SS
7 C.J. Jones (Sr.)

14 Simba Gwashavanhu (So.)

CB
23 Mario Rowson (Sr.)
1 Malcolm Brown (Fr.)

superman7515
September 12th, 2014, 11:03 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2014/09/12/colgate-fond-football-memories-delaware/15527495/

NEWARK – Colgate is an opponent Delaware has rarely met on the football field, but the Blue Hens have managed to make some of those meetings among their most memorable.Delaware has won all five previous games between the schools, two of which ruined unbeaten seasons for Colgate.

The last came in the 2003 NCAA Division I-AA championship game in Chattanooga, Tenn., where Delaware’s 40-0 win remains the only shutout and most one-sided outcome in the final’s 36-year history. Colgate hasn’t been shut out since.

Colgate’s first visit to Delaware Stadium in a 1977 season finale resulted in a 21-3 Blue Hen win in front of 23,029 that cost the previously unbeaten Red Raiders a bowl bid.

When Colgate returns to Delaware Stadium Saturday night for the first time since a 1982 NCAA playoff loss, it’ll be trying to create a little history of its own.

Colgate will be seeking its first win under coach Dan Hunt in the 6 p.m. nonconconference showdown. Hunt, a Colgate staffer for 20 years, was elevated to the top job when Dick Biddle retired last year following 18 seasons at the helm.

“If you’re aware of the history, it’s definitely a big game,” said Hunt, Colgate’s former offensive coordinator. “This is a program that, it’s a great measuring stick for any team out of our [Patriot] league or any team in general to play Delaware. Everyone knows it’s a great program and everyone knows it’s a great environment to play. Our kids will be excited about it.

“I know it’s a challenge, but it’s a great way to say ‘Hey, where are we as a program?’ If we can battle with these guys and go to war with Delaware and have success there, it should go well for us in the future. So our kids are excited. They know this is a way to measure yourself.”...

MR. CHICKEN
September 13th, 2014, 07:42 AM
19673....WE GAVE UP.....UH 100 YARD RUSHER...AGIN' DELAWARE STATE........HORNETS OWN-LAH MANAGED 19 YDS..TOTAL.....AT MONMOUTH...DEY'RE 10 FRESHMEN/RS FRESHMEN & 3 SOPHS ON DUH....YOU-DEE TWO DEEP..........COLGATE'S O-LINE HAS 3 POTENTIAL ALL PATSY'S....& PLENTY UH STARTERS ON BOTH SIDES O' BALL......GET OUT DUH LISTERINE...BROCK.......GONNAH HAVE SOME SORE-THROATS....ON DEFENSE......CAN OURAH PROLIFIC OFFENSE...OUT GUNN 'EM...xconfusedx....IT'S GONNAH RAIN......SPARSE CROWD....SENIOR CITIZENS OPT....FO'...SOFT COOKIES.......&........LAWRENCE WELK RERUNS......RAIDERS HAVE VISIONS O' PAYBACKS......AS HENS ARE UP 5-0........IFIN' DELAWARE LAYS EGG......GONNAH.....BE....UH SHORT FALL IN NEWARK.......HENS ROCK...DIDN'T RUN DUH POOL.....GOOD THING...'CAUSE AH'D CHOOSE.....DUH LADS IN RED/WHITE....xnodx....BRAWK!

ColgateTD
September 13th, 2014, 08:31 AM
THIS IS THE DAY! Retribution for 2003! Ya gotta believe!

MR. CHICKEN
September 13th, 2014, 09:27 AM
THIS IS THE DAY! Retribution for 2003! Ya gotta believe!

19676........................................YIKES !

the last indian
September 13th, 2014, 09:36 AM
This will be a tough one for the Red Raiders. We have a young team and are only in our second year of scholarships. We are not without talent, tho. Clearly a victory would be a big accomplishment, but I have my doubts. Give us 2 or 3 more years with scholarships, and the story might be very different. Nevertheless, I will be rooting for an upset and one never knows how the football with bounce.
I was at the 2003 Championship game. Our QB had a broken hand and the Hens were starting 5-year transfer from FBS programs. Even with a healthy QB I don't think we would have won the game, but it would have been more competitive, IMO.

