PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Power Rankings: Week 3

mmiller_34
September 14th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Its going to be a crazy year. I waited a couple weeks this year before getting them out; gives everything a chance to solidify. Overall I think things look okay; up to you guys to discuss. Rip away! xthumbsupx

Updated the MVFC Blog with the Power Rankings post + early season thoughts: Miller's Power Rankings (http://mvfcfan.blogspot.com/2014/09/2014-power-rankings-week-3.html)

North Dakota State

Southern Illinois

Illinois State

South Dakota State

Indiana State

Missouri State

Youngstown State

Northern Iowa

Western Illinois

South Dakota

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 14th, 2014, 10:42 AM
The Valley will be tough this year.

RabidRabbit
September 14th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Its going to be a crazy year. I waited a couple weeks this year before getting them out; gives everything a chance to solidify. Overall I think things look okay; up to you guys to discuss. Rip away! xthumbsupx

North Dakota State

Southern Illinois

Illinois State

South Dakota State

Indiana State

Missouri State

Youngstown State

Northern Iowa

Western Illinois

South Dakota

Look forward to explanation of the numeric rating. I'm also hopeful that you'll bring the MVFC Blog into the 2014 season. Alway enjoyed reading that assessment.

mmiller_34
September 14th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Look forward to explanation of the numeric rating. I'm also hopeful that you'll bring the MVFC Blog into the 2014 season. Alway enjoyed reading that assessment.

Working on the first post of the 2014 season as we speak! The rating is formulated combining wins, points for, yards for, loses, points against, yards against. That variable is averaged by games played. sos variables are also added to give weight to games (negative points for playing lower teams, bonus points for playing ranked & FBS teams).

mmiller_34
September 14th, 2014, 11:51 AM
The Valley will be tough this year.

With what seems to be a legit rise from Missouri State, Illinois State, and Indiana State I'm worried about my Jacks; SDSU showed last night that they can have those offensive droughts that are so frustrating.

MSUDuo
September 14th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Realistically, what is the most # of teams the Valley could see in the new 24 team playoff?

mmiller_34
September 14th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Realistically, what is the most # of teams the Valley could see in the new 24 team playoff?

I think it all depends upon how the rest of the conferences play out. For the Valley to break through and get 4 teams would be a miracle in my mind; although at the end of the season there could be 5 or 6 that are eligible.

semobison
September 14th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I think it all depends upon how the rest of the conferences play out. For the Valley to break through and get 4 teams would be a miracle in my mind; although at the end of the season there could be 5 or 6 that are eligible.

Can 4 or 5 teams come out of the conference with a winning record. I remember 2010 when 6 teams out of 9 went 4-4 in conference play. We got 3 teams in that year NDSU won 2 playoff games after going .500 in conference.

mmiller_34
September 14th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Can 4 or 5 teams come out of the conference with a winning record. I remember 2010 when 6 teams out of 9 went 4-4 in conference play. We got 3 teams in that year NDSU won 2 playoff games after going .500 in conference.

With the unbalanced schedule, I think its possible. I haven't actually played it out though.

Theee Catrabbit
September 14th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I hate to say it but, that looks pretty reasonable so far.

Professor Chaos
September 14th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I think Missouri St is going to make some waves in the conference this year. I doubt any team is going to go undefeated in conference this year which should help get some extra playoff bids for the MVFC.

mmiller_34
September 14th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I think Missouri St is going to make some waves in the conference this year. I doubt any team is going to go undefeated in conference this year which should help get some extra playoff bids for the MVFC.

I there could be a clear cut winner at 7-1 or 6-2, and a few teams at 5-3. I'm really curious to see who the losers will be in the conference. USD and WIU could be the bottom feeders, but there will need to be a couple more teams that go 3-5 in conference if we want to get 4-5 teams eligible.

SIUSalukiFan
September 14th, 2014, 02:40 PM

2. xnodx

Houndawg
September 14th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Possibly 3 if the CAA and Big Sky get 4 or 5 each....

penguinpower
September 14th, 2014, 06:05 PM
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

skinny_uncle
September 14th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I thought the Valley had four one year and that it was prior to expansion.

penguinpower
September 14th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Maybe 2006 they have taken 4 from the CAA on multiple occasions

Yotes
September 14th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Since SOS means absolutely nothing to the playoff committee, I'd be surprised to see more than 3 MVFC teams make the playoffs.

mmiller_34
September 14th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Since SOS means absolutely nothing to the playoff committee, I'd be surprised to see more than 3 MVFC teams make the playoffs.

This ^^^^

Unless something extraordinary happens; I feel like it will be the same old story come playoff time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 14th, 2014, 08:45 PM
This ^^^^

Unless something extraordinary happens; I feel like it will be the same old story come playoff time.

