PDA

View Full Version : Biggest "surprise teams" this year?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2006, 03:13 PM
These are the biggest surprises (i.e. teams that have exceeded expectations for this year) for me this year. I'm probably overlooking someone major but these are the ones I can think of off of the top of my head.

4. Youngstown State - they have done better in the Gateway than anyone expected. Could very well be their first playoff appearance since (I believe) 2000.

3. Appalachian State - after last week, they look like they are the most likely the ones that will finish #1 in the Sports Network and AGS polls and get the number 1 seed. Who would've guessed they'd end up with a quarterback-runningback hybrid like Edwards and dominate the underrated Socon they way they have this year? Their defense is pretty solid too. This could very well be another year of the mountaineer.

2. San Diego - Overrated? Maybe. But they came completely off the radar and are now the talk of AGS even more than what Coastal Carolina was last year. If there aren't too many strong candidates for playoff spots this year, they could be in. It'd be interesting to see how they do.

And the biggest surprise this year...

1. North Dakota State - Oh, yes. I think most people would have predicted they'd finish in the top 25, but I don't think anyone anticipated they'd be 7-1 (almost 8-0) at this point in the season. These guys are for real. Let 'em play in the playoffs. They have as good of a chance to win as anyone does. I'm glad the IAA citizenship naturalization rule wasn't in effect in 1985 and 1986 (that is why they can't be in the playoffs, because they haven't been in IAA long enough, correct?)

[EDIT] UT Martin Should be on this list as well (thanks, BillLuc1982)

BillLuc1982
November 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM
What about UT-Martin?

dbackjon
November 1st, 2006, 03:28 PM
What about UT-Martin?

Yup - they are the biggest suprise...

bison95
November 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
I was going to say Georgia Southern, I just expected more from them.

WMTribe90
November 1st, 2006, 03:32 PM
UT-Martin is a good one. I think Liberty should get some mention here. Sure, they're not playoff contenders, but they have made huge strides from last year and are much more competitive than most expected.

Holy Cross in the thick of the PL race is a bit of a surprise as well.

RabidRabbit
November 1st, 2006, 03:35 PM
These are the biggest surprises (i.e. teams that have exceeded expectations for this year) for me this year. I'm probably overlooking someone major but these are the ones I can think of off of the top of my head.

4. Youngstown State - they have done better in the Gateway than anyone expected. Could very well be their first playoff appearance since (I believe) 2000.

3. Appalachian State - after last week, they look like they are the most likely the ones that will finish #1 in the Sports Network and AGS polls and get the number 1 seed. Who would've guessed they'd end up with a quarterback-runningback hybrid like Edwards and dominate the underrated Socon they way they have this year? Their defense is pretty solid too. This could very well be another year of the mountaineer.

2. San Diego - Overrated? Maybe. But they came completely off the radar and are now the talk of AGS even more than what Coastal Carolina was last year. If there aren't too many strong candidates for playoff spots this year, they could be in. It'd be interesting to see how they do.

And the biggest surprise this year...

1. North Dakota State - Oh, yes. I think most people would have predicted they'd finish in the top 25, but I don't think anyone anticipated they'd be 7-1 (almost 8-0) at this point in the season. These guys are for real. Let 'em play in the playoffs. They have as good of a chance to win as anyone does. I'm glad the IAA citizenship naturalization rule wasn't in effect in 1985 and 1986 (that is why they can't be in the playoffs, because they haven't been in IAA long enough, correct?)

[EDIT] UT Martin Should be on this list as well (thanks, BillLuc1982)

If you look over the "stickied" GWFC preseason, one voice seemed to think that NDSU would be #1, and be exactly where they are now.

UT-Martin is a shocker, and USD's rating, not their record, is surprising.

Other than those two, more "disappointments" than "pleasant" surprises.

Pard4Life
November 1st, 2006, 03:43 PM
UT-Martin is a good one. I think Liberty should get some mention here. Sure, they're not playoff contenders, but they have made huge strides from last year and are much more competitive than most expected.

Holy Cross in the thick of the PL race is a bit of a surprise as well.

HC is not really a surprise... they had some good pieces coming back and a good staff... plus they played weaker teams and the PL is awful this year.

Pard4Life
November 1st, 2006, 03:44 PM
USD is not at all different from last year and has no justification whatsover to be ranked 10 in the GPI or 15 in the polls...

...the playoff committee better be aware of this farce..

AggieFinn
November 1st, 2006, 03:53 PM
USD is not at all different from last year and has no justification whatsover to be ranked 10 in the GPI or 15 in the polls...

With JJ coming back next season as a senior (provided he doesn't go pro immediately and win the Super Bowl by 50 points), a better schedule, say as many quality I-AA teams as they can put on it, coupled with some Pioneer League/Playoff/Gridiron tweaking, I see USD making a better case for themselves than this season. Right now though, you have to give the nod to those who've battled every week against quality competition. One thing that SOS measures is the depth of your football team. Playing creampuffs doesn't measure this, and if it does, then you're not good enough to be in the schollie playoffs anyway. USD needs to be tested, at least every other week, against a quality I-AA foe to see how they'll deal.

gobucknell06
November 1st, 2006, 08:21 PM
1. San Diego
2. NDSU
3. UT-Martin
4. Holy Cross

cosmo here
November 1st, 2006, 08:28 PM

that's a great point P4L . . why didn't we go through this last year? then again, i'm glad we didn't . . :bang:

Go Apps
November 2nd, 2006, 06:48 AM
Some Major Surprises -

UT Martin - did not see this one coming, but well deserved!

Towson - for the moment they are holding their own in a tough conference

ND St - I can say I am glad they are not in the playoffs!

ASU - even an ASU fan can say we are very surprised, the last years title team seem to have destiney on their side - a very good year is what we expected but after starting the year with Trey - things began to look very unlikely - out of the blue we find a new star in Armani - the team looks solid, it is hard to tell how App will match up with the rest of the country but home field advantage will be a huge help in that department (assuming we don't blow this weeks game) - And if App can get to Chatt..expect ASU to bring a larger crowd than last year - While many would see this as not a surprise, those in Boone would think differently...We would love to have the ongoing success as a GSU or former Marshall - we can dream!

Dabnus Brickey
November 2nd, 2006, 06:53 AM
Liberty is better athletically, but they have a long way to go in terms of being classy. They showed their butts Saturday @ Coastal.

hvsader
November 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
What's your definition of "surprise"? How about an entirely new O backfield and a QB who never played a college game making POW 4 straight weeks. I'd consider Holy Cross a surprise...

hawkeye
November 2nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Yup - they are the biggest suprise...

Hey you think you guys are surprised, you should see the look on the fans and players faces after the games. I know you have to have the talent, but Coach Jason Simpson has got to be IAA Coach of the Year. Excellent staff under him I might add.