PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Southern Conference Power Rankings - Week 3.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 7th, 2014, 07:20 AM
I went 4-1 this past week as Chattanooga let me down. I would have to give props to The Citadel for their performance against Florida State.

1) Furman - Won the inaugural edition of the Lamb Bowl.
2) Wofford - Can thank Jacksonville State for their moveup.
3) Chattanooga - Mocs are sputtering in their first two games
4) The Citadel - Had nothing to be ashamed of today.
5) Western Carolina - Good win against Brevard.
6) Mercer - Was impressive in their first-ever SoCon game.
7) Samford - Missing in action today
8) VMI - Got hammered by Bowling Green.
ETSU - laid the wood to South Carolina St and Alabama A&M in women's soccer

Predictions
Stillman @ Samford (Beatdown of the week) - Bulldogs come out of the bye week swinging
Davidson @ VMI - Strength of schedule favors the Keydets
Catawba @ Western Carolina - Catamounts move to 2-0 vs the SAC
Chattanooga @ Austin Peay - Mocs finally get their first win
Mercer @ Stetson - Bears maul the Hatters
Furman @ Presbyterian (Game of the week) - Paladins spear the Blue Hose
North Greenville @ Wofford (Beatdown of the week) - Terriers take care of business here.

ElCid
September 7th, 2014, 08:03 AM
It is seriously hard to know how to rank it after this past week. The SOCON appears to be anyone's for the taking.

1) Furman - Still here only because they won. Not that they looked that good.
2) Wofford - They move up because they did not play...sad.
3) Western Carolina - Not that it was ever in doubt, but they should not have let Brevard score nearly as much as they did. Defense gave up almost 300 yards on the ground! Still, a win is a win.
4) Chattanooga - 111 yards of total offense??? No offensive TDs??? Really???
5) The Citadel - Moves up a little for a descent outing against the #1 FBS team. I liked the 250 yards rushing by the Dogs, and the 2 Passing TDs. I liked holding the FSU 1st string to 2 field goals in the 3rd. I liked the 11/17 3rd down conversion rate which kept the ball away from Winston....33.5 TOP. I liked the 0 penalties and 0 turnovers by the Dogs...at least they did not beat themselves. Yeah it was a loss, but they never gave up and moved the ball well against a pretty good defense. It all bodes very well for the rest of the season. First SOCON game on 4 Oct at Wofford will be key.
6) Samford - Still licking their wounds from last week.
7) Mercer - Who would have thunk it. Gave Furman fits. I'm still not sure if it reflects well on Mercer or badly on Furman.
8) VMI - Struggled against a pretty good Bowling Green team. Looked ok at times but could not string it together.

This week's menu features cupcakes:

Stillman @ Samford - Samford gets it act together - 48-3
Davidson @ VMI - I am not sure there is a worse Div I team than Davidson - 41-7
Catawba @ W Carolina - Another cake walk - 44-14
UTC @ Austin Peay - UTC tries to settle down - 34-13
Mercer @ Stetson - Not a blowout away from the friendly confines of Macon - 42-27
Furman @ Presbyterian - Furman shakes off its malaise - 38-17
N Greenville @ Wofford - Wofford rolls 48-6
The Citadel @ Bye and plots revenge on Chuck South

LarryBoy
September 7th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I went 4-1 this past week as Chattanooga let me down. I would have to give props to The Citadel for their performance against Florida State.

4) The Citadel - Had nothing to be ashamed of today.
5) Western Carolina - Good win against Brevard.
6) Mercer - Was impressive in their first-ever SoCon game.
7) Samford - Missing in action today
8) VMI - Got hammered by Bowling Green.
ETSU - laid the wood to South Carolina St and Alabama A&M in women's soccer

Predictions
Stillman @ Samford (Beatdown of the week) - Bulldogs come out of the bye week swinging
Davidson @ VMI - Strength of schedule favors the Keydets
Catawba @ Western Carolina - Catamounts move to 2-0 vs the SAC
Chattanooga @ Austin Peay - Mocs finally get their first win
Mercer @ Stetson - Bears maul the Hatters
Furman @ Presbyterian (Game of the week) - Paladins spear the Blue Hose
North Greenville @ Wofford (Beatdown of the week) - Terriers take care of business here.

I think this list works, though there's no reason other than record to have Furman at the top. Furman's O-Line has been abysmal so far, and while the defense and special teams are good enough to win some games, Furman will need to improve to even have a chance of beating the likes of Chattanooga, Wofford, Samford, The Citadel, and even Western. Of course, at this point last season, just about everything about Furman football was abysmal, so... improvement?

Mercer played with fire and John Russ is the real deal. A team that has a more balanced, experienced, and effective offense will likely be able to exploit Mercer's D, but that's just speculation at this point. Last night– even if just last night– Mercer proved they belong in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I think this list works, though there's no reason other than record to have Furman at the top. Furman's O-Line has been abysmal so far, and while the defense and special teams are good enough to win some games, Furman will need to improve to even have a chance of beating the likes of Chattanooga, Wofford, Samford, The Citadel, and even Western. Of course, at this point last season, just about everything about Furman football was abysmal, so... improvement?

Mercer played with fire and John Russ is the real deal. A team that has a more balanced, experienced, and effective offense will likely be able to exploit Mercer's D, but that's just speculation at this point. Last night– even if just last night– Mercer proved they belong in the SoCon.

Agree. Mercer came out and played with fire in their bellies. Definitely surprised me. This was an extremely big game for them. Furman didn't have a great game, and still managed a win.

Furman's biggest problem is converting touchdowns. We've got a good kicker (maybe a really really good kicker) and Fowler trusts him more than he does the offense putting points on the board. Furman kicked two field goals inside Mercer's 10. You convert those to touchdowns, and the win is far more comfortable for Furman.

OL FU
September 7th, 2014, 09:23 AM
No rankings - I ranked the pre-season but there have been way too many non-comparable games so I pass:D

Predictions
Stillman @ Samford
Catawba @ Western Carolina -
Chattanooga @ Austin Peay - I may have been the only SoConer to pick JSU last week. Not cuz I thought Chat was bad but because I think JSU is good. Chatt is still good. They will be back.
Furman @ Presbyterian- If we learn how to score a touchdown we will be dangerousxeyebrowx Contrary to YT's comments in an earlier thread. The defense is strong and it looks like we are going to have to rely on it to win. Last year after the PC game I don't think I have ever in my FU days felt as bad about a win. The game being at PC bothers me. But we pull it out. But once again a low scoring affair that will be a win but won't look great.
North Greenville @ Wofford
Mercer @ Stetson
Davidson @ VMI

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 7th, 2014, 09:38 AM
1. Wofford
2. Furman
3. The Citadel
4. Chatty
5. Mercer
6. Western
7. Samford
8. VMI

CID1990
September 7th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I don't have any predictions yet except for a couple observations-

There is no clear #1 in the SoCon.
There is no clear basement in the SoCon but VMI is in the running.

If you allow 300 yard rushing to Brevard you had better buck up or Wofford and El Cid are going to have a field day.

I am still not confident that Mercer is going to be far removed from VMI in the hunt for the bottom this year. It was their first SoCon game, against their coach's old school where he made his name.... it was emotional for them, and we probably saw their best lights out effort in that game. Also, Furman sucked early last year and came around. At best, I think Mercer is just slightly better than we thought, and Furman is slightly weaker in the same vein.

Whatever bugaboos we had last week against CCU were gone against FSU. The adjustments we made at halftime bought us a 12-9 second half in our favor, And FSU didn't sub in all of their scrubs until very late. If we play with that kind of attitude going forward we will be in the top 3 in the SoCon.

SU DOG
September 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM
The only thing I know is that I don't know at this point. Just to enter the conversation, however, I will render my thoughts based on yesterday's observations.

1. UTC - I know the offense sputtered, but that wasn't exactly chopped liver they were up against.
2. Wofford - The Terriers may even be THE team in the SoCon this year.
3. Samford - Caution against putting teams like Mercer ahead of Samford, as there is definitely a gap in the talent level right now. Maybe I' m a homer for the #3 spot, but I see the potential for this team to gel.
4. The Citadel - If they continue to improve watch out. Good showing last night while playing lots of Fr.
5. Furman - Did the slow start thing last year, but Hannon isn't there to spark the turnaround this time. Admittedly, I may be putting too much into that showing last night, but what can you go on otherwise right now?
6. WCU - I hope I have them too low, as I want the Cats to be a force in the conference. I wasn't impressed with their defense against Brevard, however, as I saw several long drives by the Tornados. Still, good game last week, and the Cats are no longer really threatened by lesser level teams.
7. Mercer - Congrats on surprising everyone last night. Mercer strength or Furman ineptness?
8. VMI - Seems to me that a lack of team speed will be the problem in the SoCon. There may be potential for a surprise here though.

ThompsonThe
September 7th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Would have been shocked if Mercer had not given Furman a hard fought game last night.
Bobby Lamb is a much better coach than a lot of people give him credit for. We kid about
the two point conversion we intercepted and returned to win a game from Furman, but it was
the right call to go for two. Execution was just not perfect by the players. If Scott Satterfield
all of a sudden gave up coaching, got called to religion or something, would be proud to have
Bobby Lamb as our head coach. We would do well.

youwouldno
September 7th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I think Wofford has to be #1 for now, by default. I don't see anyone else even having an argument. UTC has looked beyond awful on offense. Furman has played very poorly. Samford didn't end last year well and has a lot of question marks.

The only other notion I'm comfortable with rankings-wise is that Mercer & VMI are #7 and #8, in some order.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I don't get the Wofford love.

I mean, I always respect Ayers and Wofford as a football team. This is still a team that finished with a losing record last year, lost their final four games of 2013 (last three by double digits), and lost to Georgia Tech after surrendering 500+ yards. So, they are de facto #1 because they didn't drop their fifth straight loss as badly as expected?

youwouldno
September 7th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Ayers has a track record. Combined with the fact that Wofford hasn't proven themselves inept, and voila, #1.

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I'm following the same trend as some here and I'm not giving rankings, because A) the Socon seems to be wide open and B) no one outside of maybe Western and Wofford has impressed(full disclosure, that may be my homerism talking).

Furman and Chattanooga's offenses are going to hold them back. In the case of Furman, a failure to score 20 points on teams that they probably should have is a point of concern. Chattanooga's performance was inexcusable.

kdinva
September 7th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Chattanooga's performance was inexcusable.

.....as was VMI's........sorry, we could play BG ten more times, and yesterday's margin would be by far the largest......

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2014, 11:49 AM

I mean, I always respect Ayers and Wofford as a football team. This is still a team that finished with a losing record last year, lost their final four games of 2013 (last three by double digits), and lost to Georgia Tech after surrendering 500+ yards. So, they are de facto #1 because they didn't drop their fifth straight loss as badly as expected?

Well for one, offense was the question mark going into this year, and put as many touchdowns as Furman's offense did in their 2 FCS games, while our opponent was FBS. Not to mention we were playing a team that ran the option and probably had a natural inclination to play against it better.

We also out-rushed Georgia Tech, giving Paul Johnson his first win against a team that out-rushed him. Most of their yards, particularly pass yards came on the big play, and I don't think any team in the socon is going to be as fast and athletic as Georgia Tech was, executing an offense like that on a high level.

On top of that, there's the whole 4 year rule for Wofford, and last year was compatible with that, and we've been known to go on a revenge tour the next year.

With that said, I wouldn't put as number one for the same reason I wouldn't give us any top 25 votes--we haven't won anything yet.

Really, the only "barometer game" we play in the next month before conference play opens up is Gardner Webb.

OL FU
September 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I'm following the same trend as some here and I'm not giving rankings, because A) the Socon seems to be wide open and B) no one outside of maybe Western and Wofford has impressed(full disclosure, that may be my homerism talking).

Furman and Chattanooga's offenses are going to hold them back. In the case of Furman, a failure to score 20 points on teams that they probably should have is a point of concern. Chattanooga's performance was inexcusable.

It is something to be concerned about. Furman has to figure out how to score touchdowns. Otherwise there are going to be nail biters like the Mercer game that may not needed to be a nail biter. We score TDs instead of kick field goals and the spread in the first half is pretty large. But we haven't learned how to do that yet, so.......................

I think you could put whoever you want where with the exception of Mercer (they have to be under Furman) and VMI who lost to Bucknell. But other than that it is wide open. The wide variety of very few opponents played make the comparisons difficult. The discussion a lot of people are making versus BCS teams doesn't mean a whole lot. GSU beat Florida last year but faired poorly in the SoCon. It is really difficult to judge a game against a good or decent BCS team unless you beat them or play them extraordinarily close.

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2014, 12:04 PM
The SoCon is a cluster**** right now. I don't see how anyone could rank these team with a lot of accuracy right now. But I'll attempt:

1) Furman: they are 2-0 with two FCS wins, albeit not overly impressive ones
2) Chattanooga: not as good as I thought so far...offense inept at times, but schedule's been tough too
3) Wofford: played GT well in only game...offense clicked, but still hasn't proven anything
4) Samford: yes, the TCU game was ugly, but they did play a Big 5 FCS team; potential is still there
5) The Citadel: two tough opponents; gave FSU better than expected game, still unproven though
6) Western Carolina: sorry, but that defense vs. Brevard has to knock them down a bit for now
7) Mercer: they will challenge teams and can't be overlooked, but still a very young team
8) VMI: haven't shown they deserve to be higher

predictions should be pretty straightforward in Week 3: all conference teams should win...everyone is playing either sub-D1, non-scholarship, or weak FCS competition. I wouldn't be shocked if PC gave Furman a close game, but FU should prevail

ElCid
September 7th, 2014, 12:42 PM
.....as was VMI's........sorry, we could play BG ten more times, and yesterday's margin would be by far the largest......

