PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Southern Conference Power Rankings - Week 4

ElCid
September 14th, 2014, 05:14 PM
The rankings are still difficult as the SOCON still plays questionable opponents.

1 - Chattanooga - Easily vaults to the top spot after a pretty good showing, albeit against a pretty weak opponent. But at least it was an FCS opponent.
2 - Samford - I was scratching my head thinking Wofford or Western next. After watching both yesterday, I decided neither. Samford had an outing against a medium Div II Stillman and took care of business.
3 - The Citadel - I was somewhat hesitant to move my Dogs up so far without even playing, but that prevented them from at least looking bad. I don't care that WCU and Wofford won, they both looked dismal, along with Furman, against mediocre teams.
4 - Wofford - I will give them the edge over Western only because they had the rain delay to contend with. But they did not look good at all against a run of the mill Div II team. I mean, we are not talking about Reinhardt here.xlolx N Greenville slashed the ankle biters for 370 yards through the air.
5 - Western Carolina - They are learning how to win again but Western has issues. Catawba is another run of the mill Div II team and had 4 turnovers and still outgained Western slightly. Can anyone say defense?
6 - Furman - Granted it must have been difficult with the rain delay and then playing in the fog bowl, but there is no way Furman should have lost to the Hose. No Offense at all. Their Defense is good enough to win the SOCON, their Offense will not cut it.
7 (T) - Mercer - I did not think there was a worse Div I team than Davidson. Stetson might be it. Still, Mercer took care of business handily. I need to see them against someone other than patsies and Furman before moving them up.
7 (T) - VMI - Had the game against Davidson well in hand all day. Between the two of them they had 1100+ yards of offense, so while VMI can move the ball, they can't stop it either. They got a pretty good QB. Anyone who looks last them might get stomped.

We will only have slightly more fidelity on the rankings after this week.

VMI @ Samford - I think this could be closer than folks expect. VMI has some offensive weapons. 44-27
The Citadel @ Charleston Southern- Why we ever agreed to play in the glorified high school stadium I will never understand. While I make every home game, I will not make the long drive to Charleston for an away game, with my lawn chair in hand, and hope to find a patch of grass to watch from. Shame really, because the Dogs are going to shred the Baptists for two reasons, 1) revenge for last year and 2) for making us play in a dumpy field, I won't call it a stadium. Dogs will grind out 400+ rushing yds. 42-14
Wofford @ Gardner -Webb - Wofford needs to buckle down or they are toast. They will have a little revenge on their minds. Luckily for Wofford, G-W's offense is an anemic as Wofford's defense. Unless it rains again....33-17
Ave Maria @ Mercer - Did someone complain about SOCON scheduling??? xeyebrowx Massey does rank Ave Maria higher than Stetson...so we are improving. 52-0
Furman @ SC St - I think Furman gets its act together, just a bit. 17-13

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2014, 06:04 PM
You know, Wofford has issues on pass defense, but I don't think NGU's pass yardage necessarily indicates something too bad. They are a run and gun team. Unfortunately for the Socon, with the exception of maybe Samford or Western Carolina (maybe), no one is going to pass the ball as many times as they

ElCid
September 14th, 2014, 06:25 PM
You know, Wofford has issues on pass defense, but I don't think NGU's pass yardage necessarily indicates something too bad. They are a run and gun team. Unfortunately for the Socon, with the exception of maybe Samford or Western Carolina (maybe), no one is going to pass the ball as many times as they

I thought that too, and maybe it will turn out that way, but here are the stats so far. Granted the opponents were mostly above or below FCS, so who knows once we all settle down into the Conf games.

Team
G (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=500)
Att/G (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=531)
Comp/G (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=532)
Pct (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=533)
PassYds
Y/G (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=521)
TD (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=516)
Int (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=3)
1stD (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=520)
Long (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=6)
Sack (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=7)
YdsL (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Passing&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=8)

Virginia Military (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/vve)

Western Carolina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/wwi)

Mercer (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/mercer)

Furman (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/ffg)

Chattanooga (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/cas)

Samford (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/sks)

Wofford (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/wwp)

Citadel (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/cck)

woffordgrad94
September 14th, 2014, 07:41 PM
1. Chattanooga: I still put them tops in what is shaping up to be a weak league. They have the best overall team.
2. The Citadel: Having the 0-2 Bulldogs ranked so high shows what I think of the SoCon so far. But they have played well agains two tough foes.
3. Samford: I think the Bulldogs will continue to improve as the season goes on and will contend for the conference auto bid.
4. Western Carolina: An improved team in a regressing league. But still has some issues to iron out on defense.
5. Furman: The offensive challenged Paladins may easily be the league's most disappointing team. Perhaps Hannon's absence hurts more than originally thought.
6. Wofford: Offense is improved but defense is a disaster right now. Teams pass at will. The Terriers will struggle unless this is fixed.
7. Mercer: I think the Bears will pull an upset at some point this season. They are definitely headed in a good direction, but still need time.
8. VMI: They will not be pushovers for anyone- no one in this league can afford to look past anyone right now.

Samford 45, VMI 24: Again, don't sleep on the Keydets
The Citadel 31, Charleston Southern 10: The Bulldogs should get their first win.
Gardner-Webb 24, Wofford 21: Close game goes to home team.
SC State 14, Furman 10: ditto
Mercer 56, Ave Maria 20: no comment

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 14th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I went 6-1 last week as Furman let me down. A late surge by Wofford prevented them from losing to a team nobody in the SoCon is supposed to lose to.
This is where I have it after this week:

1) Chattanooga - opened up a can of whoop on Austin Peay
2) Western Carolina - now 2-0 against the SAC
3) Samford - Bulldogs do what was expected
4) Wofford - came close to ending up at rock bottom
5) Furman - Presbyterian are you kidding me?
6) Mercer - manhandled relative newbie Stetson
7) The Citadel - out of action this week
8) VMI - beat the worst team in D1
ETSU - picked up their second win against a P5 team (Georgia Tech) in women's volleyball in as many seasons

Predictions
VMI @ Samford - Bulldogs manhandle Keydets
The Citadel @ Charleston Southern - Bulldogs fall to 0-2 against the Big South
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb - Not feeling Wofford against Gardner-Webb
Ave Maria @ Mercer (Beatdown of the Week) - Bears maul Ave Maria
Furman @ South Carolina State (Game of the Week) - Paladins hammer Bulldogs

kdinva
September 14th, 2014, 08:38 PM
The rankings are still difficult as the SOCON still plays questionable opponents.

7 (T) - VMI - Had the game against Davidson well in hand all day. Between the two of them they had 1100+ yards of offense, so while VMI can move the ball, they can't stop it either. They got a pretty good QB. Anyone who looks last them might get stomped.

If the Keydets don't get their act together on defense..........ouch. Believe it or not, Davidson had more total offense than did Bowling Green vs. VMI. xbawlingx

Against BGSU, VMI blew three scoring chances in their red zone, and gave up two punt returns for scores. xsmhx

citdog
September 14th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I went 6-1 last week as Furman let me down. A late surge by Wofford prevented them from losing to a team nobody in the SoCon is supposed to lose to.
This is where I have it after this week:

1) Chattanooga - opened up a can of whoop on Austin Peay
2) Western Carolina - now 2-0 against the SAC
3) Samford - Bulldogs do what was expected
4) Wofford - came close to ending up at rock bottom
5) Furman - Presbyterian are you kidding me?
6) Mercer - manhandled relative newbie Stetson
7) The Citadel - out of action this week
8) VMI - beat the worst team in D1
ETSU - picked up their second win against a P5 team (Georgia Tech) in women's volleyball in as many seasons

Predictions
VMI @ Samford - Bulldogs manhandle Keydets
The Citadel @ Charleston Southern - Bulldogs fall to 0-2 against the Big South
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb - Not feeling Wofford against Gardner-Webb
Ave Maria @ Mercer (Beatdown of the Week) - Bears maul Ave Maria
Furman @ South Carolina State (Game of the Week) - Paladins hammer Bulldogs

This is why appy fans and those yet to play a down should not participate. The above is just WRONG.

ElCid
September 14th, 2014, 08:47 PM
This is why appy fans and those yet to play a down should not participate. The above is just WRONG.

Seriously. Dogs are going to manhandle Chuck South.

ElCid
September 14th, 2014, 08:49 PM
If the Keydets don't get their act together on defense..........ouch. Believe it or not, Davidson had more total offense than did Bowling Green vs. VMI. xbawlingx

Against BGSU, VMI blew three scoring chances in their red zone, and gave up two punt returns for scores. xsmhx

I watched a good bit of both games, and I am worried about Nov. If VMI cleans it up defensively, I think you will surprise one or two folks this season.

SU DOG
September 14th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure that the word POWER should even be used in the same sentence with "Southern Conference". xbawlingx Hopefully something will emerge that brings us some respect. UTC is still on top IMO, but who knows? If anyone ranks Samford #2, it must be by the process of elimination. Our FBS game was a debacle, and the second game was against a VERY weak D-2, so we don't really know where we stand. I do know that the talent is there for Samford to be competitive with any team in the SoCon, but lots of other factors are always involved.

