PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network Playoff Rankings

SirApp
November 1st, 2006, 01:08 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4047162.htm

and...........go!

GOTOREROS
November 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4047162.htm

and...........go!

I can't believe we aren't ranked #1.........: smh :

MiamiTorero
November 1st, 2006, 01:25 PM
USD Should be ranked #1 in the country!! Are you kidding me??? :D

Saint3333
November 1st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Anyone see this quote:

"And the Mountaineers don’t even need great efforts from the offense to win, since a defense that is at least in the top five nationally is tough on the run and pass and has given up almost nothing in I-AA contests when the game is in doubt."

November 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah, Matt talked about this last night on I-AA WAVES...
http://media.libsyn.com/media/iaawaves/20061031showfinal.mp3

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 1st, 2006, 01:26 PM
I don't know if i'd have Lehigh's chances that good just yet......

KiddBrewer
November 1st, 2006, 03:19 PM
if it worked out like that, App #1 vs. Furman #16.........interesting.

BillLuc1982
November 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
USD Should be ranked #1 in the country!! Are you kidding me??? :D

Maybe in high school football

KiddBrewer
November 1st, 2006, 03:21 PM
Maybe in high school football

doubtful.........xlolx :rotateh: :nod: i kid, i kid

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Hey ralph, what did the OVC commish say about how a tiebreak in the league would be done with T-M and T State undefeated in the league?

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM

Teams from the same conf can't face eachother in the first round. It's likely though that we both won the Vermin might come to Boone in the quarters, though...

KiddBrewer
November 1st, 2006, 03:34 PM
and James Madison again in the semis....atleast we would have an idea of the teams we were playing, although we know JMU is much better than the first time we played...dont nobody get worked up.:thumbsup:

dbackjon
November 1st, 2006, 03:43 PM
Hey ralph, what did the OVC commish say about how a tiebreak in the league would be done with T-M and T State undefeated in the league?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061101/SPORTS0604/611010438/1038/SPORTS06

OVC title may come to coin flip
TSU, UT-Martin both undefeated in conference play

By MIKE ORGAN
Staff Writer

Who wins a football game between Tennessee State and UT-Martin? Flip a coin.

No, really; flip a coin.

Since TSU and UT-Martin do not play each other this season, a coin toss will determine the Ohio Valley Conference champion if both win the remainder of their games.

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061101/SPORTS0604/611010438/1038/SPORTS06

OVC title may come to coin flip
TSU, UT-Martin both undefeated in conference play

By MIKE ORGAN
Staff Writer

Who wins a football game between Tennessee State and UT-Martin? Flip a coin.

No, really; flip a coin.

Since TSU and UT-Martin do not play each other this season, a coin toss will determine the Ohio Valley Conference champion if both win the remainder of their games.

Great! So basically some other at-large's chances are dependent on a coin flip. I think that UT-Martin if it wins out and doesn't get the auto will get an at-large, pushing somebody else out.

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Yah, I'd hate to see a bubble team get woof'ed thanks to a coin toss, but I guess thats the only way. Should make for some interesting radio in certain parts of the country if they choose to broadcast "the flip."

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yah, I'd hate to see a bubble team get woof'ed thanks to a coin toss, but I guess thats the only way. Should make for some interesting radio in certain parts of the country if they choose to broadcast "the flip."

I think the safe play here is to go with the ever-popular Jerome Bettis "Teads" call.

Pard4Life
November 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM
I love it!! FINALLY... some intelligence.... Monmouth above San Diego, just how it should be...

31. Monmouth (8-1, 4-1 NEC)

The Games: St. Francis (PA) (11/4), at Albany (11/11)

Outlook: Most of the attention from the Mid-Major conferences goes to San Diego, but wins in the final two games would get Monmouth to 10-1 against an all Division I schedule with victories against three scholarship-level teams and two against teams that held a spot in the top 25. That might still not be enough, but it would keep the Hawks in the mix.

