PDA

View Full Version : UMass @ UNH

ChickenMan
November 2nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
UMass @ UNH this week... a big game... but bigger for UNH. UNH has been unimpressive the past few weeks... but this is a chance to gain back some of their lost luster. I'd like to see UNH pull out a win... but early on I felt that UMass was the best team in the A10 and nothing has happened since to change my mind. UMass appears to be much more physical than UNH and I expect that difference will be very apparent on both sides of the ball.

The game can be seen on CSTV... 12:00

JMU2004
November 2nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
UMass is just as, if not more physical than JMU. UNH might be able to score some points, but that D will get crushed by Coen and Baylark.

UMass by at least 2 TDs

andy7171
November 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM
UNH has been in a free fall the last 3 weeks. UMass is an extremelywell rounded team. Very few flaws. I see UMass as the team to beat this year in the play-offs.

This game is huge for UNH.

Umass74
November 2nd, 2006, 09:51 AM
I've got my tickets.

Last year's game was one of the best I-AA games I've seen (even though UMass did not win). Santos did one of his amazin' moves to shake off Keron Williams and hit Ball for a TD. :bow:

That said, UMass rang up 528 yards of offense. We had a TD called back on penalty.

UMass is sending a 50-person pep band and there should be a big UMass contingent.

I was surprised to see how well JMU and Northestern did against the UNH offense. Last week does not count as there was no offense in all of New England do the monsoon.

I know UMass players and coaches have been waiting...

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 2nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
For UNH to win Ricky Santos will have to be outstanding.

He's done it before!!!

Should be a great crowd and game.

Maroon&White
November 2nd, 2006, 11:01 AM
There was more talk about this game a month ago then there is in the week before its played. I guess it has lost a lot of its luster on here.

UNHFootballAlum
November 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
In order for UNH to win they have to establish the run and play action passes that will give them big plays on offense. another area that they had shown in past years is the ability to run the option. They have abandoned it this year for the most part. This could be a good weapon for them as a change up.

It will be a very good game this weekend. If UNH stays away from turnovers they have a shot to win, otherwise I am afraid that they will not be able to keep up with the UMASS offense.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 2nd, 2006, 11:55 AM
Good luck to UNH, they need this game. Another loss and we could see them fall into oblivion.
As for a prediction...
My bet is Santos and Ball get the chemistry back. UMass can't keep up with the fireworks and looses in a shootout despite their D. UNH 38 UMass 30

Old Cage
November 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
NO FEES REQUIRED for net viewing according this article from the UNH site.

UNH/UMASS FOOTBALL GAME ON CSTV CAN BE SEEN LIVE FOR FREE VIA THE INTERNET
11/01/2006
DURHAM, N.H.—It was announced today by CSTV that football fans nationwide will have the ability to access the University of New Hampshire’s football game vs. the University of Massachusetts on Nov. 4 live via the internet for free.
The contest, which features the No. 9 ranked Wildcats vs. the No. 3 Minutemen, will be available live on CSTV and through live video streaming at www.cstvppv.com/football. While you will be asked to register, CSTV has waived all charges for this game

MinuteFan
November 2nd, 2006, 12:30 PM
This series has been very unpredictable recently.....often the underdog has proven to be the spoiler. But this year, I'm not sure there is a clear underdog. UMass needs patience in the run game. Stick with it (Like JMU did) and wear down a suspect UNH defense. Don't sell out on big blitzes to pressure Santos....he is too good at getting away and hitting a big play. And play aggressively, but under control. Can't afford to give extra yardage and downs via penalties to an offense like UNH. UMass is the better all-around team, but UNH has home field and more urgency on their side. This Minuteman fan will be there as always looking for a great game!

wildcat_fan
November 2nd, 2006, 12:40 PM
There was more talk about this game a month ago then there is in the week before its played. I guess it has lost a lot of its luster on here.

I had the air let out of my balloon with the Northeastern game, which happened to be on my wedding day. Kind of ruined the festivities. And unfortunately for me, I will be away at a conference on Saturday and will miss the game. Here's hoping UNH gets its mojo back.

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
I had the air let out of my balloon with the Northeastern game, which happened to be on my wedding day. Kind of ruined the festivities.

SURVIVAL TIP #1: Do not let your wife see this post. :eek:

Congrats on your wedding.

wildcat_fan
November 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
SURVIVAL TIP #1: Do not let your wife see this post. :eek:

Congrats on your wedding.

That's pretty funny when you consider that I am the wife :eek:
New hubby is a Michigan fan but not nearly into football as much as I am.

Umass74
November 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
That's pretty funny when you consider that I am the wife

Tell him from us that he got a great woman! :hurray:

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 2nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
It pains me but gotta go with Umass in this one....where will UNH end up?

CentDukesFan
November 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
i say UNH pulls it out...
umass hasnt had their yearly end-of-season meltdown YET

but i hope umass proves me wrong!

putter
November 2nd, 2006, 01:43 PM

LOL :hurray: Get that man in line and have him back a team that wins a real National Championship!!

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 01:47 PM

:bow: Your husband married a Goddess!! :bow:

Sam Adams
November 2nd, 2006, 02:10 PM
LOL - I think its too close to call. Turnovers and special teams will be critical. I think UMass has a more well rounded team, but Ball & Santos are truly amazing when they get it going and they are due to get it going.

I'm too biased here - I hope UMass blows their doors off, but I don't expect that to happen.

UNH_ORACLE
November 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Let's GO CATS!!!!!

UNHFan99
November 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM
It will come down to special teams just like last year.

BDKJMU
November 2nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Any JMU fans should be pulling for UNH. Unfortunately, I see UMass winning this one.

Madisonian
November 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
I agree we should be interested in a UNH win. Regarding the actual outcome, I think it comes down to which UNH team shows up on Saturday. UMass is capable on all levels, but UNH has some real firepower in the air. I think it will be close, and by that I mean too close to call.

Both teams should be extremely excited for this game. UNH is playing for their lives here, but UMass is the more well-rounded team.

In the end, it may come down to a little thing called luck. I hate to say it but I think luck is in the UMass corner this year.

Good luck to both teams!

ucdtim17
November 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Looking forward to watching this one before ND-UNC at 11:30 out here

Maroon&White
November 2nd, 2006, 05:58 PM
It will come down to special teams just like last year.