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2014, 09:42 AM
NOt sure who this guy is but he knows that game.....saw this on the Colgate boards - pretty good stuff - lots of college football history here
http://www.voy.com/227566/8587.html

Nobody overlooked Delaware in 1977 because they were Division II. Delaware was the best Div II team in the 70s, winning 4 "college division"/Division II national titles, and losing in the title game 2 other years. They had several wins over Rutgers, Temple, Navy, and Villanova (a true I-A team at the time). Delaware averaged 9.4 wins/season during the 70s, winning at least 8 every year except for 1977, when they won 6. So 1977 was (relatively) an off year for the Hens, who had 3 losses (including Temple and Villanova) coming into the Colgate game. Delaware looked at the Colgate game as a way to salvage their season. They didn't play the week before, so the Delaware coaching staff, along with several bowl scouts, came to Hamilton to watch the Raiders play Northeastern. There was a letter from a Colgate grad living in Delaware posted on the fb locker room bulletin board, warning the team that the Delaware players and fans had been gunning for the Colgate game for weeks. Though Colgate was favored to beat the Hens, the spreads I saw were less than a TD, and as little as 1 point (Dunkel). Delaware hardly seemed small time when I walked into their stadium, packed with over 23,000 (still one of the largest crowds in Delaware history). I can distinctly remember the psych out stunt the PA announcer performed before the game during Colgate's warm ups, bellowing out that this was the first time a Div I AP top-20 team had visited Delaware stadium, what an honor it was, and so forth.

Colgate outplayed Delaware in the first half, although 3 trips to the red zone yielded only 3 points. It remained 3-0 until late in the 3rd period, when QB Jeff Komlo (who later played for 5 years in the NFL, and later still was on America's Most Wanted for going on the lam to escape a variety of charges) burned the Raiders with a 70-80 yard TD bomb. It was one of the few times the entire season that Colgate trailed in a game, and certainly that late in the game. Henry White had an electrifying kick return to within the Delaware 10 (maybe on the ensuing kickoff), and it seemed that our loss of the lead would be short-lived. But a flag on the play moved the ball back 70 yards. It remained 7-3 well into the 4th, when the Raiders started pushing it. I remember Relph forcing a couple a throws that were picked off, and the D overreacting to a reverse which became a double reverse with the end racing 35 yds for a TD. I didn't realize and accept we would lose until a final Hen TD in the closing minutes. I had attended 14 Colgate fb games at that point, and the only loss I witnessed was the one at Giants Stadium that the refs took from us and handed to Rutgers. It was a somber scene at the hotel hosting the Colgate post-game tunk. A lighted hotel sign announced that Colgate was meeting there, and an endless line of cars honked as they passed. It was a long bus ride home. One fool tried to cheer us up (we'll get 'em next year, next year will be even better, etc) but was quickly silenced. Everyone knew that what was lost we would never have a chance to do again.

The weeks leading up to the Delaware game were a heady time, the high-water mark of Colgate football since the Andy Kerr days. There was an article about the team in Sports Illustrated, and elderly sportswriters and sportscasters who remembered Andy Kerr's teams and the Rose Bowl snub enjoyed talking and writing about Colgate football past and present. Dunlap announced we would be playing Penn State and Syracuse in the early 1980s, and then there was the AP top-20 ranking and speculation over bowl bids. ABC wanted to move the Raider-Blue Hen game to Veterans Stadium in Philly, but Delaware refused. They made the game one of 3 Games of the Week (along with Mich-Ohio St and the ND game), with highlights shown in a 60 minute show. The back page of the NY Daily News only announced the Mich-OSU and Colg-Del games. Those who didn't live through it wouldn't believe the publicity we got, in all honesty probably more than we deserved. Also 1977 began with Mark van Eeghen leading the Oakland Raiders to their first Super Bowl win, and during the 1977 regular season Mark led the AFC in rushing (he'd have his 3rd consecutive 1000+ yard season in 1978). In 1977 Mark Murphy was on the Redskins and Marv Hubbard was with the Lions, and a telecast of any of these teams invariably led to mention of how a small, highly academic school in the middle of nowhere could produce NFL players. The faculty hated it, but for the rest of us it was cool, unique, and something we were all very proud of. I guess you had to be there.

