PDA

View Full Version : How would North Dakota State do in the B1G?

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I bet that this year they'd win enough games in it to go to a bowl game, especially in the weaker West Division, which due to geography they would be placed in. They'd probably win their nonconference games, beat teams like Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue, and have a shot to beat teams like Minnesota, Maryland, and Penn State.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I bet that this year they'd win enough games in it to go to a bowl game, especially in the weaker West Division, which due to geography they would be placed in. They'd probably win their nonconference games, beat teams like Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue, and have a shot to beat teams like Minnesota, Maryland, and Penn State.

NDSU has already whipped the goophers.

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I remember that game. It was in 2011 and they'd have a decent shot to do it again if they played the Gophers this year. NDSU could be at least an average B1G team right now with no problem. A lot of the B1G isn't very good.

clenz
September 7th, 2014, 08:53 PM
So did USD....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Gil Dobie
September 7th, 2014, 09:02 PM
So did USD....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk.

Beat them by 3............and then USD lost to 6 FCS schools, including NDSU 38-16 and UNI. Minnesota lost 8 more in a row, beginning of the end of Tim Brewster as HC.

Gil Dobie
September 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM
If NDSU has Iowa's schedule, a rather easy one, they could possibly get 6 wins.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM

They'd have a shot but those are two talented teams, especially Penn State. Give Franklin about two more games to settle in and the Lions will be a threat in the Big 10.

Overall, I think NDSU would fair very well in the Big 10 this year. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State are the only four teams that I don't think they would win more than a game in a 10 game series. The Bison would crush Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana and Rutgers. Even money against Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa and Maryland......

When it's all said and done, I think Wisky might be the best team....

clenz
September 7th, 2014, 09:10 PM
The thing to remember, and I have to remind myself this about UNI occasionally, is that a 1 off game against an FBS team is one thing. Gearing up for those games every single week is a completely different thing.

I'm not saying NDSU couldn't/wouldn't but it's something to remember.

Depth also becomes an issue. I know NDSU has been stacked for a couple years, but depth of playing FBS teams week after week after week would eventually show up.

The Big 10 isn't great and NDSU would likely get 4-5 wins, maybe 6, playing a full Big 10 schedule but we need to remember a couple things at times.

aces1180
September 7th, 2014, 09:10 PM

Twice! And almost did it in '06 when they lost by 1 point.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Twice! And almost did it in '06 when they lost by 1 point.

Minnesota has improved quite a bit under Kill. The Gophers would present a big challenge for NDSU imo....

Cocky
September 7th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Agree with Clenz, but I would lean more toward the 3 or 4 win total. Even with NDSUs record FBS teams they are still too arrogant to take FCS teams seriously.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 09:19 PM
If NDSU was in the AAC, Temple's conference, they'd easily be among the top teams. My Owls seem pretty solid this year (Top 50'ish crushed Vandy/ lost 31-24 to a good Navy team) yet I think they would have a helluva time beating the Bison. Outside of UCF, ECU and Cincinnati I wouldn't put money on anyone else in the league to beat them.

FargoBison
September 7th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Last year's team would have done very well, at least would be bowl eligible.

Hard to say with this year's team, haven't seen enough to get a feel for it but I know they are not as deep. The depth on last year's team was insane.

Cocky
September 7th, 2014, 09:24 PM
If NDSU was in the AAC, Temple's conference, they'd easily be among the top teams. My Owls seem pretty solid this year (Top 50'ish crushed Vandy/ lost 31-24 to a good Navy team) yet I think they would have a helluva time beating the Bison. Outside of UCF, ECU and Cincinnati I don't wouldn't put money on anyone else in the league to beat them.

Any league other than the P5, top level FCS teams would be competitive with the top teams. NDSU last year would have won most.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Any league other than the P5, top level FCS teams would be competitive with the top teams. NDSU last year would have won most.

I agree...Although I don't believe they would have beaten UCF last year....

clenz
September 7th, 2014, 09:30 PM
I agree...Although I don't believe they would have beaten UCF last year....

or Louisville.

skinny_uncle
September 7th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Minnesota has improved quite a bit under Kill. The Gophers would present a big challenge for NDSU imo....

Yep. The Gophers have been to bowl games the last couple of years. They might start getting used to it.

Bisonator
September 7th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Last year's team would have done very well, at least would be bowl eligible.

Hard to say with this year's team, haven't seen enough to get a feel for it but I know they are not as deep. The depth on last year's team was insane.
This. Way too early to say a whole lot about this years team. Saw some things last night that need to be addressed.

darell1976
September 7th, 2014, 09:56 PM
I would've love to see the Bison play Nebraska. McNeese was on the verge of going to OT on them and NDSU (IMO) is better than McNeese....an upset in Lincoln with the Bison would be possible.

FormerPokeCenter
September 7th, 2014, 10:10 PM
I think the Bison would have taken Nebraska down. We had our chances to put the game away and didn't.....for what it's worth, the folks on the Nebraska message board think NDSU would be an 8 win team in the B1G...

IBleedYellow
September 7th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I'd love to see what NDSU could do if given another 22 scholarships.

Seems that people love to forget about that little tidbit when people mention moving up and playing FBS.

clenz
September 7th, 2014, 10:31 PM
I'd love to see what NDSU could do if given another 22 scholarships.

Seems that people love to forget about that little tidbit when people mention moving up and playing FBS.

That's why I said we need to reign it in when talking about a full season.