I think we should beat VMI, but I would caution against picking a big point spread. IF, and I do mean IF we are the better team Saturday, I would expect our coaches to be very vanilla since the UTC Game is the following week at Chatty. Will having next week off be a help for the Mocs? I have seen it work both ways, so I dunno. Don't sleep on VMI, however, will definitely be our theme. Good QB and huge line. Keydets may be tougher than some think. Also we aren't good enough to overlook anybody right now. Our team needs time to gel, but time is short.

chattownmocs
September 14th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Chattanooga's offensive line was outplayed by Austin Peay's dline. Quite alarming once again. Fortunately everyone seems to have major issues.

ElCid
September 14th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure that the word POWER should even be used in the same sentence with "Southern Conference". xbawlingx Hopefully something will emerge that brings us some respect. UTC is still on top IMO, but who knows? If anyone ranks Samford #2, it must be by the process of elimination. Our FBS game was a debacle, and the second game was against a VERY weak D-2, so we don't really know where we stand. I do know that the talent is there for Samford to be competitive with any team in the SoCon, but lots of other factors are always involved.

Samford has always been somewhat of an enigma. You have had talent, there is no doubt on that. But just when I think you will roll, you stumble. Most teams worry about the players staying healthy, maybe you should worry about your coach staying healthy.xeyebrowx

SU DOG
September 14th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Samford has always been somewhat of an enigma. You have had talent, there is no doubt on that. But just when I think you will roll, you stumble. Most teams worry about the players staying healthy, maybe you should worry about your coach staying healthy.xeyebrowx

Coach Sullivan has definitely struggled health wise recently. We are praying for his improvement. Coach is a fighter, however, or he would not be alive today.

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2014, 09:33 PM
So wait, going up 42-20 not even through the 4th qualifies as a late surge?

You know, by this logic, no FBS teams that play FCS teams close but eventually pull away should ever be ranked, even though it happens frequently

OrangeAndBlack
September 14th, 2014, 09:49 PM
1) Chattanooga - Clearly in position to seize control -- but can they do it?
2) Samford - Yet to prove it, but I'm still a believer.
3) Furman - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but they'll have to prove me wrong in this week's matchup to stay here.
4) The Citadel - Recent history would indicate they'll at least beat WCU, VMI, Elon, and Appalachian State. Oh wait...
5) Wofford - Another team that we will know a lot more about after this week.
6) Western Carolina - Looked good against USF, but the Bulls are absolute garbage. Catawba gave WCU a scare for a long while. Not sure what to think of WCU... My instinct says they are clearly bottom half (and history is tough to argue against).
7) Mercer - Mopped up Stetson, who resurrected football the same year that Mercer did. A SoCon win is coming soon...
8) VMI - Overshadowed in their win, VMI allowed 500+ yards to Davidson. Let's not forget that the only team Davidson beat in recent history -- doesn't exist.
ETSU - First public scrimmage coming up soon.

Predictions
VMI @ Samford - Home field and a superior team (on paper). Can VMI throw their way to a win? Better get some defense if so.
The Citadel @ Charleston Southern - Campbell was leading CSU at the half last week. The Citadel shouldn't have a problem here.
Wofford @ Gardner Webb - Wofford can't lose to a team that can't score. Former A-Sun rival is toast in this one.
Ave Maria @ Mercer - The Bears send Ave Maria to 0-3 by the final score of 63-0.
Furman @ South Carolina State - It took an INT returned for a TD and a punt return for a TD for Furman to win 30-20 last year. Hannon could only muster 3 completions. I don't think Woodruff is ready for this one. Third straight road game for Furman is what concerns me.

FCSfan
September 14th, 2014, 09:52 PM

I think we should beat VMI, but I would caution against picking a big point spread. IF, and I do mean IF we are the better team Saturday, I would expect our coaches to be very vanilla since the UTC Game is the following week at Chatty. Will having next week off be a help for the Mocs? I have seen it work both ways, so I dunno. Don't sleep on VMI, however, will definitely be our theme. Good QB and huge line. Keydets may be tougher than some think. Also we aren't good enough to overlook anybody right now. Our team needs time to gel, but time is short.

i agree wholeheartedly with su dog. This thread should be "proven thus far" and not a power ranking.

chatty has proven they aren't the dominant force previously thought
vmi has proven they're improving but slowly
samford and citadel haven't proved anything yet
wofford has proven they have no identity or formidable defense
furman has proven they're a defensive team with an atrocious offense
mercer has proven they're a newcomer but so so
western has proven they're closer to legitimate than most want to believe

i'm ready to see somebody, anybody prove that they possess any power whatsoever

Mocs123
September 14th, 2014, 10:55 PM
1. Chattanooga. We still have problems on Offense, but the defense is solid.
2. Samford. Not sure what to expect yet, but are talented.
3. Wofford. Had a scare this week, but hold on to the #3 spot.
4. Furman. Maybe I am bumping them too far, this is still a talented team, and may put it together late like last years squad.
5. Citadel. Bulldogs will spoil someones chance at a championship this year.
6. Western Carolina. This is a team that is getting better, and more dangerous. They will not be winless in the SoCon this season.
7. VMI. The Keydets have proved they can move the ball, but they cant stop anyone either. This is a dangerous team as well, if some team is caught napping.
8. Mercer. Mercer has some talent, and will not stay at the bottom of the conference for long.
9. ETSU.

Predictions

VMI 35
Samford 42

The Citadel 24
Charleston Southern 17

Wofford 45
Gardner-Webb 31

Ave Maria 10
Mercer 63

Furman 17
South Carolina State 14

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Honestly, criticisms of Wofford's defense: Valid

Criticisms of Wofford's offense as lacking identity: Invalid.

I mean the only thing that lacks identity is who will be the runner to consistently run the ball for 100+ yards as 2 different running backs of done that this year

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 05:07 AM
I'm not reading terribly much into the PC game. You give a team enough cracks at you, eventually they will find a way to beat you. No question Furman should have beaten them, and it is inexcusable to the fans not to, but you go on the road in nasty weather with a team not playing well against a group who consistently plays you tough every year. I was surprised we lost. I was not shocked.

That said, I am pretty confident our defense is championship caliber. It does give me some solace going forward knowing that teams are struggling to score on Furman. I don't really see that changing. I imagine Furman will have a decent chance to win most game going forward for that reason alone.

The offense, though, is killing us. At least half of the four touchdowns Furman's defense has surrendered have come directly off late-game turnovers by the offense. Unfortunately, Furman is wasting a heckuva defense off an incompetent offense. I never expected the Showtime Lakers, but even if you could just be anemic and score 17 I think that'd give Furman a pretty solid chance to win.

kdinva
September 15th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Friends of mine who attended said Sparky played the "2's" on Defense the last 20 or so minutes, and played the basic of defenses.....still no excuse to allow about 200 yards of offense during that time frame.

OL FU
September 15th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Still no clue how to rank the teams.

VMI
Samford

The Citadel
Charleston Southern

I hope I am wrong, but not real sure I have seen any reason to believe the results will be different from last year. I will be happy for The Citadel to prove me wrong.

Wofford
Gardner-Webb

If Gardner Webb can pass, this one may be different.

Ave Maria
Mercer

I have a difficult time picking against the mother of God but..........

Furman
South Carolina State

Final score will be 6-3 not sure who will have the 6.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not reading terribly much into the PC game. You give a team enough cracks at you, eventually they will find a way to beat you. No question Furman should have beaten them, and it is inexcusable to the fans not to, but you go on the road in nasty weather with a team not playing well against a group who consistently plays you tough every year. I was surprised we lost. I was not shocked.

That said, I am pretty confident our defense is championship caliber. It does give me some solace going forward knowing that teams are struggling to score on Furman. I don't really see that changing. I imagine Furman will have a decent chance to win most game going forward for that reason alone.

The offense, though, is killing us. At least half of the four touchdowns Furman's defense has surrendered have come directly off late-game turnovers by the offense. Unfortunately, Furman is wasting a heckuva defense off an incompetent offense. I never expected the Showtime Lakers, but even if you could just be anemic and score 17 I think that'd give Furman a pretty solid chance to win.

I wouldn't read too much into the game either except for the fact that it was a repeat of the first two except that there was an L attached.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 06:51 AM
This stat shocked me. Furman has surrendered 33 points in three games against D-1 competition (11 ppg). 26 of those 33 points have come off turnovers.

What is infuriating is that our offense is not only inept at scoring, but is also turning the ball over and compromising the defense. I imagine Furman could have won that game simply by taking a knee three times and punting on every possession in the second half.

It truly is bad when your best offensive play is "any play that doesn't turn it over."

OL FU
September 15th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I am struggling to figure it out. I think part is the o-line at this point isn't what we hoped. at the same time, Defenses are stacking the box as they should to prevent the run. We then don't seem to have the ability to sustain a drive with passes (even the GW game with Hannon in) to make the defenses move back. As you said, if we don't figure this out. it is going to be a long and disappointing year. Hopefully it won't be.

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Furman's "D-1 competition" has been dreadful.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Furman's "D-1 competition" has been dreadful.

Hardly. I'm not suggesting that Gardner Webb, PC, and Mercer are a gauntlet of giants, but they are a hekcuva lot tougher than North Greenville, Stillman, Davidson, and whatever cooking school some of these other conference schools are playing. These are respectable teams from auto-bid conferences.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I am struggling to figure it out. I think part is the o-line at this point isn't what we hoped. at the same time, Defenses are stacking the box as they should to prevent the run. We then don't seem to have the ability to sustain a drive with passes (even the GW game with Hannon in) to make the defenses move back. As you said, if we don't figure this out. it is going to be a long and disappointing year. Hopefully it won't be.