I watched a bit of the game and I thought you should had made it closer. VMI looked good here and there, and I said above, you just could not string it together when you needed to. I will be concerned, as always, come Nov. And I plan on being at the game.

dungeonjoe
September 7th, 2014, 02:15 PM

It is an acquired taste. You have to be willing to look beyond your purple-tinted 2013 eyeglasses :)

OL FU
September 7th, 2014, 02:22 PM
It is an acquired taste. You have to be willing to look beyond your purple-tinted 2013 eyeglasses :)

Selling my soul to acquire something is against my religionxthumbsupx

The Cats
September 7th, 2014, 04:58 PM

There is no way I could list Furman as number one in a SoCon power poll after just beating Mercer by 5 points. Wofford, Samford or Chatty would get that vote before FU.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2014, 06:03 PM

Check the standings. Furman has beaten two FCS teams. I'm not sure anyone else has that resume at this point.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Chattanooga defense is as good as advertised. They did give up quite a few yards in the first half and gave up two TDs to JSU...but they also scored two TD's on on Pick 6's...so in my mind, that canceled out. In the first half, the defense was on the field for 20 of the 30 minutes, that's brutal on a 63 scholarship team. In the 2nd half, I think JSU barely got 100 yards offense and managed only 2 FGs.

As for the offense, I am not a Baby Hues apologist...but no QB is going to look good if the Line (and the OC calling plays) don't do their job. OLine has struggled, part of it is just being out-muscled (losing All-SoCon Lineman Synjen Herren for the season really hurt on an OLine that already didn't have much experience of depth)...but the biggest problem is that the OC appears completely clueless.

Coach Huesman put the blame squarely on himself and the coaching staff...and it wasn't coach speak, he's right.

The good news is, outside of Tennessee, the toughest games of the season are behind the Mocs. Almost everyone on here (me included) figured the team might start 0-2...so while I am disappointed that this team is obviously not ready for the top of the FCS, it is still a good team...I think they will be very good if they can iron out their offensive problems. Hopefully they can go up and stomp Austin Peay quickly and get some confidence back.

And one positive note...after having to rally to beat Chattanooga at home, Central Michigan laid the wood to Purdue 38-17. CMU scored more at Purdue in the first 20 minutes than they scored against the UTC defense the whole game.

What is most disappointing is that almost 15,000 showed up and the Mocs could get the win...so now the home game will invariably drop down to about 8-10,000 a game (except for homecoming). Chattanooga is definitely a "what have you done for me lately" kind of town and the Mocs keep losing close one's on the big stage at home.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM
The good news is, outside of Tennessee, the toughest games of the season are behind the Mocs..

They are?

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Check the standings. Furman has beaten two FCS teams. I'm not sure anyone else has that resume at this point.

But that doesn't mean the victories were that impressive?

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2014, 08:00 PM
They are?
Yeah, with that attitude, someone may find themselves in a bind

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Yes, unless one of your teams ends up in the top 10...those were the hardest games.

Not going all chattown on your guys...but just stating the facts as they present themselves the end of week two (*all opinions subject to change).

And the last time I checked...I don't play any of the games, so no...I will not be putting anyone in a bind.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Of course, the Citadel may have the toughest team to beat, especially if they just injure the other team until they run out of players.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11484395/victor-hill-says-citadel-bulldogs-were-going-florida-state-seminoles-knees

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Yes, unless one of your teams ends up in the top 10...those were the hardest games.

Not going all chattown on your guys...but just stating the facts as they present themselves the end of week two (*all opinions subject to change).

And the last time I checked...I don't play any of the games, so no...I will not be putting anyone in a bind.

REALLY going to enjoy the rest of this season! Chatttown#2

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Of course, the Citadel may have the toughest team to beat, especially if they just injure the other team until they run out of players.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11484395/victor-hill-says-citadel-bulldogs-were-going-florida-state-seminoles-knees

Cadets were called for ZERO penalties against the seminoles. Cut blocking is WELL within the rules of the game.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM
REALLY going to enjoy the rest of this season! Chatttown#2

The Mocs could go 0-12 and the fact will remain the same that Tennessee, Central Michigan, and Jacksonville State will still be the toughest 3 game on the Mocs schedule this year.

Sorry...the SoCon looks weak this year...Chattanooga included.

But I tell you what...if the Citadel finished ranked higher than JSU in the Massey Ratings this year, I will bow to the might of the Citadel cut blockers.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Cadets were called for ZERO penalties against the seminoles. Cut blocking is WELL within the rules of the game.

I'm sorry...exactly where did I claim the Citadel did something illegal.

Anxiously awaiting your response.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:22 PM
The Mocs could go 0-12.

Don't be so hard on yourself #2. I think you'll win this week and against vmi and possibly mercer.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:24 PM

If what we do wasn't within the rules of the game penalties would have been called.

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2014, 08:24 PM

Crickets

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Crickets

Sorry my response wasn't as quick as you would have liked. I had to take a quick wofford.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I picked 8-4 at the start of the season...I still feel comfortable with that.

Ain't none of them going to be easy.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2014, 08:30 PM
But that doesn't mean the victories were that impressive?

Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Samford
Western Carolina
Wofford
South Carolina State
Gardner Webb
Mercer

Those are the names of the schools Furman has beaten since the last time Wofford won a football game (October 19, 2013). The only two teams to beat Furman in that stretch are LSU and NDSU.

Best of luck against North Greenville.

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Sorry my response wasn't as quick as you would have liked. I had to take a quick wofford.

If you are thinking of going into comedy you better not quit your day job. And this is the internet, a message board, where everyone is a tough guy. I wonder if you'd say crap like that directly to my face?

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 08:31 PM

No it's crickets because you didn't show me where I accused the Citadel of doing something illegal.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:35 PM
If you are thinking of going into comedy you better not quit your day job. And this is the internet, a message board, where everyone is a tough guy. I wonder if you'd say crap like that directly to my face?

Cops?

Lunch?

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:38 PM
No it's crickets because you didn't show me where I accused the Citadel of doing something illegal.

You posted a link to an article where a 20 year old kid was talking out of his ass and insinuated that we were a dirty team. I pointed out that no penalties were called on The Citadel the ENTIRE football game. If you can't draw the correct correlation you may have a couple of synapses that are not firing. I'd seek out a cat scan if I was you.

FCSfan
cannot rank yet but nary a team deserves a #1 after 2 weeks:

furman doesn't have much offense but a quality defense. everything fell just right last year so can't take anything from 2013 (OL FU keep your soul intact)
western carolina will be the team to reckon with each week because of their unproven yet hungry nature (gotta love the redneck coach)
chatty will only go as far as their o-line takes them, defense can only win games if the offense isn't blowing them
samford struggling but can find ways to win (biggest socon unknown thus far)
wofford will not be last year's team but is 0-1 and nothing to brag about yet (ayers is proven to have them ready)
citadel has a fcs loss and no matter how they spin it did zero against fla state's 1's and 2's (citdog i like your southern patronage but don't be so dang defensive)
vmi will continue to improve but will struggle this season
mercer is still mediocre and got furman's mediocre performance (welcome to the show beardownmu)
etsu might be #1 this week because they have no REAL issues right now

Reign of Terrier
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Samford
Western Carolina
Wofford
South Carolina State
Gardner Webb
Mercer

Those are the names of the schools Furman has beaten since the last time Wofford won a football game (October 19, 2013). The only two teams to beat Furman in that stretch are LSU and NDSU.

How is that relevant to how well Furman has performed so far in the current, relevant season of 2014? Go on, take your time, I'll wait on an answer.

As a follow up, how far up does your head have to be up your ass to derail a legitimate sentiment to chest-beat about how your team made the playoffs and mine ended on a sour note? Have you been there before?

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM
citadel has a fcs loss and no matter how they spin it did zero against fla state's 1's and 2's (citdog i like your southern patronage but don't be so dang defensive)

Did you see the game?

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 08:46 PM
You posted a link to an article where a 20 year old kid was talking out of his ass and insinuated that we were a dirty team. I pointed out that no penalties were called on The Citadel the ENTIRE football game. If you can't draw the correct correlation you may have a couple of synapses that are not firing. I'd seek out a cat scan if I was you.

Evade! Evade!

FCSfan
September 7th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Did you see the game?

every minute. the dive looked good for the most part. the fight was certainly there but as jimbo stated "it was nice to get kids that needed playing experience in for the majority of the 2nd half" (post game interview)
it's okay brother. y'all did as good as any socon team would have against the criminoles.

ElCid
September 7th, 2014, 08:47 PM

I think it was just the innuendo. That article is a hatchet job. And I can't believe that there are so many FSU fans leaving comments implying that it is dirty. As I explained this issue to my wife, who is huge football fan, she could not comprehend this issue as she thought cut blocks were a regular part of the game. I guess a lot of folks like calling it dirty when it fits their spin.

I don't think you called it dirty or illegal, but that is the general buzz and it could be seen as being implied. I don't think the Bulldogs were trying to hurt anyone, but get some good hits in....no more than any defensive player likes to slam a QB to the ground. Last time I checked being physical is part of the game. I am sure none of them ever hope the QBs end up hurt.xconfusedx I think the young man's words were ill chosen, but I, for one, am glad my Dogs have an attitude. And, that in actuality, it really looks like it is FSU just whining. Sore winners because they did hang 60 on us.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:48 PM
every minute. the dive looked good for the most part. the fight was certainly there but as jimbo stated "it was nice to get kids that needed playing experience in for the majority of the 2nd half" (post game interview)
it's okay brother. y'all did as good as any socon team would have against the criminoles.

We moved the ball the entire game. regardless of who they had in the game. Not a SINGLE 3 and out the entire game.

FCSfan
September 7th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I think it was just the innuendo. That article is a hatchet job. And I can't believe that there are so many FSU fans leaving comments implying that it is dirty. As I explained this issue to my wife, who is huge football fan, she could not comprehend this issue as she thought cut blocks were a regular part of the game. I guess a lot of folks like calling it dirty when it fits their spin.

I don't think you called it dirty or illegal, but that is the general buzz and it could be seen as being implied. I don't think the Bulldogs were trying to hurt anyone, but get some good hits in....no more than any defensive player likes to slam a QB to the ground. Last time I checked being physical is part of the game. I am sure none of them ever hope the QBs end up hurt.xconfusedx I think the young man's words were ill chosen, but I, for one, am glad my Dogs have an attitude. And, that in actuality, it really looks like it is FSU just whining. Sore winners because they did hang 60 on us.

agreed. opponents of the citadel, ga southern and wofford have and will have to deal with the LEGAL blocking of these type offenses

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 08:51 PM

A perfectly reasoned response, thanks ElCid.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Evade! Evade!

I answered your question #2.

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Some of y'all don't know how language works, like really you don't have to flat out say that what the Citadel did was illegal but if you bring it up their cut-blocking injuring people as a form of smack or a means to insinuate questionable behavior on the Citadel's part it's certainly insinuating as much.

One of the most annoying things going around here lately is the "I didn't say that, point out where I said that!" sort of thought that people believe recuses them of being a tool or coming off as a tool.

It doesn't matter if FUBeAR said that because Mercer did well against Reinhardt signifies good things for Mercer, his constant bringing it up implies it. It doesn't matter if you said the Citadel did something dirty or illegal, bringing up an arsonist bit by ESPN and butt-hurt FSU fans when it isn't relevant implies that you think it and it's annoying.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I answered your question #2.

No, you didn't. But that's alright...I know you are not going to, but I still have the satisfaction of us both knowing it. You just keep evading like the Army of Northern Virginia until you run out of food and ammo.

FCSfan
September 7th, 2014, 08:56 PM
No, you didn't. But that's alright...I know you are not going to, but I still have the satisfaction of us both knowing it. You just keep evading like the Army of Northern Virginia until you run out of food and ammo.

oooouuuuuuccccchhhhhhh

ElCid
September 7th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Did you see the game?

I don't think he did or he would know we held them to 2 FGs in the third with their 1s and 2s in. He needs to grab the game notes and check the numbers. Also we had our #2 and 3s in during the fourth. I guess that means our 2 and 3s are better than theirs. Something to look forward to. And I really liked that Fr QB Dom Allen. He will be real good. He looked very poised. I wonder if Aaron Miller has anything to worry about. I did not like some of his reads at all.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:01 PM

see the post above yours #2. My satisfaction will be awesome when we whip you.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM

Oh I did...my reading comprehension level is apparently better than yours. And unlike Chattown, I am actually a college graduate and I don't work at Subway...so you may have to up your game a little bit.

I even changed my avatar for you.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:07 PM

Wow...so you and the team are coming over to my house and kicking my ass?

At first I was worried, but than I realized that I should be fine as long as I am wearing some knee braces.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Oh I did...my reading comprehension level is apparently better than yours. And unlike Chattown, I am actually a college graduate and I don't work at Subway...so you may have to up your game a little bit.

I even changed my avatar for you.

So just EXACTLY was it you were insinuating with your post then #2? Chamberlin doesn't bother me one bit. He did this.......

And now they move. The dusky swarms forge forward into gray columns of march. On they come, with the old swinging route step and swaying battle-flags. In the van, the proud Confederate ensign--the great field of white with canton of star-strewn cross of blue on a field of red, the regimental battle-flags with the same escutcheon following on, crowded so thick, by thinning out of men, that the whole column seemed crowned with red. At the right of our line our little group mounted beneath our flags, the red Maltese cross on a field of white, erewhile so bravely borne through many a field more crimson than itself, its mystic meaning now ruling all.
The momentous meaning of this occasion impressed me deeply. I resolved to mark it by some token of recognition, which could be no other than a salute of arms. Well aware of the responsibility assumed, and of the criticisms that would follow, as the sequel proved, nothing of that kind could move me in the least. The act could be defended, if needful, by the suggestion that such a salute was not to the cause for which the flag of the Confederacy stood, but to its going down before the flag of the Union. My main reason, however, was one for which I sought no authority nor asked forgiveness. Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;--was not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured?
Instructions had been given; and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment in succession, gives the soldiers salutation, from the "order arms" to the old "carry"--the marching salute. Gordon at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and. downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and, taking the meaning, wheels superbly, making with himself and his horse one uplifted figure, with profound salutation as he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing to his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual,--honor answering honor. On our part not a sound of trumpet more, nor roll of drum; not a cheer, nor word nor whisper of vain-glorying, nor motion of man standing again at the order, but an awed stillness rather, and breath-holding, as if it were the passing of the dead!
As each successive division masks our own, it halts, the men face inward towards us across the road, twelve feet away; then carefully "dress" their line, each captain taking pains for the good appearance of his company, worn and half starved as they were. The field and staff take their positions in the intervals of regiments; generals in rear of their commands. They fix bayonets, stack arms; then, hesitatingly, remove cartridge-boxes and lay them down. Lastly,-- reluctantly, with agony of expression,--they tenderly fold their flags, battle-worn and torn, blood-stained, heart-holding colors, and lay them down; some frenziedly rushing from the ranks, kneeling over them, clinging to them, pressing them to their lips with burning tears.

