PDA

View Full Version : Why is it okay for FBS to play FCS, but not for FCS to play D-II?

ccd494
September 5th, 2014, 12:26 PM
In many threads on this board, an FCS team scheduling a lower division team is treated as if the FCS team has contracted leprosy. I understand the thought process, a team considered "legitimate" should play teams that are equally legitimate- they offer a similar number of scholarships (or grants in aid Lehigh), they are eligible for the national championship (or are conscientious objectors Harvard), etc.

However, when the Big 10 and other FBS conferences began to talk about not playing FCS teams any more, there was a major outcry on this board. I didn't understand the difference, frankly. Like it or not, we are all in this subdivision because we chose not to compete at the FBS level for whatever reason (didn't want to pay for the scholarships, true believers in the playoff model, outcry at the degradation of collegiate athletics' academic standards, what have you). Why are we entitled to play FBS teams, but D-II teams aren't entitled to play FCS teams in many FCS fans' eyes?

In other words, why can we gleefully cash checks from big time football schools, but not write smaller checks to smaller time football schools? I don't really see a distinction between the two.

Bogus Megapardus
September 5th, 2014, 12:30 PM
It seems to me that many FBS fans consider a game with an FCS school the same way.

ccd494
September 5th, 2014, 12:41 PM
It seems to me that many FBS fans consider a game with an FCS school the same way.

I agree. Which is why it smacks of hypocrisy that FCS fans feel entitled to play FBS teams, but look down on D-II games.

centennial
September 5th, 2014, 12:43 PM
In many threads on this board, an FCS team scheduling a lower division team is treated as if the FCS team has contracted leprosy. I understand the thought process, a team considered "legitimate" should play teams that are equally legitimate- they offer a similar number of scholarships (or grants in aid Lehigh), they are eligible for the national championship (or are conscientious objectors Harvard), etc.

However, when the Big 10 and other FBS conferences began to talk about not playing FCS teams any more, there was a major outcry on this board. I didn't understand the difference, frankly. Like it or not, we are all in this subdivision because we chose not to compete at the FBS level for whatever reason (didn't want to pay for the scholarships, true believers in the playoff model, outcry at the degradation of collegiate athletics' academic standards, what have you). Why are we entitled to play FBS teams, but D-II teams aren't entitled to play FCS teams in many FCS fans' eyes?

In other words, why can we gleefully cash checks from big time football schools, but not write smaller checks to smaller time football schools? I don't really see a distinction between the two.
You do know that a rule change last year made it so 1 DII is counted towards playoff eligibility? The problem is on the other side.. a good showing by DII doesn't mean anything to the DII playoff committee. Ferris State learned that the hard way after it played NDSU last season. No DII team that hopes for post season will play a DI FCS school without need for money.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 5th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Never was a fan of Georgia Southern scheduling DII games, and it's because of how the wins are treated and not because they are DII. If you play a good DII and beat them by 20, it counts for nothing in terms of postseason, but beating a PFL team or a lower-tier NEC team counts as a DI win. I know I'm sounding like MplsBison here, but I don't see why that should be the case. People forget that even though DII teams have fewer scholarships, there are also fewer restrictions at DII schools. That's why the transition period from DII to FCS is so long if I'm not mistaken.

On the other hand, an FBS beating Savannah State counts the same as an FBS team beating NDSU towards bowl eligibility.

Silenoz
September 5th, 2014, 12:44 PM
For the same reason that people get their panties in a twist when the FBS fans disrespect their team, but then turn around and do the same thing to their DII opponent: hypocrisy

PAllen
September 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM
As a Purdue fan, I hate it when the Boilermakers play FCS schools. Heck, hate it when they play the MAC. Most are OK with certain teams, like Army, Rice, Vandy, UMass, etc. who struggle to get wins against FBS powers playing one FCS game a year. The LSUs and Texas A&Ms of the world have no business playing a FCS squad. honestly, I don't those matchups from an FCS perspective either. I understand the need/desire for a money game, but losing by 4+ touchdowns to LSU (or even PITT) says nothing about the quality of the program. Playing a beatable local and/or traditional rival is fine. My issue is with the current scheduling of one or even two FBS blowouts, only to "balance" them with one or two sub D-I home blowouts. I'm sure teams could get some money playing preseason scrimmages against NFL teams and could probably arrange something with the local high school, but I don't see how that benefits the college football season either.