From what I can see, defenses are forcing Furman to throw the football. They are not even pretending to be doing something else. I imagine every team we see will do the same thing until Furman proves it can force teams back off the line of scrimmage.

Furman is at that point where they have to do something different. This isn't just "one bad game" that everyone can look past.

What continues to boggle me is why we do not seem to be making any adjustments. Woodruff is clearly not comfortable throwing from the pocket (especially considering the overwhelming up field pressure from defenses), yet we do not seem to make an effort to get him outside. We have an army of WRs, several of whom can create offense themselves. I think we have to do whatever we can to get the football in Andrej Suttles hands, I don't even care if it is behind the LOS. Give him a chance.

I also cannot excuse why we have not seen Richard Hayes. He averaged over 5 ypc last season. I understand he's moved to defense, but our defense is loaded at nearly every position with numerous quality player. Our offense can barely get a snap off. At some point, don't you have to move him over there and see what he can create?

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Hardly. I'm not suggesting that Gardner Webb, PC, and Mercer are a gauntlet of giants, but they are a hekcuva lot tougher than North Greenville, Stillman, Davidson, and whatever cooking school some of these other conference schools are playing. These are respectable teams from auto-bid conferences.

They are complete bottom feeders in those conferences.

SU DOG
September 15th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I was watching the Furman Game and I thought for sure that the game would be over because the Paladins were moving the ball primarily straight at PC. Then inexplicably, here comes an option play resulting in a huge turnover. I'm not being critical of a coaching staff that I know nothing about, but I could not believe what I just saw. WHY pass or run an option in that soup when you are wanting to just hold on for the win? That, IMO, was the Furman gift that gave PC the win.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I was watching the Furman Game and I thought for sure that the game would be over because the Paladins were moving the ball primarily straight at PC. Then inexplicably, here comes an option play resulting in a huge turnover. I'm not being critical of a coaching staff that I know nothing about, but I could not believe what I just saw. WHY pass or run an option in that soup when you are wanting to just hold on for the win? That, IMO, was the Furman gift that gave PC the win.

I've been looking for that option play for a few week. The power option should be a safe play, but it was poorly executed.

There's a fair amount of blame going towards Furman's OC. I hate criticizing play calling, but I mean, my goodness. What the heck?

I was 100% confident that PC wasn't going to drive the field on Furman to score. PC's entire offense had been relegated to tunnel screens on 3rd and 20s. Furman was getting pressure with four and the PC QB was just trying to get rid of it. They couldn't run the ball. All the Paladins had to do was basically not cough it up in their territory and run an already tired offense back on the field.

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2014, 08:33 AM

And Presbyterian was able to find success running straight at Furman. Not saying Furman isn't good on D but I see a weakness with their tackles.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 08:34 AM
They are complete bottom feeders in those conferences.

Did you catch Central Michigan losing to Syracuse by 37?

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2014, 08:36 AM

After they killed purdue who challenged notre dame. Sketchy results all over the place. Furman has still played 3 FCS bottom feeders.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 08:37 AM
And Presbyterian was able to find success running straight at Furman. Not saying Furman isn't good on D but I see a weakness with their tackles.

Furman's biggest weakness on defense is size. They are extremely fast sideline to sideline and in the pass rush, but you can wear them down. PC's entire OL was up around 300 lbs. That wears on you in the fourth quarter when you spend all game on the field.

Granted, if we could sustain a drive and put a couple points on the board, teams would have a much tougher time wearing us down up front. No one to this point has shown an ability to throw against Furman.

OL FU
September 15th, 2014, 08:39 AM

Lots of Furman fans said the same thing. Have been looking for the option and then when we ran it the timing was "peculiar".

The larger point though is we were still in a position of being up by only 4 deep in the fourth quarter.

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2014, 08:59 AM
1. Chattanooga
2. Samford
3. Wofford
4. Western Carolina
5. The Citadel
6. Furman
7. VMI
8. Mercer

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2014, 09:10 AM
No one to this point has shown an ability to throw against Furman.

PASSING
C-A
YDS
TD
INT

John Russ (http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/fball/2014-15/players?id=ow4jnrqr9fzxwny8)
11-21

Granted, not huge yardage numbers, but 2 TD's shows some ability to throw on FU...and, if you recall, in the 4th quarter, Mercer did just overthrow by a couple of inches another receiver who was completely uncovered in the end zone...which would have added another TD & 34 yards to this total ( if only :-( ...I know IF a frog had wings, yada, yada, yada). After attending the G-W @ FU game, I was actually surprised at how open MU's receivers were on occasion. FU played Cover 1 (Man-Free) vs. G-W 90-95% of the time and stuck like glue to their WR's. I'm not sure of the exact coverage stats vs. MU, but I believe they did play a good bit more Zone coverage than they showed the prior week.

Also...PC did pass for their game-winning score. So, only 5 TD's scored against FU's D in 3 games....3 thru the air & 2 (both by Mercer) on the ground.

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2014, 09:14 AM
PASSING
C-A
YDS
TD
INT

John Russ (http://www.mercerbears.com/sports/fball/2014-15/players?id=ow4jnrqr9fzxwny8)
11-21

Granted, not huge yardage numbers, but 2 TD's shows some ability to throw on FU...and, if you recall, in the 4th quarter, Mercer did just overthrow by a couple of inches another receiver who was completely uncovered in the end zone...which would have added another TD & 34 yards to this total ( if only :-( ...I know IF a frog had wings, yada, yada, yada). After attending the G-W @ FU game, I was actually surprised at how open MU's receivers were on occasion. FU played Cover 1 (Man-Free) vs. G-W 90-95% of the time and stuck like glue to their WR's. I'm not sure of the exact coverage stats vs. MU, but I believe they did play a good bit more Zone coverage than they showed the prior week.

Also...PC did pass for their game-winning score.

Those aren't good numbers.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 09:20 AM
One of Mercer's touchdowns was on a completely busted coverage as well (perhaps Furman intended to leave a receiver alone in the endzone, but I doubt it). Still a passing touchdown, but it was not exactly a contested ball.

I am not saying Furman is going to hold every QB 0-fer. I have just seen in three games that Furman has a relentless pass rush, is giving up 113 ypg passing, and has double the number of sacks of any other team in the conference.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Those aren't good numbers.

Are these?

#14 Jacob Huesman

Rushing

Passing

Date
Opponent
no.
yds
td
lg

c-a-i
yds
td
lg

Aug 28, 2014
at Central Michigan

13-24-4

Sep 06, 2014
JACKSONVILLE STATE

9-16-0

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Are these?

#14 Jacob Huesman

Rushing

Passing

Date
Opponent
no.
yds
td
lg

c-a-i
yds
td
lg

Aug 28, 2014
at Central Michigan

13-24-4

Sep 06, 2014
JACKSONVILLE STATE

9-16-0

No. But if you think 11-21 for 135 yards is an example of being able to pass on someone at this level you are sadly mistaken.

OL FU
September 15th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Our stat sheet shows that our opponents have 26 points off turnovers this season (out of a total of 33 points). That is, nearly 80% of all of the points scored against our defense have been as a direct related to turnovers by our offense. That cannot abide. If the team is not going to score, then fine. What we cannot continue to do, though, is cough the ball up and compromise the defense.

Posted by Jackal on the uffp. Not sure I am supposed to do this so if I am not feel free to delete. Haven't verified but if so (which I have no reason not to believe), it is very telling.

citdog
September 15th, 2014, 10:26 AM

http://usbacklash.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Iraqi-Defense-Minister.jpg

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2014, 11:23 AM
http://usbacklash.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Iraqi-Defense-Minister.jpg

I miss that guy...source of hours of entertainment.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Posted by Jackal on the uffp. Not sure I am supposed to do this so if I am not feel free to delete. Haven't verified but if so (which I have no reason not to believe), it is very telling.

Second line under "scoring." http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/teamcume.htm

OL FU
September 15th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Second line under "scoring." http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/teamcume.htm

xlolx Wish I would have thought of thatxembarrassedx

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2014, 12:03 PM

Mercer scored their 1st 2 TD's against FU after KO's...following a FG in Q2 & the opening KO of the 2nd half...

4th and 5 at MER18
Hollingsworth field goal attempt from 35 GOOD, clock 10:42.

12 plays, 46 yards, 5:36 elapsed

Hollingsworth kickoff 64 yards to the MER1, Chandler Curtis return 22 yards to the MER23 (Nic McBride), PENALTY MER illegal block 10 yards to the MER13.

2nd and Goal at FUR02
Alex Lakes rush for 2 yards to the FUR0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 04:31.

Tyler Zielenske kick attempt good.

13 plays, 87 yards, 6:11 elapsed

AND

3rd

1st and 10 at MER38
Start of 3rd quarter, clock 15:00, FUR ball on FUR35.

Hollingsworth kickoff 58 yards to the MER7, Payton Usher return 20 yards to the MER27, out-of-bounds (Reggie Thomas).

1st and Goal at FUR09
John Russ pass complete to Robert Brown for 9 yards to the FUR0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 11:06.

Tyler Zielenske kick attempt good.