32. San Diego (8-0, 5-0 PFL)

The Games: at Jacksonville (11/4), Dayton (11/11)

Outlook: San Diego is No. 16 in the country this week, and the Toreros are making people believe they can beat some of the top teams in the nation. But playoff spots are rewarded on who you actually did play, which could leave San Diego in a tough position with only eight games against Division I teams and just one DI victory outside of the non-scholarship PFL.

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2006, 04:06 PM
I think the safe play here is to go with the ever-popular Jerome Bettis "Teads" call.

I was thinking a best of seven paper/rock/scissors game, personally. I actually (drunkenly) broadcast a whole P/R/S tournament when I was a DJ here. Great radio. :eyebrow: :D

mcveyrl
November 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM
I was thinking a best of seven paper/rock/scissors game, personally. I actually (drunkenly) broadcast a whole P/R/S tournament when I was a DJ here. Great radio. :eyebrow: :D

At least then some sort of mental skill would have to be exercised!

This is actually a great idea!! I think that all conference ties should be settled with a P/R/S/ battle!! You know CSTV would pick that up.

ASU Kep
November 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM
In all seriousness, it'd bring a lot of exposure to the OVC. IMO, as a TN ST fan I'd rather spend my off-season chalking up no-playoffs to my HC's "scissors" call in round 7 then the random fate of a quarter.

Torero Tradition
November 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM
I love it!! FINALLY... some intelligence.... Monmouth above San Diego, just how it should be...

31. Monmouth (8-1, 4-1 NEC)

The Games: St. Francis (PA) (11/4), at Albany (11/11)

Outlook: Most of the attention from the Mid-Major conferences goes to San Diego, but wins in the final two games would get Monmouth to 10-1 against an all Division I schedule with victories against three scholarship-level teams and two against teams that held a spot in the top 25. That might still not be enough, but it would keep the Hawks in the mix.

32. San Diego (8-0, 5-0 PFL)

The Games: at Jacksonville (11/4), Dayton (11/11)

Outlook: San Diego is No. 16 in the country this week, and the Toreros are making people believe they can beat some of the top teams in the nation. But playoff spots are rewarded on who you actually did play, which could leave San Diego in a tough position with only eight games against Division I teams and just one DI victory outside of the non-scholarship PFL.

I wouldn't put much into what Matt D says. As he has proven, he's not a very good prognosticator.

November 1st, 2006, 04:59 PM
Hey ralph, what did the OVC commish say about how a tiebreak in the league would be done with T-M and T State undefeated in the league?Same rules as the Socon, etc... flip a coin. As he said on I-AA WAVES yesterday they are working on a stat formula to replace the coin flip etc.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/iaawaves/20061031showfinal.mp3

shakdaddy3
November 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't put much into what Matt D says. As he has proven, he's not a very good prognosticator.
of course you would only say that because it goes against your team and is based in reality xsmileyclapx

what evidence do you have that matt is not "a very good prognosticator"? any support for your claim?

SirApp
November 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM
Only real problem I have with these rankings is 16. Furman and 17. Coastal. I really just don't see how you can rank Coastal behind Furman if they both win out because of their head-to-head. To each his own I guess.

With the exception of that and a few little, ticky-tack ratings, they are pretty much spot-on.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 1st, 2006, 07:21 PM
What an interesting thing it'd be if two A10 teams got seeds!

UMass922
November 1st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Great! So basically some other at-large's chances are dependent on a coin flip. I think that UT-Martin if it wins out and doesn't get the auto will get an at-large, pushing somebody else out.

It's true that UT-M would probably get an at-large if the auto-bid is awarded to TSU--but I think it's also possible that TSU might be worthy of an at-large bid anyway even if the auto is awarded to UT-M.

After all, TSU would be 8-3 against an all- D-I schedule, and in a season in which there might be a shortage of eight-win teams to fill out the playoff field, the Tigers might have a legitimate case. Out-of-conference, they lost one-possession games to Alabama A&M and FAMU, beat Jackson State, and lost to I-A Vanderbilt. It's nothing spectacular, but it's respectable enough, and they might look like a more attractive at-large candidate to the committee than a seven-win team or a mid-major.

So let's not assume that the OVC would necessarily be "stealing" a bid from a more deserving team elsewhere, since UT-M and TSU might both be playoff-worthy teams anyway should they both win out.

