PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh to Coaches "We're in if we Win!"

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
USD apparently getting word that they have a better chance at the playoffs then everyone thinks on AGS! I think you would be surprised to find out how the regional rankings are going right now by the committee members. Harbaugh has told his assistant coaches he thinks they will get in if they win their remaining two games. They will start looking to prepare for Montana depening on the outcome of the Cal Poly @ Montana game this weekend. While I'm personally not as confident as the Coaching staff may be, I think Montana needs to win this weekend and then the BSC only get one seed. It also wouldn't hurt to have Cal Poly lose the next two. But one thing for sure.... THE BUZZ is getting louder in San Diego!!!! :hurray:

Another thing that will happen... fireworks will fly for sure on Selection Sunday. If USD gets in, many fans and other schools will be in an uproar. If they don't... get ready I-AA football, your world will be rocked. Harbaugh will have the major media all over this. I-AA football always gives the BCS a hard time, but San Diego being in a major media market and a coach with easy access to coverage in the major press with have them all over this... A highly ranked USD team snubbed from the playoffs, GPI says they are in and they don't get selected? An undefeated team leading most of I-AA statistics doesn't get in? MAN ON MAN, the media will have a field day explaining that I-AA football has as many problems as the big boys. Harbaugh is fired up about this and isn't afraid to share his feelings... especially to the media. He has told his players to prepare for anywhere between 3-6 games to finish out the year. This is going to be one entertaining Selection Sunday in three weeks!

This is only the third time a non-scholly team has been ranked in the Top 25 SNP. No team has come this close to being selected for the I-AA playoffs coming from the non-scholly ranks (PFL etc). This has got to be tough for the I-AA old timers. The only I-AA team that ever went undefeated and was not selected for the playoffs who had the eligible number of wins was the 1996 Dayton Flyers. They were 11-0 and didn't even have the rankings or stats... and weren't crushing teams like USD. If USD wins the next two games, they will be 10-0. If they win this weekend they will have they will be playoff eligible.

ALSO...

SAN DIEGO RECEIVED THE MAILING FOR THE PLAYOFFS!

Just about the only arguement on here for not letting USD in is their schedule. While they may have a weaker schedule than most... you don't get ranked highly in all polls with such a weak schedule and not being amazing. Look at the numbers.

IT WILL BE AN INJUSTICE IF USD IS 10-0 and doesn't get selected. Is I-AA ready for a big media blow up on this issue? Maybe I-AA football system isn't as perfect as everyone things.....

OH WAIT... we can avoid everything if USD loses one of the next two games.... come on everyone... CHEER AGAINST USD... it's the only way to avoid a mess one way or the other come Selection Sunday.

:eek:

Maroons
November 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
Torero Tradition... I do believe you have hijacked this board! Every other thread is SanDiego something or rather! :smiley_wi

If you guys finish out undefeated... I'd like to see you get a seat at the table.

griz37
November 2nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
So when does the school plan on canceling the game with UC Davis? What do UCD & other Great West fans think of the game possibly being dropped? Will this make it harder for them to schedule teams from the Great West? Just ?s I have. I like Harbaugh, he is a tough nosed Michigan man. Would love to have him in Missoula Thanksgiving weekend.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
word on the street is undefeated season and we're in!

LeopardFan04
November 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
word on the street is undefeated season and we're in!

From whom? Just curious...no smack intended...who would word come from? I doubt that the committee would say to SD (or any team) win out and you're in...

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
So when does the school plan on canceling the game with UC Davis? What do UCD & other Great West fans think of the game possibly being dropped? Will this make it harder for them to schedule teams from the Great West? Just ?s I have. I like Harbaugh, he is a tough nosed Michigan man. Would love to have him in Missoula Thanksgiving weekend.

The USD AD and Athletic department has been in constant contact with UC Davis. The Aggies agreed that if USD was selected for the playoffs they will let USD out... (contracts and re-scheduling etc are being worked on.)

November 2nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
This "injustice" act is getting a little old, don't you think?

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:16 PM
From whom? Just curious...no smack intended...who would word come from? I doubt that the committee would say to SD (or any team) win out and you're in...

Can't say where Harbaugh and staff are getting their info...just know what he told his assistant coaches...

Things are looking up for the Toreros... :hurray:

P.S. if USD does make it, don't cheer against us just because they made it... it would be an accomplishment anyway you look at it.

putter
November 2nd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Torero,

If you don't get in, I want to hear Harbaugh personally call out your AD to set up a good schedule that everyone will approve of and not call out I-AA as having problems. As was stated before, if Louisiana-Lafayette went undefeated in the Sun Belt should they be at the table with Ohio State, Michigan, Louisville etc.?

LeopardFan04
November 2nd, 2006, 11:18 PM
Torero,

If you don't get in, I want to hear Harbaugh personally call out your AD to set up a good schedule that everyone will approve of and not call out I-AA as having problems. As was stated before, if Louisiana-Lafayette went undefeated in the Sun Belt should they be at the table with Ohio State, Michigan, Louisville etc.?

xsmileyclapx

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM
Well... Harbaugh might not be there after the season... so that could complicate things

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:20 PM
Torero,

As was stated before, if Louisiana-Lafayette went undefeated in the Sun Belt should they be at the table with Ohio State, Michigan, Louisville etc.?

Well... i bet they wouldn't be ranked in all the polls... let alone the BCS (equivalent to the GPI). If they were ranked highly and had the stats and a few big wins, then yes!

Appstate29
November 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Torero,

I agree. You can make an OK argument now that if USD finishes undefeated they should recieve a bid. But you shouldn't cry foul with the playoff system if they don't, there is enough doubt in their schedule to keep them out as well.

ngineer
November 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
I smell this year's nomination for the 'Wofford'....;)

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 11:22 PM
Can't say where Harbaugh and staff are getting their info...just know what he told his assistant coaches...

P.S. if USD does make it, don't cheer against us just because they made it... it would be an accomplishment anyway you look at it.

Harbaugh is a wind bag who would say anything to get some attention. xcoffeex

putter
November 2nd, 2006, 11:23 PM
Well... i bet they wouldn't be ranked in all the polls... let alone the BCS (equivalent to the GPI). If they were ranked highly and had the stats and a few big wins, then yes!

True, and to be honest, I have been putting USD in my poll since last year. The albatross will still be your SOS and the Torero fans need to be prepared to admit, if they are left out, that SOS is probably the reason they did not get an invite rather than the system. Good luck to you though.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2006, 11:24 PM
They will start looking to prepare for Montana depening on the outcome of the Cal Poly @ Montana game this weekend. While I'm personally not as confident as the Coaching staff may be, I think Montana needs to win this weekend and then the BSC only get one seed

Wrong. Whether Montana wins this weekend or not has NO bearing on how many teams get in from the BSC. See, Cal Poly isn't IN the BSC. Pending a miracle by UNC, about the ONLY thing that will keep the BSC at one seed is UM winning out (meaining MSU finishes 7-4).

But, I like the way you think. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let the committee pick USD, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send them to Missoula for Thanksgiving weekend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Harbaugh is a wind bag who would say anything to get some attention. xcoffeex

Has the major media been all over a I-AA playoff selection before after it occured? This could be the first time it becomes a really really big deal... besides past years teams and their local media.

I was wondering... would this be good press for I-AA or bad press? None the less... it would still be press....

AZGrizFan

Fine, then apply the argument to Boise State. They beat OSU, who just beat USC. They're undefeated. And there ain't a snowball's chance in hell that they'll get a sniff at the BCS championship game....

YoUDeeMan

This is where USD falls short.

LeopardFan04
November 2nd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Fine, then apply the argument to Boise State. They beat OSU, who just beat USC. They're undefeated. And there ain't a snowball's chance in hell that they'll get a sniff at the BCS championship game....

Good point.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
Wrong. Whether Montana wins this weekend or not has NO bearing on how many teams get in from the BSC. See, Cal Poly isn't IN the BSC. Pending a miracle by UNC, about the ONLY thing that will keep the BSC at one seed is UM winning out (meaining MSU finishes 7-4).

But, I like the way you think. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let the committee pick USD, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send them to Missoula for Thanksgiving weekend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If UM wins out as well as USD, you will get your wish.... trust me :bow:

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:29 PM

Of course they are getting a sniff... the representatives from the BCS attended their game last night on ESPN... while their schedule may keep them out of the title game... it won't keep them out of the BCS.

The diffference is the I-AA has playoffs... USD has a shot at the playoffs not an auto birth to Chattanooga :rolleyes:

Tod
November 2nd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Has the major media been all over a I-AA playoff selection before after it occured? This could be the first time it becomes a really really big deal... besides past years teams and their local media.

I was wondering... would this be good press for I-AA or bad press? None the less... it would still be press....

I don't know if this would really happen. The "major" media, so to speak, doesn't cover I-AA well at all. I seriously doubt there'd be much mention of it. But maybe, Harbaugh does have the celebrity to possibly make some noise.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:32 PM
True, and to be honest, I have been putting USD in my poll since last year. The albatross will still be your SOS and the Torero fans need to be prepared to admit, if they are left out, that SOS is probably the reason they did not get an invite rather than the system. Good luck to you though.

