PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it's ever advantageous for a team to look ahead?

woffordgrad94
September 5th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Most people would most likely quickly answer this question with "NO! Are you crazy?" But I am going to play Devil's Advocate and says that their might be certain circumstances where looking ahead might actually be beneficial to a team. For instance, my Wofford Terriers' next two scheduled games are D-2 North Greenville and then Gardner-Webb. So all the focus right now should be on North Greenville, right? Well I don't think so. I think we should be able to beat North Greenville even if we don't specifically devote time to preparing for them. And if we can't, then we shouldn't even field an FCS team to begin with. That's not meant to be disrespectful to NG, but given the D-2 vs. FCS thing, I think it's a fair statement. Anyway, we should take advantage of having an off week followed by a lower division opponent and start preparing for G-W now! Not only because they upset us last year in a monsoon 3-0 and we want revenge, but because G-W is an immensely importantly game for us. If we lose to G-W, and they, unlike North Greenville, are very capable of beating us, then we will have no shot at all of getting an at-large playoff berth this year. Zero, zilch, nada. Also, I think last year's loss to G-W set a poor tone for our SoCon season and we ended up struggling in conference play. The same thing could happen this year if we lose to them again. On the other hand, a win could give us confidence and help buoy us to success in what will be a tough, competitive SoCon. So we need this G-W game like a shark needs water. I think we should look past NG and start concentrating on G-W now!

Mattymc727
September 5th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I think it would be dumb to actual plan this way, but there is no doubt that teams end up doing it. You see it a lot more at the FBS level.

On any given game day, if you arent mentally prepared to play the team you are playing at that very moment, you could and should lose the game, regardless of talent disparity. Ive seen countless football games where a loss seems almost inconceivable for the better team, but for whatever reason one team wasnt into it or never got off the bus mentally (It happens even in high school football).

One great example at this level and is just at the top of my head because i forgot about it is the NDSU loss to ISU in 2012 was it? Over the course of the NDSU three-peat, they demolished almost everybody that came into Fargo. it would seem inconceivable that NDSU actually lost to Indiana State in Fargo, but it happened. Now i didnt watch the game, but it sounds like this was one of those times when the favored team just didnt check into the moment and it cost them. Wofford would be making a huge mistake to do that. Now, can Wofford beat NG without focusing on them, of course they can, but i wouldnt want my team playing with fire like that.

For a coach to actually not prepare for the next games opponent, because he or the team thought the opponent was lesser of them, would be very dumb, and i wouldnt want a coach to do that.

I know I just sort of rambled, but the short answer is no, never. The positives of getting those couple extra days to focus on a distant opponent do not outweigh the damage that could be done to the team by dismissing others.

FCSfan
September 5th, 2014, 10:35 AM
it's certainly not a "this or that" question because any coach with an ounce of honesty will tell you they prepare for the game at hand but are always preparing for the game ahead if this week's opponent allows.
mike ayers will not look at north greenville as a given win and like any quality coach needs such games to get better and many unseasoned players valuable playing time...but...undoubtedly the loss to gardner webb last year (rain or no rain) left a bitter taste so ayers and the terriers have been "looking ahead" for close to a year.
bottom line, different situations allow for different advantages of looking ahead but any good coach will do so with intelligence (and NEVER admit it).

MR. CHICKEN
September 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM
19618......SILLY QUESTION......xconfusedx.....BROCK!

superman7515
September 5th, 2014, 11:15 AM
That's what happened to Delaware last week. We were so focused on the epic rivalry game with Delaware State that we overlooked a Pitt team that we could have easily beaten if we were focused on the here and now...

NoDak 4 Ever
September 5th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Maher Maso, the mayor of Frisco is coming up to the Bison home opener for the coinflip!

Won't be the last time we see him this season.

Bisonator
September 5th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I think it would be dumb to actual plan this way, but there is no doubt that teams end up doing it. You see it a lot more at the FBS level.

