PDA

View Full Version : FCS over FBS

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I looked through a couple of pages but didn't see a dedicated post about this (apologies if there already is one). I haven't really been able to keep up nationally with FCS this last few weeks, I know about NDSU and EKU. Are there others? If so, please post them. Thanks.

Bethune-Cookman 14
Florida International 12

North Dakota State 34
Iowa State 14

Eastern Kentucky 17
Miami (OH) 10

Abilene Christian 38
Troy 35

Indiana State 27
Ball State 20

Northwestern State 30
Louisiana Tech 27

Army 43
Yale 49 1OT

Liberty 55
Appalachian State 48 1OT

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2014, 06:54 PM
I took SELA in my AAC pick'em. I was the ONLY one, FBS fans have no clue. I know back in spring I thought Tulane had the upper hand but SELA seems to be the real deal and I'm not sure the Green Wave are any better than last year....

superman7515
September 10th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Bethune-Cookman defeated Florida International in Week 1.

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Bethune-Cookman defeated Florida International in Week 1.

Thank you!

I was looking through the first two weeks...man, there have to be 20 games that were decided by 7 points or less.

skinny_uncle
September 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM
It hasn't been a banner year for the FCS so far.

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2014, 09:48 PM
It hasn't been a banner year for the FCS so far.

I think after last year, it is much harder to sneak up on opponents...especially mid-level FBS that absolutely do not take the games for granted anymore.

I know that is true for Central Michigan...after having to kick a field goal late to beat UNH, they took the game versus Chattanooga very seriously. Their fan base might have been the most respectful I have ever seen of an FCS opponent (at least Chattanooga). Most still picked CMU to win (which is no surprise), but they all had it by a TD or less...which is exactly what happened (20-16). The irony being, they went out the next week and steamrolled Purdue 38-17.

marenlee
September 10th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Way too many close calls. A lot of games were within a score.

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Close but no cigar (7 points or less)

Abilene Christian 37 - Georgia State 38 (-1)
Northern Colorado 12 - UNLV 13 (-1)
Villanova 26 - Syracuse 27 2OT (-1)
Morgan State 28 - Eastern Michigan 31 (-3)
Stony Brook 16 - Connecticut 19 (-3)
Chattanooga 16 - Central Michigan 20 (-4)
Montana 12 - Wyoming 17 (-5)
Western Carolina 31 - South Florida 36 (-5)
Alcorn State 20 - Southern Miss 26 (-6)
SE Missouri State 28 - Kansas 34 (-6)
Central Arkansas 35 - Texas Tech 42 (-7)
McNeese State 24 - Nebraska 31 (-7)
Eastern Washington 52 - Washington 59 (-7)

Ok, maybe not 20...but 13 so far. And some of those were absolute heart breakers because the FCS teams had good leads in a number of them (damn those extra scholarships wearing the FCS teams down in the 4th quarter)

Twentysix
September 11th, 2014, 12:06 AM
I think after last year, it is much harder to sneak up on opponents...especially mid-level FBS that absolutely do not take the games for granted anymore.

I know that is true for Central Michigan...after having to kick a field goal late to beat UNH, they took the game versus Chattanooga very seriously. Their fan base might have been the most respectful I have ever seen of an FCS opponent (at least Chattanooga). Most still picked CMU to win (which is no surprise), but they all had it by a TD or less...which is exactly what happened (20-16). The irony being, they went out the next week and steamrolled Purdue 38-17.

When NDSU was a transitional team we beat CMU by 30 points. They really should have been taking UNH more seriously, I don't know why they would all the sudden start this year.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 11th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Just my opinion but most of the FCS losses this year were more coaching related than anything else.

HailSzczur
September 11th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Just my opinion but most of the FCS losses this year were more coaching related than anything else.

Villanova's was.....had we only run Robertson around the outside where he had success all day instead of right up the gut......

superman7515
September 11th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Villanova's was.....had we only run Robertson around the outside where he had success all day instead of right up the gut......

I'd like to know if it was designed that way because he certainly had a delayed reaction to that run up the gut. It seemed he paused back there longer than you would for a draw play before he started up the middle.

chattanoogamocs
September 13th, 2014, 11:29 PM
A couple more upsets today.