Texas
September 5th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Davidson just played a school that doesn't even exist.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

AmsterBison
September 5th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Well, FCS and FBS are a bit different. FBS didn't have a playoff so the goal for most programs is a bowl game for which the only real requirement is a .500 record. If you were guaranteed a playoff spot for winning 7 games in the FCS and you could count a D2 school, a lot of FCS schools would be scheduling D2s.

That said, just like in the FCS, there is a huge difference between the top and bottom of D2. In D2, while there are some programs there that are very tough (Northwest Missouri, Grand Valley State, Pittsburg "No-h" State, etc), the majority are weak enough that even when NDSU was still in D2, that the local media, not just fans, thought NDSU had no business playing them - even if those teams had been in the playoffs the year before.

DFW HOYA
September 5th, 2014, 12:54 PM
How many of your schools play sub-Division I opponents in basketball? Yes, there's a double standard at work.

dewey
September 5th, 2014, 12:56 PM
I don't have a problem with FCS schools scheduling a D2 school as a lot of times there are problems trying to find another option. I don't understand why an FCS school would schedule a D3 or NAIA school as those wins don't count toward playoff eligibility (right?). However it can sometimes get to the point where any game is better than no game I guess.

Dewey

Mattymc727
September 5th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Looks like UNH and Maine would prefer to play nobody than play down...Both have 11 game schedules and a bye this week.

jmufan999
September 5th, 2014, 01:02 PM

i agree. i think it's just arrogance.

that said, i don't want JMU playing D-II schools, but for different reasons. it's simply because it hurts our playoff resume later in the year. it's not because i wouldn't want to watch the game or because i think we're "too good" for the smaller schools. but that one game can keep you out of the playoffs. didn't that happen to Delaware a few years ago?

centennial
September 5th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I don't have a problem with FCS schools scheduling a D2 school as a lot of times there are problems trying to find another option. I don't understand why an FCS school would schedule a D3 or NAIA school as those wins don't count toward playoff eligibility (right?). However it can sometimes get to the point where any game is better than no game I guess.

Dewey
DII are partial counters depending on how good they are. Probably counts more than no scholarship, maybe as much as some partial scholarship schools.
I am all for playing one DII a year-
Pushes the lets get a beating for money no scholarship out to DII
Reduces the blackmailing for money that certain schools want
They are usually better to watch than watching a game vs no scholarship schools
For example- Ferris State last year would have taken Delaware St out to the woodshed.

SIUSalukiFan
September 5th, 2014, 01:31 PM
As a Purdue fan, I hate it when the Boilermakers play FCS schools. Heck, hate it when they play the MAC. Most are OK with certain teams, like Army, Rice, Vandy, UMass, etc. who struggle to get wins against FBS powers playing one FCS game a year. The LSUs and Texas A&Ms of the world have no business playing a FCS squad. honestly, I don't those matchups from an FCS perspective either. I understand the need/desire for a money game, but losing by 4+ touchdowns to LSU (or even PITT) says nothing about the quality of the program. Playing a beatable local and/or traditional rival is fine. My issue is with the current scheduling of one or even two FBS blowouts, only to "balance" them with one or two sub D-I home blowouts. I'm sure teams could get some money playing preseason scrimmages against NFL teams and could probably arrange something with the local high school, but I don't see how that benefits the college football season either.

You're gonna hate it even worse when Southern Illinois beats Purdue on Sept. 20. xcoolx

Professor Chaos
September 5th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Hypocrisy is the only answer. Just like we all know there are some FCS teams that are better than many FBS teams, there are some D2 teams that are better than many FCS teams. The only argument is that the NCAA used to not recognize D2 games when determining playoff eligibility/seeding. I had hope that with the new SRS system recognizing D2 teams it would improve the way those games are looked at in the eyes of the playoff committee but I still have doubts about whether or not the committee truly values a win over Grand Valley St moreso than a win over Drake. Similarly, I have doubts about whether the FBS College Playoff selection committee would truly value a win over Eastern Washington more than a win over Georgia St even though all of us who follow both subdivisions know EWU is the stronger team.

Bogus Megapardus
September 5th, 2014, 01:54 PM
How many of your schools play sub-Division I opponents in basketball? Yes, there's a double standard at work.

Sometimes we play one local sub-Division I team in a basketball season. It gives bench players a chance to play and it promotes local good will. In 1995, rather infamously (and well before we had scholarships), Swarthmore beat us 70-69. It was the rough equivalent of App State over Michigan. It happens, and you learn from it. Most Lafayette fans hate those games and at times our gym can be out-shouted by the very enthusiastic opposition.

EDIT - a few years before that the no-scholarship Pards beat Notre Dame at our place. So yeah, this stuff happens.

Cocky
September 5th, 2014, 02:15 PM
FCS and FBS are in the same division while FCS and DII are not.

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2014, 02:17 PM
My thing with D2/sub D-1 games against FCS is a little different than FBS playing FCS.

The talent gap is not nearly as large.

NAIA teams have 23 scholarships, D2 teams have 36. FCS has 63, FBS has 85.

It doesn't take a mathematician to see that the gap between FCS/FBS is smaller than FCS/D2/NAIA. Though in the case of FCS/D2 it's only a small difference, it's also important to see that, you basically can have your entire 2 deep + some extra players in the FCS/FBS, which helps for overall team depth.

It's important to realize here that we're equivocating scholarship player>non-scholarship player, and that's not always the case. With that said, most players probably either play for a team they really want to play for or the team that gives them a full scholarship. You'll see that more with players who are FBS vs FCS talent. In the case of sub-D1 teams, I don't think there are many players turning down D1 scholarships to play for Valdosta State, or if those players wouldn't receive scholarships on a lower level.

Perhaps the upper tier of players in each respective division could be successful at the higher level, but the fact is that very few teams at any level have enough of a collection of those players to be said to play at the same level.

Further, there's definitely an apples and oranges comparison when talking about FBS vs FCS or FCS vs other. There's the financial aspect as well. Big 5 conference schools probably make much more per game, regardless of opponent, than other D1 (FCS and FBS alike), so playing an FCS in the financial sphere isn't terrible. Further, when talking about those scholarship athletes, having inexperienced players play in garbage time for the reps is good for your program long-term.

You can definitely say that's the same with FCS vs other teams, but with few exception, the financial aspect is not there. FCS teams probably make less money scheduling the smaller schools than schools at our level(as evidence, Wofford is playing 2 sub-FCS teams this year due to an FCS cancellation, and two FBS teams next year).

Lastly, there's the element of the playoffs. In FCS, every game counts and your scheduling matters, more than in FBS. In FBS, they look more at style points and quality wins than the "meh" wins. Texas A&M can beat Sam Houston State by 2 scores, and they'll get a shrug from the FBS world, but that will wear off after they beat Alabama. If Wofford beats UNG by only 2 scores, that could hurt our playoff chances if we're a bubble team.

citdog
September 5th, 2014, 02:32 PM

This

Bison56
September 5th, 2014, 03:36 PM

Exactly.

melloware13
September 5th, 2014, 04:33 PM
i agree. i think it's just arrogance.

that said, i don't want JMU playing D-II schools, but for different reasons. it's simply because it hurts our playoff resume later in the year. it's not because i wouldn't want to watch the game or because i think we're "too good" for the smaller schools. but that one game can keep you out of the playoffs. didn't that happen to Delaware a few years ago?

Yeah, in 2011 we finished 7-4 (5-3 CAA) with one of the OOC wins against West Chester. It also was a crowded bubble, but I think if they had the current standard towards D-II games, UD would have been in the playoffs that season. I honestly preferred the games against West Chester to the Del State match-ups, because it was a more cordial environment and more competitive game. Also, being just 30 miles up the road, it kept the money closer despite it going over the state line.

