PDA

View Full Version : Can Campbell Pull Off An Upset At The Rock?

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Mr. C is getting his first live look at the Campbell Camels this evening as they take on former FCS powerhouse Appalachian State. The Camels played a competitive game for a half last week at UNC-Charlotte, trailing 6-3 as they went to the locker room against a school with 70-plus scholarships. ASU is coming off a particularly poor performance at Michigan, so it will be interesting to see if an improved Campbell squad can hang with the Mountaineers. It has been raining off and on this afternoon in Boone, so that could be another equalizer. There are a lot of questions to be answered in this one.

Also, Campbell is playing what the school thinks is the most ambitious scheduled ever played by a Pioneer Football League team. Come and join us for the ride as we are about 20 minutes from game time.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Strolling through the press box this afternoon, I saw a smiling face waiting to greet me warmly. It was former James Madison coach Mickey Matthews, who I've long counted as one of my favorite people in the coaching fraturnity. He is here to serve as the color commentator for tonight's ESPN3 broadcast. Mickey said he isn't sure if he wants to go back into coaching at this point and is enjoying working on the TV side of things.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:01 PM
This is my first game in Boone in the post-Jerry Moore era. Seems weird not having Coach Moore on the sidelines tonight.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:09 PM
After a three and out for Campbell on its opening possession, a 39-yard punt return by Bobo Beathard sets ASU up at the CU 25.

CID1990
September 6th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I'm in Boone but decided to drink beer on the porch rather than go to the game.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Zach Mathics 31-yard field goal. ASU 3, Campbell 0. 7 plays, 11 yards, 1:58 seconds on the drive. 11:34 remaining in the first period.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I'm in Boone but decided to drink beer on the porch rather than go to the game.
Plenty of good seats still available. Probably no one taking tickets in the second half.

CID1990
September 6th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I'm 5 beers into a 12 pack. I'll follow the updates.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Bad pass interference call gives Campbell a first down at the CU 42.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 5 beers into a 12 pack. I'll follow the updates.
Come on by when you finish your pack.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:31 PM
12-yard TD pass from Kameron Bryant to Simms McElfresh. ASU 10, Campbell 0. 3:55 left in the first period.

10 plays, 79 yards, 3:32 on the drive.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:32 PM
One of the interesting story lines tonight is junior defensive tackle Greg Milhouse, a talented player who transferred from App State to Campbell. He has looked good thus far.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Another ASU TD pass, 21 yards, Bryant to TE Barrett Burns with 14:54 left in the second period. App State 17, Campbell 0.

7 plays, 58 yards, 2:08 on the drive.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Freshman RB Terrence Upshaw showed his speed and durability on that drive for the Mountaineers. Upshaw became the first player in 40 years to rush for 100 yards in his first game last week at Michigan.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Taylor Lamb, the son of former Furman star QB and coach Bobby Lamb, had a real nice completion to Burns on his first play.

13-yard scoring run for Upshaw makes it ASU 24, Campbell 0 with 12:15 left in the second period.

3 plays, 52 yards, 59 seconds on the drive.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Nice kick return by Campbell to the Camel 43.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Pick six for ASU's Doug Middleton. ASU 31, Campbell 0.

JayJ79
September 6th, 2014, 06:08 PM
so an FBS team is playing a non-scholly team? That's pretty bad.

I like matchups between FBS and scholarship FCS teams. Sure, many of them might be one-sided, but there are still plenty of competitive games and even the occasional upset.

That's not the case when an FBS team plays a non-scholly. (plus, I believe there is a minimum scholarship requirement in order for a win to count towards bowl eligibility for the FBS squad. not that that's applicable to ASU this year, but still)

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Lamb with a 39-yard TD pass to McElfresh. First TD pass of Lamb's career.

3 plays, 44 yards, 59 seconds on the drive

ASU 38, Campbell 0, 7:11 left in the half.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 06:13 PM

I like matchups between FBS and scholarship FCS teams. Sure, many of them might be one-sided, but there are still plenty of competitive games and even the occasional upset.