How did last years game come down to special teams??

blueballs
November 2nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Umass should be the favorite, and if they win they are a very good bet to get a seed and home field for at least two rounds.

It will be very interesting to see how the seeds play out. I can see App and UMass on the same side of the bracket with the Montana and the Gateway winner on the other side. App and Umass would be a heckuva matchup, especially if they played AT UMass. BUT, there are some other teams who will have a say in that and a LOT of football left to play.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 2nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
I agree we should be interested in a UNH win. Regarding the actual outcome, I think it comes down to which UNH team shows up on Saturday. UMass is capable on all levels, but UNH has some real firepower in the air. I think it will be close, and by that I mean too close to call.

Both teams should be extremely excited for this game. UNH is playing for their lives here, but UMass is the more well-rounded team.

In the end, it may come down to a little thing called luck. I hate to say it but I think luck is in the UMass corner this year.

Good luck to both teams!
A UMASS loss would punch JMU's ticket for a top seed......IF the Dukes can win out. I'm taking nothing for granted...let's take care of the Hens on Saturday....game by game. Dukes play at 6 pm so we will know the outcome

JMU_Fan_2007
November 2nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Here's a strange twist - a UMASS win could actually end up being a bad thing for JMU. Check out this scenerio - App St, Montana, UMass and JMU all win out. In all likelyhood they would be the #1, #2, #3, & #4 seeds. Which pairs JMU agianst App St and UMass and Montana in the brackets. BUT, if UMass loses, and App, Montana and JMU all win out. That puts App in the 1 seed, Montana in the 2 seed, JMU in the 3 seed, and who know who would make the 4 seed. But the point is, now JMU is paired up to travel to Montana! Now, the rock in Boone is by no means a fun place to go to playoff game. But at least some JMU fans could travel. Montana would be much worse. I would take Boone over Mizzoula any day. Now, an even better scenerio would be TWO of the teams above JMU loosing, granted we could win out. But considering the travel distances, a 4 seed could end up better than a 3 seed.

NHWildcatfan
November 2nd, 2006, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Maroon&White

UNH won by 6 points which was the equivalent of two field goals, one before the end of the first half and another early in the fourth. Something that usually goes unnoticed but a huge difference in the game.

Sam Adams
November 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
I love how folks want to assume that everybody that is "supposed to win" (JMU, App, Griz) will win out the rest of their games. I doubt it will happen that way.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Of course I want to assume my team will win out. Thats my job as a fan!:D

Maroon&White
November 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Maroon&White

UNH won by 6 points which was the equivalent of two field goals, one before the end of the first half and another early in the fourth. Something that usually goes unnoticed but a huge difference in the game.

You're kidding right? You actually are crediting that with the outcome of the game?? Sure its true, but get real, special teams didn't make or break the game.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 2nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
You're kidding right? You actually are crediting that with the outcome of the game?? Sure its true, but get real, special teams didn't make or break the game.

If they did you've gotta look at kick coverage and returns.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
I love how folks want to assume that everybody that is "supposed to win" (JMU, App, Griz) will win out the rest of their games. I doubt it will happen that way.
Just looking at the remaining games....good shot that they will run the table. However, I kinda agree with you that an upset is around the corner for someone.

umassfan
November 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Just looking at the remaining games....good shot that they will run the table. However, I kinda agree with you that an upset is around the corner for someone.
Montana plays Cal Poly and Montana St which is just the same as UMass playing UNH and Maine so I dont get your point.

th0m
November 3rd, 2006, 05:16 AM
Out of the top four teams, JMU and ASU arguably have the easiest schedule. Not saying they will win out, but it's less of a stretch. Delaware is always tough for JMU, and Towson is up and coming this year, looking to make their first I-AA playoff appearance ever. ASU has their rivalry game with WCU.

And let's not forget that it's not even a given that if UMass and JMU win out, they both receive seeds. The top Gateway team also has a legit argument for a seed, depending on how they beat each other up.

Umass74
November 3rd, 2006, 07:06 AM
Going undefeated in the A10 is rare. Have there EVER been two teams in the same year do it?

I think JMU will run the table. However, I think they will go into the last game with Towson with a home playoff game locked up. There might not be a lot of motivation there...

th0m
November 3rd, 2006, 07:16 AM
Well, maybe not. But I'd still like to be 10-1 rather than 9-2!

andy7171
November 3rd, 2006, 07:36 AM
Going undefeated in the A10 is rare. Have there EVER been two teams in the same year do it?

I think JMU will run the table. However, I think they will go into the last game with Towson with a home playoff game locked up. There might not be a lot of motivation there...
If Towson beats W&M and Richmond and JMU wins through as well, Towson would be 8-2 and JMU would be 9-1. How many loses does JMU have in the A-10? If they have one already, wouldn't the game be for the A-10 South? That's pretty motivating.

bandl
November 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
If Towson beats W&M and Richmond and JMU wins through as well, Towson would be 8-2 and JMU would be 9-1. How many loses does JMU have in the A-10? If they have one already, wouldn't the game be for the A-10 South? That's pretty motivating.
JMU hasn't lost an A-10 game.

andy7171
November 3rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
JMU hasn't lost an A-10 game.
OK, no motivation to beat Towson. :D

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM

There;s always motivation, it's called PRIDE.

Also, no coach wants his team limping into the playoffs. Same is true in the NFL when you see coaches puling starters - silly, leaves a team with a shadow of a doubt and I believe you need to constantly be working on the team chemistry all the way to the kickoff of the next big game... :twocents:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 3rd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Someone also mentioned being a 4 seed as better than a 3 seed for fear of playing Montana as opposed to App St.

Personally, despite the weather, travel etc. I'd rather play Montana right now. I think we are well rounded enough to take care of business against a GREAT griz team that still has it's question marks. Yes, the revenge factor would be huge, but our team seems to get up well for big games in the spotlight.

The Mountaineers on the other hand are still the most complete team in the country I think. I would love to face them in Chattanooga. Either way, I'd love to have the opportunity to face either team this year in the playoffs. You have to beat the best to be the best! :nod:

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2006, 12:58 PM

If UMass loses a game, JMU would have to win their last 3 to lock up the A-10 autobid and a #1 seed and homefield in the 1st 2 rounds. Lose to Towson, then maybe no autobid, no seed, and only 1 home game in the playoffs. Plenty of motivation.

umassfan
November 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
If UMass loses a game, JMU would have to win their last 3 to lock up the A-10 autobid and a #1 seed and homefield in the 1st 2 rounds. Lose to Towson, then maybe no autobid, no seed, and only 1 home game in the playoffs. Plenty of motivation.
Thats a big IF though

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Thats a big IF though
Big IF......but anything came happen.