Thanks putter... a little luck never hurt! :smiley_wi

Most people dont realize that USD's success goes way back to last year. They have won 17 straight games, it's not just like this is fresh for this year. They were the mid-major champions last year and have continued the run. They are highly ranked in all the polls... #10 in the GPI, they're stats compared to the I-AA league as a whole are incredible and they have legit players up for major I-AA awards. Their schedule could be there ultimate down fall... yes, if they don't get selected, but they have a few quality wins and the Yale being a big one who currently sits on top of the IVY league.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
I don't know if this would really happen. The "major" media, so to speak, doesn't cover I-AA well at all. I seriously doubt there'd be much mention of it. But maybe, Harbaugh does have the celebrity to possibly make some noise.

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THE MAJOR MEDIA WOULD COVER IT, WE KNOW WHO WOULD MAKE IT HAPPEN :rolleyes:
But they are just looking to show that the playoffs don't even work in I-AA, why would the BCS even think about a playoff system. Thats why the story would be big.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks putter... a little luck never hurt! :smiley_wi

Most people dont realize that USD's success goes way back to last year. They have won 17 straight games, it's not just like this is fresh for this year. They were the mid-major champions last year and have continued the run. They are highly ranked in all the polls... #10 in the GPI, they're stats compared to the I-AA league as a whole are incredible and they have legit players up for major I-AA awards. Their schedule could be there ultimate down fall... yes, if they don't get selected, but they have a few quality wins and the Yale being a big one who currently sits on top of the IVY league.

name one other quality win besides Yale . .

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2006, 11:35 PM
Of course they are getting a sniff... the representatives from the BCS attended their game last night on ESPN... while their schedule may keep them out of the title game... it won't keep them out of the BCS.

The diffference is the I-AA has playoffs... USD has a shot at the playoffs not an auto birth to Chattanooga :rolleyes:

Who are you trying to kid? Yourself? The rest of the BCS games are just window dressing. And you know as well as I do that Boise State could go 30-0 and they'd never get invited to the big game because OF THEIR STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE. About the ONLY way they could do it would be to schedule Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan as their three OOC games, but then they'd get waxed and sent home with their tails between their legs....just like USD will.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:36 PM
Window dressing... that's some expensive dressing... millions and millions and millions of dollars!

putter
November 2nd, 2006, 11:37 PM
TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THE MAJOR MEDIA WOULD COVER IT, WE KNOW WHO WOULD MAKE IT HAPPEN :rolleyes:
But they are just looking to show that the playoffs don't even work in I-AA, why would the BCS even think about a playoff system. Thats why the story would be big.

So are you saying Harbaugh is setting I-AA up to fail, so to speak? If they don't let USD in the playoffs then he will cry foul and push I-AA back 10 years in the SD media's eyes? This division is good football and deserves more positive coverage than they get, this could become a negative thing...: smh :

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 11:38 PM

Major media? "Really, really big deal?" What planet are you on?

The only drummed up hype has been in the San Diego area and on the AGS board. The I-AA world won't crumble if USD is left out of the playoffs.

GoAgs72
November 2nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
I don't know about the coaches but Aggie fans would be upset with losing a home game. We are trying to keep our winning season streak going and it's a lot easier with 11 games than with 10 games since we are 4-4 right now. USD couldn't possibly be afraid of a 4-4 team - they must not be very good - right?

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
Who are you trying to kid? Yourself? The rest of the BCS games are just window dressing. And you know as well as I do that Boise State could go 30-0 and they'd never get invited to the big game because OF THEIR STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE. About the ONLY way they could do it would be to schedule Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan as their three OOC games, but then they'd get waxed and sent home with their tails between their legs....just like USD will.

In I-AA you don't have to be invited to the big game, just the playoffs. That arguement doesn't really apply? Who cares if they went and lost... they would take their money and gain from the experience.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:41 PM
I don't know about the coaches but Aggie fans would be upset with losing a home game. We are trying to keep our winning season streak going and it's a lot easier with 11 games than with 10 games since we are 4-4 right now. USD couldn't possibly be afraid of a 4-4 team - they must not be very good - right?

USD takes Davis very seriously and realizes they are a lot better than their record. But they would rather go to the playoffs since we are eligible. We will make it up to you Davis... we'll get it re-scheduled and get you some money :hurray:

Appstate29
November 2nd, 2006, 11:43 PM
So are you saying Harbaugh is setting I-AA up to fail, so to speak? If they don't let USD in the playoffs then he will cry foul and push I-AA back 10 years in the SD media's eyes? This division is good football and deserves more positive coverage than they get, this could become a negative thing...: smh :

I think its already been established that Harbaugh is pretty selfish, and if it came down with it, he wouldn't mind pushing I-AA back in the eyes of anyone if he thought it served his purpose

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2006, 11:45 PM
You USD fans want to see injustice, just think if NDSU wins out with only a one point loss to a Big Ten team but can't compete in the playoffs. That is an injustice but an injustice that will go completely unnoticed because we knew the rules when we left DII and we will live with them. If USD doesn't make the playoffs you shouldn't be crying over it being an injustice either because both your coach and AD knew going in that your schedule is far from being playoff caliber.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Flip side... if USD gets in and gets sent to Montana.... that would garner a lot of attention (nationally) Media loves Harbaugh and San Diego with no scholarships would be a great story.... Montana has the big time stadium etc. This could be a first round ESPN game. Plus San Diego papers would give a lot of coverage to I-AA football and the playoff system not to mention other outlets. If I was a Montana fan I would love it if USD came calling in the 1st round. (plus, we would be an easy opponent... right?)

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:48 PM
You USD fans want to see injustice, just think if NDSU wins out with only a one point loss to a Big Ten team but can't compete in the playoffs. That is an injustice but an injustice that will go completely unnoticed because we knew the rules when we left DII and we will live with them. If USD doesn't make the playoffs you shouldn't be crying over it being an injustice either because both your coach and AD knew going in that your schedule is far from being playoff caliber.

I actually think that wait thing is an injustice.... but i guess that is an established rule. there is no established rule that non-scholarship teams can't compete in the playoffs.... they just have never been selected.

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 11:48 PM
In I-AA you don't have to be invited to the big game, just the playoffs. That arguement doesn't really apply? Who cares if they went and lost... they would take their money and gain from the experience.

Another USD fan displaying a solid lack of knowledge. What money would you take? How much do you think I-AA teams get for being in the playoffs?

In your next post, you say USD will pay Davis some money to back out of/reschedule their home game.

Quick math quiz: add the imaginary gobbs of money from I-AA playoff game, subtract travel expenses to playoff game, subtract real money from paying off Davis...what are you left with?

You can use a calculator on this quiz.

ucdtim17
November 2nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
I really hate to reply to another of these threads and I'm sure it's been covered before, but in recent history has any team with such a poor SOS gotten a bid? Just one quality win? I know a lot of teams with several quality wins have been snubbed, but have there been any years when teams with resumes like this have been given bids?

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
I actually think that wait thing is an injustice.... but i guess that is an established rule. there is no established rule that non-scholarship teams can't compete in the playoffs.... they just have never been selected.

there's an established rule of knowing what a playoff caliber schedule is, and it isn't the one that you're playing, with or without UC Davis, which you had the foresight to schedule for the first week of the playoffs.

Dane96
November 2nd, 2006, 11:50 PM

Wrong. The Bowl Members were there because BOISE STATE IS GUARANTEED A SEAT AT THE TABLE IF THEY FINISH IN THE BCS TOP 12.

It is a rule, established when the smaller conferences nearly sued the big boys...and Congress threatened to get involved (exemption issues with the NCAA)!!!!!

They wont get in simply because they are undefeated, e.g. if they were undefeated and their SOS dumped them into the 13 slot of the BCS....they would be playing in whatever Bowl Game their league is tied in with.

But don't let all that huffing and puffing and self-promotion you are doing get in the way of the facts.:bang:

Freightliner
November 2nd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Torero Tradition... I do believe you have hijacked this board! Every other thread is SanDiego something or rather! :smiley_wi

If you guys finish out undefeated... I'd like to see you get a seat at the table.

I agree...give em a seat at the table....so Montana or Appy can wipe the floor with them.

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM
yes, if they don't get selected, but they have a few quality wins and the Yale being a big one who currently sits on top of the IVY league.

I still want to know who your other quality wins are against.

Dane96
November 2nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
Drake...apparantly another team that plays nobody (well...at least they had the sack to play UNI in season...something USD failed to do--Hello POLY) is the No. 2 mid major....

I think I may be sick.

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2006, 11:57 PM
I really hate to reply to another of these threads and I'm sure it's been covered before, but in recent history has any team with such a poor SOS gotten a bid? Just one quality win? I know a lot of teams with several quality wins have been snubbed, but have there been any years when teams with resumes like this have been given bids?

