9. Delaware
10. Towson
11. Elon
12. URI

Anovafan
September 8th, 2014, 09:02 AM
My thoughts:

1. Villanova
2. Richmond - I think Richmond is the only team that will challenge Nova this year, given that Nova doesn't play UNH.
3. UNH
4. JMU
5. Maine
6. William & Mary
7. Stony Brook
8. Delaware
9. Towson
10. Albany
11. Elon
12. URI

Mattymc727
September 8th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Is Virginia any good? They played UCLA pretty closely. I watched some of the Richmond/Virginia game and richmond didnt look all that good. Wasnt sure if that was more of Virginia's doing though.

I agree, Nova #1 at this point, and the rest will have to play out.

Anovafan
September 8th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Is Virginia any good? They played UCLA pretty closely. I watched some of the Richmond/Virginia game and richmond didnt look all that good. Wasnt sure if that was more of Virginia's doing though.

I agree, Nova #1 at this point, and the rest will have to play out.

I think UR is a team on the rise having won their last 4 last season and opened with an impressive win. The QB is good, but I didn't see the UVA game against his old school; maybe he got too hyped up. I think UVA is much improved from last year. UR's schedule is pretty easy this next stretch, except for the UNH game. If they beat UNH, I see playoffs as practically a lock.

Tribal
September 8th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Coaches Poll now has Towson at #19 and dropped W&M to #24. Joke.

#RisingTribe

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I think Richmond is the only team that will challenge Nova this year, given that Nova doesn't play UNH.

Looks like a four team race to me; Villanova, Richmond, New Hampshire, and William & Mary (in that order) with the Tribe a step back from the top three but still within striking distance. I don't trust New Hampshire's defense to stop any of the teams competiting for the top of the conference though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Villanova/Richmond game turns out to be a de facto CAA Championship game.

- - - Updated - - -

Coaches Poll now has Towson at #19 and dropped W&M to #24. Joke.

#RisingTribe

Towson wouldn't stay within 2 touchdowns of the Tribe right now.

Mattymc727
September 8th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I agree on UNH so far, they were pretty disappointing against Toledo. UNH will need to prove itself in order to match Nova. The next two weeks will help. That game at Richmond will be a doozy.

Mattymc727
September 8th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Also, Towson looks awful, how the mighty have fallen (back to 2010 form).

TheDHC
September 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Really glad we're not playing W&M this year. Here's my top 5

1. Villanova
2. Richmond
3. William & Mary
4. UNH
5. JMU

I knew something was screwy when JMU was preseason #8. Although, Maine last year was the preseason #8 and they took #1 in the conference.

JMU confirmed for CAA champions.

Anovafan
September 8th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Also, Towson looks awful, how the mighty have fallen (back to 2010 form).

It is really hard to stay at the top in this league. 2, maybe 3 years at the top and then back to the middle/bottom and build it back up. One or two strong classes keep everyone else on the bench and when those reserves finally get the start, they often aren't ready or aren't good enough. That being said, the way UNH has been able to reload and make the playoffs consistently has been truly amazing. UNH got lucky a few years with that northern division being weaker than the southern division, but recently UNH has been able to reload fairly easily. Sean McDonnell has done a really good job up there.

Tribal
September 8th, 2014, 03:58 PM
My thoughts:

1. Villanova
2. Richmond - I think Richmond is the only team that will challenge Nova this year, given that Nova doesn't play UNH.
3. UNH
4. JMU
5. Maine
6. William & Mary
7. Stony Brook
8. Delaware
9. Towson
10. Albany
11. Elon
12. URI

Maine and W&M will have a common opponent after this week when the Tribe plays NSU, who lost to Maine 10-6 in week one with a freshman QB; we'll be his 3rd start.

Mine

1. Villanova by a mile
2. Richmond
3. W&M
4. UNH
* I'd group 2, 3, and 4
5. Maine
6. JMU
7. Delaware
8. Stony Brook
9. Albany
*I'd group 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9
10. Elon
11. Towson
12. URI
* and group the last three.

By group, I mean that I think they could play each other 10 times and break about even.

Anovafan
September 9th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I like the groupings Tribal. The jury is still out on W&M for me with the new Qb and lines. I don't think their o-line and d-line are very strong this year and will struggle against the better, more physical, teams.

ccd494
September 9th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Norfolk's defense is legit. That line is very, very solid.

Offensively, yeesh.

Very similar team to Maine in that regard, I guess.