On any given game day, if you arent mentally prepared to play the team you are playing at that very moment, you could and should lose the game, regardless of talent disparity. Ive seen countless football games where a loss seems almost inconceivable for the better team, but for whatever reason one team wasnt into it or never got off the bus mentally (It happens even in high school football).

One great example at this level and is just at the top of my head because i forgot about it is the NDSU loss to ISU in 2012 was it? Over the course of the NDSU three-peat, they demolished almost everybody that came into Fargo. it would seem inconceivable that NDSU actually lost to Indiana State in Fargo, but it happened. Now i didnt watch the game, but it sounds like this was one of those times when the favored team just didnt check into the moment and it cost them. Wofford would be making a huge mistake to do that. Now, can Wofford beat NG without focusing on them, of course they can, but i wouldnt want my team playing with fire like that.

For a coach to actually not prepare for the next games opponent, because he or the team thought the opponent was lesser of them, would be very dumb, and i wouldnt want a coach to do that.

I know I just sort of rambled, but the short answer is no, never. The positives of getting those couple extra days to focus on a distant opponent do not outweigh the damage that could be done to the team by dismissing others.
I wouldn't say NDSU looked past ISU in 2012. ISU was pretty good that year, had a decent defense and one of the best RB's in FCS. The fact is we lost that game because our QB made 3 bad decisions, 2 pick 6's and another INT to basically end the game with NDSU in FG position to tie it late. Our defense gave up 3 points in that game. Had our offensive coordinator just kept running the ball we probably would have won the friggin game going away. Man that game still bugs me! Thanks for bringing that back up! :(

NoDak 4 Ever
September 5th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't say NDSU looked past ISU in 2012. ISU was pretty good that year, had a decent defense and one of the best RB's in FCS. The fact is we lost that game because our QB made 3 bad decisions, 2 pick 6's and another INT to basically end the game with NDSU in FG position to tie it late. Our defense gave up 3 points in that game. Had our offensive coordinator just kept running the ball we probably would have won the friggin game going away. Man that game still bugs me! Thanks for bringing that back up! :(

That was also when ISUb was doing ok with Shakir Bell and Trent Miles. In fact you can point at both NDSU home losses in the last 3 years and figure out exactly which mistakes cost them.

JayJ79
September 5th, 2014, 06:08 PM
with an open week followed by a D2, I could see Wofford having spent some time this past week and this weekend on things for future games, that maybe they weren't planning on using in the NG game, but once things get into next week, it is probaby best to concentrate on the opponent on hand.

Drblankstare
September 5th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I would imagine Michigan thinks looking past Opponents is a bad thing. Not this year though :D

skinny_uncle
September 5th, 2014, 08:20 PM
That's what happened to Delaware last week. We were so focused on the epic rivalry game with Delaware State that we overlooked a Pitt team that we could have easily beaten if we were focused on the here and now...

xsmileyclapx

woffordgrad94
September 5th, 2014, 08:59 PM
North Greenville just beat something called Ava Maria 45-24. And I thought Ava Maria was just a Christmas carol. I'm shaking in my boots now. Actually the NG QB went to my high school and has done very well there. I am happy for him. But he has never faced a team of Wofford's level.

ElCid
September 5th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I am going to be really upset if my Bulldogs look ahead to Charleston Southern instead of concentrating on FSU tomorrow. They can't afford to blow games this way. Well, we will see if they stay focused.:D

NoDak 4 Ever
September 5th, 2014, 09:36 PM
North Greenville just beat something called Ava Maria 45-24. And I thought Ava Maria was just a Christmas carol. I'm shaking in my boots now. Actually the NG QB went to my high school and has done very well there. I am happy for him. But he has never faced a team of Wofford's level.

Ave Maria, if memory serves, was founded by former Domino's Pizza founder Tom Monaghan who still serves as Chancellor.

woffordgrad94
September 5th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Well, I do love me some Dominos...order them for room delivery online while on the road quite a bit.