ColgateTD
September 13th, 2014, 12:30 PM
NOt sure who this guy is but he knows that game.....saw this on the Colgate boards - pretty good stuff - lots of college football history here
http://www.voy.com/227566/8587.html

Nobody overlooked Delaware in 1977 because they were Division II. Delaware was the best Div II team in the 70s, winning 4 "college division"/Division II national titles, and losing in the title game 2 other years. They had several wins over Rutgers, Temple, Navy, and Villanova (a true I-A team at the time). Delaware averaged 9.4 wins/season during the 70s, winning at least 8 every year except for 1977, when they won 6. So 1977 was (relatively) an off year for the Hens, who had 3 losses (including Temple and Villanova) coming into the Colgate game. Delaware looked at the Colgate game as a way to salvage their season. They didn't play the week before, so the Delaware coaching staff, along with several bowl scouts, came to Hamilton to watch the Raiders play Northeastern. There was a letter from a Colgate grad living in Delaware posted on the fb locker room bulletin board, warning the team that the Delaware players and fans had been gunning for the Colgate game for weeks. Though Colgate was favored to beat the Hens, the spreads I saw were less than a TD, and as little as 1 point (Dunkel). Delaware hardly seemed small time when I walked into their stadium, packed with over 23,000 (still one of the largest crowds in Delaware history). I can distinctly remember the psych out stunt the PA announcer performed before the game during Colgate's warm ups, bellowing out that this was the first time a Div I AP top-20 team had visited Delaware stadium, what an honor it was, and so forth.

Colgate outplayed Delaware in the first half, although 3 trips to the red zone yielded only 3 points. It remained 3-0 until late in the 3rd period, when QB Jeff Komlo (who later played for 5 years in the NFL, and later still was on America's Most Wanted for going on the lam to escape a variety of charges) burned the Raiders with a 70-80 yard TD bomb. It was one of the few times the entire season that Colgate trailed in a game, and certainly that late in the game. Henry White had an electrifying kick return to within the Delaware 10 (maybe on the ensuing kickoff), and it seemed that our loss of the lead would be short-lived. But a flag on the play moved the ball back 70 yards. It remained 7-3 well into the 4th, when the Raiders started pushing it. I remember Relph forcing a couple a throws that were picked off, and the D overreacting to a reverse which became a double reverse with the end racing 35 yds for a TD. I didn't realize and accept we would lose until a final Hen TD in the closing minutes. I had attended 14 Colgate fb games at that point, and the only loss I witnessed was the one at Giants Stadium that the refs took from us and handed to Rutgers. It was a somber scene at the hotel hosting the Colgate post-game tunk. A lighted hotel sign announced that Colgate was meeting there, and an endless line of cars honked as they passed. It was a long bus ride home. One fool tried to cheer us up (we'll get 'em next year, next year will be even better, etc) but was quickly silenced. Everyone knew that what was lost we would never have a chance to do again.

The weeks leading up to the Delaware game were a heady time, the high-water mark of Colgate football since the Andy Kerr days. There was an article about the team in Sports Illustrated, and elderly sportswriters and sportscasters who remembered Andy Kerr's teams and the Rose Bowl snub enjoyed talking and writing about Colgate football past and present. Dunlap announced we would be playing Penn State and Syracuse in the early 1980s, and then there was the AP top-20 ranking and speculation over bowl bids. ABC wanted to move the Raider-Blue Hen game to Veterans Stadium in Philly, but Delaware refused. They made the game one of 3 Games of the Week (along with Mich-Ohio St and the ND game), with highlights shown in a 60 minute show. The back page of the NY Daily News only announced the Mich-OSU and Colg-Del games. Those who didn't live through it wouldn't believe the publicity we got, in all honesty probably more than we deserved. Also 1977 began with Mark van Eeghen leading the Oakland Raiders to their first Super Bowl win, and during the 1977 regular season Mark led the AFC in rushing (he'd have his 3rd consecutive 1000+ yard season in 1978). In 1977 Mark Murphy was on the Redskins and Marv Hubbard was with the Lions, and a telecast of any of these teams invariably led to mention of how a small, highly academic school in the middle of nowhere could produce NFL players. The faculty hated it, but for the rest of us it was cool, unique, and something we were all very proud of. I guess you had to be there.

