PDA

View Full Version : Western Kentucky votes to go I-A

galojay
November 2nd, 2006, 06:44 AM
Some good coverage from the student paper:
http://www.wkuherald.com/

Another article from the Louisville Courier-Journal:
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061102/SPORTS/611020464/1002/SPORTS

The regents meeting begins at 1pm CST, so be looking for something later this afternoon.

th0m
November 2nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
And do you know when they will announce the result? (didn't read the articles, will do so now ;))

galojay
November 2nd, 2006, 07:07 AM
Media will be present, expect something pretty quickly after the vote. www.wkuherald.com is usually very quick to post news, I would watch that.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 07:25 AM
I hope you guys stay where you belong

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
100% chance they're moving to the Sun Belt.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 07:39 AM
100% chance they're moving to the Sun Belt.

wait? They actually play football in the Sun Belt? Wow, news to me. I always thought it was a graveyard of idiotic I-AA to I-A moves

smallcollegefbfan
November 2nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
I wish Western Kentucky well in moving up. They belong in the Sun Belt IMO. There will be a few more teams going I-A over the next 3-4 years IMO.

smallcollegefbfan
November 2nd, 2006, 07:42 AM
wait? They actually play football in the Sun Belt? Wow, news to me. I always thought it was a graveyard of idiotic I-AA to I-A moves

Most of the teams there do not belong in I-A but WKU does belong in I-A.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 07:56 AM
Most of the teams there do not belong in I-A but WKU does belong in I-A.
How so?

KiddBrewer
November 2nd, 2006, 08:23 AM
man, the chances for this thing to blow up in a ugly mess are scary.....: smh : hope not.....a little over ten thousand average attendance/the sun belt conference/tuition increase.....what are the benefits, must be hidden to me.

KiddBrewer
November 2nd, 2006, 08:24 AM
I wish Western Kentucky well in moving up. They belong in the Sun Belt IMO. There will be a few more teams going I-A over the next 3-4 years IMO.

I hope Appalachians not one of those teams unless they go to a conference worth going to.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
what are the benefits, must be hidden to me.

oh man, come on, you know the prestige that comes with playing Sun Belt football:rolleyes:

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 08:30 AM

Which other teams? I think Montana and JMU are probably the best candidates after WKU.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 08:33 AM
There will be a few more teams going I-A over the next 3-4 years IMO.
Not unless there is a major shake-up in Division I football. Nobody else has a natural home in I-A, so who would and why would they make the jump?

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
ASU- ACC? No way the ACC accepts them right away.

Montana- WAC, MWC, Pac 10- The first two are a possibility but not really much of a step up. The 3rd probably wouldn't happen.

There is no logical place for these teams to go, so I don't see it happening.

MplsBison
November 2nd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Not unless there is a major shake-up in Division I football. Nobody else has a natural home in I-A, so who would and why would they make the jump?

Delaware could make the move and fit pretty naturally in a couple different conferences.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Delaware could make the move and fit pretty naturally in a couple different conferences.

for instance?

Big Least?

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
I'd like to see some I-A squads move down to I-AA.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 08:46 AM
I'd like to see some I-A squads move down to I-AA.

Definitely Temple, Buffalo and Savannah St, any more?

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM

Savannah State is not I-A; it's I-AA non-scholarship (correct me if I am wrong)

Temple and Buffalo without a doubt!
Rice
Louisiana Monroe
Eastern Michigan
Middle Tennessee State
Duke FOOTBALL : smh :
Ball State
San Jose State
Utah State
Idaho

I think these teams would honestly struggle in I-AA.

NoCoDanny
November 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Savannah State has scholarships (not sure how many). But they need to get into the MEAC and off probation before they can have a chance.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Savannah State is not I-A; it's I-AA non-scholarship (correct me if I am wrong)

Rice
Louisiana Monroe
Eastern Michigan
Middle Tennessee State
Duke FOOTBALL : smh :
Ball State
San Jose State
Utah State
Idaho

I think these teams would honestly struggle in I-AA.

My bad.

Duke can't move. The ACC would boot them from the conference as a whole were they to drop down.

th0m
November 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
Don't forget about FIU and FAU.

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
F_U = Big mistake

I could think of 30 I-AA teams that deserve consideration before those schools. Heck, I'd even invite San Diego!

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Don't know about that. :confused:

bobcatalum05
November 2nd, 2006, 09:06 AM

Montana- WAC, MWC, Pac 10- The first two are a possibility but not really much of a step up. The 3rd probably wouldn't happen.

The WAC and MWC play good football. Those two are definetly a step up. Did you not watch Boise State last night. Fresno State hung with USC last year, and TCU, and Utah have all had rescent success. They may not be BCS conferences, but I would jump ship for MWC in a hurry and WAC would be OK too.

Not that Texas State would ever have the chance. If we go DI-A we will probably have to spend some time in the Slumbelt.

The only bad conferences in DI-A football are Slumbelt and the MAC.

Sorry Ralph, just trying to give my honest opinion. I love DI-AA football and love the playoffs, but I still enjoy DI-A even though they are only in it for the money.

th0m
November 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Which other teams? I think Montana and JMU are probably the best candidates after WKU.

There really are only 2 conferences that JMU geographically fits in, the Big East, and the ACC. Neither of those will take JMU right from the bat. Conference USA is an option, but really not a good one traveliing wise. Even they prob wouldn't take a transitional. It took Marshall 8 years of MAC before they went to the CUSA. Virginia Tech was an indy from '78-90, before going to the Big East.

pantherclaw
November 2nd, 2006, 09:33 AM
as some of you may or may not know, a couple of years ago the Slumbelt INVITED Missouri State to join.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 09:33 AM
The WAC and MWC play good football. Those two are definetly a step up.
Once you get past Boise and Fresno... Hawaii and Nevada are borderline weak and the others are very week. What they need to do is ship SDSU and UNLV to the WAC and bring BSU and FSU to the MWC and have one good conference and one bad one. ;)

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 09:39 AM
There really are only 2 conferences that JMU geographically fits in, the Big East, and the ACC. Neither of those will take JMU right from the bat.
How about never in the case of the ACC. I don't see anyone leaving so they are set. The BE does have room for football, but I would have to believe any admittance to the BE would be for football only or wouldn't occur until the non-football members split from the football members. They have 16 schools for other sports. :eek:

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 09:42 AM
How about never in the case of the ACC. I don't see anyone leaving so they are set. The BE does have room for football, but I would have to believe any admittance to the BE would be for football only or wouldn't occur until the non-football members split from the football members. They have 16 schools for other sports. :eek:

Thanks to Duke basketball, it won't happen. Duke's FOOTBALL team better schedule some I-AA nonconference opponents!

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks to Duke basketball, it won't happen. Duke's FOOTBALL team better schedule some I-AA nonconference opponents!

you mean like Richmond? haha, 13-0 shutoutxlolx xlolx xlolx

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 09:44 AM
you mean like Richmond? haha, 13-0 shutoutxlolx xlolx xlolx

After that, maybe Indiana State, Elon, or Northeastern

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 09:46 AM
After that, maybe Indiana State, Elon, or Northeastern

Elon of this year could compete

and remember, Northeastern beat Holy Cross, UD, and UNH, so they might give them a fight

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
Elon of this year could compete

and remember, Northeastern beat Holy Cross, UD, and UNH, so they might give them a fight

Losses to those 3 teams wouled say a lot about DUKE FOOTBALL. Maybe the San Diego Toreros will come up to Durham and challenge Duke in a pillow fight! :asswhip: xlolx xlolx

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Losses to those 3 teams wouled say a lot about DUKE FOOTBALL. Maybe the San Diego Toreros will come up to Durham and challenge Duke in a pillow fight! :asswhip: xlolx xlolx

Well, atleast Duke has the Cupcake Bowl to look forward to. Last game of the season at home against UNC

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 09:53 AM
Well, atleast Duke has the Cupcake Bowl to look forward to. Last game of the season at home against UNC

Appalachian State would embarrass them both! Or even the Duke/UNC all-star team. Only good things to come out of UNC are Fast Willie Parker and Jeff Reed.

Maybe Duke football could schedule a football scrimmage against the Duke women's volleyball team.

PurpleandGold
November 2nd, 2006, 09:53 AM
Why are JMU and Montana the next logical programs to move? I sincerely hope JMU stays put. A.) We haven't proved enough in I-AA to think we could do anything but annually suck in I-A, and B.) I for one enjoy $15-20 ticket prices.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
I for one enjoy $15-20 ticket prices.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

th0m
November 2nd, 2006, 09:55 AM
Appalachian State would embarrass them both! Or even the Duke/UNC all-star team. Only good things to come out of UNC are Fast Willie Parker and Jeff Reed.

Maybe Duke football could schedule a football scrimmage against the Duke women's volleyball team.

I think we play UNC next year...

Should be interesting :rotateh:

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 09:57 AM

Which is why neither will schedule us.

Also, Willie never played at UNC, he rode the bench half the time. If you notice when he plays on MNF, he won't mention UNC, he always names his HS.

th0m
November 2nd, 2006, 10:00 AM

I agree. The BE is a crazy conference right now.

How lucky, JMU will play UNC next year, and Duke the year after :) (and UNC again in 2011)

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Which is why neither will schedule us.

Also, Willie never played at UNC, he rode the bench half the time. If you notice when he plays on MNF, he won't mention UNC, he always names his HS.

Some MNF players mention their elementary school or preschool. Sometimes people who ride the pine end up being NFL All-Stars so don't be embarrassed if you get picked last in a game of backyard football!

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Some MNF players mention their elementary school or preschool. Sometimes people who ride the pine end up being NFL All-Stars so don't be embarrassed if you get picked last in a game of backyard football!

oh yeah, I know, but he said that was the reason in an interview I saw

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 10:10 AM
Other NFL players have little respect for their colleges, too. I get a kick out of players who mention high/elementary schools.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 10:19 AM
People who think they could draw big crowds by simply moving to I-A are sorely mistaken. Just taking JMU for an example (not saying any of your fans are talking about this, just using you as an example)...

instead of having Richmond, W&M, Delaware, etc... coming to Harrisonburg, they'd have Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, Temple... if they're lucky. Think any of them would pack it in Bridgeforth (of course they would have to get a sponsor for the stadium and rename it Tyson Chicken Stadium)?

Louisiana Monroe at Troy = 19,415
North Texas at Arkansas State = 19,141 (Homecoming)
Arkansas State at FAU = 8,129

Furthermore, who are your big games? There is a poll on the ArkSt website asking: "Who do you think is ASU's biggest football rival in the Sun Belt Conference?"

Louisiana-Monroe 18.0%
North Texas 30.8%
Louisiana-Lafayette 21.4%
Middle Tennessee 29.8%

Isn't that kinda sad that they have nobody they really have a rivalry with in their own conference?

Also, don't forget that you would either need to add another women's team, or cut a men's team to make room for Title IX.

arkstfan
November 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Ooo I love a I-A move brings out the claws.

Folks WKU could have had their move put aside very easily. Their Gateway mates could have fought to get them in the MoValley and none of this would be happening. With the MoValley not an option, they are making their move to better position their athletic program.

