PDA

View Full Version : Successful 2 QB offenses??

Sycamore62
September 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Can anyone think of a time when a team was better off playing 2 QBs the whole season?

EIU is using 2 QBs this year and TTU also did. I've always thought of this as a bad situation and I realize they may be trying to find out who their starter should be before conference play.

BEAR
September 10th, 2014, 11:49 AM
UCA is under that problem right now.

Our starter is a running qb with short distance accuracy but overthrows the long ball.

Our backup, who was a starter last year, throws a good deep ball but can't run.

The starter is getting most of the playtime of course but it doesn't seem like there is a "starter" for sure. So its both of them playing.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 10th, 2014, 11:53 AM
If you are using two different QBs, you either have a very good QB situation or a not-so-great QB situation. More often than not it's the latter, and that's why people don't think multiple QBs work because they attribute the problems to using multiple QBs and not to just not having overly great QBs to begin with.

Example: Florida used Chris Leak and Tim Tebow in 2006...it worked very well because you had a veteran in Leak and a young QB who would go on to be a very decorated player.

Sycamore62
September 10th, 2014, 11:58 AM
If you are using two different QBs, you either have a very good QB situation or a not-so-great QB situation. More often than not it's the latter, and that's why people don't think multiple QBs work because they attribute the problems to using multiple QBs and not to just not having overly great QBs to begin with.

Example: Florida used Chris Leak and Tim Tebow in 2006...it worked very well because you had a veteran in Leak and a young QB who would go on to be a very decorated player.

ya, i knew there had to be some but they are so hard to remember.

Its funny, you almost never hear about, which QB is the better runner or passer, its one can run and one can pass

msupokes1
September 10th, 2014, 12:06 PM
We are going through that right now as well. Fortunately both QB's looked pretty good against Nebraska.

clenz
September 10th, 2014, 12:13 PM
If you have 2 that are fighting for time after camp you have none.

UNI tried that in 2010 and it failed horribly and ripped the locker-room and coaching staff apart.

I think Florida is the only one that's been successful with it.

There are teams that use 2 QBs but the starter gets 90% of the snaps.

Anovafan
September 10th, 2014, 12:30 PM
If they are truly both QBs, it is hard to do for sure without causing division within the team.

It probably doesn't count, but Nova used two "signal-callers" in the 2009 national championship season with Whitney as the QB and Szczur as the wildcat. If they didn't use Szczur as the wildcat that year they would not have won the NC.

HailSzczur
September 10th, 2014, 01:03 PM
If they are truly both QBs, it is hard to do for sure without causing division within the team.

It probably doesn't count, but Nova used two "signal-callers" in the 2009 national championship season with Whitney as the QB and Szczur as the wildcat. If they didn't use Szczur as the wildcat that year they would not have won the NC.

The difference was Nova switched Szczur in and out of the wildcat seamlessly. It's not like he and Whitney would rotate who was a QB every series, or even like they had to trot another QB off the bench. Szczur was already on the field and Whitney just slid out to WR and blocked (which he could do quite well, he was one of the better blockers on the team).

I remember their being discussion of Nova splitting QB time between Whitney and Antwon Young before Whitney ultimately won the job, but I don't think it ever actually happened

walliver
September 10th, 2014, 01:07 PM
There are two situations where a 2 QB system works well.

1) A triple option offense where the QB takes a lot of pounding. Two QB's can be effective. Sometimes the differences in speed and movements can throw off a defense.

2) A case where you have a primary QB and then a situation QB (but I really wouldn't call that a 2 QB situation)

813Jag
September 10th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I agree if you have two QB's then you have none. Southern's going thru that now, although either can be a capable starter both are Freshmen (one is a redshirt) so there's going to be growing pains with them both.

- - - Updated - - -

UNI tried that in 2010 and it failed horribly and ripped the locker-room and coaching staff apart.

I think Florida is the only one that's been successful with it.

There are teams that use 2 QBs but the starter gets 90% of the snaps.
I've seen that before

Nova09
September 10th, 2014, 02:01 PM
The difference was Nova switched Szczur in and out of the wildcat seamlessly. It's not like he and Whitney would rotate who was a QB every series, or even like they had to trot another QB off the bench. Szczur was already on the field and Whitney just slid out to WR and blocked (which he could do quite well, he was one of the better blockers on the team).

I remember their being discussion of Nova splitting QB time between Whitney and Antwon Young before Whitney ultimately won the job, but I don't think it ever actually happened

It happened plenty. Most significantly the one loss of the year, which was not Antwon's fault at all, but that strange windy day in Durham where it was impossible to move in one direction and a video game the other. Antwon was throwing into the wind because of his better arm strength so we would at least have the appearance of maybe not running the ball every down that direction. It happened a lot more the year before, prior to Ant's injury.

Go Green
September 10th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the U of Washington rotated Mark Brunnell and Billy Joe Hobert at QB en route to a share of the 1991 national title.

And USC did the same thing en route to the 1995 Rose Bowl.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/aug/27/sports/la-sp-0827-usc-kessler-wittek-20130827

Anovafan
September 10th, 2014, 03:55 PM
It happened plenty. Most significantly the one loss of the year, which was not Antwon's fault at all, but that strange windy day in Durham where it was impossible to move in one direction and a video game the other. Antwon was throwing into the wind because of his better arm strength so we would at least have the appearance of maybe not running the ball every down that direction. It happened a lot more the year before, prior to Ant's injury.

Antwon's somersault TD into the endzone that year spelled his demise. The coaching staff didn't trust him anymore. They went with Whitney and the QB controversy, if there was one, was over. It was a blessing in disguise because Whitney played great the rest of the year and won the NC.