I was there also. Pretty good post, Carribbean. But why, oh why do you have "Hen" in your name if you are such a Red Raider fan :)

Gater
September 13th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Video link working for anybody?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Colgate 15-14 at Half!

C'mon 'Gate!

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Video link working for anybody?

unfortunately Yes

Go...gate
September 13th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Second half has just begun.

Go Red Raiders!

R3TRO
September 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Link?

Go...gate
September 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Following on ESPN.com right now.

Gater
September 13th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Link:
http://www.bluehens.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&id=1146875&catid=0&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=29100

18-14 Colgate

Go...gate
September 13th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Nice to see that Colgate has a good kicking game. We have struggled with that recently.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 07:07 PM
TD Colgate!! That was a really nice drive!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Gate DB just made a ridiculous INT!

bulldog10jw
September 13th, 2014, 07:17 PM
When was the last time Delaware was this bad.

Gater
September 13th, 2014, 07:19 PM
25-14 Colgate to start the 4th

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Colgate with what might be costly fumble at midfield....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Delaware makes Colgate pay! TD Hens...2 PT conversion good!

25-22 Colgate, that fumble was huge....

Go...gate
September 13th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Damn.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 07:37 PM
UD forces a 3 and out on 'Gates next drive...UD with a nice punt return, near midfield...

Colgate had the ball and complete momentum before that fumble. UD has the mojo now...

Sader87
September 13th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Colgate should have gone for it....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 07:41 PM
UD converts a 4th and short....

Go...gate
September 13th, 2014, 07:42 PM
C'mon, Colgate.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 07:46 PM
UD down to the Gate 15....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 07:49 PM
TD UD! 0:41 left.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 13th, 2014, 07:51 PM
2 PT Conversion good (great play) 28-25 UD...

That fumble is the difference. UD was dead until that happen...

Go...gate
September 13th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Not going to be easy with 0:41 left.

Go...gate
September 13th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Colgate at the UD 42, 36 seconds remaining.

bulldog10jw
September 13th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Horrible loss for Colgate

Gater
September 13th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Brutal.

Go Lehigh TU owl
UD holds and wins! 28-25 Final....

That's another tough loss for the PL against the CAA. Colgate had their chances.....

Go...gate
Delaware 28, Colgate 25, Final.

A heartbreaker.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 13th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Congrats to Colgate for a good game, y'all should be the class of the PL this year, your new QB came into his own tonight.

TheValleyRaider
September 13th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Damn

RichH2
September 13th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Congrats on great effort and sincere condolences for such a tough tough loss.

ColgateTD
September 13th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks Rich. This one hurts.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Congrats on great effort and sincere condolences for such a tough tough loss.

When you have these teams down you have to step on their throat. You could just feel everything change on that fumble....

crusader11
Congrats to Colgate for a good game, y'all should be the class of the PL this year, your new QB came into his own tonight.

Fordham is the best team until a PL team proves otherwise, IMHO.

Colgate was very impressive tonight, however. This will be a good race for the PLC.

Go...gate
September 13th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Congratulations to Delaware on a great comeback.

Best of luck the rest of the season.

MR. CHICKEN
September 13th, 2014, 08:58 PM
19678.........GOOD GAME GATERS....ALWAYS TOUGH TO BE ON LOSIN' SIDE...O' SUCH AN EXCITIN' GAME......xhighfivex......BRAWK!

superman7515
September 13th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Just got in, hell of a game Raiders. Had us on the edge of our seats until the very end!