UNHFootballAlum
November 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
How did this thread get hi jacked to talk about JMU and UMASS?

JMUfan2008
November 3rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
There is motivation in any football game...especially when it's the A10 which we're trying to go undefeated in...plus we're playing for a seed in the playoffs which would be at least 2 home games...no motivation?! are you kidding me?!

Sam Adams
November 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
JMU sounds like they are looking past UD. Could be interesting.

jmuroller
November 4th, 2006, 10:57 AM
JMU sounds like they are looking past UD. Could be interesting.

I'm pretty sure the coaches and players aren't looking past anyone. Fans can say all they want...it has no bearing on how the team performs.

jmuroller
November 4th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Can anyone get the game on the internet? They said it was free, but it keeps asking me to purchase it?

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:14 AM
A holding call hurt UNH on the first drive of the game. Punt to UMass

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Hadn't heard that Corey Graham had broken his leg and is out for the season. Big loss for the Wildcats.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Anyone else watching on CSTV? Quick 3 and out for UMass and punt to Santos and company.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Looks like UNH is trying hard to establish the run

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM
reception for UNH on a deep out and a personal foul on Shawn Smalls of UMass afterwards. UNH first down at UMass 45

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Illegal procedure on UNH, 1st and 15 at 50

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Big loss of five on running play for the Wildcats. Second and long, option to Boyle for a short gain.

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Short completion to the 38. 4th down fake punt blows up on UNH

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Big pass from Coen to the TE gives UMass a first down at the 13.

November 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Can anyone get the game on the internet? They said it was free, but it keeps asking me to purchase it?http://media.yahoo.com/broadband/m/go/col/player?key=/nal/fb/nal110406mak

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM
3rd and 5 fade route for a TD Coen to Rancher 2:16 left in 1st

jmuroller
November 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Anyone else watching on CSTV? Quick 3 and out for UMass and punt to Santos and company.

Did you have to pay the 15 bucks to watch it? I'm trying to get it.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Im fighting computer problems. I dled version 7 of IE the other day and their software does not support it. I cannot find version 6 anymore online so im stuck with radio. This sucks.

JMUfan2008
November 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Did you have to pay the 15 bucks to watch it? I'm trying to get it.

it's working for me...i just went through the unhwildcats website to their yahoo audio thing

jmuroller
November 4th, 2006, 11:45 AM
it's working for me...i just went through the unhwildcats website to their yahoo audio thing

That is the audio version. I'm trying to watch the video/TV part.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
UMass just blocked the punt and get the ball inside the 20

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Coen to Moore for the 15 yard td. 14-0 UMass

Mr. C
November 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Broken play and Coen throws a TD pass. 14-0 UMass 10:05 left in half

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Broken play and Coen throws a TD pass. 14-0 UMass 10:05 left in half
How do we look Mr C. I cant see the video

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 11:59 AM
:hurray: Minutemen are rolling early 14-0 !!!:hurray:

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM
:hurray: Minutemen are rolling early 14-0 !!!:hurray:
We need to make a stop here and score again before the half

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM
UMass holds them to a fg. 14-3 UMass

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 12:12 PM
38 yard td RUN by steve Baylark. UMass 21-3

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 12:13 PM
UMass looks incredible. UNH is in deep trouble.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Walter Payton Award Candidate Stevie Baylark rumbles for 38 yds and another UMass TD. 21-3 UMASS !!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Walter Payton Award Candidate Stevie Baylark rumbles for 38 yds and another UMass TD. 21-3 UMASS !!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
It woulda sucked if the ref tackled Baylark

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM
UMass defense coming up huge. Several clutch sacks of Santos so far.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 12:20 PM
UMass with two huge plays for a loss at the end of the half with UNH driving. Forced a punt.

UMass takes a knee. UMass 21-3 at the half. They also get the ball to start the second half.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM
UMASS is dominating the Wildcats thus far. UMASS D is blowing the UNH OLine off the ball and consistently gettting to Santos. Santos is just shaking his head on the sidelines, he has no time to operate.

Appstate29
November 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM
what are the playoff implications if UNH should lose this game?? you think 8-3 gets them in?

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Yes...8-3 they are in.....

But funny how UNI and UNH were ranked soo high pre-season....and now neither probably deserve a playoff spot......: smh : :rotateh:

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM
what are the playoff implications if UNH should lose this game?? you think 8-3 gets them in?

Yeah, UNH should get in at 8-3. I can't imagine many other 8-3 teams having a better playoff resume.

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 12:53 PM
watching on CSTV.....UMASS defense still looking strong.....

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Any 8-3 A-10 team will make the playoffs unless there are 5 with 8-3 records or better. Then it gets sticky.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Wow, the UNH defense is terrible.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Big 43 yard pass to london down to the 2 yardline

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 12:57 PM
1 yard td run by Baylark. 28-3 UMass

Tailbone

A late season meltdown can't help.

UMass922
TD Baylark

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: BAYLARK AGAIN !!! 28-3 MINUTEMEN !!!:hurray: :hurray:

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
A late season meltdown can't help.

True, but I'd like to see the committee leave an 8-3 UNH team out of the playoffs......Ball, Santos and a win over Northwestern should get them in at 8-3. The big question is will they even get to 8-3?

ChickenMan
November 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Any 8-3 A-10 team will make the playoffs unless there are 5 with 8-3 records or better. Then it gets sticky.

I doubt UNH will finish at 8-3... teams either get better or worse as the season progresses and UNH isn't getting better. With games remaining at URI and at Maine... UNH is probably going to get another loss.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
TD David Ball 33 yards. UMass 28-10

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I doubt UNH will finish at 8-3... teams either get better or worse as the season progresses and UNH isn't getting better. With games remaining at URI and at Maine... UNH is probably going to get another loss.

Agreed.

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:04 PM
TD UNH, Santos to Ball

GannonFan
November 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM
UNH gets in at 8-3 - losing this way to UMass isn't the end of the world - UMass is legit, finally, this year. However, UNH's defense has gotten so bad that the Maine game is no longer a given win for UNH - 7-4, even with Santos, Ball, and the Northwestern win, does not get them in.