Pard4Life
September 5th, 2014, 04:34 PM
People get caught up with labels. For example, D2 Bloomsburg would probably beat Georgetown and 25% of FCS.

SactoHornetFan
September 5th, 2014, 04:49 PM

You know why? Because basketball schools like your REFUSE to play home and home games with FCS schools. Your school like most the P5 practically play your entire non-conference schedule at home. You have no room to talk!!!

JayJ79
September 5th, 2014, 05:49 PM
It would be interesting to do a stats comparison as far as FBS vs. FCS matchups compared to FCS vs. D2 matchups, to see what percentage of games of each category are won by the lower (sub)division team, and what the average score differential tends to be. But I'm not aware of any type of stats database that could yield such queries.

bonarae
September 5th, 2014, 05:51 PM

The Ivies haven't played D2 or D3 schools in football in a long while. I don't know why they stopped this practice, but some of the region's best schools from the lower divisions that are playoff-eligible (e.g. New Haven) are somewhat better than PFL/Georgetown.

This. Apparently the FBS fans treat us the same way as well... xsmhx

I agree. Which is why it smacks of hypocrisy that FCS fans feel entitled to play FBS teams, but look down on D-II games.

I don't know how long the Ivies haven't played D2 teams. Maybe it was because of the scholarships of D2. Or maybe the hypocrisy that the PFL is the same level of what the opponents of Ivy football teams should be in the Presidents' point of view.

Harvard has an ongoing home series with MIT in men's basketball only. Even MIT goes to the Division III Big Dance, but they have been inconsistent as of late.

Think of the PFL teams. They regularly play NAIA/D3/D2/even USCAA teams early in the season. Well, Grand View is a top NAIA team, and they have beaten Drake 2 years in a row now.

Yes, true, but the top teams in the lower divisions can beat the weaklings in the upper divisions...

My thing with D2/sub D-1 games against FCS is a little different than FBS playing FCS.

The talent gap is not nearly as large.

NAIA teams have 23 scholarships, D2 teams have 36. FCS has 63, FBS has 85.

It doesn't take a mathematician to see that the gap between FCS/FBS is smaller than FCS/D2/NAIA. Though in the case of FCS/D2 it's only a small difference, it's also important to see that, you basically can have your entire 2 deep + some extra players in the FCS/FBS, which helps for overall team depth.

It's important to realize here that we're equivocating scholarship player>non-scholarship player, and that's not always the case. With that said, most players probably either play for a team they really want to play for or the team that gives them a full scholarship. You'll see that more with players who are FBS vs FCS talent. In the case of sub-D1 teams, I don't think there are many players turning down D1 scholarships to play for Valdosta State, or if those players wouldn't receive scholarships on a lower level.

Perhaps the upper tier of players in each respective division could be successful at the higher level, but the fact is that very few teams at any level have enough of a collection of those players to be said to play at the same level.

Further, there's definitely an apples and oranges comparison when talking about FBS vs FCS or FCS vs other. There's the financial aspect as well. Big 5 conference schools probably make much more per game, regardless of opponent, than other D1 (FCS and FBS alike), so playing an FCS in the financial sphere isn't terrible. Further, when talking about those scholarship athletes, having inexperienced players play in garbage time for the reps is good for your program long-term.

You can definitely say that's the same with FCS vs other teams, but with few exception, the financial aspect is not there. FCS teams probably make less money scheduling the smaller schools than schools at our level(as evidence, Wofford is playing 2 sub-FCS teams this year due to an FCS cancellation, and two FBS teams next year).

Lastly, there's the element of the playoffs. In FCS, every game counts and your scheduling matters, more than in FBS. In FBS, they look more at style points and quality wins than the "meh" wins. Texas A&M can beat Sam Houston State by 2 scores, and they'll get a shrug from the FBS world, but that will wear off after they beat Alabama. If Wofford beats UNG by only 2 scores, that could hurt our playoff chances if we're a bubble team.

This one too. Although some big-time (i.e. starred) recruits end up playing Ivy football, majority of the ones who shined by the end of their senior year (in the Ivies' case) did not have even any stars to begin with nor have that many awards even by their local HS leagues.