ZableNoise
September 9th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I like the groupings Tribal. The jury is still out on W&M for me with the new Qb and lines. I don't think their o-line and d-line are very strong this year and will struggle against the better, more physical, teams.
Agree on the o-line but W&M may have the best d-line in the conference. Reilly was the preseason DPOY and Sinnott and Coleman could finish with all-conference honors as well.

TypicalTribe
September 9th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Biggest issue for the Tribe is they once again play the hardest schedule of any contender, playing Villanova, Richmond, UNH as well as JMU while missing URI, Albany and a Maine team nowhere near as good as last year.

Sitting Bull
September 9th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Both lines and the QB held their own pretty well at Virginia Tech, at least through three quarters. I don't think we will see anything remotely close to them for the balance of the year.

TypicalTribe
September 9th, 2014, 02:57 PM
The Virginia Tech effot looks better in hindsight after the performance against Ohio State on Saturday.

DoubleH
September 9th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Man I love how everyone is dogging Towson now. Yes we've looked anywhere from mediocre to awful at times these first 2 games, but there is no chance - repeat, NO CHANCE - this team finishes in the bottom 3 of the CAA. I believe we will be in the mix right up until the end. This is a very young team that lost a TON of talent from last year, but do not underestimate Rob Ambrose's ability to get these kids playing better quickly.

Anovafan
September 9th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Man I love how everyone is dogging Towson now. Yes we've looked anywhere from mediocre to awful at times these first 2 games, but there is no chance - repeat, NO CHANCE - this team finishes in the bottom 3 of the CAA. I believe we will be in the mix right up until the end. This is a very young team that lost a TON of talent from last year, but do not underestimate Rob Ambrose's ability to get these kids playing better quickly.

Maybe another "Villanova Sunday"? :p

Anovafan
September 9th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Agree on the o-line but W&M may have the best d-line in the conference. Reilly was the preseason DPOY and Sinnott and Coleman could finish with all-conference honors as well.

I haven't seen them play in person, so honestly I am only basing it on box scores and what I have heard from a buddy who saw both games in person.

TypicalTribe
September 9th, 2014, 04:07 PM
The Tigers have a chance to surprise simply given that the league is not has deep as in most seasons, but you can't lose all that experience on the OL and arguably the best player in FCS and expect to quickly retool. Those were the hallmarks of the recent run.

The best thing going for Towson is the soft part of the schedule over the next 4 games. Del St on the road and then home games against NC Central, Maine and Stony Brook are all winnable and will give the team some time to grow. Get through those unscathed at 4-2 overall and they can head to JMU and Delaware in mid-October with some confidence. Towson misses Richmond and New Hampshire which is a huge advantage.

Tribal
September 9th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I don't think anyone is being unfair regarding TU's current standing. You lost to CCSU as they hung 27 points on you then CCSU got drummed by Albany the following week 19-0. WVU is what it is.

You have the easiest schedule I can remember with CCSU, Albany, Del St, NCCU, Elon, and URI. TU may win a couple against Maine, SBU, JMU, UD, Nova, and W&M but there is no chance - repeat NO CHANCE, you'll be a top 3 team in the CAA this year. W&M may do no better...who really knows?

#RisingTribe

DoubleH
September 9th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I don't think anyone is being unfair regarding TU's current standing. You lost to CCSU as they hung 27 points on you then CCSU got drummed by Albany the following week 19-0. WVU is what it is.

You have the easiest schedule I can remember with CCSU, Albany, Del St, NCCU, Elon, and URI. TU may win a couple against Maine, SBU, JMU, UD, Nova, and W&M but there is no chance - repeat NO CHANCE, you'll be a top 3 team in the CAA this year. W&M may do no better...who really knows?

#RisingTribe

To be fair, CCSU needed a roughing the punter call and a 4th-and-forever conversion at the end of the game to win. Still not excusable, but where would the general public view Towson at 1-1 with a blowout loss to WVU, rather than 0-2 with a horrible loss to CCSU? Power rankings are supposed to be indicative of how good the team actually is, record notwithstanding. Anyone who thinks Towson is a bottom-three CAA team is just not paying attention.

Will the Tigers be a top-3 CAA team? I don't know. But I do know they have a hell of a better shot at finishing in the top 3 than they do the bottom 3.

Tribal
September 9th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Fair enough. My power rankings, as they are with ESPN for NFL teams, is fluid from week to week. Had CCSU beaten Albany 19-0, I'd view your loss to them differently.

#RisingTribe