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM
TD UNH, Santos to Ball

Who are these Santos and Ball characters???:read:

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM
WOW 3rd and 22 converted by UNH......Refs missed a HUGE block in back/trip....to allow Santos to complete the pass.....

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM
UNH picks up 3rd and 22 in UMass territory.

Appstate29
November 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM
game ain't over yet...

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 01:17 PM
28 to 13

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM
UNH has a nice drive but ended with a fg. 28-13 UMass

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM
FG UNH - 28-13

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 01:19 PM
UNH gets in at 8-3 - losing this way to UMass isn't the end of the world - UMass is legit, finally, this year. However, UNH's defense has gotten so bad that the Maine game is no longer a given win for UNH - 7-4, even with Santos, Ball, and the Northwestern win, does not get them in.

Typical bitter ud fan. xlolx

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:20 PM
UMass needs more points if I'm going to feel comfy here. Still the 4th quarter to go . . .

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Typical bitter ud fan. xlolx

Yeesh. If you want to pick on UD, take it to the smack board. This thread is about UMass and UNH.

BigApp
November 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Who are these Santos and Ball characters???:read:

last time I remember 'em, someone was hyping one of them for the Heisman:D

umassfan
Stupid play and stupid no call on the penelty. I hate that play when someone jumps to take a knee. Because of it we have to punt.

umassfan
Nice punt by ALL WORLD punter Koegel downed at the 3.

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Those of you watching on tv, help me out here: what on earth just happened on 3rd and 2 for UMass?

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Cheesy roughing the kicker penalty called on UMass.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM
WHY WHY WHY do you run into the kicker in a time like that?

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Sounds like a lot of drops by the UNH receivers today.

Damn. Running into the kicker penalty costs UMass great field position and lets UNH keep the ball. I'm still wary of this team doing itself in with penalties. If UMass has a weakness, that's it.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 01:35 PM
WHY WHY WHY do you run into the kicker in a time like that?

Looks like he was pushed toward him by the UNH player.......the UMass guy barely brushed him.:rolleyes:

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 01:36 PM
WE are playin STUPID defense. Just plain STUPID

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Why is UMass playing not to lose instead of to win?

biobengal
November 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
WOW!! I turned it on about a half hour ago, 28 - 3 was the score.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Yup, UMass choking away the game.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Santos to Ball again 28-20 UMass. UMass is playing just plain aweful D right now. UMass is playing just like JMU did in the second half. Only problem is they had a larger lead. Due to that hitting the kicker penelty they drive 97 yards for the td.

biobengal
November 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Yup, UMass choking away the game.

They need to start choking David Ball.

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
gonna need a 2pt conversion.....:rotateh:

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Gah, another penalty . . .

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Big stop by UNH. They'll get their chance to tie, four-and-a-half remaining . . .

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 01:48 PM
UMass D needs to step up RIGHT NOW!

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 01:48 PM
UMass forced to punt with about three and a half minutes left.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 01:49 PM
UMass forced to punt with about three and a half minutes left.
UNH has all 3 time outs left and about 80 yards to go.

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:49 PM
UNH has 79 yards to go in 3:40. Needless to say, they're more than capable of it.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 01:53 PM
We are being SOOOOOOOOOOOO f'n stupid goooooooood

blur2005
Oh boy, this is getting too exciting.

blackfordpu
score?

TheTribeHasSpoken
November 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM
28-20 UMASS

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM
David Ball breaks a couple tackles, spins out of some more, down to the 10 yard line.

Chi Panther
November 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM
What a finish......go UMASS!!!

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM
24 seconds left, 4th and goal for UNH at the 3 yard line.

C'mon Hampy

UMass922
November 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
4th and goal at the 4, :23 left . . .

blackfordpu
I'm now listening, what a great game!

Dane96
4th and Goal...23 seconds left....game is great...watching it...

blackfordpu
November 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM
4th and Goal...23 seconds left....game is great...watching it...

where?

Dane96
UMASS HOLDS!!!

Dane96
CSTV

umassfan
HUGE STOP

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Dang it, incomplete.

mainejeff
What a finish.

blackfordpu
Did you just ruin it for me?

Yes you did!:bang:

Dane96
UMASS...is going to be a very...very good playoff team.

umassfan
UMass WINs UMass WINs :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

blackfordpu
Great showing by both teams!

Congrats to UMASS! :hurray:

blur2005
Ugh, I wanted UNH to pull this out so badly.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM

My pick to win it all right now.:nod:

Sam Adams
xlolx BIG JOHN HATCHELL ENDS THE COMEBACK .xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod:

GO GO GO GO U...GO UMASS !!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

mainejeff

I wanted UMass to win :)

blur2005
November 4th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I wanted UMass to win :)
I wanted UNH to win so JMU could possibly win the A-10 outright.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I wanted UNH to win so JMU could possibly win the A-10 outright.

I wanted UMass to win so the Maine/UNH game would mean something if Maine beats UMass.....hah-hah :(

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Jason Hatchell for UMass wins the Bill Knight trophy for MVP. 18 tackles with 1 for a loss and a pass breakup.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Every JMU fan wanted UMass to go down. Every gateway team prob did too.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Not if our offense doesnt stop taking it easy in the second half. Because of it, our D was on the field so much they were soooo tired and couldnt make stops.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Congratulations to UNH on a great effort and a great comeback. You guys got some nice assists from the refs but still this was a classic A10 UMass - UNH game played under perfect conditions.

UMass has another tough game next weekend when the Black Bears come to Happy Valley.

UMASS played 1 great half and 1 not so great half - its a W and we'll be happy to leave Durham still undefeated in A10 and 1AA on the season. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
The silence is deafening....xlolx

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I guess now that we beat someone good and have a QUALITY win, everyone has nothing to say. xlolx

Maverick
November 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
As usual you have the most nothing to say! We are just following your lead.

:smiley_wi :smiley_wi

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 07:44 PM
As usual you have the most nothing to say! We are just following your lead.

:smiley_wi :smiley_wi
Does that make sense? xidiotx

November 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I guess now that we beat someone good and have a QUALITY win, everyone has nothing to say. xlolxHey, you've been GPI #1 for the last two weeks so act like you've been there!! :) All you have to do is get that top 2 seed now.

Maverick
November 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
If you find fault with it, too bad, I'm too busy to put real effort in.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I don't understand the point. But I do understand that UMass passed a major test today and I'm really feeling that love from our 1AA brothers.:beerchug:

ravens
November 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Can we bury the Santos for Heisman thread now???

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Can we bury the Santos for Heisman thread now???

uh yeah i think that thread is due for a dirt nap until next year. :rolleyes:

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hey, you've been GPI #1 for the last two weeks so act like you've been there!! :) All you have to do is get that top 2 seed now.
Dont ask me... im not the one who stated how we didnt deserve that because we didnt play anyone. Im just stating why the thread and talk is all quiet.

Sam Adams
November 4th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Dont ask me... im not the one who stated how we didnt deserve that because we didnt play anyone. Im just stating why the thread and talk is all quiet. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Exactamundo. UMass is a pretty good team that won a HUGE game today. Previously we got knocked because we only beat every 1AA team we played and folks said we had a weak schedule. Now we beat the former #1 team in the country on the road and suddenly the weak schedule critics have vanished.

I'm not saying we are #1. The GPI is saying that. Personally, I think Appy should be #1 until they get beaten. UMass is still in the hunt for a seed.

rcny46
November 4th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I guess now that we beat someone good and have a QUALITY win, everyone has nothing to say. xlolx

Congrats on a big win.I thought your guys looked good today,and they should go far in the playoffs.UMass and JMU will probably be the only teams representing the A-10,and I wish you well.

umassfan
November 4th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Congrats on a big win.I thought your guys looked good today,and they should go far in the playoffs.UMass and JMU will probably be the only teams representing the A-10,and I wish you well.
I think UNH will make it to the playoffs. We will expose Maine next week and they will have nothing to play for vs UNH in the final game of the season.

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 04:26 AM
I dunno, UNH may be done after this weekend. Not sure they'll have much left in the tank after benig ranked #1 then losing 3 of 4.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 5th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Then isn't it time to switch your avatar to UMass? :nod: xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 5th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I think UNH will make it to the playoffs. We will expose Maine next week and they will have nothing to play for vs UNH in the final game of the season.

There is always something to play for in a Maine-UNH game! Pride and the Musket!!!!! :nod: Just like there is always something to play for in the UMass-UNH game, the Villanova-Delaware game, the Richmond-William & Mary game, etc.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 5th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Yes, you now have one quality win, but I'm not sure I'd be feeling so full of yourself. I was at the game and watched your team come off the field. It sure didn't look like a team that just won a big game. Especially after the obnoxious display they put on going to the locker room at halftime.

Yes, I was impressed at halftime, but I wasn't very impressed by the end of the game. I still saw the same tendency of making those stupid, killing penalties. And your offense couldn't spring Baylark for one or two first downs when that would have iced the game. And your vaunted defense didn't look so airtight during the second half.

Yes, you won the game, were the better team yesterday, and are deserving of your high ranking. But after yesterday I don't think anyone is shaking in their boots if they have to face UMass on the road to Chatty. They appeared very mortal.

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Yes, you now have one quality win, but I'm not sure I'd be feeling so full of yourself. I was at the game and watched your team come off the field. It sure didn't look like a team that just won a big game. Especially after the obnoxious display they put on going to the locker room at halftime.

Yes, I was impressed at halftime, but I wasn't very impressed by the end of the game. I still saw the same tendency of making those stupid, killing penalties. And your offense couldn't spring Baylark for one or two first downs when that would have iced the game. And your vaunted defense didn't look so airtight during the second half.

Yes, you won the game, were the better team yesterday, and are deserving of your high ranking. But after yesterday I don't think anyone is shaking in their boots if they have to face UMass on the road to Chatty. They appeared very mortal.
Sounds very bitter to me. If you were at the game you would have noticed a change in D once we went up 28-3. Instead of playing aggressive, the D just wanted to keep everything infront of them so they didnt get burnt. The second half was also aided by two crappy calls by the ref. You and me both know that running into the kicker call was garbage. Also on the 3 and 1 when Coen took the knee on a quick snap, your D was offsides. Even the refs knew they messed up. Why do you think they huddled. It sure as hell wasnt to check the clock. Coen could have easily put up 400 yards yesterday if the O Coord didnt play not to lose. Once we got up big, he was happy to sit on the ball instead of keep the offense flowing.

UNH 40
November 5th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Couldn't agree with you more Alum. Umass is a good football team that was very lucky to escape yesterday with the win. Neither their Defense or the offense were very impressive at all. This was another case of UNH beating themselves. Now the question is can Umass hold up two weeks in a row against a good opponent. Congrats on the win UMass and I hope we see you again in the playoffs.

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Couldn't agree with you more Alum. Umass is a good football team that was very lucky to escape yesterday with the win. Neither their Defense or the offense were very impressive at all. This was another case of UNH beating themselves. Now the question is can Umass hold up two weeks in a row against a good opponent. Congrats on the win UMass and I hope we see you again in the playoffs.
Id like to here HOW UNH beat themselves?

UNH 40
November 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM

How about allowing a Blocked Kick?
Dropping the ball in the endzone.
not throwing the ball away on the fake punt.

The blocked kick and not throwing the ball away allowed UMass to play with a short field both of which lead to TD's especially the blocked punt.
If the ball had been caught in the endzone at the end of the third quarter, the score would have been 17-28 and then possibly 25-28 after the second David Ball TD catch if UNH had gotten the 2 point conversion thus allowing UNH kick a field goal on 4th and goal from the 4 with 20 seconds left. THAT is how UNH aided UMass.

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:42 AM
How about allowing a Blocked Kick?
Dropping the ball in the endzone.
not throwing the ball away on the fake punt.

The blocked kick and not throwing the ball away allowed UMass to play with a short field both of which lead to TD's especially the blocked punt.
If the ball had been caught in the endzone at the end of the third quarter, the score would have been 17-28 and then possibly 25-28 after the second David Ball TD catch if UNH had gotten the 2 point conversion thus allowing UNH kick a field goal on 4th and goal from the 4 with 20 seconds left. THAT is how UNH aided UMass.
That sounds like alot of IFs. Last time I checked... UNH didnt block their own punt. If you threw the ball away on the fake punt, we still would have got the ball. As for the droped passes.... its not UMass's fault that your WRs didnt come into their biggest game of the year unfocused. All that sounds like excuses to me. What about that BS running into the kicker. We would have had the ball inside the 30 on that one if the ref didnt make that unwarented call.

WildcatFan
November 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I thought you watched the game? Oh that's right the refs almost blew it for you right.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 5th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Sounds very bitter to me. If you were at the game you would have noticed a change in D once we went up 28-3. Instead of playing aggressive, the D just wanted to keep everything infront of them so they didnt get burnt. The second half was also aided by two crappy calls by the ref. You and me both know that running into the kicker call was garbage. Also on the 3 and 1 when Coen took the knee on a quick snap, your D was offsides. Even the refs knew they messed up. Why do you think they huddled. It sure as hell wasnt to check the clock. Coen could have easily put up 400 yards yesterday if the O Coord didnt play not to lose. Once we got up big, he was happy to sit on the ball instead of keep the offense flowing.

If I sound bitter then it's because you bring out the absolute worst in me. I detest your absolute homerism and your refusal to word posts in ways that won't inflame people. I view this as a very mature forum and you refuse to recognize that and continue to write posts that are borderline smack. And if this is a personal attack, then mods feel free to ban me for whatever time you'd like. But I guarantee you that I'm not the only one who feels this way. But don't worry mods, this is my last reply on the subject because I don't have the interest to spar with him all day. I'll do you a favor and ban myself.

As for the penalties, I don't know. I was watching the ball on the punt from the other end of the stadium and didn't see the punter after he kicked the ball. And if the refs knew they were wrong, they sure didn't "admit it" after that huddle. Seems like they had plenty of time to get it "right". At least you didn't try to say the headhunting when Santos slid was a bad call.

Wouldn't you say the two David Ball TDs were "getting burnt"? If LeVan hadn't dropped his, I'd have included that in the "getting burnt" category too. If your offense line was as dominant as you claim them to be, then even sitting on the ball should have got Baylark more first downs and iced the game.

UMassFan, you'd have a lot more credibility on this forum, and UMass would have a lot more fans, if you were able to display even a modicum of objectivity. But what do I know, I'm just a sore loser. :rolleyes:

UNH 40
November 5th, 2006, 11:53 AM
What about that BS running into the kicker. We would have had the ball inside the 30 on that one if the ref didnt make that unwarented call.

that was a good call whoever the numbskull DE was that deside he would try to be a hero and attempt to block a kick while his team was in safe punt formation deserved it. He ran into the kicker plain and simple it is a 5 yard penalty every day of the week. Boneheaded play plain and simple.

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Some understandable sour grapes from some wildcats fans. Losing 3 out of 4 after being ranked #1 will do that to you. Go get yourself some fresh air this afternoon and Good luck the rest of the way Cats.

The running into the kicker call was blatently bogus, the UMass defender was pushed into the Kicker by a UNH player. So UNH got a break, I'm not losing much sleep over it.xcoffeex

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM
If I sound bitter then it's because you bring out the absolute worst in me. I detest your absolute homerism and your refusal to word posts in ways that won't inflame people. I view this as a very mature forum and you refuse to recognize that and continue to write posts that are borderline smack. And if this is a personal attack, then mods feel free to ban me for whatever time you'd like. But I guarantee you that I'm not the only one who feels this way. But don't worry mods, this is my last reply on the subject because I don't have the interest to spar with him all day. I'll do you a favor and ban myself.

As for the penalties, I don't know. I was watching the ball on the punt from the other end of the stadium and didn't see the punter after he kicked the ball. And if the refs knew they were wrong, they sure didn't "admit it" after that huddle. Seems like they had plenty of time to get it "right". At least you didn't try to say the headhunting when Santos slid was a bad call.

Wouldn't you say the two David Ball TDs were "getting burnt"? If LeVan hadn't dropped his, I'd have included that in the "getting burnt" category too. If your offense line was as dominant as you claim them to be, then even sitting on the ball should have got Baylark more first downs and iced the game.

UMassFan, you'd have a lot more credibility on this forum, and UMass would have a lot more fans, if you were able to display even a modicum of objectivity. But what do I know, I'm just a sore loser. :rolleyes:
Did you see the TD when Ball leaped high above two UMass defenders for the ball? How would that be considered getting burnt?

ravens
November 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Did you see the TD when Ball leaped high above two UMass defenders for the ball? How would that be considered getting burnt?
Don't argue with the UNH fans. It is a waste of time. They started the season posting, " we are # 1, Santos is God, and, We are unbeatable".
Now they changed to "only UNH is good enough to beat ourselves 3 times."...xlolx
The truth is they are a one trick pony and if they " beat themselves" again they won't even make the playoffs. :hurray:

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I find it sad that some UNH people have to take so much away from their team. Instead of complementing them on a great job getting back into it, they just talk about UMass supposedly not performing well. UNH did a great job getting back into the game - there was no way that lead was safe at half, UNH has shown they can score quickly and often and did it again.

I can understand why UNH fans are so bitter though - they go from beating a Big Ten team (who is 3-7 now), having a #1 ranking, a great combo in Santos & Ball and hopes of a NC...to losing 3 out of the past 4 games - one on homecoming and another on senior day.

It was a great game between two good teams. No reason to take credit away from either team. UMass got up early and held on to win with some big defensive stops. UNH showed that they can come back quickly.

I don't know about some of those calls being bad. I couldn't see from where I was sitting if that call on the punt was correct or not. I do know that the punter took a dive on an earlier punt and the ref told him to get up...so I wouldn't doubt that he did it again...then again after big defensive stops UMass has gotten called for the same thing before. The hit on Santos by Ihedigbo was obviously a good call. I wouldn't complain too much about Ihedigbo doing that...especially after a UNH reciever kicked(?) a UMass LB (Walker) in the groin.

That play at the end of the game was as ugly as can be. What a terrible call to end the came. Ball has proven for 4yrs now that UMass can not cover him. He has repeatedly shown he can out leap the UMass DBs. Let him show it again...don't do some stupid pitch.

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I agree, UNH fans need to get over it. UMass was just the better team in a great game. The calls went both ways. The game was decided on the field by the players making plays. John Hatchell's play to end the game was emblematic of the UMass D. Great to see the Bill Knight Trophy go to UMass LB Jason Hatchell, only the second time a defensive player has won the Bill Knight. Congratulations Jason ! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

ChickenMan
November 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Plain and simple UMass is the better team... UNH made a nice comeback but it was pretty obvious who was the better team.