The rotation prior to that game, and the season before, was Antwon got the 2nd series of the first half and 2nd series of the second half of each game. I didn't like it, but Antwon deserved to get on the field based on his play.

Back to the topic at hand, I personally don't think a QB rotation works. You need a clear #1 and inspire that guy with the confidence to play like a #1.

tomq04
September 10th, 2014, 04:25 PM
2012 Eagles had no problems (other than home semi finals) swapping snaps between Adams and Padron. Padron was a strong pocket passer and Adams was...Adams.

They never swapped mid drive, but they would swap between drives and often times at the half. The first time VA threw 6 TD's was in that Semi in the 2nd half, after Padron's only TD in the first half was a Pick 6 against Sam Houston. Both QB's ended with 20+ TD's and Vernon had several hundred yards on the ground.

Cocky
September 10th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Can anyone think of a time when a team was better off playing 2 QBs the whole season?

EIU is using 2 QBs this year and TTU also did. I've always thought of this as a bad situation and I realize they may be trying to find out who their starter should be before conference play.

We had our best year ever in FCS last year with a two QB system.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2014, 12:13 AM
The one I remember is Nebraska in 1994-1995 when they had Tommie Frazier (a great runner) and Brook Berringer (a good passer, especially by the standards of the time for Nebraska). The 1995 Cornhuskers team may have been the greatest college football team of all-time; they certainly were one of the most dominant.

Incidentally, Berringer was expected to be taken in the NFL Draft in 1996, but was killed in a plane crash two days before the draft.

JALMOND
September 12th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Portland State is doing it this year with McDonagh and Penn. We did it last year with McDonagh and Ramirez. I don't like it, but it is what it is. I like to think Burton knows a helluva lot more than I do.

McNeese75
September 12th, 2014, 08:47 AM
"Successful" remains to be seen but so far McNeese is going with a 2 QB system

813Jag
September 12th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I guess Saturday will determine how long southern used two QBs

World
September 12th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Princeton has found the solution

Last year they had plays with BOTH quarterbacks in the backfield AT THE SAME TIME

Bisonator
September 12th, 2014, 01:09 PM
"Successful" remains to be seen but so far McNeese is going with a 2 QB system

How's Sams passes looked this year?

McNeese75
September 12th, 2014, 01:23 PM
What passes lol

Bisonator
September 12th, 2014, 01:25 PM
What passes lol

Taking a page right out of Snyders playbook huh???xlolx

Reign of Terrier
September 12th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Wofford, when we've run a good offense (which we honestly haven't in a couple years) usually has run something of a 2 QB system.

The best example was in 2003 when we won the Socon with something of a 50-50 split under center between 2 QBs.

Since then I would actually recommend something of a 75-25% split under center. You need a starter. In the option, you're going to take a pounding, it's good to have a relief guy, especially one with different tendencies than the starter.

For instance, Ben Widmyer was probably one of the best QBs we've had at Wofford. In 2008, Mitch Allen was his backup and eventually grew to be a great, yet underappreciated QB at Wofford. Mitch liked to keep the ball more, whereas Ben Widmyer did everything. When teams were hesitant and focused on defending all of the options, Mitch would just attack and get some good yards.

McNeese75
September 12th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Taking a page right out of Snyders playbook huh???xlolx

:D He actually has a pretty good arm, the targeting system is still unproven

Anovafan
September 12th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Princeton has found the solution

Last year they had plays with BOTH quarterbacks in the backfield AT THE SAME TIME

I thought they did a great job with this and have been advocating for it for years. I am surprised more teams don't do it. If you have a running QB and a passing QB, why not put them in the same backfield? It gives you so many more options.

World
September 12th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I thought they did a great job with this and have been advocating for it for years. I am surprised more teams don't do it. If you have a running QB and a passing QB, why not put them in the same backfield? It gives you so many more options.

there are more problems for the defense with the Princeton 2 QB in the backfield system. Turns out that the great running QB is also an incredible passing QB having broken the NCAA record (all divisions) for consecutive passes completed, 29.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 12th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Antwon's somersault TD into the endzone that year spelled his demise. The coaching staff didn't trust him anymore. They went with Whitney and the QB controversy, if there was one, was over. It was a blessing in disguise because Whitney played great the rest of the year and won the NC.

The rotation prior to that game, and the season before, was Antwon got the 2nd series of the first half and 2nd series of the second half of each game. I didn't like it, but Antwon deserved to get on the field based on his play.

Back to the topic at hand, I personally don't think a QB rotation works. You need a clear #1 and inspire that guy with the confidence to play like a #1.

That was my first thought when I read Nova09's comment! He did that at UNH when Nova had a great drive into a very stiff wind. A huge plus to get a score going into that wind. The ensuing 15 yard penalty on the kickoff into that same stiff breeze gave UNH fantastic field position and they were able to match that score before the quarter ended and they had to switch into the wind!! He basically gave the game back to UNH. On the positive side for you guys, it ended any QB controversy and put Whitney firmly in the #1 slot. Worked out pretty well for you!

McNeese72
September 12th, 2014, 04:17 PM
:D He actually has a pretty good arm, the targeting system is still unproven

I think he figured out one thing. Just get the ball in general vicinity of Kent Shelby and there a good chance of a completion. ;)

Doc

Skyhawk71
September 13th, 2014, 05:37 PM
UTM has a 2 QB system- we call it the NO quarterback system..............I agree with the others before that said if you still have two after camp, you have NONE..........hopefully, one will show up against EKU next Saturday

Go Green
September 13th, 2014, 07:50 PM

Because then your best running back has to sit on the bench.

Can only play 11 guys at a time.

Uncle Buck
September 13th, 2014, 08:48 PM

Stony Brook is doing this and the statement above could not be more true. Terrible!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk