PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared - Week 2

superman7515
September 6th, 2014, 12:13 PM
So I'm putting this out early again this week, but for a different reason. There's a fairly good chance it will be pretty late when I get done with this. The Delaware vs Delaware State game is at 6 pm tonight; currently we have thunderstorms scheduled to start at 2 pm growing to heavy thunderstorms at 6 pm, and continuing on and off until sometime between 1 am and 2 am Real American Time.

By NCAA rule, a single lightning strike within 8 miles of the stadium requires a one hour delay, and every time lightning strikes within that 8 mile radius, the clock restarts. In other words, we have the potential to be there for a very long time tonight, haha. So while it's not a guarantee that it will be a late night, there's always the chance the weather does something unexpected, my apologies in advance if this is not completed in a timely manner.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdEdVMmNtX0lNRXp4Mk9IdnRwZmVXQ nc&usp=sharing

You'll notice I added a "change" field that shows whether a team is moving up or down from the previous week and how much. While this probably isn't something that will have an affect on your poll, I thought it would be interesting to me (and my stat brother Clenz) to compare how teams are moving in the poll. A lot of interesting info for us over a season like how geography, conference affiliation, preseason rankings, etc affect a team in the poll.

If you see any errors, please send me a note to let me know so that it can be fixed and thanks as always for making this the #1 tool on AGS for helping with your polls.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2014, 12:15 PM
So I'm putting this out early again this week, but for a different reason. There's a fairly good chance it will be pretty late when I get done with this. The Delaware vs Delaware State game is at 6 pm tonight; currently we have thunderstorms scheduled to start at 2 pm growing to heavy thunderstorms at 6 pm, and continuing on and off until sometime between 1 am and 2 am Real American Time.

By NCAA rule, a single lightning strike within 8 miles of the stadium requires a one hour delay, and every time lightning strikes within that 8 mile radius, the clock restarts. In other words, we have the potential to be there for a very long time tonight, haha. So while it's not a guarantee that it will be a late night, there's always the chance the weather does something unexpected, my apologies in advance if this is not completed in a timely manner.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdEdVMmNtX0lNRXp4Mk9IdnRwZmVXQ nc&usp=sharing

You'll notice I added a "change" field that shows whether a team is moving up or down from the previous week and how much. While this probably isn't something that will have an affect on your poll, I thought it would be interesting to me (and my stat brother Clenz) to compare how teams are moving in the poll. A lot of interesting info for us over a season like how geography, conference affiliation, preseason rankings, etc affect a team in the poll.

If you see any errors, please send me a note to let me know so that it can be fixed and thanks as always for making this the #1 tool on AGS for helping with your polls.

I did not see this prior to sending the pm so disregard if you won't be able to roll on that.

Fear the Bird
September 6th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Nice addition Supe..hoping for a weather miracle today down in Newark leaving NJ shortly

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 12:56 PM
The ncaa requires an hour?

Holy damn. I think the NFHS only requires a half hour and 12 miles

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

superman7515
September 6th, 2014, 01:15 PM
The ncaa requires an hour?

Holy damn. I think the NFHS only requires a half hour and 12 miles

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's why the Idaho @ Florida game ended up getting cancelled. The lightning kept pushing the game back later and later and a game can't resume after midnight.

superman7515
September 6th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Nice addition Supe..hoping for a weather miracle today down in Newark leaving NJ shortly

Not looking good FTB. Getting dark out, winds up over 20 mph right now at the weather station at the stadium, temp just dropped from 90.9 to 82.0 in under 15 minutes.

Fear the Bird
September 6th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Not looking good FTB. Getting dark out, winds up over 20 mph right now at the weather station at the stadium, temp just dropped from 90.9 to 82.0 in under 15 minutes.

We have survived so far supe but heard stadium was evacuated about 20 minutes ago can you confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superman7515
September 6th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Sorry so late bud. Next weather update at 18:30 hours, teams need 90 min for pregame warmups, as of this minute earliest kickoff would be 20:00 hrs. Radar isn't looking good, I've walked over to TGI Fridays if I can buy ya a drink.

RabidRabbit
September 6th, 2014, 07:17 PM
With the deferral of UD/Del St. does that shift the voting window to start after the end of the UD/DSU game? IMHO, doesn't shift the close time.

superman7515
September 6th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I sent a text to UAH to let him know that the game was delayed until noon tomorrow since he was going to be late getting in anyway. Didn't hear anything back, so I'm not sure if the poll is opening at the normal time or not at this moment. I can't imagine it would delay the closing of the poll on Monday either way.

superman7515
September 6th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Just some scores for poll discussion...

Villanova absolutely dominated Fordham.
Eastern Washington hung in tough with Washington, big props to McNeese State as well playing toe-to-toe with Nebraska.
North Carolina A&T lost to #5 Coastal Carolina 31-30, missed an XP that would have given them a 31-24 lead over the Chanticleers late in the 4th quarter, so the Aggies played the #5 team very close.
#36 Charleston Southern with their second straight sub-D1 opponent, edged the Newberry Wolves 16-10.

WestCoastAggie
September 6th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Let's get A&T some votes. Also, Alabama State is handling Tennessee State 27-8 in the 4th quarter.