9 plays, 73 yards, 3:47 elapsed

....so that stat is incorrect. At least 14 points were scored NOT off of turnovers.

Also - Mercer's final TD WAS after an INT...but...

3rd and 10 at MER37
Dillon Woodruff pass intercepted by Tyler Ward at the MER30, Tyler Ward return 9 yards to the MER39 (J. Snellings).

1st and Goal at FUR07
John Russ pass complete to JT Palmer for 7 yards to the FUR0, TOUCHDOWN, clock 03:34.

John Russ rush attempt failed.

7 plays, 61 yards, 2:12 elapsed

...it wasn't as if FU turned it over deep in their own territory.

longtimemocfan
September 15th, 2014, 12:04 PM

Remember who your replying to......While PC is not a contender in the Big South they are a decent team. Conditions that the teams had to endure just created a great equalizer. Sort of what happened to Wofford when they played GWU in a driving rain last year. I think GWU is a pretty good team, but like Furman they are very defensive oriented.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Remember who your replying to......While PC is not a contender in the Big South they are a decent team. Conditions that the teams had to endure just created a great equalizer. Sort of what happened to Wofford when they played GWU in a driving rain last year. I think GWU is a pretty good team, but like Furman they are very defensive oriented.

GWU had a bunch of players on the all conference team, and returned essentially the entire squad that beat Furman, Wofford, and Richmond last season.

PC has played us tough the last three years. IMO, they are not the same team they were a few years ago.

longtimemocfan
September 15th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I don't think we have done anything to separate ourselves from the rest of the pack. We still can't run the ball consistently. I hope the coaches spend this off week to simplify the offense and find some combo in the offensive line that will make the running game more effective.

The week of 9/27 we should see a little more of what will shake down in the conference when Samford comes to town.... You also have Western @ Furman and Mercer @ VMI.

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Presbyterian hasn't won more than 4 games since 2007. They certainly aren't good this year either. The conditions were fine until late 3rd. You don't know what you are talking about.

Mocs123
September 15th, 2014, 01:07 PM

It sounds like Chattanooga and Furman are having similar issues. We both have solid defenses but suspect offensive lines (or at least young lines). We both have good backs in McCloud and Keon Williams but haven't been able to open up many holes or give the quarterbacks time to throw. Huesman has a decent arm but if he only has 2 seconds before he is covered up it doesn't really matter.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 01:14 PM
It sounds like Chattanooga and Furman are having similar issues. We both have solid defenses but suspect offensive lines (or at least young lines). We both have good backs in McCloud and Keon Williams but haven't been able to open up many holes or give the quarterbacks time to throw. Huesman has a decent arm but if he only has 2 seconds before he is covered up it doesn't really matter.

Well, it is a little more difficult to explain with UTC. Same issues, but UTC still has their junior all-conference QB under center. Furman lost theirs and has now handed the reigns to the guy that was supposed to be holding the clipboard.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Presbyterian hasn't won more than 4 games since 2007. They certainly aren't good this year either. The conditions were fine until late 3rd. You don't know what you are talking about.

No one is arguing PC is an elite football team. They play Furman tough, and have for years. We play them nearly every season. Should have beat us last year in Greenville (same Furman team, you'll recall, that made the playoffs and won the SoCon title).

PC would run (as they did the previous week) some of these no-name D2 schools that everyone keeps playing out of the stadium. They are not the New England Patriots, but they are not Stillman either.

citdog
September 15th, 2014, 01:50 PM
No one is arguing PC is an elite football team. They play Furman tough, and have for years. We play them nearly every season. Should have beat us last year in Greenville (same Furman team, you'll recall, that made the playoffs and won the SoCon title).

PC would run (as they did the previous week) some of these no-name D2 schools that everyone keeps playing out of the stadium. They are not the New England Patriots, but they are not Stillman either.

We've played two top 5 teams. So your use of EVERYONE is not accurate.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM
We've played two top 5 teams. So your use of EVERYONE is not accurate.

No, the Citadel is an exception. I was actually surprised when I saw that the Bulldogs are statistically worse offensively than Furman. Then I realized who they had played.

The only point I am making is that Furman's defense has been good. No, we haven't played Oregon, but we also have not played cupcakes. Everyone we've faced can take and deliver punches.

citdog
September 15th, 2014, 02:31 PM
No, the Citadel is an exception. I was actually surprised when I saw that the Bulldogs are statistically worse offensively than Furman. Then I realized who they had played.

The only point I am making is that Furman's defense has been good. No, we haven't played Oregon, but we also have not played cupcakes. Everyone we've faced can take and deliver punches.

The Citadel has the #1 rushing attack in the FCS right now. Pretty strong considering who the 'Dogs have faced.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2014, 02:40 PM

Wofford has scored more points on offense against FBS Georgia Tech than Furman did against any of their FCS opponents.

Essential PaladinFan, totally deflecting legitimate criticisms of Furman's suspect performance against a suspect schedule by putting his head up his ass and deflecting conversation.

As a matter of fact, I'll concede that Wofford played unimpressively last Saturday. Am I worried? Not really, but at the same time I'm not going to sustain the cognitive dissonance that seems apparent among Furman fans both at uffp and here of "well, we have the best athletes on offense in the conference, and the best defense, but man we shouldn't have lost to PC"

the season's early, the conference schedule hasn't started, and we can learn a lot about the games that have been played, Furman could win the socon, so could 5 other teams.

So, please remind me that Furman went to the playoffs last year or that Wofford played so-so against a Division II team, I pretty much expect it, because your responses are predictable, but in the mean time, it doesn't change the fact that for now, Furman has been exposed at least offensively and they should be pretty worried in comparison to other teams about the next few weeks.

Furman's offensive opponents, with the exception of maybe Mercer are average at best.

PaladinFan
September 15th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Wofford has scored more points on offense against FBS Georgia Tech than Furman did against any of their FCS opponents.

Essential PaladinFan, totally deflecting legitimate criticisms of Furman's suspect performance against a suspect schedule by putting his head up his ass and deflecting conversation.

As a matter of fact, I'll concede that Wofford played unimpressively last Saturday. Am I worried? Not really, but at the same time I'm not going to sustain the cognitive dissonance that seems apparent among Furman fans both at uffp and here of "well, we have the best athletes on offense in the conference, and the best defense, but man we shouldn't have lost to PC"

the season's early, the conference schedule hasn't started, and we can learn a lot about the games that have been played, Furman could win the socon, so could 5 other teams.

So, please remind me that Furman went to the playoffs last year or that Wofford played so-so against a Division II team, I pretty much expect it, because your responses are predictable, but in the mean time, it doesn't change the fact that for now, Furman has been exposed at least offensively and they should be pretty worried in comparison to other teams about the next few weeks.

Furman's offensive opponents, with the exception of maybe Mercer are average at best.

I think you have used "head up your ass" (or some derivation thereof) four times in your last four posts directed at me. Those are the only four times anyone has said that me in my life.

Get over yourself. Read what I am writing, not what you think I am writing. I've said multiple times Furman's offense has been atrocious. I believe we have a good defense. If you do not think so, that's your opinion.

If you want to have a reasonable debate, fine. If you want to call names, do it on someone else's time.

walliver
September 15th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Power Rankings:
1) - blank -
2) Chattanooga - They beat an actual scholarship D-I opponent, even though it is one whose athletics website is called letsgopeay.com
The next group is a toss-up
3) Samford - convincing win over a bad team
3) Western Carolina - 2 less than convincing wins over D2's
3) Furman - Hannon is missed
3) Wofford - ugly win over D2
7) Citadel - hard to rank them higher with no wins so far.
- gap here -
8) VMI - won a game
9) Mercer - probably not the worst team, but they still haven't beaten a "real D-I" - ever.

Predictions:

VMI at Samford - Samford by 21 (I don't have much of a feel for either team)
The Citadel at Charleston Southern - CSU had a breakout year last year, but have not impressed me much this year. Citpups get their first win 31-20
Wofford at Gardner-Webb - Wofford was lackadaisical last week and uninspired until after the downpour. Terriers pullout a 28-17 win.
Ave Maria at Mercer - Bears handle the Gyrenes easily 62-14, but don't move up in my poll.
Furman at SC State - probably the best game of the week, but Oliver Dawson is a tough place to play and SC State pulls out a 17-14 win.

ElCid
September 15th, 2014, 05:05 PM

In what regard? Maybe in total offense, but you have another game on us. Our Yds/game is almost 50 more than Furman. Points/gm are close; 1st downs and 3rd down % are both higher. Considering our opponents so far, I can live with the output. But it will go up. What strikes me is UTC at 239 yds/gm. Yikes!

Just saying....

Team
G (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=500)
Pts/G (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=537)
Yds/G
PassYds (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=515)
RushYds (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=508)
1stD/G (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=527)
3rdM (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=502)
3rdD% (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=525)
4thM (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=504)
4thD% (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=526)
Pen (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=505)
PenYds (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam?cat1=offense&cat2=Total&conference=I-AA_SOUTH&year=2014&sort=506)

Virginia Military (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/vve)

Mercer (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/mercer)

Western Carolina (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/wwi)

Wofford (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/wwp)

Citadel (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/cck)

Samford (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/sks)

Furman (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/ffg)

Chattanooga (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/cas)

CSU18
September 15th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Not real sure how/why you think Citadel is any good??? What have they proven in the past 12 months?