I was just wondering the same thing. I also wonder how the committee would look at their schedule since all their game are against underfunded teams. Yale was a good win but beating PFL teams is like beating mid-level DII or DIII teams, in my mind USD is a 1-0 team and that is how they should be looked at by the committee.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
Whenever you feel sick... just remember that Delaware win.... that was a huge win and I don't think you got enough credit for it!

cosmo here
November 2nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
Drake...apparantly another team that plays nobody is the No. 2 mid major....

I think I may be sick.

you've gotta feel for the NEC in all of this. they went out and played people . . Lehigh, Delaware, Georgia Southern, Colgate, Lafayette, Hofstra, New Hampshire, UMass . . while USD kicked around Azusa Pacific and Dixie State.

Torero Tradition
November 2nd, 2006, 11:59 PM
I was just wondering the same thing. I also wonder how the committee would look at their schedule since all their game are against underfunded teams. Yale was a good win but beating PFL teams is like beating mid-level DII or DIII teams, in my mind USD is a 1-0 team and that is how they should be looked at by the committee.

Now we are getting somewhere... so you saying there isn't something quite right about I-AA football? It's like your separating it into different leagues, different types of wins..... interesting

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 12:00 AM
NEC still has a shot for a playoff birth... just ask Matty D. at the sportsnetwork....

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 12:00 AM
Whenever you feel sick... just remember that Delaware win.... that was a huge win and I don't think you got enough credit for it!

you really have a way with psychology . . don't forget they scheduled, and beat, Lehigh too. Quality wins: Albany 2, USD 1.

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
NEC still has a shot for a playoff birth... just ask Matty D. at the sportsnetwork....

yeah, I know you're a huge fan of his and appreciate his work :rolleyes:

Appstate29
November 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Flip side... if USD gets in and gets sent to Montana.... that would garner a lot of attention (nationally) Media loves Harbaugh and San Diego with no scholarships would be a great story.... Montana has the big time stadium etc. This could be a first round ESPN game. Plus San Diego papers would give a lot of coverage to I-AA football and the playoff system not to mention other outlets. If I was a Montana fan I would love it if USD came calling in the 1st round. (plus, we would be an easy opponent... right?)

I think you're being irrational if you think ESPN is going to cover a first round game between USD and Montana. Whats your average att. per game this year?

Dane96
November 3rd, 2006, 12:02 AM

Sure we did...because if we went out and beat two of the following three: Fordham; Cornell; SBU (all winnable games), at 10-1....Albany would be a legit argument for a playoff spot....and I would give you even odds that 90% of this board would be in some support of that consideration.

ucdtim17
November 3rd, 2006, 12:02 AM
A win over Yale is not the same for USD as it is for, say an A-10 team. USD plays patsies all year, starters are well rested and not injured and they put it all together and play a great game. Other teams that play full funded teams week in and week out get beat up. I hate sounding like some dumb SEC hick saying they hit harder in the south, but there's an empirical difference between a non-schollie team and a 63 schollie major conference team. It's apples to oranges and USD shouldn't be considered until they play at LEAST 3 or so fully funded teams

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
yes, if they don't get selected, but they have a few quality wins and the Yale being a big one who currently sits on top of the IVY league.

just ignoring this quote isn't going to make it go away . .

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2006, 12:05 AM
Now we are getting somewhere... so you saying there isn't something quite right about I-AA football? It's like your separating it into different leagues, different types of wins..... interesting

I am not seperating it into different leagues just different types of wins, I don't think you could put USD's 8 wins on the same level of an 8 win Gateway, Great West, Big Sky, A-10, or Big Sky team. I don't have any problem with a non-scholly team going to the playoffs as long as they have proven themselves during the season.

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2006, 12:06 AM
I think you're being irrational if you think ESPN is going to cover a first round game between USD and Montana. Whats your average att. per game this year?

I'd bet money the first round game (assumption, I know) in Montana will be on ESPN, or ESPN2, or ESPNU, REGARDLESS of who they play. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Appstate29
November 3rd, 2006, 12:07 AM
maybe ESPNU, but not ESPN

Mike Johnson
November 3rd, 2006, 12:21 AM
Torero,

If Louisiana-Lafayette were not only undefeated in the Sun Belt, but also ranked in the top 12 of the BCS poll or above one of the BCS conference champions in the BCS poll then they would be in one of the BCS bowls.

San Diego has the rankings and the stats to make it legitimate. And the PFL is not the worst league in I-AA and thus the comparison with the Sun Belt is a little extreme.

The only argument that makes sense in terms of a playoff being better than bowls is that playoffs are inclusive and everybody has a theoretical chance to become national champions. If San Diego is undefeated, ranked in the top 16, and dominates the stats and doesn't get in the playoffs, it would go a long way to prove that the playoffs are just as exclusive as the BCS bowls and that the playoffs are a sham.

That said, I continue to think that San Diego ought to join the Great West. It is a good regional fit. They could compete (not dominate, but compete). And it would end this debate about whether they could get in the playoffs. Have a good year against Great West opponents and they would be lock. Have an average year against them and they would be out.

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2006, 12:27 AM
If Louisiana-Lafayette were not only undefeated in the Sun Belt, but also ranked in the top 12 of the BCS poll or above one of the BCS conference champions in the BCS poll then they would be in one of the BCS bowls.

San Diego has the rankings and the stats to make it legitimate. And the PFL is not the worst league in I-AA and thus the comparison with the Sun Belt is a little extreme.

The only argument that makes sense in terms of a playoff being better than bowls is that playoffs are inclusive and everybody has a theoretical chance to become national champions. If San Diego is undefeated, ranked in the top 16, and dominates the stats and doesn't get in the playoffs, it would go a long way to prove that the playoffs are just as exclusive as the BCS bowls and that the playoffs are a sham.

And on the flip side, if USD gets in, Savannah State, the MEAC bottom feeders, and all the PFL will get hundreds of offers every year for OOC games to pad schedules. We'll NEVER see a Cal Poly/Montana or a UNH/GSU or any other great OOC game again. And THAT would make the playoffs an even bigger sham.

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2006, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Torero Tradition

Another USD fan displaying a solid lack of knowledge. What money would you take? How much do you think I-AA teams get for being in the playoffs?

In your next post, you say USD will pay Davis some money to back out of/reschedule their home game.

Quick math quiz: add the imaginary gobbs of money from I-AA playoff game, subtract travel expenses to playoff game, subtract real money from paying off Davis...what are you left with?

Still waiting, Bullslinger Tradition.....you can find a calculator on your computer by clicking Start, Programs, Accessories, and Calculator.

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 12:30 AM

you are correct on all of the I-A information. if each of those qualities holds true, LA-Lafayette would be in a BCS bowl, since they met the qualifications.

in I-AA, the polls are essentially meaningless, the GPI is essentially meaningless, since the eight at-large teams are selected by a committe off people instead of a rating system.

the people voting in the polls and the people on the selection committee have two different sets of criteria in ranking teams. for example, historically, strength of schedule has been a criteria of overwhelming performance for the selection committee. there is no indication that this will change this year.

next, the committee does not necessarily select the best 16 teams anyways. at least a couple automatic bid teams each year are not "top 16" teams, but they earned their spot as it was set up.

finally, the system is not as exclusive as the BCS. first, there are 16 teams that have a chance to play for the national championship. in the BCS, there are two. second, each team knows at the beginning of the season what the criteria are to make the playoffs, and strength of schedule is a large part of that. if you play in a lower league, you must play tougher nonleague opponents. San Diego, and the PFL in general, chooses not to do that. therefore, you can't complain when you don't play by the selection committee's rules and then they don't invite you.

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2006, 12:36 AM
And the PFL is not the worst league in I-AA and thus the comparison with the Sun Belt is a little extreme.

Extreme? Name two I-AA leagues that are significantly worse than the PFL.

Dane96
November 3rd, 2006, 12:40 AM
Mike,

Your theory holds little water. If the idea of the playoffs is to be all inclusive...EVERY LEAGUE WOULD HAVE AN AUTO-BID and there would be no issues.

That minor point aside, my personal opinion (and the AGS poll shows) some rankings have USD way...way to high...specifically the GPI!!!

Steven Bryant
November 3rd, 2006, 12:43 AM
The I-AA playoffs are exclusive and flawed, even if San Diego gets in. The only way to make the playoffs legit, is to allow all selections to be settled on the field. People are arguing for 3rd and 4th place teams over San Diego, but SOS aside, what right does a team who can't even win it's conference have to play for a national title?

With the current system I'm not saying San Diego deserves a shot, but the current system is certainly flawed. Anytime you are letting people select the field, bias' will play into it.

Give all league champs an automatic berth, don't let in any 2nd place teams. That lets the selections be decided on the field. Sure the A10 2nd place is going to be better than the PFL champ, but if they can't win their league, they don't have a right to be NC IMHO.

Of course it will never happen and the selection process makes for good discussion every year. Maybe the World Series teams in baseball can be picked by a panel in the future?

Steve

WildcatFan
November 3rd, 2006, 04:44 AM
Seriously USD - win out your games, see what happens on selection Sunday and please what ever you do - SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

rokamortis
November 3rd, 2006, 05:45 AM
The San Diego fans say it would be an injustice to them if they were left out of the playoffs with a perfect record, but I say it is an injustice to all of I-AA if they are given a spot with their weak schedule compared with other teams.