RabidRabbit
September 6th, 2014, 08:31 PM

Eastern Washington hung in tough with Washington, big props to McNeese State as well playing toe-to-toe with Nebraska.
North Carolina A&T lost to #5 Coastal Carolina 31-30, missed an XP that would have given them a 31-24 lead over the Chanticleers late in the 4th quarter, so the Aggies played the #5 team very close.
#36 Charleston Southern with their second straight sub-D1 opponent, edged the Newberry Wolves 16-10.

Yes, McNeese St may get voted "up" despite loss. Going toe-to-toe with Hoooooskers is a big accomplishment. Likewise, UDub vs EDub was another offensive shoot-out. It will be interesting if EWU ever encounters a defensive power.

Texas
September 6th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Yes, McNeese St may get voted "up" despite loss. Going toe-to-toe with Hoooooskers is a big accomplishment. Likewise, UDub vs EDub was another offensive shoot-out. It will be interesting if EWU ever encounters a defensive power.

McNeese in my book like the best program this weekend.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I know EWU and Big Sky fans get all pissy about this every week..but...

No, they won't. The Big Sky isn't a great defensive conference. EWU will likely steam roll everyone else on their schedule putting up 55 plus points per week until they get to Montana which will probably look a lot like the SHSU/EWU game....or a defensive slugfest.

EWU has a great offense but it will be interesting to see what they look like vs a team that takes pride in stopping someone or not just having 11 bodies on the field and calling it a defense.

MTfan4life
September 6th, 2014, 09:42 PM
EWU has a great offense but it will be interesting to see what they look like vs a team that takes pride in stopping someone or not just having 11 bodies on the field and calling it a defense.

Yes, the Big Sky defense has been super poor lately, but isn't this what a lot of people said last season before they scored more on SDSU than any other FCS team did last season?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I'll be interested to see if Fordham drops out of the rankings all together. Given their performance and injury concerns I think it's safe to say they are nowhere near the team many thought....

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Yes, the Big Sky defense has been super poor lately, but isn't this what a lot of people said last season before they scored more on SDSU than any other FCS team did last season?

Common misconception...SDSU wasn't a great defensive team last season. They were slightly above average but gave up at least 26 points 6 times and over 30 4 times.

Only games they gave up less than 20 were Butler, Western Illinois, Indiana State, South Dakota, Youngstown State (in the midst of their 3 game slide to end the season) and Northern Arizona

Notice a theme with the vast majority of those?

That defense also gave up 28 to UND and 35 to Missouri State

They gave up nearly 400 yards of offense per game last season with 4.5 yards per carry and almost 8 yards per pass attempt (over 13 on completions) which averaged to just a touch under 6 yards per play given up

Hell, looking at the stats it's pretty clear SDSU won despite their defense last season. They finished 7th in the conference in run D, 4th in scoring (24 ppg), 7th in pass defense, 9th in total defense, and 7th in pass defense efficiency. The only reason SDSU was able to stay in games/win a lot of the games they did was the fact that somehow SDSU drew 88 penalties on the season while only being called for 53 and coming up with a conference best +15 TO margin.

SDSU's defense was okay, but probably bottom half of the MVFC.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be interested to see if Fordham drops out of the rankings all together. Given their performance and injury concerns I think it's safe to say they are nowhere near the team many thought....

Big drop coming from me, but the bottom of the poll is pretty weak. They might just hold on. Remember a good voter doesn't vote in a vacuum based on records.

I thought Nova would win, but I thought it would be a better game than that

skinny_uncle
September 6th, 2014, 10:02 PM

SIU 38 EIU 21 deserves a little discussion.

MTfan4life
September 6th, 2014, 10:03 PM
All I said was they scored more points on them than any other FCS team. You can spit out all of that junk, but it doesn't disprove what I said.

BEAR
September 6th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Sammy got me confused.

smilo
September 6th, 2014, 10:16 PM
I think there's a clear top 12 right now. Just replace Fordham with Southern Illinois from last week's rankings. After that, I have really no clue. There's just a gigantic gap. Teams 13-30 all feel like they should be ranked 18-22, but obviously they can't all be in that range. SIU seems to be more highly thought of on this board than by the experts/coaches, so I hope they manage to make the big jump.

I think Fordham probably should be kept in. I mean, they are a somewhat known quantity. If Richmond got beat that bad against an FCS team, then maybe, but Nebrich is too good. Obviously they've always been overrated due to the semi-fluky wins against an overhyped Villanova team reeling from a ton of injuries after the BC game plus an "FBS" win against Temple who was just horrible last season. The only thing keeping everyone from ranking them lower was that Nebrich was able to take over against bad teams. Towson really showed us just how elite Fordham is. Nebrich threw for 400 yards, and they still got blown out. The defense is that weak. I think they are top 25 by virtue of there not being 25 better teams, but if they have to face a top 10 team, it won't be pretty as we saw with Towson last year and Villanova today. Fordham still has what it takes to be a 2nd round of the playoff team (so, top 16 or so), but I will have to drop them just a little further than that for now after a performance like that and short-term health concerns. If they drew Sacred Heart again in the first round, it would probably be even more competitive than last year, and last year was a close one.

Nebrich is the whole team. See Lafayette/Bucknell games.