People get caught up with labels. For example, D2 Bloomsburg would probably beat Georgetown and 25% of FCS.

See Grand View also.

You know why? Because basketball schools like your REFUSE to play home and home games with FCS schools. Your school like most the P5 practically play your entire non-conference schedule at home. You have no room to talk!!!

Which sport's scheduling are you referring to? Football or men's basketball? xconfusedx

Yotes
September 5th, 2014, 06:02 PM
When an FBS team plays an FCS team it counts fully towards bowl eligibility. Until recently an FCS team got zero credit for playing a D2 team, and even now it's only partial credit. I have zero data to back up this claim, but I believe that the gap between FCS and D2 is greater than the gap between FCS and FBS.

Lots of fans from FBS schools still don't tolerate games against FCS schools, exactly like how FCS fans dislike games against D2 and NAIA schools.

Scooter
September 5th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I'm OK with playing DII. However, more weight should be given to a DII win from a team who is consistently a top 20 (Valdosta, NW Missouri St, Grand Valley State) as apposed to playing Black Hills State, Alderson-Broaddus, Limestone or Panhandle State. Hell, we do the same when looking at a Pioneer team that goes 9-2. We say, sure, you are 9-2 but you didn't beat anyone worth spit......

PAllen
September 5th, 2014, 07:07 PM
You're gonna hate it even worse when Southern Illinois beats Purdue on Sept. 20. xcoolx

A distinct possibility, and yes, yes I will. :)

Pard4Life
September 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Bonarae: Here's Harvard's all time opponent list... you may want to renew your rivalry with Williams, dormant since 1920. Or Wesleyan, dormant since 1903. Hey, there are options in a scholarship FCS world!

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/harvard/opponents.php

Sitting Bull
September 5th, 2014, 07:44 PM
This is easy. FBS and FCS are all Division 1. FCS holds a lot of schools that have national pedigree names, have D1 history or are sizable secondary schools in their respective States.

D2 is a huge drop off. I can name some D3 schools but honestly couldn't name five D2 schools.

W&M played a tough New Haven team a few years ago but I never hear about the school or their teams.

DFW HOYA
September 5th, 2014, 07:56 PM

Not always. In the past decade, Georgetown has scheduled home and home series below the P5 with Navy, James Madison, Fairfield, Ball State, Savannah State, Davidson, Memphis, Tulane, and Temple. Lately, though, road games are negotiated through ESPN or Fox and they are not interested in scheduling series with schools below the P5. Most of Georgetown's recent home and home series are TV driven.

Tribal
September 5th, 2014, 08:31 PM
I don't care if fans of FBS schools disrespect us if A) their $400,000.00 check clears and B) they crash their messageboards when they get run by a FCS school (i.e. Idaho St).

#RisingTribe

bonarae
September 5th, 2014, 08:48 PM
This is easy. FBS and FCS are all Division 1. FCS holds a lot of schools that have national pedigree names, have D1 history or are sizable secondary schools in their respective States.

D2 is a huge drop off. I can name some D3 schools but honestly couldn't name five D2 schools.

W&M played a tough New Haven team a few years ago but I never hear about the school or their teams.

D2 is an enigma right now. The best D2 schools are between the coasts (think Michigan or the Rockies). There's a reason why the Championship game was moved to the Chiefs' stadium starting this year.

melloware13
September 5th, 2014, 08:54 PM

I'm sure most FBS fans, before thinking about it, couldn't name five FCS schools too. Although I could have a slight advantage in identifying D2 schools being from PA (so all the state system schools), including having E. Stroudsburg 5 miles away.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Some of Temple's most historical rivals play FCS so I don't have a huge problem with them playing these games. Villanova and Delaware would outdraw 90% of our FBS games. Lehigh, JMU and Lafayette would also draw reasonably well. Plus, we need to make sure we're doing everything possible to be bowl eligible.

In general, I easily see why MOST fan bases loathe these games.