From The Passing of the Armies by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlin

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2014, 09:11 PM

At first I was worried, but than I realized that I should be fine as long as I am wearing some knee braces.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

FCSfan
September 7th, 2014, 09:15 PM
So just EXACTLY was it you were insinuating with your post then #2? Chamberlin doesn't bother me one bit. He did this.......

And now they move. The dusky swarms forge forward into gray columns of march. On they come, with the old swinging route step and swaying battle-flags. In the van, the proud Confederate ensign--the great field of white with canton of star-strewn cross of blue on a field of red, the regimental battle-flags with the same escutcheon following on, crowded so thick, by thinning out of men, that the whole column seemed crowned with red. At the right of our line our little group mounted beneath our flags, the red Maltese cross on a field of white, erewhile so bravely borne through many a field more crimson than itself, its mystic meaning now ruling all.
The momentous meaning of this occasion impressed me deeply. I resolved to mark it by some token of recognition, which could be no other than a salute of arms. Well aware of the responsibility assumed, and of the criticisms that would follow, as the sequel proved, nothing of that kind could move me in the least. The act could be defended, if needful, by the suggestion that such a salute was not to the cause for which the flag of the Confederacy stood, but to its going down before the flag of the Union. My main reason, however, was one for which I sought no authority nor asked forgiveness. Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;--was not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured?
Instructions had been given; and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment in succession, gives the soldiers salutation, from the "order arms" to the old "carry"--the marching salute. Gordon at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and. downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and, taking the meaning, wheels superbly, making with himself and his horse one uplifted figure, with profound salutation as he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing to his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual,--honor answering honor. On our part not a sound of trumpet more, nor roll of drum; not a cheer, nor word nor whisper of vain-glorying, nor motion of man standing again at the order, but an awed stillness rather, and breath-holding, as if it were the passing of the dead!
As each successive division masks our own, it halts, the men face inward towards us across the road, twelve feet away; then carefully "dress" their line, each captain taking pains for the good appearance of his company, worn and half starved as they were. The field and staff take their positions in the intervals of regiments; generals in rear of their commands. They fix bayonets, stack arms; then, hesitatingly, remove cartridge-boxes and lay them down. Lastly,-- reluctantly, with agony of expression,--they tenderly fold their flags, battle-worn and torn, blood-stained, heart-holding colors, and lay them down; some frenziedly rushing from the ranks, kneeling over them, clinging to them, pressing them to their lips with burning tears.

From The Passing of the Armies by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlin

can anyone say bi-polar?
mr victor hill apologized for his remark, does this really need to be turned into a blood reference??
el cid, talk to your boy!

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:16 PM

It was just one post above this one you were bragging about your reading comprehension skills.......

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2014, 09:19 PM
I had a conversation with a Furman receiver that played under Bobby Lamb about Furman's practice of cut blocking all over the field. In those days, Furman receivers would routinely take out the legs of defensive backs on running plays. You will see Mercer does the same thing.

The receiver told me that teams hated it, particularly teams that were not used to seeing offenses do it. He said Furman would routinely cut defensive backs, even in the end zone (which apparently infuriated them).

I never saw it as cheap or dirty. Teams knew that is what we did, and they either prepared for it or they did not. Interestingly, I saw Furman DBs drilling before the Mercer game where one player would block for a two count and then dive at the other man's legs. They were certainly aware of the practice.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:20 PM
What I am insinuating is that since you were evading question and so I made the correlation of you being the Army of Northern Virginia in you evasion of your erroneous assumption and I have now taken on the roll of the Northern aggressor. I picked Chamberlain being my hero of the Civil War (and my senior thesis in college)...partially because of his brilliance in the field, but mainly do to his honorable treatment of those who were defeated.

ElCid
can anyone say bi-polar?
mr victor hill apologized for his remark, does this really need to be turned into a blood reference??

I never interrupt a man on a mission.

citdog
can anyone say bi-polar?

Can anyone say shift key?

#2 can't even insult me properly. For future reference these two will work.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/union-generals/sherman/pictures/general-william-tecumseh-sherman.jpg

http://www.messagefromparadise.com/.a/6a00e553f900988833015436809400970c-800wi

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:22 PM
It was just one post above this one you were bragging about your reading comprehension skills.......

My comprehension skills are fine...you are the one using the word "we." So either you are coming with the team or you have eligibility left.

ElCid
September 7th, 2014, 09:23 PM

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/union-generals/sherman/pictures/general-william-tecumseh-sherman.jpg

You just have to love citdog giving instruction on the proper way to insult. Priceless!

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:24 PM

Why would I use those tired old gems. They're about as stale your you schtick on here.

(I did consider Sherman for a second...he did start his march to Atlanta and then to the sea in Chattanooga...but I never like him much)

FCSfan
September 7th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I never interrupt a man on a mission.

can't blame you there
just hope his mission doesn't lead to delusions
go citdog, go!

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Why would I use those tired old gems. They're about as stale your you schtick on here.

Funny how you don't have any banners on your avatar........

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:37 PM

Wow Poteete...did you really just pull out the "look at my message board awards!!!!!" to try and insult me?

I actually kind of feel sorry for you know...because I just realized, you have 18,000 posts on here...this is your life.

Congrats on your AGS participation ribbon. Did you get a write-up in the Blue and White Newsletter for this impressive accomplishment?

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Wow Poteete...did you really just pull out the "look at my message board awards!!!!!" to try and insult me?

I actually kind of feel sorry for you know...because I just realized, you have 18,000 posts on here...this is your life.

Congrats on your AGS participation ribbon. Did you get a write-up in the Blue and White Newsletter for this impressive accomplishment?

Was that yet another poorly executed and extremely feeble attempt to insult me? Or are you coming on to me? I can't tell.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Was that yet another poorly executed and extremely feeble attempt to insult me? I can't tell.

You do one thing well...when losing...evade! Keep it up Poteete.

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I am not the one who identifies his self-worth by having banners next to my name on a message board. But it is obviously important to you. That's cool.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:43 PM
You do one thing well...when losing...evade! Keep it up Poteete.

#2 do you like movies with gladiators?

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:44 PM

Hey Poteete...you ever been in a turkish prison?

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:44 PM
I am not the one who identifies his self-worth by having banners next to my name on a message board. But it is obviously important to you. That's cool.

I have just a TREMENDOUS amount of unearned self esteem! Thanks for noticing!

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I have just a TREMENDOUS amount of unearned self esteem! Thanks for noticing!

I think we can agree on that...though I think most people would probably just consider it being delusional. But that's just semantics.

FCSfan
September 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM

Kinda personal citdog...wanting to see my banners and such....
You haven't even bought me a drink yet

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Have you ever seen a grown man nekkid? Who am I kidding? Citdog's seen plenty of those. All male shower hours are a thing at The Citadel.

When I made the joke about spending time in a Turkish prison...I quickly realized that Poteete would know exactly what my joke was about...it's just like his plebe year at the Citadel.

woffordgrad94
September 7th, 2014, 09:50 PM

Have you ever seen a grown man naked? Well, being from The Citadel, where all male shower hours are a big thing, I already know the answer to that one.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I think we can agree on that...though I think most people would probably just consider it being delusional. But that's just semantics.

Yep!

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda personal citdog...wanting to see my banners and such....
You haven't even bought me a drink yet

Pay attention fan I don't EVER buy drinks!

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:52 PM
When I made the joke about spending time in a Turkish prison...I quickly realized that Poteete would know exactly what my joke was about...it's just like his plebe year at the Citadel.

#2 there ain't a prison in turkey that could hold me

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Have you ever seen a grown man naked? Well, being from The Citadel, where all male shower hours are a big thing, I already know the answer to that one.

Yep it's TOTALLY Gay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr5S8Molho8

chattanoogamocs
September 7th, 2014, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=citdog;2139911]Yep!

- - - Updated - - -

Smart move Citdog...you realized I was prepared to do this all night so you turned the tables by using some well-timed self-deprecating humor to extract yourself from a flame war. Well played, Sir. You know your North/South history well.

longtimemocfan
September 7th, 2014, 10:16 PM
1) Wofford- Maybe the most complete team right now.
2) Furman- Not sure if they even belong here. Time will tell.
3) The Citadel- Played pretty well considering the odds against them.
4) Samford- Will see how they do against FCS competition.
5) Chattanooga- If we can't get our O-line play figured out we won't be this high. Maybe we can block Austin Peay ?
6) Mercer- Played well in Saturdays loss.
7) Western Car.- Defending the run has been a concern for The Cats. Gave up a bunch against Brevard.
8) VMI-Probably better than they showed against BG.

dungeonjoe
September 8th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Samford
Western Carolina
Wofford
South Carolina State
Gardner Webb
Mercer

Fan, your fascination with history must bring you great joy. The thing about connecting losses, wins, and trends from one season to the other is the things that happen in the offseason between December and August. There are graduations, injuries heal, offseason training and teaching, new recruits come in, film is studied. New coaches arrive and fresh ways of looking at the world abound. Last year was last year; this year is this year. Notice the tense change? By your logic, Furman should be blowing people out because Hannon ended last year well. But regrettably, he is not playing now.
Can our powers of observation tell us anything about this year?

dungeonjoe
September 8th, 2014, 05:35 AM
1. Chattanoogamocs: really showing offensive potential despite a low post count. Successfully able to pick 6 a couple of barbs from the caustic master
2. Citdog: going for the knees in an aggressive albeit legal way since Cain cut blocked Abel.
3. Woffordgrad94: fanning the flames since 1994 from the comfort and safety of a nuclear power station
4. PaladinFan: as faithful to 2013 as citdog is to 1863.
5. Youngterrier: able to bite ankles and toss grenades while simultaneously preparing for rush (the frat thing, not the band).
6. The rest of the SoCon posters in this thread:"what do you mean the SoCon is a mess, MY team is clearly #1!"

Isn't football season a fun and relaxing way to get away from the stress and conflict of the everyday world?:)

AshevilleApp2
September 8th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Yep!

- - - Updated - - -

Pay attention fan I don't EVER buy drinks!

xlolx

The Cats
September 8th, 2014, 08:49 AM
back to the topic.....

1) Wofford
2) Chattanooga
3) Furman
4) Western Carolina
5) Samford
6) The Citadel
7) VMI
8) Mercer

Predictions
Stillman @ Samford
Davidson @ VMI
Catawba @ Western Carolina
Chattanooga @ Austin Peay
Mercer @ Stetson
Furman @ Presbyterian

OL FU
September 8th, 2014, 08:54 AM
back to the topic.....

1) Wofford
2) Chattanooga
3) Furman
4) Western Carolina
5) Samford
6) The Citadel
7) VMI
8) Mercer

Predictions
Stillman @ Samford
Davidson @ VMI
Mercer @ Stetson
Furman @ Presbyterian

And as everybody said, things are confusing because of schedules filled with D2 and FBS, this week doesn't clear things up much. Not sure how we managed an FCS schedule the first of the year but that is certainly one reason it is easy to see that while we are 2-0 we don't seem to be living up to the hype. Hopefully, we straighten out the offense this week.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2014, 09:46 AM
The good news is, outside of Tennessee, the toughest games of the season are behind the Mocs. Almost everyone on here (me included) figured the team might start 0-2...so while I am disappointed that this team is obviously not ready for the top of the FCS, it is still a good team...I think they will be very good if they can iron out their offensive problems. Hopefully they can go up and stomp Austin Peay quickly and get some confidence back.

Jax State tougher than any SoCon game? Why don't you UTC malcontents move to the OVC!

But seriously, though, I don't see any conference games you can really mark down as a win other than VMI.

wcucat15
September 8th, 2014, 09:54 AM
1. Wofford
2. Furman
3. Western Carolina
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. The Citadel
7. VMI
8. Mercer

This weeks preditions:
Stillman 7 @ Samford 50 Bulldogs easy win
Davidson 14 @ VMI 38 Freshmen QB is pretty good for VMI
Catawba 28 @ Western Carolina 56 we can't stop the run.
Chattanooga 42 @ Austin Peay 14 first win of the season for the Mocs
Mercer 37 @ Stetson 14 I thought Western was bad last season; Stetson was worst.
Furman 24 @ Presbyterian 14 Furman's "D" is darn good.
North Greenville 17 @ Wofford 45 I think they are the team to beat in the SoCon so far.

OL FU
September 8th, 2014, 10:02 AM
How is that relevant to how well Furman has performed so far in the current, relevant season of 2014? Go on, take your time, I'll wait on an answer.

As a follow up, how far up does your head have to be up your ass to derail a legitimate sentiment to chest-beat about how your team made the playoffs and mine ended on a sour note? Have you been there before?

The point is (in my humble opinion) with the possible exception of Furman and Chatt and The Citadel (because we have played FCS competition) it is difficult to say how anyone is doing at the point. Anyone putting Wofford first with confidence because of the Ga Tech game is probably really looking at recent history where with the exception of the every four year thing, they have been at or near the top of the conference. Making judgments about Wofford because they played Ga Tech or the Citadel because of Florida State makes about as much sense as making judgments about PC because they played Bluefield.

SU DOG
September 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Y'all just keep believing that Samford is 5th, 6th, or even 7th. xthumbsupx

Mocs123
September 8th, 2014, 10:23 AM
1. Furman. They won and have this spot until somebody takes it from them.
2. Chattanooga. Defense is solid, offense is a mess. We better get it figured out by sept 27th.
3. Wofford. Hard to judge having just played GT.
4. Samford. Yet to see where they really fall.
5. Citadel. Played decent against FSU.
6. Western Carolina. Getting better, especially on offense.
7. Mercer. Played a great game against FU.
8. VMI. Tough week for the Keydets.
9. ETSU.

Stillman 7
Samford 38

Davidson 10
VMI 28

Catawba 17
Western 42

Chattanooga 24
Austin Peay 3

Mercer 45
Stetson 31

Furman 27
Presbyterian 10

North Greenville 13
Wofford 52

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2014, 10:31 AM
The point is (in my humble opinion) with the possible exception of Furman and Chatt and The Citadel (because we have played FCS competition) it is difficult to say how anyone is doing at the point. Anyone putting Wofford first with confidence because of the Ga Tech game is probably really looking at recent history where with the exception of the every four year thing, they have been at or near the top of the conference. Making judgments about Wofford because they played Ga Tech or the Citadel because of Florida State makes about as much sense as making judgments about PC because they played Bluefield.

I rewrote a post several times and just canned it. You explained it better than I could.

Of course folks look to the prior year. That is how any of us have any knowledge about anything (unless you have an in-depth knowledge of every team's coaching, recruitment, player development, etc.). We saw what we saw last year, and made logical inferences based upon those observations.

dungeonjoe
September 8th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Well reasoned, my friend. However, an overemphasis of the past as predestination for the future is folly (in more ways than in football). In 2013, Wofford tried to play as if Breitenstein was still running the ball as he did in 2012. The results were disastrous. Things have changed with the Furman team in 2014; Hannon is gone, there have been shifts in personnel. It looks like the team is making adjustments. Let's hope the fans do as well. Because if your "inferences" don't change with reality, you will be in a world of disappointment as well as people quoting what you posted in July and August come December.

FCSfan
September 8th, 2014, 11:14 AM

very true mr ol fu...
one of the reasons i loved playing and i love watching college football is you never really know no matter how much you think you know

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2014, 11:34 AM
1. Chattanoogamocs: really showing offensive potential despite a low post count. Successfully able to pick 6 a couple of barbs from the caustic master
2. Citdog: going for the knees in an aggressive albeit legal way since Cain cut blocked Abel.
3. Woffordgrad94: fanning the flames since 1994 from the comfort and safety of a nuclear power station
4. PaladinFan: as faithful to 2013 as citdog is to 1863.
5. Youngterrier: able to bite ankles and toss grenades while simultaneously preparing for rush (the frat thing, not the band).
6. The rest of the SoCon posters in this thread:"what do you mean the SoCon is a mess, MY team is clearly #1!"

Isn't football season a fun and relaxing way to get away from the stress and conflict of the everyday world?:)

LOL...I just provided more offense in 20 posts on here than the Mocs have shown in the last two games on the field. ;)

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Jax State tougher than any SoCon game? Why don't you UTC malcontents move to the OVC!

But seriously, though, I don't see any conference games you can really mark down as a win other than VMI.

Trust me, I am not happy to have to say JSU is better than the Chattanooga/SoCon in anything. Seriously, I would rather kiss Yosef or drink water out of Eagle Creek before I would want to give a compliment to JSU. Those guys are as arrogant as GSU fans...but without any national championships. :)

As for not being able to really mark down any game as a win except for VMI...from the performances of the first two weeks, I would say that statement pretty much applies to anyone in the conference right now. No one has necessarily looked horrible, but no one has looked very good either.

All I can say is that I hope I am wrong and someone in the conference ends up better than JSU...but JSU is either going to have to fall flat...or someone from the SoCon is going to have to really step it up. People can ride me for the statement, but it doesn't change the fact that it is true now and has a high probability of being true at the end of the season.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM

See, that's not an illegitimate sentiment, but in the context of my post, it's irrelevant. I never said anything about Wofford, just drew into contention opinions about Furman being as good as some say they are. Subsequently, the furman fan just reminded me about us being on a losing streak and Furman being on a winning streak or something, which was totally irrelevant. If anything it was derailing.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I rewrote a post several times and just canned it. You explained it better than I could.

Of course folks look to the prior year. That is how any of us have any knowledge about anything (unless you have an in-depth knowledge of every team's coaching, recruitment, player development, etc.). We saw what we saw last year, and made logical inferences based upon those observations.
Yeah, but your point was an inference about teams performances, at least not an accurate one.

Wofford was on a losing streak because our schedule at the tail end of the year was tougher than the front end, yet you conflate that rhetorically with Wofford being terrible, as evident by the fact that you're listing Furman's victories in comparison to Wofford's lack there of, ignoring context of competition, playoff games, and so on.

So please, stop the bait and switch, because I'm not having any of it

OL FU
September 8th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Well reasoned, my friend. However, an overemphasis of the past as predestination for the future is folly (in more ways than in football). In 2013, Wofford tried to play as if Breitenstein was still running the ball as he did in 2012. The results were disastrous. Things have changed with the Furman team in 2014; Hannon is gone, there have been shifts in personnel. It looks like the team is making adjustments. Let's hope the fans do as well. Because if your "inferences" don't change with reality, you will be in a world of disappointment as well as people quoting what you posted in July and August come December.

I don't disagree but my point was more that there are few if any comparables so far this year. You can't look at Wofford and say well we played GT well. BSC and FCS games don't allow inferences unless you are NDSU and win them. Better example is probably El Cid and Florida ST. Arguably the best team in FBS. They beat El Cid by I forget 25?. There are teams in FBS that FSU will beat by more than 25 that on most days would beat El Cid by more than 25. It is simply (most of the time) a meaningless exercise. Now Ga Tech may be a little more comparable cuz they ain't that good.

OL FU
September 8th, 2014, 12:45 PM
See, that's not an illegitimate sentiment, but in the context of my post, it's irrelevant. I never said anything about Wofford, just drew into contention opinions about Furman being as good as some say they are. Subsequently, the furman fan just reminded me about us being on a losing streak and Furman being on a winning streak or something, which was totally irrelevant. If anything it was derailing.

Your post was about not using the past season as a predictor of this year. and my point wasn't so much directed at you (although I was responding to your post) by saying that is what most people are doing when they put Wofford first. Just using Wofford as an example, my friend. The truth of the matter is that I might put Wofford first also. Simply based on the past. But I refuse to until we see some comparable results.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Yeah, but your point was an inference about teams performances, at least not an accurate one.

Wofford was on a losing streak because our schedule at the tail end of the year was tougher than the front end, yet you conflate that rhetorically with Wofford being terrible, as evident by the fact that you're listing Furman's victories in comparison to Wofford's lack there of, ignoring context of competition, playoff games, and so on.

So please, stop the bait and switch, because I'm not having any of it

It is not a bait and switch. Someone argues that Wofford is the conference's best team. Fine, that's your opinion. I am only asking why. One of the reasons I do not think Wofford is the best team in the SoCon is because they lost four conference games to end 2013 and lost to begin 2014.

It has nothing to do with Wofford being terrible. But if someone is going to argue that Wofford deserves the top spot, then at least support that argument. Even if your support is "well, I like Ayers and it's Monday." If you think Wofford looked better getting blown out by GT than Furman did beating Mercer and GWU, fine. At least have a reason.

This is not a Furman plug, either. I think UTC is the SoCon's top team despite their record.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Furman's DE Gary Wilkins wins his second straight SoCon DPOTW award (http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209638600&DB_OEM_ID=4000).

Jon Croft Hollingsworth wins his first specialist of the week award. Kid looks like he's about 140 lbs soaking wet, but man he's got a leg.

I suspect that these awards will not be the last for those two. Both have started off 2014 with a bang.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2014, 01:08 PM
It is not a bait and switch. Someone argues that Wofford is the conference's best team. Fine, that's your opinion. I am only asking why. One of the reasons I do not think Wofford is the best team in the SoCon is because they lost four conference games to end 2013 and lost to begin 2014.

It has nothing to do with Wofford being terrible. But if someone is going to argue that Wofford deserves the top spot, then at least support that argument. Even if your support is "well, I like Ayers and it's Monday." If you think Wofford looked better getting blown out by GT than Furman did beating Mercer and GWU, fine. At least have a reason.

This is not a Furman plug, either. I think UTC is the SoCon's top team despite their record.

I admit that I take into account previous years in my rankings, but you have to admit trends have a way of repeating themselves...

Here's what I know

Wofford has a tendency to sometimes be good when no one expects them to be good. More so than any other SoCon team.
Furman has improved a good bit over the course of last year and it was only a matter of time before they got back into the conversation
UTC has talent but has a tendency to sabotage themselves.
Samford hasn't been consistent enough since they joined the SoCon to make me believe that they can simply rebuild what they had last year
The Citadel will have some impressive showings and some very unimpressive showings all in the same year.

dungeonjoe
September 8th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I admit that I take into account previous years in my rankings, but you have to admit trends have a way of repeating themselves...

Here's what I know

Wofford has a tendency to sometimes be good when no one expects them to be good. More so than any other SoCon team.
Furman has improved a good bit over the course of last year and it was only a matter of time before they got back into the conversation
Samford hasn't been consistent enough since they joined the SoCon to make me believe that they can simply rebuild what they had last year
The Citadel will have some impressive showings and some very unimpressive showings all in the same year.
There is a student of the Southern Conference, its history and trends. Bravo.

dungeonjoe
September 8th, 2014, 01:39 PM
LOL...I just provided more offense in 20 posts on here than the Mocs have shown in the last two games on the field. ;)
And you have a sense of humor to boot.

Smitty
September 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM
1) Wofford
2) Chattanooga
3) Furman
4) Samford
5) Western Carolina
6) The Citadel
7) VMI
8) Mercer

Predictions
Stillman @ Samford
Davidson @ VMI
Mercer @ Stetson
Furman @ Presbyterian

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2014, 02:43 PM

Here's what I know

I would be pulling what is left of my hair out were I a UTC fan. I've witnessed my fair share of epic meltdowns at Furman, but I've lost count of how many one score games UTC has dropped.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2014, 03:00 PM

no no no. In the context of your response to my post, it was a bait and switch.

In the post where you randomly inserted your head up your ass to make a point to chest-beat about Furman's recent wins to Wofford's recent losses, I didn't say a word about Wofford. Rather, I made the point that it is certainly debatable whether or not the teams Furman has beaten in the first 2 weeks were quality or at least the way they won were quality. It doesn't matter if you think Wofford should be towards the top or not, because you were attacking a point I wasn't making and changing the subject to something totally unrelated to Furman's performance in the first two weeks of this season, namely Wofford's 4 game losing streak to cap off last year.

Those are two completely unrelated phenomena. If you want to criticize the way FSU played the last couple weeks a legitimate detraction is not "Well Alabama didn't play well against West Virginia" or "Ohio State lost to VIRGINIA ****ING TECH"

It just doesn't work that way. I mean, if we want to talk about Wofford's problems I'll agree with them, but it's got nothing to do with Furman's poor performance so far.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2014, 03:55 PM
no no no. In the context of your response to my post, it was a bait and switch.

In the post where you randomly inserted your head up your ass to make a point to chest-beat about Furman's recent wins to Wofford's recent losses, I didn't say a word about Wofford. Rather, I made the point that it is certainly debatable whether or not the teams Furman has beaten in the first 2 weeks were quality or at least the way they won were quality. It doesn't matter if you think Wofford should be towards the top or not, because you were attacking a point I wasn't making and changing the subject to something totally unrelated to Furman's performance in the first two weeks of this season, namely Wofford's 4 game losing streak to cap off last year.

Those are two completely unrelated phenomena. If you want to criticize the way FSU played the last couple weeks a legitimate detraction is not "Well Alabama didn't play well against West Virginia" or "Ohio State lost to VIRGINIA ****ING TECH"

It just doesn't work that way. I mean, if we want to talk about Wofford's problems I'll agree with them, but it's got nothing to do with Furman's poor performance so far.

Follow me here. Furman is ranked based on people's perception of how good or not good they happen to be. People's perception is based largely upon what Furman did or did not do last year. People did not rank Furman 1 or 2 in the SoCon because they just came up with it. They ranked them there because Furman won a SoCon title and returned 17 starters.

People ranked Wofford for the same reason. Any perception of Wofford is largely based on their 2013 performance, because the Terriers have not done anything in 2014 to warrant being the "most complete team in the SoCon." Again, that is just my opinion.

If you perceive that Furman should have beaten teams worse than they did, fine. Is Furman the 12th best team in the country? I have no idea. Again, they are ranked there largely because of what they did last year and the fact they are one of five or six teams in the entire top 25 that has not lost, and maybe even one of two or three that has two FCS wins.

To act like 2013 is irrelevant ignores the obvious. It forms the basis for any opinion anyone has about any team in the country.

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 04:06 PM
But what if the score to the Furman-Chattanooga game is 3-2?

OL FU
September 8th, 2014, 04:09 PM
But what if the score to the Furman-Chattanooga game is 3-2?

As long as FU has the 3. I'm Goodxthumbsupx

ElCid
September 8th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I think I may have to revise my previous rankings. I think that this about sums it up...to date. There is a symmetry to it. I know it is not as much fun, but I think it is pretty accurate.

1) Vacant
2) Vacant
3) Furman, Wofford, Chattanooga
4) The Citadel, Western Carolina, Samford
5) Vacant
6) Vacant
7) Mercer, VMI
8) Vacant

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I think Wofford is pretty good...How good, I don't know, but I expected them to be...Evan Jacks is a year more experienced and I think last year was the Breitenstein hangover year...Wofford is always solid on defense...That being said, it's way too early to tell...On the same hand, it's too early to make judgements that Chattanooga and Furman are less than advertised...Chattanooga and Furman are very much the same team in a lot of ways...Furman, however, played a qb that hasn't played a game and a quarter of football in his entire college career against Mercer, and that, coupled with a well-coached, talented Mercer team on the road, was never going to be a blowout win for Furman...The stats will reveal Furman was dominant in the game...367-268 yards in total offense and Furman punted just once the entire night...So, saying the offense is absolutely horrible is not entirely true...Furman's game plan was very vanilla based on a lot of things...That would be more accurate...The truth is, college football coaches aren't too concerned on whether their team should beat the other team by 40 pts...All they look at is getting a result...They don't take championships or playoff bids way because you don't win impressively enough...If that is the case, many people should be questioning FSU at the FBS level because they haven't been too impressive so far...But they are still the best team in the nation...Just because they didn't beat Citadel 70-12, doesn't mean they aren't the best team in college football.

OL FU
September 8th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I think Wofford is pretty good...How good, I don't know, but I expected them to be...Evan Jacks is a year more experienced and I think last year was the Breitenstein hangover year...Wofford is always solid on defense...That being said, it's way too early to tell...On the same hand, it's too early to make judgements that Chattanooga and Furman are less than advertised...Chattanooga and Furman are very much the same team in a lot of ways...Furman, however, played a qb that hasn't played a game and a quarter of football in his entire college career against Mercer, and that, coupled with a well-coached, talented Mercer team on the road, was never going to be a blowout win for Furman...The stats will reveal Furman was dominant in the game...367-268 yards in total offense and Furman punted just once the entire night...So, saying the offense is absolutely horrible is not entirely true...Furman's game plan was very vanilla based on a lot of things...That would be more accurate...The truth is, college football coaches aren't too concerned on whether their team should beat the other team by 40 pts...All they look at is getting a result...They don't take championships or playoff bids way because you don't win impressively enough...If that is the case, many people should be questioning FSU at the FBS level because they haven't been too impressive so far...But they are still the best team in the nation...Just because they didn't beat Citadel 70-12, doesn't mean they aren't the best team in college football.

Very good summary. My concern is that we haven't scored TDs (even with Hannon in the game). Of course we didn't, but score TDs instead of FGs on the first two drives of the game and we probably have a very different score at Mercer.

In a lot ways though, I like El Cid's version of the rankings.

PaladinNation
September 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Based on wins I guess Furman gets my top spot. But that could change after this weekend.
The good news for Furman when their next SoCon match comes up WCU on Set 27th, is that Woodruff will have 3 games under his belt.
Now the question marks? Does Furman's rebuild on offense show signs of improving?
Has the offensive line made some strides (especially at tackle) wouldn't be surprised to see true freshman 6-3 317 Terrell Bush starting against the Cats.
The big 'what if' when or will the coaches open up the playbook, and stop playing conservative with Woodruff under center?
Furman has the weapons on offense to be the team most were predicting, the question is how long will it take the Paladin offense to get productive.

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM
The point is (in my humble opinion) with the possible exception of Furman and Chatt and The Citadel (because we have played FCS competition) it is difficult to say how anyone is doing at the point.

Did FU move 'up' to FBS with the Appy's and Iggles or are they now 'down' in the NAIA with, let's say, I don't know, maybe, oh, I'll pick a team off the top of my head...REINHARDT? Cuz, if not, I think you omitted a team from that list. You can say that team sux, of course, if you want (though I know YOU have not...yet) as they are 0-1 vs FCS competition (as are 2 of the teams that you listed, I think), but please don't omit the poor LittleBears. They may be completely irrelevant for the next several years, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A

OL FU
September 8th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Did FU move 'up' to FBS with the Appy's and Iggles or are they now 'down' in the NAIA with, let's say, I don't know, maybe, oh, I'll pick a team off the top of my head...REINHARDT? Cuz, if not, I think you omitted a team from that list. You can say that team sux. of course, if you want (though I know YOU have not) as they are 0-1 vs FCS competition (as are 2 of the teams that you listed, I think), but please don't omit the poor LittleBears. They may be completely irrelevant for the next several years, but...

Nah, I was just waiting on you to correct mexdrunkyx Wouldn't want to spoil your fun:D

AshevilleApp2
September 8th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Did FU move 'up' to FBS with the Appy's and Iggles or are they now 'down' in the NAIA with, let's say, I don't know, maybe, oh, I'll pick a team off the top of my head...REINHARDT? Cuz, if not, I think you omitted a team from that list. You can say that team sux, of course, if you want (though I know YOU have not...yet) as they are 0-1 vs FCS competition (as are 2 of the teams that you listed, I think), but please don't omit the poor LittleBears. They may be completely irrelevant for the next several years, but...

You're going to fit in fine here.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Good post. Welcome to the melee.

Furman fans were sick last year after it took blocking a 19 year game winning field goal to beat Presbyterian. Those games build character, I think.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Based on wins I guess Furman gets my top spot. But that could change after this weekend.
The good news for Furman when their next SoCon match comes up WCU on Set 27th, is that Woodruff will have 3 games under his belt.
Now the question marks? Does Furman's rebuild on offense show signs of improving?
Has the offensive line made some strides (especially at tackle) wouldn't be surprised to see true freshman 6-3 317 Terrell Bush starting against the Cats.
The big 'what if' when or will the coaches open up the playbook, and stop playing conservative with Woodruff under center?
Furman has the weapons on offense to be the team most were predicting, the question is how long will it take the Paladin offense to get productive.

Bush got a couple of plays in Saturday night. Charles Emert is a versatile lineman with starts at Center. You gotta go with your best five in whatever combination.

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 04:35 PM
To be more accurate...Furman's red zone offense has been poor...The offense in general on Sat. night was great until they moved inside Mercer's 20...that's where breakdowns occurred...One because the play-calling, and rightfully so, became more conservative with a new man under center, and with the kicker Furman has, there was a tendency not to want to take chances and squander points I think...but you have to give Mercer some credit too...They played well, especially No. 51...Tunde Ayinla is a beast...Reminded me of Wofford's Tarek Odom in a lot of ways.

1. Furman
2. Chattanooga
3. Wofford
4. Western Carolina
5. Samford
5. The Citadel
7. Mercer
8. VMI

Picks
Furman 30, PC 10--Paladins begin to find offense, with Woodruff tossing a pair of scoring passes to Snellings to increase his total to three receiving TDs this season.
Mercer 37, Stetson 20--Russ and the Mercer offense gets back to big offensive numbers on the ground
Wofford 48, North Greenville 17--Jacks starts, but Weimer and Butler get time in lopsided win
VMI 28, Davidson 3--VMI finds its offense
Samford 40, Stillman 0--Big day for Tartt, returns two INTs for scores
Western Carolina 52, Catawba 20--Benson back this week

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 04:44 PM
And Chattanooga wins 38-0 over Austin Peay...Davis Tull scores twice on fumble returns caused by him!

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2014, 04:51 PM
And Chattanooga wins 38-0 over Austin Peay...Davis Tull scores twice on fumble returns caused by him!

I am feeling pretty optimistic about the Mocs going into the game, so I am picking 31-0

Two picks 6's
One fumble recovery returned for a TD
2 safeties
2 field goals after defense knocks ball loose on punt returns to set up short yardage situations.

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2014, 04:53 PM
You know it is bad schedule week for the SoCon when the best opponent is Presbyterian.

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 04:58 PM
You know it is bad schedule week for the SoCon when the best opponent is Presbyterian.

Ouch but true

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2014, 05:03 PM
but you have to give Mercer some credit too...They played well, especially No. 51...Tunde Ayinla is a beast...

John - Thanks for the shout-out to MY MAN Tunde! I hope you DID mean him (he's #59...Kyle Williams is #51, a FR OLB...and a beast-in-the-making). In 2011, I was helping coach an opposing HS's O-Line and Tunde might as well have lined up in our backfield, cuz that's where he was ALL NIGHT...and he was also sideline-to-sideline from a DT position. GREAT MOTOR!! I believe he ended up at Mercer because PC decided, at the last minute, not to offer him because he is a 'tweener' - not tall enough for DE and not big enough for DT (ain't 'measurables' great?). Their mistake was Mercer's GAIN...and he's a GREAT kid. I bet the PC Coach who recruits Cherokee HS and/or their DL coach will be sinking low in their chairs when they watch the FU-Mercer scout video this week and the HC asks them who the heck decided NOT to offer #59.

ElCid
September 8th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I am feeling pretty optimistic about the Mocs going into the game, so I am picking 31-0

Two picks 6's
One fumble recovery returned for a TD
2 safeties
2 field goals after defense knocks ball loose on punt returns to set up short yardage situations.

Nice, but I would have thought

1 pick six, a botched PAT, but the holder dives in for 2
1 fumble return for TD
4 FGs
2 safeties

I am sure it could go either way. I was surprised to see the lack of any serious offensive output. No offense intended to Jack St, but I don't think they are that dominant. Although I can't seem to shake off the memory of what they did to Samford last year. Still there must have been something rotten with the Mocs attitude. Blowing the previous weeks lead must have left then pretty low.

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 05:13 PM
FUBear...You are correct...I did man #59, but #51, who I think is starting for Aguebor, also played a great game.

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 05:15 PM
meant "mean"...not sure how to edit posts on here...sorry...lol

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Nice, but I would have thought

1 pick six, a botched PAT, but the holder dives in for 2

Nope...that can't happen, Baby Hues is the holder...he hasn't been near the endzone since the October of 2013. ;)

But seriously. I agree that while JSU has a very good defense, it was as much the Mocs ineptitude as it was stellar defensive play.

OC needs to make some serious changes quick...or he needs to start polishing his resume for his next step down the ladder in the NAIA or DII.

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Nah, I was just waiting on you to correct mexdrunkyx Wouldn't want to spoil your fun:D

Any time I can work an iconic 80's music video or movie quote with semi-relevance into a post, I am DEFINITELY having fun...cuz, y'know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Follow me here. Furman is ranked based on people's perception of how good or not good they happen to be. People's perception is based largely upon what Furman did or did not do last year. People did not rank Furman 1 or 2 in the SoCon because they just came up with it. They ranked them there because Furman won a SoCon title and returned 17 starters.

People ranked Wofford for the same reason. Any perception of Wofford is largely based on their 2013 performance, because the Terriers have not done anything in 2014 to warrant being the "most complete team in the SoCon." Again, that is just my opinion.

If you perceive that Furman should have beaten teams worse than they did, fine. Is Furman the 12th best team in the country? I have no idea. Again, they are ranked there largely because of what they did last year and the fact they are one of five or six teams in the entire top 25 that has not lost, and maybe even one of two or three that has two FCS wins.

To act like 2013 is irrelevant ignores the obvious. It forms the basis for any opinion anyone has about any team in the country.

Yeah that's cool, but you're deflecting still. Furman has not been impressive so far this year, and that's my only point. Wofford doesn't matter in the context of the post I made. Completely irrelevant. I didn't even say anything about disqualifying last year's accomplishments or lack there of, just that in the year 2014 I thought Furman would do better based upon the personnel returning from the 2013 squad. Even then...not so much.

So, there's no need to insert your head up your ass in such a dense way. If you think Furman's performed like a top 25 ranked team or on par with expectations in the first 2 games you're on the level of FUBeAR in terms of homer tunnel-vision.

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Dungeon Joe...I agree with your above statement, but there have been plenty of times when a team hasn't played worthy of a Top 25 ranking, yet they remain ranked...Even teams that have lost...I remember Wofford was ranked for like three weeks last season...all after losses, yet were still ranked...It happens to everyone...I don't think Furman deserves to be 12th, but it's hard to say they don't deserve to be ranked after a 2-0 start...If it were up to me, I wouldn't rank teams until after week five because then I think you have a better idea of how a team is going to be...Furman has not done anything to discredit its ranking because rankings only consider wins and losses...As fans, we can make subjective judgements on it, but to be honest, no one really has any idea...I can't say whether Furman deserves their Top 25 status or not based on the "eye test" because I haven't seen every other team play...What I can say is, Furman brought back 17 starters that went to the playoffs last season and are 2-0 so far, so in that case, they deserve their ranking...Gardner-Webb has one of the best defenses in the nation and Wake Forest scored just 23 points against that "D" on Saturday...Not that Wake Forest is great, but they are an FBS school...So, Furman really hasn't been as bad as people think...It's perception that they have...They had something like 367 yds last week and 328 yds in the opener...those aren't horrible performances...Wake gained 387 yds on GW last week and scored 10 more points than FU...Here's the thing....Reinhardt is NAIA...That means they can get anyone in to a two-year school and some of these guys will probably go FBS...the whole reason some folks go there is that they don't have the grades to get in an FBS program....Reinhardt is probably better than half the Pioneer League or at least as good...So doing score comparisons based on the fact that Mercer only beat Reinhardt by three points probably isn't a fair comparison...Because we don't know how good Reinhardt is, but one would assume they are Reinhardt, so they must not be good...All I am saying is, Furman has not played great, but I don't know what that means and I don't necessarily means they haven't played good enough to be in FCS Top 25...That's all...But I do agree, I think they should have been better on offense...But then again, they have a backup trying to learn the offense and get reps.

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 06:09 PM
whoops meant I agree with Youngterrier not dungeojoe...Although I probably agree with some of his too...lol

BearDownMU
September 8th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Be careful Soconjohn. Don't even try to attempt to suggest that gutter trash Reinhardt could even beat a NW Georgia high school team! If you do, you will suffer the wrath of the board.

longtimemocfan
September 8th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I would be pulling what is left of my hair out were I a UTC fan. I've witnessed my fair share of epic meltdowns at Furman, but I've lost count of how many one score games UTC has dropped.

Trust me I have pulled my hair out several times....Have not verified this myself,but some poster on the Moc message board said it was 10 straight losses by 3 points or less. A trend that HAS to be reversed soon.

chattanoogamocs
September 8th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Trust me I have pulled my hair out several times....Have not verified this myself,but some poster on the Moc message board said it was 10 straight losses by 3 points or less. A trend that HAS to be reversed soon.

Let me clean that up a little bit...because when you first read it, it reads like the Mocs last 10 losses have been by 3 points or less. What it should be (and it is no less depressing) is that the last 10 times the Mocs have played in a game decided by 3 points or less, they have lost.

2014 #9 JSU 23-26 L
2013 at Samford 14-17 L
2013 at #15 GSU 21-23 L
2012 at #13 Wofford 13-16 OT L
2012 at #24 JSU 24-27 L
2011 at #3 ASU 12-14 L*
2011 Citadel 27-28 L*
2011 at #1 GSU 27-28 L*
2011 Wofford 27-28 L
2010 #3 ASU 41-42 L
2009 Citadel 31-28 W

You can also throw in this one...
2012 #2 GSU 31-39 3OT

*That might be the most heartbreaking stretch of football in my life...losing by a total of 4 points, including the #1 and #3 ranked teams on the road.

Apparently it starts getting better when the Mocs get to 4 points (.500)...