RE: McNeese St, major plus today. I originally thought they would be competitive but the pessimistic fans on this board made me take caution. I'm thinking top 10 for them.

My big question: Is it legitimate to switch NDSU to #1 this week? They really struggled with Weber, but EWU has really proven that their defense was that bad. I highly doubt they would beat either NDSU or UNI now. Those teams play well on both sides of the ball. (Like Villanova! I ought to be giving them more consideration than I am, but I'll avoid homer bias for now.) The top 6 (maybe 7?) are really tough to rank at this point though seem to be a notch above the rest.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2014, 10:20 PM
I will likely keep Fordham in the poll basically by default. I think the graduation of Koonce was a bigger deal than some thought. He was the one that entered 2013 with a lot of hype, not Nebrich. He was very solid last despite being overshadowed by the passing game. I think there's simply been too much pressure put on Mike this year. He can't do it all himself....

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 10:22 PM
My big question: Is it legitimate to switch NDSU to #1 this week? They really struggled with Weber, but EWU has really proven that their defense was that bad. I highly doubt they would beat either NDSU or UNI now. Those teams play well on both sides of the ball. (Like Villanova! I ought to be giving them more consideration than I am, but I'll avoid homer bias for now.) The top 6 (maybe 7?) are really tough to rank at this point though seem to be a notch above the rest.

NDSU/UNI will be 1/2 in my poll.

NDSU likely #1...not because I think that is the case right now, but some archaic rule that states a poll can't be accepted if you are the only person to vote for that team.

So, as much as I rail about putting work into your poll I have no choice but to fall into line with group think and click submit with a small touch of shame.

Cocky
September 6th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Isn't Fordham's last yr DC our DC now? I guess I should look it up but I'm lazy.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2014, 10:26 PM
I think I'm going to give 'Nova the nod at #2. I saw them in person last week and was thoroughly impressed. The impressiveness was only increased today.

CCU is another team I like. They've played two legitimate FCS teams and have won. Not many teams have done that....

NDSU, Nova, UNI, CCU, SIU and McNeese have all looked good...

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I think I'm going to give 'Nova the nod at #2. I saw them in person last week and was thoroughly impressed. The impressiveness was only increased today.

CCU is another team I like. They've played two legitimate FCS teams and have won. Not many teams have done that....

Other than being a "fully funded" FCS team, what about NCAT is "legitimate"?

In the last decade they are 34-77

CCU actually hurt themselves a bit today in my book. Not a ton, but some

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Other than being a "fully funded" FCS team, what about NCAT is "legitimate"?

In the last decade they are 34-77

CCU actually hurt themselves a bit today in my book. Not a ton, but some

Heading into the game it seemed like NC A&T was a much improved team that was capable of giving CCU a good game. That was the impression I got reading up on this game.

I know the Aggies have struggled recently but perhaps they are indeed a solid team this year. They had a really good RB a decade + ago....forget his name

superman7515
September 6th, 2014, 10:35 PM
SIU 38 EIU 21 deserves a little discussion.

Game wasn't over when I posted.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 10:38 PM
SIU did exactly what I thought they would to EIU.

I called a 3 or 4 score W on the FCS wedge this week - seriously, go listen. That caused Kevin to question my pick some but I was pretty damn close - and it was technically still a 3 score game.

I am, however, a little concerned by SIUs defense giving up that many yards. I know EIU didn't score a ton, and they have a dynamic offense, but the total yards given up does give me a seconds worth of pause

Big_Fan
September 6th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Isn't Fordham's last yr DC our DC now? I guess I should look it up but I'm lazy.

Yes. David Blackwell.

Our defense is looking very good.

dewey
September 6th, 2014, 10:39 PM
The dilemma I have with EWU is how much do you punish them for a FBS loss to Washington even though there defense looms like dog poop.

Thoughts?

Dewey

superman7515
September 6th, 2014, 10:41 PM
NDSU likely #1...not because I think that is the case right now, but some archaic rule that states a poll can't be accepted if you are the only person to vote for that team.

The rule is that your poll will not be accepted if you are the only person to vote for YOUR team. For example, when Eastern Washington defeated Delaware in the 2010 NC game, the Eagles were not the unanimous #1 at the end of the season. There was a #1 vote for Delaware AND it was not from a Delaware supporter. It is done to prevent homerism, not to promote group think.

taper
September 6th, 2014, 10:44 PM
I haven't had Fordham in my poll yet, and definitely won't now. Can't see how anybody can objectively vote for them. Strength of schedule does matter.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 10:46 PM
The rule is that your poll will not be accepted if you are the only person to vote for YOUR team. For example, when Eastern Washington defeated Delaware in the 2010 NC game, the Eagles were not the unanimous #1 at the end of the season. There was a #1 vote for Delaware AND it was not from a Delaware supporter. It is done to prevent homerism, not to promote group think.

It is promoting group think.

It's pretty damn funny that I can't vote UNI number one because I'd be a homer, even though they are a top 3-4 team on almost every ballot.

Based on what I've seen this far I have my reasons for why I'd vote that way, but they fall on deaf ears....

Oh well, NDSU gets my #1 vote.

Oh...also I change my support to Mississippi Valley State this season.....just so you, and the rest of the committee knows that.