YoUDeeMan
November 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
UMass was the better team yesterday.

But, and this is not smack, if UMass thinks they can skate through some playoff games, as their offense did in the second half, they will once again come up short. I'm rooting for UMass and JMU (and any other A-10 team that gets in) in the playoffs, but dang it, UMass just seems to lack a killer instinct. Yes, UNH is good enough to score some quick TDs against anyone. But, UMass looked slow on offense in the second half and their lack of production left their defenders on the field too long.

I really hope UMass can play games for 4 quarters in the playoffs. They have the talent to win it all, but there seems to be something missing.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 03:10 PM
UMass was the better team yesterday.

But, and this is not smack, if UMass thinks they can skate through some playoff games, as their offense did in the second half, they will once again come up short. I'm rooting for UMass and JMU (and any other A-10 team that gets in) in the playoffs, but dang it, UMass just seems to lack a killer instinct. Yes, UNH is good enough to score some quick TDs against anyone. But, UMass looked slow on offense in the second half and their lack of production left their defenders on the field too long.

I really hope UMass can play games for 4 quarters in the playoffs. They have the talent to win it all, but there seems to be something missing.

I agree with your post and thought of something while reading it. This is simply a useless observation... This past game, UMass played its fewest amount of players of any game this season (37). They averaged playing 51players a game, with the high being 60 against Stony Brook. Your comment of, "I really hope UMass can play games for 4 quarters in the playoffs," just made me think this past game was the first time the starters really had to play the entire game. Usually they are ahead enough to play the second team.

Brown never really seems to want to "run up" a score. That lack of killer instict you think UMass has could be because of Brown's refusal to really score a lot. If Whipple was still here it obviously would be a different story; Brown just doesn't seem to have the offensive mindset that goes along with a "killer instinct". :twocents:

YoUDeeMan
November 5th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I agree with your post and thought of something while reading it. This is simply a useless observation... This past game, UMass played its fewest amount of players of any game this season (37). They averaged playing 51players a game, with the high being 60 against Stony Brook. Your comment of, "I really hope UMass can play games for 4 quarters in the playoffs," just made me think this past game was the first time the starters really had to play the entire game. Usually they are ahead enough to play the second team.

Brown never really seems to want to "run up" a score. That lack of killer instict you think UMass has could be because of Brown's refusal to really score a lot. If Whipple was still here it obviously would be a different story; Brown just doesn't seem to have the offensive mindset that goes along with a "killer instinct". :twocents:

Good observations. However, if true, UMass better start playing the starters longer to get them in shape for the playoffs. There won't be any gimmies.

I'd really like to see UMass and JMU do some damage in the palyoffs.

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Well if this is truly the case, UMass will be in trouble.....You have to close, especially against a team like UNH.

I've read through these posts as for as the UMassFan's pros and various UNH fans "what if" cons...but I did listen to this game, couldn't find the free CSTV feed that was mentioned. But the fact of the matter is, UNH exposed UMass's defense and offense in the 2nd half. UMass has not had to go all four quarters for most of the season and it showed. The playoffs will not be so kind. Even if the coaches turned down the heat with a 28 to 3 lead, they should have turned it back on when UNH started coming back...it just didn't happen and you can blame UNH for that, they stepped it up and UMass could not respond.

UMass has a great team, but their weaker A-10 draw this year may be their downfall in the long run...good luck. And UNH, please win out..I would love to see a 3rd team represent the league this year.....;)

Sam Adams
November 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM
UMass did respond. They stopped UNH from scoring didn't they. and but for a terrible running into the kicker call against UMass when the UMass D had stuffed UNH back into their own endzone - its just a much different game.

I agree that the offense needed to make a few first downs. UNH was putting 7-8 in the box and UMass needed to spread them and make quick passes to move the chains.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM
UMass has not had to go all four quarters for most of the season and it showed. The playoffs will not be so kind. Even if the coaches turned down the heat with a 28 to 3 lead, they should have turned it back on when UNH started coming back...it just didn't happen and you can blame UNH for that, they stepped it up and UMass could not respond.

:nod:

I guess I could agree that UNH exposed UMass' D...but that exposure didn't result in a loss to a team that averages 35.44ppg (2nd in nation) and 413.89ypg (3rd in nation). I get what you are saying, that it can be a concern, but the D did end up holding (maybe a couple times, no opininon on that punt penalty). UNH did get more yards then average saturday, but the important stat, points, they were held below average. I really can't say the D did that poorly.

I can agree more that UMass' offense was more exposed then the D. 2nd half they definitely struggled.

blukeys
November 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM
But the fact of the matter is, UNH exposed UMass's defense and offense in the 2nd half. UMass has not had to go all four quarters for most of the season and it showed. The playoffs will not be so kind. Even if the coaches turned down the heat with a 28 to 3 lead, they should have turned it back on when UNH started coming back...it just didn't happen and you can blame UNH for that, they stepped it up and UMass could not respond.

The fact of the matter is UNH's offense could expose any defense at any time. Umass got the job done plain and simple. In my view Umass is currently the most complete team in the A-10 as they were in 2005 in my opinion. As for UNH stepping up in the second half, they are a great offensive team. Why is the fact that a great UNH offense performing is seen as a negative for UMASS and not a positive for UNH?????

I see the A-10 as having 3 really excellent teams in Umass, JMU, and UNH (Richmond is almost there IMHO). Why there is a down side to beating any of these teams is a mystery to me. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

rcny46
November 5th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I just wish UNH could figure out how to get some sort of respectable ground game going.Yesterday they had 58 rushing yards,and 55 of those were picked up by Santos.Everybody else managed only 3 yards on 15 carries.I don't know what the problem is-the backs aren't really that bad IMO-but they seem to have been pretty ineffective over the past 3 or 4 games.Maybe the O line isn't getting the job done.An improvement in that area would sure make things easier for the offense.

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 08:39 PM
The fact of the matter is UNH's offense could expose any defense at any time. Umass got the job done plain and simple. In my view Umass is currently the most complete team in the A-10 as they were in 2005 in my opinion. As for UNH stepping up in the second half, they are a great offensive team. Why is the fact that a great UNH offense performing is seen as a negative for UMASS and not a positive for UNH?????