That's not the case when an FBS team plays a non-scholly. (plus, I believe there is a minimum scholarship requirement in order for a win to count towards bowl eligibility for the FBS squad. not that that's applicable to ASU this year, but still)
This is the second week in a row that Campbell has been in this situation. The Camels lost to UNC-Charlotte last week.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Marcus Cox smashes in from two yards out a couple of plays after fumbling near the goal line. App State 45, Campbell 0, 1:04 left in the first half.

13 plays, 57 yards, 4:11 on the scoring drive.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 06:57 PM
There has been a lightning strike in the area and as teams were returning to the field for the second half, play has been suspended for at least 30 minutes.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Now heavy rain is pouring down at Kidd Brewer Stadium as the crowd has been evacuated. Don't expect many fans back for the second half. Party time is starting in Boone.

- - - Updated - - -

It was the most first-half points for App State in a game since the Mountaineers scored 45 points on the way to a 79-35 victory over Western Carolina on Nov. 10, 2007.

ASU could have scored 100 that day against the Catamounts if it had decided not to run up the score.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 07:49 PM
The second half is ready to resume after a 52-minute delay.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Two-yard TD run by Marcus Cox after his long run put the Mountaineers in scoring position. App State 52, Campbell 0.

4 plays, 39 yards with 7:50 left in the third period.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Ricky Ferguson with a 10-yard score for ASU. 1:19 left in the third period. App State 59, Campbell 0.

Mr. C
September 6th, 2014, 09:36 PM
After another Ferguson scoring run, final score from Boone: App State 66, Campbell 0.

whoanellie
September 6th, 2014, 11:03 PM
did they end w/ a running clock?

Saint3333
September 7th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Dave many fans are already talking making Lamb the starter. I think he looks good for a r FR. But it may be too early based of the competition to date. Thoughts or thoughts for those around you yesterday?

Apphole
September 7th, 2014, 08:32 AM

This is not our practice. Last night's game was a last minute filler for what would have been our return trip to McNeese State. After the FBS announcement we could no longer travel to an FCS venue and we had a relatively short time to find an opponent for the week.

Judging by the Cowboys' performance last night I'd say it was a godsend.

JayJ79
September 7th, 2014, 09:37 AM
This is not our practice. Last night's game was a last minute filler for what would have been our return trip to McNeese State. After the FBS announcement we could no longer travel to an FCS venue and we had a relatively short time to find an opponent for the week.

is that an NcAA rule or a conference rule or just "status quo"?

Apphole
September 7th, 2014, 09:39 AM
is that an NcAA rule or a conference rule or just "status quo"?

I know it's a rule. I'm not sure if it's imposed by the conference or the NCAA.

JayJ79
September 7th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I know it's a rule. I'm not sure if it's imposed by the conference or the NCAA.

I highly doubt the NCAA has such a rule. Must be a Sun Belt thing.

Apphole
September 7th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I highly doubt the NCAA has such a rule. Must be a Sun Belt thing.

If it is a Sun Belt rule, every other FBS conference shares it. It's not a "Sun Belt thing."

T-Dog
September 7th, 2014, 10:47 AM
It's a Sun Belt rule. The MAC doesn't have that rule.

Despite Coulson's quip about attendance, we still have just under 26k for a team that went 4-8 last year on a rainy night. Ticket sales for the next home game (Oct 4 vs USA) are very strong.

The game was what it was. Preserving the shutout (first in 8 years) was good. Campbell self-destructed at times really badly.

And now citdog will saunter in and tell me to scram.

Saint3333
September 8th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Dave, so no insight into Lamb?

PhillyApp1
September 9th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Dave, so no insight into Lamb?

Mr. C, Can you tell us your opinion on the new coaches at APP and the growth of APP players?

I think we are moving in the growth direction. The size and speed is noticable.