Millwoch
September 15th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Not real sure how/why you think Citadel is any good??? What have they proven in the past 12 months?

You may might be right CSU. But let me tell you one thing, we will bring an attitude up to Ladson this weekend we haven't seen in awhile from a Citadel team. Can you hold us under 400 yds rushing this weekend. My prediction is no. Now can we stop you guys? I guess we will see. I just hope everyone up the road is as confident as you.

Reign of Terrier
September 15th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I think you have used "head up your ass" (or some derivation thereof) four times in your last four posts directed at me. Those are the only four times anyone has said that me in my life.

Get over yourself. Read what I am writing, not what you think I am writing. I've said multiple times Furman's offense has been atrocious. I believe we have a good defense. If you do not think so, that's your opinion.

If you want to have a reasonable debate, fine. If you want to call names, do it on someone else's time.

The fact that someone points out a problem with Furman and your only response is to change the subject to make their team look bad when that isn't necessary is peak head-up-your-ass territory

SU DOG
September 15th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Maybe we can all get a grin from what Ole Jeff has to say.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140915/PC0306/140919625/1032/

citdog
September 15th, 2014, 06:54 PM

We'll be better than point university. Whoever the hell that is.

ElCid
September 15th, 2014, 06:57 PM

Where oh where to start. We played 11 games after we gave you a W to start last year. You are welcome for that boost of confidence it must have given you. During those 11 games we went 5-6. 4 of those loses were by 1 score or less. Only Clemson crushed us and Wofford was by 2 scores. Not real good but we were in every game but the Clemson one. So far this year we have faced the # 1 FBS and #6 FCS team. One a 25 point game and the other a 15 point game. Again, not great, but not too shabby, especially with an entirely new coaching staff. What have the Dogs proven? At the very least they will be competitive with every FCS opponent.

I would not be too full of yourselves. While the victories over the Dogs, App St, and CCU looked good last year, that was all you had. Everyone else was garbage except for Col, G-W and Liberty and you got smacked by them. And this year does not look too impressive so far. Victories over Point, Newberry and Campbell are not exactly a glowing resume. You best be ready for a beat down come Saturday.

OrangeAndBlack
September 15th, 2014, 07:06 PM

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Excellent analysis. Go Bears!

CSU18
September 15th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Love how all of a sudden the Citadel is counting L's this year as proving something. SMH

citdog
September 15th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Love how all of a sudden the Citadel is counting L's this year as proving something. SMH

I like our schedule much better than yours. At least with The Citadel at your 'Stadium' they'll be more than 35 people at one of your games.

CSU18
September 15th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I'm not claiming that we have anything this year - I just think it's hilarious that all of a sudden y'all are legit. I agree, our schedule sucks, but all we can do is play the games and hopefully win the ones we should. We're 2-5 against you, and y'all are counting 2 victories against our club team in the early 90's.

citdog
September 15th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I'm not claiming that we have anything this year - I just think it's hilarious that all of a sudden y'all are legit. I agree, our schedule sucks, but all we can do is play the games and hopefully win the ones we should. We're 2-5 against you, and y'all are counting 2 victories against our club team in the early 90's.

We don't have to be legit to beat you. I have no idea what you are talking about with the 90's games. I don't recall seeing you on the schedule then.

ElCid
September 15th, 2014, 07:47 PM

We have never been illegit.

You mean the early 2000s, we never played in the 90s. 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 12, 13.

citdog
September 15th, 2014, 07:52 PM
We have never been illegit.

You mean the early 2000s, we never played in the 90s. 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 12, 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-CMeYfSihk

OrangeAndBlack
September 15th, 2014, 07:59 PM

I learned quickly that the slightest reference to The Citadel not winning by a minimum of 3 touchdowns is a bad idea.

ElCid
September 15th, 2014, 08:11 PM
I learned quickly that the slightest reference to The Citadel not winning by a minimum of 3 touchdowns is a bad idea.

Really? Why is that? I have always been pretty honest about our chances. I was correct in picking CCU and FSU.xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 15th, 2014, 08:39 PM

Not against Rheinhardt. Those guys are TOUGH!

BearDownMU
September 15th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I thought for a second this conversation was going to turn to average attendance. And y'all DON'T WANT TO GO THAT ROUTE!!!

BEARS RULE!

lololololololol!

OrangeAndBlack
September 15th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Not against Rheinhardt. Those guys are TOUGH!

Truer words have never been spoken.

FUBeAR
September 15th, 2014, 08:51 PM

Good idea - always enjoy his writing and take on all things SoCon....yep...good article....but....

There has not been a Division II in NAIA Football in almost 20 years and the school Mercer plays this Saturday was founded 11 years ago...so, um, they aren't and never have been NAIA Division II in football. Don't make me whip out my NAIA stick and start beating you with it Mr. Hartsell xsmiley_wix

Also....This is Ave Maria University
http://ceccicontractor.com/wp-content/gallery/ave-maria/ave-maria-arial.jpg

...and this is Ava Gardner
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UTGSUYPC2N4/SwYpYYKXXdI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/8aRXaK-ovxk/s1600/ava+gardner01.bmp
....completely different subjects

ElCid
September 15th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Good idea - always enjoy his writing and take on all things SoCon....yep...good article....but....

There has not been a Division II in NAIA Football in almost 20 years and the school Mercer plays this Saturday was founded 11 years ago...so, um, they aren't and never have been NAIA Division II in football. Don't make me whip out my NAIA stick and start beating you with it Mr. Hartsell xsmiley_wix

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UTGSUYPC2N4/SwYpYYKXXdI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/8aRXaK-ovxk/s1600/ava+gardner01.bmp

In all fairness to Jeff, Wikipedia has them listed as NAIA Div II. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ave_Maria_University#Athletics

And for the record, I will take this one.

chattownmocs
September 15th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I thought for a second this conversation was going to turn to average attendance. And y'all DON'T WANT TO GO THAT ROUTE!!!

BEARS RULE!

lololololololol!

Why?

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Why?

Because they have averaged about 12,000 so far this season and the Citadel only had 10,000 vs CCU.

Of course, a Citadel fan could point out that for the season last year, the Bulldogs averaged over 13,000 and the Bear Cubs averaged less than 10,000.

BearDownMU
September 15th, 2014, 09:10 PM
I would prefer to discuss this as a percentage of capacity.

:D

walliver
September 15th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Because they have averaged about 12,000 so far this season and the Citadel only had 10,000 vs CCU.

Of course, a Citadel fan could point out that for the season last year, the Bulldogs averaged over 13,000 and the Bear Cubs averaged less than 10,000.

What makes the Citadel's attendance even more impressive is that their fans actually pay to go to games their team is likely to lose.

On the other hand, when I went to the Wofford-Citadel game last year, they were giving away free tickets at the gate and even threw in a fireworks show at the end.

BearDownMU
September 15th, 2014, 09:14 PM
On the other hand, we just refuse to give opponents more than the mandated allotment and watch their panties twist. lol

ElCid
September 15th, 2014, 09:16 PM

It was low, but our one game was also on a holiday weekend. It seemed much more than the 10800 reported. It will go up. I think they may be not reporting the Corps as well. I heard that rumor. OOC games always seem to be light and I don't know why.

ElCid
September 15th, 2014, 09:32 PM
You may know the link to get the attendance stats from the NCAA (at least historical), but here it is just in case.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2014, 10:56 PM
What makes the Citadel's attendance even more impressive is that their fans actually pay to go to games their team is likely to lose.

On the other hand, when I went to the Wofford-Citadel game last year, they were giving away free tickets at the gate and even threw in a fireworks show at the end.

I don't think there is any doubt that the Citadel has one of the most loyal fan bases in FCS. They went 3-8 in 2010 and still averaged 11,445. Thick or thin, they are always top 30 in FCS.

I have no doubt they will end up around 13,000 for the season this year too.

I am also happy to see that Mercer is doing so well in attendance...I would love to see a 10,000+ season average be the low end for all SoCon teams.

And on that note...

2013 Attendance for current SoCon teams:

13,155 The Citadel
9,922 Chattanooga
9,379 Mercer
8,299 Furman
8,241 Western Carolina
7,773 Wofford
7,512 Samford
5,046 VMI

2014 Attendance to date

14,285 Chattanooga (1)
11,127 Mercer (2)
10,828 The Citadel (1)
9,720 Western Carolina (2)
7,533 Furman (1)
7,392 Wofford (1)
4,968 Samford (1)
4,479 VMI (1)

chattanoogamocs
September 15th, 2014, 11:05 PM
And before everyone starts defending their attendance one way or another...Samford played a bad Non DI on a Thursday night...Wofford played a Non DI in a terrible weather, etc, etc. It's early, I know...most schools have only played one home game and only the Citadel and Chattanooga played ranked OOC teams that had strong crowd draws.

BearDownMU
September 15th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I hope we can keep it up so we can add more seats. Capacity on paper is only 10,200 right now plus standing room. It was originally supposed to be Phase I stadium build was 6,500 seats. Then we sold 6,000 season tickets in 2 days. lol. So they went ahead and approved the Phase II expansion at the beginning of the Phase I construction and bumped it up to 10,200. I'm not sure what the Phase III cap is supposed to be. I think around 15K maybe. It all really new right now and everyone is excited. Plus we won a lot of games last year which kept people excited. Obviously, we will take our lumps this year. I just hope everyone stays positive and continues to turn out. We've also gotten great support from the non-Mercer people in the Macon community.