Oh, and voting a team that will likely be #3 or 4 in the poll is being a homer, but throwing Indiana State into the top 20 won't be.

taper
September 6th, 2014, 10:46 PM
The dilemma I have with EWU is how much do you punish them for a FBS loss to Washington even though there defense looms like dog poop.

Thoughts?

Dewey

Most of the FCS would have lost that game, and EWU lost by less than most would. Just reinforced my view that they have great offense and no defense.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Most of the FCS would have lost that game, and EWU lost by less than most would. Just reinforced my view that they have great offense and no defense.

Mostly this.

I knocked them down 1 spot in my poll because they have zero defense...none...

They do, however, have a great offense.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 10:49 PM
I'd also add I had UNI preseason #1...along with others.

So but many others base their voting on an record vacuum, so since UNI lost at Iowa they can't be #1...clearly

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2014, 10:50 PM
I don't know how you could vote UNI #1 based on a moral victory against a solid, but far from spectacular FBS team. If that's the case I think McNeese State deserves some consideration too.

centennial
September 6th, 2014, 10:50 PM
It is promoting group think.

It's pretty damn funny that I can't vote UNI number one because I'd be a homer, even though they are a top 3-4 team on almost every ballot.

Based on what I've seen this far I have my reasons for why I'd vote that way, but they fall on deaf ears....

Oh well, NDSU gets my #1 vote.

Oh...also I change my support to Mississippi Valley State this season.....just so you, and the rest of the committee knows that.

Oh, and voting a team that will likely be #3 or 4 in the poll is being a homer, but throwing Indiana State into the top 20 won't be.
If you guys had beaten Iowa, I think a lot of people would support you. As for now, till we get into valley play its hard to say which team is better.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 10:53 PM
I don't know how you could vote UNI #1 based on a moral victory against a solid, but far from spectacular FBS team. If that's the case I think McNeese State deserves some consideration too.

EWU has no defense. I like their offense, but don't like them against UNI or NDSUs defense.

That puts EWU at 3.

It then comes down to UNI/NDSU. Week 1 their performances, other than the fact NDSU played Iowa State and won, were equal, IMO.

UNI was my preseason #1 so with those performances equal I defaulted back to who was #1 in my poll the week before - UNI.

This week UNI was off and NDSU didn't look great against WSU. Not bad, but not enough to jump them over a team that didn't play.

Again, I'm being told to fall in line with the group thinking that it HAS to be NDSU or EWU and it can't be anyone else.

Cocky
September 6th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Don't forget SEMO who played Kansas tough today.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 10:55 PM
If you guys had beaten Iowa, I think a lot of people would support you. As for now, till we get into valley play its hard to say which team is better.

If the teams are even - as most UNI and NDSU fans seem to agree why is it so asinine to believe that UNI is deserving of a vote?

I get the "homerism" side of things. I'd get it if UNI was falling between 7, or worse, in every single poll. However, they were 4th last week and 3rd (I think) preseason.

Why is it an issue that a top 5 team gets a first place vote from someone that follows that team?

Cocky
September 6th, 2014, 10:56 PM
EWU has no defense. I like their offense, but don't like them against UNI or NDSUs defense.

That puts EWU at 3.

It then comes down to UNI/NDSU. Week 1 their performances, other than the fact NDSU played Iowa State and won, were equal, IMO.

UNI was my preseason #1 so with those performances equal I defaulted back to who was #1 in my poll the week before - UNI.

This week UNI was off and NDSU didn't look great against WSU. Not bad, but not enough to jump them over a team that didn't play.

Again, I'm being told to fall in line with the group thinking that it HAS to be NDSU or EWU and it can't be anyone else.
it can be anyone except the team you support the most unless someone else votes for them. I can't vote JSU No. 1 either because no one else will vote for them this week.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 10:59 PM
it can be anyone except the team you support the most unless someone else votes for them. I can't vote JSU No. 1 either because no one else will vote for them this week.

Nor should they be voted for.

Again, there's a HUGE difference between voting for JSU #1 and UNI right now.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this though...it's clear I can't have UNI #1 because, even though I believe they are the best team right now, doing great amounts of research to come up with a poll to submit is only accepted if you don't think highly of your own team - unless everyone else does.

Again, does it really matter now that I've switched my fandom to Mississippi Valley State?

I watched them get crushed by Illinois State tonight, but really liked what I saw from them.

superman7515
September 6th, 2014, 11:01 PM
If the teams are even - as most UNI and NDSU fans seem to agree why is it so asinine to believe that UNI is deserving of a vote?

I get the "homerism" side of things. I'd get it if UNI was falling between 7, or worse, in every single poll. However, they were 4th last week and 3rd (I think) preseason.

Why is it an issue that a top 5 team gets a first place vote from someone that follows that team?

Tilting at the wrong windmill bud. The rules haven't changed since you or I registered; almost 6 years for you and last week is when it became a problem that you verbalized despite having had numerous off-seasons to say something about it. There are things that have been changed over the different transitions, but no one from either of the last two ownership groups has changed things on us in the middle of the poll. I assure you that those folks put in a considerable amount of time and finances to this site and at no time was the thought "Let's screw UNI" a factor in the equation.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Tilting at the wrong windmill bud. The rules haven't changed since you or I registered; almost 6 years for you and last week is when it became a problem that you verbalized despite having had numerous off-seasons to say something about it. There are things that have been changed over the different transitions, but no one from either of the last two ownership groups has changed things on us in the middle of the poll. I assure you that those folks put in a considerable amount of time and finances to this site and at no time was the thought "Let's screw UNI" a factor in the equation.I've brought this up before, when it had nothing to do with UNI.