Teams from other conferences like the Big South, NEC, and MEAC have been fighting for at-large bids but we always get told the same thing - upgrade your schedule then let's talk. These schools are taking this advice by scheduling tougher OOC. Some of the non-scholarship schools have even added scholarships in hopes to be more competitive. It is a tougher task but one that you know if you succeed that you have truly earned the postseason.

So USD fans, don't blame I-AA if you get left out, the rules have been clearly stated for a long time and it isn't all about the wins and losses. Blame your administration and ask them upgrade your future schedules.

rokamortis
November 3rd, 2006, 05:48 AM
The San Diego fans say it would be an injustice to them if they were left out of the playoffs with a perfect record, but I say it is an injustice to all of I-AA if they are given a spot with their weak schedule compared with other teams.

Teams from other conferences like the Big South, NEC, and MEAC have been fighting for at-large bids but we always get told the same thing - upgrade your schedule then let's talk. These schools are taking this advice by scheduling tougher OOC. Some of the non-scholarship schools have even added scholarships in hopes to be more competitive. It is a tougher task but one that you know if you succeed that you have truly earned the postseason.

So USD fans, don't blame I-AA if you get left out, the rules have been clearly stated for a long time and it isn't all about the wins and losses. Blame your administration and ask them upgrade your future schedules.

rokamortis
November 3rd, 2006, 05:48 AM
The difference here is that in most of those sports, all the teams face a relatively even level of competition, so the records actually mean something relative to each other. 8-0 USD doesn't mean jack when compared to 8-1 App St. App has a loss, so they must be worse, right? xidiotx

A committee is necessary in I-AA to prevent teams like USD from getting in. They clearly have not proven themselves (no, beating Yale doesn't prove anything), and you can talk about all your wonderful stats till you're blue in the ears, but it doesn't mean a damn thing until you BEAT REAL OPPONENTS.

And I can't believe you people really believe that only conference champs should get in. Upsets happen, but that doesn't necessarily mean the team that won is the more talented squad. Play the game 3 times, and who knows? When many of the top conference races are determined by 1 game, there is no way you can definitively say that the team that won is the best.

Reading this discussion makes me want to xlolx but then it keeps going and going and going until I get :mad: :mad: :mad: .

rokamortis
November 3rd, 2006, 05:50 AM

rokamortis
November 3rd, 2006, 05:51 AM
x

BeauFoster
November 3rd, 2006, 06:22 AM
In every one of those sports you mention, the teams that make it are based solely on win-loss record. There is no committee deciding which teams are in and which are out so there is no comparison.

But those teams play each other throughout the season, so the record is more indicative of actual competitiveness. The strength of schedule for one Eastern Conf. hockey team is essentially the same as all the other teams in the EC. They play each team so they know who is best head to head. USD hasn't too many other teams in I-AA, and those that they have played are, for the most part, bottom dwellers.

DetroitFlyer
November 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
First I agree that if USD defeats Jacksonville and Dayton, they should receive a bid. Secondly, if it were not for Jim Harbaugh PUBLICALLY making his case and garnering the type of national attention he has for USD, we would not even be having this discussion. The I-AA, old guard, and of course you all know who you are, would never support a USD bid. Even the PFL and our wonderful::rolleyes: commish, would not support a bid.... USD and Jim Harbaugh have in fact exposed a flaw in the I-AA playoff system. Yeah, I know you do not like it, and still cling to the notion that I-AA is good and BCS is evil, but simply put, you are not right. The I-AA selection process is very subjective as is the BCS system. If you want to continue pounding the BCS system, and proclaiming the virtures of I-AA, clean up your own house first and foremost. IF USD does not get a bid with a 10-0 record, ( and I think they will ), I look forward to Harbaugh's disgruntlement and the ensuing national media coverage! The only hope of this not occurring if USD is left out would be Jimbo having the job at Stanford wrapped up and simply not caring anymore....

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 07:54 AM
:nod: That's why I laughed a couple of weeks ago when a USD fan said Harbaugh was good for I-AA. He's nothing but a blowhard who doesn't know anything about I-AA and doesn't care to know.

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
Sure the A10 2nd place is going to be better than the PFL champ....
:thumbsup: Should have stopped there Steven. End of discussion. BTW, a team could be 11-0 and not get the A10 auto.

dungeonjoe
November 3rd, 2006, 08:04 AM
If SD based on their schedule gets in to the playoffs, then the Southern Conference should force Davidson to play a SoCon schedule or get out of the SoCon. Afterall, there is no difference between schollies and non schollies based on SD's supposed success and ability to play against all I-AA teams.

GGASU
November 3rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
Lafayette doesn't give football scholarships and they got a at large bid last year with a gpi in the 30-40 range(I don't remember exactly)

Lafayette gave ASU a scare in Boone, and gave the mountaineers a much better game than power conference co-champion Southern Illinois.

SD is a talented team, and will give anyone they play fits. Montana fans should be careful what they wish for, another California team may come into Grizzley Land and make it one and out again.

GGASU
November 3rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
Lafayette doesn't give football scholarships and they got a at large bid last year with a gpi in the 30-40 range(I don't remember exactly)

Lafayette gave ASU a scare in Boone, and gave the mountaineers a much better game than power conference co-champion Southern Illinois.

SD is a talented team, and will give anyone they play fits. Montana fans should be careful what they wish for, another California team may come into Grizzley Land and make it one and out again. ;)

RabidRabbit
November 3rd, 2006, 08:35 AM

This game (USD vs MT/Poly/App St) is a 64 seed vs a #1 seed. It's only of interest in what the final margin would be. xcoffeex

Whoever get the "advantage" of playing USD will love it. Those of us that appreciate tight games wouldn't. Ok David, we may have to let you stand in to play, but 99 out of 100 times, Goliath will win.

BTW, UCD is open on the 11th, so shift your game vs Dayton to the 18th, play them both, and that way the selection committee can see if you can hang with a "strong" (but only at 43 schollies) program, at least you'd have 2 "quality" wins if beat UCD. However, I'd project that UCD would pound you.

IaaScribe
November 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
I'm getting quite the chuckle over this thought of a crush of "national media" coverage of this "injustice" if San Diego doesn't get in.

The coverage will be of drunken lout Harbaugh crying that his team is getting screwed. That's it. No expose of the grand "wrongdoings" of the I-AA playoff system.

Undefeated Charleston Southern would have much more of an argument than undefeated San Diego, even with Chuck South's weak schedule. At least CSU would have beaten some decent full skolly teams (Liberty, Coastal, Gardner-Webb).

IaaScribe
November 3rd, 2006, 08:37 AM
I'm getting quite the chuckle over this thought of a crush of "national media" coverage of this "injustice" if San Diego doesn't get in.

The coverage will be of drunken lout Harbaugh crying that his team is getting screwed. That's it. No expose of the grand "wrongdoings" of the I-AA playoff system.

Undefeated Charleston Southern would have much more of an argument than undefeated San Diego, even with Chuck South's weak schedule. At least CSU would have beaten some decent full skolly teams (Liberty, Coastal, Gardner-Webb).

Eaglegus2
November 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Sounds like Harbaugh has a loaded gun to the head of the Selection Committee. If they don't get in he will bring in the media to plead his case.

Pure and simple............play a tougher schedule and then get into the playoffs.

All of these references to other sports is BS.

RabidRabbit
November 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
BTW, UCD is open on the 11th, so shift your game vs Dayton to the 18th, play them both, and that way the selection committee can see if you can hang with a "strong" (but only at 43 schollies) program, at least you'd have 2 "quality" wins if beat UCD. However, I'd project that UCD would pound you.

Dane96
November 3rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
First I agree that if USD defeats Jacksonville and Dayton, they should receive a bid. Secondly, if it were not for Jim Harbaugh PUBLICALLY making his case and garnering the type of national attention he has for USD, we would not even be having this discussion. The I-AA, old guard, and of course you all know who you are, would never support a USD bid. Even the PFL and our wonderful::rolleyes: commish, would not support a bid.... USD and Jim Harbaugh have in fact exposed a flaw in the I-AA playoff system. Yeah, I know you do not like it, and still cling to the notion that I-AA is good and BCS is evil, but simply put, you are not right. The I-AA selection process is very subjective as is the BCS system. If you want to continue pounding the BCS system, and proclaiming the virtures of I-AA, clean up your own house first and foremost. IF USD does not get a bid with a 10-0 record, ( and I think they will ), I look forward to Harbaugh's disgruntlement and the ensuing national media coverage! The only hope of this not occurring if USD is left out would be Jimbo having the job at Stanford wrapped up and simply not caring anymore....

Oh boy:

"THE OLD GUARD IS KILLING US....PLEASE STOP THE OLD GUARD"

"HARBAUGH SINGLEHANDIDLY HAS PUT I-AA ON THE MAP....HE IS MOSES, THE PROPHOT M, and J.C., all wrapped into one."

I can't wait for those remarks to come out......