All in all, it's been a pretty awesome year and a half.

chattanoogamocs
September 16th, 2014, 01:18 AM
I hope we can keep it up so we can add more seats. Capacity on paper is only 10,200 right now plus standing room. It was originally supposed to be Phase I stadium build was 6,500 seats. Then we sold 6,000 season tickets in 2 days. lol. So they went ahead and approved the Phase II expansion at the beginning of the Phase I construction and bumped it up to 10,200. I'm not sure what the Phase III cap is supposed to be. I think around 15K maybe. It all really new right now and everyone is excited. Plus we won a lot of games last year which kept people excited. Obviously, we will take our lumps this year. I just hope everyone stays positive and continues to turn out. We've also gotten great support from the non-Mercer people in the Macon community.

All in all, it's been a pretty awesome year and a half.

As an old sports management grad who works part time in the Mocs athletics department...hopefully they won't build more seats any time soon...more demand than seats is a good thing for an athletics department. If you run into a rough patch and attendance drops to 9,000 for a game, it would only be 60% full at 15,000 seats...whereas at 10,000 permanent, it will still look and feel packed. Hard to get tickets give them added value and encourage people to buy season tickets. Trust me, Chattanooga is a walk-up town and it gives athletics department people ulcers trying to budget because people know they can decide the day of the game if they are going to go or not because there are about 10,000 tickets available right up to game time. Sellout a couple of season and then decide if you want to build more seats. But I am sure the Mercer people already know this, they seem to have their act together facilities wise.

OL FU
September 16th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Slight Change of subject. Kinda cool. We have fans on here from every school in the conference poking each other in the eye. I like it.:)

CID1990
September 16th, 2014, 06:33 AM
It was low, but our one game was also on a holiday weekend. It seemed much more than the 10800 reported. It will go up. I think they may be not reporting the Corps as well. I heard that rumor. OOC games always seem to be light and I don't know why.

Ive been to beaucoup games and something was wrong with the attendance numbers for the CCU game. Ive seen games where I thought attendance was low and we were at 13K. But I was certain we had about 14k in the stands for the CCU game. I think the methodology changed somehow

regardless- it would be nice to get back to our 1990s numbers. We're good for 12k regardless but winning could have us sniffing 19-20k again

rokamortis
September 16th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Slight Change of subject. Kinda cool. We have fans on here from every school in the conference poking each other in the eye. I like it.:)

Yeah, it is pretty funny. You guys are tearing each other up.

woffordgrad94
September 16th, 2014, 08:28 AM

http://ceccicontractor.com/wp-content/gallery/ave-maria/ave-maria-arial.jpg

I would like to have sexual intercourse with Ava Gardner. It looks like she has some great fun bags.

BullDog85
September 16th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Isn't Ave Maria University really "Dominos Pizza Catholic High?" Meaning it was built and is funded by the Dominos Pizza clan?

FUBeAR
September 16th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Isn't Ave Maria University really "Dominos Pizza Catholic High?" Meaning it was built and is funded by the Dominos Pizza clan?

Sort of...Tom Monaghan was the founder of Domino's Pizza. He sold Domino's Pizza in 1998 and founded (bankrolled, I guess one could say) Ave Maria University in 2006.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Probably is not the only one, but Ave Maria has the interesting distinction of being a Michigan school that, like many Michiganders themselves, moved to Florida because the climate was better.

citdog
September 16th, 2014, 11:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXFhqG8G5uI

FCSfan
September 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
so...

hope every team rep can chime in but if you had to describe your team's one best strength what would it be and how will it help you in the socon race?

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Highlights from PC game against Furman (such as they were).

I post this really so folks will watch about the first 30 seconds. Never really like blocks like that one because they are patently unfair as one player simply never sees his assailant. Still, not often you see a WR hit a linebacker so hard it knocks both of them into the sideline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxdhQm0RySI

SU DOG
September 16th, 2014, 01:52 PM
so...

hope every team rep can chime in but if you had to describe your team's one best strength what would it be and how will it help you in the socon race?

Mainly just to keep the discussion going (who needs those 2 fan bases that exited?), I will offer an answer. In Samford's case I say that what they(SoCon opponents) don't know WILL HURT THEM!! LOL

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2014, 02:30 PM
so...

Unsurprisingly, I would say the defense. The 2014 team is not as big as some of our units from the early/mid 2000s, but they are fast to the football and have been stingy on the edges and in the passing game. Have shown a propensity to get worn down late in games against a power rushing attack, which is largely attributable to the offense's complete ineffectiveness at sustaining drives.

At this stage, Gary Wilkins is the straw that stirs the drink. He and Ira McCune might be the best pass rush combo I've seen in the SoCon since Murrell/Hunter for App State.

FCSfan
September 16th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Mainly just to keep the discussion going (who needs those 2 fan bases that exited?), I will offer an answer. In Samford's case I say that what they(SoCon opponents) don't know WILL HURT THEM!! LOL

quality answer!

ElCid
September 16th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Ive been to beaucoup games and something was wrong with the attendance numbers for the CCU game. Ive seen games where I thought attendance was low and we were at 13K. But I was certain we had about 14k in the stands for the CCU game. I think the methodology changed somehow

regardless- it would be nice to get back to our 1990s numbers. We're good for 12k regardless but winning could have us sniffing 19-20k again

I think there was a disruption of attendance when we built the new stadium. We have never really recovered. I think a lot of folks did not get tickets during that period of construction and just never came back. I have looked at the attendance figures for each year and compared it to the W/L percentage and the numbers have not really gone up and down much based on winning. Granted when we went on the tear in the early 90s, it most certainly went up for a period of time, but we have increased even after dismal years. An occasional 7-4 record just does not get the folks out en mass. We need to have another long term run to beef up the numbers. Or some improved marketing.

We averaged 16K in 2001-03 while going 12-22. The last three years we have improved slightly to 16-18 but we only averaged 13K. If we go all the way back to 1990-92, we averaged 17.5K while going 25-11. Of the eight winning season since 1990, attendance has dropped 5 times for the year following (granted that one of those was for west stand closing during construction). Winning obviously will not hurt, but I think there more to it. We got to figure out what it is. Some of it is demographics, some of it is that there are more options for folks to choose from, and some of it might even be the economy. I think bringing the Corps back to the home side was a good first step in revitalizing the attendance. Now if we could just get the Band to play more.....

SU DOG
September 16th, 2014, 04:59 PM
WHAT? Furman #2 and Mercer ahead of The Citadel? Something is in the Steak or the Shake one.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/socon-power-poll/

ElCid
September 16th, 2014, 05:02 PM
WHAT? Furman #2 and Mercer ahead of The Citadel? Something is in the Steak or the Shake one.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/socon-power-poll/

Consider the source. Not like anyone has ever taken them seriously.

FUBeAR
September 16th, 2014, 05:20 PM
so...

Mercer's only chance of being competitive in any SoCon games this year is that their one best strength lies in the fact that their players FULLY EXPECT to win EVERY game and not knowing (or, at least, not believing) that they are not supposed to win ANY of them.

I recognize that may sound like horse-patookey to everyone who is so concerned with 'measurables,' statistics, classification, number of scholarships, recruiting 'stars,' or any of the other thousand things that completely ignore, what I believe to be the single most important determinant of any team's success (at all but the most elite levels of competition): the team's collective WILL to win & REFUSAL to lose. Yes, teams with that still lose sometimes, but they won't 'accept' losing and they won't let losing 'define' them. It's just not who they are in their mental & emotional DNA. I do have personal empirical evidence of this which solidifies my firm commitment to this belief; maybe it is ancient historical evidence now...but it also was 95 or 85 scholarships vs. 55, typically a much more pronounced size difference than we see today (our Center weighed 205 and we had an OG who was 5'8" 230), and included similar consistent differences in speed/athleticism as we might find between Mercer and the established members of today's SoCon. Mercer's players (and Coaches) have this strength now. They were and are completely pissed off about losing to FU - not 1 of them feels good that they were 'in the game' or 'competed well.' They EXPECTED to WIN. We'll all know in just a few weeks if they are able to leverage and/or sustain that strength. If not, they will go 0-7 in the SoCon and look bad doing it, as so many predict. As a fan, and although a non-gambler, I'm 'betting' that doesn't happen.

FUBeAR
September 16th, 2014, 06:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXFhqG8G5uI

Surprisingly (to some), this is the guy that Mercer has lined up to sing The National Anthem this Saturday. I thought the name sounded familiar when I heard it. BTW, he was on campus today and predicted that Mercer Football would, in just a very few years, move to the NFL and win the 1st Super Bowl played outside the US in Bologna, Italy, near his hometown.

Also for a few folks highly interested in such matters, Madalyn Murray O'Hair will be delivering this week's pre-game Invocation.

chattanoogamocs
September 16th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Surprisingly (to some), this is the guy that Mercer has lined up to sing The National Anthem this Saturday. I thought the name sounded familiar when I heard it. BTW, he was on campus today and predicted that Mercer Football would, in just a very few years, move to the NFL and win the 1st Super Bowl played outside the US in Bologna, Italy, near his hometown.

Also for a few folks highly interested in such matters, Madalyn Murray O'Hair will be delivering this week's pre-game Invocation.