However, the typical "that's the way it always has been" has always been the reply so I'd given up on it until my poll was altered, without my knowledge, last week.

Cocky
September 6th, 2014, 11:04 PM
UNI should not be voted No. 1. What have they done? Loss to an Iowa team? That is impressive.
The rule is set up to eliminate homers like anyone who would vote UNI No. 1 at this point of the season. Don't lose 5 games in your reg season and you may get some support or just beat NDSU and you will get plenty.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 11:08 PM
UNI should not be voted No. 1. What have they done? Loss to an Iowa team? That is impressive.
The rule is set up to eliminate homers like anyone who would vote UNI No. 1 at this point of the season. Don't lose 5 games in your reg season and you may get some support or just beat NDSU and you will get plenty.

1. I think UNI is better than every other team right now. I don't know why losing to a B10 team, on the road, changes what I think UNI would do against FCS teams.

2. What the **** does last season have to do with this seasons poll? Seriously, answer that ****ing question.

3. So, UNI can't get any votes until they play NDSU? You realize that doesn't happen until freaking November, right? So, if UNI goes into that game with 1 loss and everyone else has at least one loss (hypothetically speaking) UNI still can't have a #1 vote because they didn't beat NDSU yet?

You mean to tell me that isn't group think?

Cocky
September 6th, 2014, 11:13 PM
1. I think UNI is better than every other team right now. I don't know why losing to a B10 team, on the road, changes what I think UNI would do against FCS teams.

2. What the **** does last season have to do with this seasons poll? Seriously, answer that ****ing question.

3. So, UNI can't get any votes until they play NDSU? You realize that doesn't happen until freaking November, right? So, if UNI goes into that game with 1 loss and everyone else has at least one loss (hypothetically speaking) UNI still can't have a #1 vote because they didn't beat NDSU yet?

i could insert JSU with UNI and it would be the same. You would call me a homer.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 11:15 PM
i could insert JSU with UNI and it would be the same. You would call me a homer.

I would say getting your **** stuffed in by a big 10 team would disqualify you from #1 consideration.

I would also question how a team that most have between 10-16 in their polls is getting a #1 vote.

I don't really question how a team that almost everyone has in their top 5 getting a #1 vote.

I suppose we could make it real easy for the coming years. You aren't allowed to vote for you team at all...period. Take any form of homerism out.

centennial
September 6th, 2014, 11:18 PM

Why are you so mad? If UNI is number 1 you will win the NC. All this arbitrary stuff is to pass time for football geeks.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Why are you so mad? If UNI is number 1 you will win the NC. All this arbitrary stuff is to pass time for football geeks.

I wouldn't say mad. Although, slightly perturbed my poll was changed without asking me last week - though I've had private discussions about that one after the fact so I'm going to leave that alone.

Given that logic there should be no AGS poll. #1 will win the title, no need for a poll.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2014, 11:21 PM
If UNI backed up their play today maybe I could see some justification, as it is I simply can't. I watched some of the Ball State and Iowa game today and the Hawkeyes were lucky to win that game. BSU is solid but they're still trying to find their offense after replacing some big time players.

I think Villanova has a better case than UNI. The Wildcats have an equally, if not more, impressive moral victory backed up with a dominating win over a consensus (TSN/Coaches/AGS) Top 15/25 team....

How many points should UNI be favored by against Hawaii?

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 11:21 PM
I guess we'll see if there's any issue with any of my other votes this week...........

Cocky
September 6th, 2014, 11:22 PM
After the way Iowa looked today some maybe questioning their placement of UNI. Iowa is an avg B1G team at least MSU is one of the better ones. After today I'm not sure the B1G has a good team.

I watched the game against Iowa and UNI is a decent team. World beaters no but should be competitive with most teams.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 11:22 PM
If UNI backed up their play today maybe I could see some justification, as it is I simply can't. I watched some of the Ball State and Iowa game today and the Hawkeyes were lucky to win that game. BSU is solid but they're still trying to find their offense after replacing some big time players.

I think Villanova has a better case than UNI. The Wildcats have an equally, if not more, impressive moral victory backed up with a dominating win over a consensus (TSN/Coaches/AGS) Top 15/25 team....
And I would have ZERO issue with anyone making a case for Villanova, even it was a Nova fan.

Zero issues...none.

How could UNI have backed their play up today? They didn't play

This could all change next week depending what UNI looks like at Hawaii. I'll get a chance to reevaluate them at that point.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 6th, 2014, 11:24 PM

How many points should UNI be favored by against Hawaii?

Villanova does look good this year!

centennial
September 6th, 2014, 11:25 PM
And I would have ZERO issue with anyone making a case for Villanova, even it was a Nova fan.

Zero issues...none.

How could UNI have backed their play up today? They didn't play?

