gokats85
November 1st, 2006, 03:25 PM
From www.myfoxhouston.com and KRIV-TV:

Former OU Quarterback Ruled Ineligible for 2006 Season
Bomar Will Have Two Years Left at Sam Houston State
Last Edited: Wednesday, 01 Nov 2006, 2:56 PM CST
Created: Wednesday, 01 Nov 2006, 2:24 PM CST

Rhett Bomar
Sam Houston State officials have been notified that former Oklahoma University quarterback Rhett Bomar won't be eligible for this season.
"We expect the NCAA to announce this afternoon that quarterback Rhett Bomar will be re-instated for the next two seasons," SHS sports information director Paul Ridings said. "He will not be able to play this year but this year will count as his sophomore year. So he will have two years of eligibility left."
Bomar was kicked off the OU team prior to this season for violating NCAA rules. The NCAA is penalizing him by not allowing him to play in 2006.

Print-friendly version | Email

slycat
November 1st, 2006, 03:27 PM
the NCAA made the right call IMO.

any word who will start for the bearkats this weekend? after the loss is there a chance that hicks will start again?

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 03:27 PM
Anybody have any predictions on how he'll be in I-AA?

I think he'll be good, but won't put up incredible numbers. I'm not sure how the rest of the team will be in the next couple of years either, but I think he won't mentally be in the game.

putter
November 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM
Bomar takes too much $$ and loses a whole year. Some of the thugs from Miami and FIU act, in what was basically assault, and would have gone to jail if that happened outside a bar and most lose 1 game, one loses the rest of the year. NCAA is out of whack if you ask me :confused:

exbearkat
November 1st, 2006, 03:35 PM
Hicks has been announced as the starter this week against SFA. However, TW has publicly stated that Wade Pate will get some time as well.

Bomar will not put up the huge Dustin Long type numbers, but he will bring another dimension to the offense like no other qb has at SH - a legit threat to take it to the house when he decides to tuck it and run. :thumbsup:

Katillac
November 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM
AP Story:

Former Oklahoma football players Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn must sit out one season, lose one season of eligibility and pay back thousands of dollars they received illegitimately from a campus job in order to have their eligibility restored, the NCAA said Wednesday.

"The NCAA reinstatement staff has assessed the facts presented by Oklahoma and agrees with its contention that both Mr. Bomar and Mr. Quinn willfully violated NCAA rules regarding preferential treatment and benefits," Jennifer Strawley, the NCAA's director of membership services and student-athlete reinstatement, said in a news release.

For Bomar, a sophomore who enrolled Divsion I-AA Sam Houston State after his dismissal from Oklahoma, this means he has only two remaining years of eligibility if he meets all other requirements for I-AA transfer students. He must also pay back $7,406.88 to a charity of his choosing as punishment for the wages he earned for work not performed.

"I am happy to get this behind me," Bomar told AP, who has been allowed to practice with the Bearkats. "I look forward to having the opportunity to represent Sam Houston State. This decision today will help take the focus off me and put the focus on the team."

Bomar played high school football for his father in the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie and was one of the nation's top recruits in 2004. He redshirted, then threw for 2,018 yards and 10 touchdowns as a freshman at Oklahoma, leading the Sooners over Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.

"Obviously, we would have liked for him to able to play in games this season," Sam Houston coach Todd Whitten said. "But, with his experience working with the squad this fall and spring training ahead next year, we look forward to having him as a Bearkat for the next two seasons."

Quinn, now at Division I-AA Montana, is also a sophomore and also will have two remaining seasons of eligibility if he meets the same requirements. His charitable contribution must be $8,137.17.

Both Bomar and Quinn were employed at the same car dealership, owned by a man considered to have ties to Oklahoma athletics. The university launched an investigation and found that both knowingly accepted wages they had not earned.

Each of the universities involved can appeal the decision to the NCAA Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee.

Sam_Kats
November 1st, 2006, 04:32 PM
I think Bomar will fall somewhere in between McCown and Long...which I will take anyday! I'd still like for the Kats to take the title this year so we can boast BACK TO BACK TO BACK Southland titles!!:nod:

Spooney-Cat
November 1st, 2006, 04:36 PM
What makes you think he's not shopping for another school already? I could see him leaving and going back to D-I.

BEAR
November 1st, 2006, 04:46 PM
OOH spooney---good call. :cool: He will be eligible for I-A this next year. But rumor is that he is transfering to UCA....no not really....I have a feeling that Bomar won't be playing QB next year at Sam Houston....:twocents:

putter
November 1st, 2006, 04:48 PM
What makes you think he's not shopping for another school already? I could see him leaving and going back to D-I.

Would he still be eligible if he did that? Technically they did not "sit out" a year so if they went back to I-A I would think they would have to wait until 2008 to play.

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2006, 06:27 PM

Last I checked, he is in Div I...

He's been a vital part of our football team. He's been in the booth with the offensive coordinator in atleast one game at home and has been on the sideline, being the first one Brett Hicks has come off to in every other home game. Even made a road trip or two to root on the Bearkats on his own dime!

Bomar is being a team player through and through...

Walkon79
November 1st, 2006, 06:50 PM
So how does this impact the OL Quinn, his teammate who landed in Missoula?