About 5 minutes before kickoff Mercer officials realize that Luciano Pavarotti has been dead for 2007 and the person singing the national anthem is actually this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu4I_6l4hLI

BearDownMU
September 16th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Nope. It was Enrico Palazzo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCc1DzRAgQ

Smitty
September 17th, 2014, 12:26 PM
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) Western Carolina
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7) The Citadel
8) VMI

Predictions
VMI @ Samford
The Citadel @ Charleston Southern
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb
Ave Maria @ Mercer
Furman @ South Carolina State

CID1990
September 17th, 2014, 12:42 PM
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) Western Carolina
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7) The Citadel
8) VMI

Predictions
VMI @ Samford
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb
Ave Maria @ Mercer

lol

citdog
September 17th, 2014, 12:56 PM
1) Chattanooga
2) Samford
3) Wofford
4) Western Carolina
5) Furman
6) Mercer
7) The Citadel
8) VMI

Predictions
VMI @ Samford
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb
Ave Maria @ Mercer

Comedy GOLD that is!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2014, 01:17 PM
1. Cotton Mouths
2. Cadets
3. Western Dogs
4. Eastern Dogs
5. Purple North
6. Purple South
7. Teddy Bears
8. Other Cadets

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2014, 01:21 PM
My power ranking:

(1) Reserved
(2) Reserved
(3) Reserved
(4) Reserved
(5) Reserved
(6) Reserved
(7) Reserved
(8) UTC, Furman, Mercer, WCU, VMI, Samford, Wofford, the Citadel

After three weeks, the SoCon has exactly three wins over D-1 scholarship teams. Furman has two of those wins, and has looked awful in every game.

Impossible at this point to make a judgment about anyone. Maybe after this week, with several good OOC matchups, we will have a much better idea what the conference looks like.

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Comedy GOLD that is!

I think you guys are selling yourselves short in your review of Cmitty's SoCon Power Rankings. Despite VMI's solid win last week, I'm surprised you guys think they should be ranked ahead of ElCid.

Reign of Terrier
September 17th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I think the Charleston Southern vs Citadel will be a fun game to watch. I think the Citadel can pull it out, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs pulled an upset.

This isn't because the Citadel is bad, but because Chuck South has improved as an overall squad.

SU DOG
September 17th, 2014, 03:15 PM
SoCon Betting Lines - For Entertainment Purposes ONLY!

Furman @ SC State - State by 2 points(Paladins will probably find a way, but a tough call)
The Citadel @ CSU - Cadets by 10 points(at least ten IMO)
Wofford @ GWU - Terriers by 7.5 points(More likely 2 TDs)
Ava Marie @ Mercer - Bears by 26.5 points(probably not wide enough)
VMI @ Samford - Bulldogs by 25.5 points(very surprised by the spread being this big)

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2014, 03:17 PM
SoCon Betting Lines - For Entertainment Purposes ONLY!

Furman @ SC State - State by 2 points(Paladins will probably find a way, but a tough call)
The Citadel @ CSU - Cadets by 10 points(at least ten IMO)
Wofford @ GWU - Terriers by 7.5 points(More likely 2 TDs)
Ava Marie @ Mercer - Bears by 26.5 points(probably not wide enough)
VMI @ Samford - Bulldogs by 25.5 points(very surprised by the spread being this big)

Furman may well beat SCSU something like 3-0. I'm not sure either team is going to score much.

ElCid
September 17th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I think the Charleston Southern vs Citadel will be a fun game to watch. I think the Citadel can pull it out, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs pulled an upset.

This isn't because the Citadel is bad, but because Chuck South has improved as an overall squad.

I can't wait. I honestly think we are going to abuse Chuck South. I could always be wrong, and I will eat my crow as appropriate, but I think we are way better than folks believe. I am starting to really like the new coach and his staff as well. We stumbled a bit the first week. First game jitters I expect. Really wish we could have that one back. The adjustments made the second week looked spot on. And I thought the offensive play calling was the best I have seen from the Bulldogs in years.

I did not think so at first, but the more I think about it, this week should reveal a lot. We will see if VMI is as bad as some think...or if Samford if as strong as some believe. We will see if Wofford is still as strong as it has been and if the BS is really obtaining parity with the SOCON (either the SOCON is sinking or the BS is rising, take your pick). We will see if Furman improves offensively and may be a contender or if it is stuck in neutral. We will see if The Citadel is a paper Bulldog or a team ready to break out. And again, depending on Chuck South, whether the BS has any depth or is really just a one or two team conference. Not sure what we will learn from Mercer....anyone?

Millwoch
September 17th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Furman may well beat SCSU something like 3-0. I'm not sure either team is going to score much.

The over/under is 35. That pretty low for a football game.

FUBeAR
September 17th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Not sure what we will learn from Mercer....anyone?

I think the answer to your question is obvious from reading the many things we have seen previously posted about Mercer's games on AGS & the various SoCon message boards and reviewing the Massey Ratings (the Massey-only version). If Mercer puts another (49-0/coulda-been 149-0) shellacking on Ava Gardner-Webb Maria and shuts out the Gyrenes as they did Stetson last week, we will learn that all NAIA teams are HORRIBLE and most 1-A HS teams in the Southeast could surely beat any of them (and probably Mercer as well). If it's close(r) or Mercer loses, we will just learn (or confirm) what we knew all along, Mercer's offense is garbage and their defense is atrocious; their linemen are unathletic midgets; their QB is an inaccurate loser; and, of course, their Head Coach is a complete moron. In addition, as it's a home game, we may confirm that Mercer's ticket manager is Gordon Gekko, their campus religious leaders are in the Army of Satan, and their hometown newspaper doesn't even know they exist. Class Dismissed...GO BEARS!! MAUL 'EM!!!

Smitty
September 17th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Comedy GOLD that is!

Since you love doing this to App...

http://i.imgur.com/PhL28XF.png

ElCid
September 17th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I think the answer to your question is obvious from reading the many things we have seen previously posted about Mercer's games on AGS & the various SoCon message boards and reviewing the Massey Ratings (the Massey-only version). If Mercer puts another (49-0/coulda-been 149-0) shellacking on Ava Gardner-Webb Maria and shuts out the Gyrenes as they did Stetson last week, we will learn that all NAIA teams are HORRIBLE and most 1-A HS teams in the Southeast could surely beat any of them (and probably Mercer as well). If it's close(r) or Mercer loses, we will just learn (or confirm) what we knew all along, Mercer's offense is garbage and their defense is atrocious; their linemen are unathletic midgets; their QB is an inaccurate loser; and, of course, their Head Coach is a complete moron. In addition, as it's a home game, we may confirm that Mercer's ticket manager is Gordon Gekko, their campus religious leaders are in the Army of Satan, and their hometown newspaper doesn't even know they exist. Class Dismissed...GO BEARS!! MAUL 'EM!!!

Easy Trigger. The question was more directed at Ava Gardner Maria than Mercer. Starting a week from Saturday we will start learning all about Mercer, for about 6 weeks running. Already planning the tailgate for 1 November.

BearDownMU
September 17th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I will be in my customary spot on November 1 in Macon, with BBQ and fermented hops beverages. FUBeAR will be in his spot, with the beverages (but not the BBQ because he's one of the NC BBQ guys that likes to poo poo on anything else).

Homecoming for us, so I'm excited for you to see Mercer in that environment. I would imagine it will be absolutely jammed. Really looking forward to that weekend.

BearDownMU
September 17th, 2014, 08:41 PM
And, as I think I said on another board, here is the most important thing we will learn from Mercer vs Ava Gardner-Webb Maria:

Is God Catholic or Baptist?

ElCid
September 17th, 2014, 09:06 PM
I will be in my customary spot on November 1 in Macon, with BBQ and fermented hops beverages. FUBeAR will be in his spot, with the beverages (but not the BBQ because he's one of the NC BBQ guys that likes to poo poo on anything else).

Homecoming for us, so I'm excited for you to see Mercer in that environment. I would imagine it will be absolutely jammed. Really looking forward to that weekend.

Our local Alumni club is planning an event. We have quite a few grads in Middle Georgia. We got a nice area reserved for us by Mercer apparently. Somewhat nice of Mercer considering they are screwing us on the ticketsxeyebrowx. I will be wearing all my Citadel garb to work that week because we have a bunch of Mercer engineers.

chattanoogamocs
September 17th, 2014, 10:03 PM
And, as I think I said on another board, here is the most important thing we will learn from Mercer vs Ava Gardner-Webb Maria:

I guess for now he is a Baptist...just don't ever schedule Notre Dame.

...he going to be leaning Episcopalian on Oct 25th.

citdog
September 17th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Since you love doing this to App...

http://i.imgur.com/PhL28XF.png 1 d1 win in the last 3 seasons. Mercer had more than that in their first season in 70 years. beat somebody anybody then you can talk.

FUBeAR
September 18th, 2014, 12:07 AM
I will be wearing all my Citadel garb to work that week

Which hotel?

Ghost
September 18th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Mercer has yet to show that they can beat a scholarship DI this year. I have no problem with them being ranked last until they play some stiffer competition.

OL FU
September 18th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Might have to play Notre Dame to decide thatxeyebrowx

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2014, 07:23 AM

I have not looked it up, but after last week, is that only Mercer's fifth road contest in two years?