HiHiYikas
November 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM
With folks talking possible ASU-JMU and ASU-Furman playoff matchups, I'm left wondering if that's a good way to do playoffs? I'm not against rematches, I'm just wondering if anyone out there might perceive a championship run as weak if 4 wins came against the same 2 teams and the champ didn't play against a variety of competition.

I know these questions seem to come with a lot of assumptions about ASU; that's not my intention. I'm just wondering, from a scheduling standpoint, how that kind of championship run might be preceived?

UMass922
November 1st, 2006, 08:37 PM
With folks talking possible ASU-JMU and ASU-Furman playoff matchups, I'm left wondering if that's a good way to do playoffs? I'm not against rematches, I'm just wondering if anyone out there might perceive a championship run as weak if 4 wins came against the same 2 teams and the champ didn't play against a variety of competition.

I know these questions seem to come with a lot of assumptions about ASU; that's not my intention. I'm just wondering, from a scheduling standpoint, how that kind of championship run might be preceived?

I don't see how that would tarnish a championship. If those are two of the better teams in the division (and they'd have to be to make the playoffs), and you beat them each twice, more power to you.

And anyway, I don't know how this kind of thing could be prevented. As long as teams play non-conference opponents in the regular season, and as long as multiple teams from a conference are allowed to make the playoffs, rematches are always going to be a possibility.

Cincy App
November 1st, 2006, 08:57 PM
Only real problem I have with these rankings is 16. Furman and 17. Coastal. I really just don't see how you can rank Coastal behind Furman if they both win out because of their head-to-head. To each his own I guess.

Furman has played a tougher overall schedule and has a 1-A loss. Technically, you could say that Furman has a 6-1 SoCon record (if it wins out - with loss to #1 ASU) vs. Coastal's 2-2 SoCon record.

No disrespect intended to Coastal. At least they understand that you need to play a solid OOC schedule especially if you play in a non-autobid conference.

TigerFan17
November 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM
The Tigers at 15! :eek: :rotateh:

FlyYtown
November 2nd, 2006, 05:36 AM
According to 2 news sources in Youngstown: This Week:

Youngstown State is #1 in the I-AA Central Region. If they win the next two; they will get the Central Region Seed; at least that what the Ytown media had said.

GO PENGUINS!!!

AppGuy04
November 2nd, 2006, 06:04 AM
Didn't know I-AA had regional rankings

Link?

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Didn't know I-AA had regional rankings

Link?

I only know of the ECAC for I-AA East.. so there could be a regional body..

OL FU
November 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM

With the exception of that and a few little, ticky-tack ratings, they are pretty much spot-on.

I agree. Matt does a good job but I think he may have been thinking about his thoughts on teams strength versus the liklihood of making the playoffs. As an example (and it is not a slam dunk example by any means) Cal Poly number 11 versus Furman number 16. (First my disclaimer, I think Cal Poly is better than Furman this year). Cal Poly probably can't afford to lose more than one game and their remaining schedule is UM, NDSU and Savannah State. Furman probably has to win out and their schedule is Elon away and Georgia Southern at home. As I mentioned before, I think Cal Poly is the better team but is it more likely that Cal Poly wins 2 out of three or that Furman wins the two remaining. I would take the later and therefore rate Furman's chances of making the playoffs better than Cal Poly. :twocents:

OL FU
November 2nd, 2006, 12:02 PM
I agree. Matt does a good job but I think he may have been thinking about his thoughts on teams strength versus the liklihood of making the playoffs. As an example (and it is not a slam dunk example by any means) Cal Poly number 11 versus Furman number 16. (First my disclaimer, I think Cal Poly is better than Furman this year). Cal Poly probably can't afford to lose more than one game and their remaining schedule is UM, NDSU and Savannah State. Furman probably has to win out and their schedule is Elon away and Georgia Southern at home. As I mentioned before, I think Cal Poly is the better team but is it more likely that Cal Poly wins 2 out of three or that Furman wins the two remaining. I would take the later and therefore rate Furman's chances of making the playoffs better than Cal Poly. :twocents:

Montana State (#13) maybe a better example, they like Furman only have two games remaining at UM and UNC and they need to win both. Which one is more likely

OL FU
November 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Furman has played a tougher overall schedule and has a 1-A loss. Technically, you could say that Furman has a 6-1 SoCon record (if it wins out - with loss to #1 ASU) vs. Coastal's 2-2 SoCon record.

