PDA

View Full Version : Why The UD/DSU Game Should Continue

superman7515
September 7th, 2014, 04:44 PM
http://www.newarkpostonline.com/sports/college/article_27414a08-04d0-5bdc-b809-1b668de34fdc.html

Despite Mother Nature’s attempt to prolong what was once called the Route 1 Rivalry, the matchup between Delaware's only Football Championship Series (FCS) teams that is now termed Delaware Day is over.

At least for now.

On a picture-perfect makeup day, the University of Delaware was awarded its fifth consecutive First State Cup on Sunday afternoon after easily defeating Delaware State University 27-9 in front of an estimated crowd of 5,000. (12,511 tickets were distributed for the game).

Delaware scored on the first possession of the game when Wes Hills scampered into the end zone from the 1 yard line. It was an 11-play drive that covered 60 yards in 3:53. It looked effortless.

The Hens opening drive of the second half was even easier. This time Jalen Randolph used some nifty moves to run 46 yards between would-be tacklers to give Delaware a 27-3 lead.

The Hens needed just three plays and a minute to deliver what would be the knockout punch. And not just of the game.

For now at least, the instate rivalry or whatever you want to call it is down and out.

That being said, UD athletic director Eric Ziady has said publicly he wants to schedule another Division 1 opponent in 2018, the lone year in the next several that UD isn’t facing an ACC opponent. UD also has schedule openings in 2016 and 2017. Reports are officials from both schools will meet in the near future to discuss the possibility of continuing the series.

But should the Hens even think about putting the Hornets back on the schedule for what is now considered anything but a healthy, competitive rivalry?

The majority of the avid UD football fans scream, Nooooo!

After five lopsided wins by at least more than three touchdowns — the score was 27-17 in 2009 — many UD fans are clamoring for a more worthy opponent. Or as one fan sent me in a text message: “If we are going to see ugly, let’s at least see a variety of ugly.”

But in the words of former Eagles running back Ricky Watters: For who? For what?...

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2014, 06:42 PM
It shouldn't continue. It is too lopsided.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 7th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Every team that can afford it brings in some patsies early in the season that they can pay off instead of a return game. The DSU situation is a little bit different because DSU actually gets the 'home' cut every other game, but I believe UD still keeps the parking, concessions, and some of the gate.

We'll need to fill the slot with someone, and while there are other teams (like Lehigh) that I'd like to see come to the Tub every year, most won't agree to a constant stream of away appearances without a return visit.

DSU will do it, so why not? If there's a better option I'm open to hearing about it.

CHIP72
September 7th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Delaware didn't seem to have any problems with scheduling Division II West Chester for many, many years...

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 06:50 AM
The DSU situation is a little bit different because DSU actually gets the 'home' cut every other game, but I believe UD still keeps the parking, concessions, and some of the gate.

DelState received the home portion of the gate receipts in one game of the six, and as such, was not paid a guarantee for that game.

Delaware didn't seem to have any problems with scheduling Division II West Chester for many, many years...

UD paid West Chester $40,000 for that game; DelState makes significantly more than that.

MR. CHICKEN
September 8th, 2014, 07:35 AM

19627.....WHEN DUH BIG FLUFFIES....STOP SKEDDIN'...FORT LEWIS/C. OREGON......DUH SOGONE....MARS HILL......MAYBEAH WE'LL STOP CHERRY PICKIN'...LOW HANGIN' W'S.....IN NORFFEAST.......BRAWK!

bluehenbillk
September 8th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I'm OK with playing DelState more. I'm not OK with playing them every year.

OhioHen
September 8th, 2014, 08:46 AM
12,511 tickets distributed for the game. That says it all - there is nearly zero interest in this game.

Maybe calling it "Delaware Day" confused people about the timing of the game. After all, Delaware Day is December 7.

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 08:53 AM
12,511 tickets distributed for the game. That says it all - there is nearly zero interest in this game.

Then again, last year's game was the 2nd highest attended at Delaware Stadium. Perhaps the weather?

MR. CHICKEN
September 8th, 2014, 09:19 AM

Maybe calling it "Delaware Day" confused people about the timing of the game. After all, Delaware Day is December 7.

19633....COOD BE DUH USUAL....ALL SEASON......AS YOU-DEE HAS SLIPPED INTA...MEDIOCRITY...PLAYIN' UH CAST O' FRESHMEN AN' SUCH.......BROCK!

melloware13
September 8th, 2014, 10:54 AM
I'd rather face West Chester more regularly. The game was more entertaining, and their band knows how to play brass without hooking it up to their rectum.

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I'd rather face West Chester more regularly. The game was more entertaining, and their band knows how to play brass without hooking it up to their rectum.

Hahaha. Now that one D2 a year can count for playoff determination, I wonder how that would work out. There have been several years where the Golden Rams could have won the Pioneer but it wasn't taken into consideration. Teams out west were punished for many years for the lack of D1 teams in the area.