PDA

View Full Version : The 1994 Playoffs

PAllen
September 8th, 2014, 03:47 PM
So I was just looking up a few things about the drubbing that Lehigh took at the hands of Lafayette to end the 1994 season, and I came across the playoff bracket from that year. I now understand the angst of some who want to move up after having been successful in that era. Nearly half of the field has since gone on to FBS and one has dropped football altogether.

The participants were:
Alcorn St
Youngstown St
Boston U - dropped FB
Eastern Kentucky
Idaho - FBS
McNeese St
Northern Iowa
Montana
Middle Tennessee St - FBS
Marshall - FBS
Troy state - FBS
James Madison - Wants to be FBS
North Texas - FBS
Boise St - FBS
Appalachian St - FBS
New Hampshire

citdog
September 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM
So I was just looking up a few things about the drubbing that Lehigh took at the hands of Lafayette to end the 1994 season, and I came across the playoff bracket from that year. I now understand the angst of some who want to move up after having been successful in that era. Nearly half of the field has since gone on to FBS and one has dropped football altogether.

The participants were:
Alcorn St
Youngstown St
Boston U - dropped FB
Eastern Kentucky
Idaho - FBS
McNeese St
Northern Iowa
Montana
Marshall - FBS
Troy state - FBS
North Texas - FBS
Boise St - FBS
Appalachian St - FBS
New Hampshire

Don't miss a single one of them.

lionsrking2
September 8th, 2014, 03:53 PM

The participants were:
Alcorn St
Youngstown St
Boston U - dropped FB
Eastern Kentucky
Idaho - FBS
McNeese St
Northern Iowa
Montana
Marshall - FBS
Troy state - FBS
North Texas - FBS
Boise St - FBS
Appalachian St - FBS
New Hampshire

And yet the FCS has continued along just fine as other programs have emerged.

PAllen
September 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I agree that FCS has gotten along just fine. But, I can certainly understand why some Montana, UNI, Youngstown, and JMU fans think they can and should move up.

Grizalltheway
September 8th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I agree that FCS has gotten along just fine. But, I can certainly understand why some Montana, UNI, Youngstown, and JMU fans think they can and should move up.

No thanks. Big fish, small pond etc. Even if FBS eventually expands their playoff to 8 or 16, there's zero chance we'd ever sniff a bid in my lifetime.

Cleets
September 8th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Ah...
I remember Idaho - Those were fun times
Idaho QB Scott Linehan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Linehan) graduated then went pro to the St. Louis Rams - and - was followed by John Friesz who graduated then went pro to the San Diego Chargers
After that Idaho thought they were QB Central and went Big Time and bombed HARD

lionsrking2
September 8th, 2014, 04:15 PM

I certainly understand the temptation, but other than Boise, it hasn't worked out so well for the rest. Very doubtful NDSU sniffs hosting GameDay once, much less twice, if they were FBS.

darell1976
September 8th, 2014, 04:57 PM

The participants were:
Alcorn St
Youngstown St
Boston U - dropped FB
Eastern Kentucky
Idaho - FBS
McNeese St
Northern Iowa
Montana
Marshall - FBS
Troy state - FBS
North Texas - FBS
Boise St - FBS
Appalachian St - FBS
New Hampshire

Fun bracket, we were in the DII playoffs against some team called North Dakota State. ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Ah...
Idaho QB Scott Linehan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Linehan) graduated then went pro to the St. Louis Rams - and - was followed by John Friesz who graduated then went pro to the San Diego Chargers

Too true, but I still have nightmares about that game where Lehigh went to Pocatello when they were still I-AA QB U.

I also have a John Friesz rookie card somewhere xlolx

Cleets
September 8th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Too true, but I still have nightmares about that game where Lehigh went to Pocatello when they were still I-AA QB U.

I remember a highlight from John Freisz career
The ball was spotted on the Idaho 20 after a kickoff not returned
Idaho lines up in a run heavy set with ONE wide out
The ball is snapped Friesz drops back fakes a hand-off and standing on his own 10 yrd line throws the ball
The receiver catches the ball on the Montana 22 yard line and waltzes in for a touchdown - 68 yards in the air on a rope

f_ck that..!!!

I'd only ever seen Randall Cunningham throw the ball that far for a catch

Grizalltheway
September 8th, 2014, 05:07 PM

Sounds like they took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

CHIP72
September 8th, 2014, 08:12 PM

At least they didn't go to Leningrad.

Sycamore62
September 8th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I remember a highlight from John Freisz career
The ball was spotted on the Idaho 20 after a kickoff not returned
Idaho lines up in a run heavy set with ONE wide out
The ball is snapped Friesz drops back fakes a hand-off and standing on his own 10 yrd line throws the ball
The receiver catches the ball on the Montana 22 yard line and waltzes in for a touchdown - 68 yards in the air on a rope

f_ck that..!!!

I'd only ever seen Randall Cunningham throw the ball that far for a catch

I can't remember the QB in '96 but we were playing UNI for a guaranteed 3way tie for the gateway and Dedric Ward caught one on 3rd and at least 12 from the 3 for a 97 yd TD against the wind to close the deal against us. The only proof I ever had that he even stopped running was seeing him in a Jets jersey the next year.

dewey
September 8th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I was wondering how the playoff matchup ended up so I had to look. If anyone else is interested here is a link.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season

Dewey

eaglesdare
September 8th, 2014, 09:36 PM

PAllen
September 9th, 2014, 08:24 AM

We should have stayed in Albuquerque.

McNeese72
September 9th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Ahhhh, 1994 playoffs. McNeese season ended in the snow in Missoula as the Griz kicked a FG as time ran out. I have the game on a DVD somewhere.

Mattymc727
September 9th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Somehow UNH hosted App State that year...

mvemjsunpx
September 9th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Ahhhh, 1994 playoffs. McNeese season ended in the snow in Missoula as the Griz kicked a FG as time ran out. I have the game on a DVD somewhere.

Yep. Griz blew a 20-point lead IIRC and fans headed for the exits, but Bert Wilberger led the game-winning drive (Dickenson got hurt in the first half & didn't return until 1995).

Doc QB
September 9th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Ah...

Dont forget Doug Nuessmeirer...he smoked Lehigh in the dome the year before, '93, played some pro ball, now OC at Michigan. Big lefty I recall.