2014 at Central Michigan 16-20 L
2010 at #5 JSU 17-21 L

2013 Citadel 28-24 W
2009 WCU 24-20 W

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Ones like the 2010 App game or the 2011 Citadel game have to be particularly frustrating...Blowing huge leads in both games!

soconjohn22
September 8th, 2014, 07:29 PM
you could also throw in there the 2000 Furman game!

walliver
September 8th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Power Poll:
1) FU - not that impressive, but only real D-1 victory so far
2) Chattanooga - at least they lost to decent teams
... The next four could be easily rearranged, none have a win of any importance (not that Chattanooga does, but they get the best loser award)...
3) Wofford - homer pick, no wins, only 1 loss
4) Samford - no wins, only 1 loss
5) Citadel - 0-2
6) Western Carolina - beat a D2
... The next two could easily be flipped also ...
7) VMI 0-2
8) Mercer - hasn't beaten a scholarship FCS team ever, they need to win a game to move up (they will)

Stillman @ Samford - we know little about Samford so far, and after this game we will know little more - Samford by 28
Davidson @ VMI - the keydets beat a pick-up team and get credit for a D-1 win, but they won't move up in my poll.
Catawba @ WCU - Kitties win by 24, but won't move up in my poll.
Chatty at Austin Peay - per Huesman form, the mocs will win handily win against a lesser opponent and get a real D-I win to keep them in second, 49-10. Chattown returns to predict the Mocs run the table.
Mercer at Stetson - Bears win by 30 over Deland Junior High, but no-one outside of Macon cares
FU at PC - Should be a blow-out, but the ho's will put up a good effort and keep the game closer than the horsies would like - an upset is possible but not likely. FU 28-17
North Greenville at Wofford - Terriers usually don't open up the offense until mid-season, so this will be closer than many expect and T-Dogs win by 14

Barring a giant upset, I suspect next week's power poll will be the same as this week.

centennial
September 8th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Sagarin Ratings-
RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | DIMIN_CURVE | PREDICTOR | PURE_ELO
122 Chattanooga AA = 59.14 0 2 61.26( 116) 0 0 | 0 0 | 59.93 127 | 62.25 104 | 57.33 137
129 Wofford AA = 58.05 0 1 77.63( 17) 0 0 | 0 0 | 63.50 104 | 50.87 170 | 61.31 114
135 Furman AA = 57.15 2 0 40.56( 225) 0 0 | 0 0 | 58.38 137 | 54.79 149 | 60.85 118
136 Samford AA = 57.06 0 1 85.85( 3) 0 0 | 0 1 | 60.36 124 | 53.10 156 | 59.97 125
159 Western Carolina AA = 52.56 1 1 66.88( 70) 0 0 | 0 0 | 59.60 131 | 45.06 194 | 55.17 149
206 The Citadel AA = 43.93 0 2 73.96( 30) 0 0 | 0 1 | 45.29 212 | 45.58 189 | 46.42 205
225 Mercer AA = 39.58 1 1 53.34( 173) 0 0 | 0 0 | 45.35 210 | 34.66 233 | 44.71 212
238 VMI AA = 34.90 0 2 60.34( 122) 0 0 | 0 0 | 41.36 227 | 31.74 240 | 38.95 234
​Massey

Overall (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Home (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Away (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Conference (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Rank
Team
Record
PF
PA
Record
PF
PA
Record
PF
PA
Record
PF
PA

Chattanooga (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7809&s=262657)
0-20.000
0-10.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

Furman (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2800&s=262657)
2-01.000
1-01.000
1-01.000
1-01.000

Samford (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6987&s=262657)
0-10.000
0-00.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

Citadel (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1545&s=262657)
0-20.000
0-10.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

Wofford (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9126&s=262657)
0-10.000
0-00.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

W Carolina (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8742&s=262657)
1-10.500
1-01.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

VMI (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8450&s=262657)
0-20.000
0-00.000
0-20.000
0-00.000

Mercer (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4649&s=262657)
1-10.500
1-10.500
0-00.000
0-10.000

dungeonjoe
September 8th, 2014, 08:45 PM
1. Mercer: showed promise for life in the SoCon
2. The Citadel: showed promise with several drives against FSU
3. Western Carolina rolling along, building all the while
4. Chattanooga found a way to keep it close with limited offensive output
5. Furman: There is life after Hannon, but the offense needs a pacemaker
6.VMI got a check
7/8 Wofford and Samford no play, no power

Upcoming predictions
Samford
VMI
Western
Chatty
Mercer
Furman
Wofford

helpful hint to the Furman faithful going to the PC game... If it is over 85 degrees and sunny at kickoff plan on wearing a hat and sunscreen and smuggle in water. When I went a couple of years ago, they gave out of water at the concession stand and there is no relief from the sun on that side of the stadium.

dungeonjoe
September 8th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Sagarin Ratings-
RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | DIMIN_CURVE | PREDICTOR | PURE_ELO
122 Chattanooga AA = 59.14 0 2 61.26( 116) 0 0 | 0 0 | 59.93 127 | 62.25 104 | 57.33 137
129 Wofford AA = 58.05 0 1 77.63( 17) 0 0 | 0 0 | 63.50 104 | 50.87 170 | 61.31 114
135 Furman AA = 57.15 2 0 40.56( 225) 0 0 | 0 0 | 58.38 137 | 54.79 149 | 60.85 118
136 Samford AA = 57.06 0 1 85.85( 3) 0 0 | 0 1 | 60.36 124 | 53.10 156 | 59.97 125
159 Western Carolina AA = 52.56 1 1 66.88( 70) 0 0 | 0 0 | 59.60 131 | 45.06 194 | 55.17 149
206 The Citadel AA = 43.93 0 2 73.96( 30) 0 0 | 0 1 | 45.29 212 | 45.58 189 | 46.42 205
225 Mercer AA = 39.58 1 1 53.34( 173) 0 0 | 0 0 | 45.35 210 | 34.66 233 | 44.71 212
238 VMI AA = 34.90 0 2 60.34( 122) 0 0 | 0 0 | 41.36 227 | 31.74 240 | 38.95 234
​Massey

Overall (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Home (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Away (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Conference (http://www.masseyratings.com/undefined)

Rank
Team
Record
PF
PA
Record
PF
PA
Record
PF
PA
Record
PF
PA

Chattanooga (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7809&s=262657)
0-20.000
0-10.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

Furman (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2800&s=262657)
2-01.000
1-01.000
1-01.000
1-01.000

Samford (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6987&s=262657)
0-10.000
0-00.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

Citadel (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1545&s=262657)
0-20.000
0-10.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

Wofford (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9126&s=262657)
0-10.000
0-00.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

W Carolina (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8742&s=262657)
1-10.500
1-01.000
0-10.000
0-00.000

VMI (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8450&s=262657)
0-20.000
0-00.000
0-20.000
0-00.000

Mercer (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4649&s=262657)
1-10.500
1-10.500
0-00.000
0-10.000

I am not sure what "PURE_ELO" is, but it sounds like a best of album of a 70/80s rock group. So all I can say is Don't Bring Me Down.

centennial
September 8th, 2014, 08:57 PM
I am not sure what "PURE_ELO" is, but it sounds like a best of album of a 70/80s rock group. So all I can say is Don't Bring Me Down.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jerry-palm/24111695/sagarin-changes-formula-finally-removes-margin-of-victory

In the 2001 season of the BCS, half of the eight computers used at that time considered margin of victory in their calculations, and the other half did not. That year, human poll No. 2 Oregon (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/OREG/oregon-ducks) did not make the BCS title game due in large part to the fact that the MOV computers ranked the Ducks seventh, while the non-MOV versions ranked them third.PROJECTED BCS STANDINGSPalm: Florida State jumps to No. 2 ahead of Oregon (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/bcs)There were other problems too, but that was the one that got the attention of the BCS poobahs, who then decreed something like, "let margin of victory be stricken from all notebooks and tablets, stricken from all obscure algorithms of college football...so let it be written, so let it be done."
The result is that since 2002, margin of victory has not been a factor in the computer rankings used by the BCS. Two of the computer gurus dropped out instead of adjusting their formulas. Peter Wolfe said he changed his formula to remove MOV as a component. Jeff Sagarin added a new column to his ratings for BCS purposes called "Elo Chess," which he described by saying, "only winning and losing matters; the score margin is of no consequence." Or so we thought.
This week, a new column of data appeared called "Pure Elo." Pure Elo has a familiar description. It says, "only winning and losing matters; the score margin is of no consequence." Hmmm. Where have I seen that before? Meanwhile, "Elo Chess" has been renamed "Elo Score," which he says "applies ELO principles to the actual SCORES of the games and so it is now SCORE BASED. (emphasis his)" Let's be perfectly clear...it wasalways score based. The name of the heading and the description has been changed to protect the guilty.

UPDATE: Jeff Sagarin wrote to explain the new formulas. He said Pure Elo is "an improved version of Elo Chess" that he was working on in the offseason and uses in other sports. He also says Elo Score is not the same as Elo Chess, but some other version he's been using for a while in other sports. He also made a point to say that, "At no point in the past during the BCS standings period of the season, once the dictum was pronounced in 2002, have I used scores in my official BCS standings report."The results of the new formulas don't seem to bear that out, at least not yet (Sagarin assures me they eventually will), but that's all we have to go on, so we are left to draw our own confusion.
Where the difference is most obvious is where FCS schools are rated in the new system. Last week, Elo Chess had two FCS teams in the top 60. The top rated among them was Eastern Illinois at 38. Those facts are still true of Elo Score this week, but the Panthers are 24th in Pure Elo, which makes them the lowest rated of the seven FCS schools in the Pure Elo top 25. Bethune-Cookman ranks fourth. Fourth!!
Now, it doesn't matter that Bethune-Cookman is fourth because FCS schools get pulled out and FBS teams slotted up for BCS purposes, but what this illustrates is that the Pure Elo formula is very different than the one that has been used for the last 11 years by the BCS. Meanwhile, Elo Chess/Elo Score looks very similar to what it has always looked like. Only now, Sagarin admits that MOV was a factor in those ratings. Well, not in so many words.
BOWL PROJECTIONSPalm: UCF and Missouri to Sugar; FSU to Orange (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions)Is this definitive proof? No, my evidence is anecdotal. Only by examining the formulas can we prove that definitively, just like we need the formula to prove that Richard Billingsley's ratings are influenced by the previous season. That is a factor the BCS honchos don't want considered either. I have personally found an error or two in Wes Colley's calculations over the years also, which I can do because thankfully, Colley's formula is open and accountable. That makes three of the six ranking systems that have had issues. That we know of.
The BCS has always had its head buried in the sand regarding the computer formulas. They never validated the results, and never validated that the programs were doing what they were told they were doing. They prefer the Sargeant Shultz approach. "I KNOW NOTHINK!" They just keep telling us they trust the programmers and that they are, "the best in the business," which is another claim they have no way of verifying.
We can only hope they did a better job vetting the new selection committee than they did their computer formulas.

dungeonjoe
September 8th, 2014, 09:34 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jerry-palm/24111695/sagarin-changes-formula-finally-removes-margin-of-victory
So ELO isn't Electric Light Orchestra? xrotatehx

BearDownMU
September 8th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Power Poll:
1) FU - not that impressive, but only real D-1 victory so far
2) Chattanooga - at least they lost to decent teams
... The next four could be easily rearranged, none have a win of any importance (not that Chattanooga does, but they get the best loser award)...
3) Wofford - homer pick, no wins, only 1 loss
4) Samford - no wins, only 1 loss
5) Citadel - 0-2
6) Western Carolina - beat a D2
... The next two could easily be flipped also ...
7) VMI 0-2
8) Mercer - hasn't beaten a scholarship FCS team ever, they need to win a game to move up (they will)

Stillman @ Samford - we know little about Samford so far, and after this game we will know little more - Samford by 28
Davidson @ VMI - the keydets beat a pick-up team and get credit for a D-1 win, but they won't move up in my poll.
Catawba @ WCU - Kitties win by 24, but won't move up in my poll.
Chatty at Austin Peay - per Huesman form, the mocs will win handily win against a lesser opponent and get a real D-I win to keep them in second, 49-10. Chattown returns to predict the Mocs run the table.
Mercer at Stetson - Bears win by 30 over Deland Junior High, but no-one outside of Macon cares
FU at PC - Should be a blow-out, but the ho's will put up a good effort and keep the game closer than the horsies would like - an upset is possible but not likely. FU 28-17
North Greenville at Wofford - Terriers usually don't open up the offense until mid-season, so this will be closer than many expect and T-Dogs win by 14

Barring a giant upset, I suspect next week's power poll will be the same as this week.

We have plenty of player's families that live outside of Macon... Jerk....

;)

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM
We have plenty of player's families that live outside of Macon... Jerk....

;)

Self-deprecating humor disguised as a full-on rebuttal assault. That's a very high degree of difficulty BearDownMU! I give it a 5.7 - .2 deduction for adding the 'winky waiver.' Those that don't see the beauty of this construct don't merit the 'explanation' you provided. Well done though my friend. Well done!

BearDownMU
September 8th, 2014, 10:52 PM
I only added the winky waiver because I'm new here and don't want to develop a reputation. Yet.

woffordgrad94
September 8th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Any time I can work an iconic 80's music video or movie quote with semi-relevance into a post, I am DEFINITELY having fun...cuz, y'know...

I love your taste in music, FUBeAR. The 80s are the greatest! I think we'd get along great...maybe one day I'll buy you a beer.

FUBeAR
September 9th, 2014, 12:56 AM
I love your taste in music, FUBeAR. The 80s are the greatest! I think we'd get along great...maybe one day I'll buy you a beer.

Thanks! - November 22 one day. I'll, most likely, be in your neighborhood & thirsty several hours before 1:30 PM..IF the WallopedBears are still able to field a team through the end of this season.

OL FU
September 9th, 2014, 06:27 AM

Ugh, the 80s. The decade of death for popular music:p

The only good thing about the 80s was Furman Footballxnodx but I don't think I have to tell you thatxsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp2
September 9th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Ugh, the 80s. The decade of death for popular music:p

The only good thing about the 80s was Furman Footballxnodx but I don't think I have to tell you thatxsmiley_wix

Agreed. Except for the whole Vermin thing.

FUGameBreaker
September 9th, 2014, 07:50 AM
To little terrier fans, Wofford plays only 11 games and two are against UVA-Wise and North Greenville, WTF? Could your OOC schedule be any more pathetic?

FUGameBreaker
September 9th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Furman will get better and better every week. Defense is solid and we will slowly open up the offense more and more. We will beat PC, remain undefeated and defending SoCon champs and move on to the next game @SC State, whoop there it is!

longtimemocfan
September 9th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Let me clean that up a little bit...because when you first read it, it reads like the Mocs last 10 losses have been by 3 points or less. What it should be (and it is no less depressing) is that the last 10 times the Mocs have played in a game decided by 3 points or less, they have lost.