No disrespect intended to Coastal. At least they understand that you need to play a solid OOC schedule especially if you play in a non-autobid conference.

Furman has played a tougher schedule and so far has lost to anyone that would be considered tough including CCU. In this case the head to head should be the decider. Now if we had been the only SoCon school CCU played you could attribute the win to AnyGiven Saturday. But so far in the games that might be considered comparable, I see no reason to give Furman any advantage over CCU other than we are in the SoCon.

umassfan
November 2nd, 2006, 12:36 PM

Youngstown State is #1 in the I-AA Central Region. If they win the next two; they will get the Central Region Seed; at least that what the Ytown media had said.

GO PENGUINS!!!
Im sorry but again you are wrong. The seeds are not given out by regions. The top 4 teams get seeds reguardless of their location. This year you could see JMU, UMass, APP St all from the east and Montana from the West.

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2006, 12:58 PM

GO PENGUINS!!!

Central Region Seed? xidiotx

You are FlyYing off the handle with some of your "facts". There is no Central Region Seed.

hawkeye
November 2nd, 2006, 03:31 PM

Now that is a great idea! You know it really would be a shame for these two good teams to go undefeated and have to toss a coin. IE Friday Night Lights. Gosh what drama.

Chucktown
November 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
It's true that UT-M would probably get an at-large if the auto-bid is awarded to TSU--but I think it's also possible that TSU might be worthy of an at-large bid anyway even if the auto is awarded to UT-M.

After all, TSU would be 8-3 against an all- D-I schedule, and in a season in which there might be a shortage of eight-win teams to fill out the playoff field, the Tigers might have a legitimate case. Out-of-conference, they lost one-possession games to Alabama A&M and FAMU, beat Jackson State, and lost to I-A Vanderbilt. It's nothing spectacular, but it's respectable enough, and they might look like a more attractive at-large candidate to the committee than a seven-win team or a mid-major.

So let's not assume that the OVC would necessarily be "stealing" a bid from a more deserving team elsewhere, since UT-M and TSU might both be playoff-worthy teams anyway should they both win out.

TSU still has to play EIU, and EIU still chance as an at-large if they win their last 3. They will be 8-4 with two 1A losses, and two top ten 1aa losses..
So TSU should not be thinking about playoffs quite yet

UMass922
November 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
TSU still has to play EIU, and EIU still chance as an at-large if they win their last 3. They will be 8-4 with two 1A losses, and two top ten 1aa losses..
So TSU should not be thinking about playoffs quite yet

Of course, of course. I was just speaking to the hypothetical scenario that TSU and UT-M both finish undefeated. If that happens, TSU still has a case for a playoff berth even if it loses the coin flip. But anyway, yes, we can't forget about EIU yet, either. Whoever loses the TSU-EIU game this week is done (barring a total collapse by UT-M), while the winner will have a good case for the playoffs if it wins out.

blueballs
November 2nd, 2006, 05:55 PM

Can't happen, teams from the same conference can't meet in the first round.

BTW, after reading some of the posts some clarification is in order.

TSN has done this ranking since Tony Moss wrote the column and the ranking is for the respective teams' likelyhood of making the playoffs, not their relative strength. In other words, according to this ranking, App is the team most likely to make the playoffs and Montana is the second most likely, and so on.

This is not to be construed with a list ranking who is better than who, just who is more likely to get in the big dance.

After all, we all know the 2006 USD team is the greatest team in the history of the division. You could take an allstar team of all the players who played on the six NC teams from GSU and they would still get run by 40 by the 2006 USD juggarnaut. In fact, i like the 2006 USD team's chances against the 1-AA ALL TIME ALL STAR team, I think it would be a closer game with USD only winning by 20.

If you don't believe it, just read the multitude of threads on this forum.xidiotx