Go...gate
September 13th, 2014, 10:53 PM
19678.........GOOD GAME GATERS....ALWAYS TOUGH TO BE ON LOSIN' SIDE...O' SUCH AN EXCITIN' GAME......xhighfivex......BRAWK!

Many thanks, Mr. Chicken.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got in, hell of a game Raiders. Had us on the edge of our seats until the very end!

And thanks to you as well, Superman7515.

superman7515
September 13th, 2014, 11:53 PM
The game winning touchdown from Trent Hurley...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FschO_xQ33w

citdog
September 14th, 2014, 01:55 AM
The Blue Hens are TERRIBLE. Needing a last second miracle to beat a second rate team from an 80th rate conference is EMBARRASSING,

Go...gate
September 14th, 2014, 02:02 AM
The Blue Hens are TERRIBLE. Needing a last second miracle to beat a second rate team from an 80th rate conference is EMBARRASSING,

Strong words from an Honorary Patriot Leaguer.

C'mon, Citdog. Tell us how you really feel. xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
September 14th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Congrats to the Hens. It's not NDSU, but it's a win. And a winning streak!

MR. CHICKEN
September 14th, 2014, 07:54 AM

19681.....AH-GREED POOCHIE.........HOWEVERAH...AH'M STILL IN NEWARK.........DIDN'T MOVE TA MISERYOULAH....TA B-CUM.....UH GRIZZWALD....AN' AVOID DUH CITADEL STIGMA....WHAA...DIDN'T YA....JES' RUN TA....CANADA....xconfusedx.......AWK!

caribbeanhen
September 14th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Hurley.... he almost lost the game for us, but we sure couldn't have won it without him.... he makes plays!

ColgateTD
September 14th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Got a migraine this morning thinking about what could have been. Nice comeback Hens but we kind of gift wrapped it with the fumble; good luck in the CAA the rest of the season. For us, it's on to the PL :(

Gater
September 14th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Colgate was up 11 in the 4th and driving. Hadn't punted or gone three and out in the entire game. Colgate fumbles. Next drive, three and out. Hens make plays and win.
Delaware is now 6-0 against Colgate. Somehow, this is Colgate's 4th most painful lose in the series. Amazing.
Best of luck to the Hens the rest of the way.

superman7515
September 14th, 2014, 11:29 AM
When it comes to Colgate, the Blue Hens just have a horseshoe up their butt.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 14th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Colgate was up 11 in the 4th and driving. Hadn't punted or gone three and out in the entire game. Colgate fumbles. Next drive, three and out. Hens make plays and win.
Delaware is now 6-0 against Colgate. Somehow, this is Colgate's 4th most painful lose in the series. Amazing.
Best of luck to the Hens the rest of the way.

Did Colgate not punt the entire game? Huh, I didn't realize that. There was a 'four and out' with a turnover on downs though I believe.

Fear the Bird
September 14th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Did Colgate not punt the entire game? Huh, I didn't realize that. There was a 'four and out' with a turnover on downs though I believe.

I was well aware as I was the guy at the 20 yelling at Brock to send pressure every third down as we proved over and over again incapable of covering for more than 3 seconds in that awful zone secondary. Most disgusted I've been since arriving in campus in 2001 and I promise I'm the biggest KC hater out there.

superman7515
September 14th, 2014, 12:30 PM
elaware Football...

Gater
September 14th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Colgate converted the one time they went for it on 4th down. They punted at the very end instead of going for it on 4th and inches from their own 35 (or so). Think most coaches would punt, but Colgate often goes for it in these types of situations. Seems like Hunt (in his first year) will go for it on 4th a lot (he did against Ball State from Colgate's own 29 and didn't get it). That being said, Colgate attempted three field goals last year and made four in this game so things are obviously changing.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400558018

Go...gate
September 14th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Good to have a decent kicking game again.

State Line Liquors
September 14th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I'm almost positive Delaware is not a good team, but it ended up being an entertaining game to watch. Colgate's kicker and their QB both look to me like they'll be better than serviceable. Hopefully Colgate, like Pitt, can do quite a bit the rest of the way to make me feel better about UD's performance.