PDA

View Full Version : A good article about SC I-AA’s. Charleston So. CCU SC State Furman Wofford Citadel

CSU BUCS
November 3rd, 2006, 11:23 AM
November 2, 2006

Associated Press

Charleston Southern has three weeks to impress the committee that chooses the Division I-AA playoff teams. But even three straight wins and a perfect record might not be enough.

The Buccaneers finish with three Big South Conference games, including one against Gardner-Webb this weekend. They also will face Liberty and then Coastal Carolina. But a weak schedule might do in Charleston Southern, which must make the playoff as an at-large team because the Big South doesn't have an automatic bid.

In other games Saturday involving South Carolina's small colleges, Coastal Carolina hosts Savannah State; Furman goes to Elon; The Citadel travels to Appalachian State; Wofford is at Georgia Southern; and South Carolina State plays Howard.

In North Charleston, Charleston Southern (8-0, 1-0 Big South) has more than just its 13-game winning streak on the line against Gardner-Webb (6-2, 2-0). The Buccaneers must keep winning to have any kind of argument for a playoff bid.

Charleston Southern's schedule is working against it. Even if the Buccaneers go 11-0, just seven wins will be against Division I-AA teams -- the minimum for a playoff bid.

Coach Jay Mills has said Charleston Southern had a few Division I-AA teams pull out of games with the Buccaneers after they started winning last year, although he has refused to name them.

In the short term, the Bucs may need to get some help running the ball. They average just 105 yards a game on the ground, while throwing for 251 yards per contest. Quarterback Collin Draft is both Charleston Southern's top rusher and passer.

The Bulldogs have struggled to stop the run, allowing 187 yards a game on the ground, while allowing just 193 yards on the ground.

If Charleston Southern can beat Gardner-Webb and knock off Liberty a week later, it could set up a winner-takes-a-playoff-bid final game with Coastal Carolina.

But the Chanticleers (6-2) first must get past Savannah State (1-6) this week in Conway and a game at Gardner-Webb next week.

Coastal Carolina has won all three times they have played the Tigers, including a 42-16 win last year even though Savannah State gained 384 yards to the Chanticleers 273 yards.

Savannah State broke a 19-game losing streak earlier this year, but the Tigers have still struggled. They are averaging just over nine points a game, while allowing more than 31 points per contest.

Even though Coastal Carolina has two losses, its playoff resume is a lot better this season because of a tougher schedule. The Chanticleers have beat Wofford, South Carolina State and Furman.

In Elon, N.C., Furman (6-3, 4-1 Southern Conference) takes on Elon (4-4, 2-3) knowing the playoff formula is simple.

"We win two, we're in. We don't, we're sitting home for the holidays," Paladins coach Bobby Lamb said.

Beating the Phoenix and Georgia Southern a week later will give Furman the required seven Division I-AA wins. It also would give them just one loss in the powerful Southern Conference, likely solidifying an at-large bid.

The Paladins have to shake off a 40-7 loss last week to No. 1 Appalachian State and get past injuries. Ten players didn't practice Monday, including fullback Jerome Felton. Felton should play Saturday, Lamb said.

As for his team's psyche, Lamb only showed them the first half of last week's blowout, ending the tape with the Paladins down just 14-7 to the Mountaineers at the break.

Furman has had it easy with Elon, winning six in a row and nine of 10 all time. But this might be the best Phoenix team since Elon joined the SoCon in 2003.

The Phoenix have already matched their best conference mark with two wins and lead the league with 264 yards passing a game.

In Boone, N.C., The Citadel (3-5, 3-2 SoCon) will try to follow up one of its biggest wins in recent memory with what would be an even bigger victory over Appalachian State (8-1, 5-0).

The Bulldogs just beat Georgia Southern, although that win isn't as impressive as it would be most years with the Eagles on their way to missing the playoffs for just the second time in 10 years.

A win over the Mountaineers would have no qualifier. The defending national champions have won blowouts (56-21 over Chattanooga) and tight games (27-20 in two overtimes against Georgia Southern) and are coming off a 40-7 win over Furman in what was supposed to be the SoCon game of the year.

"They are peaking, They are hitting on all cylinders. That was an outstanding football game they played. I think in every phase, offensively, defensively, special teams," Citadel coach Kevin Higgins said.

The Mountaineers have a 23-game home winning streak and the Bulldogs haven't won in Boone since 1992.

In Statesboro, Ga., Wofford (4-4, 3-2 SoCon) is playing Georgia Southern (3-5, 2-3) in what would have been one of the biggest games of the season a few years ago.

But both teams have fallen on hard times. The Terriers will miss the playoffs for the third year in a row, while a loss would ensure the Eagles of only their second losing season since bringing back football in 1982.

With the season unraveling, Georgia Southern coach Brian VanGorder said playing Wofford and its option attack should get his team's attention.

"We need a special focus each week. Their scheme will force a special focus," VanGorder said.

In Orangeburg, South Carolina State (4-4, 3-2 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) will try to bounce back against Howard (3-5, 3-2).

The Bulldogs lost 10-9 last week to Delaware State, knocking them out of the MEAC and playoff race.

South Carolina State is allowing just under 119 yard rushing a game, while the Bison run for 122 yards a game while passing for 180 yards per contest.

MarkCCU
November 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
good article! thanks

Ol Blue
November 3rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
That article pretty much sums it up. I'm going to the CSU game this weekend.

CSUBUCDAD
November 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
That article pretty much sums it up. I'm going to the CSU game this weekend.

And it is going to be a wild one for sure. I am getting there around 11:30 or so for some tailgating fun and communion.