Ghost
September 18th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I have not looked it up, but after last week, is that only Mercer's fifth road contest in two years?
yes it was. there were only 4 in year one. Campbell, Davidson, San Diego, and Marist. Then Stetson this year.

SU DOG
September 18th, 2014, 07:56 AM
SoCon Preview: VMI @ Samford. I sure hope he is right with that big point spread.

http://soconrecruiting.com/2014-week4-vmi-samford/

walliver
September 18th, 2014, 08:37 AM

After last Friday nights two lightening delays, one downpour, and lighting failure which turned a probably Baptist D2 loss into a comfortable victory, it is quite obvious that the Creator is Methodist.

BullDog85
September 18th, 2014, 08:44 AM
After last Friday nights two lightening delays, one downpour, and lighting failure which turned a probably Baptist D2 loss into a comfortable victory, it is quite obvious that the Creator is Methodist.
PC college would argue that he's Presbyterian and has a compete disdain for former Baptist (Furman).

Ghost
September 18th, 2014, 08:47 AM
so you are saying that he's a baptist that will say hey to you at the liquor store? xdrunkyx

kdinva
September 18th, 2014, 09:12 AM
SoCon Preview: VMI @ Samford. I sure hope he is right with that big point spread.

http://soconrecruiting.com/2014-week4-vmi-samford/

Keydets definitely will score more than 10........

but, on defense.......xconfusedx ...would love to limit Samford to 28 or so.......

Keydets need to both convert drives into TD's, and control the clock.

Smitty
September 18th, 2014, 09:28 AM
1 d1 win in the last 3 seasons. Mercer had more than that in their first season in 70 years. beat somebody anybody then you can talk.

I thought we were talking about Citadel losing to CSU last year? Why bring up Western?

CID1990
September 18th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Which hotel?

the one where your mom "holds court"

Smitty
September 20th, 2014, 07:42 PM
1 d1 win in the last 3 seasons. Mercer had more than that in their first season in 70 years. beat somebody anybody then you can talk.

Turns out I was correct...

OrangeAndBlack
September 20th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Turns out I was correct...

Not a good day out of conference for the SoCon.. home teams win all around.

rokamortis
September 20th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Not a good day out of conference for the SoCon.. home teams win all around.

What? That Ave Maria win is really strong.

OrangeAndBlack
September 20th, 2014, 08:04 PM
What? That Ave Maria win is really strong.

You're right, but out of respect to The Ave I was waiting till it went final.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2014, 08:10 PM
As an aside, Mercer's effort at home against Furman is looking decidedly less impressive. I honestly do not think I have seen a team as incompetent on offense as Furman is right now. Cannot run it, cannot throw it, cannot hold on to it.

Good news for Furman, such as it is, is that we have a conference win and our defense keeps showing up every week with their hammer.

chattownmocs
September 20th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Samford at chattanooga next week. SOCON title game

chattownmocs
September 20th, 2014, 08:13 PM
As an aside, Mercer's effort at home against Furman is looking decidedly less impressive. I honestly do not think I have seen a team as incompetent on offense as Furman is right now. Cannot run it, cannot throw it, cannot hold on to it.

Good news for Furman, such as it is, is that we have a conference win and our defense keeps showing up every week with their hammer.

Seems like a real big hammer. Not.

dungeonjoe
September 20th, 2014, 08:14 PM
At this point, I agree.

kdinva
September 20th, 2014, 08:20 PM

I second that......

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Seems like a real big hammer. Not.

What is your argument? Furman's defense isn't good?

Furman's defense has been little short of incredible this year considering the offense is three and out or a turnover on virtually every possession.

chattownmocs
September 20th, 2014, 08:27 PM
What is your argument? Furman's defense isn't good?

Furman's defense has been little short of incredible this year considering the offense is three and out or a turnover on virtually every possession.

Or it aids them by allowing the opponent to win with an ultra conservative game plan. Not to mention the quality, or lack there of, of the offenses furman has faced.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Or it aids them by allowing the opponent to win with an ultra conservative game plan. Not to mention the quality, or lack there of, of the offenses furman has faced.

Just keep telling yourself that.

Perhaps you missed that the team that managed 194 yards and 3 points against Furman just dropped 43 on Wofford.

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Ugly day...and frustrating...Furman, Wofford and Citadel all had good chances to win (or tie) on their last drives and none of them could get it done.

chattownmocs
September 20th, 2014, 08:35 PM

Perhaps you missed that the team that managed 194 yards and 3 points against Furman just dropped 43 on Wofford.

I don't need to tell myself anything. You just lost to sc state 17-7. There is nothing impressive about that on either side of the ledger. You lost to presbyterian 10-7. Nothing impressive about that. Beat Mercer 25-20. Nothing impressive about that. Gardner webb had a good game. So what? I'm not claiming that chattanoogs has been impressive either but come on dude. Stop hyping your defense when you lose 17-7 to sc state.

CSU18
September 20th, 2014, 08:51 PM
You may might be right CSU. But let me tell you one thing, we will bring an attitude up to Ladson this weekend we haven't seen in awhile from a Citadel team. Can you hold us under 400 yds rushing this weekend. My prediction is no. Now can we stop you guys? I guess we will see. I just hope everyone up the road is as confident as you.

As I suspected - should have never been as close as it was. Two stupid defensive penalties late in the game gave Citadel some false hope. In the end, the better team won (small stadium and all).

Reign of Terrier
September 20th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Wofford's definitely not a playoff team, but we're much better offensively, and I'd say we're a year away.

Credit to GWU, they beat us fair and square. I won't complain about the pass interference calls, I thought they were good ones, but the roughing the passer ones were really really bad as the QB was hit before he threw. But that's my only complaint.

I think the Big South is both up and the Socon is down. It's not that the Socon is missing App State and GSU as much as it is that Wofford isn't yet back to the level they were during the days of EB, and Furman hasn't established itself as a consistent power. Every other team, with the exception of an improved Western Carolina is playing at about the same level they've always played.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Wofford's definitely not a playoff team, but we're much better offensively, and I'd say we're a year away.

Credit to GWU, they beat us fair and square. I won't complain about the pass interference calls, I thought they were good ones, but the roughing the passer ones were really really bad as the QB was hit before he threw. But that's my only complaint.

I think the Big South is both up and the Socon is down. It's not that the Socon is missing App State and GSU as much as it is that Wofford isn't yet back to the level they were during the days of EB, and Furman hasn't established itself as a consistent power. Every other team, with the exception of an improved Western Carolina is playing at about the same level they've always played.

I tend to agree. No one looks good. Samford might look the best, but its hard to gauge given their first three opponents.

Wofford and Furman seem to be in similar spots, except that Wofford isn't playing a lot of defense, and Furman isn't doing a thing on offense. Good news for both is that all of these games are coming against non-conference competition.

CSU18
September 21st, 2014, 08:58 AM
I'm still waiting to hear from citdog, ElCid, & CID1990.

SCPALADIN
September 21st, 2014, 09:49 AM

Just put him on ignore like the majority of the rest on AGS. He's the biggest idiot on here. It makes the overall experience much more enjoyable....and intelligent.

Biff
September 22nd, 2014, 10:43 AM
As I suspected - should have never been as close as it was. Two stupid defensive penalties late in the game gave Citadel some false hope. In the end, the better team won (small stadium and all).

Hold on a minute. Lets not talk referees. Every time we broke a big play it was called back due to some penalty … every time … yes, EVERY TIME (almost like you paid the refs … its that glaring). The referee squad had more Citadel stops than CSU did. Hell, I would say the punt return had a glaringly missed block in the back that sprung the entire return … then again, it was hard to see anything from where I was sitting. (insert joke about the stadium ... too easy to make fun of at this point)

17 total penalties between each team. We can probably talk refs on both sides all day long. Honestly, the UAB QB played well and y'all had a few wide receivers make a some big catches. Not much to speak of on our part. We didn't show up with any intensity.

TAKE THE WIN, BE HAPPY …

ElCid
September 22nd, 2014, 05:33 PM
Hold on a minute. Lets not talk referees. Every time we broke a big play it was called back due to some penalty … every time … yes, EVERY TIME (almost like you paid the refs … its that glaring). The referee squad had more Citadel stops than CSU did. Hell, I would say the punt return had a glaringly missed block in the back that sprung the entire return … then again, it was hard to see anything from where I was sitting. (insert joke about the stadium ... too easy to make fun of at this point)

17 total penalties between each team. We can probably talk refs on both sides all day long. Honestly, the UAB QB played well and y'all had a few wide receivers make a some big catches. Not much to speak of on our part. We didn't show up with any intensity.

TAKE THE WIN, BE HAPPY …

The block in the back was bad but I think the pass interference call on The Citadel late was the most glaring example of the poor quality refs. The replay I saw on the BS feed showed the CSU receiver with two handfuls of our defenders jersey. We got called. Check the replay. But I think we got a couple calls as well, so I can only hope it evened out overall. I distain criticizing the refs but....WOW. The first fumble also looked suspect. Looked to me that Renew's butt was already on the ground when it came out. Wasn't any close up on the feed but I need to watch it again.

CID1990
September 22nd, 2014, 05:52 PM
I'm still waiting to hear from citdog, ElCid, & CID1990.

About what?

CSU won. Congrats.

There's a whole slew of you CSU fans between here and CS.com that are easily eclipsing Chattownmocs.