TigerFan17
November 1st, 2006, 06:57 PM

If Ralph sees this.... :eek:

griz37
November 1st, 2006, 06:58 PM

Same punishment for Quinn. He cannot play this year & has to pay back his money before his can put on a Griz uniform.

TexasTerror
November 1st, 2006, 07:13 PM

Montana's AD is not commenting at all on this one...

Here's the AP article on Quinn and Bomar...

HUNTSVILLE, Texas -- Former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar was ruled ineligible Wednesday to play for Sam Houston State this season but will return in 2007 with two years of eligibility remaining.

Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn were kicked off the Sooners' squad in August for accepting payment for more work than they performed at a car dealership, a violation of NCAA rules.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Bomar transferred to Sam Houston and Quinn to Montana, both Division I-AA schools. Quinn also was ruled ineligible by the NCAA but will be allowed to play next season, Montana associate athletic director Dave Guffey said.

"I am happy to get this behind me," said Bomar, who has been allowed to practice with the Bearkats. "I look forward to having the opportunity to represent Sam Houston State. This decision today will help take the focus off me and put the focus on the team."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2646170

AggiePride
November 1st, 2006, 07:30 PM

Quick, edit that to D1.

I think that will be just enough to make Ralph's head explode. :splat:

Ronbo
November 1st, 2006, 08:08 PM

Can't happen unless he wants to sit another year. This year is a penalty year, it doesn't qualify as a sit out year. If he was to transfer to a I-A he'd need to register there and then sit out a tranfer year there.

dirtbag
November 1st, 2006, 08:44 PM
Good for the NCAA.

Does everybody realize that Bomar's high school team went 3-7 his senior year?

I honestly don't understand how you can be a 5-star QB recruit when your team is 3-7. He's not a guy who can carry a team.

Sam_Kats
November 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM
Regardless, he was THE BEST QB (#4 prospect) coming out of high school...and next year, he'll call Bowers Stadium home!!! :nod: :bow: xsmileyclapx

AppGuy04
November 1st, 2006, 09:40 PM
This is no surprise

We'll find out what he's made of next year

SFA 71
November 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM
OOH spooney---good call. :cool: He will be eligible for I-A this next year. But rumor is that he is transfering to UCA....no not really....I have a feeling that Bomar won't be playing QB next year at Sam Houston....:twocents:

You're going to make the sammies cry even louder!! :bawling:

exbearkat
November 2nd, 2006, 01:41 AM
Why would we cry when we KNOW he's not going anywhere? Face it, the dude isn't gonna make a move back to D1-A and sit out ANOTHER year! :deadhorse:

Guys just need to quit talking about him leaving...it just ain't gonna happen. xidiotx

exbearkat
November 2nd, 2006, 01:41 AM
Why would we cry when we KNOW he's not going anywhere? Face it, the dude isn't gonna make a move back to D1-A and sit out ANOTHER year! :deadhorse:

Guys just need to quit talking about him leaving...it just ain't gonna happen. xidiotx

Spooney-Cat
November 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
I didn't realize that this was a penalty year, making him have to sit if he moved back up to D-IA. I say bring him on. He doesn't make the entire team. Ask Allen Iverson how well the 76er's have been since he's been there. Before you Katfans get worked up, I know there are some athletes on the team. I'm just saying a QB is useless without a good OLine and good receivers.

Canyoncat
November 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Where will these two find "jobs" that will pay them enough? And when will they have time? I am sure the NCAA will keep really close tabs on they types of jobs they take. That is a lot of cash need to raise before they can play.

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Where will these two find "jobs" that will pay them enough? And when will they have time? I am sure the NCAA will keep really close tabs on they types of jobs they take. That is a lot of cash need to raise before they can play.

I read somewhere that Quinn has already paid the money. Probably his parents did. Plus he's not on scholarship at Montana, who's picking up that tab? Probably the parents.

SFA 71
November 2nd, 2006, 06:40 PM

That I was commenting on? A really smart UCA comment was that he would probably leave before playing at shs. I have a feeling ok didn't think (in July) that he was going anywhere either. But then you KNOW he isn't going anywhere. :eek:

BEAR
November 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
A really smart UCA comment :eek:

Be careful calling me smart..:smiley_wi xlolx

blackfordpu
November 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
That I was commenting on? A really smart UCA comment was that he would probably leave before playing at shs. I have a feeling ok didn't think (in July) that he was going anywhere either. But then you KNOW he isn't going anywhere. :eek:

Yup, we know he isn't going anywhere so drop it.:nonono2:

SFA 71
November 2nd, 2006, 10:36 PM

say NEVER. You'll learn that as you get older & hopefully, wiser.:thumbsup:

SFA 71
November 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM

say NEVER. You'll learn that when you get older & hopefully wiser. :thumbsup:

Retro
November 2nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
I read on NCAA.org a few days ago that the NCAA is considering eliminating the transfer rule for sitting out a year. I'll try to find the link and post it.

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2006, 06:58 AM
I read on NCAA.org a few days ago that the NCAA is considering eliminating the transfer rule for sitting out a year. I'll try to find the link and post it.

Saw that somewhere too, something from either the Knight Commission or the President's Task Force...

TexasTerror
November 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM
FYI...

Bomar was on the sidelines for the game against SFA tonight...

Good thing he gets to see what the Battle of the Piney Woods is about. It'll definitely bring out the competitive fire in Kats QB...