Yeah, let me see.....this is what should really be said:

"I AM APPALLED AT THE A.D. and HARBAUGH FOR PUTTING THEIR/OUR TEAM IN THIS SITUATION KNOWING WE/THEY WERE GOING TO HAVE A TOP SQUAD....they should have scheduled some heavyweights....I mean really, since the days of the PL fighting for a bid...we knew the "rules" of playoff entry."

Oh...and DetroitFlyer...how has Harbaugh "exposed" a playoff flaw?! You do know the term "WOOFED", correct? You do know that Cal Poly, CCU, and Wofford (hint...I just put into quotes), already exposed what a great record and a weak schedule gets ya'?

Eaglegus2
November 3rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
San Diego needs to get into a league that has the auto-bid. Their fans are like kids waiting for Santa.

Santa isn't coming until you are a good football team and play in a league with an auto-bid.

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2006, 08:45 AM

...yeah, a better shot than USD he says... just shot yourself in the foot there...

There is also something called a 'Gridiron Classic' on 11/18... hope USD losses and ends this nonsense...

IaaScribe
November 3rd, 2006, 08:57 AM

Mr. C
November 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM
Regional rankings?? No such thing. Where do you think this thing called East coast bias comes from? People like San Diego fans.
Yes, Virginia, there are Regional Rankings. The NCAA I-AA selection committee does conference calls every Monday after a particular point in the season to discuss playoff stuff. There is a regional chairman for the east, south, midwest and west and there are sub-committee members from each region, who advise these chairmen before they go to Indianapolis. If you check some of the archives of I-AA.org, you will find some columns dealing with the selection process. Anyway, the regional committee rank the teams in their region every week and this information is then passed along to the full selection committee during their Monday teleconferences. For example, in the south (and this is just speculative rankings, not anything from any committee member I might actually know) the four sub-committee members might have App State ranked first, followed by Coastal Carolina, Furman, Hampton, Charleston Southern, Delaware State, South Carolina State, Gardner-Webb and any other team that still has a legitimate shot at being playoff eligible. The different regions all do this and then pass that information along in the teleconferences, so that committee members have an idesa about what experts in each region think about teams. Hope this clears some things up for you.

Black and Gold Express
November 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM

Much as I'd prefer they give the spot to the #1 seed, I think that a USD/UM scrimmage... er... game would be the pick for ESPN2/U/Gameplan.

The way Montana packs them in is a big selling point. The potential for a blizzard gives it that different feeling they sometimes like to showcase. If USD were to steal a more deserving team's spot and get in they'd be the media darlings for sure, and they do have a "name" head coach.

Add it all up and there's your TV game.

Just another reason to hope the committee does the right thing and shows schools like USD that there's no free tickets to this party, they have to be earned.

crunifan
November 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM
I'm at the point now where I completely support San Diego getting into the playoffs. That way after a team like Appalachian State, UMass, or Illinois State pounds you into the ground we don't have to hear what you guys would have sounded like had you not gotten in.

McNeese72
November 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM

I haven't read many of the San Diego message strings until now. But something just dawned on me. If the NCAA selection committee just happens to select San Diego (I don't think there is much chance in my opinion), it might mean that if we win out and get the Southland autobid (or whoever wins the Southland), we or Southland winner might not have to travel to Missoula for the first game. And that would be a good thing. :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

Doc

Slammer50111
November 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=Poly

Upsets happen, but that doesn't necessarily mean the team that won is the more talented squad. Play the game 3 times, and who knows? When many of the top conference races are determined by 1 game, there is no way you can definitively say that the team that won is the best.

Reading this discussion makes me want to xlolx but then it keeps going and going and going until I get :mad: :mad: :mad: .[/QUOTE]

So by this logic does that mean the team that wins the playoffs is not always the best team in I-AA?

HensRock
November 3rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
I think USD is too good for the I-AA Playoffs.
Harbaugh should be starting a media campaign to go to BCS Bowl game.

USD belongs in the Rose Bowl !!!

GO TOREROS !!!!

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 09:27 AM
San Diego needs to get into a league that has the auto-bid.
Don't need to go that far. GSU, YSU, CalPoly, FAU, Hofstra... all made the playoffs as Independents.

eaglesrthe1
November 3rd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Torero,

I-AA football always gives the BCS a hard time, but San Diego being in a major media market and a coach with easy access to coverage in the major press with have them all over this... A highly ranked USD team snubbed from the playoffs, GPI says they are in and they don't get selected? An undefeated team leading most of I-AA statistics doesn't get in? MAN ON MAN, the media will have a field day explaining that I-AA football has as many problems as the big boys. Harbaugh is fired up about this and isn't afraid to share his feelings... especially to the media.

Harbaugh probably already has his map out for this one. Guess which path he would take.

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 09:31 AM
The times of the posts have apparently been shifted by 12 hours. Anybody know what's going on here?

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 09:39 AM

SD is a talented team, and will give anyone they play fits. Montana fans should be careful what they wish for, another California team may come into Grizzley Land and make it one and out again. ;)

don't drag Lafayette into this . . we play in an "equivalency" non-scholarship league . . and we went 8-3 against a legitimate schedule, with wins over the A-10 South champion and No. 12 Lehigh.

huuuuge difference xcoffeex

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM

That comment was for teams making the BCS game and losing (ie Boise State arguement) It wasn't in reference to the I-AA playoffs.

BisonBacker
November 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
I'd like to see them play NDSU. I think they would see where they belong after that game.

BisonBacker
November 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
I'd like to see them play NDSU and they'd know what a good team is.

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
To be honest... i don't think most people realize there are infact regional rankings... and that is why San Diego is GIDDY at this point! :nod:

Yes, Virginia, there are Regional Rankings. The NCAA I-AA selection committee does conference calls every Monday after a particular point in the season to discuss playoff stuff. There is a regional chairman for the east, south, midwest and west and there are sub-committee members from each region, who advise these chairmen before they go to Indianapolis. If you check some of the archives of I-AA.org, you will find some columns dealing with the selection process. Anyway, the regional committee rank the teams in their region every week and this information is then passed along to the full selection committee during their Monday teleconferences. For example, in the south (and this is just speculative rankings, not anything from any committee member I might actually know) the four sub-committee members might have App State ranked first, followed by Coastal Carolina, Furman, Hampton, Charleston Southern, Delaware State, South Carolina State, Gardner-Webb and any other team that still has a legitimate shot at being playoff eligible. The different regions all do this and then pass that information along in the teleconferences, so that committee members have an idesa about what experts in each region think about teams. Hope this clears some things up for you.

BisonBacker
November 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
I'd like to see them play NDSU, Cal Poly and Montana and then they'd see just how good or not they are.xidiotx

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
To be honest... i don't think most people realize there are infact regional rankings... and that is why San Diego is GIDDY at this point! :nod:

but that doesn't mean that there are four teams selected from each region. which is why you're DELUSIONAL if you're giddy with your potential "regional ranking".

BisonBacker
November 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
I'd like to see them play NDSU, Cal-Poly and Montana or Appy and they'd see just how good they are not. xidiotx

BEAR
November 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM
OK. Let me understand this. USD plays UC Davis last game of the year. But if they go undefeated up to the last game then UC Davis will go ahead and cancel the last game so USD can make the playoffs in exchange for some cash and another home game? :eyebrow: UCA has played UC Davis and in my opinion USD will not beat UC Davis..which might be backed up by the fact that UC Davis is willing to cancel that game...:eyebrow:

Am I understanding that right? Isn't that paying off your losses so you don't lose? or is there something I'm missing in this picture? :confused:

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM
A committee is necessary in I-AA to prevent teams like USD from getting in. .

are you serious... xlolx xlolx xlolx

SDFan
November 3rd, 2006, 10:33 AM

It was always stipulated in the contract from my understanding. They will know the minute USD knows.

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
The difference here is that in most of those sports, all the teams face a relatively even level of competition, so the records actually mean something relative to each other. 8-0 USD doesn't mean jack when compared to 8-1 App St. App has a loss, so they must be worse, right? xidiotx

A committee is necessary in I-AA to prevent teams like USD from getting in. They clearly have not proven themselves (no, beating Yale doesn't prove anything), and you can talk about all your wonderful stats till you're blue in the ears, but it doesn't mean a damn thing until you BEAT REAL OPPONENTS.

And I can't believe you people really believe that only conference champs should get in. Upsets happen, but that doesn't necessarily mean the team that won is the more talented squad. Play the game 3 times, and who knows? When many of the top conference races are determined by 1 game, there is no way you can definitively say that the team that won is the best.

Reading this discussion makes me want to xlolx but then it keeps going and going and going until I get :mad: :mad: :mad: .

That seems silly to me a committee was created to keep certain teams out. Do they have a committee name? Is it the Old Guard i've heard about? :nono:

putter
November 3rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
to be honest, a little place in the back of my head, has a funny feeling that because of the record and GPI USD may get in. Don't ask me why......

Torero Tradition
November 3rd, 2006, 10:49 AM
to be honest, a little place in the back of my head, has a funny feeling that because of the record and GPI USD may get in. Don't ask me why......