If nothing else think about it from a marketing standpoint. I think they play 2 games this year in basketball against teams that were on their football schedule and have 13 against teams that would be on a Sun Belt schedule.

As I've noted before the Sun Belt did not invite Missouri State. There was contact to determine if there was any interest in I-A football at Missouri State, lacking that, there was no way the Bears would receive an invite, which is what Chattanoga was told when they inquired about joining.

As to who is Arkansas State's rival.
Louisiana-Monroe 18.0% 28 meetings ever, stAte has won 4 of the last 5. Only played twice between 1990 and 2001.
North Texas 30.8% 16 meetings none between 1990 and 1999.
Louisiana-Lafayette 21.4% 34 meetings with a 7 year gap in there and missed playing in 2003 due to a quirk in the league schedule.
Middle Tennessee 29.8% Week from Saturday will be the 8th meeting ever. No meetings between 1949 and 2001.

Not conducive to rivalries.

Yeah the MAC and the Belt are the bottom of the barrel in I-A, of course the superior CUSA is only 3-3 against the bottom the barrel Sun Belt but them's the breaks.

arkstfan
November 2nd, 2006, 10:46 AM
North Texas at Arkansas State = 19,141 (Homecoming)

Given that it rained up to game time and was televised locally, no shame in that number at all.

MplsBison
November 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Rice
Louisiana Monroe
Eastern Michigan
Middle Tennessee State

Ball State
San Jose State
Utah State
Idaho

Why do you want to drag schools down?

If they want to play up a level that should be their choice.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 10:51 AM

It might not be if the NCAA would actually start enforcing their rules

OL FU
November 2nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
If they announce today, when do they become ineligible for the I-AA playoffs?

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 01:21 PM

Next year.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Not conducive to rivalries.
My point exactly, thank you very much.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Given that it rained up to game time and was televised locally, no shame in that number at all.
No shame, but nothing to move to I-A for.

NoCoDanny
November 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
So when will this annoucement be made?

FlyYtown
November 2nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
YSU would be the dream team for the MAC.... but it will take about 5 years for this to develop.

I will not lie, I've talked with people at YSU and others who work with YSU who have said, they have put much consideration into an indoor practice facility across from Stambaugh near the grass lots and the McDonalds... That may or may not be true.

If they do build that, they would likely expand the east stands about 4000 more seats to make the capacity: 25,000.

From there we'd move to the MAC---but still money is holding us back!

That is not something I've pulled outta my ass either!!!

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
Board of Regents vote just announced: 7-2-1.

Georgia Griz
November 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM
Board of Regents vote just announced: 7-2-1.

Have there been any discussions about invitations from existing D I-A Conferences?

BillLuc1982
November 2nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Why do you want to drag schools down?

Some of those teams (SJSU for example) don't meet I-A attendance requirements.

Skyhawk Nation 24
November 2nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
I would imagine that they would be looking to join the Sunbelt Conference.

bison95
November 2nd, 2006, 03:08 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :smiley_wi

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 2nd, 2006, 03:08 PM

Now that's a reason to get excited....xidiotx

Georgia Griz
November 2nd, 2006, 03:09 PM

I think that they would actually do really well in the Sun Belt. My bro went to school at MTSU and I've seen a few conference games. WKU should be able to hold their own.

lucchesicourt
November 2nd, 2006, 03:09 PM
Is there a transitional period for this move too (1AA to 1A)?

November 2nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Expected.

The Sun Belt has been pressuring them.

Bowl game wishes and crystal ball dreams.

At least they got one NCAA championship in football.

BearsCountry
November 2nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Congrats to WKU!

Seven Would Be Nice
November 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
Good luck to you WKU.:thumbsup: Hopefully you won't spend to much time in the Sunbelt.:bang: :bang:

WYOBISONMAN
November 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
It is a good day to be a Bison fan. Unfortunate that DI-AA is loosing a great program like WKU, but it may well open some important doors for us!

Mountaineer
November 2nd, 2006, 03:14 PM
Good luck Western Kentucky. Wish you would've stayed in I-AA, but all good things must come to an end. ;)

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Have their been any discussions about invitations from existing D I-A Conferences?

They will be in the Sunbelt. I believe they will be eligible for the New Orleans Bowl in 2009.

89Hen
November 2nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Good luck, don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

Georgia Griz
November 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
They will be in the Sunbelt. I believe they will be eligible for the New Orleans Bowl in 2009.

So, there is a transitional period when a program moves to D I-A. I just don't get the whole Transitional Period craze. If you win the necessary football games, then your school should definately be eligible (regardless of how long you have been in your current situation).

wkukid
November 2nd, 2006, 03:22 PM
Next year we'll be paying I-A football. We'll be going to Sun Belt.

Hopefully no hard feelings.

November 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Next year we'll be paying I-A football. We'll be going to Sun Belt...You'll be BS (Bowl Subdivision) in two years after this one. That is the transition period.

NoCoDanny
November 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
They are already in the Sun Belt so no conference to join. Also, no need for a transition period, no playoffs to be eligible for unless they hold you out of the Motor City Bowl?

LeopardFan04
November 2nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Good luck Hilltoppers...

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 03:29 PM
So, there is a transitional period when a program moves to D I-A. I just don't get the whole Transitional Period craze. If you win the necessary football games, then your school should definately be eligible (regardless of how long you have been in your current situation).

Yes - two year transition from I-AA to I-A. Part of it has to do with the fact that I-A players can transfer to I-AA schools without a penalty. Teh Longer ransition period from I-A to I-AA are denifinately needed, since D-II has different eligibility requirements/oversight issues. In addition, time is needed to ramp up the Schollies.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 2nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
"Hal, let's see what they've won!"

From the Sun Belt's "highlight reel": (http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22245&SPID=1817&DB_OEM_ID=4100&ATCLID=290571)

December 17, 2002 - North Texas defeats Cincinnati, 24-19, in the New Orleans Bowl. The upset win in front of a live ESPN audience is the only bowl victory by a Sun Belt school in the five years the conference has sponsored football.

2004 – Troy defeats nationally ranked Missouri 24-14 in a live ESPN telecast only five days after knocking off Marshall 17-15. The Trojans finished the regular season with a 7-4 record and earned a trip to the Silicon Valley Football Classic. North Texas earned a bid to the New Orleans Bowl, marking the first time in the conference’s brief football history that two teams earned bowl bids in the same year.

Conclusion: the New Orleans bowl is the "crown jewel" of the Sun Belt. Let's take a look at the financial health of the New Orleans bowl (http://www.fanblogs.com/bowl_games/006454.php), shall we?

New Orleans bowl gets new date, still needing sponsor

The first bowl game of the year will be... not the New Orleans Bowl. Instead the bowl, which lost its title sponsor after moving the game to Lafayette last season, will be played on Friday, December 22nd. The GMAC Bowl will now be the first bowl game of the year (December 20th).

"It was nice being the first bowl, but it's more important to grow the event in New Orleans," said bowl executive director Billy Ferrante, who worked out the new date with ESPN, which will televise the game. "This benefits the hospitality community because people are more inclined to travel toward the end of the week."

The New Orleans Bowl will likely escape NCAA death knell because moving the game following last season's hurricane may have impacted attendance. Bowl games must maintain a 25,000 paid attendance average or face re-certification.

New Orleans Bowl officials are also hopeful that the new dates will help the game find a new title sponsor.

"We have a financial model in place that allows us to operate without one," he said. "But having a sponsor allows us to put some finer touches on the game and eventually take it to a different level."

Oh brother... xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
They are already in the Sun Belt so no conference to join. Also, no need for a transition period, no playoffs to be eligible for unless they hold you out of the Motor City Bowl?

SunBelt champs go to the New Orleans Bowl. And there is a two-year transition.

Killtoppers90
November 2nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Well thanks for the support, most of you. I loved 1-AA football but I am a WKU fan and will support them regardless! I will miss the folks here and the competition level. But I am hoping for big things in the SBC. I know most of you think this may not be the best place for 1-A (or even 1-AA) competiton but you all must realize that the conference is young and maybe we can help by bring some good football to the SBC. It is a good place to start.

th0m
November 2nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Congratulations on the vote, it looks like at least most heads were in the same direction regarding the 7 votes for. I hope you whoop some Sun Belt ass, and show them what I-AA teams are all about. You will be my new team to watch in I-A! Go Hilltoppers!

PS. So is it definite that you are going to play a I-A slate next year already? How about the stadium?

Hammersmith
Yes - two year transition from I-AA to I-A. Part of it has to do with the fact that I-A players can transfer to I-AA schools without a penalty. Teh Longer ransition period from I-A to I-AA are denifinately needed, since D-II has different eligibility requirements/oversight issues. In addition, time is needed to ramp up the Schollies.
To be picky, it's a notification period, not a transition. Two years after you notify the NCAA that you're going to be reclassifing, it happens instantanously. There are none of the structured steps like a DII to DI-AA school must go through. August 31 you're a DI-AA, September 1 you're a DI-A. Although you must follow I-A rules during this period with the exception of the scheduling requirement during the first year.

relevent bylaws:
20.4.2.1.1 Reclassification from Division I-AA to Division I-A — Notification Requirement.
The president or chancellor from a Division I-AA member institution that intends to petition for reclassification to Division I-A, per Bylaw 20.5.2, shall submit to the Association’s president written notice of the institution’s intention to reclassify. The notice shall be received in the national office (by mail or wired transmission) not later than June 30 two years prior to the September 1 when the institution intends to reclassify to Division I-A. (Adopted: 4/28/05, Revised: 3/8/06)
20.4.2.2 Compliance with Criteria.
If the member has met all applicable division membership criteria of this article (other than scheduling requirements during the first year of reclassification) and has complied for the two years preceding June 1 with all other bylaw requirements as they pertain to the sport in question, the member shall be eligible for participation in the division in that sport effective the September 1 that the institution selects as its effective date. (Revised: 1/10/90, 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02)

RKnight
From the SBC web site

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics3/200/WH/WHRGOTKEWPDZHPB.20061102202006.jpg

New Orleans Bowl Returns Home to the Superdome With New Title Sponsor

At a joint press conference today, bowl officials unveiled a new logo in conjunction with their announcement of a new title sponsor for the New Orleans Bowl. R+L Carriers, a leading LTL motor freight carrier, has signed a three year deal for title sponsorship of the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl.

Following a walkthrough of the Superdome, and a tour of areas still affected by Hurricane Katrina, corporate executives from R+L Carriers and the New Orleans Bowl Executive Committee toasted the partnership over dinner in the French Quarter on Wednesday evening. Billy Ferrante, Executive Director of the Bowl, officially welcomed R+L Carriers to New Orleans, “Bringing a brand new partner on board for the Bowl represents more than just a marketing milestone for this event. R+L Carriers investment in our game is an investment in the hospitality industry as a whole. Their support and confidence in the New Orleans Bowl, is a pledge of support and a vote of confidence in the recovery of our city’s hospitality industry”.

As a leading LTL motor freight carrier with over 40 years of service, R+L Carriers has grown from one truck to a fleet of nearly 13,000 tractors and trailers serving 49 states plus Canada, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. Family-owned and operated, R+L Carriers is dedicated to providing superior service by anticipating their customers' needs and responding to their expectations. This dedication to service has been the driving force behind the company's growth and continued success.