2014 #9 JSU 23-26 L
2013 at Samford 14-17 L
2013 at #15 GSU 21-23 L
2012 at #13 Wofford 13-16 OT L
2012 at #24 JSU 24-27 L
2011 at #3 ASU 12-14 L*
2011 Citadel 27-28 L*
2011 at #1 GSU 27-28 L*
2011 Wofford 27-28 L
2010 #3 ASU 41-42 L
2009 Citadel 31-28 W

You can also throw in this one...
2012 #2 GSU 31-39 3OT

*That might be the most heartbreaking stretch of football in my life...losing by a total of 4 points, including the #1 and #3 ranked teams on the road.

Apparently it starts getting better when the Mocs get to 4 points (.500)...

2014 at Central Michigan 16-20 L
2010 at #5 JSU 17-21 L

2013 Citadel 28-24 W
2009 WCU 24-20 W

That's the way I took it C-Mocs.. Currently we are at 4 straight losses going back to last season.

walliver
September 9th, 2014, 09:32 AM
We're up to 17 pages on a thread about a week where there is not a single game of any major interest, and where there is near unanimity about this weeks picks.

OL FU
September 9th, 2014, 09:34 AM
We're up to 17 pages on a thread about a week where there is not a single game of any major interest, and where there is near unanimity about this weeks picks.

I am very interested (which is kinda sad when you think about it)

SCPALADIN
September 9th, 2014, 09:43 AM
helpful hint to the Furman faithful going to the PC game... If it is over 85 degrees and sunny at kickoff plan on wearing a hat and sunscreen and smuggle in water. When I went a couple of years ago, they gave out of water at the concession stand and there is no relief from the sun on that side of the stadium.

Game is at 7:00. We had the "pleasure" of playing in Clinnon in 2012...afternoon game in September. Weather was beautiful despite the sun being directly in our faces the entire game.

SCPALADIN
September 9th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Amazing. How is it that with the departure of App, GSU, and fElon there are more thread hijackings?? xcrazyx

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2014, 10:50 AM
To little terrier fans, Wofford plays only 11 games and two are against UVA-Wise and North Greenville, WTF? Could your OOC schedule be any more pathetic?

We scheduled Jacksonville at home for a typical 10 D1 team schedule but they canceled

soconjohn22
September 9th, 2014, 11:20 AM
The menacing Dolphins canceled...You don't say...lol

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Wofford's schedule is not necessarily inconsistent with their history. Their football schedules online go back to 2007, and they schedule 11 games pretty much every year. In all but maybe two of those years, Wofford schedules a sub-DI (maybe even a sub-DII) program like Lincoln, Union, or UVA-Wise.

I'm not sure why they do it. I'm sure there's a reason. I know it has hurt them come playoff selection time to get to the magical 7 DI wins when you only play 10 DI teams and most everyone else plays 12.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2014, 12:37 PM
I have no idea why Jacksonville backed out on us like a little bitch this season and left us having to schedule Virginia-Wise. You'll have to ask them that. As a general rule though, I really sense that we have all kinds of trouble scheduling non-conference FCS games for whatever reason. I think that may be a big reason why we only play 11 total games and also why Sub-D1's are often present on the schedule. My guess would be that a lot of FCS schools don't want to come to Gibbs because Wofford is so small and because of its perceived lack of game atmosphere. And As far as the lack of atmosphere goes, I would say Wofford fans have no one but themselves to blame for that. But anyway, when FCS schools refuse home and homes with us, we get a D-2 to come to Gibbs so we won't have to play 7 road games. That would be my guess as to what part of the problem may be. Of course I don't know any of this for certain. I do know it sucks. I have reached out to Wofford about scheduling, but it has fallen on deaf ears.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I have no idea why Jacksonville backed out on us like a little bitch this season and left us having to schedule Virginia-Wise. You'll have to ask them that. As a general rule though, I really sense that we have all kinds of trouble scheduling non-conference FCS games for whatever reason. I think that may be a big reason why we only play 11 total games and also why Sub-D1's are often present on the schedule. My guess would be that a lot of FCS schools don't want to come to Gibbs because Wofford is so small and because of its perceived lack of game atmosphere. And As far as the lack of atmosphere goes, I would say Wofford fans have no one but themselves to blame for that. But anyway, when FCS schools refuse home and homes with us, we get a D-2 to come to Gibbs so we won't have to play 7 road games. That would be my guess as to what part of the problem may be. Of course I don't know any of this for certain. I do know it sucks. I have reached out to Wofford about scheduling, but it has fallen on deaf ears.

I would be interested to know. I think the SoCon has a respectable relationship with the Big South, and given the fact that both conferences basically sit on the same footprint, scheduling those games makes a lot of sense. As much as I dislike seeing PC on the schedule every single season, I appreciate that Furman is trying to schedule D1 opponents that won't break the bank to play.

Seems like they could routinely schedule one of the other four South Carolina schools (Coastal, CSU, SCSU, or PC) just about every season. Those games are not great matchups most years, but they are good for the fans and the budget.

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I don't know why the nice annual rivalry we once had with SC State ended. I wish that it could be brought back. And now that you mentioned PC, the Blue Hose was one of Wofford's main rivals in the pre -D1 days. I have heard Wofford doesn't like playing them every year now, even though PC would like that. I think Wofford stupidly likes to turn their nose up at PC. Why? Hell, it's better than playing North Greenville, Lincoln, Viginia-Wise, etc. and we used to play Charleston Southern about every year and that inexplicably went away too. Coastal, whom we have played before, would be a great opponent most years. At least we still have Gardner -Webb...

kdinva
September 9th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Stillman @ Samford - 55-7
Davidson @ VMI - 54-14 (offense finishes drives like they did vs. Bucknell)
Catawba @ W Carolina - 48-20
UTC @ Austin Peay - 38-10
Mercer @ Stetson - 52-13
Furman @ Presbyterian - 33-14
N Greenville @ Wofford - 38-20

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2014, 03:11 PM
The menacing Dolphins canceled...You don't say...lol

I can't really tell the tone of this comment, but it's a matter of public record that they were part of our initial schedule when it was announced, and then subsequently pulled out before the Spring semester was even out

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Wofford's schedule is not necessarily inconsistent with their history. Their football schedules online go back to 2007, and they schedule 11 games pretty much every year. In all but maybe two of those years, Wofford schedules a sub-DI (maybe even a sub-DII) program like Lincoln, Union, or UVA-Wise.

I'm not sure why they do it. I'm sure there's a reason. I know it has hurt them come playoff selection time to get to the magical 7 DI wins when you only play 10 DI teams and most everyone else plays 12.

It has never hurt Wofford with the playoff selection committee, ever.

With the exception of the 2002 squad (which, I'm pretty sure had 9 D1 wins, if not 8, and 12 D1 games) all but one Wofford team since 2002 which played a <D1 team and had 7 D1 wins (basically 8-3 record) has made the playoffs. And they weren't even a "last team in" team either. The only exception to this "rule" was the 2004 team which went 8-3, but with 2 bad losses (an ass-kicking to GSU on the road, and an ass-kicking to ASU who was only like 6-5 that year), but if memory serves they played a full division one schedule that year.

Not to mention the dynamics are different now than they were then. For one, Wofford's proven to be more than a flash in the pan when it comes to consistency and the playoff field is 50% bigger.

Also, it's not like FCS teams regularly play 12 games; heck, this year is the first time we have two-consecutive potential 12 game seasons. Wofford doesn't play 12 games because the last time they did (2002) Ayers said he would rather have an extra week of preparation than another game.

But as for Wofford playing the one <D1 game, it demonstrably hasn't effected them since our rise to consistency in 2007. In 2012, I remember everyone was saying we wouldn't make the playoffs at all because of that game, which was a fabricated standard IMO because we had the minimum requirement of 7 D1 wins. In reality, we ended up not only making it, but hosting a home game. We weren't just in, we were practically a top-10 seed.

The 7 D1 win requirement isn't so much a litmus test as it is a disqualifier. If you don't have it, you're out, if you do, you're in. The committee has pretty much shown as much

AshevilleApp2
September 9th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Amazing. How is it that with the departure of App, GSU, and fElon there are more thread hijackings?? xcrazyx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

xbowxxbowx

xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Really, Wofford hasn't scheduled well since something like 2006. We played Coastal that year, and lost. Even then, it seems that our scheduling has been intentionally vanilla, because I'm willing to bet we scheduled them before they had made a name for themselves. The same goes for SC state.

I think the athletic department understands what we need to go for as a football program, and that's why they scheduled Jacksonville. Next year, we're compensating for the lost revenue I guess by playing Idaho and Clemson. We may just beat Idaho. I've heard rumors of signing a deal with Lafayette in the future, which would be good. I'd also imagine we'd continue our rotation of playing a Big South School of GWU/CSU/PC/ or even CCU. Heck, SC State would be good.

I wish our schedule would look more like Furman's. Either way, I think next year we're either going to play an all-D1 schedule or just one sub-D1. With our 2 FBS games and ETSU rounding off a schedule of 8 conference games, there's nothing wrong with an easy gimme game

chattanoogamocs
September 9th, 2014, 03:46 PM

Because most of the matchups are horrible and one-sided...who is really wants to strike up a conversation about Chattanooga at Austin Peay? Outside of desperately wanting a win for the Mocs, I have no interest in talking about Austin Peay. I just hope they fixed the gigantic sinkhole in their endzone. ;)

Like I said earlier, when the marquee game is Furman and Presbyterian...you know it is a bad schedule week.

- - - Updated - - -

Horror vacui!

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2014, 04:44 PM
There is a pinup 2015 schedule on the wall at a local hot dog place in Spartanburg that has Jacksonville on it. I 'me pretty sure it's still there. On my next day off I'll take a picture of it and post it to this board, just to bust the balls of anyone who might think the Dolphins really weren't part of the original 2014 schedule.

longtimemocfan
September 9th, 2014, 06:58 PM

Pretty good considering App and GSU posters use to dominate most of the threads involving conference topics.

chattanoogamocs
September 9th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Pretty good considering App and GSU posters use to dominate most of the threads involving conference topics.

Honestly, I thought I would miss them more than I do...except for checking their scores on Saturday to see if they won or lost, I don't really care. I think the only thing I miss about them is that they were both supposed to play at Chattanooga this year and those would have been some great games with high attendance (the other GSU was also supposed to come to Chattanooga...but after the ass kicking they got in Atlanta last year, we all knew that wasn't going to happen).

As for Elon, this is the first time I have even thought about them since they left...I have no idea if they have won or lost their game(s) so far this year or who they have played. It was almost like they were never here.

walliver
September 9th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Wofford had a long series with CSU and a recent 4 game series with PC. We won all of them so maybe that is why both series were cancelled ;), although in reality, I doubt it. We had a home-and-home series with CCU but cancelled the game in Conway to play a money game. This was about the time that SoCon teams soured on CCU due to "recruiting issues". Wofford administration was actually quite excited about a home-and-home series with CCU, balancing a game in Charleston with Citadel against a game at Myrtle Beach in opposite years (with alumni golf tournaments and other fund-raising activities). I have never heard the details, but apparently CCU's rapid rise to the SoCon derailed.

I know many people in the college's administration, and most are unhappy with this year's schedule (Mercer will probably be the second best team to visit Gibbs this year - no joke). With attendance around 8K a game, long-distance road trips aren't financially feasible. And there are teams that will not play us due to the triple option. I don't know why we don't play CSU, PC and SC State (we haven't lost to any of them in the last decade).

Also, Mike Ayers has been quite adamant against playing a 12 game schedule, and it is unlikely we will play one in the near future. He feels that is just too many regular season games.

walliver
September 9th, 2014, 08:59 PM
As for Elon, this is the first time I have even thought about them since they left...I have no idea if they have won or lost their game(s) so far this year or who they have played. It was almost like they were never here.

Elon is one of those schools that should have fit, but never did.

I don't think Elon ever developed a rivalry of any sort in the conference.

chattanoogamocs
September 9th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Elon is one of those schools that should have fit, but never did.

I don't think Elon ever developed a rivalry of any sort in the conference.

I don't think they fit because they didn't have any interest in fitting. They never had any long term interests in the conference...I think the only reason they joined was because they thought it was better than the Big South. Ironically, I think moving to the CAA was a great move for them because with their alums and fan base, they really are aligned more toward the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast than the South (especially since the center of the conference is pushing more South and West).

I honestly harbor them no ill will because I would have to actually care before I could have any resentment. :) They seem to be happy, bully for them. One less 8 hour road trip for the Mocs.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Wofford had a long series with CSU and a recent 4 game series with PC. We won all of them so maybe that is why both series were cancelled ;), although in reality, I doubt it. We had a home-and-home series with CCU but cancelled the game in Conway to play a money game. This was about the time that SoCon teams soured on CCU due to "recruiting issues". Wofford administration was actually quite excited about a home-and-home series with CCU, balancing a game in Charleston with Citadel against a game at Myrtle Beach in opposite years (with alumni golf tournaments and other fund-raising activities). I have never heard the details, but apparently CCU's rapid rise to the SoCon derailed.

I know many people in the college's administration, and most are unhappy with this year's schedule (Mercer will probably be the second best team to visit Gibbs this year - no joke). With attendance around 8K a game, long-distance road trips aren't financially feasible. And there are teams that will not play us due to the triple option. I don't know why we don't play CSU, PC and SC State (we haven't lost to any of them in the last decade).

Also, Mike Ayers has been quite adamant against playing a 12 game schedule, and it is unlikely we will play one in the near future. He feels that is just too many regular season games.

I imagine it is a conscious decision by Wofford. Furman has played PC every year but two since 2007. Furman is 43-11 all time against the Hose, and hasn't lost to them in 35 years.

As much as I'd like to see a nice mix of OOC games, I am glad the university presses for an all D1 matchup. Someone may correct me, but I think that last non-D1 school Furman played was Mars Hill in 2008. One gets tired of seeing the same school on the slate every year, but I understand why they do it.

PaladinNation
September 10th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I imagine it is a conscious decision by Wofford. Furman has played PC every year but two since 2007. Furman is 43-11 all time against the Hose, and hasn't lost to them in 35 years.