This could all change next week depending what UNI looks like at Hawaii. I'll get a chance to reevaluate them at that point.
Beat Hawaii by 4 touchdowns and a lot of people would consider UNI for #1.

clenz
September 6th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Beat Hawaii by 4 touchdowns and a lot of people would consider UNI for #1.

Doubtful.

Don't have to worry about UNI get any homer votes, of ANY kind, from me from now until the end of the season though....so this conversation can stop now

MTfan4life
September 6th, 2014, 11:39 PM
I suppose we could make it real easy for the coming years. You aren't allowed to vote for you team at all...period. Take any form of homerism out.

Decent idea, but hard to do with the imbalance of voters' teams versus the tons of teams who don't have fans voting. That works more when things are equal across the board.

For me, I'm split on the debate. However, I think that if it was allowed, there should be a designation next to the lone number one vote received that it was a homer vote.

dudeitsaid
September 6th, 2014, 11:48 PM
EWU has really proven that their defense was that bad. I highly doubt they would beat either NDSU or UNI now.

I think EWU's defense is certainly no juggernaut, and is my biggest concern for our ability to succeed this year. That being said, many FCS teams get scored heavy on by decent FBS teams, of which I think UW will show themselves to be through the season. But in most cases, those FBS teams scoring are tempered by the fact most FCS offenses can't keep up with them, and they throw in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th string, waterboys, equipment managers, and chearleaders in against them to get some playing time. UW had to keep their starters in the entire game to win, and they were fired up. In the interviews I heard, and in their behavior during play, those players were fired up, and wanted to beat EWU badly. They played EWU tough, and EWU overcame a 21-0 deficit to take the lead, and aside from that dang fumble towards the end, could have pushed the game to OT or won. That fumble killed us!

I just wonder how many of the top 25 REALLY would have held UW below 35 points, or would have been able to score nearly as much on them. It's just a different style. Defense wins championships...most of the time, but not always. If we can get a couple of stops and force other teams to try to keep up, I believe we can contend.

skinny_uncle
September 7th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Decent idea, but hard to do with the imbalance of voters' teams versus the tons of teams who don't have fans voting. That works more when things are equal across the board.

For me, I'm split on the debate. However, I think that if it was allowed, there should be a designation next to the lone number one vote received that it was a homer vote.
Guys would ways to work around it. It would not be that hard to create a second account claiming to be a fan of another school and then sneaking in your homer vote. It's probably already been done. I don't have a problem with guys voting for their own teams. If you don't believe your team is better than they are, why do they call us fans, which is short for fanatics?

Red & Black
September 7th, 2014, 01:59 AM

That puts EWU at 3.

Emmm...no. What has UNI done except lost to a bad Iowa team?

Red & Black
September 7th, 2014, 02:07 AM
My top 5:
1. NDSU - Stays at #1 by default. Kind of thought they'd have a much larger margin of victory over arguably the worst team in the Big Sky, but a win is a win.
2. EWU - We'll see how the season plays out, but when that offense is clicking there's not a team in the FCS that can stop it. Defense isn't going to dratically get better, but we won't see another team of Washington's caliber the rest of the year, so the D will look a lot better (statistically) as the year progresses.
3. Villanova - Just really impressive so far.
4. SELA
5. McNeese State

WestCoastAggie
September 7th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Heading into the game it seemed like NC A&T was a much improved team that was capable of giving CCU a good game. That was the impression I got reading up on this game.

I know the Aggies have struggled recently but perhaps they are indeed a solid team this year. They had a really good RB a decade + ago....forget his name

A&T beats Coastal 31 - 24 if we didn't Quick stays in for the XP and we avoid the Kickoff brain fart. The Aggies are young but a legit team this year.

And Lehigh, that RB from a decade ago is Maurice Hicks.

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2014, 02:43 AM
2. EWU - We'll see how the season plays out, but when that offense is icking there's not a team in the FCS that can stop it.
The problem is the defense is so bad it may not even be necessary to stop the offense more than once or twice in a game. If EWU plays a ball control offense like NDSU that keeps Adams on the sidelines I don't see them winning unless Adams is perfect. Sure it's possible but I'll take NDSU with a prolific ground game and iron clad defense over EWU with a prolific air attack and no defense.

MTfan4life
September 7th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Guys would ways to work around it. It would not be that hard to create a second account claiming to be a fan of another school and then sneaking in your homer vote. It's probably already been done. I don't have a problem with guys voting for their own teams. If you don't believe your team is better than they are, why do they call us fans, which is short for fanatics?

It'd be quite drastic if someone went through the process of creating a whole new persona as a fan of a different team, racking up 100 posts under that persona, and waiting a full year just to be able to register to vote, just so that they can give their home team a number one vote. If someone goes through all that trouble just to do so, they deserve to get their team a lone #1 vote.

MTfan4life
September 7th, 2014, 02:53 AM
My top 3:
1. NDSU - Stays at #1 by default. Kind if thought they'd have a much larger margin of victory over arguably the worst team in the Big Sky, but a win is a win.
2. EWU - We'll see how the season plays out, but when that offense is icking there's not a team in the FCS that can stop it. Defense isn't going to magically get drastically get better, but we won't see another team of Washington's caliber the rest of the year, so the D will look a lot better (statistically) as the year progrsses.
3. Villanova - Just really impressive so far.
4. SELA
5. McNeese State

I see that 3 goes all the way to 5 there in Washington. ;)

dungeonjoe
September 7th, 2014, 04:09 AM
I wouldn't say mad. Although, slightly perturbed my poll was changed without asking me last week - though I've had private discussions about that one after the fact so I'm going to leave that alone.