Maybe, but with how well teams are doing in OOC games, I think 4 get in this year.

goyotes
September 14th, 2014, 08:58 PM
If you cannot finish in the top 2 or 3 of your conference, do you really deserve to make the playoffs? The problem is not so much the deserving teams that get left out of the playoffs as it is the underserving teams that make the playoffs. I think 24 is too large of playoff field and that it should go back to 20 or 16.

Houndawg
September 14th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Maybe, but with how well teams are doing in OOC games, I think 4 get in this year.

You'd think. If it doesn't happen this year it never will.

SUPharmacist
September 14th, 2014, 09:16 PM
If you cannot finish in the top 2 or 3 of your conference, do you really deserve to make the playoffs? The problem is not so much the deserving teams that get left out of the playoffs as it is the underserving teams that make the playoffs. I think 24 is too large of playoff field and that it should go back to 20 or 16.

I agree completely, but as long as the playoff field is this large people will struggle when lesser teams make it in. Last year if I just looked at the valley I could understand which teams made it, but you can't isolate that way, hence all the craziness with rooting on our whole conference this time of year (I would much prefer you all failed miserably, as I am sure you would love for NDSU to fail).

clenz
September 14th, 2014, 09:21 PM
So a second pfl team over a 3rd or 4th place MVFC team?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ysubigred
September 17th, 2014, 07:34 AM

To be honest the playoff's should be the best 16 teams period... Let the conferences reward the champion and let's have the best 16 teams play for the NC.x406x

Sycamore62
September 17th, 2014, 09:14 AM
i agree as long as its no AQs

REALBird
September 17th, 2014, 09:34 AM
That's just crazy talk. Take the best 24 teams. I'm a fan of the auto-qualifier as long as you played the requisite number of Division I teams. After that, take the best teams and fill out the bracket. It would seem that the FCS needs to decide on a definitive system for ranking teams and determining what are the best teams beyond the auto-qualifier.

If you want people to take FCS seriously and prove that FCS has had it right all these years by deciding the national champion on the field, not the polls, or based solely on some stupid computer (BCS) then take Massey, The Coaches Poll, Real Time RPI and come up with a system that keeps the biased SID's, sports writers and committee on the up and up.

I don't think FCS can harp on the BCS computer system not getting it right and champion it's system if it's just as flawed.

Sycamore62
September 17th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I dont know what the minimum amount of teams it takes for a conference to get an automatic bid but I dont know why aside, from lazy schedulers, you would have more than that.

ysubigred
September 17th, 2014, 10:06 AM
That's just crazy talk. Take the best 24 teams. I'm a fan of the auto-qualifier as long as you played the requisite number of Division I teams. After that, take the best teams and fill out the bracket. It would seem that the FCS needs to decide on a definitive system for ranking teams and determining what are the best teams beyond the auto-qualifier.

If you want people to take FCS seriously and prove that FCS has had it right all these years by deciding the national champion on the field, not the polls, or based solely on some stupid computer (BCS) then take Massey, The Coaches Poll, Real Time RPI and come up with a system that keeps the biased SID's, sports writers and committee on the up and up.

I don't think FCS can harp on the BCS computer system not getting it right and champion it's system if it's just as flawed.

There's never going to be a perfect system. Saddly some of the "AUTO" qualifiers are "NOT" top 24 teams. FCS has it right and deciding it on the field. My point is 24 is too many and some auto bid leagues keep top teams out.

UNIFanSince1983
September 17th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Obviously I think we are better than 8th, but up until now we haven't proven that on the field. Going to be a meat grinder when games in conference start that is for sure.

Thumper 76
September 17th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Obviously I think we are better than 8th, but up until now we haven't proven that on the field. Going to be a meat grinder when games in conference start that is for sure.

To be honest seeing Iowas performance this season and UNIs performance vs Hawaii really makes me wonder if they are as good as we think.

UNIFanSince1983
September 17th, 2014, 11:07 AM
To be honest seeing Iowas performance this season and UNIs performance vs Hawaii really makes me wonder if they are as good as we think.

We will find out more this weekend I think. You know I tend to agree right now. Iowa hasn't looked good. Hawaii on the other hand gave Washington all they could handle. I still think we are better than 8th. I wouldn't put us in the top 3 or maybe even top 5 to this point. Kollmorgen has been downright bad with his efficiency so far this season, and mistakes have been abundant whether it was penalties or unforced turnovers. We need to improve and 8th is probably where we belong at this point in the season. The good thing is there are plenty of games to climb out of this hole.