Dewey Gatts, R+L’s VP of Sales and Marketing, recognized the value of the title sponsorship, “The decision for R+L Carriers to participate with the New Orleans Bowl was based on our continued efforts to support the city of New Orleans. As the title sponsor, R+L Carriers will be directly involved with supporting our young men and women at the collegiate level in addition to the enjoyment of national exposure for all our valued employees and customers”.

The R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, which matches the Sun Belt Conference Champion against an opponent from Conference USA, returns to the Louisiana Superdome at 7pm (cst) Friday, December 22nd. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN2. Following Hurricane Katrina, the 2005 New Orleans Bowl was played in Lafayette, LA

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
Two positive announcements for the SunBelt today....

I do know that the MTSU/WKU rivalry will be a positive - and a HUGE game for both.

November 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
20.7.1.1 Division I-AA Member Electing Division I-A Legislation
A Division I-AA member institution may elect to be governed by the legislation pertaining to Division I-A, as follows:

(a) The institution shall file a declaration of intent with the Association's president. The declaration shall be received in the national office (by mail or wired transmission) not later than June 1 preceding the applicable academic year. Any declaration received after that date shall be postmarked not later than May 25.

(b) Once receipt of the declaration has been confirmed, the institution shall not be eligible for inclusion in Division I-AA football rankings or for consideration for the Division I-AA Football Championship.

20.9.7.2 Football Scheduling Requirement I-A
The institution shall schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football games against members of Division I-A. The institution shall schedule and play at least five regular season home games against Division I-A opponents. For purposes of satisfying the scheduling requirement, a contest shall be considered a home contest if it is played in the stadium in which an institution conducts at least 50 percent of its home contests. In addition, an institution may use one home contest against a Division I-A member conducted at a neutral site to satisfy the home-game requirement. (<i>Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04, 1/12/04i>)

20.9.7.2.2.1 Reclassification Opponents. I-A
A reclassifying institution shall be counted as a Division I-A opponent in the year the reclassifying institution must meet the Division I-A scheduling requirements (i.e., year two of the reclassifying process). <i>(Adopted: 4/15/97; Revised: 3/10/04)i>

20.9.7.2.2.3 Provisional Opponents I-A
A Division I-A provisional institution that has been a member of the Association for a minimum of two years may be counted by its Division I-A active member opponents in meeting their Division I-A scheduling requirements. <i>(Adopted: 1/11/94 effective 9/2/94; Revised: 11/1/01 effective 8/1/02)i>

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 03:55 PM
So if I read that correctly, Ralph, WKU will not count as a I-A game for I-A members, but still could count as their I-AA exception? i.e. If MTSU played WKU next year, they could not also play (to count towards the 6 win minimum) a I-AA team? But as long as WKU has at least 5 I-A home games in 2008, they will count as a I-A in 2008?

arkstfan
November 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM

As soon as they notify the NCAA of their intention. I suspect that letter won't go in the mail any time in the next few weeks.

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
As soon as they notify the NCAA of their intention. I suspect that letter won't go in the mail any time in the next few weeks.

I would hope not - just like FAU's letter in 2003 came after the playoffs.

galojay
November 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
WKU will not count as a I-A game in 2007, but will in 2008.

colonel84
November 2nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
FYI - Today WKU voted to go IA in the SunBelt - have hope to one day play in the BCS championship game (lol)

BDKJMU
November 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
I remember about 15 years ago there were 105 IAs. Now there are 119. IAA.org article has 18 moving IAA to IA since 87'
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=81101

How many have had any REAL success- multiple winning seasons and multiple decent bowl games? (I wouldn't even count the crappy New Orleans Bowl- didn't they take a 5-6 North TX one year?) The only 3 teams are Marshall, Boise State and Nevada. Personally, I think that the majority of these teams shouldn't have been allowed to move up since the requirements to move up are set too low. After that, many of the teams that have move up shouldn't have been allowed to stay, because again, the requirements have been set too low.

What are the stadium and avg attendance requirements for moving from IAA to IA? I remember someone posted something about 15,000 once in a 2 yr period. That true? I think a team should have to avg at least 15k attendance for several years in a row. That way most of these IAA caliber masquerading as IAs wouln't have been able to make the move.

What is the stadium capacity requirement? I Think it should be at least 25,000.

Are there any requirements for remaining in IA? If so, what are they? I think any team that averages less than 20,000 for several years in a row should be booted back down. That way 15-20 of these pathetic IAs would get booted back down to IAA where they belong.

89rabbit
November 2nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Best of luck WKU!

KiddBrewer
November 2nd, 2006, 04:46 PM

dont forget a few pretty good players.....hmmm julius peppers and alge crumpler, or maybe some guy named lawrence taylor.

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 04:47 PM
I remember about 15 years ago there were 105 IAs. Now there are 119. IAA.org article has 18 moving IAA to IA since 87'

How many have had any REAL success- multiple winning seasons and multiple decent bowl games? (I wouldn't even count the crappy New Orleans Bowl- didn't they take a 5-6 North TX one year?) The only 3 teams are Marshall, Boise State and Nevada. Personally, I think that the majority of these teams shouldn't have been allowed to move up since the requirements to move up are set too low. After that, many of the teams that have move up shouldn't have been allowed to stay, because again, the requirements have been set too low.

What are the stadium and avg attendance requirements for moving from IAA to IA? I remember someone posted something about 15,000 once in a 2 yr period. That true? I think a team should have to avg at least 15k attendance for several years in a row. That way most of these IAA caliber masquerading as IAs wouln't have been able to make the move.

What is the stadium capacity requirement? I Think it should be at least 25,000.

Are there any requirements for remaining in IA? If so, what are they? I think any team that averages less than 20,000 for several years in a row should be booted back down. That way 15-20 of these pathetic IAs would get booted back down to IAA where they belong.

There are attendance requirements but they don't seem to be enforced.

galojay
November 2nd, 2006, 05:07 PM
Congratulations on the vote, it looks like at least most heads were in the same direction regarding the 7 votes for. I hope you whoop some Sun Belt ass, and show them what I-AA teams are all about. You will be my new team to watch in I-A! Go Hilltoppers!

PS. So is it definite that you are going to play a I-A slate next year already? How about the stadium?

Stadium work starts after this season, ASAP.

Schedule next year, looks like EKU, Chattanooga, Morehead State, UL-Lafayette, Troy, Ball State, MTSU.... so far.

Their will be a mix of I-AA and I-A for the next two years.

th0m
November 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
How many have had any REAL success- multiple winning seasons and multiple decent bowl games? (I wouldn't even count the crappy New Orleans Bowl- didn't they take a 5-6 North TX one year?) The only 3 teams are Marshall, Boise State and Nevada.

Don't forget UConn.

Schedule next year, looks like EKU, Chattanooga, Morehead State, UL-Lafayette, Troy, Ball State, MTSU.... so far.

I saw the renders of the additions. Lookin' good! Again, good luck to you guys in I-A.

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Don't forget UConn.

Those are the four success stories - UConn was a little different due to the membership in the I-A BCS conference.

Nevada, Marshall and Boise all had advantages that many of the others don't - the #1 or #2 state school, lots of media coverage, high (20,000 +) attendance.

SO ILLmatic
November 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
So is this year WKU's last in the Gateway and the rest of the teams will only have 6 conference games til 2008/09?

wkukid
November 2nd, 2006, 05:29 PM

Wow! EKU, ULL, MTSU! Talk about a year of games against our rivals!

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2006, 05:32 PM
Wow! EKU, ULL, MTSU! Talk about a year of games against our rivals!

ULL a WKU rival?

BearsCountry
November 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
ULL a WKU rival?

Basketball

November 2nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
BasketballWhat's that? Orange bouncy ball played by kids in shorts?

redbirdtim
November 2nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
I find it very interesting their male athletes are being jilted on scholarship $$$. I can guarantee you if $1 more than was supposed to would have been spent on male athletes, about 25 "activist" groups would have filed suit and there would have been protests, etc. I want to call up Martha Burk and ask where her and her "friends" were on this one.

Technically, by moving 1-A, they are now going to be in compliance with Title IX. http://www.wku.edu/news/releases06/november/football.html

th0m
November 2nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah I read about that. Very interesting. Makes you wonder of that helped in the voting.

As far as I know, most schools that are not in compliance with Title IX don't have enough female scholarships, not the other way around.

TheValleyRaider
November 2nd, 2006, 06:39 PM
Always sad to see a valued member of I-AA leave, whether by dropping the program or taking a different direction. I can completely understand WKU's desire to keep all sports in one conference (Sun Belt). I do wish them the best of luck in their new endevour. Go Toppers!

The next question becomes what happens next in I-AA. First, the Gateway. Are NDSU and SDSU the next step, thereby hurting the new and very powerful Great West? Or perhaps an OVC school (EIU maybe) switches, given their coming expansion with Austin Peay. When AP joins, the OVC goes to 10 teams, which is slightly unwieldy for a Football conference, IMHO.

Also, seperate question, what happens to the EKU rivalry? Will WKU continue to play EKU every season, using their I-AA exception game every year against the Colonels, or will the rivalry stop when WKU decides it's not in their interest to travel to Eastern every year?

igo4uni
November 2nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
First, the Gateway. Are NDSU and SDSU the next step, thereby hurting the new and very powerful Great West?

Seems logical to me.

FlyYtown
November 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
GO WKU... Kick ASS in I-A.

Hopefully YSU will ne joining you up there in the next 5 years!
GO PENGUINS
GO GATEWAY!

jjthebutcher
November 2nd, 2006, 07:59 PM
Don't forget South Florida.

Good Luck WKU! Hopefully JMU will be in I-A soon to kick you rear!

galojay
November 2nd, 2006, 08:04 PM
So is this year WKU's last in the Gateway and the rest of the teams will only have 6 conference games til 2008/09?

Correct.

BDKJMU
November 2nd, 2006, 08:11 PM

Here's the ESPN article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2647510

"One obstacle Western will face will be the attendance requirement. The NCAA says Division I-A teams must average 15,000 paid attendance for home football games. The Hilltoppers are averaging around 9,500 this season. There are plans to expand their Smith Stadium from 17,500 seats to 22,000."

That answers one of my questions. Again, IMHO a IAA should have to avg 15,000 for several seasons in a row to move up, with a 25,000 stadium, and not drop below 20,000 for several years in a row to stay there.

Good luck to WKU. I hope JMU never makes the move to IA. We'd go from A CHANCE to compete for the playoffs and the national title every year to a below avg IA team in a crappy non BCS conference not much better than the IAA A-10 playing for the opportunity to go to some toilet bowl in a mostly empty stadium that no-one cares about with NO CHANCE to ever compete for a BCS game and IA national title. All those former IAAs that have moved up over the last 15-20 years will never compete for a national title at the IA level, at least in my lifetime. Most, if not all, will never compete in a major (BCS) bowl. WKU got their national title in IAA. They will never be more than an average IA team in a pathetic IA (Sunbelt) conference, and possibly later in a below avg, non BCS C-USA or MAC. The same goes for JMU, Youngstown, or anyone else who moves up to IA in the future. At least our basketball team sucks so bad (JMU was 7-21 in ’03-04, 6-22 in 04'-05', and 5-23 in 05-06' for a combined record of 18-66 the last 3 seasons), even if it got turned around in a few years it would be a few years after that before JMU could even contemplate a move.