Given that logic there should be no AGS poll. #1 will win the title, no need for a poll.

I understand your frustration. I find your knowledge of the poll and FCS in general to be extraordinary. You obviously put a great deal of time researching and thinking about each week's poll. I look forward to your contributions to threads like these.

The thing is, there are several other people on this board and on the other board who have valuable opinions and knowledge of the FCS teams. I value their wisdom and experience too. The neat thing about this poll is that wisdom and experience is blended together and makes for a worthwhile composite week to week. Yes, there are people voting like me who try really hard and fall short. But that imperfection is balanced with the greater whole. I guess I don't look at it as groupthink; but a worthwhile system of checks and balances that allow average FCS fans a voice in a national poll.

Finally, I hear the frustration in having your poll submission altered last week. I think the alteration speaks to the poll committee's respect for you that your submission was not entirely rejected, as it could have been (at least at one time).

Trust is is a hard thing to have in the world today. Harder still on a football message board with a group of strangers. This AGS poll process has withstood the test of time and has even changed along the way when it needed to. I trust the process, the people who run it and the voters who spend time thinking about it week to week. It is my experience that #1s come and go throughout the season. If UNI is as good as you say, it will be so as the season progresses.
I look forward to your informed and passionate posts as well as from the others I have come to value.

rokamortis
September 7th, 2014, 06:50 AM
A&T beats Coastal 31 - 24 if we didn't Quick stays in for the XP and we avoid the Kickoff brain fart. The Aggies are young but a legit team this year.

And Lehigh, that RB from a decade ago is Maurice Hicks.

There was still a ton of football after that even if you would have scored the XP. Like when we ran the kickoff back. And there were a couple of series after that. So pretty difficult to declare the game over just because your QB wasn't able to handle a snap on an XP with a lot of time left on the clock.

rokamortis
September 7th, 2014, 06:58 AM

I thought NCA&T was dangerous before our game - and we saw why yesterday. They have some extremely good athletes - RB and QB have speed that is amazing. Their discipline isn't there, but neither was ours tonight and that was the equalizer. We committed penalties we don't normally do and also made some really bad decisions on some throws. We turned the ball over 5 times and still won - I'd give half the credit to A&T to forcing the turnovers and half the blame for our team in allowing them.

NCA&T was very hyped up for this game - to help legitimize their program by taking down a top 5 team at home. I know the feeling, like when we beat JMU at home who was defending national champion. We were very hyped for the game and JMU wasn't. Fortunately we escaped with the win last night.

I think NCA&T should earn respect for their performance, even if it knocks Coastal down some.

WestCoastAggie
September 7th, 2014, 07:08 AM
There was still a ton of football after that even if you would have scored the XP. Like when we ran the kickoff back. And there were a couple of series after that. So pretty difficult to declare the game over just because your QB wasn't able to handle a snap on an XP with a lot of time left on the clock.

You do have a point there. You all may have scored on your drive after our score, tying up the game at 31 with Broadway possibly playing for OT OR a game winning FG.

Either way, it is very difficult to stop you all from putting up points and just moving your offense, period. Alex Ross is a damn good QB and your running game is top notch too. Even with the TO's and penalties, you all are a legit top 10-15 team. You all should have an easier time, unfortunately for the MEAC, with SC State and FAMU.

It's difficult to find a team that can beat you on your schedule. If you all play within yourselves, another 10 win season and top 10 ranking at the enc of the season isn't out of the question.

rokamortis
September 7th, 2014, 07:17 AM
You do have a point there. You all may have scored on your drive after our score, tying up the game at 31 with Broadway possibly playing for OT OR a game winning FG.

Either way, it is very difficult to stop you all from putting up points and just moving your offense, period. Alex Ross is a damn good QB and your running game is top notch too. Even with the TO's and penalties, you all are a legit top 10-15 team. You all should have an easier time, unfortunately for the MEAC, with SC State and FAMU.

It's difficult to find a team that can beat you on your schedule. If you all play within yourselves, another 10 win season and top 10 ranking at the enc of the season isn't out of the question.

Thanks - but I'm not as confident as you. We play some good teams. Some teams will be hyped up to play us, like A&T was, and if we turn the ball over 5 times again then they should be able to capitalize on it.

Red & Black
September 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM
The problem is the defense is so bad it may not even be necessary to stop the offense more than once or twice in a game. If EWU plays a ball control offense like NDSU that keeps Adams on the sidelines I don't see them winning unless Adams is perfect. Sure it's possible but I'll take NDSU with a prolific ground game and iron clad defense over EWU with a prolific air attack and no defense.

Don't worry, NDSU's ironclad defense wouldn't stop EWU's offense any better than UW did if they played today.

Our defense isn't going to magically get better overnight, but we won't see anyone like Washington the rest of the year. They'll get somewhat better as the year goes along...quite a few RS and True Freshman playjng out there. To be honest, I don't really care how many yards they give up. Where we need improvent is in the TO margin and getting a stop once in a blue moon.