Pard4Life
September 5th, 2014, 09:22 PM
It would annoy me to see Kutztown or E. Strousburg on the schedule though. It's not that their quality of play is awful... it'd be a better game than Gtown... but we don't share anything with them or go head to head... ie polls or playoff spots.

citdog
September 5th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Not always. In the past decade, Georgetown has scheduled home and home series below the P5 with Navy, James Madison, Fairfield, Ball State, Savannah State, Davidson, Memphis, Tulane, and Temple. Lately, though, road games are negotiated through ESPN or Fox and they are not interested in scheduling series with schools below the P5. Most of Georgetown's recent home and home series are TV driven.

Yet you say you have no money to build a stadium or field a competitive team.

Yotes
September 6th, 2014, 01:10 AM
Yet you say you have no money to build a stadium or field a competitive team.
I too can not understand why Georgetown even offers football if they aren't going to put anything into the program. Their football field is the most embarrassing facility I've seen among all sports in Division 1.

bonarae
September 6th, 2014, 01:49 AM
I too can not understand why Georgetown even offers football if they aren't going to put anything into the program. Their football field is the most embarrassing facility I've seen among all sports in Division 1.

Hmm... why has Georgetown not done a Pacific yet? xsmhx

Hawaii may be on the chopping block now but they aren't backing off of supporting the football program just yet.

ETSU, New Haven, Hofstra, Chicago, etc. had good football programs or were having their most enjoyable past few seasons when their respective administrations shut them down at some point in their history. Some of them are now back in action or will be in the next few years, but the current eras of those teams are not comparable to the era before discontinuation.

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Plenty is put into the program. it's the second most funded sport at Georgetown and is funded as a mid to lower level Ivy program.

Problem is, it's not in the Ivy League.

Georgetown has 29 sports. Much like its Ivy brethren, not all can be fully funded.

BisonFan02
September 6th, 2014, 08:18 AM
The college gameday guys think no FBS schools should schedule FCS teams...other than NDSU, who has an asterisks by their name xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 6th, 2014, 08:54 AM
The college gameday guys think no FBS schools should schedule FCS teams...other than NDSU, who has an asterisks by their name xlolx

GameDay coming back to Fargo??

They sure gave out some hints.

My $$ is on them coming back next week or more likely for the Montana game.

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2014, 09:03 AM
They HAVE to come for the Montana game. That'll be such a good weekend for them to get their asses here.

Cocky
September 6th, 2014, 09:18 AM
If the media would give a little coverage to FCS then the need for FBS Matchups would lessen.

AmsterBison
September 6th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Digression: They should name the P5 conferences after the networks who act as their partner on TV broadcasts. It would be more accurate. SEC-ESPN, B1G-Fox, etc.

Sitting Bull
September 12th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I'm sure most FBS fans, before thinking about it, couldn't name five FCS schools too. Although I could have a slight advantage in identifying D2 schools being from PA (so all the state system schools), including having E. Stroudsburg 5 miles away.

Baloney. Apples and Oranges.

I'm quite sure most/all could name the Ivy League alone and at least all the FCS schools within their own State and most in neighboring States.

AmsterBison
September 12th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Baloney. Apples and Oranges.

I'm quite sure most/all could name the Ivy League alone and at least all the FCS schools within their own State and most in neighboring States.

Not to mention that some FCS make considerable noise in basketball and other sports.

clenz
September 12th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I couldln't do it by state but I could name/write down probably 90-95% of the FCS schools, at least.

D2 I could name probably a dozen and a half....maybe.

I would bet that the average FBS fan could name every single D1 school (FCS/FBS) in thier own state (sans maybe NY, Texas, Cali, and Florida) and maybe 1 or 2 D2s.

There are the following programs in Iowa
D1: All 4 schools (though some may not realize Drake actually has a team).
D2: I would bet probably 70-75% could name this program but wouldn't be shocked if it was lower.
D3: 11 in the state, I would bet most could name at least 6-7 of them depending what part of the state they are from as 8 of the 9 are east of I-35.
NAIA: 9 in the state, most could name 6-7 of them
JUCO: 3 active teams. I would bet 95%+ could name all 3

Of those I'd bet 70-75% could be named by the average football fan.