BearsCountry
November 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
GO WKU... Kick ASS in I-A.

Hopefully YSU will ne joining you up there in the next 5 years!
GO PENGUINS
GO GATEWAY!

I agree, Bears will be probally be doing the same thing as YSU.

therealbigredrules
November 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
I find it very interesting their male athletes are being jilted on scholarship $$$. I can guarantee you if $1 more than was supposed to would have been spent on male athletes, about 25 "activist" groups would have filed suit and there would have been protests, etc. I want to call up Martha Burk and ask where her and her "friends" were on this one.

Technically, by moving 1-A, they are now going to be in compliance with Title IX. http://www.wku.edu/news/releases06/november/football.html

Or was it premeditated? I would put nothing past Wood and Gary. Just one more reason to love these guys for their forward thinking?????????? What a great way to kill ony anti I-A football due to "Equity".

Don't know, just a thought.

FlyYtown
November 2nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
I agree, Bears will be probally be doing the same thing as YSU.

And why is that???? Nothing against MSU because you have a great sports programs, especially in b-ball.

But you guys have just 1 win this season and once again the attendance plays a rule: you need to average 15,000 to stay in I-A.... That is something you have not done in a long time I do believe....

lucky for ysu: we have an easy ability to upgrade our facilities and the alumni support to do so..

BearsCountry
November 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
And why is that???? Nothing against MSU because you have a great sports programs, especially in b-ball.

But you guys have just 1 win this season and once again the attendance plays a rule: you need to average 15,000 to stay in I-A.... That is something you have not done in a long time I do believe....

lucky for ysu: we have an easy ability to upgrade our facilities and the alumni support to do so..

We are averaging over 10k for a crappy team and have for some time. Upgrade our east side and we are in business stadium wise. We have support money wise if we decide. We also wouldnt have given Terry Allen the contract we did if something isnt going down. We dont have results yet but it give a few seasons when we are ready to make the move and we will be fine. Besides look at WKU other than success on the field, we were very similar to them.

JackJD
November 2nd, 2006, 09:01 PM
...The next question becomes what happens next in I-AA. First, the Gateway. Are NDSU and SDSU the next step, thereby hurting the new and very powerful Great West?...

Gateway asked for info from SDSU Jackrabbits and NDSU Bison a number of days ago in anticipation of the WKU announcement. NDSU and SDSU want to have a shot at the autobid a.s.a.p. The Great West was instantly competitive (some of you found that out!) and the teams seem to have the right chemistry. But, with only five teams and the transition...no autobid to the playoffs. I think in a matter of a few short weeks, you'll all hear about an invite of the Jacks and Bison to the Gateway.

The Great West should then be receptive to the North Dakota Sioux and the South Dakota Coyotes and I think the Great West will continue to hold its own.

GOTOREROS
November 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
WKU is just afraid to play San Diego....admit it WKU fans! Seriously, good luck on the move up. Jack Harbaugh has spoken very highly of WKU during his time at San Diego. It is something from a football perspective we at San Diego can aspire too...congrats!

igo4uni
November 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
WKU is just afraid to play San Diego....admit it WKU fans!

Yes, so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

WKU is very afraid of San Diego!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigApp
November 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
The next question becomes what happens next in I-AA. First, the Gateway. Are NDSU and SDSU the next step...?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you serious? If I'm YSU, I certainly hope not.

Question: How far from Youngstown, Ohio to Fargo, North Dakota?

Answer: It involves a comma.

Should this courtship of NDSU and SDSU occur, you can say goodbye to Y-town. And for good reason.

therealbigredrules
November 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Yes, so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Who is the San Diego you speak of? Does she have a football team?

Artist: Lyrics
Song: Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? Lyrics
Well she sneaks around the world from Kiev to Carolina,
She's a sticky-fingered filcher from Berlin down to Belize,
She'll take you for a ride on a slow boat to China,
Tell me where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

Steal their Seoul in South Korea, make Antarctica cry Uncle,
From the Red Sea to Greenland they'll be singing the blues,
Well they never Arkansas her steal the Mekong from the jungle,

She go from Nashville to Norway, Bonaire to Zimbabwe,
Chicago to Czechoslovakia and back!

Well she'll ransack Pakistan and run a scam in Scandinavia,
Then she'll stick 'em up Down Under and go pick-pocket Perth,
She put the Miss in misdemeanor when she stole the beans from Lima,
Oh tell me where in the world is... Oh tell me where can she be?

Ooh, Botswana to Thailand, Milan via Amsterdam,
Mali to Bali, Ohio, Oahu...!

Well she glides around the globe and she'll flimflam every nation,
She's a double-dealing diva with a taste for thievery,
Her itinerary's loaded up with moving violations,

TheValleyRaider
November 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
The Great West should then be receptive to the North Dakota Sioux and the South Dakota Coyotes and I think the Great West will continue to hold its own.

Even then, the GW still winds up with 5 teams (SUU, UCD, CP, then the new Dakota schools replacing the old Dakota schools). Unless there are plans to have other D-IIs moving up or San Diego jumping to full-scholarship and the GW, how is that good for those teams? They'll be right back where they started 2 years ago, and unless the California teams are thinking I-A themselves, what's their existance in the I-AA landscape going to look like?

BisBison
November 2nd, 2006, 10:32 PM

Should this courtship of NDSU and SDSU occur, you can say goodbye to Y-town. And for good reason.

Why would that follow? One trip every two years isn't that much of a hardship is it? The XDSUs joining the Gateway would give the existing teams two more conference games and one home game each year. Instead of searching for OOC games which could easily be further for the teams to travel to and no guaranty of a home game. If you think it out I don't see this being much of a problem.

Maroons
November 2nd, 2006, 10:36 PM
The WKU/EKU rivalry has 2 more games under the current contract. I have read quotes of the WKU President saying that he has spoken to the EKU President about extending it for 10 (!) years. I believe it would make WKU the only I-A team to play on the road at a I-AA school. To my knowledge, nothing was signed by today's event.

I know he addressed it with our President... but they may back out on the 10 year contract now that the vote is a done deal. I, for one, do not want to see us sign another deal except possibly a 2-year trial deal.

Topper fans think a 10 year deal would put a little distance between us in the all-time standings... but EKU was at a point in the 80's when they could beat up poor I-A teams (45-21 Win in Louisville in 85). That day may come again soon... but I'd rather play it cautious. Don't want to see my Colonels sucked into a demoralizing 10 year deal.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM

I thought you said you got a 1460???? That's the understatement of the year.

The only way Montana goes I-A is if the Bobcats go, and there ain't no conference that wants that sorry azz program....:o :p xlolx :D ....so I guess we're safe in the BSC. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Maroons
November 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
As Western is the Eastern arch-rival, I'm not happy about this. Our rivaly is a great one. Easily one of the best if not the best in I-AA. I'm disappointed that it's being messed with.

For all of the WKU President's talk about losing money while winning the national title and not getting respect and being called "I-AA" in everything and having "international educational prominence" (or whatever)... things will NEVER be the same after this.

Westen will never again sniff a national title in football... will never again get to be the best in their division... will never again be competing on a level playing field.

And neither will Eastern if we follow them which we will inevitably begin talking about.

It all makes me kind of sad.

RabidRabbit
November 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Even then, the GW still winds up with 5 teams (SUU, UCD, CP, then the new Dakota schools replacing the old Dakota schools). Unless there are plans to have other D-IIs moving up or San Diego jumping to full-scholarship and the GW, how is that good for those teams? They'll be right back where they started 2 years ago, and unless the California teams are thinking I-A themselves, what's their existance in the I-AA landscape going to look like?

Actually, it's beneficial to all the Dakotas schools. SDSU/NDSU get into a highly competitive MIDWEST conference for football and are auto-bid eligible conference mates the first year in the conference, and then also mid-Con other sports. UND/USD have a struggling trio of schools that snarfs them into the Great West, and continue without missing a beat. Over the next 5 years, Poly/UCD continue to dominate, UND/USD learn about transition. Also the Big East reorg occurs, and realignment fever hits again, and UND/USD end up in Mid-Con (who'd of thunk?) Shockers figure out they need football to distinguish themselves. Voila! Gateway becomes the MoValley FB (all sports conference). Now the 6 Mid-cons must be the conference for football, as well as all sports, so WIU, SDSU, NDSU rejoin the USD, UND, SUU members in the Mid-Con, and Poly & Davis continue as FB only members. But, since all are eligible and already in auto-bid conferences, rearraignment to a MoValley/Mid-Con happens with no years of anybody NOT being in an auto-bid conference. But this doesn't occur until 2013-2015.

wkukid
November 3rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
I love the WKU/EKU games. They're so much fun. That's the biggest negative for me about leaving I-AA.

WUTNDITWAA
November 3rd, 2006, 06:24 AM
Congrats to WKU! I hope you do well and put a lot of these nay-sayers in their place. I honestly do not understand all the hostility towards 1-A by most 1-aa people. IMO, 1-A should be something we all should be striving for. I love all this talk about national championships being so much better than the so-called no-name bowl games, but the simple truth is they are one in the same. The only people who care about either one are those playing in them and a few hard core football fans. I enjoyed the title game last year, but I would enjoy seeing ASU play somebody in a bowl game just as much. The national championship means we are the best in our division, nothing more, nothing less. It certainly doesn't mean we are better than any 1-A school. IMO, we are a Division One program, so we should be playing in a single Division One football situation. For those of you who think 1-aa football is so wonderful would you like to see a 1-aa for all sports? Certainly everyone would have a far better chance of winning a national championship in basketball, baseball or any of the women's sports. Better yet, why don't we all just drop to D-II so our chances are even greater? After all, it seems the primary goal here is to win national championships. So, why not give your school the best chance to accomplish that? Each university needs to determine how the mission of the athletics department best represents that school. If it's purpose is soley to win national championships, then I think a drop down is in order. If it is to help draw attention to the university and get the name of the school out on the national scene, then perhaps a little different course is required. Evidently, WKU and all these other schools who have moved on are doing it for other reasons than just winning football games and playing for a national championship. All I ever hear here is "we would always be a sub-.500 team," or "we would never win a national championship." Winning against pitiful opponents (which there are plenty of in 1-aa) isn't the most fun thing to do. Yea! We beat the crap out of Who Cares U 65-0! Whoop dee do! Yes Sir! Those games vs Mars Hill, Gardner Webb, Elon, & Wofford really got my blood running! Trust me, I'm not putting those schools down, as they are fine academic schools, but come on, how many of you actually think ASU fans get lathered up to play people like that? A few perhaps, but I can assure you they are in a huge minority. Anyway, I wish WKU the best in their move. I hope ASU is right there with you someday very, very soon.

:thumbsup: I'm not sure how my message got above yours at 7:20 a.m. after you posted this at 1 a.m. Schools need to decide their competition level for themselves.