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Don't worry, NDSU's ironclad defense wouldn't stop EWU's offense any better than UW did if they played today.

Our defense isn't going to magically get better overnight, but we won't see anyone like Washington the rest of the year. They'll get somewhat better as the year goes along...quite a few RS and True Freshman playjng out there. To be honest, I don't really care how many yards they give up. Where we need improvent is in the TO margin and getting a stop once in a blue moon.

Well see, if EWU is going to compete for an FCS Championship you'll see defenses much better than the one you saw yesterday. And if EWU's defense doesn't improve on the 6.5 yards per rush it's given up to SHSU and UW to this point this year I don't care how good the offense is, it's not a championship team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 7th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Well see, if EWU is going to compete for an FCS Championship you'll see defenses much better than the one you saw yesterday. And if EWU's defense doesn't improve on the 6.5 yards per rush it's given up to SHSU and UW to this point this year I don't care how good the offense is, it's not a championship team.

This right here!

EWU has an outstanding offense but their defense will be their liability when they come up against a team with a very good defense and ball control offense. UW's defense was not too good IMO.

But if EWU can turn a game into a track meet then there is no team that can keep up, including NDSU.

WestCoastAggie
September 7th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks - but I'm not as confident as you. We play some good teams. Some teams will be hyped up to play us, like A&T was, and if we turn the ball over 5 times again then they should be able to capitalize on it.

Just looking at your schedule, SC State, Furman and Liberty are your toughest remaining games, IMHO. With that in mind, I would expect Coastal to be favored in all games.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 7th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Anyone remember the Oregon State game last year? How did the season work out for EWU after that?

penguinpower
September 7th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Fordham, Coastal Carolina, Jacksonville State, and Richmond are overrated.

Red & Black
September 7th, 2014, 12:17 PM
This right here!

EWU has an outstanding offense but their defense will be their liability when they come up against a team with a very good defense and ball control offense. UW's defense was not too good IMO.

But if EWU can turn a game into a track meet then there is no team that can keep up, including NDSU.

I don't disagree. Defense is a huge liability right now and it's absolutely what has cost us competing for a NC the past two years. We'll see how it shakes out. There's a lot of experimentation/rotation going on right now with the defense. Three key players on the defensive line (Ebukam, Pulu, and Day) have been out with injuries so we have true Freshan playing a lot of reps. Day and Ebukam would be the starting ends on either side if they were healthy. Pulu would probably be the starter at DT. In the secondary, it's the same thing. Lots of injuries. I think the talent is there but we really need to get some guys healthy. Having a bye before we play Montana State will help.

Red & Black
September 7th, 2014, 12:21 PM

The UW defensive secondary is young, and we exploited that yesterday. That said, they have some incredible athletes all over the field. This is not Ty Willingham type talent, or even what Sarkisian was fielding his first couple of years at UW. There isn't an FCS team with that type of speed and athleticism all over the field.

knucklehead
September 7th, 2014, 12:43 PM
when does the poll open today?

dewey
September 7th, 2014, 02:15 PM
when does the poll open today?

The poll is open.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?159421-2014-AGS-POLL-Week-2-Vote-Is-Open

Dewey

superman7515
September 7th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Just got home so the spreadsheet is updated with the Delaware vs Delaware State results, all scores are listed now.

superman7515
September 7th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Sagarin ratings are completed and have been updated to reflect the games played this weekend.

MTfan4life
September 7th, 2014, 04:47 PM
For those who didn't see the box score, Chattanooga only had 111 yards of total offense at home against Jacksonville State. If not for two pick-sixes, and untimely penalties by JSU, that game would have never been close to overtime. It's just a reminder that it's always good to check the box score. Maybe Jacksonville State just has a lights out defense, but I had trouble ranking a Chattanooga team very high who struggled so much on offense and didn't really stop the run on defense either. They were very lucky to keep that game close, IMO.

Cocky
September 7th, 2014, 08:02 PM
For those who didn't see the box score, Chattanooga only had 111 yards of total offense at home against Jacksonville State. If not for two pick-sixes, and untimely penalties by JSU, that game would have never been close to overtime. It's just a reminder that it's always good to check the box score. Maybe Jacksonville State just has a lights out defense, but I had trouble ranking a Chattanooga team very high who struggled so much on offense and didn't really stop the run on defense either. They were very lucky to keep that game close, IMO.

UTC had -5 yards total offensive in the 1st half.
Our DL is as good as anybody in the nation. The other thing which hurt us was our coach went conservative in the 2nd half.

citdog
September 7th, 2014, 08:14 PM
our coach went conservative in the 2nd half.

Well your school IS located in the Great and Sovereign State of Alabama..........

BEAR
September 7th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Finished my poll.

There appears to be a gap between the top 5 or so and the rest. Some teams are coming on but the top 5 are really really strong!

NDSU still rolling.
EWU staying strong even in the loss.
SELA rolling.
McNeese on a roll and strong.
Vilanova playing well.

UCA coming on strong with games against Montana State and Missouri State coming up.

Montana and SDSU playing ball!

superman7515
September 8th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Bumping this up for any of you procrastinators like myself.