As much as I'd like to see a nice mix of OOC games, I am glad the university presses for an all D1 matchup. Someone may correct me, but I think that last non-D1 school Furman played was Mars Hill in 2008. One gets tired of seeing the same school on the slate every year, but I understand why they do it.

Just checked the record books… your right Marsh Hill in 2008, West Georgia in 2006.

BearDownMU
September 10th, 2014, 11:24 AM
What are we going to do with the SoCon Week 4 Power Rankings come out? Because I will want this thread to go to infinity.

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2014, 11:47 AM
to infinity.

...and beyond!

FUGameBreaker
September 10th, 2014, 12:23 PM
With the little terriers weak schedule they will have to go 7-1 against FCS teams just to get in the playoffs unless somehow they win the league at 5-2 in SoCon play. No way can you put them in the playoffs at 8-3 with 2 sorry lower division wins being on their resume, big failure by your administration.

FUGameBreaker
September 10th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Basically if any team loses this week in the SoCon they deserve to be at the bottom of the rankings, period! So just don't lose and all will be fine xthumbsupx

Smitty
September 10th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Basically if any team loses this week in the SoCon they deserve to be at the bottom of the rankings, period! So just don't lose and all will be fine xthumbsupx

Or if they score more than 30 points. (of course since I have said that WCU will let Catawba score 32 points or something...)

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Just checked the record books… your right Marsh Hill in 2008, West Georgia in 2006.

I think Mars Hill was the game RJ Webb injured his knee in.

I could probably list all of the star Furman players lost for the year in early season contests against OOC teams, but I'd probably get depressed again.

walliver
September 10th, 2014, 01:12 PM
What are we going to do with the SoCon Week 4 Power Rankings come out? Because I will want this thread to go to infinity.

There will be a lot to discuss next week. Is Stillman better than Stetson? How do Catawba and North Greenville compare? Would Presbyterian beat Austin Peay? Should Davidson count as a D-I win?

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2014, 01:18 PM
There will be a lot to discuss next week. Is Stillman better than Stetson? How do Catawba and North Greenville compare? Would Presbyterian beat Austin Peay? Should Davidson count as a D-I win?

Dangit walliver - how could you ignore the most important question of all: How do each of those teams compare to Reinhardt?

walliver
September 10th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Dangit walliver - how could you ignore the most important question of all: How do each of those teams compare to Reinhardt?

That will get its own thread.

chattanoogamocs
September 10th, 2014, 02:01 PM

On a side note, I guess Lindsey Wilson is also an NAIA championship contender, Reinhardt only beat them by 4 points...52-48. :)

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I once knew a girl named Lindsey Wilson.

OL FU
September 10th, 2014, 02:35 PM

Hope it wasn't the same one I knewxeyebrowx

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2014, 02:37 PM
With the little terriers weak schedule they will have to go 7-1 against FCS teams just to get in the playoffs unless somehow they win the league at 5-2 in SoCon play. No way can you put them in the playoffs at 8-3 with 2 sorry lower division wins being on their resume, big failure by your administration.

Look at this newb

CID1990
September 10th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I think Mars Hill was the game RJ Webb injured his knee in.

I could probably list all of the star Furman players lost for the year in early season contests against OOC teams, but I'd probably get depressed again.

Bobby Lamb always recruited tougher players. Not those china dolls you guys have now

BearDownMU
September 10th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Lindsay Wilson was ranked #17 in the pre-season NAIA Top 25.

That's impressive for one chick.

OL FU
September 10th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Lindsay Wilson was ranked #17 in the pre-season NAIA Top 25.

That's impressive for one chick.

Based on my recollection, I would put her at a solid 9xnodx

FUGameBreaker
September 10th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Look at this newb

Says the little terrier fan who's team shot themselves in the foot with their pathetic little terrier schedule, better luck next year little terrier fan

dungeonjoe
September 10th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Says the little terrier fan who's team shot themselves in the foot with their pathetic little terrier schedule, better luck next year little terrier fan
Some Furman fans idolize the past and others are prophets who know how 2014 turns out...how neat is that!

OrangeAndBlack
September 10th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Power Ranks Week 3:

1. Furman
2. Chattanooga
3. Wofford
4. Samford
5. Western Carolina
6. The Citadel
7. Mercer
8. VMI

It was an amazing game to see live (Furman @ Mercer), and MU carried a lead in the 3rd quarter. That pick-6 in the 4th quarter was brutal, but you have to tip your cap to Furman on the win.

Chattanooga still has a lot of fight even though they get a lot of grief on here for the losses. To lose like that with virtually no offense still says a lot about their potential.

The Citadel having players suspended won't help them.

VMI didn't change my opinion of them.

The SoCon wins every game this week coming up though!

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Power Ranks Week 3:

1. Furman
2. Chattanooga
3. Wofford
4. Samford
5. Western Carolina
6. The Citadel
7. Mercer
8. VMI

It was an amazing game to see live (Furman @ Mercer), and MU carried a lead in the 3rd quarter. That pick-6 in the 4th quarter was brutal, but you have to tip your cap to Furman on the win.

Chattanooga still has a lot of fight even though they get a lot of grief on here for the losses. To lose like that with virtually no offense still says a lot about their potential.

The Citadel having players suspended won't help them.

VMI didn't change my opinion of them.

The SoCon wins every game this week coming up though!

I thought the pick six was the back breaker. To Mercer's credit, they wouldn't let Furman land they haymaker on the next offensive series. A touchdown there would have made it 32-14.

Wilkins is a heckuva athlete. That was his third defensive touchdown of his career, and the second pick six. He is a handful.

OrangeAndBlack
September 11th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I thought the pick six was the back breaker. To Mercer's credit, they wouldn't let Furman land they haymaker on the next offensive series. A touchdown there would have made it 32-14.

Wilkins is a heckuva athlete. That was his third defensive touchdown of his career, and the second pick six. He is a handful.

It was an amazing play by him, and you could feel the energy get sucked out of the stadium at that moment. I also forgot to mention the Furman kicker. I was impressed. He can clearly win you some games. That 50-yard FG he made could also be argued as the play of the game. Without that Mercer gets the ball near midfield only down 2, but instead Furman gained control and the rest is history.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2014, 07:22 AM
It was an amazing play by him, and you could feel the energy get sucked out of the stadium at that moment. I also forgot to mention the Furman kicker. I was impressed. He can clearly win you some games. That 50-yard FG he made could also be argued as the play of the game. Without that Mercer gets the ball near midfield only down 2, but instead Furman gained control and the rest is history.

Truly. Furman's defense had some mistakes in that game (broken coverage on the touchdown play, giving up on a fumbled snap that turned into a big gain, facemask on a tackle for loss that set up Mercer's last score). Still, you knew at some point they were going to make some plays.

Some lampoon giving up 20 points to Mercer as a discredit to Furman's defense. Mercer has a good offense. It has a lot of wrinkles, a lot of speed, and some legitimate playmakers. Furman has surrendered a total of 23 points in two FCS contests, and is still playing without the SoCon's leading tackler and All Conference MLB Carl Rider. I imagine that group will continue to be a good one. They are stingy and, as you saw on Saturday, will create scoring chances.

Hollingsworth at K is certainly a weapon. The kid looks about 140 lbs soaking wet, but man he's got a leg. That was a real question mark going into the season as Furman just graduated an All American kicker in Ray Early. As you noticed from the game the other night, Bruce Fowler has no problems at all laying up for 3 points and letting his defense work. Usually the offense will come along over the course of the game. Saturday night they just really struggled.

Hollingsworth is notable in that he was offered by Mercer. Mercer also has a safety in this year's recruiting class that was offered by Furman. I think those are probably the first two recruits in a long line that will be in stiff competition between those two schools.

FUGameBreaker
September 11th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Some Furman fans idolize the past and others are prophets who know how 2014 turns out...how neat is that!

Yes little terrier fan I made a prediction, how bizarre is that in the world of sports. Its pretty much a good solid bet to say that you are not doing yourself any favors, you have an opportunity to schedule 12 games yet you come up with 11 games and 2 of which are lower division teams, that is extremely poor schedule management.

woffordgrad94
September 11th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Yes little terrier fan I made a prediction, how bizarre is that in the world of sports. Its pretty much a good solid bet to say that you are not doing yourself any favors, you have an opportunity to schedule 12 games yet you come up with 11 games and 2 of which are lower division teams, that is extremely poor schedule management.

As they say at Furman, FU. Mind your own damned business. I know your type, PUNK. Big in front of a keyboard, but a straight up pussy in real life. To all other posters, sorry for the language, but it's the only way to get you point across to some people. This idiot actually seems to think that we, the fans, made our schedule up. He's just too damned stupid to realize he's preaching to the choir here. Furman is a good reputable school with high standards.How did this PUNK get in there? Oh, I get it now. His daddy went to Furman and he's a huge disappointment to his pop because he can't get in there.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2014, 03:08 PM
As they say at Furman, FU. Mind your own damned business. I know your type, PUNK. Big in front of a keyboard, but a straight up pussy in real life. To all other posters, sorry for the language, but it's the only way to get you point across to some people. This idiot actually seems to think that we, the fans, made our schedule up. He's just too damned stupid to realize he's preaching to the choir here. Furman is a good reputable school with high standards.How did this PUNK get in there? Oh, I get it now. His daddy went to Furman and he's a huge disappointment to his pop because he can't get in there.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain.

woffordgrad94
September 11th, 2014, 03:11 PM
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain.
You are right, man. Rep given. I have to ignore the dumb ones, hard as it might be. I guess he is the FU Chattown.

- - - Updated - - -

OL FU
September 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM

That's why I quit watching politicians.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Look at this newb

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2014, 03:24 PM

Look at this newb

FUGameBreaker
September 11th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Its so funny to see the little terrier fans get their panties in a bunch over the fact that someone is pointing out that their littler terrier schedule is a joke! xlolxxrotatehxxlolx Carry on little terrier fans you guys amuse me!

dungeonjoe
September 11th, 2014, 05:25 PM
That's why I quit watching politicians.
And idiots on message boards.....

FUGameBreaker
September 11th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Hey littler terrier fans if you want to try and play a high school like schedule like you are doing, against other little teams that don't have any band or any fans like yourselves then I am sure we can find a spot for you in the SC 3A or 2A ranks.

citdog
September 11th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Hey littler terrier fans if you want to try and play a high school like schedule like you are doing, against other little teams that don't have any band or any fans like yourselves then I am sure we can find a spot for you in the SC 3A or 2A ranks.

furman sucks

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2014, 07:38 PM
furman sucks

I would be interested to know how many of your 18k posts are "furman sucks."

citdog
September 11th, 2014, 08:39 PM

That's what was written on that tablet that Moses dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YX-gqRdK_8

FUGameBreaker
September 11th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Which one of you little terrier fans is Cord Phillips?

chattanoogamocs
September 11th, 2014, 08:59 PM

17,500 of them.

walliver
September 11th, 2014, 10:19 PM
17,500 of them.

And the other 500 were about Vagina Military Institute.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Its so funny to see the little terrier fans get their panties in a bunch over the fact that someone is pointing out that their littler terrier schedule is a joke! xlolxxrotatehxxlolx Carry on little terrier fans you guys amuse me!

I don't really care

Like I seriously don't, I come on here to learn about other teams, and when I see posts like these all I can think of is the egotistical implications of what it signifies.

Also, your rep is gray, maybe you should try posting more than one post every time hailey's comet comes by?

OL FU
September 12th, 2014, 06:08 AM

It would be easier to count the ones that don't say Furman Sucks. On the other hand, it is nice to be loved.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2014, 06:46 AM
It would be easier to count the ones that don't say Furman Sucks. On the other hand, it is nice to be loved.

Like the Kardashians, regardless of what they are saying, at least they are talking about us.

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2014, 07:53 AM
I don't really care

Like I seriously don't, I come on here to learn about other teams, and when I see posts like these all I can think of is the egotistical implications of what it signifies.

Also, your rep is gray, maybe you should try posting more than one post every time hailey's comet comes by?

"egotistical implications of what it signifies"

It's me saying you littler terriers have a joke schedule and you probably screwed yourselves over with it, its the little terriers who had their ego hurt haha! And who gives two jacks about rep, seriously man xpeacex

FUGameBreaker
September 12th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Anyways, on to more pressing issues that don't include teams that count a grass hill as seats in their listed stadium capacity ie. the little terriers xcrazyx Time to go beat the blue hose!

Reign of Terrier
September 12th, 2014, 01:10 PM
"egotistical implications of what it signifies"

It's me saying you littler terriers have a joke schedule and you probably screwed yourselves over with it, its the little terriers who had their ego hurt haha! And who gives two jacks about rep, seriously man xpeacex

I mean, obviously you, because you gave it so xrotatehx

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, on to more pressing issues that don't include teams that count a grass hill as seats in their listed stadium capacity ie. the little terriers xcrazyx Time to go beat the blue hose!

I have a feeling this is a Georgia Southern fan in disguise

citdog
September 12th, 2014, 02:29 PM

You forgot the Wonders of Secession.

OL FU
September 12th, 2014, 02:42 PM
You forgot the Wonders of Secession.

oh yeah, we are now at 50/50.

Milktruck74
September 12th, 2014, 07:46 PM

Did she have most of her teeth in her pocket?

chattanoogamocs
September 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM
How is this even possible???

Kentucky Christian 31
Reinhardt 21

And next weekend doesn't get any easier when they host Faulkner and former Moc QB Terrell Robinson (who has accounted for over 1,000 yards of total offense in the last 2 games, with 13 TDs...10 pass, 3 run).

BearDownMU
September 14th, 2014, 03:45 PM
How is this even possible???

Kentucky Christian 31
Reinhardt 21

And next weekend doesn't get any easier when they host Faulkner and former Moc QB Terrell Robinson (who has accounted for over 1,000 yards of total offense in the last 2 games, with 13 TDs...10 pass, 3 run).

Because College Football often makes no sense.

chattanoogamocs
September 14th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Because College Football often makes no sense.

Or, it makes plenty of sense and Reinhardt isn't really that good (though the seem to have a pretty good offense).

Occam's Razor.

No need to bear down any further...just poking fun. :)

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I say the jury is still out on Mercer's defense