PDA

View Full Version : UNI to Hawaii

paward
September 15th, 2014, 10:08 AM
UNI did well in this game. A lot has to be said for playing a FBS team and getting to go to Hawaii. We have gone to Duke, UVA, Vandy and Wake. Nice schools but no scenery. Wonder did the guys get some beach time in? If so good going all the way around.

Twentysix
September 15th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I was wondering this too. What exactly does a trip to Hawaii entail for a visiting football team?

If it is just a 15 hour flight to and from and the game, that blows.

Also, how early in the week did the UNI FBall team fly to Hawaii?

JayJ79
September 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM
UNI did well in this game. A lot has to be said for playing a FBS team and getting to go to Hawaii. We have gone to Duke, UVA, Vandy and Wake. Nice schools but no scenery. Wonder did the guys get some beach time in? If so god going all the way around.

the way both offenses played in that game, I think the game might have been played on the beach, slowed down by sand.
there was something like a combined 24 punts.

BEAR
September 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I'm sure they got some sun time! UCA went there a few years ago and lost 25-20.

Most of the Bears enjoyed the tour of the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Gave those kids a moment to reflect on how important football is compared to life. xnodx

Good effort UNI...

Twentysix
September 15th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Maybe wars should be decided on the football field. ;)

JayJ79
September 15th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I was wondering this too. What exactly does a trip to Hawaii entail for a visiting football team?

If it is just a 15 hour flight to and from and the game, that blows.

Also, how early in the week did the UNI FBall team fly to Hawaii?

The first group left at something like 5:30 a.m. last Wednesday (Iowa time), bussed up to Minneapolis, flew to LAX w/ a layover, then the flight to the islands, with the first group arriving at 5:30 p.m.Wednesday Hawaii time, or 10:30 p.m Iowa time, with the second group arriving 3 hours later. At least that was the itinerary. They flew commercial, instead of their usual charter flight.

I don't know what all they did aside from football on the trip, other than i know that they all visited the Pearl Harbor memorial

paward
September 15th, 2014, 10:33 AM
One more thought. To fly 80 people at $500 each would be around 40 thousand. I have been there once and the cost of rooms and food is steep. I wonder if the payday was close to breaking even.

BEAR
September 15th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Hawaii paid UCA a few hundred thousand, bought all the plane tickets, hotel and meals. Talk about a NICE payday!

superman7515
September 15th, 2014, 11:16 AM
the way both offenses played in that game, I think the game might have been played on the beach, slowed down by sand.
there was something like a combined 24 punts.

Yeah, it was actually a pretty bad football game. Another one where the score doesn't tell the story.

clenz
September 15th, 2014, 01:20 PM
One more thought. To fly 80 people at $500 each would be around 40 thousand. I have been there once and the cost of rooms and food is steep. I wonder if the payday was close to breaking even.
Hawaii paid 125K for the game
Paid for room, travel and board, for 75 people
Paid for an equipment plane/truck as well.

UNI took more than 75, but still walked out with cash.

paward
September 15th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Hawaii paid 125K for the game
Paid for room, travel and board, for 75 people
Paid for an equipment plane/truck as well.

UNI took more than 75, but still walked out with cash.

That is a great deal.

Sly Fox
September 15th, 2014, 06:50 PM
... for everyone except the hosts. Not sure how much longer they can keep this up.