PDA

View Full Version : Southern vs. Eligibility: The Saga Continues

FYI85
September 15th, 2014, 01:57 AM
For the second time in three weeks, Southern had to hold multiple starters out of the game because of eligibility issues.

http://bit.ly/1qCXEqi

OhioHen
September 15th, 2014, 06:28 AM
And Southern ISN'T one of the SWAC schools ineligible due to APR problems! xsmhx

bonarae
September 15th, 2014, 07:02 AM
And Southern ISN'T one of the SWAC schools ineligible due to APR problems! xsmhx

Although they still are due to another reason: unusable data... xsmhx

PV_Sigma7
September 15th, 2014, 04:56 PM
How are players declared eligible at the beginning of the season, play in two games, and then find out the 3rd game that they've been de-certified??? Still trying to figure this one out.

BluBengal07
September 16th, 2014, 09:00 AM
their former administration really pulled a number on them. they should lay lower to make sure this current admin is handling things correctly. they're still walking on ice on a sunny day, it seems.

Panther88
September 16th, 2014, 10:16 AM
How are players declared eligible at the beginning of the season, play in two games, and then find out the 3rd game that they've been de-certified??? Still trying to figure this one out.

It's almost mind-boggling. Minutes before kickoff in the last game and an hour or so pre-game during the first game? Some already played in 2 games prior? I thought the certification process was supposed to actually start pre-season. (?) I can only imagine the # of (support staff) heads that should be rolling surrounding this fiasco. Some are seriously dropping the ball, no pun intended.

813Jag
September 16th, 2014, 10:41 AM
It's almost mind-boggling. Minutes before kickoff in the last game and an hour or so pre-game one during the first game? Some already played in 2 games prior? I thought the certification process was supposed to actually start pre-season. (?) I can only imagine the # of (support staff) heads that should be rolling surrounding this fiasco. Some are seriously dropping the ball, no pun intended.
and surprisingly (well not really) those in power refuse to speak up on the issue. 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary were pulled on Saturday. Hopefully we'll bring enough players to PV on Saturday. xsmhx

dgtw
September 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM
My son is a senior in high school and is considering playing college sports. (Not football). His coach told us back in the spring to register with the NCAA clearinghouse. We have already sent them a transcript of his grades and they will get his ACT scores when he takes it next month.

If a player has not been cleared by now, it isn't all on the school.

Panther88
September 16th, 2014, 11:06 AM

I agree but the school is required to submit required and accurate data/paperwork in a timely fashion in order to have those who are eligible certified, correct? xreadx

PV_Sigma7
September 16th, 2014, 11:28 AM
and surprisingly (well not really) those in power refuse to speak up on the issue. 3 of the 4 starters in the secondary were pulled on Saturday. Hopefully we'll bring enough players to PV on Saturday. xsmhx

That's what most troubling about this. Why would you say a kid is eligible and then turn around 2 whole games later and say he's not? Leads me to believe they weren't eligible in the first place. Someone just didn't want to tell the truth three weeks ago. I wonder now if there are more players that are in this position??

PV_Sigma7
September 16th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I agree but the school is required to submit required and accurate data/paperwork in a timely fashion in order to have those who are eligible certified, correct? xreadx

True. If the paperwork isn't accurate after three weeks, what paperwork did you verify before the season began to say "Coach, these guys are good..." ??

DFW HOYA
September 16th, 2014, 11:33 AM
My son is a senior in high school and is considering playing college sports. (Not football). His coach told us back in the spring to register with the NCAA clearinghouse. We have already sent them a transcript of his grades and they will get his ACT scores when he takes it next month.

This is not a clearinghouse issue. Two of the suspended players were seniors, another a redshirt junior.

Bill
September 16th, 2014, 12:24 PM
All- it has to do with registering for classes, and then the "add/drop" process . For example, Joey fullback registers for 12 credits. Compliance gives him the OK to play. However, Joey dropped his astrophysics class after week number 2, giving him only 9 credits- Making him ineligible. He doesn't bother to tell anyone , and compliance catches it a few days later, almost by accident!