I see the A-10 as having 3 really excellent teams in Umass, JMU, and UNH (Richmond is almost there IMHO). Why there is a down side to beating any of these teams is a mystery to me. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

This post was mainly based on reading the various comments in regards to why UMass won and why UNH should not have lost...yada yada yada... Now that the A-10 is taking it's final shape for the post season, I want to see as many teams represent us as possible. UMass, although a complete team in your and many other eyes, were found to have some vulnerabilities that were not exposed by the previous competition.....Don't think for once teams won't study the 2nd half of this game... with a 25 point spread almost closed by UNH, they will have to work on that for not only the post season, but Maine in the up coming week. No more or no less...

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 09:08 PM
UMass, although a complete team in your and many other eyes, were found to have some vulnerabilities that were not exposed by the previous competition.....

In your opinion, what exactly are those vulnerabilities?

bkrownd
November 5th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Good observations. However, if true, UMass better start playing the starters longer to get them in shape for the playoffs.

Isn't that what practice days and the various conditioning chores are for?

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 10:52 PM
What people do not understand is UNH plays the type of offense that does not allow many subs vs them. Because of that, our defense wore down in the second half. I said this before the game and said it again now. I mentioned how that would be the key to the game. We seemed to deal with it well in the first half when our D was rested. When we did score the ball it was on quick drives. One drive was 22 seconds... another was 1 minute... another was 1:28. When you dont kill clock and control the ball vs UNH, your D will tire.

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 11:08 PM
In your opinion, what exactly are those vulnerabilities? One being the defense ran out of gas when challenged late in the game... another being, the offense could not put a nail in the coffen late in the 3rd and throughout the 4th... If a team blows a 28-3 point lead mid way through the 3rd for the game to come down to the very last play and it doesn't raise a few eyebrows, somethings wrong. I know the fans are happy with the win, but the coaches will be doing some serious thinking from here on out...and I know Maine will see exactly what UNH did to shut you guys down....and they do have the defense to execute for 4 quarters.... A coach learns a not more about his team in close hard fought wins then he does blow outs...trust me, the UMass coaches benefited from this game more than some may care to admit.

I'll say it here today...if UMass doesn't make some offensive adjustments to prevent what UNH did to stop them before the Maine game, you will lose this game. It's the same with UNH, Richmond exposed them and they've lost 3 out of 4 since then...

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM
One being the defense ran out of gas when challenged late in the game... another being, the offense could not put a nail in the coffen late in the 3rd and throughout the 4th... If a team blows a 28-3 point lead mid way through the 2nd half for the game to come down to the very last play and still think they are not vulnerable, then buddy have at it....:bow:
Read my post to understand why they were gased.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 11:26 PM
One being the defense ran out of gas when challenged late in the game... another being, the offense could not put a nail in the coffen late in the 3rd and throughout the 4th... If a team blows a 28-3 point lead mid way through the 3rd for the game to come down to the very last play and it doesn't raise a few eyebrows, somethings wrong. I know the fans are happy with the win, but the coaches will be doing some serious thinking from here on out...and I know Maine will see exactly what UNH did to shut you guys down....and they do have the defense to execute for 4 quarters.... A coach learns a not more about his team in close hard fought wins then he does blow outs...trust me, the UMass coaches benefited from this game more than some may care to admit.

I'll say it here today...if UMass doesn't make some offensive adjustments to prevent what UNH did to stop them before the Maine game, you will lose this game. It's the same with UNH, Richmond exposed them and they've lost 3 out of 4 since then...

You originally said UNH exposed the UMass D and I asked what specifically did they expose...your answer is they ran out of gas?? The rest of the above post is about the UMass O vs. UNH D. You're completely mixing things up.

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 11:35 PM
What people do not understand is UNH plays the type of offense that does not allow many subs vs them. Because of that, our defense wore down in the second half. I said this before the game and said it again now. I mentioned how that would be the key to the game. We seemed to deal with it well in the first half when our D was rested. When we did score the ball it was on quick drives. One drive was 22 seconds... another was 1 minute... another was 1:28. When you dont kill clock and control the ball vs UNH, your D will tire.

UMF.... if a coached used this rational for why his defense tired..he would be cleaning out his office within a week....It's called game planning. Richmond and JMU proved that ball control and killing the clock was not the key to beating UNH..the key was rushing 4, dropping 7 and aggresively attacking their suspect defense....

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 11:37 PM
You originally said UNH exposed the UMass D and I asked what specifically did they expose...your answer is they ran out of gas?? The rest of the above post is about the UMass O vs. UNH D. You're completely mixing things up.

No, you asked what were their vulnerabilities......you mentioned no specifics..... read back... my initial post said the UNH had exposed several UMass vulnerabilities....

And yes, running out of gas is one of them...that tells a coach that your defense isn't as well conditioned as thought and if pushed enough, they will tire, become undisciplined and start missing assignments.... I'm being as objective as possible, because I do like UMass...

umassfan
November 5th, 2006, 11:39 PM
UMF.... if a coached used this rational for why his defense tired..he would be cleaning out his office within a week....It's called game planning. Richmond and JMU proved that ball control and killing the clock was not the key to beating UNH..the key was rushing 4, dropping 7 and aggresively attacking their suspect defense....
I assume you watched the JMU UNH game as did I. Didnt you notice that UNH passed all over JMU late too. The only difference is JMU had a larger lead. MM likes to score alot where Brown likes to control the clock and control the game.

Maroon&White
November 5th, 2006, 11:46 PM
No, you asked what were their vulnerabilities......you mentioned no specifics..... read back... my initial post said the UNH had exposed several UMass vulnerabilities....

Oh yea, sorry about that. :o

I think I was still refering to blukeys post about UNH can expose any D. Your post I quoted when I asked for specifics was in response to blukeys post...maybe that's why I was thinking it meant D. Oh well. xlolx

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I assume you watched the JMU UNH game as did I. Didnt you notice that UNH passed all over JMU late too. The only difference is JMU had a larger lead. MM likes to score alot where Brown likes to control the clock and control the game.

I guess coach Brown likes to play it close...makes for good highlights

DB_Atlantic10
November 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Oh yea, sorry about that. :o

I think I was still refering to blukeys post about UNH can expose any D. Your post I quoted when I asked for specifics was in response to blukeys post...maybe that's why I was thinking it meant D. Oh well. xlolx

;)