Killtoppers90
November 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Westen will never again sniff a national title in football... will never again get to be the best in their division... will never again be competing on a level playing field.

As we might not sniff a national title again, but being the best in the division or competing on a level playing field could be within reach after the transition years are over and we get out 1-A legs under us.

Killtoppers90
November 3rd, 2006, 08:30 AM
Congrats to WKU! I hope you do well and put a lot of these nay-sayers in their place. I honestly do not understand all the hostility towards 1-A by most 1-aa people. IMO, 1-A should be something we all should be striving for. I love all this talk about national championships being so much better than the so-called no-name bowl games, but the simple truth is they are one in the same. The only people who care about either one are those playing in them and a few hard core football fans. I enjoyed the title game last year, but I would enjoy seeing ASU play somebody in a bowl game just as much. The national championship means we are the best in our division, nothing more, nothing less. It certainly doesn't mean we are better than any 1-A school. IMO, we are a Division One program, so we should be playing in a single Division One football situation. For those of you who think 1-aa football is so wonderful would you like to see a 1-aa for all sports? Certainly everyone would have a far better chance of winning a national championship in basketball, baseball or any of the women's sports. Better yet, why don't we all just drop to D-II so our chances are even greater? After all, it seems the primary goal here is to win national championships. So, why not give your school the best chance to accomplish that? Each university needs to determine how the mission of the athletics department best represents that school. If it's purpose is soley to win national championships, then I think a drop down is in order. If it is to help draw attention to the university and get the name of the school out on the national scene, then perhaps a little different course is required. Evidently, WKU and all these other schools who have moved on are doing it for other reasons than just winning football games and playing for a national championship. All I ever hear here is "we would always be a sub-.500 team," or "we would never win a national championship." Winning against pitiful opponents (which there are plenty of in 1-aa) isn't the most fun thing to do. Yea! We beat the crap out of Who Cares U 65-0! Whoop dee do! Yes Sir! Those games vs Mars Hill, Gardner Webb, Elon, & Wofford really got my blood running! Trust me, I'm not putting those schools down, as they are fine academic schools, but come on, how many of you actually think ASU fans get lathered up to play people like that? A few perhaps, but I can assure you they are in a huge minority. Anyway, I wish WKU the best in their move. I hope ASU is right there with you someday very, very soon.

Thanks AppMan. Well put and we hope to see you come UP soon too!

GOTOREROS
November 3rd, 2006, 08:37 AM

It's called SARCASM. Do you guys look to fight over every single comment?

GOTOREROS
November 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Who is the San Diego you speak of? Does she have a football team?

Artist: Lyrics
Song: Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? Lyrics
Well she sneaks around the world from Kiev to Carolina,
She's a sticky-fingered filcher from Berlin down to Belize,
She'll take you for a ride on a slow boat to China,

Steal their Seoul in South Korea, make Antarctica cry Uncle,
From the Red Sea to Greenland they'll be singing the blues,
Well they never Arkansas her steal the Mekong from the jungle,

She go from Nashville to Norway, Bonaire to Zimbabwe,
Chicago to Czechoslovakia and back!

Well she'll ransack Pakistan and run a scam in Scandinavia,
Then she'll stick 'em up Down Under and go pick-pocket Perth,
She put the Miss in misdemeanor when she stole the beans from Lima,
Oh tell me where in the world is... Oh tell me where can she be?

Ooh, Botswana to Thailand, Milan via Amsterdam,
Mali to Bali, Ohio, Oahu...!

Well she glides around the globe and she'll flimflam every nation,
She's a double-dealing diva with a taste for thievery,
Her itinerary's loaded up with moving violations,

It's called SARCASM - WKU would roll all over USD. Do you guys look to fight over every single comment? Did you read my entire post at all? AGAIN, congrats and good luck!

LacesOut
November 3rd, 2006, 08:50 AM
AppMan, awesome post.

Good luck WKU. One of the best nicknames in college sports.

REALBird
November 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM

The interesting question is what will the landscape of the GFC/MVC look like if schools follow the "urges" of their respective fans.

YSU fans think they'd be great for the MAC. Well the MAC has like six trillion teams from Ohio and Michigan already. Why add another, unless someone plans on leaving? The teams already have a jacked up schedule because they have a very odd number of teams in the MAC. Does adding YSU suddenly make the MAC any less confusing?

MSU fans talk about the Sun-Belt offering them a few years ago. Isn't this the same school that has 1 win in FB. Just dropped Men's & Women's tennis. MBB is decent, but for all intensive purposes.....Women's athletics seems to be the higher profile sports at Missouri State. So where does MSU go? C-USA? Does it follow WKU to the Sun-Belt? Realistically, the only benefits of going 1-A in football are that you'd be only one of two 1-A teams in your state (Mizzou being the other) and you have THE BENEFACTOR. John Q. Hammons, who would put his name on a see-saw if he could get 15,000 people to sit around and watch the kids play on it.

Alas, there's the Illinois State contingent. We have plans to renovate Hancock Stadium to 24,000 seats. We're ideally located no more than 2 hours from St. Louis and Chicago. About 2 1/2 hours to Indianapolis, and 3 hours to Milwaukee. We have had some success THIS YEAR with two games where 15,000+ attended in our 15K stadium. Now our fans want the ALL or nothing proposal. Big XII or Bust. Only problem.....there's no room in the Big XII. We think the Sun-Belt as an option stinks so bad, we'd rather remain 1-AA in FB. The MAC is appealing, but it's no different than the YSU situation except that it adds a geographic rival in Illinois for Northern Illinois. C-USA would be the best fit, but ideally we're still about 5 years away ourselves. Most of our fans question if leaving the GFC/MVC to go to any other conference would hurt our MBB program, because let's face it they love the Mo. Valley, and why not?

So if YSU, MSU, and ILSU fans all think their teams are leaving for greener pastures, what's the GFC to do? By our timeline the conference will have lost four schools (WKU, YSU, MSU, and ILSU). But currently there are only plans to bring in SDSU & NDSU. Does it raid the OVC? (Murray State, EIU) Does it look to the So-Con (UCA)?

The next few years promises to be interesting with regard to the landscape of 1-AA football and we can thank the jerks in the BcS for all this mess. Super conferences and conference championship games all to generate more revenue and TV has ruined college football.

Tribefan
November 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Good luck to WKU. I really don't get the anger people are showing about this move.

Maroons
November 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
As we might not sniff a national title again, but being the best in the division or competing on a level playing field could be within reach after the transition years are over and we get out 1-A legs under us.

It is true you will be in the most talented division... and you may quickly compete on the same level as the other SBC schools... I'm simply saying you'll never be on a level playing field playing for the I-A title. You'll never be able to amass the advantages of the Ohio States, USCs and Michigans of the of world. I'm not saying that fact is, in and of itself, a reason not to go to I-A... simply that you'll never be on a level playing field for the national title.

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM

With the massive bowl saturation we have now of about 32 bowls (I remember 15 years ago there were only 17) I just don't see one of these toilet bowls thats not even considered one of the top 20 or 25 bowls as exciting as competing in the IAA playoffs. You ask why we don't have IAA for all sports? The reason is because football is a very unique sport. No other sport has a roster size even approaching the 100+ or so that most DI and DIAA football teams have. I don't think the primary goal should be to win national championships, but to at least have a chance to compete for one, ie. a chance to get in the playoffs. (I also think IA should go back to 11 games, keep the league championships, keep the bowls, but also integrate in an 8 team playoffs. Then only 2 teams would play 15 games-teams are playing up to 14 now). ASU or JMU moves up to IA, I don't think they'll ever have that chance. 5 BCS conferences, 65 schools, and really only 50 some have a chance of ever competing for a national title. The other 60 some IAs don't. You say you don't get excited about your games with Gardner Webb, Mars Hill, Elon, and Wofford, and say that most ASU fans are the same way. But I know most ASU fans do get really excited about their games with Furman and GSU, any other SOCon team that is doing really well in a particular season, and a big OOC game or 2 a year (like NC State and JMU this year). Move up to a weak IA conference, likely struggle for a few years, then maybe get above .500 more often than not, and you'd have a few games a year you'd get excited about, but also a bunch you wouldn't. Imagine playing a Sun Belt slate of games. How many of them would you get more excited about playing? "I enjoyed the title game last year, but I would enjoy seeing ASU play somebody in a bowl game just as much." I don't think most ASU fans would feel that way if it was one of these bottom 5-10 bowls of the now 32 bowls. Against another 7-5/6-6 former IAA in a meaningless toilet bowl in mid-late Dec that probably drew less fans and viewers than the IAA title game. Whoop de do! I'd really be excited about that. I wish WKU luck, but I hope JMU never follows the same route. I know some others on here have expressed their desire to see their team go IA. Maybe we could go a poll here, although I don't know if thats possible for every IAA schlorship team.

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2006, 12:40 PM

Note to BigApp: Check a map son. Out here in this great big area west of the Appalachians, there's this country called America, see. And we Americans west of the Appalachians don't have the luxury of having a I-AA school every thirty miles to join up in a conference with. I have a question for you: Is YSU DRIVING to NDSU? I thought not. So, does it really matter if it's over 1,000 miles? UM plays 2 different conference games where the distance is over 1400 miles. There's this new invention called the airplane that lets you get from A to B in a single day! And, they only have to go there every OTHER year, so they can save their pennies....

Christ, you'd think they were being asked to fly to Anchorage....

How do you suppose all those teams in Hawaii's conference feel about having to fly THERE every other year?

AppMan
November 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM

I think it is up to the WKU people to decide where they "belong."

BearsCountry
November 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
So if YSU, MSU, and ILSU fans all think their teams are leaving for greener pastures, what's the GFC to do? By our timeline the conference will have lost four schools (WKU, YSU, MSU, and ILSU). But currently there are only plans to bring in SDSU & NDSU. Does it raid the OVC? (Murray State, EIU) Does it look to the So-Con (UCA)?

The next few years promises to be interesting with regard to the landscape of 1-AA football and we can thank the jerks in the BcS for all this mess. Super conferences and conference championship games all to generate more revenue and TV has ruined college football.

The other two Dakotas are a possibilty.

AppMan
November 3rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Those are the four success stories - UConn was a little different due to the membership in the I-A BCS conference.

Nevada, Marshall and Boise all had advantages that many of the others don't - the #1 or #2 state school, lots of media coverage, high (20,000 +) attendance.

South Florida has had a fairly successful move to 1-A. Played NC State in a bowl last year.

November 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
... I love all this talk about national championships being so much better than the so-called no-name bowl games, but the simple truth is they are one in the same. The only people who care about either one are those playing in them and a few hard core football fans. I enjoyed the title game last year, but I would enjoy seeing ASU play somebody in a bowl game just as much...Well at least you're consistent. You did say that playing a bowl is better than winning a national championship within a week of YOUR OWN TEAM winning the title last year. xidiotx

BeauFoster
November 3rd, 2006, 01:33 PM
Note to BigApp: Check a map son. Out here in this great big area west of the Appalachians, there's this country called America, see. And we Americans west of the Appalachians don't have the luxury of having a I-AA school every thirty miles to join up in a conference with. I have a question for you: Is YSU DRIVING to NDSU? I thought not. So, does it really matter if it's over 1,000 miles? UM plays 2 different conference games where the distance is over 1400 miles. There's this new invention called the airplane that lets you get from A to B in a single day! And, they only have to go there every OTHER year, so they can save their pennies....