Panther88
September 16th, 2014, 12:33 PM
That's what most troubling about this. Why would you say a kid is eligible and then turn around 2 whole games later and say he's not? Leads me to believe they weren't eligible in the first place. Someone just didn't want to tell the truth three weeks ago. I wonder now if there are more players that are in this position??

It just doesn't add up.

Panther88
September 16th, 2014, 12:35 PM
All- it has to do with registering for classes, and then the "add/drop" process . For example, Joey fullback registers for 12 credits. Compliance gives him the OK to play. However, Joey dropped his astrophysics class after week number 2, giving him only 9 credits- Making him ineligible. He doesn't bother to tell anyone , and compliance catches it a few days later, almost by accident!

Is this actually what occurred?

PV_Sigma7
September 16th, 2014, 02:26 PM

Sounds like it in this case. Maybe all three of them dropped the same course.

Bill
September 16th, 2014, 07:35 PM

I'm not sure of this specific case- but I am around compliance people quite a bit. This ALMOST happens more than you think!!!

PV_Sigma7
September 16th, 2014, 08:19 PM
A report is now out that Southern did indeed use an ineligible player in this past Saturday's game against Northwestern State. The player had sat out the first two games and thought he was cleared to finally play. His name was over read from the list of ineligibles.

rokamortis
September 16th, 2014, 08:42 PM
http://www.nola.com/southern-university/index.ssf/2014/09/southern_university_athletic_c.html

"We continue to retool and refine the eligibility certification process to make sure it is as accurate as possible,'' said Broussard, who apparently inherited a dysfunctional certification process when he arrived in the spring of 2012. "What we have found is, going back to basketball season last year, as we review our data at the university going back as far as 2003 and particularly the data going back to 2009, we continue to identify oversights, human errors which continue to impact our current student-athletes.
"As we identify those, it's not as simple as saying, 'Oh someone made a very simple mistake' and we go and correct it. It often requires us to file for reinstatement, which is a lengthy process. Getting six to 10 to a dozen supporting memos. Collect them, scanning them, submitting them to the NCAA then waiting 24, 48 sometimes 72 hours for a response. So it's not as simple as noting an inconsistency, sending an e-mail saying we fixed it.''

What a mess.

pvdogteam
September 17th, 2014, 12:17 AM

That's what I was thinking, they laugh at ole PV for moving slow and not having FBS transfers on it's team oh well they better not pull a Grambling 2013 on us Saturday

pvdogteam
September 17th, 2014, 12:19 AM

Don't see how it could be that simple, any kid should know if they at least have 12 hours of classes or whatever their minimum is smh

813Jag
September 17th, 2014, 07:08 AM
That's what I was thinking, they laugh at ole PV for moving slow and not having FBS transfers on it's team oh well they better not pull a Grambling 2013 on us Saturday
Don't worry the Jags will be there to fill your stadium (gotta have a little laugh to get thru this mess)

813Jag
September 17th, 2014, 07:10 AM
doesn't really clear things up, but this does shed a little light:
http://theadvocate.com/sports/10291223-123/another-southern-player-in-limbo

BluBengal07
September 17th, 2014, 02:46 PM
good "timely" luck xeyebrowx

Panther88
September 17th, 2014, 03:31 PM
A massive cleaning(terminations) is overdue. xreadx

813Jag
September 17th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Totally agree

pvdogteam
September 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM

You are exactly right

bluedog
September 20th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Welp... looks like we were eligible enough to kick y'all ass AGAIN. 19718

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Panther88
September 21st, 2014, 12:25 AM
Welp... looks like we were eligible enough to kick y'all ass AGAIN. 19718

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

lol Funny w/ the post de facto game trash talk, considering you & others of your "brand" mysteriously developed laryngitis of the fingers while the media was dragging su through the rightful mud these last few weeks; glad to know you ppl are still alive over there lol.

See you guys in 2016 in our NEW stadium w/ our NEW & IMPROVED student-athletes. ;)