than several other teams in the playoffs last year. They were ****ed

If all three of those tough games were early in the year, I do not think it would have mattered if the outcomes were the same. The Penguins lost against the 3 teams that would have given their resume any type of mojo. The skid to end the season was just icing on the cake...

JMUNJ08
September 19th, 2014, 08:14 AM
And the thing about computer ratings is rather laughable as well. UNC and Idaho St have been consistently terrible bottom feeders for awhile in the Big Sky and easily drag down their numbers. By volume of teams, certain ones will miss others and allow for some more 10-2/ 9-3 type teams than the Valley's near round robin. The CAA benefited from this for several years (plus a regular rotation of strong/ weak teams besides URI...) and we were getting the most in the dance. Parity is great until you only have one elite team to take home the bacon...

penguinpower
September 19th, 2014, 08:28 AM
And the thing about computer ratings is rather laughable as well. UNC and Idaho St have been consistently terrible bottom feeders for awhile in the Big Sky and easily drag down their numbers. By volume of teams, certain ones will miss others and allow for some more 10-2/ 9-3 type teams than the Valley's near round robin. The CAA benefited from this for several years (plus a regular rotation of strong/ weak teams besides URI...) and we were getting the most in the dance. Parity is great until you only have one elite team to take home the bacon...

Youngstown was better than SHSU last year

kalm
September 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I started a thread regarding MVFC - BSC head to heads going back a decade or so last year. Similar to MTGF's post here, it's obvious that neither conference is clearly superior. MVFC looks really good this year... Relax and enjoy the ride .

ngineer
September 19th, 2014, 07:31 PM

Oh, I think many a woman channeled him....(;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I think many a woman channeled him....(;-)