How do you suppose all those teams in Hawaii's conference feel about having to fly THERE every other year?

ASU played Hawaii a few years back. We got stomped and the game was on Fox after midnight. I heard that a few of the players enjoyed the trip out there but actually hated the logistics because of all the flight involved.

AppMan
November 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM

bluehenbillk
November 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Congrats to WKU, 1-AA will miss you. Best wishes for a successful jump to 1-A. If Marshall, UConn & Troy can do it, there's no reason you can't.

bkrownd
November 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Hawaii and Nevada are borderline weak

Not any "borderline weak"er than a number of "BCS-conference teams". (As they say, "At least we aren't Indiana!") They have up years and they have down years.

Khan4Cats
November 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
I wish WKU well, starting next Saturday.

As far as competing for BCS or major bowls... I believe that may be pie in the sky thinking. But I can respect their choice as being a decision to keep all of their sports in one conference. Helps build university/product recognition. Would love if Wichita State added football and the Gateway could morph into the Missouri Valley for football. Even if we add the XDSU's.

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Congrats to WKU, 1-AA will miss you. Best wishes for a successful jump to 1-A. If Marshall, UConn & Troy can do it, there's no reason you can't.

UConn and Troy haven't made what I'd consider a successfull move to IA yet. MAYBE a number of years down the road you might be able to say that.

"Of that list, Boise State, Nevada, and Marshall probably would be the only schools that made a successful move. Those three teams have been ranked in the I-A Top 25 several years and have numerous bowl appearances and upsets of the Bowl Championship Series schools."

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 03:13 PM
South Florida has had a fairly successful move to 1-A. Played NC State in a bowl last year.

Same goes for South Florida. Not until they've had:
-multiple winning seasons
-been in several bowls
-upset a few BCS schools, including a couple of ranked teams,
-at least cracked the top 25 once
-avg at least 30k plus in fans for several seasons

would I call it a successful move.

jstate83
November 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Western Kentucky moving to 1A and Sunbelt Conference. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-11-02-wkentucky-division-ia_x.htm)

Western Kentucky to make move to I-A football

OWENSBORO, Ky. (AP) — Western Kentucky University's board of regents approved a move from NCAA Division I-AA to I-A football Thursday.

aceinthehole
November 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM
UConn and Troy haven't made what I'd consider a successfull move to IA yet. MAYBE a number of years down the road you might be able to say that.

"Of that list, Boise State, Nevada, and Marshall probably would be the only schools that made a successful move. Those three teams have been ranked in the I-A Top 25 several years and have numerous bowl appearances and upsets of the Bowl Championship Series schools."

I'm not the biggest UConn fan (well I actually hate the Huskies), but let's be fair. Since UConn left I-AA in 2000:

UConn built a $94 million, 40,000+ seat stadium
UConn has sold out almost every home game to date
UConn is in a BCS conference with multiple bowl tie-ins
UConn has a bowl win (over Akron in the Motor City Bowl)
UConn has had multiple nationally televised games
UConn has wins over Big XII, Big Ten, and ACC teams

Its not really fair to compare UConn with the rest of the other moves to I-A becasue the Huskies had a BCS spot waiting for them. But you can't really call Connecticut's move unsuccessfull, can you?

BearsCountry
November 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Same goes for South Florida. Not until they've been in several bowls, upset a few BCS schools, including at least a ranked team, and at least cracked the top 25 once would I call it a successful move.

They got into a BCS conference, seems pretty successful to me.

JDC325
November 3rd, 2006, 04:21 PM
I'm not the biggest UConn fan (well I actually hate the Huskies), but let's be fair. Since UConn left I-AA in 2000:

Its not really fair to compare UConn with the rest of the other moves to I-A becasue the Huskies had a BCS spot waiting for them. But you can't really call Connecticut's move unsuccessfull, can you?

It is going to be different for every school and their specific situation. Your going to have teams that hit a homerun and some that had no business ever leaving but just because this team has done good or these teams have done bad is no indicator how any other team will do because no two schools are exactly alike. Congrats to WKU and I hope it works out well for you.

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 04:24 PM

I wouldn't call it successfull until they've had:
-been in several bowls

One winning season and bowl game I wouldn't exactly put in the successfull move category yet. Were any of those BCS teams that UConn beat ranked at the time? In all fairness, though, maybe we should give a team a decade and then judge them. Even given that, under these criteria, only Marshall, Boise, and possibly Nevada could be considered successfull moves.

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 04:26 PM
They got into a BCS conference, seems pretty successful to me.

IMHO not until they've had multiple winning seasons, been in several bowls, upset a few BCS schools, including at least a couple of ranked teams, and at least cracked the top 25 once would I call it a successful move.

NorthDakotaBison
November 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
i think dollars are the best measure (being an economist and all)

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
If you have:
-been in several bowls

then I think the dollars would follow

B&G
November 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Sorry if someone has already offered this idea but I'd love to see a Relegation System like they use in European Soccer where the 1-AA Champ could move up automatically and the worst 1-A team would have to move down. Then the 2nd place 1-AA team would play the 2nd worst 1-A team for relegation/promotion rights.

Of course I realize this would and could never happen but I still like the idea.

aust42
November 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Moving up to 1A. There's the right way to do it and the wrong way to do it. Joining the Sunbelt Conference isn't the right way to do it and certainly historically speaking ain't no stepping stone to bigger and better things. Western Kentucky's "move up" to the 1A Sunbelt Conference is laughable and is actually a step down in competition if you believe the Saragin ratings which currently lists 3 1AA Conferences (including the Conference their leaving) ahead of the "1A" Sunbelt. The Sunbelt Conference made up entirely of ex 1AA schools that weren't even successful at that level. The Sunbelt Conference doesn't even avg the minimum 15k attendance "requirement". Good luck and enjoy your "1A" label.

mainejeff
November 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Good luck Western Kentucky! Can't say that I'm really gonna miss you.

shakdaddy3
November 3rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Moving up to 1A. There's the right way to do it and the wrong way to do it. Joining the Sunbelt Conference isn't the right way to do it and certainly historically speaking ain't no stepping stone to bigger and better things. Western Kentucky's "move up" to the 1A Sunbelt Conference is laughable and is actually a step down in competition if you believe the Saragin ratings which currently lists 3 1AA Conferences (including the Conference their leaving) ahead of the "1A" Sunbelt. The Sunbelt Conference made up entirely of ex 1AA schools that weren't even successful at that level. The Sunbelt Conference doesn't even avg the minimum 15k attendance "requirement". Good luck and enjoy your "1A" label.
the problem with your arguement is the assumption that the sagarin ratings are useful, meaningful, and accurate...

with that said, i agree that the sunbelt isn't anything special in IA if special at all.. well, maybe special as in the short bus kind of special :p

well WKU, congrats... i actually mean that.. i want you guys to rock in IA and maybe be that sunbelt team that moves to bigger and better... best of luck fellas... just don't forget your roots xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

DFW HOYA
November 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM

UConn built a $94 million, 40,000+ seat stadium...

Let's not forget who built that stadium...the New England Patriots.

When Bob Kraft was in negotiations over replacing the stadium in Foxboro, he got help from the Connecticut governor to push for money in the legislature on a "down payment" of sorts for an NFL stadium. The Pats ultimately stayed in Massachusetts but the money was appropriated and the timing could not have been better for UConn to leave Memorial Field in Storrs for the plains of East Hartford.

The second was the Big East's open invite to the four I-AA schools to join without paying an entrance fee. Villanova, Georgetown, and (back then) St. John's couldn't afford it--and the league knew it, and UConn couldn't get in either without the stadium deal. With it, they went from being a "basketball school" to a "football school".

Without these two acts, UConn would probably be where UMass is today in the A-10.

Topper1296
November 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM

I haven't read this entire thread (15 pages or how ever long it is), but where else did you expect us to start at in D1A with? I'm no expert the way some of you seem to think you are, but did you expect the SEC to offer us an invite? BTW, don't forget that the Sunbelt as a football conference is only 5 or 6 years old. Everybody has to crawl before they can walk. The conference is showing improvements every year. They were 3-3 vs CUSA this year.

Lastly I would like to say thanks to the Gateway conference for giving us a home. I will continue to follow ya'll and pull for ya'll in the playoffs.

th0m
November 3rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
Here's an interesting question. What if WKU wins out and is at 8-3, and is tied with some other Gateway team that is about equally deserving. Still, they might be 'on the bubble', so to speak. (I'm not saying WKU would be on the bubble at 8-3, this is just hypothetical). Do you think the committee would pick the other team, simply because WKU will be 'deserting' us?

November 3rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
didn't seem to matter for FAU...

Killtoppers90
November 3rd, 2006, 08:56 PM
Here's an interesting question. What if WKU wins out and is at 8-3, and is tied with some other Gateway team that is about equally deserving. Still, they might be 'on the bubble', so to speak. (I'm not saying WKU would be on the bubble at 8-3, this is just hypothetical). Do you think the committee would pick the other team, simply because WKU will be 'deserting' us?
Wouldn't be the first time we should have made the playoffs and got shafted!

Killtoppers90
November 3rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
well WKU, congrats... i actually mean that.. i want you guys to rock in IA and maybe be that sunbelt team that moves to bigger and better... best of luck fellas... just don't forget your roots xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx
Thanks dude! We won't forget and will still pull for our Gateway brothers!

Toppermaniac
November 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
As Western is the Eastern arch-rival, I'm not happy about this. Our rivaly is a great one. Easily one of the best if not the best in I-AA. I'm disappointed that it's being messed with.

For all of the WKU President's talk about losing money while winning the national title and not getting respect and being called "I-AA" in everything and having "international educational prominence" (or whatever)... things will NEVER be the same after this.

And neither will Eastern if we follow them which we will inevitably begin talking about.

It all makes me kind of sad.

I agree. I'm torn regarding the decision. I personally like having an opportunity to make the 1-AA playoffs and play for a national championship, even if no one other than 1-AA fans really give a crap about it. I absolutely loved winning the title in Chatty in 2002. I have no idea if this move will end up being good for WKU, but I'm sure a lot of research and time has been put into it by administrators that have much more info. than I. Unfortunately, in today's college athletic climate, economics issues are the primary driving forces behind all decisions. Thanks for everyone's support.

Toppermaniac
November 3rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
It is true you will be in the most talented division... and you may quickly compete on the same level as the other SBC schools... I'm simply saying you'll never be on a level playing field playing for the I-A title. You'll never be able to amass the advantages of the Ohio States, USCs and Michigans of the of world. I'm not saying that fact is, in and of itself, a reason not to go to I-A... simply that you'll never be on a level playing field for the national title.