You think USD is deserving?

UAalum72
November 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Don't need to go that far. GSU, YSU, CalPoly, FAU, Hofstra... all made the playoffs as Independents.
Being an independent actually makes it easier to get in the playoffs than being in a non-autobid league; you can schedule seven or eight games against top teams instead of being at the mercy of the bottom-feeders of your own conference who can't or won't improve - which doesn't hurt if you're in an autobid conference.

For all the 'so what?' about USD's win over Yale, it's a better OOC win than anybody in the ENTIRE MEAC. The MEAC has exactly one win over a Division I team with a winning record - an overtime win over 5-3 Tennessee St.

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 12:53 PM
That seems silly to me a committee was created to keep certain teams out. Do they have a committee name?
Kinda hurt your cred there TT.

GOTOREROS
November 3rd, 2006, 12:53 PM

Well stated. I agree that the SoS will be the only thing keeping us out of the playoffs and I am prepared for the bad news on the 18th....

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Being an independent actually makes it easier to get in the playoffs than being in a non-autobid league; you can schedule seven or eight games against top teams instead of being at the mercy of the bottom-feeders of your own conference who can't or won't improve - which doesn't hurt if you're in an autobid conference.
I disagree. It's not the Davidson and Valpo games that are killing USD, it's the Azusa Pacific and Dixie State games. There's nothing wrong with having 3-4 patsies on the schedule, cripes every team out there has them. It's when you can't find 3-4 quality opponents on the schedule. Being in a conference helps in that you're guaranteed X number of home games a year. Being Indy, you've got to find 11 opponents, half of which agree to come to your house.

Tod
November 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
The I-AA playoffs are exclusive and flawed, even if San Diego gets in. The only way to make the playoffs legit, is to allow all selections to be settled on the field. People are arguing for 3rd and 4th place teams over San Diego, but SOS aside, what right does a team who can't even win it's conference have to play for a national title?

With the current system I'm not saying San Diego deserves a shot, but the current system is certainly flawed. Anytime you are letting people select the field, bias' will play into it.

Give all league champs an automatic berth, don't let in any 2nd place teams. That lets the selections be decided on the field. Sure the A10 2nd place is going to be better than the PFL champ, but if they can't win their league, they don't have a right to be NC IMHO.

Of course it will never happen and the selection process makes for good discussion every year. Maybe the World Series teams in baseball can be picked by a panel in the future?

Steve

That giant sucking sound you just heard is eight Big Sky teams applying for membership in the PFL. ;) :D

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM

Steve

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Huh?

1) Baseball has wild cards - defined as teams that don't win their conference. :eek: Same for pro football, basketball, and hockey, the World Cup, the Olympics, and the rest of sports in college, high school, and sports on almost every level. Get it?

But heck, let's cancel all sports competition because championships are flawed and exclusive. In fact, we might hurt somone's feelings, so let's not keep score.

I could go on. Really.

usdtoreros
November 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

Huh?

1) Baseball has wild cards - defined as teams that don't win their conference. :eek: Same for pro football, basketball, and hockey, the World Cup, the Olympics, and the rest of sports in college, high school, and sports on almost every level. Get it?

But heck, let's cancel all sports competition because championships are flawed and exclusive. In fact, we might hurt somone's feelings, so let's not keep score.

I could go on. Really.

In every one of those sports you mention, the teams that make it are based solely on win-loss record. There is no committee deciding which teams are in and which are out so there is no comparison.

usdtoreros
November 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM

Maybe before you try ripping into someone's post, you should try to understand what they are talking about. The "they" TT is talking about taking their money and gaining from the experience is Boise State as AZ brought up in the original post, NOT USD. Now if you want to argue that Boise State would get any money in the BCS National Championship, go ahead.

th0m
November 3rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
USD apparently getting word that they have a better chance at the playoffs then everyone thinks on AGS! I think you would be surprised to find out how the regional rankings are going right now by the committee members.

Regional rankings?? No such thing. Where do you think this thing called East coast bias comes from? People like San Diego fans.

Steven Bryant
November 3rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Exactly right. In college basketball, sure they let a ton of teams into the playoffs, but every league champ is there too. Since it's impossible for college football teams to play everyone in a season, there's no way to base selection on won/loss records, because as we see, not all schedules are equal. However all teams in the same league do play the same league teams, so they are allready doing the job of deciding who should go to a playoff for us from that league. Then there are no disputes, you win your league, you go, you don't, you stay home.

Steve

UAalum72
November 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
I disagree. It's not the Davidson and Valpo games that are killing USD, it's the Azusa Pacific and Dixie State games. There's nothing wrong with having 3-4 patsies on the schedule, cripes every team out there has them. It's when you can't find 3-4 quality opponents on the schedule. Being in a conference helps in that you're guaranteed X number of home games a year. Being Indy, you've got to find 11 opponents, half of which agree to come to your house.
Most leagues will always have a couple of bad teams. You've only got three or four chances to schedule a quality OOC opponent; sometimes you can schedule Delaware or Georgia Southern, beat them, and then be told 'but they're not very good THIS year'.

LeopardFan04
November 3rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
Exactly right. In college basketball, sure they let a ton of teams into the playoffs, but every league champ is there too. Since it's impossible for college football teams to play everyone in a season, there's no way to base selection on won/loss records, because as we see, not all schedules are equal. However all teams in the same league do play the same league teams, so they are allready doing the job of deciding who should go to a playoff for us from that league. Then there are no disputes, you win your league, you go, you don't, you stay home.

Steve

So even though maybe 4 teams (or more) from one conference are better than any from another conference...one and only one should go to the playoffs from each? I think team's would completely reevaluate what conference they are in and which team's they are aligned with...this would make out of conference games meaningless, and would reward teams from weaker conferences, because they can get in playing a much weaker schedule...for instance, almost all (or maybe all this season :rolleyes: ) of the A-10 teams are better than the Patriot League teams...so come the playoffs only say UMass and Lehigh should go to the playoffs, and JMU/UNH, etc. should be left out? The NCAA used to run the basketball tournament this way, it didn't work.

usdtoreros
November 3rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
So even though maybe 4 teams (or more) from one conference are better than any from another conference...one and only one should go to the playoffs from each? I think team's would completely reevaluate what conference they are in and which team's they are aligned with...this would make out of conference games meaningless, and would reward teams from weaker conferences, because they can get in playing a much weaker schedule...for instance, almost all (or maybe all this season :rolleyes: ) of the A-10 teams are better than the Patriot League teams...so come the playoffs only say UMass and Lehigh should go to the playoffs, and JMU/UNH, etc. should be left out? The NCAA used to run the basketball tournament this way, it didn't work.

Can anyone say 2005 NL West or pre-2004 AL Central? There are plenty of examples of leagues run each way. The argument to only allow conference winners in makes sense because if you aren't even the best team in your conference, how can you be the best team in the country. But it breaks down with the fact that many teams that get left out are going to be better than many teams that get in, plus the idea of teams trying to avoid tough conferences.

GOTOREROS
November 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Most leagues will always have a couple of bad teams. You've only got three or four chances to schedule a quality OOC opponent; sometimes you can schedule Delaware or Georgia Southern, beat them, and then be told 'but they're not very good THIS year'.

Both AZUSA and Dixie St are scholarship programs. AZUSA has some guys who were NCAA inelgible and transfered there to keep playing. Dixie St. is a former JUCO which is now a 4 year DII scholarship program.

So yes, they are both non-DIAA but its not as if they are completly devoid of talent. Again, they are not I-AA scholarship but they do have some good players.

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
You need to give me some real world examples. The PFL has 8 teams so that's 7 conference games and 4 opportunities outside of the PFL to improve the SOS. How about a schedule of SacSt, Cal Poly, UC Davis and Yale? IMO that would be enough to be considered decent, no? We already know that USD had UC Davis on the schedule (just in the wrong week) and they turned down Cal Poly and played Yale. So that's only one game they're missing from what I would consider decent. Turn down Cal Poly and get Azusa and Dixie instead... there's nobody to blame outside of the USD athletic department.

89Hen
November 3rd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Both AZUSA and Dixie St are scholarship programs. AZUSA has some guys who were NCAA inelgible and transfered there to keep playing. Dixie St. is a former JUCO which is now a 4 year DII scholarship program.

So yes, they are both non-DIAA but its not as if they are completly devoid of talent. Again, they are not I-AA scholarship but they do have some good players.
Wow, I can't believe you'd even try to defend that. :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: xidiotx

AggiePride
November 3rd, 2006, 02:57 PM

xlolx

Pathetic.

DB_Atlantic10
November 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM

Steve

This is the most off-base idea I've heard to date....:nonono2:

AggiePride
November 3rd, 2006, 03:06 PM

Steve

Forgot to take your IQ medication, eh?

smallcollegefbfan
November 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM

Ratings would be good for about 15 minutes until the score gets out of hand.... :D

smallcollegefbfan
November 3rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
Solution to USD's hijacking of AGS: Everyone just ignore them and they will go away..... HOPEFULLY haha

But seriously, good luck to USD. I say improve your SOS and then talk about playoffs.