Depth would be a HUGE issue for NDSU

skinny_uncle
September 7th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Still, there are probably several teams in the Big 10 that the Bison could beat. I wouldn't bet on them against Michigan State or Wisconsin, but think they might have a chance against anyone else in that league.

clenz
September 7th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Still, there are probably several teams in the Big 10 that the Bison could beat. I wouldn't bet on them against Michigan State or Wisconsin, but think they might have a chance against anyone else in that league.

Don't entirely disagree, but are we talking in a 1 off season opening type game...

Or in back to back to back to back weeks?

skinny_uncle
September 7th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Don't entirely disagree, but are we talking in a 1 off season opening type game...

Or in back to back to back to back weeks?

I'm thinking a one game shot any time in the opening month of the season. If we are talking an entire season, the Bison would need the extra schollies to match depth.

Twentysix
September 7th, 2014, 11:08 PM
We are talking about this exact bison team right, 63 scholarships?

Pose the same question, give NDSU 85 schollies and I think we pretty easily make a bowl game most years...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Scholarships would obviously make a difference but that could be offset by a "favorable" schedule imo.

Even with only 2 games under their belt, I'd take the Bison's coaching staff over many of the Big 10 staffs. Coaching in the Big 10 is severely lacking imo. Pelini, Edsell, Hoke, Fitzgerald and Ferentz are average. Then you have the messes in Champaign, Bloomington and Dirty Jersey....

NDSUSR
September 8th, 2014, 12:14 AM
SEC or nothing /purple

frozennorth
September 8th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I think NDSU would struggle to put together a complete team over the course of a year right now. The depth and talent is there at certain positions (RB, LB, TE/FB) but critically lacking in others (WR, DL). Depending on how the OL comes together and how injuries play out, I could see NDSU anywhere from 4-8 to 9-3. Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern are clearly inferior teams. Iowa, UMn, UM, UMd, NU I think would compare well.

That said, they would also have a conditioning advantage over just about every team in the league.

skinny_uncle
September 8th, 2014, 05:39 AM
The Mountain West would be a better fit. That way, if the Bison didn't make a bowl game, they would at least have a Bohl game.

BisonBacker
September 8th, 2014, 06:31 AM
The thing to remember, and I have to remind myself this about UNI occasionally, is that a 1 off game against an FBS team is one thing. Gearing up for those games every single week is a completely different thing.

Depth also becomes an issue. I know NDSU has been stacked for a couple years, but depth of playing FBS teams week after week after week would eventually show up.

The Big 10 isn't great and NDSU would likely get 4-5 wins, maybe 6, playing a full Big 10 schedule but we need to remember a couple things at times.

You also remember if NDSU was to be playing up they'd also have another 22 scholarships to address that issue. Apples to apples my friend.

Edit: I didn't see the entire thread when I posted this and it clearly has been addressed but I do believe with the extra schollies all the talk about depth would be put to rest.

clenz
September 8th, 2014, 07:08 AM
You also remember if NDSU was to be playing up they'd also have another 22 scholarships to address that issue. Apples to apples my friend.

Edit: I didn't see the entire thread when I posted this and it clearly has been addressed but I do believe with the extra schollies all the talk about depth would be put to rest.
The OP, and entire basis of this thread is this years (or the past 3 years) NDSU teams.

Sure, given UNI or SIU 22 more scholarships and I'd bet they get to 6 wins too.

I could probably name 8-10 more FCS teams I think with 22 more scholarships would be a 6-7 win team this year in the FBS

Lehigh'98
September 8th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Not convinced this years team is anywhere as good as 2013. That team would have done very well in any conf except SEC or PAC12. This years, let's see if they win MVFC first.

Gil Dobie
September 8th, 2014, 09:05 AM

One other point, when addressing depth, NDSU has one of the best strength and conditioning programs. Most teams, including FBS with their depth, are huffing and puffing at the end of games against the Bison. Injury would be where depth would come in.

RabidRabbit
September 8th, 2014, 11:16 AM
The conditioning has been obvious differences in the Bison's last two FBS games. That 8 min, 16? play drive vs K-State was amazing. Bison O were blowing the K-State D to pieces. Barring a TO there, it was clear who the dominant team was in the 4th qtr.

Likewise in the Iowa St game. Bison were bullying Cyclowns on both sides, and it got worse for Clowns as game progressed.

But pull stunts like the Weber St. performance, and B1G teams should get the W.

The assessment of anywhere from 4-8 to 9-3, with just the FCS schollie team vs a 85 Schollie team is good.

With my blue/yellow lens xcoolx firmly entrenched, here's hoping for a 12-3 record for the Bison this season.

Go Bison
September 8th, 2014, 11:50 AM

Good points and are well taken. Other things to consider are if NDSU or UNI was in the Big Ten they would have 22 more scholarships and get to play half games at home instead of all on the road. Either way, it is fun to talk about.

ysubigred
September 8th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Good points and are well taken. Other things to consider are if NDSU or UNI was in the Big Ten they would have 22 more scholarships and get to play half games at home instead of all on the road. Either way, it is fun to talk about.

Give YSU 22 more scholarships with this current head caoch and we'd give NDSU and UNI a run for their money....... Oh wait we're talking FBS xbangx

AmsterBison
September 8th, 2014, 12:56 PM
The only B1G fans I'm worried about not being able to out-drink are Wisconsin's. So we'd have that going for us.