True, but realistically, there are only a handful of 1-A schools that ever have a chance to win a national championship. There are many schools in the major conferences (SEC, Big 10, PAC 10, ACC, Big East, etc.) that will never have a chance to win a national championship, but they still draw 60,000 + to their games and have huge fan followings. No, we'll never be an Ohio St., but we can still be a successful program at the 1-A level. Whether we will or not remains to be seen.

ngineer
November 3rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
man, the chances for this thing to blow up in a ugly mess are scary.....: smh : hope not.....a little over ten thousand average attendance/the sun belt conference/tuition increase.....what are the benefits, must be hidden to me.

Agreed. All to be able to play in some ridiculously named bowl game that might bring in some more money. WKU doesn't belong in I-A. I could see it if a team was so dominating at I-AA that there wasn't any decent competition for them. But that clearly isn't the case here. Nothin' more than money. Not just the bottom line, it's the only line.:nonono2:

Toppermaniac
November 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
I haven't read this entire thread (15 pages or how ever long it is), but where else did you expect us to start at in D1A with? I'm no expert the way some of you seem to think you are, but did you expect the SEC to offer us an invite? BTW, don't forget that the Sunbelt as a football conference is only 5 or 6 years old. Everybody has to crawl before they can walk. The conference is showing improvements every year. They were 3-3 vs CUSA this year.

Lastly I would like to say thanks to the Gateway conference for giving us a home. I will continue to follow ya'll and pull for ya'll in the playoffs.

Same here. I will always remain a faithful Gateway fan and pull for every team that makes the playoffs each year. I've loved competing in the Gateway.

Toppermaniac
November 3rd, 2006, 09:48 PM

That thought has certainly crossed my mind as well. If we finish the season at 8-3, that would mean road wins at SIU and UNI, along with a home win against YSU and WIU. Our only conference loss would be a 1 point loss to Ill. St. IF we were not invited to the playoffs, given these credentials, it would be a travesty and a joke. 1-AA football is still NCAA football, so I certainly would hope they would not screw us like that.

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
The Sunbelt Conference doesn't even avg the minimum 15k attendance "requirement". Good luck and enjoy your "1A" label.

If that's true why aren't some of these teams being booted back down to IAA? It ain't a requirement if it ain't enforced. Like I said in previous posts, I think the threshold should be 20k avg for a season at least once in a several year period.

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
True, but realistically, there are only a handful of 1-A schools that ever have a chance to win a national championship. There are many schools in the major conferences (SEC, Big 10, PAC 10, ACC, Big East, etc.) that will never have a chance to win a national championship, but they still draw 60,000 + to their games and have huge fan followings. No, we'll never be an Ohio St., but we can still be a successful program at the 1-A level. Whether we will or not remains to be seen.

By my count, 65 schools in the 6 BCS conferences + Notre Dame. Maybe 2 or 3 schools in each BCS conference, and half the Big East, that have no chance to win a IA title. Any of them drawing 60k plus to games are definitely in the top 50 or so programs and have at least a shot, however small, of winning a IA title. I bet only 20-30 draw 60k+ a year. Thats more than "a handful" of IA schools that have a shot to win a national title. The thing is, right now all those former IAAs that have moved up, with the exceptions of Marshall and Boise, aren't in one of those top 50 programs, but are rather in the bottom 70 or so IAs that really have no shot.

Toppermaniac
November 3rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
By my count, 65 schools in the 6 BCS conferences + Notre Dame. Maybe 2 or 3 schools in each BCS conference, and half the Big East, that have no chance to win a IA title. Any of them drawing 60k plus to games are definitely in the top 50 or so programs and have at least a shot, however small, of winning a IA title. I bet only 20-30 draw 60k+ a year. Thats more than "a handful" of IA schools that have a shot to win a national title. The thing is, right now all those former IAAs that have moved up, with the exceptions of Marshall and Boise, aren't in one of those top 50 programs, but are rather in the bottom 70 or so IAs that really have no shot.

Check the attendance stats for all the SEC schools and you'll see how many fans attend the games. Hell, even UK fills Commonwealth Stadium every week. Same can be said for S. Carolina, Miss. St., Miss, etc.

November 3rd, 2006, 11:05 PM
Wouldn't be the first time we should have made the playoffs and got shafted!Like when was WKU woofed?

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 11:08 PM
Check the attendance stats for all the SEC schools and you'll see how many fans attend the games. Hell, even UK fills Commonwealth Stadium every week. Same can be said for S. Carolina, Miss. St., Miss, etc.

Maybe 20-30 schools is a little low. Maybe 30-40 of the 119 avgeraged 60k+ last year. Not sure if it could be said that Miss, Miss State, or KY have even an extremely remote chance of ever playing for a national title or not. SC with the "Old Ball Coach" certainly has a remote chance in the future as long as Spurrier is there.

Toppermaniac
November 3rd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Maybe 20-30 schools is a little low. Maybe 30-40 of the 119 avgeraged 60k+ last year. Not sure if it could be said that Miss, Miss State, or KY have even an extremely remote chance of ever playing for a national title or not. SC with the "Old Ball Coach" certainly has a remote chance in the future as long as Spurrier is there.

You misinterpretted my post. I wasn't saying those teams had a chance to win a NC. I was saying even though there are many, many 1-A teams that have no chance at winning a NC, they still draw a tremendous # of fans. 77 1-A schools drew an average attendance better than 30,000 last year. In the SEC, 9 of the 12 teams averaged better than 60,000 per game. Only Miss. St., Ole Miss, and Vandy averaged less than 60,000. Miss averaged better than 54,000 and Miss. St. better than 47,000. Vandy was last at 36,000. Only 8 1-AA schools averaged better than 15,000 last year. You tell me where the interest lies. Funny thing is, WKU was 17th in attendance last year, with only YSU in the Gateway averaging a larger attendance in our conference.

Toppermaniac
November 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Here's a link to the site where I obtained the attendance information.

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/index.html

Killtoppers90
November 3rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Like when was WKU woofed?
Nice chip on the shoulder there Ralphie! I was thinking the times we should have had home playoff games but were sent away instead. That has happened recnetly 2004 or 2005 I think.

BDKJMU
November 4th, 2006, 02:33 AM
You misinterpretted my post. I wasn't saying those teams had a chance to win a NC. I was saying even though there are many, many 1-A teams that have no chance at winning a NC, they still draw a tremendous # of fans. 77 1-A schools drew an average attendance better than 30,000 last year. In the SEC, 9 of the 12 teams averaged better than 60,000 per game. Only Miss. St., Ole Miss, and Vandy averaged less than 60,000. Miss averaged better than 54,000 and Miss. St. better than 47,000. Vandy was last at 36,000. Only 8 1-AA schools averaged better than 15,000 last year. You tell me where the interest lies. Funny thing is, WKU was 17th in attendance last year, with only YSU in the Gateway averaging a larger attendance in our conference.

It lists 30 teams avg more than 60k fans, so I was pretty on with that guestimate. Also lists 30 that avg under 20k. As far as I'm concerned, those 30 schools have no business in IA- they're just IAA caliber masquerading as IAs. I also see there's not much diff in attendance between the bottom 35 IAs and top 30+ IAAs, another reason those bottom IAs shouldn't be there. How about E Mich- they're attendance of 5,219 rank below 79 of the IAAs. Heck, alot of high school powerhouses have better attendance than that. Why schools like that are allowed to remain in IA I don't know.

As far as only 8 IAAs averaging better than 15k last year, that just goes to show that none of the rest have any business thinking about IA. Also if WKU was 17th in attendance last year (I'm surprised at that being on 3 yrs removed from a national title) how are you guys going IA. I thought you had to avg at least 15k fans once in a couple yr period.

appst97
November 4th, 2006, 08:30 AM

#90 on the Panthers might disagree

skinny_uncle
November 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Good-bye Hilltoppers. We will miss you.

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM
From the 'Ask the Sun Belt Commish'...

Western Kentucky University. I am delighted that the WKU Board made the decision to move their football to IA. It is a decision they will not regret and it benefits the school tremendously. From a conference perspective, we will welcome them with open arms and shepherd them through the process of the move as we did with FIU, FAU and MTSU. The 2007 year will be their toughest year because so many people already have schedules completed, but they should have a full Sun Belt schedule in 2008 and be eligible for the championship and a bowl appearance in 2009.

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4100&ATCLID=153000&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=4100&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

BigApp
November 4th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Thanks AZGriz, you've really enlightened me.:rolleyes: For the airplane to be such a "new invention" you've certainly been sniffing the fuel fumes.

And for the record, I aint too happy about our current "situation" which you alluded to with your "30 miles" comment, but that's for another thread.

Yes, I do have a map "son", and I bought it at a Flying J WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI. Thanks for that fact check.

Teams generally used to be allowed to play an extra game to pay for that Hawai'i trip. That may or may not be the case now, I don't know. So, check YOUR facts, son.

And, btw, their team is only being asked to fly halfway to Anchorage :smiley_wi Now, how many YSU fans do you expect to make that trip to Fargo? Then, how about that trip to Brookings?

That's not "just one trip", you know. Or, do you need to borrow my map to see that?

bkrownd
November 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Without these two acts, UConn would probably be where UMass is today in the A-10.

Correction: UConn would STILL be second fiddle to the Minutemen if they stayed in I-AA. UConn wasn't a regular contender for the beanpot since what...the 1950's?

Maroons
November 5th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I haven't heard anyone argue that the SunBelt is a bed of roses... so let's not be deceived and think that WKU is gonna be happy with the SunBelt. I doubt they'll make money in the Belt on their football program. And I think the Athletics Department is completely content with that because I think WKU has their eyes on something else and it's not a national title in Football...

...But consider the C-USA model. When it was originally created, it was intended to be a basketball powerhouse and a bunch of schools were united under that pretext. WKU was unlikely for consideration for such a conference without I-A football... but with it, they very well could get invited and that is what I think this is about. The next time the big shuffle goes down, WKU wants to be a player at the table.

It's a risk, I think, and could cost lots of money over a long period of time... but it could payoff big.

And maybe, eventually, the football team will benefit... because it was in the Football void of the C-USA that Louisville rose from nothing.

BDKJMU
November 5th, 2006, 05:26 PM
And maybe, eventually, the football team will benefit... because it was in the Football void of the C-USA that Louisville rose from nothing.

I agree that WKU will be only marginally better football talent wise in the Slum Belt. C-USA might be a different story. Lousiville did go to the Fiesta Bowl in the mid 80s- they had already seen some good success before the C-USA.

EKU05
November 5th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I agree that WKU will be only marginally better football talent wise in the Slum Belt. C-USA might be a different story. Lousiville did go to the Fiesta Bowl in the mid 80s- they had already seen some good success before the C-USA.

Louisville went to the Fiesta Bowl in 1991 (1990 season)...and the only reason they got that bid was because many teams boycotted the game over the state of Arizona not recognizing MLK Jr.'s birthday as a holiday. Even after they trounced Alabama 42-7 they were still only #16 in the final poll. Also, between then and now they had a 1-10 season in which their only win came over a 0-11 Illinois team.

Louisville football rose in stages. C-USA played a roll, but it wasn't the entire story. The new stadium was key as well.