Thumper 76
September 17th, 2014, 11:09 AM
We will find out more this weekend I think. You know I tend to agree right now. Iowa hasn't looked good. Hawaii on the other hand gave Washington all they could handle. I still think we are better than 8th. I wouldn't put us in the top 3 or maybe even top 5 to this point. Kollmorgen has been downright bad with his efficiency so far this season, and mistakes have been abundant whether it was penalties or unforced turnovers. We need to improve and 8th is probably where we belong at this point in the season. The good thing is there are plenty of games to climb out of this hole.

Very much agree. Definitely be an interesting few weeks to see where they really stand.

REALBird
September 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM
There's never going to be a perfect system. Saddly some of the "AUTO" qualifiers are "NOT" top 24 teams. FCS has it right and deciding it on the field. My point is 24 is too many and some auto bid leagues keep top teams out.

I don't disagree and you make some very good points. But unfortunately people tend to make decisions like that in a vacuum. The MVFC is one of the better conferences "right now", so its easy to say that. What happens in a down year when the MVFC or any other for that matter is not run rough shot by one team like NDSU? I'm just concerned that the subjectivity of not giving an "auto-qualifier" a bid can also hinder bids from other deserving conference teams.

I would buy into getting rid of the AQ, provided I had more confidence in the selection process. Without, you are correct there will never be a perfect system.

ysubigred
September 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I don't disagree and you make some very good points. But unfortunately people tend to make decisions like that in a vacuum. The MVFC is one of the better conferences "right now", so its easy to say that. What happens in a down year when the MVFC or any other for that matter is not run rough shot by one team like NDSU? I'm just concerned that the subjectivity of not giving an "auto-qualifier" a bid can also hinder bids from other deserving conference teams.

I would buy into getting rid of the AQ, provided I had more confidence in the selection process. Without, you are correct there will never be a perfect system.

I see your point also, but I'm not just using the MVFC as a measuring stick. After 12 weeks of playing, the eye test, strength of schedule, margin of victory and W/L record should weed out the best 16 teams. Use conference champs for the seeds. Start doing this and I believe teams LIKE YSU would toughen up the schedule. 7 D1 win's are pretty easy to obtain when 3 OOC games are cake walk D1 teams. xthumbsdownx I believe that's why some of the MVFC teams has miss the playoffs with the magical 7 D1 win's. Seems like everybody in the MVFC got the memo except YSU xrolleyesx

Illinois State (only three games, all full-scholarship FCS)
Mississippi Valley State: SWAC
Eastern Illinois: OVC
Austin Peay: OVC

Indiana State (two FBS, two full-scholarship FCS)
Indiana: Big Ten
Tennessee Tech: OVC
Ball State: MAC
Liberty: Big South

Missouri State (one FBS, three full-scholarship FCS)
Northwestern State: Southland
Oklahoma State: Big 12
North Dakota: Big Sky
Central Arkansas: Southland

North Dakota State (one FBS, three full-scholarship FCS)
Iowa State: Big 12
Weber State: Big Sky
Incarnate Word: Southland
Montana: Big Sky

UNI (two FBS, two full-scholarship FCS)
Iowa: Big Ten
Hawaii: Mountain West
Northern Colorado: Big Sky
Tennessee Tech: OVC

South Dakota (one FBS, two full-scholarship FCS, one NAIA)
Oregon: PAC-12
William Penn: NAIA
Montana: Big Sky
Northern Arizona: Big Sky

South Dakota State (one FBS, two full-scholarship FCS, one Division III)
Missouri: SEC
Cal Poly: Big Sky
Southern Utah: Big Sky
Wis.-Oshkosh: Division III

Southern Illinois (one FBS, two full-scholarship FCS, one NAIA)
Taylor: NAIA
Eastern Illinois: OVC
SE Missouri State: OVC
Purdue: Big Ten

Western Illinois (two FBS, two non-scholarship FCS)
Valparaiso: Pioneer
Wisconsin: Big Ten
Drake: Pioneer
Northwestern: Big Ten

YSU had BCS IL(Big Ten), Duquesne, Butler, and Saint Francis.

Sycamore62
September 18th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I noticed Illinois State only plays 11 games this year. if you were on the selection committee how would you view that IF they were say 8-3 and another school went 8-4 with an extra OOC loss but the other wins and losses were comparable and they didnt play head to head. I assume they would try to get both in and I wouldn't hold an extra FBS loss against them but I could see this as a sticking point.

Houndawg
September 18th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I noticed Illinois State only plays 11 games this year. if you were on the selection committee how would you view that IF they were say 8-3 and another school went 8-4 with an extra OOC loss but the other wins and losses were comparable and they didnt play head to head. I assume they would try to get both in and I wouldn't hold an extra FBS loss against them but I could see this as a sticking point.

Would they be considered the same as a 9-3 team with a D2 win?

Lehigh'98
September 18th, 2014, 11:52 AM
No, D2 are counters now in FCS.