Kudos to ACU...1 point shy of 2-0 in the Sun Belt.

And I am sure Indiana State loved knocking off Dave Letterman's alma mater.

chattanoogamocs
September 13th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Maybe UNI can make it 3 upsets on the day...

7-7 midway through the first quarter in Hawaii.

skinny_uncle
September 18th, 2014, 07:56 PM
A couple more upsets today.

Kudos to ACU...1 point shy of 2-0 in the Sun Belt.

And I am sure Indiana State loved knocking off Dave Letterman's alma mater.

xlolx

SIUSalukiFan
September 19th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I would be really, really surprised if Southern Illinois doesn't show well at Purdue tomorrow.

RabidRabbit
September 19th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I would be really, really surprised if Southern Illinois doesn't show well at Purdue tomorrow.

MVFC is playing B1G in two games this weekend.
WIU @ Northwestern
SIU @ Purdue

I don't have the confidence that the Leathernecks will beat NW, hope they do.
I'm picking the SIU "upset" of Purdue. If SIU feels that they are in the same realm as NDSU/EWU - They should get this basement B1G team for both the $$ and the W.

Gil Dobie
September 19th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I'm going with SIU over Purdue!

marenlee
September 19th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I'm going with SIU over Purdue!

If SIU doesn't beat Purdue, I would be very disappointed. And I think they will be in for a disappointing rest of the season. Purdue is ripe for the pickings.

Gil Dobie
September 19th, 2014, 05:25 PM
If SIU doesn't beat Purdue, I would be very disappointed. And I think they will be in for a disappointing rest of the season. Purdue is ripe for the pickings.

Like the sign said at Game Day, Bad math and Bad Football. :)

Houndawg
September 19th, 2014, 08:03 PM

Purdue should be jacked up since we're one of maybe three possible victories. I like what I've seen from the Dawgs so far but it is possible we're overrated. EIU turned out to be way down from last year and the putting 50 on SEMO wasn't as impressive as it sounds, we were gifted 3 TDs on TOs early. I hope SEMO is better than advertised right now. As long as Malcom Agnew's hamstring holds up we'll be able to break one on anybody from anywhere, he's got a Deji Karim burst right now.

skinny_uncle
September 19th, 2014, 08:28 PM

Purdue is also 9-0 against FCS teams. Time to make a little history?

Thumper 76
September 19th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I think I picked SIU over Purdue in the MVFC pickem, don't F me dogs!!!!

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Central Michigan had to rally to beat Chattanooga then a week later the Chippewas steam rolled Purdue...so yeah, I definitely think SIU has a good shot at knocking off Purdue. I hope they do it, opportunities for FCS are waning for 2014.

Houndawg
September 20th, 2014, 02:12 AM
I think I picked SIU over Purdue in the MVFC pickem, don't F me dogs!!!!

They'll need to do it without the starting RG and RT.

Thumper 76
September 20th, 2014, 02:21 AM
They'll need to do it without the starting RG and RT.

I believe!!!!!

*The fact that I just got home from bars closing has nothing or everything to do with that faith.*

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 20th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Purdue put a lot of emotion into the Notre Dame game last week. The Boilermakers played way over their heads. I think SIU is catching Purdue at just the right time.....

Ghost
September 20th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Northwestern St. Demons just kicked a last second field goal to beat Louisiana Tech. Score one for the FCS.

Smitty
September 20th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Who else plays FBS this year?

I know WCU plays Alabama at the end of the season.

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Northwestern St. Demons just kicked a last second field goal to beat Louisiana Tech. Score one for the FCS.

Thanks, I will update the list!

chattanoogamocs
September 27th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Nice win by Yale today...not often you get an FBS on your home turf. 34,000+ in the Yale Bowl.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Liberty takes down App State on homecoming at the Rock 55-48 in OT.

dgtw
October 11th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Not a win, but Charleston Southern lost by one point to Vandy.

CSU18
October 11th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Hate we didn't come away with the W there. Led in pretty much all aspects of the fame. Either way I was pleased - thought it was a good showing.