Now as for Western...there are a lot of things that are motivating this move. I-A football opens a lot of doors for a school, and obviously a future conference move could be one of those. It will also get them plent of extra media coverage, and maybe even a regular season game on ESPN every once and a very great while. I think they should have waited longer, but it's not hard to understand why they think this is a good move. Truth be told, I think they're better prepared than most that have attempted the jump...still they will struggle quite a bit.

galojay
November 5th, 2006, 10:05 PM
If that's true why aren't some of these teams being booted back down to IAA? It ain't a requirement if it ain't enforced. Like I said in previous posts, I think the threshold should be 20k avg for a season at least once in a several year period.

Only one team last year didn't meet the 15K requirement in the SBC, ULM. You have two years to meet the requirement and so far this year every SBC is meeting the requirement.

crunifan
November 5th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I wish the Hilltoppers all the luck. Good luck in the SunBelt and make the Gateway proud! Hopefully WKU and UNI can strike something up in basketball later on! Maybe BracketBusters?

dakotadan
November 6th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Actually, it's beneficial to all the Dakotas schools. SDSU/NDSU get into a highly competitive MIDWEST conference for football and are auto-bid eligible conference mates the first year in the conference, and then also mid-Con other sports. UND/USD have a struggling trio of schools that snarfs them into the Great West, and continue without missing a beat. Over the next 5 years, Poly/UCD continue to dominate, UND/USD learn about transition. Also the Big East reorg occurs, and realignment fever hits again, and UND/USD end up in Mid-Con (who'd of thunk?) Shockers figure out they need football to distinguish themselves. Voila! Gateway becomes the MoValley FB (all sports conference). Now the 6 Mid-cons must be the conference for football, as well as all sports, so WIU, SDSU, NDSU rejoin the USD, UND, SUU members in the Mid-Con, and Poly & Davis continue as FB only members. But, since all are eligible and already in auto-bid conferences, rearraignment to a MoValley/Mid-Con happens with no years of anybody NOT being in an auto-bid conference. But this doesn't occur until 2013-2015.

I like this scenario. I would definately prefer an all sports conference that included FB. Ultimately ending up in a Mid-Con with FB would be great.

Killtoppers90
November 6th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Now as for Western...there are a lot of things that are motivating this move. I-A football opens a lot of doors for a school, and obviously a future conference move could be one of those. It will also get them plent of extra media coverage, and maybe even a regular season game on ESPN every once and a very great while. I think they should have waited longer, but it's not hard to understand why they think this is a good move. Truth be told, I think they're better prepared than most that have attempted the jump...still they will struggle quite a bit.
yeah, we are gonna have issues initially, I don't think anyone would argue that point at all. I hate to leave the friendly confines of 1-AA but I think it might be a good move. I pray we don't come up with egg on our faces. The one big concern I have is attendance. I hope we can make 15K with more well-known squads like Vandy, Indiana and Army.

aceinthehole
November 6th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Let's not forget who built that stadium...the New England Patriots.

When Bob Kraft was in negotiations over replacing the stadium in Foxboro, he got help from the Connecticut governor to push for money in the legislature on a "down payment" of sorts for an NFL stadium. The Pats ultimately stayed in Massachusetts but the money was appropriated and the timing could not have been better for UConn to leave Memorial Field in Storrs for the plains of East Hartford.

The second was the Big East's open invite to the four I-AA schools to join without paying an entrance fee. Villanova, Georgetown, and (back then) St. John's couldn't afford it--and the league knew it, and UConn couldn't get in either without the stadium deal. With it, they went from being a "basketball school" to a "football school".

Sorry, that is incorrect.

The State of Connecticut fully paid for the costs of the stadium! The land was donated by United Technologies, but the Pats paid nothing.

Orginally, Kraft negotated with the state to build a 75,000 seat stadium in Hartford. Once the deal fell through, the Loyal Husky supportores in the legislature worked out a plan for a smaller (40k seat) state funded stadium
on donated land in East Hartford. It was built under the direction of the state Office of Policy and Management.

UConn and others were offered spots in the Big East for their football team. UConn upgraded, and yes the others chose not too. But UConn is and will remaine a BASKETBALL school.

wkuhillhound
November 6th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Being a WKU alum, it gives me great pleasure in supporting my Hilltoppers. Around 10 years ago, WKU was on the verge of eliminating the program altogether. Who would have thought that this would come about? Certainly not me.

WKU has been very progressive in moving WKU standards into the stratosphere. When WKU hired Gary Ransdell as its president and Wood Selig as the athletics director, I did not know what would come of it and now I am so glad they did because WKU has entered into a new frontier in called I-A football.

WKU will take their lumps early and probably often when entering the Sun Belt conference like with anything WKU will eventually be a major player in the Sun Belt and contend for conference titles year after year. At least that is my hope for WKU. WKU has been trying to get contract with Indiana and Navy for games in the future and it will be great.

I will deeply miss the comraderie that I have had with my Gateway pals and with anygivensaturday. I will also continue to internally support the Gateway conference when they compete for national title like Northern Iowa last season. Even though WKU may not make the playoffs for the 2nd consecutive season, at least I know that WKU will leave the conference strong, just like they left the OVC in 2000.

I just hope that I will continue to be invited into discussion concerning I-AA football and the best of luck to everyone during the last few games of the season. Long live the Toppers!!!!!!

T - O - P - S......Tops, Tops, Tops!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the wonderful memories,
wkuhillhound

Go...gate
November 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM

How 'bout Tulane and the State of New Mexico (both teams)?

Crashola
November 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM
My apologies if this has already been raised in the prior 19 pages of this thread, but does anyone know how the WKU move will affect the tally of BCS vs. NON-BCS schools? As I recall, a few years back the BCS schools held a majority of the NCAA I-A votes, but that was before the addition of the Florida schools, the ACC-Big East-Conf. USA shifts, etc.

BearsCountry
November 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
My apologies if this has already been raised in the prior 19 pages of this thread, but does anyone know how the WKU move will affect the tally of BCS vs. NON-BCS schools? As I recall, a few years back the BCS schools held a majority of the NCAA I-A votes, but that was before the addition of the Florida schools, the ACC-Big East-Conf. USA shifts, etc.

12 - ACC
12 - Big 12
12 - SEC
11 - Big Ten
10 - Pac 10
8 - Big East
65 + Notre Dame = 66

13 - MAC
12 - CUSA
9 - MWC
9 - WAC
9 - Sun Belt
2 - Army & Navy

November 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
... WKU has entered into a new frontier in called I-A football... I just hope that I will continue to be invited into discussion concerning I-AA football...As of 11/19 I-AA becomes the CS this year and I-A becomes the BS. :nod:

At that time all WKU members of AGS will be blocked from this site. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Crashola
November 6th, 2006, 06:45 PM
12 - ACC
12 - Big 12
12 - SEC
11 - Big Ten
10 - Pac 10
8 - Big East
65 + Notre Dame = 66

13 - MAC
12 - CUSA
9 - MWC
9 - WAC
9 - Sun Belt
2 - Army & Navy

Thanks. I guess I thought the tally was closer than that. The I-A have-nots won't be changing the status quo anytime soon!

dbackjon
November 6th, 2006, 06:50 PM
12 - ACC
12 - Big 12
12 - SEC
11 - Big Ten
10 - Pac 10
8 - Big East
65 + Notre Dame = 66

13 - MAC
12 - CUSA
9 - MWC
9 - WAC
9 - Sun Belt
2 - Army & Navy

You forgot Temple..... :)

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Being a WKU alum, it gives me great pleasure in supporting my Hilltoppers. Around 10 years ago, WKU was on the verge of eliminating the program altogether. Who would have thought that this would come about? Certainly not me.

WKU has been very progressive in moving WKU standards into the stratosphere. When WKU hired Gary Ransdell as its president and Wood Selig as the athletics director, I did not know what would come of it and now I am so glad they did because WKU has entered into a new frontier in called I-A football.

WKU will take their lumps early and probably often when entering the Sun Belt conference like with anything WKU will eventually be a major player in the Sun Belt and contend for conference titles year after year. At least that is my hope for WKU. WKU has been trying to get contract with Indiana and Navy for games in the future and it will be great.

I will deeply miss the comraderie that I have had with my Gateway pals and with anygivensaturday. I will also continue to internally support the Gateway conference when they compete for national title like Northern Iowa last season. Even though WKU may not make the playoffs for the 2nd consecutive season, at least I know that WKU will leave the conference strong, just like they left the OVC in 2000.

I just hope that I will continue to be invited into discussion concerning I-AA football and the best of luck to everyone during the last few games of the season. Long live the Toppers!!!!!!

T - O - P - S......Tops, Tops, Tops!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the wonderful memories,
wkuhillhound

So you would rather contend possibly for the sun belt title than a national championship? next question isnt WKU already in the sun belt for all other sports?

skinny_uncle
November 6th, 2006, 07:38 PM
12 - ACC
12 - Big 12
12 - SEC
11 - Big Ten
10 - Pac 10
8 - Big East
65 + Notre Dame = 66

13 - MAC
12 - CUSA
9 - MWC
9 - WAC
9 - Sun Belt
2 - Army & Navy

Someone beat me to the Temple ommission, but I think there only 12 teams in the MAC

Mid-American Conf All
East
Ohio 5-1 7-3
Kent State 4-2 5-4
Bowling Green 3-3 4-6
Akron 2-3 4-5
Buffalo 1-5 2-7
Miami (OH) 1-5 1-9
West
Central Michigan 5-0 6-3
Western Michigan 5-1 7-2
Northern Illinois 3-2 5-4
Ball State 3-3 3-7
Toledo 1-4 3-6
Eastern Michigan 1-5 1-8

BearsCountry
November 6th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I put Temple in the MAC since they are an "associate" member.

dakotadan
November 6th, 2006, 09:42 PM

I would take this scenario. I, along with the NCAA, would preferr that our FB team be a part of an all sports conference. If you told me that in the next 6-8 years the 4 Dakota flagship schools would be the corner stone of a DI all sports conference, I would be very happy.

Toppermaniac
November 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I haven't heard anyone argue that the SunBelt is a bed of roses... so let's not be deceived and think that WKU is gonna be happy with the SunBelt. I doubt they'll make money in the Belt on their football program. And I think the Athletics Department is completely content with that because I think WKU has their eyes on something else and it's not a national title in Football...

...But consider the C-USA model. When it was originally created, it was intended to be a basketball powerhouse and a bunch of schools were united under that pretext. WKU was unlikely for consideration for such a conference without I-A football... but with it, they very well could get invited and that is what I think this is about. The next time the big shuffle goes down, WKU wants to be a player at the table.

It's a risk, I think, and could cost lots of money over a long period of time... but it could payoff big.

You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly the plan from what I've heard. We'll just have to wait and see if it all works out.

BisonBacker
November 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM
No Thanks, I think your screen name says it all, your rabid and your losing your mind xlolx
I hope USD and UND go to the BSC. That's what they want and I don't see any benefit to being in the same conference as they are in. Past history outside of athletics has not been a beneficial relationship for NDSU and has spilled over into sports and I don't see that changing. In either case I think its best that the land grants be in a seperate division. Anyone that says otherwise especially for NDSU and und is just plain xidiotx