P.S. I have heard that you guys could go undefeated and you will still be excluded. I seriously wonder who told Harbaugh that they were going to the playoffs if they win out. Rumor is that most of the ADs said USD would get little or no consideration no matter what they do.

henfan
November 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM

Important to note that regional committees are only charged with making recommendations to the Selection Committee. The Selection Committee has not used those recommedations exclusively (or nearly so) when choosing at-large candidates. What you'd really need is someone on the Selection Committee gung-ho to award a playoff birth to a 10 win team with a comparatively weak strength of schedule.

Those of us who have been around this thing for 15-20 years realize that, after number of D-I wins, strength of schedule has traditionally been THE element that has influenced at-large decisions the most. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen this year for San Diego. It just depends largely on what happens to some teams on the bubble with considerably stronger strength of schedules.

Also key to note that Terry Wanless from Sac St. and Bobby Williams from SHSU are on both the Playoff Selection Committee and are members of the West Regional Committee. I'd have to imagine the San Diego spin-meisters have been working Wanless & Williams pretty good for the last month or so.

Poly Pigskin
November 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM

henfan
November 3rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
This is the most off-base idea I've heard to date....:nonono2:

Not only is it off base and shallow; it's completely dangerous to the well-being of I-AA football. It has no chance of ever happening. Imagine how new leagues would be created and gerrymandered to produce more autobids.

Seems like a much easier solution for teams without auto-bid access now to either upgrade their noncon schedules or invest more in their programs to gain births to auto-bid leagues.

Tribe4SF
November 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Good Grief!!!:bang:

USD fans now want to restructure the playoffs so only conference champions get in. So if San Diego loses their last two games, Drake deserves to be in? Puhhhleeeze!!!

lucchesicourt
November 3rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
The bottom line is USD COULD have scheduled a few GWFC teams, but they thought TWO GWFC games would be too DIFFICULT. Hence, they chose just to play UCD, KNOWING they could opt out if they were invited to the playoffs, thus negating playing ANY GWFC teams. I brought up the fact in early October about UCD's open date on 11/11, and I believe they really want nothing to do with UCD, and would rather opt out than play them, protecting their playoff opportunity. This is a COWARDLY way to protect your schedule from being defeated by a VERY GOOD team when you can play POOR to MEDIOCRE teams, and make your team look better than they really are. I believe UCD would destroy USD, but we may never know as they have NOT played anyone as good as UCD.

Steven Bryant
November 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Good Grief!!!:bang:

USD fans now want to restructure the playoffs so only conference champions get in. So if San Diego loses their last two games, Drake deserves to be in? Puhhhleeeze!!!
Well, I first brought it up, and I'm not a USD fan, but I'm not in favor of rewarding teams with a shot at NC title, if that can't even win their own league. It's like giving everyone a trophy in little league.

Of course it will never happen be made to where only confrence champs get in, but the system now is broken and needs to be overhauled. I'd go as far to say the BCS system is better, because at least with it there is a system in place that places the teams, and not some commitee making backroom deals, basing their picks on who knows what.

In a way, I hope San Diego doesn't make it, and Harbaugh makes a big deal out of it, and maybe we can actually get some reform. I doubt the national media will really care about whats going on in I-AA anyway.

Steve

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
Well, I first brought it up, and I'm not a USD fan, but I'm not in favor of rewarding teams with a shot at NC title, if that can't even win their own league. It's like giving everyone a trophy in little league.

Of course it will never happen be made to where only confrence champs get in, but the system now is broken and needs to be overhauled. I'd go as far to say the BCS system is better, because at least with it there is a system in place that places the teams, and not some commitee making backroom deals, basing their picks on who knows what.

In a way, I hope San Diego doesn't make it, and Harbaugh makes a big deal out of it, and maybe we can actually get some reform. I doubt the natioanl media will really care about whats going on in I-AA anyway.

Steve

this isn't even worth addressing. a system that allows two teams to compete for the national championship is better than a system that allows 16 teams to compete? and there aren't backroom deals . . there's a well-defined criteria in place that rewards teams for playing a competitive Division I schedule.

as far as allowing teams that aren't "league" or "division" champions to compete for a national championship? this happens in every single sport . . MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, soccer, Division II football, Division III football, Divisions I, II and III basketball, and everything else that the NCAA sponsors.

you're a voice in the wilderness, man. bravo xsmileyclapx :rolleyes:

Steven Bryant
November 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
this isn't even worth addressing. a system that allows two teams to compete for the national championship is better than a system that allows 16 teams to compete? and there aren't backroom deals . . there's a well-defined criteria in place that rewards teams for playing a competitive Division I schedule.
Well defined criteria? I see criteria that's open to interpretation only. How do we know when teams meet this criteria? If it was defined, we'd know who is going to the playoffs without having to have a comittee select teams. That's why I said the BCS is a better system. The BCS rankings are completely transparent, and at the end of the season you know #1 vs. #2 will be playing each other. A few years ago in I-AA playoffs #4 was excluded, from a 16 team playoff. That tells me the system is broke.

as far as allowing teams that aren't "league" or "division" champions to compete for a national championship? this happens in every single sport . . MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, soccer, Division II football, Division III football, Divisions I, II and III basketball, and everything else that the NCAA sponsors.
Take out the proffesional sports, because they all play eachother and their playoffs are based on winning only, something that can't apply to colleges. As far as the other NCAA sports, don't all the league champions make the playoffs in baseball, basketball, etc. I have no problem with wildcards as long as all champions are represented. I don't like 3rd or 4th place teams getting in over league champs. Expand the playoffs if you want to keep wildcard teams.

you're a voice in the wilderness, man. bravo xsmileyclapx :rolleyes:
I don't think I'm the only one who thinks the playoffs need fixing. With college sports there can't be a perfect system, but there can be a system better than this.

Steve

GOTOREROS
November 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Well defined criteria? I see criteria that's open to interpretation only. How do we know when teams meet this criteria? If it was defined, we'd know who is going to the playoffs without having to have a comittee select teams. That's why I said the BCS is a better system. The BCS rankings are completely transparent, and at the end of the season you know #1 vs. #2 will be playing each other. A few years ago in I-AA playoffs #4 was excluded, from a 16 team playoff. That tells me the system is broke.

Take out the proffesional sports, because they all play eachother and their playoffs are based on winning only, something that can't apply to colleges. As far as the other NCAA sports, don't all the league champions make the playoffs in baseball, basketball, etc. I have no problem with wildcards as long as all champions are represented. I don't like 3rd or 4th place teams getting in over league champs. Expand the playoffs if you want to keep wildcard teams.

I don't think I'm the only one who thinks the playoffs need fixing. With college sports there can't be a perfect system, but there can be a system better than this.

Steve

Good point about the auto bids in other sports. Somehow in most NCAA sports every sport's conference winner gets an auto bid right? Even if that conference is HORRIBLE. For example, is the IVY champ better than the PAC-10 champ in volleyball? No way not even close, so why do they get an auto bid as a conference? It's the same theory right?

The question is would it be too difficult to implement in football because of the down time required between games etc. In theory it would be great for all conference champs to get a bid, but the reality would not work with time constraints....just my opinion....

Steven Bryant
November 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
The question is would it be too difficult to implement in football because of the down time required between games etc. In theory it would be great for all conference champs to get a bid, but the reality would not work with time constraints....just my opinion....
Division 3 football has a 32 team playoff, so I don't think time is an issue. They could easily expand the I-AA playoffs by 8 teams and include all champs, and keep the at large berths.

Steve

cosmo here
November 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Division 3 football has a 32 team playoff, so I don't think time is an issue. They could easily expand the I-AA playoffs by 8 teams and include all champs, and keep the at large berths.

Steve

there are also twice as many teams in DIII, and their teams only play 10 games

shakdaddy3
November 3rd, 2006, 06:57 PM

In a way, I hope San Diego doesn't make it, and Harbaugh makes a big deal out of it, and maybe we can actually get some reform. I doubt the national media will really care about whats going on in I-AA anyway.

Steve
the BCS is better? are u kidding me? nobody has a fair shot at all because it's based on polls... the champion is not crowd by beating the other best teams in the nation to get to the championship... they are placed their on belief, not on substance...

the playoff system is not broken... it is totally obvious that non-schollie schools will not be as good as schools with scholarships... it's the same thing as in IA with "mid majors" vs. "BCS" conferences.. in IAA, non-schollies = the mid majors and the ones with autobids = bcs conference...

are you going to sit there and tell me that an undefeated Sunbelt team deserves a national championship bid over a bunch of 1 loss major conference teams?

it's amazing how much controversy is happening because of an undefeated mid-major IAA team... they want the playoffs changed just so they can get in... "only league champions should be able to make the playoffs"? what if there is a 3 way tie in a league with team A beating team B, team B beating team C, and team C beating team A... then what? please tell me... flip a coin? some silly tie breaker?

you USD fans need to get over yourselves... the IAA playoffs are great. they don't allow a bunch of schools in it that are mediocre at best like the 64 they allow in basketball... they don't just place people in a championship game because people and computers think they are the best... over the 11/12 game season, the whole country gets a good idea of who is the best and those team get to make the playoffs... sure, there is controversy over the 15th and 16th team in the playoffs... i'd rather have that than controversy of the 1st and 2nd team in the national championship...

so, should high school football change their playoffs to only allow conference champs in the playoffs? when only putting conference champs in the playoffs, doesn't that eliminate AGS?

this is making me sick... i will never post on a USD thread ever again and i hope they move them all to their own special "nobody else cares and is annoyed with USD and their constant complaining and bickering because they didn't schedule anyone good enough to prove they are a playoff team" thread
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

November 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
SteveI know you mean well but many here have followed official discussion about this for years and no, they could not "easily expand the I-AA playoffs by 8 teams and include all champs..." This is not D-III, this is scholarship football at the D-I championship level. There is a different level of commitment within D-I football. You have the BS which spends unlimited, you have the CS which has teams that spend tons and others that spend very little. Listen to Dr. Jon Steinbrecher, Commissioner of the Ohio Valley Conference (from Tuesday's 10/31/06 I-AA WAVES show - http://media.libsyn.com/media/iaawaves/20061031showfinal.mp3 ) describe why there is legislation coming before the NCAA in January that could be enacted as early as May, that would restrict AQs to conferences that have a high level of commitment to the CS. Listen to the reasoning.

http://www.i-aa.org/stats/streams/20061031Steinbrecher50AQ233.mp3

Mustang Man
November 3rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
If they don't... get ready I-AA football, your world will be rocked. Harbaugh will have the major media all over this.

Yawn!!

JohnStOnge
November 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
An undefeated team leading most of I-AA statistics doesn't get in? MAN ON MAN, the media will have a field day explaining that I-AA football has as many problems as the big boys.:

I really don't think that is going to be that big of a deal. Don't get me wrong...I'd like to see them get in because I think it'd be interesting. But it's be like complaing about the University of Louisiana at Lafayette not getting into the BCS championsip after it went undefeated against the Sun Belt then beat Temple, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, and maybe Tulsa (looking for something analogous to Yale) in non conference play. There's an obvious justification for not considering the schedule strong enough to merit inclusion. I mean, as of right now, they haven't played a single team that's ranked in the top 25 of the "mainstream" poll (Sports Network). Sure, there will be an argument to be made that they should be included, but it won't be hard at all to make an argument that they shouldn't.

November 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
... I mean, as of right now, they haven't played a single team that's ranked in the top 25 of the "mainstream" poll (Sports Network)...or either of the other two "mainstream" polls...
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=80343

BigApp
November 4th, 2006, 01:10 PM
I agree...give em a seat at the table....so Montana or Appy can wipe the floor with them.

http://www.xsltblog.com/archives/24805BP~The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excellent.jpg

Guard Dawg
November 6th, 2006, 05:04 PM
it wouldn't even be funny, either team would beat USD by about 40-60 points

Franks Tanks
November 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Torero,

Good point, but a better comparison may be Boise State, the conjecture is that if they run the table they will get a BCS bowl bid. Weak conference but still probably getting an invite to what can be very very loosely compared to gettng into the playoffs. If USD wins out I think they deserve a 16 seed, but thats just my opinion.

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I think that is a fair comparison. At least the difference in I-AA is you get the chance to see how far a team can go. Boise State just gets one game.

Guard Dawg
November 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM
If Harbaugh makes the playoffs this year he might as well leave for a bigger school (michigan state) cause Torero football will never reach that level again!

SDFan
November 7th, 2006, 02:11 AM
If Harbaugh makes the playoffs this year he might as well leave for a bigger school (michigan state) cause Torero football will never reach that level again!

If he stayed, he would be returning with nearly his whole offense, and a lot of his defense.

Something to think about.

November 7th, 2006, 02:11 AM
If Harbaugh makes the playoffs this year he might as well leave for a bigger school (michigan state) cause Torero football will never reach that level again!Go dawgie! Keeping four USD threads alive by yourself!!! What an advocate!!!!!!!!!!!

Steven Bryant
November 7th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Go dawgie! Keeping four USD threads alive by yourself!!! What an advocate!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I think the Guard Dawg gimmick has run it's course.

November 7th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I think the Guard Dawg gimmick has run it's course.errrr... coarse.

November 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM
errrrr... coast

November 7th, 2006, 02:31 AM
errrrrrrrrr... coax

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Get Harbuagh on I-AA waves! After the Dayton win...

Guard Dawg
November 8th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I'm afraid what Harbaugh would tell Ralph... he would probably say he has the best CD collection in the nation

ereiz03
November 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Guard Damg- is it your sole purpose to bash USD football in every possible way? Seriously man.... you've never had one nice thing to say about USD. Get a life.

CopperCat
November 9th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I think that is a fair comparison. At least the difference in I-AA is you get the chance to see how far a team can go. Boise State just gets one game.

That is an excellent comparison! I never thought of that one. USD kind of is the Boise State of I-AA. Not much of a schdule/conference, but somehow they get attention in the polls.:eyebrow:

ucdtim17
November 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM
That is an excellent comparison! I never thought of that one. USD kind of is the Boise State of I-AA. Not much of a schdule/conference, but somehow they get attention in the polls.:eyebrow:

No it's not a good comparison because Boise is playing a full schedule of 85schollie teams. They destroyed OSU, who later beat USC. There's a much bigger difference between Jacksonville and ASU than there is between OSU and tOSU (or USC for that matter)

ucdtim17
November 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM
When San Diego beats a team who turns around and beats Montana, you might have the beginning of a comparison. As it is now, there's no comparison

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 02:28 PM
When San Diego beats a team who turns around and beats Montana, you might have the beginning of a comparison. As it is now, there's no comparison

Ah yes, the "transitive" powers of football comparisons. There is no such thing in football at it goes both ways for and against USD (i.e. the Yale game)....

:thumbsup:

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Man I hope Yale wins the IVY this year... IVY gets respect... but USD can't?

turfdoc
November 9th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Does anybody remember the Alcorn State fiasco? That was a heck of a playoff game.

When I hear of USD that is all I can think of.

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 03:02 PM
what was the fiasco?

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Torero,

Hello!!!:hurray: xsmileyclapx :hurray: xsmileyclapx :hurray:

ucdtim17
November 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Ah yes, the "transitive" powers of football comparisons. There is no such thing in football at it goes both ways for and against USD (i.e. the Yale game)....

:thumbsup:

It doesn't work, but you also can't completely disregard it. The fact of the matter is, Boise has beaten teams that can not only hang with top-10 teams, but can beat them. San Diego has done no such thing. The comparison is not appropriate

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 03:13 PM
San Diego did more than hang with yale!

ucdtim17
November 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Yes and Yale is not a playoff team nor is it a top-10 team. They're 1 behind UCD in the GPI, but somehow I don't see you beating UCD by 30 points in 2 weeks

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Yes and Yale is not a playoff team nor is it a top-10 team. They're 1 behind UCD in the GPI, but somehow I don't see you beating UCD by 30 points in 2 weeks

Maybe, Maybe not....Any Given Saturday.....right?

Just because Boise beat Oregon State doesn't mean they would beat them again, or beat USC due to that one result......that is the transitive process many here are arguing on both sides. You can certainly use that kind of thought to set point spreads but it does not equal results.

That is all I am trying to say.....

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Any playoff game with Montana I watch. So does every other 1-AA fan.

CopperCat
November 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM

I would disagree with that.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM

It doesn't matter how many fans USD averages, it matters how many folks are in the stadium that is hosting USD. San Diego is a major media market (plus you have southern cal.) Harbaugh is a big time name in football... this game is a no-brainer for ESPN.

San Diego @ Montana 1st Round Action

BigApp
November 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I'd like to see them play NDSU and they'd know what a good team is.

I agree!:nod: :nod:

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 01:14 PM
hopefully in a few years NDSU and USD can play each other

Guard Dawg
November 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
why... NDSU 61
San Cupcake 3

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Davis just almost beat NDSU... i think USD would give Davis a game, if we don't make the playoffs, we shall find out

Guard Dawg
November 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM
What is Harbaugh going to tell his coaches when they don't make it?
Serious question....

GOTOREROS
November 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM
What is Harbaugh going to tell his coaches when they don't make it?
Serious question....

"Pack your bags, we're headed to coach Michigan in a BCS bowl game".......

xlolx

Torero Tradition
November 11th, 2006, 10:26 AM
IMHO, he will not have to if they win today... i've heard the assistant coaches are already getting ready for Montana.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Time to prepare for Montana.... this will be a challenge

placidlakegriz
November 12th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Why prepare for a team you are not going to play???

BigApp
November 12th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Why? Are your Southern Cal coaches taking a retreat up there to prepare for Notre Dame?

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM
What?! USC is hosting Notre Dame this year... so i'm pretty sure the coaches aren't taking a retreat to prepare for that game.

San Diego has a bye this week... and they have a pretty good idea who they will draw... that is why they are preparing for Monana...